PDA

View Full Version : Crushing Prison clarification

shonuff
12-10-2014, 02:46 PM
OK, I want to see if I have the effects straight. We will assume the target fails all checks.

Mage casts Crushing Prison
- target takes 1d6+x damage
- target makes CON (Stamina) test

Round 1:
1. Target takes 2d6+x damage
2. Target makes CON (Stamina) or STR (Might) test

Round 2:
1. Target makes CON (Stamina) or STR (Might) test

Round 3:
1. Target takes 3d6+x damage

Round 4+:
1. Target makes CON (Stamina) or STR (Might) test

Now for the question: should there be damage at the start of Round 2? As it reads currently, I'm not sure if failing the first two tests has the same result or if failing the second test only results in an additional round of immobilization and being open to the third test.

NickMiddleton
12-11-2014, 02:41 AM
I think the sequence is:

Round 1
Mage casts Crushing Prison
- target takes 1d6+x damage
- target makes CON (Stamina) test

Round 2:
IFF Test in round 1 failed 1. Target takes 2d6+x damage

Round 3 :
IFF Test in Round 2 failed 1. Target takes 3d6+x damage
Round 4+:
1. Target makes CON (Stamina) or STR (Might) test to escape

I think the intent is it deals damage every turn for the first three turns a target is "held" (the turn the spell is cast and subsequent two turns); in each of those turns, AFTER the damage is done, the target gets to try to break free. Once they do so, they stop taking damage. Once the damage has peaked at 3D6+x, no further damage is dealt BUT the target remains immobilized until they break free.

cheers,

Nick

shonuff
12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I don't think your interpretation of intent is entirely correct, although I could be mistaken.

First, the initial damage and initial save roll happen when the spell is cast - on the mage's turn. Everything that happens subsequently happen on the target's turns. This may or may not be a big deal, depending on where everyone falls in the initiative order.

Second, the wording seems to be clear that the 3d6 is taken on the turn following the third failed test. The failure of the first failed test is 2d6 damage, and the failure of the third test is 3d6 damage. But there's no consequence for the second failed test, except continued immobilization, unless you extrapolate that the 2d6 damage is received again.

eliastion
12-11-2014, 12:17 PM
RAW it would seem that there is damage in:

- moment of casting: d6+magic
- start of target's 1st round after casting: 2d6+msgic
- start of target's 3rd round after casting: 3d6+magic

Note that the first test is at casting and the supsequent ones - when the target starts its turns. So it could go like that:

Turn 1:
<caster's turn>
- spell is cast
- d6 damage tick
- test #1
<target's turn>
- 2d6 damage tick
- test #2

Turn 2:
- test #3

Turn 3:
- 3d6 damage tick
- test

And that's pretty much the conclusion shonuff had. Depending on initiative order, the <caster's turn> could be in Turn 0 instead (if he had worse initiative than the target).

And it is a bit confusing, especially with that one turn before final tick of damage... Probably the spell has been originally written to damage the target only on his own turn, then it was quickened, but not consistently - and that's why the final tick ended up "stranded" after 3rd instead of 2nd test... I don't know. I would definitely fiddle with this spell so that it deals damage and then stops dealing it, without any strange damage-free turns in the middle.

EDIT:
There is one alternative interpretation. The spell description does not specify when the test to break free can be attempted - most spells say that you can do it "at the beginning of your turn", this one does not. It's an important omission that could be filled differently - breaking free could be an action (as getting from under a werewolf is). This way the damage for 3rd failed test can be avoided altogether for as long as the target doesn't try to break out... Additional crushing would be an effect of (unsuccessfully) struggling against the spell.

shonuff
12-11-2014, 01:25 PM
And it is a bit confusing, especially with that one turn before final tick of damage... Probably the spell has been originally written to damage the target only on his own turn, then it was quickened, but not consistently - and that's why the final tick ended up "stranded" after 3rd instead of 2nd test... I don't know. I would definitely fiddle with this spell so that it deals damage and then stops dealing it, without any strange damage-free turns in the middle.

Yeah, I would consider breaking free to be some sort of action, which it currently isn't. As-is, it's a weird spell. It seems to be meant for mages and rogues, as the damage is regular, but those are the ones most likely to have a ranged attack and not be penalized by the immobilization. Warriors, of course, have armor.

But the spell specifies targets can cast and attack, so it would seem that it could be a minor action.... That would allow the 3d6 damage to occur on the target's second turn (following two unsuccessful saves). Eating a minor action would hinder backstabbing rogues, as well, as they may not have the talents for free reloads.

EDIT:
There is one alternative interpretation. The spell description does not specify when the test to break free can be attempted - most spells say that you can do it "at the beginning of your turn", this one does not. It's an important omission that could be filled differently - breaking free could be an action (as getting from under a werewolf is). This way the damage for 3rd failed test can be avoided altogether for as long as the target doesn't try to break out... Additional crushing would be an effect of (unsuccessfully) struggling against the spell.

That's actually a very interesting idea. The only concern is that it could become nerfed if everyone just waits it out, or boring if you can't do anything.