PDA

View Full Version : Hero Lab vs. Excel

bitterlily
02-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I naively (and happily) downloaded Ski's Excel sheet from the forum resource list. I immediately discovered that I had to modify it, but after some initial trepidation, I was able to create a character sheet for my PC. Note: PC. Based on my experience with software for Champions back when I was running a campaign, I expect GMs may find Hero Lab more useful than a player would. But I don't know what I'm missing, so I'm curious. What benefits does Hero Lab have for players over and above what Excel can do? (Ideally, what Ski's Character Generator can do, for anyone who's used that.)

Thanks!

FuzzyBoots
02-11-2016, 01:05 PM
It allows for more complicated builds, and is a little easier to reprogram. :)

Rush
03-29-2016, 10:23 AM
I know this is a bit old...

For me, the biggest advantage by far is that you get the ability to print out nice, easy-to-read summaries of your characters, their equipment, their lairs, their sidekicks, etc., as a (usually) multi-page document.

In fact, that is one of the main reasons I bought Hero Lab. You can download it for free to preview it, and can create characters all day long, but you cannot (1) save characters, or (2) print them out until you purchase the software.

I don't know what they're charging nowadays, but try the free version; you might find the program is just what you were looking for.

AverageJoe
03-30-2016, 06:42 AM
In general hero lab is a easier to use program. My only gripe is that sometimes it fails to explain certain problems. I.e. I was building an NPC and it rated the NPC as PL 16 even though it was built to PL 12. I double and triple checked everything and still couldn't make heads or tails of it. But that is a very out of the ordinary incident, I highly recommend it.

JDRook
03-31-2016, 09:54 AM
In general hero lab is a easier to use program. My only gripe is that sometimes it fails to explain certain problems. I.e. I was building an NPC and it rated the NPC as PL 16 even though it was built to PL 12. I double and triple checked everything and still couldn't make heads or tails of it. But that is a very out of the ordinary incident, I highly recommend it.
Without actually seeing it, I would guess one of three things:
High Skills - PL + 10 can get pushed up unexpected, especially with powers that affect skills
High Grabbing - some powers give Grab bonuses and combined with a high enough Close Attack it can push you over
Undefined Close or Ranged Attack skill - this happens a lot when I modify a character as a template for another build; whatever trait the Attack Skill bonus applied to is gone, or I just have an extra Affects Attack slot with No Selection and it messes up the math.

If it's not one of those, I'd be very curious to see the file.