X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axe Mastery 2 looks weak

Marauder wrote this:

Axe Mastery II - 5/5
    I swear this tree is unfair. Getting 2 DoS with 5 test dice is far more likely than it sounds even without bonus dice and all you need is to deal even 1 point of damage (easily done by upping Athletics and/or Strength bonus dice). Even the guy with full plate will take an Injury for that 1 point just to avoid the automatic wound.
    My question: if you can nix the wound by reducing damage to 0 with a wound or injury, then what, exactly is the point? At 3 - 5 points of damage, my wound is replaced with an injury. At a large pile of damage, my wound is replaced with another wound. Axe Mastery II looks fairly redundant.

WDG

I don't think you can mitigate the wound from Axe Fighter II by taking an injury. The rule reads:
    "On a hit with the attack and if you get at least two degrees of success, the target takes wound in addition to any damage the attack deals."

So, it takes a "hit" and 2 DoS. Even if you "mitigate" the damage by taking an injury or wound, you clearly received a hit not mitigated by your armor. You could also very well argue taking an injury is the equivalent to taking damage even if it is not health damage.

Also keep in mind that the wound received by AFII is in addition to any wound taken to mitigate damage.
    Last edited by Adair; 08-19-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

That's weird. Is this an edition change? My (GOT) edition says:
      "Whenever you are armed with an axe and roll a Fighting test to attack a foe, you can sacrifice all your bonus dice to threaten a bloody wound. If you DAMAGE YOUR FOE and get at least two degrees of success, that opponent takes a wound in addition to any damage the attack deals. The wound does not also reduce damage."
      Does this mean my foe cannot take an injury or three at the front end, dropping damage to 0 and negating his wound?
      Last edited by welldressedgent; 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by welldressedgent View Post
        That's weird. Is this an edition change? My (GOT) edition says:

Does this mean my foe cannot take an injury or three at the front end, dropping damage to 0 and negating his wound?
        It would take only the finest and most stubborn of rules lawyers to try and convince me that taking injuries to prevent HP loss is somehow not being damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Starblayde View Post
          It would take only the finest and most stubborn of rules lawyers to try and convince me that taking injuries to prevent HP loss is somehow not being damaged.
          I agree.

My GoT edition reads:
          Whenever you make a Fighting test to attack using an axe, you can sacrifice all your bonus dice before the test to deal additional damage.
          On a hit with the attack and if you get at least two degrees of success, the target takes wound in addition to any damage the attack deals. The wound bestowed by this benefit does not reduce any damage.

Comment

Working...
          X