PDA

View Full Version : [Recruiting] Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

kenmadragon
08-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Argon City In Need Of Heroes!

Welcome to lovely, scenic Argon City. A city of tomorrow, where the future is bright and shining. A city where things happen. Citizens love her. Other cities want to be her. Argon City is the place to be. A city on the edge of world - a world where evil lurks in every shadow.

The World of Argon City needs saving.

Plagued by crooks and criminals, and beset by villains of nefarious sorts, the Earth and its people are in need of heroes to save them.

So, the only question is...

Do you have what it takes to be a Hero?

Coming Soon To A Forum Near You...

What game system are we using?
Icons: Assembled Edition. If you only have the Icons rules, and not the Assembled Edition, please say so. Things from Great Power may be used on request, but the rules in I:AE overrule those in GP.

What setting is being used?
Once you've voiced interest and joined as a player, we'll go through the Universe-Building rules to craft the world of Argon City. So, the setting itself hasn't been created just yet. However, there are a few guidelines for it. The tone should be a mix of Four-Color and Silver Age. Grayscale should be used sparingly. The time is the Modern Era, with a slight nod towards Superman:TAS style of being somewhat more advanced than what we have in the real world. Stick to the classics. If you can envision it happening in a comic book, and it's sufficiently Golden or Silver to actually happen, then cool. A good example of this is Timmverse stuff.

How Many Players Are Being Taken?
I don't really see a reason why everyone shouldn't at least have a shot. But, for the sake of keeping things simple - if you haven't pitched in by the Interest Deadline, then you may or may not be able to participate in world-building. You can still create a character if the GM is willing, but the world-building takes time, and requires a modicum of investment into the setting you'll be creating/playing in.

How Will We Be Playing This?
I'd honestly prefer PbP. If this proves unfeasible, then we'll see, but for now, it's play-by-post.

When Is The Interest Deadline?
I'm tentatively setting that to 2400 hours UTC on Sunday, August 23. That should be sufficient time to gauge how many people are actually interesting in participating in world-building.

How Do I Show Interest?
Just post a reply telling us your username, what time-zone you're in, and that you can commit to posting at least once a day (more would be better, of course). A promise that you won't go AWOL without warning would be nice, too. Also, if you have any experience with Icons (any edition, either playing or GMing), then just say so!

So, Who's Running This Shindig Then?
Well, since the ideal is to start up a round of GMs via troupe-play, the "current" game-master is variable. But, as the guy who's starting it up and presiding over character creation, I, kenmadragon, will be the Head-Honcho who's "running the show". That means veto-power, baby! But in all honesty, I'm a nice guy, and we're all here to have fun. I'm just here to make sure everything stays on track, and will be the first to put on the GM-hat.

Anything Else We Need To Know?
We're all friends here. So, Be Cool. If there are problems, we will deal with it like civilized individuals.

More Info To Come Shortly.

kenmadragon
Reserved.

kenmadragon
Setting Features

Organization (Terror)

The "Sons of Entropy" are a secretive and malignant group of terrorists devoted to the destabliization of world governments and the establishment of a global society run under pseudo-anarchic principles. Though their existence is known to the world at large, and they have made several magnanimous attempts at achieving their goals (and been thwarted), the cells still operate underground, and their members are mostly unknown. Intelligence communities world-wide are on the case, and have managed to trace the Sons of Entropy's activities back to the Great War, though the true origins of the terrorist organization is as of yet unknown. The Sons of Entropy are currently led by a man known to the world solely as "Novum", a masked demagogue and skilled agent rumored to have metahuman abilities.

Artificial Intelligence

Created by world-renown scientist Dr. Hubert Romaine nearly a decade ago, the android known as "Clockwork" was initially created as a means of calculating theoretical means of accessing extra-dimensional energy for public use. Corruption to it's programming occurred when Blockbuster of the Magna Guard retrieved him for Dr. Romaine after having been stolen by The Tempo Terror. Developing sentience, Clockwork turned on his creator, and attempted to drag world monuments through an dimensional rift. Stopped by the Magna Guard, Clockwork's corrupted programming was fixed, but his sentience and free will remained. Clockwork departed Earth to explore other dimensions - his current whereabouts are unknown.

Alien Race

After encountering the team of Earth explorers known as the Journeyers on a chance meeting in the Oort Cloud, the alien race known as the Khelbanians grew interested in Earth. After a tentative invasion force was repelled by mighty Earth heroes, the Khelbanian Empire has since had a growing appreciation for Earthlings, and after lengthy negotiations, decided to leave Earth out of their designs for Imperial Expansion. While the aliens of Khelban are not friends of Earth, there are still many on both sides who feel like the peace between the two races is wrong.

Alternate Species

The Aquarians are an ancient race of humanoids who have adapted to amphibious life. On their secret archipelago hidden under an advanced cloaking field in the middle of the Pacific, the Aquarians are a tenacious lot. Despite their seclusion, the Aquarians boast incredible technological capabilities within their almost utopian society. However, they are fearful of outsiders, which proved to be a problem as they were revealed to the world by the villainous Riptide - an Aquarian villain who unveiled the Aquarians to the world. Now known to the human world, the Aquarians have begun to tentatively get in touch with human society - but still guard they're secrets and their home very carefully.

Super-School

With the rise of super-beings around the globe, Argon City has found the need for ways of handling these threats. While prisons are still being updated with the technology necessary for supervillain containment, issues now arise from the fact that certain individuals develop their abilities as children. Given that these children may not be able to fit into normal classrooms and still need education fit to their "unusual" needs, Argon City's Department of Education came up with fitting solution - a special school designed to cater to metahuman children. Mayview Elementary School was created for just that purpose - a safe place for metahuman children in Argon City to go through the standard educational curriculum, as well as special courses on ethics and justice, as well as meta-ability control, self-restraint, and discipline. The school is to all appearance a normal elementary school, for its status as a 'super'-school is kept secret from the public.

Glimpse of the Future

Jordan McCrow, now going by Timekeeper, claims to be from the 25th Century. After chancing upon a temporal gateway in her own time, Timekeeper ended up in Argon City, where she has joined Super-Society. While she swears to never abuse her knowledge of the future, it is Timekeeper's personal secret that she doesn't actually know much more about history beyond what happened in the 24th and 25th centuries, and is quite lost in this time. Fortunately for her, she has fallen in love with the "quaint" 21st century, and has decided she likes being a superhero of sorts, making do with being stuck in the past.

Occult Entities

Kh'menomentotalp was an ancient MesoAmerican King and powerful sorcerer, known for his cruelty and megalomania. Deciding that death would not be the end of his reign, Kh'menomentotalp enacted forbidden blood-magic rituals to ascend to the level of gods as an immortal. Things did not go well as his rituals were interrupted by his own son. Mortally wounded from the backlash of the interrupted rituals, Kh'menomentotalp ordered himself to be mummified upon his actual death - if his body would die, then he would ensure his soul lived own, leaving his son to watch over his corpse, not knowing his son's treachery. Kh'menomentotalp was hidden in a secret tomb and sealed behind great wards, then buried beneath the Earth to never see the light of day. Centuries later, anthropologists discovered the remains of a buried pyramid underground, and unearthed the secret tomb. As the foolish explorers and scholars entered the tomb and accidentally broke the wards, Kh'menomentotalp awakened from death, and unleashed his fury upon the nearby area. Defeated by the Earth's Master Magician, Dr. Curio, Kh'menomentotalp has been trapped in magical stone coffin after coffin, breaking out each time to plot his rise back to power and the subjugation of the world.

kenmadragon
Quite Possibly Reserved.

kenmadragon
08-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Reserved Until Further Notice.

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-15-2015, 06:30 PM
SilvercatMoonpaw, CDT, can definitely commit to once per day (can probably commit to more frequently, to be honest). I can guarantee I won't quit or have a delay without saying so, but experience has taught me that sometimes I lose interest in things rather suddenly.

I tried GMing an ICONS (original) game once, but found it tricky to judge how the numbers related to the challenge NPCs provided. That shouldn't be a problem with PCs.

Are you going to want us to roll? Do you want us to post our character creation rolls from some online system, or are we on the honor system?

lazygm
08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm interested in both world building, playing and GMing.

lazygm UTC+2

I can post at least once per day Mondays to Fridays but hopefully more often but I can't commit to that.

kenmadragon
08-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Are you going to want us to roll? Do you want us to post our character creation rolls from some online system, or are we on the honor system?

I'm actually planning on holding off on rolling up characters till we have a decent group of players for the troupe, so we can do universe-creation together. But when we do create characters, I'm fine with players rolling. Point-buy is optional, but there's something appealing about a randomly generated character tailored to a player's tastes.

Rolls will probably be an honor-system thing, but I do like the documentation of rolls idea. I dunno, it's up to you guys. I'd really rather not clog up the threads with badly-formed tags to dice rolls, so if you do document, wrap the tags around the rolls numbers, and don't just post the links. Not really sure what the proper terms are for that, though...

Lightning
08-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Been a while since I did PBP, but I rather liked it. Have done the Icons world building thing for the last in-person game I played, and frankly didn't particularly enjoy that process, so if there's space after that's done I'd like to be considered.

kenmadragon
08-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Well, if the general consensus is to not engage in universe-creation, than that's fine by me. We can just have players roll up one character, and I'll do the universe-creation myself. Still, it helps to know how many people are actually interested/willing to play. That way, details of the universe can be easily tailored to the players' characters, allowing for greater integration of the characters into the setting.

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-20-2015, 04:37 AM
I'm okay with trying to contribute to world-building, but doesn't that usually happen by players writing world details into their backgrounds?

For some people it is easier to fiddle around with existing details than to create wholly new ones.

kenmadragon
08-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Well, a week has passed, so if you're all still interested, then go ahead with rolling up characters. Just means we won't have a large team roster, but more of a heroic trio, banding together to save the fair Argon City!

And as you guys wish, I'll be adding more details to the front page for use in helping to flesh out your characters.

Lightning
08-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Lightning, EDT, and once a day should be no problem. So should not being a dick. At least not intentionally.

Might I suggest a common origin? Even family? Sounds like Argon City might have enough variety already, and having firm connections can help us skip over the trustbuilding and "why are these people together" parts. Not that they aren't potentially great parts, but I generally find them tedious in PBP.

Do we want already recognized heroes?

Personally I like the idea of working for some agency (or if we go with family, elders) that can brief us and whom we can report back to. Always good to have some NPC brains that can make sense of things if we're slow.

I hereby commit to not playing a loner. I want to like the others.

lazygm
08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Lightning, EDT, and once a day should be no problem. So should not being a dick. At least not intentionally.

Might I suggest a common origin? Even family? Sounds like Argon City might have enough variety already, and having firm connections can help us skip over the trustbuilding and "why are these people together" parts. Not that they aren't potentially great parts, but I generally find them tedious in PBP.

Do we want already recognized heroes?

Personally I like the idea of working for some agency (or if we go with family, elders) that can brief us and whom we can report back to. Always good to have some NPC brains that can make sense of things if we're slow.

I hereby commit to not playing a loner. I want to like the others.

I find that a common origin is stifling. But I wouldn't mind if our heroes already had formed a team and a trust in each other.

At the moment I'm looking into a "What if Bruce Wayne had gotten spider powers" type of character or Detective Spiderman if you prefer. Going for brooding team player rather then lone wolf.

Lightning
08-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Okay, but I'm curious, stifling in which way?

lazygm
08-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Well a common origin would mean that most superhero teams wouldn't work unless you were talking about an event like repelling an alien invasion or stopping a rampaging monster. Look at the Justice League or Avengers, they would be less interesting if they shared an origin - be it magic, tech or mutations. Ofc this is just my opinion.

I'm still working on the backstory and Qualities but here is what I would like to play:

Abilities
Prowess - 5
Coordination - 8
Strength - 7
Intellect - 5
Awareness - 4
Willpower - 5

Specialities
Investigation
Martial Arts

Spider Powers: Wall crawling 4
Spider-Tech: Swinging 5 - Extra: Binding 5 with the Burnout Limit

Stamina: 12
Starting Determination: 1

Abilities 34p + Specialities 2p + Powers 9p

So should he be called the Arachnid or the Crawler?

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Here's my character, all rolled. Going to have to think about this for a bit.

Char-Gen: 2d6=11, 2d6=8, 2d6=8, 2d6=8, 2d6=9, 2d6=9, 2d6=5, 2d6=7, 2d6=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4857133/)
Power-Gen (type, subtype, level, repeat): 2d6=4, 2d6=9, 2d6=7, 2d6=7, 2d6=4, 2d6=8, 2d6=9, 2d6=6, 2d6=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4857137/)
Unearthly Two-Origin Roll: 2d6=5, 2d6=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4857138/)
Birthright Extra Power: 2d6=7, 2d6=7, 2d6=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4857139/)

Origin: Unearthly (Transformed [+2]/Birthright [extra power])

Prowess: 5
Coordination: 5
Strength: 5
Intellect: 6
Awareness: 6
Willpower: 4

Powers: 4 (roll 3 + 1 extra)
--Control: Gadgets 5
--Offensive: Affliction 5
--Alteration: Extra Body Parts 6
--Offensive: Dazzle 5

Specialties: 3

Lightning
08-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Well a common origin would mean that most superhero teams wouldn't work unless you were talking about an event like repelling an alien invasion or stopping a rampaging monster. Look at the Justice League or Avengers, they would be less interesting if they shared an origin - be it magic, tech or mutations. Ofc this is just my opinion.

I'm a little confused, the Justice League (animated one anyway) and the Avengers (movie) both had alien invasions, so they seem like odd examples to show that groups with varied origins wouldn't require such an event. :)

And I don't see how they're more interesting than say, Fantastic Four or X-Men.

But it doesn't matter whether I understand your opinion, that you don't care for a common origin in the game is enough, so that's out. So how might the group have been formed and how long ago? Outside forces, sponsors, or our own idea?

lazygm
08-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Here's my character, all rolled. Going to have to think about this for a bit.

Heh, Unearthly is a great origin for weirdness. Good luck with the puzzle :)

I'm a little confused, the Justice League (animated one anyway) and the Avengers (movie) both had alien invasions, so they seem like odd examples to show that groups with varied origins wouldn't require such an event. :)

And I don't see how they're more interesting than say, Fantastic Four or X-Men.

But it doesn't matter whether I understand your opinion, that you don't care for a common origin in the game is enough, so that's out. So how might the group have been formed and how long ago? Outside forces, sponsors, or our own idea?

Well I didn't want to assume that you meant origin as "shared power source" instead of "shared starting event". From my viewpoint, a varied group gives more hooks for different stories where one member could take charge and the other be out of their element so to speak. To me that is more interesting. That's why I find JLA/Avengers type teams superior to FF/X-men. Those are great for themed stories, like family or prejudice to take the cited examples, but everyone is almost always on equal footing against the opposition. And as players we all have to agree about the origin and find that theme acceptable. Without a theme, then it's just hindering my options and that was what I meant by stifling. Hope that this clears things up, otherwise we can discuss further over PM. :)

Anyway..
Unless kenmadragon has a fixed idea I have a idea of a sponsor who can't directly act himself. Like a incorporeal Spirit of Justice or Oracle from DC if one would want a mundane alternative. The sponsor should be tried, tested and someone we can trust.
This is if we want to go the sponsor route and not be government-tied or what have you.

Lightning
08-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Okay that makes sense enough. I did mean common origin to be either or both of those meanings. For a game I just felt cohesive would be more fun and more getting right into the plot/action, rather than the "introduce yourselves" part, which I've been through enough times, and given play by post usually peters out quickly I'd like to get further into the plot for once before that happens. :)

Kenmadragon, any background you've settled on yet? Or considering and want to bounce off us?

kenmadragon
08-27-2015, 12:17 PM
I've currently been leaning towards a "team-up issue" of sorts for the first adventure, then see how that plays out from there. But, I'm not setting anything in stone till I've actually gotten a better idea of what the characters are...

Though, I will say that I'd rather you have some sort of diversity in origins and stuff. Shared origins are cool and all, but given how the world is going to be of a 'diverse' nature, it'd fit that you guys had different origin-stories than everyone saying "I was born with a mutation" or "I was exposed to toxic waste". A lot of the best super-teams consist of individuals of differing powers, backgrounds, and sources, and I'd prefer if we followed that model, if its all the same to you folks. Gives a lot more options to a GM, you know?

Lightning
08-27-2015, 01:01 PM
If that's what you both prefer, you really don't need to justify it with examples, because there are examples of great teams in the other column as well. It's just what you want, and that's fine.

As far as character creation, I was really hoping for more world info first to have things to tie into, but grabbing from thin air I'll say I'd like to be a scientist with a background studying the super-phenomenon. Unless you're going to have plenty of intellectual resources available among the NPCs we can talk to, or work for. I tend to like to theorize and it might as well be in character.

It might help if you have any powers that you would prefer not to be available to PC's to let us know. There's usually some that any given GM prefers not to deal with (quite reasonably in my opinion) like time travel, mind reading, possession...

From the Team-Up issue idea, it sounds like you are leaning toward having an "introduction to each other " phase?

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 01:48 PM
So I eventually decided to roll and find out what my Extra Limb was: 2d6=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4857395/) >> Extra Legs.

So I'm some kind of centaur-like creature not from Earth with an innate Dazzle power. Well if it's and Auditory Dazzle I could have a lion-centaur (kind of a wemic, if you've heard of them). And so the gadgets are......cyborg parts? With the main weapon being a pain touch?

Lightning
08-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Well so much for undercover work. :)

I remember the wemic from back in AD&D days. Never used or encountered one but liked the illustration. I guess they had a roar power?

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
I should mention my own feeling on "getting together" is that I don't mind running through that. I think it's really stupidly annoying for someone to come into a team game and then decide their character won't join the group because it's "in-character". Don't design a character that won't join a group if you feel that way.

Of course introductions are kind of boring. But it's almost impossible to start with people who know each other when we don't know each others' characters that well. So we have "Boredom vs Awkward".

kenmadragon
08-27-2015, 04:03 PM
@Silvercat - You know, I wouldn't have minded if you just decided to choose what king of extra limbs you had. Because having 6 extra legs is kinda... arachnid-ish.

@Everyone - Don't feel constrained by what you rolled - remember, you can trade in 'rolled powers' for extras on other powers. Which is somewhat mechanically advantageous, and fitting with how comic books tend to work - it's also way easier to create character concepts for random characters that way. Ie, I'm encouraging this is because it means you get to customize and personalize a bit more.

That, and most comic-book aliens in my experience that are human-ish tend to be more common for obvious reasons - the bizarre ones seemingly relegated mostly to being antagonists in many stories.

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 04:34 PM
@Silvercat - You know, I wouldn't have minded if you just decided to choose what king of extra limbs you had. Because having 6 extra legs is kinda... arachnid-ish.
Okay, now I have an idea. http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/zorrito/www.MessenTools.com-50%20asesino.gif

(Also I was given the impression the level just determined how fast I ran, not how many legs I had to have.)

That, and most comic-book aliens in my experience that are human-ish tend to be more common for obvious reasons - the bizarre ones seemingly relegated mostly to being antagonists in many stories.
You're not going to last long around me.

kenmadragon
08-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Okay, now I have an idea. http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/zorrito/www.MessenTools.com-50%20asesino.gif

(Also I was given the impression the level just determined how fast I ran, not how many legs I had to have.)

You're not going to last long around me.

Huh, would you look at that. You're right, level doesn't say how many extra body parts you have. Don't know why I thought that then.

On the other hand, I was just making an observation. :) It's sort-of a conceit of the genre, you know?

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 05:08 PM
:) It's sort-of a conceit of the genre, you know?
Oh I understand. I just have a "thing" for characters that look a little weird.

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-27-2015, 05:51 PM
As much as I'd like to play a part-spider character I've been wanting to play a part-snake character more. So I'm going to decide that instead of Extra Legs I have No Legs giving me 1/2 rank Speed and 1/2 rank Resistance (effects that would trip or otherwise knock me off my feet) giving me a snake tail for legs. I am otherwise human-looking.

Wadjet

A alien scientist chosen by the Egyptian goddess to wield the burning touch of the sun and strike down all those who grow too imperious.

Qualities
"Time for a bright idea!"
Not From Around Here
Part Snake

Determination: 2; Stamina: 11

Origin: Unearthly (Transformed [+2 Will]/Birthright [extra power])

Prowess: 5
Strength: 5
Intellect: 6
Awareness: 6
Willpower: 6

Powers: 4 (roll 3 + 1 extra)
--Alien Tech (Gadgets 5)
--Burning Sun Fire Poison Touch (Offensive: Affliction 5)
--Sun Flare (Offensive: Dazzle [vision] 5)
--No Legs (Alteration: Extra Body Parts 6 [3 Super-Speed, 3 Resistance (tripping/knocking-over effects)])

Specialties: 3
--Computers
--Electronics
--Wrestling

kenmadragon
08-27-2015, 07:42 PM
It should be of note that in AE, Challenges are Qualities, so you'll need to rephrase your qualities to have three, not five. It's a good idea to have qualities that are both positive and negative at the same time in some ways. Also, please list Stamina on the sheet next to Determination. It's good to have that noted down.

And for reference, do you mean she appears like a Lamia? Also, if memory serves, Wadjet was a protective/guardian diety, wasn't she? I don't recall her being one that overthrough tyrants, but protected the king and upheld order and Ma'at. Unless she's gotten ornery in the years, especially since she hasn't been revered in the last few centuries? :P

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-28-2015, 04:30 AM
And for reference, do you mean she appears like a Lamia?
Yes.

Also, if memory serves, Wadjet was a protective/guardian diety, wasn't she? I don't recall her being one that overthrough tyrants, but protected the king and upheld order and Ma'at. Unless she's gotten ornery in the years, especially since she hasn't been revered in the last few centuries? :P
And Loki is Thor's adopted uncle rather than brother and Hades is one of the nicest of the Greek gods (comparatively) rather than The Devil.

I thought we were going by Comic Book Logic. ;)

(To explain further I'm conflating her with the cobra that bit Ra (http://www.egyptianmyths.net/mythre.htm).)

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-29-2015, 06:16 AM
It should be of note that in AE, Challenges are Qualities, so you'll need to rephrase your qualities to have three, not five. It's a good idea to have qualities that are both positive and negative at the same time in some ways. Also, please list Stamina on the sheet next to Determination. It's good to have that noted down.
Made all these changes.

kenmadragon
08-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Cool. Now we just need a background for Wadjet to help flesh her out. And input from the two other players with regards to their own characters (stats, qualities, and background would all be nice!).

Lightning
08-29-2015, 11:55 AM
And input from the two other players with regards to their own characters (stats, qualities, and background would all be nice!).

I was waiting for some info you said you'd post to help flesh out the characters. Did you mean you'd post it after we started? It would be a lot easier for me to know something first.

Also had some questions, perhaps you missed my post:

Any power you'd rather avoid for the PC's?

Does the "scientist studying superpowers" background work for you? Or would that be superfluous given available NPC's?

lazygm
08-30-2015, 01:47 AM
I'll repost Arachnid here with background and all. I dropped Binding, since I'll intend to use Power Stunts/Retcons on the Spider-Tech to get access to all those wonderful toys.

My background is all pre-team since we haven't discussed it as a group. I have made room for animal themed super villains in my backstory and would like to have a nemesis, the Hyena (think the Joker from Dark Knight with the powers of Sabretooth) but it is up to kenmadragon to green light that.

Arachnid
http://orig12.deviantart.net/9079/f/2011/227/5/e/5e47cc27d4c2647f8a8cdb9ea12651e2-d46l3ay.jpg

Qualities
Obsessive Crime Fighter
“Caught in my web!”
Bio-Enhanced Young Billionaire

Abilities
Prowess - 5
Coordination - 8
Strength - 7
Intellect - 5
Awareness - 4
Willpower - 5

Specialities
Investigation
Martial Arts

Spider Powers: Wall crawling 4
Spider-Tech Utility Belt: Gadgets 5, Swinging 5 Extra with the Tangled Flaw: After each use, roll d6, on a 1-2 the Swingline needs an action of re-spooling to work again.

Stamina: 12
Determination: 1

Backstory
Conrad Gore was the sole child of genius inventor Robert Gore and renowned surgeon Miranda Gore. Robert owned the highly successful company GoTech and the Gore family was part of Argon City’s elite. Robert and Miranda were known to be great humanitarians and made great effort to impart that responsibility to their son. Conrad remembers his childhood fondly up until the gala. GoTech was hosting and was going to show a product that would change the future. Armed men stormed the gala, took 10-year old Conrad and several guests hostage, and forced Robert and Miranda to the another room. Conrad remembers time standing still as he waited, tearful and panicking for what would happen. Then he heard the shots fired - the sounds still echo in his dreams. What happened afterwards is a blur. The attackers left and the police arrived. A case of industrial theft gone horribly wrong, a case that never got solved.

Gordon Daniels, his fathers closest colleague, became his custodian and encouraged Conrad to focus on studies. Gordon meant well but couldn’t see the obsessive nature in Conrad. For the next 7 years he studied, trained and planned for one day being able to strike at the corruption that he believed had led to his parents deaths. He had his suspicions but realised that he needed an edge to be able to fight. In hopes of finding that edge he became more involved with GoTech. Working so closely with Gordon exposed his intentions, Gordon relented and revealed a part of the puzzle that had been missing. GoTech had been working on bio-enhancements that could have applications for a great many fields. The attackers at the gala had wanted the Chimera project - super-soldier bio-enhancements. Gordon believed that Robert and Miranda died trying to convince the attackers not to use the unstable and untested compounds of Project: Chimera.

Gordon had also investigated, following rumours of the “Chimeras” around the world and worried what damage they might do. Finally Gordon revealed something monumental. The armed men didn’t get their hands on the only stable version of the project. In a hidden vault Gordon showed the vial labeled “Homo Sapiens Araneae”. Conrad realised that he had finally found his edge. Conrad spent almost a year preparing for the serum, he read up on his father’s research and followed a strict diet to prepare his body. After his rigorous preparation Conrad took the vial, injected himself with the serum and gained his abilities. Superhuman Strength and Coordination and the ability to stick to walls.

Conrad spent another 3 months honing his abilities before donning the suit he had created and becoming the Arachnid. As the Arachnid he fought crime by nights but he still had responsibilities by day and the lack of support made his double life hard. Conrad begun slipping and he got seriously injured one night. He needed medical attention and that is how Gordon found out what his ward had been up to. Gordon saved Conrad’s life but was furious. Eventually he realised that Conrad was set on this course of action and wouldn’t back down. Gordon agreed to help Conrad but forced Conrad to swear to never kill, never to become some deranged vigilante but instead strive to become a true hero. In return Gordon would provide gadgets and support.

Since then the Arachnid has worked from the shadows, scaring criminals and helping the police unofficially. Conrad also saved Gordon’s daughter during a bank robbery, Abigail and accidentally revealed his identity to her. Now Abby is part of team Spider as tech support, to the chagrin of her father.
Conrad is now 21 years old, he still has a obsessive streak but has since learned the value in the help of others.

Abilities 34p + Specialities 2p + Powers 9p

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Now we just need a background for Wadjet to help flesh her out.
I'll be honest: I got nothing. Character's not going to work out. I'll try thinking up something else, maybe do a few more test character rolls, but unfortunately my creativity in the superhero department has never been the greatest and I may just not be suited to it.

SilvercatMoonpaw
08-31-2015, 06:15 AM
There's no use dragging this out: I'm no longer in a superhero mood. I've tried an tried thinking of a character, but nothing happens. I've hit a slump period, no sense in making everyone wait for it to be over.

Lightning
08-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Well then unless others join or Kenmadragon confirms he's willing to run a heroic DUO, this seems to be done.

kenmadragon
08-31-2015, 05:55 PM
That is unfortunate, Silvercat. If you ever change your mind or get back in the superhero mood, then there'll be a spot open for you if you wish.

Also, if you haven't noticed people, the "Recruiting" sign hasn't changed, so yes, this is still recruiting. But, for the meanwhile, I am totally okay with starting off with a heroic duo - a literal "team up adventure". Maybe something like World's Finest, and similar stuff.

Lightning
08-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Okay, then I have a couple of questions open.

kenmadragon
08-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Okay, then I have a couple of questions open.

If it's about setting elements, then I'm here to say that I've already rolled them up. Just need to finish writing all the fluff-stuff. Though, I will say that since I'm encouraging the random-roll-char-gen, you don't really need to wait on that stuff. :p You can roll up a character, and can just edit the small details as you like to fit the world (if you wish).

lazygm
09-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I'm up for a duo game.

kenmadragon, any input on Arachnid?

kenmadragon
09-01-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm up for a duo game.

kenmadragon, any input on Arachnid?

Still reading through his background. I'm about half-way through it, and it looks good so far.

Lightning
09-03-2015, 02:41 PM
If it's about setting elements, then I'm here to say that I've already rolled them up. Just need to finish writing all the fluff-stuff. Though, I will say that since I'm encouraging the random-roll-char-gen, you don't really need to wait on that stuff. :p You can roll up a character, and can just edit the small details as you like to fit the world (if you wish).
Even with random char-gen, some knowledge would influence the conscious tradeoffs and choices that are available. Any background I actually write isn't random at all.

I don't seem to be on the same wavelength here. Not always a bad thing but it's not helping me get going. So far the few suggestions or preferences I had, things went the other way. That's fine, but please don't ask me to throw more at the wall to see what sticks. I asked questions so I can at least be going in your direction.

If you're done with the fluff by now and can post something, or can bear an incomplete posting and fluffing in some details later, then I can start, and maybe others will see something they like and join.

kenmadragon
09-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Sorry about the late updates - for some reason, everything I tried posting was hit by the "front-page-posting-bug" that pops up every now and then. It's finally relented, so I managed to update the first page of this thread with various setting elements by copying and pasting them one at a time. There's still the Feature for "Cosmic Entities" that I've been trying to get up, but the bug seems to hate that one in particular now instead of everything I post in general. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing the bug now (because it changes every now and then).

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-07-2015, 03:23 PM
If you ever change your mind or get back in the superhero mood, then there'll be a spot open for you if you wish.
Well, I'm back.

I'm still not quite sure what to do for a character, though. There's a weird part of me that feels like there's something I could do mashing up inspiration from Guardians of the Galaxy (the new cartoon), Vixen's power set, a picture I found online (http://looji.deviantart.com/art/WATER-NYMPH-PAYMENT-555955801), and an idea I used in a teen hero game about a dimension where you can get magical genetic engineering to get features reminiscent of various D&D/anime/video-game monsters.

Possibly some kind of mimic magic slime-woman, an unfortunate result of a cosmetic procedure gone wrong (or did it?....) and dumped on Earth to cover up the crime. I'll keep thinking about it, but if anyone has any suggestions that might be helpful.

kenmadragon
09-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Didn't know there was a TV show for that now. Gonna have to watch it sometime now.

Good to see you back! :)

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Didn't know there was a TV show for that now. Gonna have to watch it sometime now.
They were mostly doing two-part 2 minute "origin" vids filling in gaps in the characters' histories that the movie didn't cover. It's assumed you've seen the movie.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Getting the name and stats up while I have them.

Plasmagica

Qualities
"Let's see how you like it!"
Mysterious Connection to Ancients
Charmingly Naive

Stamina: 8
Determination: 3

Origin: Unearthly

Prowess: 4
Coordination: 4
Strength: 4
Intellect: 3
Awareness: 2
Willpower: 4

Powers:
--Power Mimicry 7 (Extra: Rangeless)
--Life Support 10

Specialties: 0

Out in the depths of space is a corpse the size of a large asteroid, a mix mechanic, organic, and magical materials in the shape of a giant horse head. It's a haven for less-than-reputable people and those the Ancients of the Cosmos. It was in search of one of these that the Journeyers traveled to the Horse Head, bringing with them an old artifact. Unfortunately Loran the Purifier also sought the artifact and had the Journeyers cornered when the physical substance of the Horse Head came alive! It was a three-way battle between the Journeyers, Loran, and the Head until [insert name of Journeyer] uncovered a puzzle in the artifact's design and solved it. This triggered a flood of slime out of of the artifact, which coalesced into a humanoid female form. When Loran tried to seize her the slime threw the Purifier out of the head using her own enhanced strength. The Journeyers escaped with the slime-woman back to Earth.

The slime, choosing the name Plasmagica at random, is a simple person who fights bad guys out of an instinct she doesn't quite understand. Items of mass chaos especially worry her. There are a great many people who'd love to get their hands on her to figure out what she is and what secrets can be unlocked from her dead body.

kenmadragon
09-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Quick question, Silvercat: what's the description on the Power-Mimicry?

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Quick question, Silvercat: what's the description on the Power-Mimicry?
Cosmic Power (aka "not!Space Magic *wink wink*").

Though really I came up with the name and the idea of her being some kind of cosmic slime, threw in some details from elsewhere like being trapped in something and having no memory/being young, and am not quite sure what power set goes with it. I'm kind of working backwards from the way the book has you do it.

Lightning
09-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Here's what I got from an online ICONS character generator:
Icons character
Origin: Transformed, Trained
Prowess- 3
Coordination- 4
Strength- 4
Intellect- 5
Awareness- 3
Willpower- 3
Stamina:
Determination:
Powers:
Alteration Ray- 4
Adaptation- 5
Binding- 6
Flight- 7
Specialties:
Martial Arts
Art
Psychiatry
Options:
+2 to one specialty
+2 specialties (already added)
Trade power for +2 specialties

I'd still like to go for someone studying superpowers so will likely trade Art for something else, and probably use the "power for 2 specialties" option.

Do you want to stick to the randomly rolled origins, or can we change that in our backstory?

lazygm
09-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Nice to have you back Silvercat! Plasmagica looks to be fun.

Lightning, great to see that you are getting started.

kenmadragon, I've been thinking about Arachnid and after one of my RL players played a gadgeteer I'm thinking that I would like to change Swinging 5 to Gadgets 5 for my Dark ArachKnight. I'd like to have Swinging as well but I'm out of points so I've been struggling with limits that are appropriate. So here's what I was thinking:

SpiderTech Utility Belt: Gadgets 5 with Swinging 5 as an Extra with a variant of the Performance limit. It needs to be recharged/re-spooled by the Utility Belt after each use so it's part of the Utility Belt power and if you shut down the Utility Belt by ways of Trouble I'll only get one point of Determination instead of two. Also implied is that Arachnid has to be able to reach for the Web Launcher to use it and be able to put it back. if I can't then I can't use it and that won't give any determination points either.

Is that limiting enough?

Cheers

Lightning
09-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Lightning, great to see that you are getting started.

Was waiting to hear about the background. I generated this random part a while back, I only just posted it now.

kenmadragon
09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I'd prefer if randomized characters were rolled with actual dice (or online dice, like InvisibleCastle or CoyoteCode). The char-generators online tend to be slightly biased towards certain stuff. But yeah, if you follow the steps laid out in Icons:AE, you should be golden. So, stuff like rolling for random number of specialties, but actually choosing specialties (rolling which specialties you get is an option, though), as well as things like having the option to switch out a rolled power for an extra on another rolled power, or the sacrifice of determination to gain an extra on a rolled power at character creation.

@Silvercat: I was thinking more along the lines of "can you explain how it works"? Not the mechanics of the power itself (that's in the rulebook), but more like the description of how it works and applies with your character. "Cosmic Power" is rather vague in that respect, as you can understand. :o Probably should have been more clear on what I meant by "description", huh? :p

@lazygm: Unfortunately, by having Swinging as an extra of the Gadgets power (Utility Belt being the descriptor), by denying Arachnid access to the belt, Arachnid would only get one DP, not 2, for that Trouble, but lose access to both the Gadgets power and the Swinging power. Also, you could just use the "Charges" flaw on the extra (I have limited swinglines in my pocket) or even the Burnout flaw (There's a finite amount of swing-line stored up). I mean, I'm fine with a flaw like "Everytime I use this power, I roll a die. On a 1-2, the power is <description> and requires an appropriate action to be taken to regain it's use." Similar to the flaw you have on Captain Obvious' shield in the GiantITP game, you know? But I'm just pointing out that there are other flaws out there that also make sense, you dig?

On the other hand, you could always just make a Gadgets test normally to get Swinging like a normal use of the Gadgets power, and perhaps acquire Swinging later on as a Mastered Stunt, if you so wish. But if you feel it's an important part of the character, then simply pick a flaw, and grab the extra now.

lazygm
09-09-2015, 11:16 PM
@lazygm: Unfortunately, by having Swinging as an extra of the Gadgets power (Utility Belt being the descriptor), by denying Arachnid access to the belt, Arachnid would only get one DP, not 2, for that Trouble, but lose access to both the Gadgets power and the Swinging power.

I mean, I'm fine with a flaw like "Everytime I use this power, I roll a die. On a 1-2, the power is <description> and requires an appropriate action to be taken to regain it's use." Similar to the flaw you have on Captain Obvious' shield in the GiantITP game, you know? But I'm just pointing out that there are other flaws out there that also make sense, you dig?

On the Trouble, yeah that was what I meant - 1 DP not 2 and loose both powers since they are tied to the belt.

I could use the Reworded Flaw from Captain Obvious (I love that guy!) like Tangled - after each use, roll a d6, on a 1-2 the web launcher needs an action of re-spooling.

It's a more mechanical version of essentially the same narrative descriptor.

Performance - Has to be able to re-spool between each use.

I would prefer the Performance flaw but Tangled works as well if you feel that it isn't limiting enough. I'll drop the Limit after going through Achievements either way.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-10-2015, 05:05 AM
@Silvercat: I was thinking more along the lines of "can you explain how it works"? Not the mechanics of the power itself (that's in the rulebook), but more like the description of how it works and applies with your character. "Cosmic Power" is rather vague in that respect, as you can understand. :o Probably should have been more clear on what I meant by "description", huh? :p
Answer would have been the same: it exists in the character because I just felt like having that power. Like I said: "Name and general background", still not sure about the stuff in between.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-10-2015, 06:27 AM
So final form, I hope. To note I visualize Plasmagica's Performance limit as her pulling an electric guitar out of nowhere and rocking out while rapidly changing color and pattern. The meta-idea behind this is that she was originally conceived as a character during the "psychidelic" comic phase, and so her modern incarnation makes a nod to that.

Plasmagica (http://looji.deviantart.com/art/WATER-NYMPH-PAYMENT-555955801)

Stamina: 11; Determination: 1

Qualities
"Time for some Plasmagic!"
Mysterious Connection to the Ancients
Charmingly Naive

Origin: Unearthly

Prowess: 3
Strength: 3
Intellect: 3
Awareness: 3
Willpower: 8

Powers:
Plasmagic: Magic 6 (Extra: Mastery [Blast 6])
Plasma Body: Fluid Form 3 (Extra: Energy Form)

Specialties: 0

Out in the depths of space is a corpse the size of a large asteroid, a mix mechanic, organic, and magical materials in the shape of a giant horse head. It's a haven for less-than-reputable people and those the Ancients of the Cosmos. It was in search of one of these that the Journeyers traveled to the Horse Head, bringing with them an old artifact cube box. Unfortunately Loran the Purifier also sought the box and had the Journeyers cornered when the physical substance of the Horse Head came alive! It was a three-way battle between the Journeyers, Loran, and the Head until [insert name of Journeyer] uncovered a puzzle in the artifact's design and solved it. This triggered a flood of slime out of of the artifact, which coalesced into a humanoid female form. The slime empowered the Journeyers with new abilities and together they fought off Loren and escaped to Earth.

The slime, choosing the name Plasmagica for being "plasma magic", is a simple person who fights bad guys out of an instinct she doesn't quite understand. Items of mass chaos especially worry her. There are a great many people who'd love to get their hands on her to figure out what she is and what secrets can be unlocked from her dead body.

kenmadragon
09-12-2015, 02:03 PM
@lazygm: Let's go with Tangled for right now, and move forward.

@Silvercat: Sheet looks fine to me. I'm getting the feeling that artwork with Plasmagica would have tons of Kirby Krackles whenever she uses her powers and stuff. Not sure why a guitar (my thought-process immediately leapt to "why not an air-guitar?"), but sounds cool.

Lightning
09-12-2015, 03:10 PM
If the rest of you are ready, go ahead as a team-up duo.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-12-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm getting the feeling that artwork with Plasmagica would have tons of Kirby Krackles whenever she uses her powers and stuff.
Probably. I'm sure I can picture them, but I haven't had much exposure to them.

Not sure why a guitar (my thought-process immediately leapt to "why not an air-guitar?"), but sounds cool.
Remember she pulls the guitar out of nowhere. But that could be too cartoony. I have nothing against air-guitar.

I wrote it because I both like cartoony and because I can be horribly straightforwards at the wrong moment.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-12-2015, 06:43 PM
If the rest of you are ready, go ahead as a team-up duo.
I imagine this as a buddy-cop thing: Arachnid is the grouchy no-nonsense one, Plasmagica is the happy-go-lucky fun-loving one.

Together they fight crime. http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rimshot.gif

lazygm
09-14-2015, 12:20 AM
It's probably going to be something like the "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" cartoon.

I'm pretty sure that Arachnid assumed that Plasmagica was some hallucination, due to being drugged or having a mental breakdown, at first. :D

kenmadragon, I'll edit the sheet with the Gadgets and Swinging with the Tangled flaw. How, or rather where, will we be doing dice rolls?
Are you going with d6 vs d6 or with the quicker 2d6-7?

Assuming everything is in order, I'm ready to go.

SilvercatMoonpaw
09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that Arachnid assumed that Plasmagica was some hallucination, due to being drugged or having a mental breakdown, at first. :D
Given her appearance and powers she probably gets that a lot.

kenmadragon
09-14-2015, 09:08 AM
That... is an interesting idea I had not considered. Now I need to somehow incorporate that into the Team Up somehow... minor edits will have to be made to my current script.

But yeah, buddy-cop and Brave and the Bold (I loved the cartoon) are good inspirations for the idea of a Team-Up style story.

Anywho, I'll have an IC thread and start to the adventure up within the next few days, once I've dealt with this issue IRL that's threatening to consume my schedule. If I don't deal with it now, it'll be an even bigger problem in the future, and I'd rather start once I've finished dealing with it. Shouldn't be too long though, so don't worry!

SilvercatMoonpaw
11-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Nothing?