Firearms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms

Has anyone homebrewed firearms for the chronicle system? Agility just doesn't seem like the right skill to influence base damage. I set up base damage for different calibers but there's a lot of book keeping ( being a gun enthusiast I made seperate qualities and damage for various firearms.)

Re: Firearms

Agility just doesn't seem like the right skill to influence base damage
    Sure it is, for the same reason it's the right skill for crossbows: a steady hand is a more reliable shot. Is it a perfect fit? No: the ability to hold your hand steady is not the same as your ability to do backflips.

If you felt like it you could key it off of awareness instead, with the idea that eyesight is more relevant that controlled motions. Personally, I'd have handguns key off of agility while long-guns key off of awareness.

Comment

What about having firearms deal a flat damage value instead of keying off an ability? It would certainly play up the equalizer factor of early firearms on the battlefield to have even Agility 2 conscripts dealing decent damage.

Here's my crack at muskets & early pistols:

Musket
      Specialty: Firearms
      Training:
      Damage: 5
      Qualities: Medium Range, Piercing 4, Reload (Greater), Slow, Two-Handed, Unwieldy, Vicious

NEW QUALITY: MEDIUM RANGE
      A Medium Range weapon has an effective range of 50 yards, meaning you can attack opponents within 50 yards at no penalty. You can still attack opponents beyond this range, but you take –1D for every 50 yards beyond this range. Thus, attacking an opponent that’s 51 yards away imposes –1D on your Marksmanship test.

Pistol
      Specialty: Firearms
      Training:
      Damage: 5
      Qualities: Close Range, Piercing 3, Reload (Greater), Slow, Vicious

I set the base damage at 5 – equivalent to an Agility 3 character shooting a heavy crossbow, and enough that a single degree of success won't one-shot Endurance 2 characters while still messing them up pretty bad. Higher Piercing values than any weapon in the book makes sure some gets through. I like having the base damage the same for both sidearms and longarms, with range and Piercing value being superior for the larger weapons. Vicious is a no-brainer.

Reload (Greater) is an unrealistically fast reload time for muzzle-loading guns, but it's unrealistically fast for heavy crossbows too, so whatever.

I think the new Medium Range based on 50 yard increments works for non-rifled muskets. Later rifled longarms could probably go with standard Long Range.
      Last edited by BrianD; 07-13-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianD View Post
        What about having firearms deal a flat damage value instead of keying off an ability? It would certainly play up the equalizer factor of early firearms on the battlefield to have even Agility 2 conscripts dealing decent damage.
        If I were to add firearms, I thin I'd simply give them a bigger bonus to damage based off agility (such as +3 or +4?) to reflect the deadliness of Firearms but also still tie them to accuracy. Also, I can see many of them having penetration 3 or shattering 3 to reflect the uselessness of armor against them.

Comment

I ended up putting flat numbers for damage rather than using a skill. guns are the great equalizers and I wanted a novice to be able to have high damage output. making anyone using one extremely dangerous.

Comment

And how about cannons? I'm actually thinking about game in happening a few hundred years from War of Five Kings. Era would be similar like time in Louis XIV in France was. Kingsguard would still be Royal Protectors, now more like Musketeers. Noble families would wrestle about favor of King/Queen like before and at the same time economic power of Braavosi is rising like Venice in 17th and 18th hundred in Europe... Water Dancers would rule streets and every powerful Noble House would have their own Dance Master.

Comment

Working...
            X