Lands of Ice and Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lands of Ice and Fire

I got this a few days ago, and its been really inspirational to me to finally get a SIFRP game going. This can really help run a game in almost any era. I got it at Target a few days early, and all the info may already be available on the wiki or the app, but I hadn't discovered those until recently.

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Ice-...f+ice+and+fire

Anyone else had a chance to check this out? For me it functions as a campaign guide without any crunch.

Re: Lands of Ice and Fire

I have it on order. I'm waiting for it to get here. I also have the map book, which is nice for scale of travel, military campaigns, and the like.

Comment

Also Feast of Ice and Fire is good for fluff!

I really need to get map book. The scale in most the other books (including SIFRP, if I remember correctly) are not very...present?

Comment

For what it's worth - Lands of Ice and Fire is the map book. World of Ice and Fire is the compendium being released this week.

Comment

I would highly recommend picking up....

1) The Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide... Great if you're running a game either about the time of tWot5K or in the previous 5 years to the first novel. After the Greyjoy Rebellion. Its a must. I saw a lot of people recommending it actually as a gazette of Westeros on other boards.

2) The World of Ice and Fire App... It's several GB worth of info, including maps, excerpts from the novels. You can get it for iOS and android. More information than you ever wanted... It's like a wiki... And all canon material. You'll get the same maps from the Lands of Ice and Fire, and even better they are printable with a screen shot. And it's cheap.... $5.99 when I got it.. It might be more now.

3) Lands of Ice and Fire is great, especially if you're running a game in Kings Landing, The Wall, or Braavos. The map quality is impressive, but one could probably find more detailed maps elsewhere on the web. Several major houses are missing such as House Vance (both branches) in the Riverlands, which hurts if you're using the Chronicle Starter supplement.

4) The World of Ice and Fire, the Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones. Its a 300+ page illustrated history book and "should" allow one to run their game in any pervious era. I have ordered it from amazon. From the excerpts I've got... It's so far awesome. It's released today in fact. And I may move it to 3 position if it's as good as what I've seen so far.

I would say that these 4 items would make any rpg set in westeros easily the most detailed and most interwoven setting available in a fantasy rpg if the GM/ narrator took the time and money to invest.

Comment

Campaign Guide, no, sorry green ronin, but that one is horrible. I've not yet acquired world of ice and fire, but I will.

The real thing to use is this site: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

It has everything. No it doesn't have everything lined neatly up in a nice package, but unlike campaign guide/chronicle starter, it stays true to the source material.

Comment

Zoebeltuss
              I don't really want to get into a debate about which product supplement was good and which one wasn't. But what specifically didn't you like?

One thing I did like about the campaign guide was that it is was such a concise overview of each region and it's history. I also enjoyed the cultural feel of westeros. It fleshed out the feel of the game.

I thought each NPC was well written, although I'm worried that my players could take our Gregor Clagene in a fight. GR didn't min/ max some of the NPCs enough.

As far as the Chronicle Starter.... I felt that too captured the feel of westeros well. And I liked how it contributed something to the "expanded universe" if we could call it that. I'm not defending GR, but any rpg company has a tough job of balancing crunch and fluff. Do they put out a crunch supplement... With 159 more benefits, house actions, house upgrades, and skill variations when the current level of benefits etc, the players would never use in 1000 game sessions, and also hold to the "cannon" of the setting... Keep it sacrosanct or.....

Do they venture off, and create their own expanded setting, with fluff and a details not in the cannon material.

I think a Song of Ice and Fire allows for option 2, because looking at the size of Westeros as a continent... Their are either hundreds maybe thousands of unnamed houses.(certain major houses are said to be able to call the banners of hundreds of knights) . Or vast tracks of uncharted and uninhibited wilderness.
              Probably both.

Not to mention a pure "crunch" book gets a bit boring to read after a while.

And I think GR does a good job of getting the balance right... Between crunch vs fluff.

Comment

With the exception of Night's Watch, I've used in my game literally every piece of SIFRP/Chronicle material GR has released. Woodland Creatures, Sorcery, NC stats from the updated Campaign Guide, NC houses from the Chronicle Starter, holdings from Out of Strife, Journey to King's Landing, Peril, and Wedding Knight. And the only reason I haven't used the NW book yet is because the players just haven't visited the Wall. Yet. I'll defend GR and say it's all good or useful in some way.

Comment

The thing I dislike about campaign guide and chronicle starter is that both contains inconsistencies with what we know of Martin's world. More minor in the former perhaps (but enough to question whether whoever made it bothered to check the readily available source material, like the appendix for GoT), but the chronicle starter shows a rather nasty gaping hole in their understanding of Westerosi inheritance for example.

Further, the campaign guide character statistics tends to utterly ignore that the system doesn't work with as many 7's an 6's (and 5's for that matter) that they splash around like candy.

I wouldn't mind them introducing new houses into the setting, but I take some serious issue when I have difficulty believing that they are something that can exist in Martin's world.

Comment

Working...
                  X