Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most interesting character you can create?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Most interesting character you can create?

    I'm interested in what concepts and characters that people can create!

  • #2
    Re: Most interesting character you can create?

    My campaign starts in about a month. I'm looking most forward to using a Bravossi sellsword (all 3 benefits) against the group, and I'm looking least forward to the PC that has Bludgeon Fighter III.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Most interesting character you can create?

      Originally posted by bradmcd77 View Post
      My campaign starts in about a month. I'm looking most forward to using a Bravossi sellsword (all 3 benefits) against the group, and I'm looking least forward to the PC that has Bludgeon Fighter III.
      I always wondered what would happen when someone would get that high in Bludgeon Fighter, do you just squish people with a club? Haha.

      I'm people excited for a Targaryen princess I made for my forum, much like Stannis, she lives in Dragonstone and marshals her forces against the Iron Throne, she works mostly with Charismatic and Magnetic, since she is skilled in making allies. She also wants to find a dragon, and I'm kinda interested in making a Dragon Rider.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Most interesting character you can create?

        I'm actually running my game, so this isn't a character I'm using - Dan Flint. I see that name as an equivalent of 'the Boy Named Sue' in the North (if you'll recall references to the song 'Brave Danny Flint'). I envision him as the disowned heir to the Mountain Flints. I gave him the Berserker benefit as well as the Furious drawback - he's got a short fuse due to all the teasing about his name. Because of this temper, he's on the outs with his folks. He introduces himself as 'Deef' to new acquaintances (short for D.F.), which makes people think he's saying he's deaf. For added irony, I gave him the Keen Senses benefit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Most interesting character you can create?

          Originally posted by TastyCakes View Post
          I always wondered what would happen when someone would get that high in Bludgeon Fighter, do you just squish people with a club? Haha.
          I ran a few mock combats when I first bought the game. IIRC, the Bludgeon specialist was really hard to beat. With the 6D needed to take the benefit you can hit nearly everyone (in this system, offense generally outstrips defense), and you knock them down and give them a -1D penalty every time.

          ***

          As for most interesting characters, I put together a switch-hitter (combat and intrigue) with mostly 4D pools across the board but 5D for weapon and 6D for Charm. That was hard to do, but seemed like a pretty interesting guy just because I think most people specialize. With a PC like this, you can send him in when you don't know which to expect. Another one I liked was a "Warlord for Hire" - Warfare and Persuasion-focused, with the benefits Leader of Men, Cadre, and Wealthy. He comes with his own guard unit! What noble wouldn't just love that, and with a 5D Persuasion, he's a good (though by no means specialist-good) Intrigue character.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Most interesting character you can create?

            Originally posted by easl View Post
            I ran a few mock combats when I first bought the game. IIRC, the Bludgeon specialist was really hard to beat. With the 6D needed to take the benefit you can hit nearly everyone (in this system, offense generally outstrips defense), and you knock them down and give them a -1D penalty every time.

            ***

            As for most interesting characters, I put together a switch-hitter (combat and intrigue) with mostly 4D pools across the board but 5D for weapon and 6D for Charm. That was hard to do, but seemed like a pretty interesting guy just because I think most people specialize. With a PC like this, you can send him in when you don't know which to expect. Another one I liked was a "Warlord for Hire" - Warfare and Persuasion-focused, with the benefits Leader of Men, Cadre, and Wealthy. He comes with his own guard unit! What noble wouldn't just love that, and with a 5D Persuasion, he's a good (though by no means specialist-good) Intrigue character.
            What were his other stats? I've though of running with the 5D Persuasion for my Dragon Princess, but I could not justify having shit Intrigue Defense or be terrible at Awareness, since you can get a similar mechanical benefit from using Read Target successfully.
            Last edited by TastyCakes; 07-02-2015, 10:20 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Most interesting character you can create?

              easl, I love the Warlord for Hire guy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                Originally posted by TastyCakes View Post
                What were his other stats? I've though of running with the 5D Persuasion for my Dragon Princess, but I could not justify having shit Intrigue Defense or be terrible at Awareness, since you can get a similar mechanical benefit from using Read Target successfully.
                Yeah this person is certainly NOT Intrigue-first. As I said he's not a specialist in that area, he's more of a "mixed role" character concept. He's intrigue as a secondary because being able to strike a pretty good bargain is important for mercenaries...and sometimes getting the other guy to surrender without a fight is good too. With that said, here's his stats:

                Adult

                Abilities: Agility 3, Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Cunning 3, Endurance 3, Fighting 3 (Long Blade +2B), Language 3 (R/W Common), Persuasion 5 (Bargain +2B, Charm +2B), Status 3, Thievery 1, Warfare 5 (Command +1B), Will 4 (Coordinate +1B). All others at 2.

                Benefits: Cadre, Leader of Men, Wealthy. For Cadre, you probably want to take a guard unit as that allows you to attach to the unit and still operate as a commander. Its fine if 9 of them are generic, but you should probably stat out one as a 'lieutenant' who is a combat expert because that gives you more role play options in combat (see below). I took Wealthy because it really fit the theme, however for a character who is mechanically better at Intrigue, swap this out for Blood of Valyria or Blood of the Andals (Persuasion) instead.

                Drawbacks: Bastard Born.
                Destiny Points: 1

                Combat: Initiative 3D-3, Splint mail armor (AR 7, AP -3, Bulk 3). Long Sword 3D+2B, 4 Damage. Shield. Dagger (for eating/extra weapon). CD 8 (includes armor and shield), Health 9. Combat Strategy: leave the big opponents to your party's combat specialists, you are probably good enough to take out mooks but nothing more serious. You-the-player may want to consider "troupe play" and role play your lieutenant in combat (or have the lieutenant Assist one of the other PCs while the warlord Coordinates). For single, really tough opponents, take the latter option: have someone (like your lieutenant) Assist while you Coordinate, the two actions together gives another PC +10 to their attack roll.

                Intrigue (all stats are for Persuasion. For Deceit, they are 2D across the board. This mercenary plays it straight): Bargain and Charm are 5D+2B, all other types are 5D. Intrigue Defense 10, Composure 12. Influence varies from 3-5 depending on technique employed.

                Equipment: I've statted him out for Splint mail, longsword, shield, and dagger, but he may not be able to afford all that with a 3D starting wealth. In which case just get him what he can afford, wait a month, and then buy what you really want with Wealthy. This character can probably afford "top of the line of everything" after the first couple months of play, which is in keeping with him taking jobs as a mercenary general for hire. The knights in the party will quickly envy him his full plate, destrier, and castle-forged longsword. But they should; impressing the local lord with your wealth and superior arms is all part of getting (and surviving) the job...as a Warlord For Hire.
                Last edited by easl; 07-02-2015, 01:39 PM. Reason: improve

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                  Originally posted by easl View Post
                  Yeah this person is certainly NOT Intrigue-first. As I said he's not a specialist in that area, he's more of a "mixed role" character concept. He's intrigue as a secondary because being able to strike a pretty good bargain is important for mercenaries...and sometimes getting the other guy to surrender without a fight is good too. With that said, here's his stats:

                  Adult

                  Abilities: Agility 3, Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Cunning 3, Endurance 3, Fighting 3 (Long Blade +2B), Language 3 (R/W Common), Persuasion 5 (Bargain +2B, Charm +2B), Status 3, Thievery 1, Warfare 5 (Command +1B), Will 4 (Coordinate +1B). All others at 2.

                  Benefits: Cadre, Leader of Men, Wealthy. For Cadre, you probably want to take a guard unit as that allows you to attach to the unit and still operate as a commander. Its fine if 9 of them are generic, but you should probably stat out one as a 'lieutenant' who is a combat expert because that gives you more role play options in combat (see below). I took Wealthy because it really fit the theme, however for a character who is mechanically better at Intrigue, swap this out for Blood of Valyria or Blood of the Andals (Persuasion) instead.

                  Drawbacks: Bastard Born.
                  Destiny Points: 1

                  Combat: Initiative 3D-3, Splint mail armor (AR 7, AP -3, Bulk 3). Long Sword 3D+2B, 4 Damage. Shield. Dagger (for eating/extra weapon). CD 8 (includes armor and shield), Health 9. Combat Strategy: leave the big opponents to your party's combat specialists, you are probably good enough to take out mooks but nothing more serious. You-the-player may want to consider "troupe play" and role play your lieutenant in combat (or have the lieutenant Assist one of the other PCs while the warlord Coordinates). For single, really tough opponents, take the latter option: have someone (like your lieutenant) Assist while you Coordinate, the two actions together gives another PC +10 to their attack roll.

                  Intrigue (all stats are for Persuasion. For Deceit, they are 2D across the board. This mercenary plays it straight): Bargain and Charm are 5D+2B, all other types are 5D. Intrigue Defense 10, Composure 12. Influence varies from 3-5 depending on technique employed.

                  Equipment: I've statted him out for Splint mail, longsword, shield, and dagger, but he may not be able to afford all that with a 3D starting wealth. In which case just get him what he can afford, wait a month, and then buy what you really want with Wealthy. This character can probably afford "top of the line of everything" after the first couple months of play, which is in keeping with him taking jobs as a mercenary general for hire. The knights in the party will quickly envy him his full plate, destrier, and castle-forged longsword. But they should; impressing the local lord with your wealth and superior arms is all part of getting (and surviving) the job...as a Warlord For Hire.
                  Lol mind if I use this type of idea? I have Major NPC who will lead a sellsword company for a storyline on my forum, and he'd be right up my alley.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                    Originally posted by TastyCakes View Post
                    Lol mind if I use this type of idea? I have Major NPC who will lead a sellsword company for a storyline on my forum, and he'd be right up my alley.
                    I don't mind at all. Also feel free to modify it any way you want. I stuck to the chargen rules for the above stat blocks (except equipment, because starting funds are random); there is no reason you, a GM, has to do that for a NPC. In particular, I would consider tweaking his Drawbacks to fit your campaign/give him more Destiny and possibly raising his Fighting ability from 3 to 4 so he's not a complete pushover in combat.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                      My latest character is an old retired sellsword who joined a abby to find some solace,
                      but when a group of young Faith Militants stays at the abby he decides to dust of his gear and fight for the faith ...
                      the 3 faith militants are all squires who found the faith after escaping the massacre of the red wedding and being hidden for a year by monks...

                      My character(s) before this where an Ironborn one eyed drowned priest Utrggr Three Eyes with a raven familiar. Drowned and woke up with a raven pecking out his eye....yeah the same raven...lol.

                      Simultaniously i ran a outcast knight ser Ronnet who with his band went sort of Robin Hood with the goal of redeeming his Lords House to its rightfull glory, and when 18 years after the fall of the
                      House the son and heir return to claims his birthright they join him in his cause.

                      Before that i ran a bastard ser William whom was given to the black by his (evil) brother but during a raid ended up running hands bound through the northern woods oly to be foud by a group of youg nobles of a Northen House he ended up a hero of that house and a full blooded knight even went so far as kill his brother in defense i might add....eventually marrying his love and taking the seat of his birth.

                      Also a ward Ryman Hunt hidden by his father at a far away friends house, for 25 years utill they tracked him down, killing his 'Foster Father' and this went to a full scale war between several houses, i tend to build my characters in support for my campaings

                      These campains cross paths and story lines and so do characters, and yes character die or worse in my campaigns examples:

                      The lead character in my first campaing got trapped at the end of the campaign, and while his men around him where slaughter by hails of arrows, he was grabbed and his right hand was smashed to pulp (he had 6D archery + 5B bonus) he never was able to shoot a bow again...the second one from that group was captuerd and sold into slavery (managed to escaped 3 years later, in another campaign). I managed to convince one player to be a traitor and he was the one who led them there (very evil i might say) that character became the villain in my second campaign...Oh and he slid the throat of the 4th character and he made sure nobody ever foud the body....so that char. just dissapeared i thik i came clean on that 2 years after (real time)

                      One char had and arrow through his throat and never was able to talk louder then a whisper again. Which makes for awesome roleplay and added effect.

                      My players never are sure they will make it, so the plan, plot and try their best to come out of situations intact. They know combat is never a thing to take lightly and winning is not a certainty if the rush into it....
                      I twist and turn plots of their own making and never give them the full story. They build their characters with care making sure they have good stories behind them, if they do i make it iteresting for them, getting their (short) back stories ito the play.

                      I have been a very evil but just gamemaster and they never ever trust me if i give them a hint/story or they meet new npc's. And they know i dont hesitate to punish mistakes....

                      A character who got overconfident decided to get into it himself without waiting for enough backup and he seaked in the camp, and stated slighting throats...in the end het made a fail and the knight woke, took him down and when his friends arrived he showed them how he would negotiate (then slit the characters throat) ...this character (a wildling on retainer, a master scout, hunting dog trainer) had gatherted approx 500 xp during 4 years of gameplay...they where horrified. But i think what would George R R Martin do.... gehehehe...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                        NPC...
                        Mountain Clansman using a sling and has the Hail of Steel benefit.

                        Long range sniping, able to spread out the attacks while the party searches for him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Most interesting character you can create?

                          I played one adventure as Ser Ronnal Redfyeld, the Blackhand, from the westerlands. When his father was fighting for King Robert against Balon Greyjoy during the Greyjoy Rebellion, Ronnal, his heir, stayed home protecting his lands. He was a dutiful and serious lad, and in one of his patrols he was captured by ironmen and tortured to reveal the castle's hidden entrance. Every day a unnamed ironborn would come at him and say "Today you gonna talk", and removed a single part of Ronnal in the most painful way possible. Every day this ironborn went to sleep carrying a part of Ser Ronnal, but the knight never spoke his secret. Ronnal endured torture for almost two weeks, enough time for his brothers to find him and expell the ironborns.

                          He lost one eye, both ears, three tooths, one hand, three fingers from his feet and he was castrated by his captors. But he never spoke his family secrets. He survived, but never got his vengeance against his torturer, never heard his name also.

                          He grew to be a sinister person, a dark humored man, with a dark soul, with no reason for living if not his duties and his desire for vengeance. He wears black armor and a metal hand of black iron.
                          Last edited by Saturno; 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X