Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Debate] MORE OBJECTIVES - INTRIGUE

Hi, folks.

According to the book, there are four main objectives in an Intrigue: Friendship, Information, Service and Deceit.

They are wide and vague, general, perhaps in order to include a great variety of situations.

However, the book also says this is not an extensive list: "This list is by no means complete, but it gives you a good foundation for coming up with objectives relevant to your situation in the game." (p. 141)

What other objectives could we include in Intrigue, following the same model from the main four?

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Re: [Debate] MORE OBJECTIVES - INTRIGUE

Honestly, I've mostly ignored that stuff. Like the part about Vice and Virtue and role in the character creation chapter, which I just skip past because none of that helps me to give any guidelines on how to play my character.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorbeltuss View Post
      Honestly, I've mostly ignored that stuff. Like the part about Vice and Virtue and role in the character creation chapter, which I just skip past because none of that helps me to give any guidelines on how to play my character.
      Thanks for answering.

A lot of people ignore parts of a RPG system that are not strictly related to mechanichs. But it happens that objectives are not the case.

There's an Intrigue Action called "Red Other", in which you see the target's disposition and Objective, if you're succesful. And knowing what your opponent wants may change everything in an Intrigue.

That said, a lot of people define Objectives on the fly and I know that works pretty fine. I've done it too.

I want more Objectives so we can have a wider range of options to apply to mechanichs, when we show the Narrator an Objective in the beggining of an Intrigue.

Comment

I think the problem with establishing more objectives for intrigue is that the four listed are so broad already (especially Service, which is kind of a catch-all). From my own games, I can really only recall two instances where I had to consider for a moment whether an NPC or PC objective fell within the default four. Namely, instances where one party had a goal and the other didn't, and instances where one party was attempting to seduce another without some hidden agenda. In the first case, I typically decide 'Friendship', since the party doesn't want to risk offending their 'opponent' by being rude and shutting down the conversation/intrigue. In the second, I typically lump it under 'Service', since at the end of the day one party wants something the other has.

I suppose the former case might warrant 'Save-Face' or something similar as an objective, which might also beg for an 'Embarrass' or 'Humiliate' objective as well.

Comment

I'm inclined to say there's a "Persuade" objective.
          Sometimes you want to make the other person change their view on a particular area. You could call it "service" or "friendship" if you want, but the focus is different.
          You persuade the Lord of the North that winter is coming *right now*. You might do that because the service you want is letting wildlings take refuge south of the wall. But you might do it with the knowledge that there's a whole heap of stuff he should be doing (and you want him doing all of it)- the implications are different.

Comment

"Save Face"; "Embarass/Humiliate"; and "Persuade" are good suggestions. Thanks, people.

Indeed, the four default ones, "Friendship, Information, Service and Trickery" are very broad. Many things could be classified as one of these objectives.

But certainly not everything. As you guys mentioned, there are some situations at table when you wonder in which Objective a PC's purpose falls into, since it doesn't seem to be any of the main four.

That's why I wanted to think about more options.

This brainstorm is precisely what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X