• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Priest benefit- can it work?

I had some time over and so wrote up a few more spells

Summon the Bounty
    Increase fish, shellfish etc. harvest from the seas

Roll Will vs 6 and each degree of success doubles the catch one would normally get

Soothing Song
    Calms and sooths the Merlings through a magical song

Roll Will vs 12 and each degree of success improves the Merlings' disposition by one step towards the singer. But the charm is broken if one can reasonably connect the singer with hostile actions agaisnt the Merling

Deadful Abyss
    Creates a phobia against the sea by singing and sending the song across the waves

Roll Will vs target's Will, if successful the target will have nightmares and see the presence of the Merlings all across the sea, and so avoid the sea whenver possible. This effect last for one week and one day for each DoS, after which the target can take a Willpower roll against 9 to break the phobia

Lash the Waves
    Create turbulance in salt water

Roll Will vs 15 and if successful create serious turbulance in the nearby sea

Rising tide
    Create a rising tide

Roll Will vs 6, every degree of success mean that the sea advances three meter further or for one additional hour with a minimum of three meter for one hour

Slamming Wave
    Create a massive wave coming towards the sorcerer's location

Roll Will vs 18 and create a massive wave with a very good chance to wash away both fleets and un-walled coastal settlements, and settlements with lesser walls as well

Calm the Waters
    Calm the sea

Roll Will vs 15 and if successful calm the nearby sea

Comment

Nice

Comment

My submission for House ruling Magic and Red Priests. It's a skeleton, just nuts and bolts, no flavor text. I appreciate critiques and questions.

New Ability: Magic
        Magic is a new Ability. Every character starts at Rank 0. Those who stay at Rank 0 have no innate magical skills.
        To invest in Magic, use the same rules for investing in a new language. (Rank 5 means you've spent 130 points)
        Spells and Rituals:
        Spells (require 1 test)
        -Free Actions
        -Lesser Actions
        -Greater Actions
        Rituals (require 3 tests)
        -1 minute
        -10 minutes
        -1 hour
        Spend a Destiny Point = 1 automatically successful Test
        Burn a Destiny Point = 3 automatically successful Tests (used for rituals only).

Benefit Chain: Priest of R’hllor

-Initiate of R’hllor (Requires Pious and Will 3 (Dedication 1B))
        You become especially warm blooded, always hot to the touch of others.
        Can attempt spells and rituals of this Benefit as Formidable tests.
        Can attempt spells of R’hllor II as Very Hard tests.

Produce fire Spell Lesser Action

-Acolyte of R’hllor (Requires Pious, Will 4 (Dedication 1B) and R’hllor I)
        You become resistant to the effects of cold weather.
        Can attempt spells and rituals of R’hllor I as Challenging tests.
        Can attempt spells of R’hllor III as Very Hard tests.

Resist poison Spell Free Action
        Kiss of Life Spell Greater Action
        See the future in flames Ritual One Minute

-Red Priest of R’hllor (Requires Pious, Will 5 (Dedication 2B) and R’hllor II)
        You age half as fast as normal.
        Can attempt spells and rituals of R’hllor I as Routine tests.
        Can attempt spells and rituals of R’hllor II as Challenging tests.
        Can research new spells and rituals with GM permission.

Glamer Ritual 10 Minute
        Wish someone dead (with king’s blood) Ritual 10 Minute
        Birth a shadow Ritual One Hour

In this set of House rules, I would draw up the 2 most common NPC's look like this...
        Beric Dondarrion Magic 5 (Spells 1B), Will 3 (Dedication 1B), Pious, Acolyte of R'hllor
        Melisandre Magic 6 (Spells 1B, Rituals 2B), Will 5 (Dedication 2B), Pious, Red Priest of R'hllor

Certainly debatable...
        -B
        Last edited by bradmcd77; 12-22-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Nice ideas about the R'hllorists there Bradmc77.

What I am critical about is the idea of giving some kind of magic effect to a priest like being hot to touch or resistant to cold as passive abilities. I would rather put these as normal spells to go with the generally low-fantasy of the setting and make the sorcerer have to plan and think about how he uses his spells, and the destiny points that fuels them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
            Nice ideas about the R'hllorists there Bradmc77.

What I am critical about is the idea of giving some kind of magic effect to a priest like being hot to touch or resistant to cold as passive abilities. I would rather put these as normal spells to go with the generally low-fantasy of the setting and make the sorcerer have to plan and think about how he uses his spells, and the destiny points that fuels them.
            I understand. In world terms though, I don't think Melisandre wakes up every morning and casts "Endure Elements" (Pathfinder spell) on herself. She just "is" (resistant to cold). And she "is" because she's a Priest of R'hllor.

I remember in one of the Star Wars RPGs that any member of the Skywalker family was given the Force Sensitive feat for free. In that system, that's pretty huge.

I feel that having to invest in a whole new skill to power your spellcasting and the prerequisites that I've set are punishment enough. If one is going to become a Red Priest, they deserve some passives.

Comment

It's been a couple years since I read the books, so my memory might be tainted by the show, but I think her 'passive' powers (glammer, cold/poison resistance) might have come from her amulet. That could be reflected mechanically by the 'Investiture of Item' spell from the Chronicle of Sorcery.
              Also, I think the Greensight Benefit would cover her visions in the flame. It wasn't as if she got a vision every time she wanted. You'd describe it differently (gazing into flames rather than dreaming), but it works mechanically.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmcd77 View Post
                I understand. In world terms though, I don't think Melisandre wakes up every morning and casts "Endure Elements" (Pathfinder spell) on herself. She just "is" (resistant to cold). And she "is" because she's a Priest of R'hllor.

I remember in one of the Star Wars RPGs that any member of the Skywalker family was given the Force Sensitive feat for free. In that system, that's pretty huge.

I feel that having to invest in a whole new skill to power your spellcasting and the prerequisites that I've set are punishment enough. If one is going to become a Red Priest, they deserve some passives.
                I don't think that Melisandre casts it every morning either, but I don't think that she has some kind of special resistance but rather a high Will value, possibly in the 5-6 range, with some bonuses, is an excellent actor and with a great stage presence (I think its called). She knows when to make a scene with a power so that she won't need to cast a dozen spells per day, but rather one or two when it will have massive effect on the onlookers and leave an impression for a life time.

But then again I prefer Westeros with little magic so if you'd like to have more magic than I perhaps find best for my games, I think you should give passive abilities, even if I disagree with it. And to be perfectly honest, I do suspect that Melisandre may have a few unique special abilities and stuff that normal player characters don't.

Comment

I am currently going through a reread of A Song of Ice and Fire and am in A Clash of Kings right now and Mell is powerful, she survives drinking poison wine, and if you believe her then she caused Varamyr Six skins' new eagle to spontaneously combust. This is on top of her visions Glamours of both Manse Raider and herself as well as granting favorable winds for Stannis' journey to the Wall. Thoros however does not have the same powers as he can kind of see the future, bring Beric Donderian back from the dead and enflame his sword eventually but to begin with he couldn't do that. Then we have Morqorro who we know the least of for the "main" red priests, he healed Victarion predicts/causes the weather and he looks freaky to the Iron Captain. So there "powers" apart from being red and terrible and red are imprecise future sight and other fire themed oddities. So I say that the first benefit for a red priest should be strictly predictive since Beric and Stannis show signs of a less potent version of the future sight present in Mell/Morqorro/Thoros' predictive powers. So I go for something like Favored of R'hllor that grants future sight when one stares into the fire and the GM has stuff prepped.

I don't believe there is a Septon/Septa benefit so the other Powers that are present should be covered by discussion between GM and players. Like if you want to be like Thoros and be constantly resurrecting a fellow PC then maybe a benefit that focuses on that, being a Mell or Morqorro would be a very hard rope to balance since they seem to be not what they appear to be.

Comment

I'm wondering if that spell the witch of Harrenhal cast in Fire and Blood can be made. She had a few, like a cursed messenger who died when people laughed at him. An interesting one was when she blew up a dude's skull with a gesture.

Perhaps a Difficult Test to kill at range? Take a fatigue point or two? I'm thinking it shouldn't cost Destiny in order to make it somewhat ​​​​​​ easier for the PC.

Mel's Discount Fireball would probably cost an injury to use, dealing 1-2d6 fire damage, with a source of magic or magic being potent at the time (think a Valyria Era campaign).

Comment

I think the idea behind spending Destiny points is to make magic rare and frightening. That said, I have spellcasters in both games I run. They both took the Sorcerer and Sorcerous Proclivity Benefits. Sorcerer gives them access to spells and a Sorcerous Destiny Point, while Sorcerous Proclivity gives them 2 Sorcerous Destiny Points. That way they have a few spells, but still have to be very careful when to use them. I only count the SDP as spent if the spell succeeds.
                      I've also allowed one of them to use blood magic, where they can use Injuries and Wounds as SDP, but I've given him a limited number of spells. As this can be pretty powerful, we worked out a pretty extensive backstory for him.

After all, if we wanted to play D&D, we'd play D&D.
                      Last edited by deef; 05-22-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X