Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Dothraki Character

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this question has already been asked; I didn't see anything about it.

I'm new to the Chronicle System. I was looking for advice on how to make a Dothraki character. Specifically, what Specialties and Qualities should I purchase? I know there isn't a "Blood of the Dothraki" heritage benefit, but is that something I should talk to my GM about creating? And do you think the various Long Blade Benefits are sufficient at representing skill with an arakh? Any tips or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Making a Dothraki Character

Interesting question. I'll throw my two cents in on Abilities as well.

I would want above average Agility and Athletics, since Dothraki typically eschew armor. You might be able to get away with wearing hard leather, but soft leather, padded, or nothing seems appropriate as well. Decent Fighting, Survival, and Animal Handling seem essential, too. If you have the points for it, take some Marksmanship.

For a benefit, Animal Cohort would be a good idea. Make it your horse, and get the benefits of both 1B against unmounted opponents and 1D for being near your animal companion on your Fighting rolls. I would probably take Terrifying benefit from the Night's Watch book, just to get an edge in intrigues, as well. Not sure off the top of my head how to make a good Blood of the Dothraki benefit, but if you Storyteller can whip you up something that's fair, I'd go for it.

I think Long Blades works for an arahk just fine, personally, and would probably put at least 2B of specialty dice into it. Probably 1 or 2 in Bows, as well, depending on how much shooting you want to do. You'll need 1B in Train if you want to be able to qualify for Animal Cohort, too.

Comment

As far as it goes for "blood of the Dothraki" I would make it similar to Blood of Ironmen or so. Perhaps once per combat +1D to a single fighting or marksmanship-test if you are mounted, and perhaps also the possibility to re-roll 1 of your riding-tests.

Comment

I think a fine trait for a Dothraki benefit could be to add your Ride bonus to attacks while mounted. Or doubling the bonus you receive for fighting on horseback (from +1B to +2B) and receiving a small bonus (+1) in Survival and Animal Handling tests.

For a character I would say Animal Handling, Fighting and Agility are the most important abilities for being the orthodox dothraki warrior. Long Blade Fighter, Acrobatic Defense, Stubborn, Expertise (Ride), Brawler, Berserker, Fast, Gifted Athlete, Great Hunter, Keen Senses, Hardy, Night Eyes, Massive and Tough are benefits that really work with the "primitive warrior" stereotype. For drawbacks I believe anything that don't impaire you a lot physically works. I think that a sick children or a dwarf would be killed or abandoned while very young as dothraki culture doesn't have much tolerance for weakness.
        Last edited by Saturno; 04-25-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Very helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X