PDA

View Full Version : Life Steal build? "Reactions" in Hero Lab?

SkyBornDancer
12-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Hi All! I'm new to M&MM, and I'm learning how to use the Hero lab to build characters. It's SO great and much easier than navigating the rulebook. I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to do conditionals.

I have Challenging Build for you to solve.

I would like to build a life "soul draining" melee attack. What steps do I take to create a Damage attack the has the reaction of on success activate self healing? Or better yet, heal amount of damage successfully inflicted?

I would love for the damage to be automatic, but the life stealing to be resistible. So, first the soul stealer has to kill the target, then the target's soul can resist via willpower, and if failed the soul stealer heals.

Lastly, even cooler would be if higher willpower targets granted a better healing effect. So, a harder to defeat willpower adds to healing chance and success rank.

Does this make sense?

FuzzyBoots
12-06-2014, 08:06 AM
The Hero Lab side of things is simple. Just add the necessary Extras and Flaws.

From a mechanics side of things, in 3E, I think you would have to go for Reaction. That would be the +3 Extra, which would boost the cost to +5. Making it able to be resisted by the target is a textbook case of Resistable, a -1 Extra. Arguably, you should be able to apply a Limited flaw to limit it to the lesser of your damage and your rank of Healing. That would take it down to 3 pp / rank. Since the healing is limited to yourself, that could fit for another -1 Flaw which brings us back down to 2 pp/rank.

You might be able to go for Triggered, but you'd have to use a Standard action to prepare it each time, and it would technically be Disarmable due to the basis of Triggered being things like mechanical traps and mystic sigils.

JDRook
12-06-2014, 04:18 PM
I would like to build a life "soul draining" melee attack. What steps do I take to create a Damage attack the has the reaction of on success activate self healing?Or better yet, heal amount of damage successfully inflicted?
There are several ways you could do this, and Reaction is definitely one way to go. Personally, I prefer Reaction or Triggered to be used for reacting to actions taken by others (damage auras, traps etc), while if a power is set off by something you do, it should really be a Linked Effect.

Simplest way would be to Link a Damage effect to Healing limited to Self. Since Damage is much more abstracted in M&M and you can't really "transfer hit points" in any concrete way, I personally think basing the Heal on the Damage inflicted would be unnecessarily complicated. That said, an additional Custom Flaw on Healing could be that you can only ranks of Healing equal to how much the target failed their resistance check. In practice, that would be one die roll to attack, one for the target to resist, and one for the healing based on resistance failure.

I would love for the damage to be automatic, but the life stealing to be resistible. So, first the soul stealer has to kill the target, then the target's soul can resist via willpower, and if failed the soul stealer heals.
By "automatic damage" do you mean without an attack roll? That would be a Perception Range Attack. And killing the target, eh? By design it's harder to kill opponents in M&M unless you're talking about minions or houseruling in some lethality, but let's come back to that. Putting Resistible by Will on the Healing portion of the Linked Effects is simple enough, but it would have to resist vs the rank of the Heal, which means with the other Flaw in place you'd want very powerful finishing moves for the best chance to overcome the Will resistance, which is actually a neat feature. Also, requiring death for the Heal to work at all could be considered yet another Custom Flaw.

Lastly, even cooler would be if higher willpower targets granted a better healing effect. So, a harder to defeat willpower adds to healing chance and success rank. So do you want the Heal rank based on Damage dealt or target's Will? I suppose you could do both, but it gets really weird to figure out, let alone cost out. Picking one or the other would be simpler.

Actually, after thinking about it for a while, you could just throw all that malarkey out the window and do something like this:

Soul Drain: Regeneration 10, Source (Kills) - 5p

That's it. This would allow your PC to heal back one condition (starting with any -1 Toughness penalties) once per round as long as you killed something that round. This is perfect for taking down hordes of minions or other lower level opponents and coming out practically unscathed.

If you still want to get a big heal from taking down major opponents who actually have a decent Will score, you could set up a standalone version of the Healing power with some of the modifiers described above, and make it Triggered by killing an opponent with Will 5+ or something (although you'd technically need a Sense limited to the Trigger to pick up on your opponent's Will score). Fuzzyboots makes a good point with the Trigger being disarmable, but 1 rank of Subtle could make it only visible to those with "Soul Sight" or whatever fits your setting, and the Standard Action to reset it can be considered a ritualistic kata.

Still, it's either going to be expensive or complicated if you do anything beyond that Sourced Regen.