Benefits for creating a red priest of R'hllor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits for creating a red priest of R'hllor

Has anyone looked into making some benefits for characters who follow R'hllor? The Pious benefit in the core book is definitely a start, but putting some mechanics to the more esoteric abilities of the red priests could be interesting.

Probably the most iconic power of the red priests is seeing visions in flames, so some kind of benefit to represent the advantages those visions give you could be interesting. For something a little more dramatic, the ability to light sword on fire with blood and prayer would be something I'm sure a lot of players would love to have. Here's some ideas I came up with really quickly, but they're by no means complete ideas (or well balanced).

Flames of R'hllor
    You can summon and sculpt flame through blood and prayer.
    Requires Pious

By spending a minor action, you can enflame a weapon. When you do this, take up to 2 damage (not reduced by AR). The amount of damage you receive in this way is added to your chosen weapon's damage, as fire damage. This effect lasts for the duration of the combat, until the flames on the blade are doused in some way, or until you choose to end the effect.
    Visions in the Flames
    You see visions in the flames, granted to you by the Lord of Light.
    Requires Pious

Once per night, if you have time and access to a source of flame, you can pray to R'hllor and seek guidance. Roll a d6. If the result is a 6, you see a significant vision in the flames. One of the following effects applies (whichever comes first):
    • The next time you spend a fate point to gain +1B, instead gain +2B.
    • The next time you spend a fate point to convert a bonus die to a test die, instead convert two.
    Any other ideas on how to make red priest PCs more mechanically relevant?

Re: Benefits for creating a red priest of R'hllor

A lot of us put up some rule ideas in the following thead:
    http://roninarmy.com/threads/159-Red...it-can-it-work

Comment

Thanks for that, I should have searched a bit more thoroughly.

Comment

Look great and flavourful.

Visions in the Flames - maybe a little too stronger? Two bonus dice convert to kept dice might be a bit much.

Flames of R'hllor - think ASOIAF RPG calls these "Lesser Actions" instead of "minor", unless you mean this to be a "free action". Sorry for any confusion on my part! At the moment, it might be a little stronger than Weapon Mastery (more debatable if it is a lesser action) as it does two extra damage and can affect any weapon. Weapon Mastery isn't a great benefit, and this has a prerequisite, so I don' think it's broken, but could do with a small tweak down.

Maybe add a healing benefit - we've seen evidence of this kind of power (in A Dance with Dragons? Can't remember).

Comment

Yeah I wasn't sure about the balance on Visions in the Flame. I was tempted to just make it give you +1D on a test the next day, but then it just feels like a direct clone of Greensight, but less interesting. It'd basically be like having pious twice. Not really sure what to do here, honestly, suggestions welcome.

As for the minor action thing, I was just being an idiot and getting my system terminology confused. Definitely meant lesser. I went ahead and fixed that, and added a bit to the benefit. Not sure on the difficulties here; wrote them up real quick so I'm not sure if they should be raised or lowered a bit.

Flames of R'hllor
          You can summon and sculpt flame through blood and prayer.
          Requires Pious

Creating flame is a Will test, applying bonus die from the Dedication speciality. This typically takes at least a few seconds, or a greater action if performed in combat. The GM should set the difficulty of the test depending on what you wish to achieve, but the following table provides some examples:

Challenging (9) Lighting a torch, sparking a campfire, creating a small flash of flame in the air
          Formidable (12) Igniting a flammable material such as wildfire or oil, setting a hay bale ablaze, creating a plume of flame
          Hard (15) Igniting a bonfire, setting a small wooden object ablaze (a shield, a piece of furniture, etc)
          Very Hard (18) Conjuring a pillar of flame from a source of fire, setting a large flammable structure alight (a pyre, a small building, etc)
          Red Priests can also set weapons alight to aid in combat. By spending a lesser action, you can enflame a weapon. When you do this, take up to 2 damage (not reduced by AR). The amount of damage you receive in this way is added to your chosen weapon's damage, as fire damage. This effect lasts for the duration of the combat, until the flames on the blade are doused in some way, or until you choose to end the effect. While a weapon is alight, the difficulty to break the weapon is halved, representing the fragile nature of a burning blade.

Comment

Working...
          X