Spark to Powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark to Powder

Edit: Realized I missed the 'd' in the thread title. Anyway to change it, or will I just have to look like a goober for all time?

So, I just bought the newest addition to the Chronicle System, Spark to Powder, and thought I'd post my thoughts for anyone on the fence about picking it up.

Green Ronin's description: "This PDF book presents equipment and Benefits that reflect the advent of gunpowder and firearms technologies, but also examines some of its ramifications on a House’s Holdings and its Warfare Units as well."

Weapons and Armor:

The rules for guns and armor use the Quality system to add a new dimension to a game with firearms. There's even weapon qualities that differentiate between how advanced a particular firearm is, which may invalidate certain drawbacks and add others. Pretty nifty overall. There's more in there as well, dealing explosives, but I've yet to really dive into these rules.

Benefits and Drawbacks:

The new benefits mostly play off of new qualities introduced for firearms. Some, like Notorious Duelist and Quick Draw could be converted to work in a Song of Ice and Fire game with a little bit of effort. Drawbacks like Deaf and Partially Blind, however, are usable even in games where firearms aren't present. Personally, I always find choosing a Drawback to be one of the most difficult parts of character creation, so more options are always welcome.

Duel Rules:

Probably my favorite bit added into Spark to Powder is the new rules for dueling. As the book suggests, these rules work for systems that don't include firearms. The first thing that comes to mind is dueling bravos in the Free Cities. The dueling rules use the intrigue rules and the combat rules. Parties first intrigue to determine the peculiarities of the duel, and winning any of the five categories confers separate benefits for the duel itself.

Other Stuff:

Aside from adding a ton of units (both land and naval), there's a section that talks about the mechanics of scaling different sized fortifications like castles, and getting across moats. There's also new holdings, cannon rules, and a ton of other goodness I haven't had a chance to read over in depth.

This book is a must if you plan on running a chronicle set in the age of muskets, but there's plenty here to add to a regular ASoIaF game as well.
    Last edited by Carriker; 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM. Reason: Forgot a 'd' in the thread title. >.<

Re: Spark to Powder

Originally posted by Ser Daerin View Post
    Edit: Realized I missed the 'd' in the thread title. Anyway to change it, or will I just have to look like a goober for all time?
    I gotcha.

Thanks for all the kind regard! I'm really glad folks seem to like Spark to Powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Carriker View Post
      I gotcha.
      Thanks for that, it would have haunted me.

Any discussion about doing a more modern firearms book or suggestions for how you'd approach it? I have a Firefly game and a Battlestar Galactica game I run in the Chronicle System, and I've only barely muddled through coming up with my own rules for guns.

Comment

The Treacherous weapon quality says that your weapon explodes if you roll more 1s than the number at the quality, but in the longarms table the quality is never listed with a number, does that mean that the weapons explode if a single 1 is rolled that is not a bonus dice or are the numbers just missing in the list?

Comment

Spark to Powder is listed in the online store under "Chronicle System," but not under Song of Ice and Fire. I realize this is probably intentional, but a search under Chronicle System reveals ONLY Spark to Powder.

It just seems hard to find. I was shopping for SIFRP today and would never have found Spark to Powder if I hadn't visited this thread.

Comment

Two questions which come to mind:

I assume the attacks are based on Marksmanship (specialty Firearms) but is their damage based on an ability modifier? Agility? Awareness?

Does the book attempt to "balance" firearms against weapons provided in the core game or are they (realistically) much more useful?

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
              Two questions which come to mind:

I assume the attacks are based on Marksmanship (specialty Firearms) but is their damage based on an ability modifier? Agility? Awareness?

Does the book attempt to "balance" firearms against weapons provided in the core game or are they (realistically) much more useful?
              Firearms use Marksmanship, but their damage is static rather than being based on the skill of the wielder, so even an untrained wielder is extremely dangerous (in theory, anyway). They also have high penetration value, which all but negates conventional armor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugor View Post
                The Treacherous weapon quality says that your weapon explodes if you roll more 1s than the number at the quality, but in the longarms table the quality is never listed with a number, does that mean that the weapons explode if a single 1 is rolled that is not a bonus dice or are the numbers just missing in the list?
                When I read through, this jumped out at me as well. Is there errata anywhere?

Comment

Does anyone know if the folk form Green Ronin read this forum? Is there a better way to get answers to questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Grolsh View Post
                    Does anyone know if the folk form Green Ronin read this forum? Is there a better way to get answers to questions?
                    Custserv@greenronin.com

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X