PDA

View Full Version : Considering a purchase...

karossii
08-26-2015, 11:48 PM
I am considering getting hero lab. I am on the fence, but almost decided to buy it. If I do, I am further conflicted as to whether I will get the add-ons or not. Aside from pre-filled powers and gadgets, which I could build in the base hero lab, is there anything additional added functionality wise, or anything I couldn't (or could not easily) replicate with the base 3e M&M rules set? I do have the books already, so I can just browse them and anything I want to use, spend a minute creating. But I'm guessing there has to be *something* that isn't so easily done with the base rules set, or it wouldn't be worth selling for $8 and $10...

karossii
08-26-2015, 11:59 PM
I guess just disregard the question. I decided to pull the trigger - was going to buy all three, and get 80% of the way through the purchase only to find that they do not accept AmEx. Their loss. And, I suppose, mine too.

FuzzyBoots
08-27-2015, 03:08 AM
The Gadget Guides and Power Profiles are decently useful, although I really wish that they had implemented better filtering.

As regards American Express, they kind of shot themselves in the foot with the higher fees. When vendors either had to pay over double the fees on American Express transactions, or accept no other card, many of the smaller business shrugged and said, "American Express's loss".

JDRook
08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Many moons ago, I actually got my FLGS to order HeroLab for me through their credit card, but I'm a rabid addict, so you may not want to go that far.

Naturally I have the add-ons, but I'm sure I could live without them, since I already own all of the PDF guides and usually prefer building up from the base effects anyway.

I believe Fuzzy's filter comment is in regard to the Powers list ballooning up from about 40 effects and a few extra sample powers to HUNDREDS of prebuilts, which can make for a lot of scrolling. I do like the search window, which actually looks for your term anywhere in the power description, including the build itself, so you can look up builds with certain effects, modifiers, durations, etc. It's still pretty clumsy, though, and I would love a single switch that would make it default to the effects list instead of the full list every gorram time.

Squirrelly-sama
08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Hmm, I'd recommend just getting the PDF, the add-on doesn't add much to justify the cost in my opinion, especially when the whole book isn't that much more.

I think it's the Add-on that adds some of the new extras automatically to the system but there's ways to add those yourself if you need to.

karossii
08-27-2015, 03:16 PM
So, the short answer seems to be, if I do end up buying Hero Lab, the extras aren't really adding anything other than saving me the time of building powers from the various guides (which I already have).

As to AmEx - I am a small business owner with multiple merchant accounts (one for each of my businesses), and have never had any issues accepting the cards. Their fee structure is different, but not exceptionally higher, than Visa, MC, or Discover. I do have other cards, but that account is the one I use for hobby related stuff. If a merchant/vendor cannot accept it, I find someone else who does, or live without that particular good/service. So, until/unless they decide to accept AmEx, I won't look for any workaround to figure out how to pay them, but continue to use the software in demo mode, and use screenshots.

Onion Bubs
08-28-2015, 07:49 AM
I think it's the Add-on that adds some of the new extras automatically to the system but there's ways to add those yourself if you need to.

That's the sole reason I bought the add-ons. I couldn't work out how to recreate the "Limited to 3rd Degree" flaw using Hero Lab's base package.

Quistar
08-28-2015, 11:54 AM
You should be able to order with PayPal.

Andrew

karossii
08-28-2015, 12:34 PM
That's the sole reason I bought the add-ons. I couldn't work out how to recreate the "Limited to 3rd Degree" flaw using Hero Lab's base package.Is that not in the base package? It is in the demo version, which I thought was limited to the base package.

Andrew
No, they do not accept PayPal either. Otherwise, I would use my AmEx through PayPal.

Onion Bubs
08-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Is that not in the base package? It is in the demo version, which I thought was limited to the base package.

Limited Degree, yes, but not Limited to 3rd Degree. Unless they put that in the base package after I already bought the add-ons.

karossii
08-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Limited Degree, yes, but not Limited to 3rd Degree. Unless they put that in the base package after I already bought the add-ons.
Limited to 3rd degree is in the demo. No idea if that means it is in the base package, or not.

SignalGK
08-29-2015, 12:37 AM

Andrew

I'd previously bought my licenses that way but when I went to check they now state that they don't feel Paypal is secure anymore and therefore no longer accept.

I have to admit, for me the tactical console and encounters are must haves as is the ability to quickly alter characters to match my adventures are worth the cost of purchasing Herolab (I am also a fan of PDFs that include the herolab.por files as they allow me to adapt them to my game background easier.