Mutants & Masterminds

3e Edition Cards - REVISED 8/9

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.

3e Edition Cards - REVISED 8/9

Postby Omega Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 am

Updated! I took a lot of advise from the boards and made a few modifications. You can download the new versions of the Condition Cards here: http://www.clockworkamazon.com/gallery/ ... %20mk2.pdf

V2 Notes:
  • The biggest change I made was to the card size, shrinking it slightly. They're still designed and sized to be printed on 3x5 index cards, but if you print them six to a page on standard printer paper, they should trim out just fine to fit into M:TG card sleeves. I'm beginning to suspect that version 3 (if there is a version 3) will be redesigned specifically at card sizes.
  • I took Flying Cobra's suggestion and added severity numbers to each condition. The numbers reflect how many degrees of failure is generally takes to apply that condition. In the case of combined conditions, I used the most severe condition in the spread. Dying gets an asterisk because it generally only occurs as a plot point.
  • I also took Freeclint's suggestion to make Bruised it's own color, making it easier to count up your penalty at the table.

A few quick notes:
  • This is basically a first draft, and probably needs some tweaking. I pulled the text from the Hero's Handbook PDF, so there may be a hyphenation or two still in there that I missed.
  • These are formatted to be printed out on 3x5" index cards. If you don't have a printer that can tackle index cards, you can print them at full size 2x2 on regular printer paper by going into Acrobat and in the print window selecting "Multiple Pages per Sheet" in the Page Scaling dropdown. You'll probably have to manually tell it to put four to a page.
  • I broke up the various conditions into four groups of effects and color-coded them for quick reference. Red are damage effects from failed toughness saves. Yellow are action effects that affect how or how many actions you can perform. Blue are miscellaneous penalty effects, most ones that impose a dice penalty. Finally, Green are combines effects that stack one or more previous conditions
  • I took the old 2e term "Bruised" for a Toughness save that fails by five or less. I know its not in 3e, but it's a fast and easy way of describing that level of failure.
  • I have no idea if the Superpowered by M&M logo in necessary for condition cards, or used right, but it seemed like the decent thing to do at the very least. Jon, if you need me to add any extra information to the cards, please let me know what.

Hope some people find these useful!
Last edited by Omega Girl on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Re: 3e Edition Cards

Postby Flying Cobra » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 am

Nice!
One quick suggestion- maybe add a number in one of the corners, denoting what degree condition the effect is ("Dazed" and "Entranced" would have 1s, "Stunned" and "Compelled" would have 2s, "Incapacitated" and "Controlled" would have 3s, etc.).
Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby freeclint » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:22 am

Those look really good. I do have one suggestion, for the Bruised card, I'd make it it's own color unique to it. So if a character has a bunch of conditions, the can easily have a stack of, say Black, Bruise cards to quickly see how hurt he is for Toughness checks.
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Fifth Wanderer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:35 am

Now added to the M&M 3e/DCA Resources thread.
Dread Mad God and Keeper of the M&M3e/DCA Resources thread.

The Secret World Chronicle - A superhero audiobook podcast.
The Fifth Wanderer
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Unbeliever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:21 am

+1 FreeClint. I also kind of like "Injured" more than Bruised nowadays for 3E.

Also, Omega Girl, what's the size of these cards? I printed one out to check. Usually, I like to cut these things down and put them in a plastic sleeve for Magic cards, et al., which is what I did for my Tome of Battle cards. The result is really nice, actually -- they are durable and easy to slide around the table.

These look too big for that. Any way we could get them smaller? I suppose I could try cropping the pdf or something, though I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that.
Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby freeclint » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 am

She suggested printing for index cards. That or use adobe's print options to do four pages per page, then they'll be a handy size. As for getting them playing / trading card size, I think you'd need something more advanced than adobe reader to do it. If you try 6 per sheet, they'll be closer to the size you want, i'd wager.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Unbeliever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 am

freeclint wrote:She suggested printing for index cards. That or use adobe's print options to do four pages per page, then they'll be a handy size. As for getting them playing / trading card size, I think you'd need something more advanced than adobe reader to do it. If you try 6 per sheet, they'll be closer to the size you want, i'd wager.

I do have adobe full, so maybe I'll figure something out on my own when I get the chance (hah!).
Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mercutio » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:58 am

Awesome! I think I'll stop trying to hack together my own, now. I really like these--far, far better than my own.
Characters (3E)

Russ Charles (PL6) -- Wheel of Fortune (Neo-Noir)
K9 Boy (PL10) -- St. Metrovilleburg (Satire/Parody)
Mercutio
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Unbeliever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 am

Mercutio wrote:Awesome! I think I'll stop trying to hack together my own, now. I really like these--far, far better than my own.

Well, I did like the little pictures actually ...

But, that is a really minor thing.
Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby freeclint » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 am

Yeah, your cards looked good as well. I was also partial to the little stick figures (though I only recall seeing one or two samples).
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Omega Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Some great suggestions. I really like the idea of assigning severity levels to the cards, maybe in the upper left-hand corner by the effect symbol. It makes it a lot easier for characters with Affliction powers to just pull out the three levels they use and have them ready to toss out.

Marking the Bruised card with a different color isn't a bad idea either, though I'll probably keep it close to red just to be thematically appropriate. Maybe a warm purple... And yeah, definitely sticking with "Bruised" over "Injured". It just feels a little more comic-booky to me.

I hadn't thought about making the cards M:TG-sized, if only because my printer takes index cards so that's what I default to (I'm too lazy to cut out dozens of cards). I'd have to trim back the text on some of those cards (Incapacitated, I'm looking at you) to make it work, but we'll see.

Edit: Oh my, a typo right on the first page. Sloppy! Also, if you print them siz to a page they come out a a fair bit narrower than standard game cards and an eighth of an inch taller; I'm not sure what the sleeve size is, so I don't know if they'd fit easily or not. The text is still very readable at that size though, so I may try for a second set at M:TG proportions.
Omega Girl
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:36 am

Hi,

I am one of the new to M&M3e people out there and was in the middle of trying to make my own cards when yours popped up. They look great by the way.

A question though. Why are there two Dazed cards? One red and one yellow. Isn't Dazed the same effect regardless of how it was generated? I'm just asking to make sure I haven't missed something in how the game works.
Spence
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Speed Monkey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Awesome! Thanks for making these and sharing them! :)
Speed Monkey
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Spence wrote:Hi,

I am one of the new to M&M3e people out there and was in the middle of trying to make my own cards when yours popped up. They look great by the way.

A question though. Why are there two Dazed cards? One red and one yellow. Isn't Dazed the same effect regardless of how it was generated? I'm just asking to make sure I haven't missed something in how the game works.

Nevermind,

Answered my own question... :mrgreen:
Spence
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Jameson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 pm

As a note, you have the wording wrong on the bruised condition card. The cumulative -1 penalty is applied to all " damage resistance checks", and not to just Toughness checks as you have it on the card. This is important when dealing with attacks that have an altered resistance check i.e. Will or Fort.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here
Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Next

Return to General M&M