PDA

View Full Version : Would this work as a camera-spoofing power?

Wheeljack
12-02-2014, 12:53 PM
I had an idea for an urban vigilante who was able to pull off the "Just an urban legend" thing with the help of technology... a device that meant she didn't show up on video, cameras and such as a costumed vigilante, but just a random ordinary-looking person (or in the colors/getup of a rival gang). So when she busts up some criminal operation and takes their money/burns the product, there won't be any physical evidence it was a masked hero, so the logical conclusion is it's just criminals making up a story to cover their butts.

The power I thought would work would be: Morph 2 (close human forms) Only Affects Machines. So people who aren't using a camera wouldn't notice anything at all when the power is in effect... I don't think that'd need an extra of any sort.

FuzzyBoots
12-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Seems reasonable to me. If the idea is specifically that he looks generic rather than a specific generic image, you might look into the 2E Skill Challenge, "Face in a Crowd":

You can craft a disguise that is less likely to draw attention. Only people who specifically single you out and try to notice your deception receive Notice checks to do so. Guards and other passive observers take no special notice of you unless you draw attention to yourself or interact directly with them.
Doing this incurs a -5 penalty to disguise efforts. 2E allowed taking a Feat (an Advantage in 3E terms) to obviate the penalty.

Note that Morph does still require a Disguise check, although many GMs will be fine with Taking 10 on it in most cases.

JDRook
12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
You could arguably do the same thing with Concealment - Limited to Machines, and if it's only for visual evidence it would cost half as much as your Morph. The generic face could be a Quirk, the same cost as Noticeable, so it would be obvious that someone was on camera, but not a costumed hero.

The only advantage I can see to using Morph would be allowing you a specific range of generic "looks" that you would prepare before going into the area where you'll be observed, which could definitely be useful.

Wheeljack
12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
On a related note, does the Morph deception skill bonus get affected by power level caps or is it separate?

Batgirl III
12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
On a related note, does the Morph deception skill bonus get affected by power level caps or is it separate?

It is explicitly stated to be a circumstance bonus.