House rules for axes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House rules for axes

I am a little more familiar with the rules now then I use to be and was wondering if anybody made any adjustments to axes - either their damages or their qualities? Somebody once told me that in regards to this system axes were essentially cheap swords, and that while a combat oriented character should consider carrying at least two types of weapons (for different effects) an axe and a sword would be closer to redundancy then not. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Re: House rules for axes

We created a special two handed axe (like the dane axe), because the longaxe was a little bit to heavy for our taste. Concerning stats it is based of the mattock: streangth+1 damage, two handed and powerful.

Comment

I actually house-ruled (based on a comment on a thread on here somewhere, I think) that adaptable weapons (battle axe, bastard sword, etc) gain the Powerful quality when used with both hands. Honestly, if you don't go that way, the Adaptable quality is completely mechanically useless. If you have a free hand, you can get +1 to Damage (see Fist in the weapon list). So without Powerful, taking your battle axe in both hands is just the same as punching someone.
      Last edited by deef; 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Adding powerful to adaptable makes sense, and makes adaptable weapons more respectable. I had been considering how to make axes different then swords, and thought of adding a shattering quality of 1 (perhaps 2 for a longaxe) then making the crowbill piercing +1 instead of shattering. In anybodies experience, would that keep balance yet make the axes different yet worth while?

Comment

Well, Adaptable is not exactly the same as attacking with your weapon and your bare hand with its Off-Hand bonus... The mechanical effect damage-wise is the same, but when you attack with both your axe and your bare hand, it is a Two-Weapon Attack, and thus becomes a Greater Action... In other words, you lose a Lesser Action to do something else, such as a Move, or a special action like Aim, Maneuver, Knockdown, Distract, etc. or the ability to do another type of attack like a Cautious Attack or Reckless Attack...

It's a small tactical advantage, but an advantage nonetheless...
          Last edited by Zeroed; 02-06-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I took a different way by instead of "nerfing" axes, which are in fact the strongest weapons in the game, to buffing other weapon styles.
            I also house-ruled the adaptable quality.

You can find my house-rules, either for use or inspiration, here: https://roninarmy.com/threads/6105-M...les#post231774

Comment

Working...
            X