War-Mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War-Mage

So perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but is there any use for War-Mage III at the moment? I can't think of any spells in Chronicle of Sorcery that I can actually attack someone with, other than the one that stops them using Magic, and given the same absence of Battle Magic restricts them as well, it's not like that is going to be useful right now...

Re: War-Mage

I did manage to find some combat magic but its not in the Chronicle of Sorcery, but in the Legends of the Woodlands. There is a character called Hag of the Dark Woods which has some magical combat which is a good guideline to develop your own. However, Chronicle of Sorcery is disappointing with the examples for spells especially for Combat and Warfare which it eludes to but never gives an example.

War-Mage III is still usable in its current state. The War-Mage can cast any spell and a weapon. It doesn't necessarily has to be a damage dealing spell.

Comment

I suppose you could work with something like Casting or Reading against your foe. But that seems of limited usefulness if they're about to die.

And how does that work with the resonances? I mean Omens and Trances both take 10 minutes to cast, Somatomancy requires you to grope your opponents face or hands or feet... I guess Sortilege could work if you had dice in your off hand.

Comment

Somatomancy does not necessairly mean groping the individual since schematomancy is the study of facial features. "The slightest lines, shapes, and textures are interpreted for signs of who the person is and where their destiny leads." You could use somatomancy to live long for this world or they are doomed to die to you.

As for resonances that's really up to the narrator and what is being cast. Besides spending a destiny point or burning one, battle magic still seems to be prepared before going into battle.

Spells under Alchemy could very well be potions being thrown at the person at the same time. Personally, I find Blood Sorcery and Spirit-Whispering to be more on-the-fly spells appropriate for combat. Blood is easy to get if the individual is wounded and works if you attack at the same time you need their blood to cast the spell. Spirit-Whispering you can spend a free action to "talk" to the spirits. Wortcunning you need herbs you carry on you before battle. Talismanic Sorcery you need to have prepared talismans.

The problem is that Chronicle of Sorcery is so vague about this that Narrators have to design their own spells without any reference. Sure it gives a few generic techniques but overall not useful with interacting with other individuals. I've been trying to create my own techniques for Blood Sorcery and Spirit-Whispering for my own campaign but finding the right balance is difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial Lord Red View Post
          Somatomancy does not necessairly mean groping the individual since schematomancy is the study of facial features. "The slightest lines, shapes, and textures are interpreted for signs of who the person is and where their destiny leads." You could use somatomancy to live long for this world or they are doomed to die to you.
          "requiring that the target permit the sorcerer to touch them while reading their bodies"
          Originally posted by Imperial Lord Red View Post
          The problem is that Chronicle of Sorcery is so vague about this that Narrators have to design their own spells without any reference. Sure it gives a few generic techniques but overall not useful with interacting with other individuals. I've been trying to create my own techniques for Blood Sorcery and Spirit-Whispering for my own campaign but finding the right balance is difficult.
          The Lore PDFs can't be released quickly enough.

Comment

The Lore PDFs won't really do very much to answer this question. AFAIK the Lore PDFs are only planned to expand upon the traditions listed in the Chronicle of Sorcery (though I could be wrong). What is needed is full treatment of magic in the Chronicle system. If nothing else then I would like to see GR do something like what they are doing with the Mountain Terrors (ie release a different style of magic every week.) I find the current CoS to be an interesting read, but not really helpful, both because the lack of solid information and the choice of styles of magic.

Comment

I'm happy with the magic that we do have in CoS, but I'm keen for more, especially to fill in the gaps left in CoS.

Comment

Working...
              X