PDA

View Full Version : Why use a Medium Shield instead of an Heavy Shield?

LukeZ
08-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Why use a Medium Shield instead of an Heavy Shield (beside the cost)?

shonuff
08-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Because it's cheaper.

Jekias
08-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Role playing. Perhaps your character is petite and prefers accessoriszing with a Medium Shield because it fits their aesthetic more? Or an enchanted Shield with some extra power and just happens to be a Medium Shield? That Medium shield could have been your character's father's shield and has sentimental value?

From a power-gamer perspective, the Medium shield is rather redundant. If encumbrance was something in Dragon Age, it might be more relevant if you have a lower strength rating. If you want to encourage use of the small/medium shields more you could always houserule by adding a Strength requirement to them.

rcrantz
08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
This is one of the drawbacks of the simplicity of the equipment: there are equipment options which are clearly superior to others, rendering certain pieces of equipment largely redundant (longswords and medium shields come to mind). I think if I wanted to give medium and light shields some more love, I'd probably give them an additional armor penalty (-1 for medium, -2 for large), but I'm not sure how much it would add.

Hellebore
08-03-2014, 07:19 PM
This is one of the reasons I created an encumbrance system in esoterica 1.

I like there to be trade-offs over taking equipment.

In RPGs I find money to be of limited practical use - generally the point is accruing wealth, so you rarely have any real monetary barriers to owning whatever you want. Therefore mechanical balance is generally the only one that has any real impact.

Hellebore

shonuff
08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I would say large could t be used from horseback.

eliastion
08-04-2014, 05:36 AM
As for adding the strength req. - unfortunately, the strength requirements are really low for most things and any superior equipment basically removes them altogether.
As for shield - if I wanted to houserule around the problem (without big changes to system), I guess I would fiddle 'ronud with dexterity penalty, so that even with the talnt, the heavy shield would give better defense than med, but also a small penalty to movement speed; even a small penalty could really hurt someone already sporting one of the heavier pieces of armor. Good protection - terribad mobility.

And, of course, there's the simplest difference - heavy shield is described as "large shield of heavy infantry troops". So, as shonuff said - it's almost stated explicitly in the book that you can't effectively use it on horseback ;)
Maybe in Orlais they have some some heavy cavalry shields, but that would be a masterwork item (even if relatively common), 'cause why not ;) There's no much use for masterwork shields otherwise, things like this fill the niche.