Scriptorum and Research Archivists in Out of Strife, Prosperity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptorum and Research Archivists in Out of Strife, Prosperity

I have a questions about the Improvements Scriptorum and Research Archivists for the Library Holding. There is not a "+" in front of their costs, so I'm not sure if this is a normal additional cost or a single cost. For example, if I have a Lordly Library, what would I need to pay for a Scriptorum?

a) 3 Defense and 12 Wealth
    b) just 5 Wealth

Re: Scriptorum and Research Archivists in Out of Strife, Prosperity

Both the Scriptorum and the Research Archivists are improvements to existing Library Holdings, so it stands to reason that the listed costs are in addition to the costs for a Library Holding. The lack of a plus sign is probably just a misprint.

In your example, you would pay 3 Defense and 12 Wealth for a Lordly Library (7 Wealth) with an attached Scriptorum (5 Wealth).

/rax

Comment

Thanks. But I'm still not sure, what happens to improvement costs, if they will be built much later after the base building has been built. Do the players have to pay the costs of the base building again in order to built the improvement?

Comment

From page 2, Improvements:
        Many of the Holdings detailed here include a trait or collection of traits called Improvements. These are ways in which the holding might be advanced through money and time, increasing the benefits of the holding.

Unless indicated otherwise, a Holding may be improved with only a single Improvement. Improvements that do not count for the purpose of this limit are marked with an asterix (*) after their name.

Each Improvement has a Wealth cost and a Time cost. The Wealth cost is in addition to the cost of the Holding itself, while the Time is how long it takes, once the Improvement has been paid for, before the Improvement is in place. A Holding continues to provide its normal benefits even while Improvements are being established.
        There's no mention of an Improvement needing to be added within a certain timespan of purchasing the Holding itself. As har as I can tell, you can decide to add the Improvement at any time you can afford the cost in Wealth. Then you just wait for the prescribed time to pass and voila - your holding has been improved.

/rax

Comment

Yeah, but that description just confuses me. Especially the sentence: The Wealth cost is in addition to the cost of the Holding itself
          To me it sounded like, you have to repay the base build cost for the improvement and on top of that the improvement cost. But that would be a pretty high cost, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Candacis View Post
            Yeah, but that description just confuses me. Especially the sentence: The Wealth cost is in addition to the cost of the Holding itself
            To me it sounded like, you have to repay the base build cost for the improvement and on top of that the improvement cost. But that would be a pretty high cost, wouldn't it?
            It certainly would! (be a high cost, that is)

The important thing to understand is that the section on improvements assumes that you've already paid for your holding - otherwise there would be no holding to improve. Therefore, when it's stated that "The Wealth cost is in addition to the cost of the Holding itself...", it's just reinforcing the point that you need to have a holding in the first place in order to buy an improvement for it. It doesn't mean that you need to pay for the actual holding a second time.

/rax

Comment

Originally posted by rax View Post
              It doesn't mean that you need to pay for the actual holding a second time.
              /rax
              Right you are, Rax. The cost for Improvements is entirely wrapped up in themselves - there's no additional costs outside of what is presented in the Improvement description.

And no, you don't need to purchase an Improvement within a certain time frame of purchasing a Holding. You can upgrade it as soon as the Holding is established, or generations later.

Comment

Working...
              X