Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIFRPG Play-by-Post Looking for Players!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIFRPG Play-by-Post Looking for Players!

If anyone is interested in participating in a play-by-post game for A Song of Ice and Fire RPG you're welcome to come and join my new game that is starting soon.

The website for the game can be found at bitw.boards.net . The more the merrier! I'm using most of the information out of the Game of Thrones Chronicle starter with a few changes that I've made behind the scenes.

Players will have the option to play in any one of the Houses, each House having up to 7 players! There are still a few preparations that need to be made on my end before the game starts but, the site is currently open for the general public as well as for player's to start submitting their characters and joining the forum! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or to send me an e-mail at bitwnarrator@gmail.com

--Narrator

Re: SIFRPG Play-by-Post Looking for Players!

Need to get my play in order elsewhere before jumping into this, as much as I want to..if I can't, I can't.

But suppose that I'll be able to get in on this:

Have you read GRRM's books (like two or three times for good measure, also including dunk&egg, princess&queen and rogue prince)?

Are you well versed in the contents of the wiki?

Are you willing and able to hold players that have not read the books in the hand (firmly if required) as far as setting goes?

Are you aware of the rocket tag tendencies of the systems when "offensive" abilities goes to 5+?

Comment

I have read GRRM's books for the A Song of Ice and Fire series but have not yet read Dunk and Egg, The Princess and the Queen, or the Rogue Prince (though they are on my reading list).

I do make frequent reference to the wiki as well as to various maps to remain as close to the setting canon as possible.

I am more than willing to assist players with any questions they have about the rules of the game itself and the setting itself. Though this is a game and while I intend for things in the grand view of happenings to follow the canon and story that GRRM has written, things will inevitably vary and change based on player actions and characters.

Ultimately I intend for it to be a fun way for players to get involved in the world and to experience the setting.

Comment

My general concern stems from having played Southron Ambitions. Very awesome and fun game that. But there were a lot of people new to the system and setting, some had only seen the show. There were cases of people not understanding that "bastard" isn't just a drawback that robs you of your inheritence but usually also comes with a considerable stigma attached. That's what could worry me.

Comment

I can understand the concern. With a system like the Chronicle System not being as popular as other systems (such as the d20 systems utilized by D&D or Pathfinder) many players interested in the game will likely be new. You're also very correct on the fact that many (most) people who would want to play have only been introduced to the setting based on the HBO series.

Both of these are things that I have considered (as I know exactly what you're talking about since I was also involved in the Southron Ambitions PbP). Those considerations, as well as the amount of time that Stranger had to put into it (which is ultimately what killed it), are things I'm willing to work on/with the players of the game. I'm also open to thoughts, ideas, and suggestions from the players.

I believe it'll be a great game and experience for both veterans and newcomers to both the rule system and to the setting. I'd love to have you in the game if you're still interested. I really enjoyed the Southron Ambitions game and was hoping to catch the eye of a few the players from that game. I've actually got one player from it that has already joined the game.

Comment

Hi there - I'd be willing to give your campaign a try.

I'm a long-time roleplayer, but work and family prevent me from getting any face-to-face gaming done these days, so now would be a good time for me to try out a play-by-post game - assuming you're still looking for players. I do have some limitations in how often I can be an active participant, but after working hours Mondays - Wednesdays should always be doable.

My experience with the system is limited to studying the rules and supplements - I own them but haven't had the opportunity to play yet. As far as the novels are concerned, I've read the series but none of GRRM's other related stories.

Let me know if you still have a spot open.

/rax

Comment

You're welcome to join, Rax. There are many open slots. Each of the player Houses has the option for 7 players, and there are 6 Houses. Two of the Houses have 3 players and one has 2. So there is plenty of room.

One benefit to a play-by-post game and being unfamiliar with the rules is that there is plenty of time to look something up or ask a question before making your post, there's not the pressure of everyone who just drove across town or from a neighboring town to sit around the table to play waiting on you during your turn to figure out where in the rulebook something you saw the other day was.

On the flip side of that coin, a drawback to play-by-post games is the length of time it takes things to happen or get done sometimes. It is all dependent on how fast everyone who is a part of a thread posts. You know your time and schedule than we do so it's up to you to decide if you feel you have the time.

As I said though, you're welcome to join and give it a try. I'm flexible and if something comes up where you think the time required is too much, I'll not hold it against for having to step down or away from the game. Things like that happen. If you're interested check out the site at bitw.boards.net and if you have any question, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Comment

I think it's great that someone is looking to pick up the flame from the excellent Southron Ambitions!

I'll look to get involved soon - Winter Court IV is kicking off soonish for Legend of the Five Rings (need to make my homebrew character soon), and I know there was a decent overlap of players last time.

Good luck getting everything going.

I wouldn't sweat the smaller lore details (it seems Westeros doesn't have a melee at a wedding tourney, but used to at some point in the past. I agree with the approach you've taken - I'd include the melee, as it is great fun and comes at only a small cost to the lore).

Southron Ambitions had some great house rules (full plate armour penalty, shield skill required to use larger shields, slight boost to axe/mace damage for the sake of variety etc), many of which are worth borrowing.

Good luck again!

Comment

Some of SA's house rules were good (full plate), others less so (passive results). I'll be happy to discuss any of them, though be warned, I can be a little bit irritating when I do, but I play along with whatever the GM decides once he decides.

Comment

Also, is there a proper venue which to discuss some parts of the setup that I think ought to be amended to better fit with martin's world?

Such as the case of Daveth Barnell, since he kinda sits outside the range of inheritance not being of Tomas' blood.

Comment

Originally posted by BITWNarrator View Post
                      You're welcome to join, Rax. There are many open slots. Each of the player Houses has the option for 7 players, and there are 6 Houses. Two of the Houses have 3 players and one has 2. So there is plenty of room.

One benefit to a play-by-post game and being unfamiliar with the rules is that there is plenty of time to look something up or ask a question before making your post, there's not the pressure of everyone who just drove across town or from a neighboring town to sit around the table to play waiting on you during your turn to figure out where in the rulebook something you saw the other day was.

On the flip side of that coin, a drawback to play-by-post games is the length of time it takes things to happen or get done sometimes. It is all dependent on how fast everyone who is a part of a thread posts. You know your time and schedule than we do so it's up to you to decide if you feel you have the time.

As I said though, you're welcome to join and give it a try. I'm flexible and if something comes up where you think the time required is too much, I'll not hold it against for having to step down or away from the game. Things like that happen. If you're interested check out the site at bitw.boards.net and if you have any question, don't hesitate to reach out to me.
                      Okay, sounds promising so far.

I'm running through a few different potential characters, but before I settle on one to send in, I have some questions about the campaign and which rules are in use.

1. Concerning the available Houses - I checked out the site and saw that only three Houses have players so far. Is it better for the campaign if there are a few players in as many Houses as possible, or would you prefer it if I submit a character for one of the Houses that already has players?

2. I own the Chronicle Starter - is it okay if I read up on the House I choose to join, or is it your intention that the characters should start off only knowing what's currently presented on the boards?

3. Campaign "power level" - In the rulebook, a Knight of Quality or the Kingsguard has Fighting 5. Is it safe to assume that most opponents (including primary characters) will be at this level of skill or lower? What about PCs - should I plan to restrict myself to abilities of 5 or lower, or will a PC eventually need to invest in a few sixes or sevens to keep up?

4. Just out of personal interest - where are most of the players (and yourself) located? In Europe, the US or somewhere else? If we're a continent or two apart, I imagine that could have quite an effect on speed of play...

5. Character Creation - Can I lower an ability to 1 to gain more experience during character creation, per the optional rule on p. 49?

6. Combat - Will some or all of the advanced combat rules on pp. 170-175 be used in play? This may have an impact on some of the characters I'm considering.

7. Starting Equipment - If my character has the necessary funds, is it okay to purchase a Superior quality weapon during character creation?

/rax

Comment

I'm personally hoping both PC's and NPC's with 5 in anything are the exceptional specimens.

At least my opinion of the system is that it functions best when people that are good at something are 4's, while the 5's are the types that really sticks out. As in, if you have that amount of skill, everyone knows that you do.

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'll give the site a look over before I make any concrete decisions about joining.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlath View Post
                            I think it's great that someone is looking to pick up the flame from the excellent Southron Ambitions!

I'll look to get involved soon - Winter Court IV is kicking off soonish for Legend of the Five Rings (need to make my homebrew character soon), and I know there was a decent overlap of players last time.

Good luck getting everything going.

I wouldn't sweat the smaller lore details (it seems Westeros doesn't have a melee at a wedding tourney, but used to at some point in the past. I agree with the approach you've taken - I'd include the melee, as it is great fun and comes at only a small cost to the lore).

Southron Ambitions had some great house rules (full plate armour penalty, shield skill required to use larger shields, slight boost to axe/mace damage for the sake of variety etc), many of which are worth borrowing.

Good luck again!
                            Thank you, Harlath. I know not everyone is going to be a knight in shining armor and participating in the joust (and I know not all weddings held tourneys) but there are things that need to be considered and adapted in order to give every player something to do. If it were just a wedding with no chances for melee combat, jousting, or the like I fear that the players playing fighters would feel board, useless, and overall unhappy with the game experience. So I tried to give something for everyone to do.

I agree that I liked a lot of SA's house rules but sadly, I couldn't remember most of them. The biggest that stood out to me was the break down of time and seemed to me to be one of the biggest elements I wanted to reuse. If anyone from that game remembers those house rules, feel free to send me an e-mail or let me know here or on the Blood in the Water page if you've already joined and we'll cuss and discuss implementing them.

Originally posted by Zorbeltuss View Post
                            Also, is there a proper venue which to discuss some parts of the setup that I think ought to be amended to better fit with martin's world?

Such as the case of Daveth Barnell, since he kinda sits outside the range of inheritance not being of Tomas' blood.
                            You're welcome to e-mail me or if you would prefer a different method for discussing it let me know. Part of what makes intrigue dramatic in Martin's world is sometimes the way in which some of the characters try to bend the laws of Martin's world, such with the case of Daveth Barnell. You're correct in that he's not blood of Tomas but, yet the wife is pushing for him to inherit anyway. Thus, the intrigue is born. Not everything that happens in Martin's world follows the laws he set forth, even in his own books. But I'm always willing to hear how I can make a setting better for the players.

Comment

Originally posted by rax View Post
                              Okay, sounds promising so far.

I'm running through a few different potential characters, but before I settle on one to send in, I have some questions about the campaign and which rules are in use.

1. Concerning the available Houses - I checked out the site and saw that only three Houses have players so far. Is it better for the campaign if there are a few players in as many Houses as possible, or would you prefer it if I submit a character for one of the Houses that already has players?

2. I own the Chronicle Starter - is it okay if I read up on the House I choose to join, or is it your intention that the characters should start off only knowing what's currently presented on the boards?

3. Campaign "power level" - In the rulebook, a Knight of Quality or the Kingsguard has Fighting 5. Is it safe to assume that most opponents (including primary characters) will be at this level of skill or lower? What about PCs - should I plan to restrict myself to abilities of 5 or lower, or will a PC eventually need to invest in a few sixes or sevens to keep up?

4. Just out of personal interest - where are most of the players (and yourself) located? In Europe, the US or somewhere else? If we're a continent or two apart, I imagine that could have quite an effect on speed of play...

5. Character Creation - Can I lower an ability to 1 to gain more experience during character creation, per the optional rule on p. 49?

6. Combat - Will some or all of the advanced combat rules on pp. 170-175 be used in play? This may have an impact on some of the characters I'm considering.

7. Starting Equipment - If my character has the necessary funds, is it okay to purchase a Superior quality weapon during character creation?

/rax
                              1. I would like more of the Houses to be active if possible. If everyone is joining Houses that already have players though, then the other Houses will be playerless. In general though, I want the players to decide which House sounds fun or interesting to them. If some of the Houses are empty by the time we are wanting to play, then that House will become an NC House (not what I want, but something I'm willing to do so as not to keep everyone waiting to play).

2. I'm using the Chronicle Starter as a base design. I've made several changes so as to make the Houses and setting my own. Not to mention that many of the characters mentioned in books are up for grabs for players to take control of and thus breath their own life into them, making things drastically different.

3. If there is a single PC with an ability of 6...I expect them to be sufficiently inept at 75% of everything else lol. There are a few PCs and NCs with a 5 or two but no more than that and no higher than that.

4. The answer to this question, I do not know. I know I'm from the US lol. But I can't speak to the others.

5. You may reduce a score to 1 to gain more experience, be aware they needs to be a reasonable explanation for this though. I'm not keen on min/max characters. I've tolerated one to be approved, but only barely. You can expect to find yourself in a very boring game if you min/max too much as the game is not like most pen and paper games and is not a "kick-in the door, kill everything, loot the room dungeon crawl".

6. I have not yet decided to implement any of the advanced combat rules, choosing to stick to the standard set at this time. If there are a sufficient number of players who wish to use the advanced rules, I need to be informed so that I can adapt the rules for you guys. Some things I'm a stickler on, other things I'm open to adapting and changing, you just have to let me know what you want in order to find out lol.

7. If your character has the funds and can spend the "double original price" for a Superior quality weapon, go for it. Castle-forged weapons are hard to come by for most people but, it's not completely unheard of, especially if you are working in the service of a liege who has a master smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X