@squadfather40 Stick to the book.

Comment

Re: (OOC) - The Path of Dragons we go

Originally posted by zackepic22 View Post
        @squadfather40 Stick to the book.
        Rgr...

Comment

as a second son, do I need the trait Sponsor?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrondir View Post
            as a second son, do I need the trait Sponsor?
            I'm not aware of any such rule. What's made you think you might need it?

Comment

Positions inside the House, like Head of the House and Heir, demark the big advantage of having all the resources of a House under your control, but if my father dies, I'll become the new Heir, without having to have invested any destiny points on it, although I would lose such trait as well as long as my brother has a child. I serve the House and my main authority comes from my brother and/or my father, and they feed me, dress me and give me a roof, that sounds like sponsorship for me.

Comment

If the lord of the house dies, his heir gets to trade in his Heir benefit for Head of the House at no further cost in DP, that much is true. But your character wouldn't gain the Heir benefit without paying a DP for it. What your status would be in the house until you do is open to debate - it may be that you're not yet officially recognized as your brother's heir, or that you are, but you haven't yet gained enough influence to be secure in your position and to gain the attendant benefits.

As for the Sponsor benefit, your description is quite different from the description of the Sponsor benefit in the rulebook. Everything you wrote is available to you as a ranking member of your house - it doesn't require you to buy the Sponsor benefit first. That said, there's nothing preventing you from buying Sponsor if you want it for the benefits it provides by itself, and you could always drop it later and use the DP to buy the Heir benefit instead.

That's how I see it anyway. Zack may have a different interpretation.

Comment

I'm kind of stuck on what all to take as far as benefits. Being the 1st born son...Heir is a given.

I'm bringing him in as a warrior, but based on speed rather than sheer power. Also since dear old dad is a zealot my character is the logical choice to go out on any fact finding missions that dad needs.

So I'm thinking of him as a kind of duelist style character. So what is the better choice...Bravossi or Waterdancing? Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by squadfather40 View Post
                    I'm kind of stuck on what all to take as far as benefits. Being the 1st born son...Heir is a given.

I'm bringing him in as a warrior, but based on speed rather than sheer power. Also since dear old dad is a zealot my character is the logical choice to go out on any fact finding missions that dad needs.

So I'm thinking of him as a kind of duelist style character. So what is the better choice...Bravossi or Waterdancing? Any other suggestions?
                    By speed, I assume you're thinking in terms of using Agility-based weapons and dodging attacks rather than soaking damage with heavy armour? In my experience, that's actually quite a difficult thing to pull off in SIFRP. Getting your CD high enough that most attacks will miss completely is quite difficult, and with no armour or very light armour, even 1 DoS on an attack will start to damage your Health. Meanwhile, since light weapons generally don't do as much damage as a longsword, you're going to need to consistently be able to manage 2 or even 3 DoS vs. heavy armour users in order to outdamage them and therefore outlast them in a combat between equals (i.e. a primary NC, but even a secondary NC can last for a long time thanks to being able to take injuries to recover Health).

The most effective benefit I've found for quickly boosting your CD is actually Acrobatic Defense. At the cost of a Lesser Action you get twice your number of Acrobatics specialty dice as a bonus to CD. The downside is pretty obvious though - you need to pump those Acrobatics dice to get the most out of the benefit, and you can't move and attack in the same round that you're using Acrobatic Defense unless you can spend fatigue or DP for extra actions. You also can't wear any armour with Bulk 1 or more.

The Water Dancer chain gives you interesting bonuses to Awareness and Agility, but you have to get to Water Dancer III before you actually get any bonuses to CD. In contrast, Braavosi Fighter I is a simple +1 CD that's always on as long you're using a fencing weapon, and BF II gets you a variable +1 to +4 bonus to CD at the cost of a Greater Action attack. If your aim is to boost your CD as high as possible, I would therefore pick BF I and II. The Braavosi Fighter chain can also be freely combined with all sorts of armour.

Optionally, you could ignore BF II and make sure to always attack using the Cautious Attack Lesser Action. That will net you +3 CD at the cost of -1D. With Fighting 5 (Fencing Blades 2B), wielding a Braavosi Blade and a left-hand dagger, you'll be rolling 7 dice and keeping 4 to hit, and your CD will get a +6 boost from the dagger, BF I, and Cautious Attack. If your base CD is 11, you'll get CD 17, which is good, and you might even accept lowering it a bit by wearing ring mail or a breastplate to soak some damage. Picking up Armor Mastery to boost your protection and lowering Bulk might be a good idea in this case.

Another low cost option to boost your CD is Shield Mastery - for every specialty dice you invest in Shields, you improve the Defensive bonus of a shield by +1, up to a maximum of double the base bonus provided by the shield. Using a normal shield and 2B in Shields would therefore net you +4 CD, the same as a large shield but without the Bulk to slow you down.

Comment

@Rax- thanks for the advice. I'll probably switch a few things up.

Will there be any different threads up that will have background info, house info, various characters we interact with?

Comment

@squadfather40
                        You're welcome.

I'm wondering the same things. A thread to post our characters in also seems like a good idea - my character is mostly done except for the background, which as usual is taking me some time to bash into a shape.

BTW, did we settle on a name for the house? I believe zackepic suggested Orysgon, which I suggested be shortened to Oryson. Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Hey guys, sorry for my silence in recent days. I really wanted to join this game, but the last days have showed that I really dont have the time on a regular basis for another game.
                          At least, I realize that before any character was somehow implemented and I did not waste a narrators time.
                          Sorry again and I look forward to follow your game.

Comment

Is this still going to start?

Comment

Originally posted by Owlhunter View Post
                              Hey guys, sorry for my silence in recent days. I really wanted to join this game, but the last days have showed that I really dont have the time on a regular basis for another game.
                              At least, I realize that before any character was somehow implemented and I did not waste a narrators time.
                              Sorry again and I look forward to follow your game.
                              No worries mate, good of you to let everyone know.

Originally posted by squadfather40
                              Is this still going to start?
                              Well, the lack of recent updates from zackepic isn't very encouraging...

Comment

We will do this game, I will do threads for stuff like that, and I will start the IC thread some time in July.

Comment

Working...
                                X