Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Mechanical/Editing Problem with Spy Network (Out of Strife, Prosperity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Mechanical/Editing Problem with Spy Network (Out of Strife, Prosperity)

I believe something slipped by editing in Out of Strife, Prosperity, and sadly it is of significant mechanical importance.

Each time the Connections Benefit of a cell of spies is employed, it requires a Cunning test to determine whether those being spied upon discover this fact. This test is at Routine (6) Difficulty for those with a Law of 30 or lower, and a +3 Difficulty per 5 points of Law above that. If this test fails, the cell of spies is compromised and lost. With two or more degrees of success on this test, the identity of the spy cell’s master become revealed as well. A public revelation of a lord possessing a spy network results in the loss of 1d3+3 Influence.
    and

Expert Spies*: +5 Wealth; 1d6 months. Your spies are well skilled at remaining unseen. New Rule: Cunning tests to detect your spies receive a -1D penalty.
    It appears that the mechanical language was edited or changed at some point and the discarded mechanics were not completely purged. Either the player deploying the spy makes the Cunning roll (making "With two or more degrees of success on this test, the identity of the spy cell’s master become revealed as well" irrational) or the target of the spy action makes the Cunning roll to detect the spies (making "If this test fails, the cell of spies is compromised and lost" irrational).

It is my suspicion that either the "With two degrees of success" sentence was intended to be cut out (which means Expert Spies needs revision) or the authors intended to add a sentence between "compromised and lost" and "With two degrees" but never managed to do so. Sadly, this forgotten sentence (which might be about an opposed roll?) is critical to the operation of the mechanic.

It is possible this got fixed somewhere and I have been unable to find it, but I haven't seen an errata or anything similar. If I missed it, apologies, if not, how should this be resolved?

Re: Large Mechanical/Editing Problem with Spy Network (Out of Strife, Prosperity)

I am interested in this, too.

Comment

Re: Large Mechanical/Editing Problem with Spy Network (Out of Strife, Prosperity)

An easy fix would be: With two or more degrees of FAILURE on this test, the identity of the spy cell’s master become revealed as well.

And for Expert Spies: New Rule: Cunning tests to prevent detection of your spies receive a +1D bonus.
      Last edited by Zeroed; 3rd February 2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X