PDA

View Full Version : Mining the forums for World Martial Arts Tournie campaign ideas.

GreenDragon
11-23-2014, 07:32 PM
So I'm using a custom setting idea that takes from Street Fighter, Feng Shui RPG (minus time traveling), Fatal Fury, Final Fight, Tekken, and Dragon Ball (not so much Z). I like the eastern/kungfu/Chi/martial arts genre and I find that the M&M 3rd Edition system can work really well for it, especially with all of the esoteric martial art powers. I want PL8 for the PCs, since street/crime fighting power level best suits the tone I'm going for.

I'm looking for ways to run a Tourniment-centered game that isnt just plain combat after combat. What ways would you use to make it more interesting between/before/after the Tournie fights? What kind of In-The-Shadows plot would you use? I have some ideas, but I would like to gather other ideas that I probably wouldn't have thought of by myself, which brings me here. The setting is earth 1985, where there is a secret wulin society of mystics and martial artists that influence the world in a secret war of pride, glory, power, and vengeance.

FuzzyBoots
11-24-2014, 04:23 PM
TattooedMan ran an interesting one named Way of the Fist (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34699). There was some intrigue at the beginning as competitors tried to eliminate us prior to the tournament. The battles themselves had a variety of different arenas with interesting battleground conditions. And then, the winners of the tournament got to face off against a dragon to save the world. :) Good times.

kariggi
11-25-2014, 11:06 AM
So off the cuff, random stuff:

Character are agents, sent to infiltrate the fighting league, either of the same group or of varied groups with similar agendas.
(drug ring, human trafficking, weapons dealing, artifact smuggling)

They could also be looking for an individual or individuals associated with the fighting league who must be; stopped, terminated, questioned, brought to justice.
(criminal, alien, dragon, mage, demon, amnesiac - relative, hero, witness)

They could be using the fighting league as cover to travel to and into various locations to achieve a series of goals associated with a single agenda.

They could be working with the fighting league to route out "bad apples" or identify agents sent to destroy the league.

I like the fighting my way up to something like the dragon above - yay save the world. You could be working against others who wanted to knock out fighters, through subtle or less subtle means, who would actual defend the world or win the fight against the dragon(great enemy).

Each battle site could be a contested location, the victor gaining control over the location whether a simple burro, city, county, or an entire realm.

dream
11-25-2014, 05:53 PM
So off the cuff, random stuff:

Character are agents, sent to infiltrate the fighting league, either of the same group or of varied groups with similar agendas.
(drug ring, human trafficking, weapons dealing, artifact smuggling)

They could also be looking for an individual or individuals associated with the fighting league who must be; stopped, terminated, questioned, brought to justice.
(criminal, alien, dragon, mage, demon, amnesiac - relative, hero, witness)

They could be using the fighting league as cover to travel to and into various locations to achieve a series of goals associated with a single agenda.

They could be working with the fighting league to route out "bad apples" or identify agents sent to destroy the league.

I like the fighting my way up to something like the dragon above - yay save the world. You could be working against others who wanted to knock out fighters, through subtle or less subtle means, who would actual defend the world or win the fight against the dragon(great enemy).

Each battle site could be a contested location, the victor gaining control over the location whether a simple burro, city, county, or an entire realm.

This here +1.

Give the contests reason. 3 levels; you win the contest, you defeat a rival, you make your fighting style more impressive to people in the region. You grow on a few levels, rather than some meaningless fight.