PDA

View Full Version : Freedom City Required Reading?

Solomon Mercury
09-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Hey guys I'm really getting into the Worlds of Freedom setting. I have a good bit of the books, but I wondered if anyone had a list of all of the books that give information about the setting and what specific information they give. It would be very helpful.

Corrigon
09-18-2016, 11:17 AM
a third edition version of Freedom City is coming

Solomon Mercury
09-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I was aware of that fact, but thank you anyway. I'm pretty sure though that the book will just build on that which has already written about the setting.

King Snarf
09-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Do you mean the city itself, or the setting as a whole?

If the former, you're looking at at least the following...

The Golden Age
The Silver Age
The Iron Age
Worlds of Freedom
Hero High
Freedom's Most Wanted
Agents of Freedom
And the various Freedom City Atlas entries (http://greenroninstore.com/collections/mutants-masterminds-m-m-second-edition?page=1), which may or may not be incorporated into Freedom City Third Edition.

Also, The Cosmic Handbook has a TINY bit about Freedom City, specifically Star Island.

Solomon Mercury
09-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Do you mean the city itself, or the setting as a whole?

I meant the setting as a whole and thank you for the list.

FuzzyBoots
09-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Lockdown has a few tidbits, but most of it is, of course, about the super-jail which is located in another state.

King Snarf
09-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Lockdown has a few tidbits, but most of it is, of course, about the super-jail which is located in another state.

But, as of third edition, it's part of the greater Freedomverse now, and it's mentioned in a few Freedom City books, so...

Anyway, since the OP said the setting as a whole, there's a bit more to add to the list.

Book of Magic
The Cosmic Handbook
Warriors & Warlocks
The forthcoming Atlas of Earth-Prime and Rogues Gallery
Emerald City
Gadget Guides
Threat Reports

I think that's everything.

This list does not include the various adventures.

betterwatchit
09-19-2016, 04:26 AM
Don't forget about 3E Hero High.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Might be faster to list all the books that don't have FC info in them.

FuzzyBoots
09-19-2016, 06:56 AM
^_^ Here's a start:

Paragons
Noir
Crooks
The other 1E books related to the META-4 universe

FuzzyBoots
09-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Warriors and Warlocks is highly debatable since the only mention of Freedom City is a mention of a possible alternate universe Freedom City, the same with Mecha and Manga.

King Snarf
09-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Warriors and Warlocks is highly debatable since the only mention of Freedom City is a mention of a possible alternate universe Freedom City, the same with Mecha and Manga.

You're forgetting the Lost World.

Solomon Mercury
09-19-2016, 07:48 PM
I didn't know that the prison from Lockdown was canon in Freedom City where is it's general location supposed to be? I know it isn't specifically mentioned where it is, sort of like how Freedom City is somewhere on the Northern East Coast and Emerald City is in the Northern-West Coast. I was just wondering if there was a canon general location.

How is Gadget Guides needed for the setting. I own it, but I haven't taken the time to read it.

How about the Time of Crisis and Time of Vengeance adventures? And those short 5 dollar pdfs with the character archetypes?

FuzzyBoots
09-19-2016, 09:52 PM
I don't think Gadget Guides or Power Profiles added anything to the setting, honestly. As for Lockdown, the location is Buckner Ridge and the location is wherever you want it although it suggests placing it in a mountain range.

The adventures don't add much that you wouldn't get from the books. Time of Crisis is basically settings from Worlds of Freedom (and adds the Thieves Guild, a Flash-type Rogues Gallery). Time of Vengeance adds a few bits of flavor, particularly in the Fens. Deadly Day of the Dread Destructus introduces a handful of Silver Age villains. The various free adventures provide some small expansion of the universe, such as additional minions for The Green Man, some exploration of Toy-Boy and Quark, and an alternate Liberty League (possibly the past of Earth-Erde). Lockdown introduces some new villains, including The Golden Marvel who has a legacy in the 3E Hero High book.

As for the archetypes, the Iron Age, Hero High, and Lockdown ones all introduce some new characters although they're all fairly brief.

Oh, and The Beginner's Guide has some background on Claremont Academy including a new recruit.

King Snarf
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
While Lockdown on it's own can be anywhere, in Freedom City Third Edition, it's considered part of Earth Prime. Buckner Ridge is listed in the U.S. entry of Atlas of Earth Prime, one of the characters shows up in the Mediterranean entry, and one of the new Next-Gen in Hero High 3e has ties to another.

As for Power Profiles, you're right. Gadget Guides, however, has several items that are built with Freedom City cosmology.

Oh, and M&M Annual #2 is one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Doctor Malsyn
09-21-2016, 12:49 AM
I really should read up on this setting myself, seeing as I'm in a game using the Freedom City setting elsewhere...

Davies
09-28-2016, 05:09 PM
I don't think Gadget Guides or Power Profiles added anything to the setting, honestly.

Not added, but revised -- Gadget Guides: Magic and Power Profiles: Magic both update artifacts and spells from Book of Magic to the 3e rules set. On the whole, though, you're right.

King Snarf
09-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Not added, but revised -- Gadget Guides: Magic and Power Profiles: Magic both update artifacts and spells from Book of Magic to the 3e rules set. On the whole, though, you're right.

Oh, yeah, I DID forget about the Magic section. But that's because it was a straight reprint, aside from the actual mechanics being converted over to 3e. Gadget Guides adds a bit more in their magic section, plus there's other Freedom City stuff elsewhere in the book. For instance, there's a sidebar on the DNAscent process in the Biotech section, there are two FC centric items in the Powers section, and several vehicles in the Vehicles section.

RossN
09-29-2016, 10:16 AM
I know it's been mentioned before but I'll put another vote in for Golden Age, Silver Age, Iron Age and Worlds of Freedom. True they are all 2e rules but they should be fairly straightforward to convert.

More importantly the fact that they are set in the past (or parallel worlds or the future) not only means you can set games in those periods, whether whole campaigns or via time travel but also might give you lots of ideas for legacy villains or heroes to run around in 'modern' Freedom City.