Reaction to Chronicle of Sorcery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction to Chronicle of Sorcery

I enjoyed the supplement. There was a lot of material in it, more than I expected.

I have a few questions concerning the "common Arts":
    In two Qualities it mentions common Arts of Consecration, Divination, Purification, Trance, and Sympathy. Then later in the Common Sorcerous Arts section it details Consecration and Divination, but not the other three. Instead we get an addition of Warding.

So Warding is common, but not when referring to those Qualities that list common Arts?
    I can infer what Purification is. But what does Trance and Sympathy do? Am I missing these pages from my version? Let's be clear, I'm not complaining -- I'm very happy to see new material and am thankful to the writer Joseph Carriker. This is a just a request for clarification.
    If it's not in the book, is anyone on the forums willing to flesh out those arts and post it here? In fact let's share all of the Arts we make! I'm going to work on spells and rituals for Alchemy, as one of my players is making a pyromancer character from the Alchemist's Guild in King's Landing.
    Last edited by Wontkins; 10-08-2014, 02:45 AM.

Re: Reaction to Chronicle of Sorcery

Originally posted by Wontkins View Post
    But what does Trance and Sympathy do? Am I missing these pages from my version? Let's be clear, I'm not complaining -- I'm very happy to see new material and am thankful to the writer Joseph Carriker. This is a just a request for clarification.
    If it's not in the book, is anyone on the forums willing to flesh out those arts and post it here? In fact let's share all of the Arts we make! I'm going to work on spells and rituals for Alchemy, as one of my players is making a pyromancer character from the Alchemist's Guild in King's Landing.
    I have mixed feelings and the same "am I missing pages?" feeling. The material and system are quite good (though a little jargon-heavy). But at 48 pages, it leaves me wanting more. A lot more. I started reading about the Lores presented in pages 4-10 and thought "this is great! I can't wait to read about all these arts and what sorts of spells and rituals they may contain in later chapters! Alchemy? Blood Magic? Awesome! We can finally have a magic-wielding Melisandre NPC!" But they aren't there.
    Given that being a sorcerer requires DPs, the common sorcerous arts that they give you are plenty to create a starting sorcerer. You're easily going to reach the 3-quality limit before you have even all of the common arts you want. But I would've loved to see some of the more 'uncommon' lores fleshed out.

Of course, it's only five bucks. For a five buck supplement, it's great. I'm gonna go create some PCs right now, see how they flesh out. I guess my complaint comes down to: I think I would've preferred the twenty buck 200-page version.

Comment

I loved it as well. I thought it captured the style and feel of aSoIaF as the rest of the books have very well.

But I too that the same feeling that both of you had. A bit more editing and homogenizing of the ruleset would have been good. Maybe a few more charts and a "rules summary" would have been good.... (Explaining exactly what you get for what and how it works)

I would have paid $10.00 for a 60 page PDF of this sort of thing.

Ahh.. I'm looking forward for a Chronicle of Sorcery II
      Last edited by Sunstaff; 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstaff View Post
        Ahh.. I'm looking forward for a Chronicle of Sorcery II
        heh, even if it's just a list of Lores with Arts and Techniques.

Comment

Humm. I would also say that this is a flaw in the supplement. How can two of the major qualities ask you to pick from a list, and then the supplement not give you the complete list?

If we are going to get a larger list.... It would be nice to make it a bit more aSoIaF also.... Flesh out blood magic a bit more... Fire Magic is a must.....Nature magic... Etc.

Also, I missed it... But where does it talk about a limit on sorcerer qualities?

Thanks

Comment

I enjoyed the supplement. There was a lot of material in it, more than I expected.

I have a few questions concerning the "common Arts":
            In two Qualities it mentions common Arts of Consecration, Divination, Purification, Trance, and Sympathy. Then later in the Common Sorcerous Arts section it details Consecration and Divination, but not the other three. Instead we get an addition of Warding.
            Hello, all. Thanks for touching base with us. I apologize for that mistake - that's simply an editing flub on my part. We originally had Purification, Trance and Sympathy planned as Common Arts, but as development continued, they proved extraneous to our purposes, and were replaced with Warding.

Purification is covered over and over by the Alignment step in ritual magic, and adding on yet another form of Common Sorcery that covers that turned out to be both tedious and unnecessary.

Trance turned into something too vague - what exactly was one doing while in trance? The myriad answers to that question turned out to demonstrate that those effects should fit into other Lores entirely. Did it let the sorcerer foresee the future? Divination. Did it sanctify or protect the sorcerer? Consecration or Warding. It just proved to be something that was extraneous.

Sympathy is something that is kind of built in to the majority of so many other Arts that again, creating an entire set of Techniques that somehow foster Sympathy was just extraneous.

So, the Common Sorceries in the PDF are indeed the sum of those available, and at current I have no plans to add additional Common Sorceries to the list - so what's in the PDF is all of them. I'm going to go through the PDF again, hunting for references to those damned Arts and get production to push that bit of errata through, and set another PDF up for immediate availability after this weekend.

Thanks for y'all's support and engagement!

Comment

If we are going to get a larger list.... It would be nice to make it a bit more aSoIaF also.... Flesh out blood magic a bit more... Fire Magic is a must.....Nature magic... Etc.
              We do have plans for some upcoming Chronicle of Sorcery Lore PDFs. I'm hopeful we'll have those ready to go in short order, now that we have a complete system, and right now the three we have planned are Blood Sorcery, Spirit-Whispering and Wortcunning. Though they are written from a non-setting-specific low fantasy perspective, I'm fairly certain you'll find all three of them to be very useful in a somewhat more magically-accessible SIFRP chronicle.

Comment

Yay! Thanks for the response, Carriker.

Comment

Originally posted by Carriker View Post
                  Hello, all. Thanks for touching base with us. I apologize for that mistake - that's simply an editing flub on my part. We originally had Purification, Trance and Sympathy planned as Common Arts, but as development continued, they proved extraneous to our purposes, and were replaced with Warding...

...So, the Common Sorceries in the PDF are indeed the sum of those available, and at current I have no plans to add additional Common Sorceries to the list - so what's in the PDF is all of them. I'm going to go through the PDF again, hunting for references to those damned Arts and get production to push that bit of errata through, and set another PDF up for immediate availability after this weekend.

Thanks for y'all's support and engagement!
                  Since you are producing another pdf version, I strongly recommend a Table of Contents. I lesser recommend an Index at the end. If not an index, then an end page (and for Green Ronin, an ad page?). For a 48 page document an index isn't completely necessary, but you need something at the end that tells the reader "this is the end of the document."

Comment

Also, I missed it... But where does it talk about a limit on sorcerer qualities?

Thanks
                    I believe Sunstaff is referring to the maximum Benefits restricted by the age, table 3-10, page 51 in the main rulebook. I had forgotten about this myself, which makes a Sorcerer character much less powerful. The Sorcerer Drawbacks allowing him to invest in more Sorcerer Benefits seems kind of less useful now. Maybe somewhere in one of the supplements it takes this restriction away, and I just missed it?

Also, how do you learn more Arts if you're at your Benefit limit? Have you just reached the capacity of all that character can learn?

Comment

I believe Sunstaff is referring to the maximum Benefits restricted by the age, table 3-10, page 51 in the main rulebook. I had forgotten about this myself, which makes a Sorcerer character much less powerful. The Sorcerer Drawbacks allowing him to invest in more Sorcerer Benefits seems kind of less useful now. Maybe somewhere in one of the supplements it takes this restriction away, and I just missed it?

Also, how do you learn more Arts if you're at your Benefit limit? Have you just reached the capacity of all that character can learn?
                      That table refers to the number of benefits by age category the character can have at character creation.

I am not aware of any restriction on benefits after creation.

Comment

Exactly, that is what destiny points can be for... And IMHO you can also at character creation get a benefit in exchange for a drawback surpassing the benefit limit. And in the end there are always houserules ....

Comment

Originally posted by LittleParis View Post
                          Exactly, that is what destiny points can be for... And IMHO you can also at character creation get a benefit in exchange for a drawback surpassing the benefit limit. And in the end there are always houserules ....
                          I generally keep to the caps at character creation, with flaws simply adding to your DP pool; but since you can invest in as many benefits as you like once you hit the first chapter ending, the point is probably moot.

Comment

Ah right. Thanks for the correction, guys.

Comment

Hi everyone,

There's one thing I'm not sure about Lores (and Arts) that I would like to clarify...

They say that you need to gain access to a Lore to learn its Arts... Does this mean that you need to invest a Destiny point to gain the Benefit "Sorcerous Lore: <XYZ>" ? While it is clearly stated multiple times for Arts that they must be purchased as Benefits (for example, on pages 5 and 16), the only place that I saw this mentioned for Lore is in the description of the Research Sorcery action on page 16. It does make sense to purchase them as Benefits, but since neither "Sorcerous Lore" nor "Sorcerous Art" Benefits are listed in the "Sorcerous Qualities" section on pages 18-24, I wasn't sure if it was an editing error or if it was on purpose...

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X