Announcement

Collapse

New Server

RoninArmy.com now lives on a new server! Due to a communication mixup with our hosting company, some posts made around November 3, 2019 might have been overwritten. We apologize for the inconvenience. If anything seems off or doesn't work any more (or if anything works better now), we'd like to hear about it. Thanks!
See more
See less

Rewards after sacking a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewards after sacking a city

Hello everybody ,

does anyone have suggestions on how to quantify in Wealth, Power and other resources the successful sacking of a city?
    I'm not particulary interested right now in the easier resources like Land and Defense because the group already moved on after the attack.

At first tought I would chose a dice pool (i.e. 2d6 Wealth worth of gold, jewels, artifacts and so on, 2d6 of Power due to troops switching sides…) and have the players roll for it, but it seems too arbitrary.

Any idea or previous experience to share?

Thank you!

I have no first handed experience (because sacking a whole city was until now not part of our play) - but I have some ideas:

The resources you get from sacking a city would of course depend on several factors:
    a) how big/ rich is the town/ city etc. - a small border town brings much less than a rich merchant town along the Kingsroad
    b) how was the sacking done: what order had your troops and how did they behave - troops running amok will certainly reduce the gained resources, because much is lost due to destruction, fire etc. On the other hand, if your party had f. e. given strict order to minimize the civilian casualties and spare f. e. the local septs etc. - this might also reduce the income.
    Of course such orders do only apply, if the troops follow them - in such cases, some command tests might be needed to decide, if the orders or followed or if the troops (especially if they are hungry/ echausted or had lost many comrades) simply abandon all order and go on a rampage.
    In this cases, a failed test might even mean, that the attacker loose some power (by troops who desert or get lost during the sacking ) or the officers (chars) are even attacked by some of their own men if they try to enforce their orders
    b) How is the booty split between command and common soldier? it is normal that a certain part of the spoils of war are for the soldiers semself - and of course many might keep gold and other precious things for semselfes. Again, a command test might decide how effective the orders are followed.

While it is logical that you get wealth from plundering a city, with other ressources it is up to debate:
    - Power: this might occure, if your success give you fame which attract hedge knights, mercenaries etc.
    - Influence: it is a good possibility that you get (at least a little bit) Influence by showing your military prowness whith sacking an hostile town
    - Population: this might occure if you take people with you to your homeland - but this might also reduce your law (they might be hostile towards you) and try to flee. Some good status (Stewardship tests) or good role play/ some intrigues might help)

Concerning your consideration of 2d6 Wealth and Power as result i would think this is too much. The ouse which hhad hold the town probably will loose much more ressources than the sacking house gain.

Sacking a city is no clean wealth/ power transfer - much is lost/ destroyed or remains at place. I think 1-2 d6 for ALL probable ressourves is fairly enough - which might of course change depending on how the sacking happened etc.

Comment

In "Step 11: Resolution and Consequences" of the "Anatomy of a Battle" section in "Chapter 10: Warfare" of the roleplaying guide, it is specified that if there is a community (hamlet, town, city, etc.) or a stronghold (tower, hall, castle, etc.), the Wealth of the victor is increased by 1d6-1... I guess you could also add a few modifiers into that roll; for example, I would house rule that any holdings in that particular domain granting a modifier to either House Fortune Rolls or Wealth Resource Gain may increase/reduce that generic 1d6-1 roll by the same modifier. You can add the House Fortune modifiers from the Law and Population resources too if you want.

As far as Power or Population or Law or Influence resources gains are concerned after sacking a city, I would say that you could simply apply the Glory point(s) gained from this battle to any of these resources... Your glory from that victory attracts followers (Power and Population), increases your fame and reputation (Influence) or makes you even more feared, making bandits think twice about roaming your lands (Law).

Comment

Working...
      X