Red Priest benefit- can it work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Priest benefit- can it work?

Hey all, I'm a Narrator who just recruited a new player, and he wanted to play a red priest. I think the idea is interesting, and am surprised that there are no benefits related to it anywhere in the book when Greensight and Warg are detailed.

So, we worked on custom-making a benefit, and this is what we came up with:

Red Priest- This character is able to set small fires. Roll Will test to set objects ablaze or to put them out, with difficulty being relative to the size of the object. If the Will test is failed, object will either fail to ignite or the fire will be out of control (GM's discretion). Roll Challenging (9) Will test to engulf weapon in magic fire that will not harm the blade. In the fight, get 1d6-1 (minimum 1) fire damage (on top of regular damage) per degree of success. Automatically gives a weapon the vicious quality for the time it is on fire. Loss of religious emblem will result in a disabling of powers.

I was thinking about adding another bit in order for this not to be too over-powered, since the guy has 3 Will (3B Dedication)

"Any natural fire that is extinguished or magic fire generated by the character with this benefit must rull three successive Will tests of increasing difficulty in order for the effect to be permenant. For example, in order for a character to ignite a weapon for the entirety of the fight, one must pass a Challenging (9) test to ignite the blade for one turn, a Formidable (12) test for two turns, and a Hard (15) test for every turn afterwards."

What do people think of this benefit? Has anyone else seen a successful red priest character in their games? How did it work?

Re: Red Priest benefit- can it work?

Something that may also be of interest is the upcoming Chronicle of Sorcery pdf. I don't think I've seen anything on it here, but there are a couple posts on the old forums. That looks like the most promising candidate for covering something in this vein.

http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=41

Comment

For me, the most defining quality of a Red Priest is more the fire- gleaming than the fire- making. I would give them for the DP the status as a Red Priest and something alike to the green dreams, with making a test one time the day by studying the flams. Maybe a small bonus for "missionairie" Intriques.
      I would also letting the players play more people like Thoros of Myr than Melissandra, who are (at least, before the dragons) no real spellcasters. The burning sword i.e. was a trick of Thoros in the books. With lantern oil and thievery, your priest could create a burning sword for the westerosi infidels (hihih, you can think about to not tell the others, how this sword is ignited, so they really think it is "magic"). Later, I would give them magic for DP, like qualities, one broad mysterious spell at a time (there would be the place for the burning sword).

Comment

It always perplexes me to see someone worried about a Benefit being powerful - this is something the player is meant to throw away one of their extra lives for after all.

In this case, I'd pick a specific number rather than "d6-1", in fact if you just want a flaming sword to be a straight damage buff I'd go so far as to recommend it straight up gives a +6. After all, any shmuck can spend 30 XP on Strength 3B to add +3 to a Powerful weapon's base damage, and Powerful doesn't turn the weapon Vicious, have a chance of failure, or expose you as a sorcerer, so it seems fair that spending 50 XP on a Benefit which has all three of those drawbacks should give a better return on base damage. Alternately, make it +3 to base damage and an additional +3 to combat defense due to the distraction value of waving around a sword that's on fire.

Not a red priest, but I had a warlock PC in my last campaign, and the GM wrote up an entire magic system involving Ice, Waters, Shadow, Storms, and Fire spells, costing 10 XP each to learn, usually requiring me to take Injuries, take Wounds, sacrifice humans and/or samples of king's blood, or spend Destiny Points to cast, such as seeing visions in fire or creating Wights. (Technically there were also spells that required me to burn a Destiny Point or to sacrifice a person who had Destiny Points remaining; I didn't touch them with a barge pole due to the high cost and statistically "existing" chance of failure). We didn't get as far as working out exact stat requirements, but the warlock already had Knowledge Focus: Magic and Knowledge Focus: Religion before we even talked about rules for magic.
        Last edited by omegonthesane; 05-10-2014, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I've included my version of your Red Priest benefit below. If your game takes place before Dany's dragons hatch, the magic should be more tricks than real. Setting a weapon on fire should be done with wildfire instead of blood magic and prayer, but mechanically the same. In the books they note several times that Thoros and Stannis ruin swords by setting them aflame, so I've included rules for that.

RED PRIEST I
          Requires Will 3 (Dedication 1B)
          You can do several parlor tricks involving fire, such as tracing fiery letters in the air.
          Roll a Will test to engulf your weapon in wildfire (mundane) or blood (magic). Challenging (9) test to ignite the blade for one turn, a Formidable (12) test for three turns, and a Hard (15) test for the entire combat. In the fight, get +1d6-1 (minimum 1) fire damage (on top of regular damage). Automatically gives a weapon the Vicious quality for the time it is on fire.
          Enemies struck with a flaming weapon may be enflamed. At the start of its next turn, the enemy rolls Agility or catch on fire. Each round failed gains +1d6 dmg, max 3d6.
          Setting a weapon of fire damages ordinary steel weapons. Reduce weaponís base dmg or AR/Def rating by 1 each time you set the weapon on fire. If the base dmg is reduced to 0, the weapon is destroyed. Valyrian steel weapons are not damaged by fire in this way.
          Repairing (out of combat): requires a blacksmith. one hour per point of damage. A destroyed weapon cannot be repaired; it must be made anew.

Comment

Also there's a 2nd tier for the higher Melisandre-level benefits. I'm having trouble putting all 3 in one post so sorry for the multiple consecutive postings.

RED PRIEST II
            Requires Will 5 (Dedication 3B), Red Priest I
            You may spend Destiny Points to have critical magic events, like seeing a future vision in the flames or place a glamour over someone to change his appearance. For every highborn Lord you convert to the Light you regain one Destiny Point for use in this way. The Lord must burn effigies of their previous god(s) in order to gain the DP.
            If youíre near magic such as a dragon or arcane construct (the Wall or Stormís End), you regain a Destiny Point for every week spent in proximity.

Comment

Also there's the 3rd tier for the higher Melisandre-level benefits. I'm having trouble putting all 3 in one post so sorry for the multiple consecutive postings.

Red Priest III
              Requires Will 6, Red Priest II
              You may Burn a Destiny Point to cast Breath of Life on a recently deceased ally.
              You may also sacrifice people to have fate and fortune go your way. The strength of the effect depends on the degree of importance the sacrifice had.
              A) High born: gain favorable weather for the duration of your journey, or gain the favor of a merchant, sellsword, or hedge knight.
              B) Kingís blood (just the fluid): name up to three people to die sometime in the near future. Requires spending a DP, and cannot be regained through means mentioned in previous Red Priest benefits.
              C) An heir to a kingdom: hatch a dragon from a petrified egg or wake a dragon (only available at Dragonstone, north of the Wall, or other important location at to the Narratorís discretion). Requires burning a DP.
              Additionally, the more DP the victim has remaining, the more powerful the effect.

Comment

@Wontkins thank you for all the hard work on the Red Priest I - III! I really like it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wontkins;5831] In the books they note several times that Thoros and Stannis ruin swords by setting them aflame, so I've included rules for that.
                  \

I thought about that, but I decided that destroying a sword every time it's used would make this benefit useless. The excuse I have is that it's "magic" fire, which doesn't hurt the steel. I know it might go against the books, but I don't think it's a big deal to make this change.

I do like your benefits though, I think I'll use them if the guy decides to increase his Will.

Comment

Originally posted by mrubiquitous View Post
                    ...destroying a sword every time it's used would make this benefit useless.
                    Fair enough, and I agree if the fire was magic it wouldn't be damaging. Avoiding destructive benefits is valid.
                    However, I want to point out that if the PCs are a noble house, they likely have access to readily-available castle-forged steel and blacksmiths, even when visiting other noble houses. Which would make the repairs more of a minor thing than outright negating the usefulness of setting people on fire.
                    Of course it's up to the DM in the end. I'd be interested in hearing how your red priest PC does in your game. What powers he expects to have and what he does with them. I've been thinking about replaying the GoT video game and looking at Alester Sarwyck for more powers to post later.

Comment

Here are some small things a Red Priest might be able to do. They're fairly small benefits, but hopefully still enough to make a player's Red Priest feel different and slightly powerful. The first three are from the video game, and the fourth I just made up because it sounded dramatic.

ACCELERATED COMBUSTION
                      You call upon the Lord of Light to show your enemies the purest death.
                      Take a Fatigue point to increase the burn rate on an opponent who is already on fire. The immolation lasts one extra round and deals an extra +1 damage for that final round.

REGENERATIVE HEAT
                      The foolish white-beards of the Citadel know nothing about the true healing power of the Heart of Fire.
                      Make a Will (dedication) test at a Formidable (12) difficulty in order to create Regenerative Heat. This heat grants +1B to the patientís Endurance test to heal. After using Regenerative Heat, resting has no effect on you for 8 hours and you cannot reuse this ability until that time has elapsed. After that period of time, you may rest to heal your own wounds as normal.

DAZZLING LIGHT
                      Invoke Ríhllorís light to blind heretics.
                      The target must be within 6 yards. A successful Will (dedication) test at a FORMIDABLE (12) difficulty blinds the target for one round per degree of success. The enemy canít distinguish allies from enemies when making attacks while blinded, and automatically fails Marksmanship tests. Characters blinded in this way also take Ė2D on all Agility, Athletics, Awareness, Fighting, and Thievery tests.
                      Mundane option: The alchemical components used for this flash-bang powder costs 150 ss. Test Thievery (Sleight of Hand) or Deception (Act) instead of Will when using Dazzling Light. If a nonbeliever sees you using or carrying the powder, you lose favor with the Red God, incurring a -1D penalty to Status and Persuasion tests until you can convert a noble to the Light. Characters who aren't Red Priests can attempt to use this powder if they procure it, but must make a Knowledge (research) test at a HARD (15) difficulty to figure out how to activate it.

THE NIGHT IS DARK AND FULL OF TERRORS
                      You can make a Will (dedication) test at a CHALLENGING (9) difficulty gain +1B to Intimidate for one night. You may only attempt this test once per night. If you fail a test using Intimidate you lose this bonus and incur a -1D to your next attempt to gain the bonus. This -1D is cumulative until you succeed.

Comment

I made an update to my benefit:

Instead of having to do three separate Will tests to cast a spell, the red priest can just cast one and we'll see how well he does.

Also, I made it so casting a spell will require spending a Destiny Point. If the red priest wants to do something really crazy (like burning a village down), they can burn a Destiny Point. I feel like there should be some limit on what one can do with this stuff, partly because I don't want him to be overpowered, and partly beacuse there seems to be a limit to what people can do in the books. Melisandre couldn't just pop out an unlimited number of shadow babies, and Thoros' ability to bring back the dead have limits. And those two are exceptional red priests- the player in my game is just starting out.

Comment

I really want to thank you guys for doing this. On the old forum there was a page dedicated to the Red Priest and other religious and magical Qualities, but I can't seem to find it. My current character is a red priest so this gives my Narrator a good direction to go in. (Though in her world, magic is returning a bit faster and stronger, but also more hazardous to use)

Cheers!

Comment

Had been trying to homebrew stuff for my own red priest player and so pruned bits from various sources, including some of you great people here, and this is what I settled on:
                            RED PRIEST I

Requires Will 3 (Dedication 1B), Pious
                            The Lord of Light grants you visions of things to come in the form of dancing flame, cinder, and ash.

After gazing into a source of fire, you may make a Formidable (12)*Cunning test (bonus dice from Decipher apply) to comprehend the meaning of what you saw in the flames. The size of the fire can provide additional bonuses or penalties.

Tiny, Candle* * * * * * -4
                            Small, Torch* * * * * * -2
                            Medium, Campfire* * * * +0
                            Large, Bonfire* * * * * +1
                            Massive, Inferno* * * * +3

On a successful test, you are able to interpret the insight into events that have not yet come to pass. You gain one useful bit of information or detail per degree of success. The Narrator will take you aside and describe the most important elements of your vision and give you the pieces to put together in whatever way you will. Regardless, the events you foresee always come to pass.

Using this benefit counts as your use of the Pious benefit for the day.

For every highborn Lord you convert to the Light you regain one Destiny Point spent. The Lord must burn effigies of their previous god(s) in order to gain the DP.
                            If youíre near magic such as a dragon or arcane construct (the Wall or Stormís End), you regain a Destiny Point for every week spent in proximity.

THE NIGHT IS DARK AND FULL OF TERRORS
                            You can make a Will (dedication) test at a CHALLENGING (9) difficulty gain +1B to Intimidate for one night. You may only attempt this test once per night. If you fail a test using Intimidate you lose this bonus and incur a -1D to your next attempt to gain the bonus. This -1D is cumulative until you succeed.

RED PRIEST II*

Requires Will 4 (Dedication 2B), Red Priest I

Through the use of various concoctions and potions, you are able to convince the masses you are able to wield Ríhllorís light.. or once the sky has bled perhaps you actually can.
                            You can do several parlour tricks involving fire, such as tracing fiery letters in the air.
                            Roll a Will test to engulf your weapon in wildfire (mundane) or blood (magic). Challenging (9) test to ignite the blade for one turn, a Formidable (12) test for three turns, and a Hard (15) test for the entire combat. In the fight, get +1d6-1 (minimum 1) fire damage (on top of regular damage). Automatically gives a weapon the Vicious quality for the time it is on fire.
                            Enemies struck with a flaming weapon may be enflamed. At the start of its next turn, the enemy rolls Agility or catch on fire. Each round failed gains +1d6 dmg, max 3d6.
                            Setting a weapon of fire damages ordinary steel weapons. Reduce weaponís base dmg or AR/Def rating by 1 each time you set the weapon on fire. If the base dmg is reduced to 0, the weapon is destroyed. Valyrian steel weapons are not damaged by fire in this way.
                            Repairing (out of combat): requires a blacksmith. one hour per point of damage. A destroyed weapon cannot be repaired; it must be made anew.

DAZZLING LIGHT
                            Invoke Ríhllorís light to blind heretics.
                            The target must be within 6 yards. A successful Will (dedication) test at a FORMIDABLE (12) difficulty blinds the target for one round per degree of success. The enemy canít distinguish allies from enemies when making attacks while blinded, and automatically fails Marksmanship tests. Characters blinded in this way also take Ė2D on all Agility, Athletics, Awareness, Fighting, and Thievery tests.
                            Mundane option: The alchemical components used for this flash-bang powder costs 150 ss. Test Thievery (Sleight of Hand) or Deception (Act) instead of Will when using Dazzling Light. If a nonbeliever sees you using or carrying the powder, you lose favor with the Red God, incurring a -1D penalty to Status and Persuasion tests until you can convert a noble to the Light. Characters who aren't Red Priests can attempt to use this powder if they procure it, but must make a Knowledge (research) test at a HARD (15) difficulty to figure out how to activate it.

Comment

Red Priest III

Requires Will 5 (Dedication 3B), Red Priest II, Post red comet
                              The foolish white-beards of the Citadel know nothing about the true healing power of the Heart of Fire.

Regenrative Heat
                              Make a Will (dedication) test at a Formidable (12) difficulty in order to create Regenerative Heat. This heat grants +1B to the patientís Endurance test to heal. After using Regenerative Heat, resting has no effect on you for 8 hours and you cannot reuse this ability until that time has elapsed. After that period of time, you may rest to heal your own wounds as normal.

Cleansing Fire

You may spend a Destiny Point to make a Healing test (Treat ailment or Injury where applicable) as normal, but rather than taking days or weeks of recovery the subject is healed instantly, though except for the case of a critical pass, the subject will be left with charred or burnt skin where the injury was, taking the Marked drawback if this area is visible, and in the case of a critical failure can receive an additional injury.

Red Priest IVA*

Requires Will 6 (Dedication 4B), Healing 4, Red Priest III, Post red comet

You are able to give the Lord of Lightís gift of life to those who have recently passed beyond the veil of death, though they return changed.

You may spend a Destiny Point to make a Will test (bonus dice from Dedication apply) to revive a dead character. The difficulty of the test is determined by the amount of time for which they have been dead.
                              Dead one hour Formidable (12)
                              Dead twelve hours Hard (15)
                              Dead one day Very Hard (18)
                              Dead one week Heroic (21)

If successful, the spend destiny point is invested in keeping the subject alive, and regained if they die again. The reanimated character loses one physical or mental quality chosen by the Narrator to represent the loss of memories and skills that affects such resurrected individuals. If the character has no suitable qualities to remove, or at the players choice, they instead gain the Forgetful and Haunted drawbacks. Each time a previously revived character dies and is resurrected again by this benefit, they gain the Maimed or Marked drawbacks depending on how they were killed. All negative effects of resurrecting a character can be ignored by sacrificing an alive character, but if witnessed such an act grants all characters involved the Reviled drawback. The difficulty for resurrecting a character can be reduced by one stage (to a minimum of Formidable) by every additional individual sacrificed. Sacrificed characters cannot themselves be resurrected. Using this benefit counts as your use of the Pious benefit for the day.

A character so resurrected automatically passes all Endurance checks to resist the negative effects of suffocation, drowning, starvation, thirst, lack of sleep, extreme heat, and extreme cold.
                              Any character resurrected in this way also gains this Quality without having to invest a Destiny Point, ignoring the prerequisites. They may make the Will check to revive another character without spending a Destiny Point. However, if so used, they die once again - this time, permanently.

Comment

Working...
                              X