Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House Creation: What do with really huge rolls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Creation: What do with really huge rolls?

So I've made an excel sheet to generate houses. On occaision, you get really huge rolls. What have you done, or what would you do in your games to handle this?

For Mountains of the Moon, I got an influence of 58, or a
    Attributues Description Total Base The Mountains of the Moon Sum Events Glory Favor Ascent Ascent Ascent
    Defense Extraordinary 61 30 20 4 4 0 0 0 0
    Influence A Great House 58 25 10 25 5 2 6 6 4
    Lands Area of Land with Several Terrain features, islands or large group of islands 31 25 -5 10 0 1 3 2 5
    Law typical level. Crime is common, but not out of control 21 27 -10 4 3 1 0 0 0
    Population Typical population. A couple small towns and a fort 28 33 -5 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Power A large diverse force, small navy & banner houses 43 22 0 22 3 4 5 6 3
    Wealth Prosperous 37 28 0 6 0 0 2 3 4
    Or for The Iron Islands, I got
    Attributues Description Total Base The Iron Islands Sum Events Favor Victory Favor Ascent Infrastructure Treachery Ascent Treachery
    Defense Good 34 23 10 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Influence Minor House 33 24 -5 14 6 4 6 1 0 -3 5 -5
    Lands Area of Land with Several Terrain features, islands or large group of islands 36 23 -5 18 5 0 1 5 6 0 1 0
    Law typical level. Crime is common, but not out of control 28 27 0 1 2 0 4 0 0 -1 0 -4
    Population Typical population. A couple small towns and a fort 22 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Power All of the seven kingdoms 62 31 10 21 1 5 2 2 0 3 4 4
    Wealth Prosperous 35 29 0 6 0 0 0 1 1 0 4 0
    Note: Infrastructure adds +1d6 to two categories of a choice 250
    Which has power 62 or "power of the 7 kingdoms" but otherwise some middling results. I basically think is just flat out House Greyjoy, or would be a PC version of it... But the influence isn't high enough.

Thoughts?

The only reasonable thing to do is ignore the descriptions of what these numbers mean. They are completely out of whack with both the fiction and the rest of the rules. Our northern house had lands "representing a considerable portion of Westeros' geography" and was only short of "most, if not all, of the Seven Kingdoms". That is obviously not possible, especially combined with the actual description of domains, which are at the other end: too small to support the rest of the categories

So, do away with the descriptions and accept that the whole House Creation is not about creating all houses in Westeros, from the poorest landed knights to the king's household, but just meant to simulate houses for players, which means at least one step, but usually more below the regional lords.

Comment

For me, this is one of those where you accept that the House is just plain awesome. They're the House that the Arryns worry about, because they're big, powerful and you're unlikely to ever shift them off their lands.

I'd recommend that no PC be the Lord, because they're much too important in the Vale to be off adventuring, and leave that role to the Narrator (with the promise the Lord won't intentionally try and screw the PCs over) and have the heir (or even a second-born) as the highest status PC. This set of rolls allows slightly less bumming around in random taverns (unless the idea is to have any trouble the party causes not manage to get back to the Lords because they have to cover it up so well in play) and opens up the ability to move in the highest circles and genuinely be able to play the game of thrones and be the Lords of the Vale - if, of course, that's the kind of game the PCs and Narrator want to play.

Comment

Good thoughts, guys. Part of the issue is that the individual points aware awarded logarithmically, but the flavor text is exponential. I think it's a classic case of game designers who don't know the implications of their own math. If nothing else, each "tier" of points needs to give exponentially more rewards (unit #'s increase, or land sizes increase etc).

Martin is rather unclear just how big the individual size of each Great House's direct demesnes are. The idea that they control a single, central city and maybe a couple of others is my recollection of the lore.

Comment

Most of them doesn't have "cities", market towns maybe, villages. The economy mostly runs on taking a cut of the peasant's grain to feed the soldiers that prevents the peasants and neighbors from getting any funny ideas. Then you have the bigger lords that also takes a cut from the lesser lords below them in the chain. As others have said, ignore the descriptions, work with the actual resources you get and then make an educated guess at where on the pecking order the resources puts them (size of their forces and such).

Comment

Working...
          X