What!??!?! I Just Found This!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What!??!?! I Just Found This!!!

Holy crap, I did not know this series had an actual RPG game out. If I may, what time frame does this RPG take place in? Before the HBO show? After? For sure not during the tv series. Can someone tell me a little about this game please? HUGE fan of the show so this for real has my attention since I have been an avid D&D RPG gamer for 40'ish years.

32 views and not a single comment. lol what a lively community we have here :/
    Last edited by RPGrandPa; 1st June 2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Well, if you want help, maybe not complain SO quickly if you don't get it at once
      I mean, I guess not all have the time to go into detail, and your questions are a little bit general. But let's see.

The timeframe is very much open to the player. Most of the material is centred around shortly before the first chapter of the books, but the system is also suited for older days. Actually we for example run our chronicle (Loyal but untamed) more or less at the same time at the event of the books - starting a year before and now are deep in the War of the five Kings. If you look deeper into this forum, you will find reports about groups which played in the "past".

The RPG is in several aspects different from many other systems. It puts much more weight in creating a home house of the characters (they are either members or servants, entourage etc.), its ressources - and it would be wise to create neighbouring houses who build the background for the stories. So it is indeed a little bit demanding for the narrator/Game-Master since he must invest quiet some time and thoughts for the background, and decisions of the players will have much more consequences since the players chars stay mostly in one area, not travelling to the next adventure. If they piss of the neighbouring lord, that will have consequences. If youy have problems with the people under the rule of their house, they may have to put down a revolt - etc.
      It is much more intrigue (for which the game has own rules, which are at least as much fleshed out than combat), political decisions, warfare etc. than for example dungeon-crawling and andventuring in the typical D&D style.
      At least that is the way it is mainly made and intended. There are other possibilites like playing as a member if the Night's Watch or the Wildlings, which differs a little bit in playstyle. You could of course make also the typical gang of heroes, and do typical fantasy-stuff, but that will maybe feel less satisfying since the game is not made mainly for this type of play.
      The combat-system and warfare-system may not be perfect, but I think they work not bad in my experience. You could easily manage small scale warfare (it becomes a little bit difficult in huge battles or sieges). But people who just are used to make the unbeatable warrior will be a little bit surprised if their hero is time and again "beaten" by some social player who could easily convince him. That could lead to conflicts, and a working group I guess need social and martial skilled people (and often a political/military skilled guy, too).

Sadly due to licence-questions as far as I understand no new Game-of-Throenes-specific-material will be published and I am not sure how easy you got all of the old material (the pdf should be possible?).

Beside the Core Rule book (some basic rules could be download for free, I think) there is the Campaign-Guide (which gives background about the different regions and houses of Westeros, and limited information to areas beyond - but not that much more information which could not be found in a good wiki of the book-material), Night's Watch (which has as I said chapters which support playing as members of the Watch, as Wildlings, details about the Wall and the North beyond the Wall, and some interesting ideas about individual Others). There is the Chronicle Starter - which has quiet a number of fleshed out new houses and locations. There are a few pre-made chronicles called Wedding Knight (around a wedding), Peril at King's Landing (intirgues and a joust) and Dragon's Hoard (about a Targaryan treasure, but there are a lot of different locations in it - maybe even too much). The quality differs, in my opinion they are ok, but need often quiet a little bit additional work, and of course you find here (and in other places) fan-made adventures as well.
      If you want to play in other times, I highly suggest you read "The World of Ice and Fire" and "Fire and Blood", since that give a lot of information beyond the books. The World of Ice and Fire is also good to play in recent times. Of course you could always change the way the story unfolds IF you want to play in the time of the books.

The general setting is low-magic, few supernatural beasts etc.
      There is also some pdf-material to download for pay which flesh out the potential of a magical system, additional beasts (not necessary World of Ice and Fire beasts) and Holdings for your house which are all based on the rule-system, without being bound to the world.

Answer this some of your questions?
      Last edited by Kajani; 2nd June 2019, 12:07 AM.

Comment

The default setting is just before the War of Five Kings (the book/tv series). I currently run campaigns set 260 and 70 years before the series. Like any pencil & paper RPG, it's what you make of it.
        I feel like some of the reason the forum is so dead is because Green Ronin no longer has the license to create new material using Martin's universe. However, frequent poster zeroed has adapted a number of excellent adventures from other systems that you can run.
        Last edited by deef; 4th June 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I simply did the layout for a few of your own adventures, deef, don't give me all the credits, they are great!

Comment

I was browsing through the various books for this RPG (which are not many sadly) and I only see something like three adventure modules. Is this all that we have for this RPG?

Questions I also have:

1) I am a old school D&D gamer and all I know is the D&D style adventures, with standard monsters, dungeon crawls and such, What actually consists of adventuring in this setting because you really do not have many monsters at all for players to fight, so is it mostly adventuring for your House? Performing tasks and such? Just unsure how this game plays.

2) I found some links to products for this game, is there a listing of ALL of this RPGs books listed somewhere?
            Last edited by JamesFullard; 16th June 2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Sadly, the three adventures mentioned (Peril at King's Landing, Wedding Knight, Dragon's Hoard) are the only official one (beside a VERY short scenario, which not really count as adventure). As it was mentioned before, there is a number of adventures (thanks to deef and zeroed) in this forum you could use and download. Each of them has its own thread, so if you go backwards you will very likely find them (or search for "SIFRP"). There is also a scenario for an adventure and several ideas in the Chronicle Starter, with a little bit work could be used. In "Night's Watch" there are quite a number of short adventures prepared - all of course at or beyond the Wall.
              Of course you could also look into the web in general, and into campaign-chronicles on this forum for ideas. But yes, it is much less official adventure-support than in other systems.

The adventures we do are from various kind. There could be obvious things - your house in part of a war, and you chars are part of the forces. That may lead to taking control of the soldiers and lead them in battle, undergo special operations against valuable targets, scout for your force, marching on the front to storm a fortress... etc.

But a lot are other things. As I said it differs from D&D. In this system you mainly deal with people. You have to make deals with other nobles for trade etc., secure peace in your own community (for example enforce justice), help to develop projects of your house. There are tournaments etc. to organize - during which problems may come up. It is much more convincing than simple slay orcs or goblins.
              Typical dungeon-crawling and monster-slaying is rare, although it could be used once and then. A rogue bear of wolves may be some kind of "monster". You may look into a bandit-hideout with little support or raid an ancient ruin or tomb. But of course that mean it has to be on your land - or you have to deal with the rightful owner of the land. We have quiet used such things a few times. But mainly we had just to deal with other humans - violently or through negotiations.

Of course it is up to you how you play the game. If you want more monsters, than play in the distant past, when wild animals were much greater in number and supernatural things not so limited in number and place as they are "these days". But the system indeed supports that not so much (there are no official stats for dragons for example, and few for other beasts). Of course you could use the material from the pdf a la Mountain terrors or woodland or so to include more monsters, if you want.
              Last edited by Kajani; 17th June 2019, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Minor addendum: There are two other short adventurers found as parts of larger books.

"Journey to King's Landing" is what I assume Kajani was referring to when he said it barely counts as an adventure, which is accurate. But you can find it in both the Quickstart Rules booklet and in the Game of Thrones Edition of the core rules.

"The Iron Plot" can be found in the Chronicle Starter book. Definitely more of a "real" adventure, though it does require a lot of GM calls. Also, if your game isn't get anywhere near the Riverlands, prepare to do more work.
                [B][URL="http://www.mygurps.com/mm3e.shtml"]My Collection of M&M (3E) House Rules[/URL][/B]
                Including . . .[LIST][*]Combat "Boosts," Investigation Montages, and more[*]New Powers, Advantages, and Gear[*]Worked Examples and Rules Clarifications[/LIST]

Comment

Working...
                X