PDA

View Full Version : Simple Web Character Roller

rstehwien
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
http://arcanearcade.com/icons-gen/
Generates 5 characters when page refreshed
Outputs pre-formatted text currently (plan to improve UI)
Specialities rolled just to see if it provides inspiration
Some Origins automatically add Specialities or Powers
Trained: +2 Specialities
Birthright: +1 Power (the first power)
Artificial: Life Support
Options at the bottom detail origin customizations
Will not generate characters with attributes worth less than 20 or a total value of 40 (will be adjustable later). Just didn't want to roll "duds".
Code can be found here:
https://github.com/rstehwien/icons-character-generator

Note that this requires a modern browser despite the totally primitive display currently. Using some libraries that are overkill for what I'm currently doing.

rstehwien
04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
The app is now a bit prettier, you don't need to reload the app to generate new characters (there are buttons) and allows you to edit the configuration that determines how the characters are generated. You could replace all the tables if you want. I'll probably add automatic saving/restoring of the characters and configuration at some point soon. Really want to layout the characters so you can see more at once.

WaspEyeLad
04-22-2015, 10:51 PM
The addition of a layout pushed this to "must use" for anyone that actually plays Icons. Knowing I can hit a button and have a good looking sheet for a villain or a hero is great.

That said is there any way one could export the sheet that is randomly generated? If I just copy paste I lose all the smexy layout the app is making for me. Sure I could copy the text only entries with no problem but they don't look nearly as cool/organized.

rstehwien
05-14-2015, 10:36 PM
I'll look into pdf generation, but since all the code is in the browser it will increase the size quite a bit I think.

I tried printing to pdf from the browser and it didn't look pretty.

dirkgentry2000
05-15-2015, 06:59 AM
I'll look into pdf generation, but since all the code is in the browser it will increase the size quite a bit I think.

I tried printing to pdf from the browser and it didn't look pretty.

this is pretty amazing. Have you mentioned this over on the G+ and yahoo groups?

rstehwien
05-16-2015, 01:57 PM
this is pretty amazing. Have you mentioned this over on the G+ and yahoo groups?
Thanks!

I only mentioned it here (my first post was premature ... it looks better now). I saw it pop up on rpg.net today. Probably should share it on a few other sites.

dirkgentry2000
05-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks!

I only mentioned it here (my first post was premature ... it looks better now). I saw it pop up on rpg.net today. Probably should share it on a few other sites.

Yeah - I started that thread on rpg.net :) Please feel free to jump in