PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun in M&M

Vynn
11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Any GM's out there think they could run a Shadowrun like game? I know what everyone might be thinking- "Why not just play Shadowrun?" Well, because I don't want to play Shadowrun, I want to play in Shadowrun styled game using the M&M rules.

Triskavanski
11-13-2014, 06:41 PM
It could be fun actually.

Vynn
11-14-2014, 07:29 AM
That's what I thought, the majority of the game setting would just be backdrop, slang, terminology, even class builds could be based around The Shadowrun Universe. I always thought it was an intriguing game setting, in the future with Advanced Technology, cyber implants, Virtual Reality Internet and Augmented Reality, coupled with fantasy based races and sorcery, druid and shamanistic magic. I think it would be a lot of fun to play in that setting.

Plan B
11-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I'd be interested playing, but not running.

Also interested how people would deal with AR, and the matrix in this system.

Nevius
11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Now are you thinking of the specifics of the Shadowrun universe, or more a cyber-punk with magic type setting for a M&M game?

catsi563
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Not sure id be up to running giving im juggling 3 right now but id be interested in playing if one came up.

Vynn
11-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Now are you thinking of the specifics of the Shadowrun universe, or more a cyber-punk with magic type setting for a M&M game?

As close to authentic as possible. Down to the dragon president.

@plan b
Id guess that the ar system would be a created sense type. Kind of like an astral realm.

Collider
11-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I have always loved the Shadowrun universe and would love to play a game like it in M&M to see how it functions. There are a lot of things in SR that could translate pretty easily, I just worry that everyone would have some kind of magic in this version because of the way that powers are set up in M&M. All that being said, if there is ever a game getting set to run, I would be happy to join and see where it went!

Plan B
11-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Another question is when in the timeline would you set it.

Sidenote i'd rehash my ork P.I

Crazyivan777
11-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Put me down as someone interested in playing (but not familiar enough with the details of the world to even begin thinking of running it!)

Corrigon
11-17-2014, 05:04 AM
If nothing else, it would make being able to mix types of characters easier, though there should be a caveat that if you have cyberware, to be very limited at magic or major complications

kenmadragon
11-17-2014, 05:38 AM
I'd be interested in running something like this, but don't mark me down as definite just yet. Just saying I'd be interested.

Vynn
11-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Another question is when in the timeline would you set it.

Sidenote i'd rehash my ork P.I

Specifically I wouldn't know. I would hope whomever decides to run the game would pick that out, I don't have a storyline set I just want this universe. My familiarity for the entire world is limited so I wouldn't be the best person to say. But I've got a big interest in playing the setting.

Vynn
11-21-2014, 06:36 AM
I was thinking that the starting mission could involve the assembled Runners getting paired together for a job from a Johnson. None of them would know each other except by reputation. Some big score that goes horribly wrong, maybe the Johnson double crosses the Runners instead of paying them, maybe whatever it was the Runners were hired to do, they would have to undo for some reason. just throwing out ideas.

Collider
11-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Oddly, I actually do have a workable mission that I could run, but I have far more experience with the Shadowrun game system than I am with M&M, so if there is someone that wants to run the mission and has the familiarity with M&M and time to run it, I would be happy to PM you the mission setting and step by step breakdown of it.

Vynn
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
So we have a potential GM for the game in Kenmadragon, and a potential first session via Collider. I guess it's time I brush off my Rigger/Bounty Hunter and get him ready.

Nevius
11-21-2014, 11:54 AM
I've got a gunslinger Adept I'm dying to play. Are we thinking SR 5e flavor mixed with 3e M&M?

kenmadragon
11-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Oddly, I actually do have a workable mission that I could run, but I have far more experience with the Shadowrun game system than I am with M&M, so if there is someone that wants to run the mission and has the familiarity with M&M and time to run it, I would be happy to PM you the mission setting and step by step breakdown of it.

As mentioned, yeah, I'm likely gonna GM this. And while a pre-made mission for the Shadowrun universe would be certainly welcome, you realize that given you have intimate knowledge of the mission, either you wouldn't be chosen to play in the mission or we'll simply be running a different mission.

So we have a potential GM for the game in Kenmadragon, and a potential first session via Collider. I guess it's time I brush off my Rigger/Bounty Hunter and get him ready.

Don't start rolling up characters just yet. Dust off those character concepts and hold 'em tight, but I'm still mulling over how to approach this and what the setting will be like. I won't be ready to GM for another month or so once all my RL stuff is in order.

I've got a gunslinger Adept I'm dying to play. Are we thinking SR 5e flavor mixed with 3e M&M?

It'll be SR 5 in terms of continuity, but given that I don't know the Shadowrun setting completely (as in, I know a lot, but not all of it), I warn you that there will be a few inconsistencies in the details. Some of which are intentional (some stylistic choices, some to make things gel better in M&M) and some unintentional (which will generally be setting details. Like I could get dates wrong, or similar). In all cases, Rule 0 would apply.

Spectrum
11-21-2014, 05:06 PM
So, you'd be moving away from the lighter, more post-cyberpunk 4th and going back to the let's be eeeevil because we can and it's daaaaark and gritty of 5th?

Triskavanski
11-21-2014, 05:58 PM
I have no idea what that means..

But anycase.. I think I'd be making either a technomancer or magic man guy.

Collider
11-21-2014, 07:31 PM
I would absolutely bow out of running in the mission in favor of helping it along. Once it is up and running and another run is planned I can jump a character in if I have the time and keep track of it as well as I should :P It'll be a little bit before I can get all my notes together and send you the basics of the run. The game I had made was originally set in 3e as that is what I was playing at the time (to date myself and the game a bit) but I am pretty confident that it can be adapted pretty easily to any edition and hopefully will translate over to M&M pretty well also.

Vynn
11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Just so we dont accidently double up on character concepts. I plan to build a drone using rigger. He will have cyber enhancements and be able to interface and control the drones and his vehicle mentally. The drones will act as scouts: healers, hackers, and combat allies. The vehicle will be a tricked out van and possibly an aircraft or boat. Was asked not to post the actual sheet yet. So just throwing out my initial idea.

Triskavanski
11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
My character would be something of a Mystic Adept, a Phantom Thief type character who specializes in slight of hand and spectacular thievery. Typically in the shadowrun group, he's a bit of a trouble maker for both sides, but serves as a distraction/face more than anything else. Tends to use more less lethal methods of dealing with his foes.

Vynn
12-01-2014, 07:08 AM
In anticipation for the upcoming game, I thought it would be a good idea to help out some players who might not be familiar with the Shadowrun setting, just to create a more authentic kind of game setting, the following is a link to a website that has a bunch of Shadowrun terminology, and even how to properly use them in sentences. This should help folks coming from a pure M&M back ground.

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-resources/slang-guidebook/

Crazyivan777
12-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Hm. Just posting to show continued interest. Question- hackers. Do they exist? (I ask not in a 'do they exist in the world' way, but in a 'do they exist in game' way- I know that a remote hacker can sometimes drag a game downward, but I've always loved the 'Oracle' character in the Batmanverse....)
If not a hacker, I may go a gun bunny type.

Plan B
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Do we have any sign of a Gm or PL?

Vynn
12-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Do we have any sign of a Gm or PL?

Kenmadragon said he'd Run it, but it's going to be starting up at a point down the road, A month out was the time frame. No PL announced yet, I built my character for PL 12

Vynn
12-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Any thought on when the game might be coming about? Sound off if still interested please.

Spectrum
12-12-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm curious but I'm not able to commit to anything before year's end.

Also, the type of Shadowrun campaign hasn't been discussed yet. I'd be very interested in a media campaign. What do you folks want?

kenmadragon
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm collecting together various notes and running through simulations of some House Rules I'm thinking of implementing. But as most of you know, the Holidays can be both jam packed with business, or filled with slow, lazy days. That and next week is finals week for me, so busy times!

I'll have an official Recruitment thread created a few days after New Year's when I have all my thoughts together, and have finished compiling a list of house rules to allow M&M to mimic some of the finer details of Shadowrun. Also know that while I'm not a de facto expert on the setting (far from it), the game will not follow the canon history or plot exactly. There were be minor divergences everywhere - simply to make it easier to run in M&M and to suit the style of game I wish to run with Shadowrun.

It won't be a grimdark setting. Sure, there will be some... mature instances and some stuff that may be a little graphic, but the idea is that the game will not be completely dark, nor will it be completely grim. There will be a tendency to grit, and a strong proclivity to have hope. Unless you've completely frakked up, in which case you're hosed, omae. No two shakes about that.

Oh and Vynn? I laughed when I saw your PL suggestion. I haven't decided on it, but currently leaning to PL 6 or 7 with a soft cap of 4 (maybe 5) if you do not have specific cybernetics or magic. This is a street level game, not the cast of the Avengers...

You will be new-ish runners. You've got some experience on the streets, and should be able to handle yourselves somewhat decently. You're not prime runners, but you're not trash either. It should also be of note that this game will assume that for whatever reason, your old run team's not "together" anymore. First run is going to be the first run of your new team. And if you lot survive that, well... we'll see what happens next.

Yes, Lethality rules will be implemented. Very much so. So play it smart, chum, or you're liable to find what's left of you bleedin' out in the gutters of these streets.

Oh, and if any of you are curious: Yes, you will be assigned PP and PL based on your concepts. Not all characters will be equal in that regard... This is to remind you all that there is indeed a pecking order when it comes to character concepts in Shadowrun - your faces don't exactly have the PL of a street sam. However, all character will be considered equal in all other regards. Just because you've got a different PP total or PL than another player, know that I "hate" you all equally* - unless you give me a reason to hate you more.

*In this case, me "hating you all equally" means I will be trying to give you all an equally challenging time, and will be rather equal oppurtunity in ensuring that all characters have to deal with some stress in some form.

So yeah. Quite a few rule changes (some social advantages will work differently), a couple pre-generated templates for the various metatypes out there, and a couple additional rules: At the current point, I've got rules in mind for Lethality, Decking, Cyberware, Technomancy (remember, RARE), and rules for Magicians - both Shaman and Hermetic - to boot.

In the next few weeks, I will be creating threads around the boards to house the house rules, and kindly ask that when they do come up, please don't post in them till I have given permission to do so.

kenmadragon
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Also, the type of Shadowrun campaign hasn't been discussed yet. I'd be very interested in a media campaign. What do you folks want?

Curious: What do you mean by "media campaign"?

My plan was to run something in the action-thriller vein with a criminal edge to it. And given the system's tendencies towards the heroic, there will also be some philosophical overtones I guess, and quite a few tough decisions to make. I like to reward good Roleplaying in my games - whether you do the right thing or not.

It's why I'm on the fence of renaming Hero Points "Edge"...

Plan B
12-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Oh and Vynn? I laughed when I saw your PL suggestion. I haven't decided on it, but currently leaning to PL 6 or 7 with a soft cap of 4 (maybe 5) if you do not have specific cybernetics or magic. This is a street level game, not the cast of the Avengers...

Troll with a combat axe is a serious contender for PL 8-10 with minimal fuss.

And PL 6 is trash.

kenmadragon
12-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Troll with a combat axe is a serious contender for PL 8-10 with minimal fuss.

And PL 6 is trash.

Trolls in SR4 could get a max of Str 15 (in SR terms) if they used a lot of cyberware specifically for enhancing Strength. In M&M 3e terms, that level of strength is actually around Strength 4 or 5. Combat Axes are, what? Strength based Damage 3? Maybe 4, given that it's sized for a troll. Damage 8 to 9 in the end. I see absolutely no problem with this being a PL 6 individual. Especially given that the troll is likely to be using all-out-attack (as the maneuver) - advantage or no - and thus still liable to cut people down with effective ease.

I see very minimal fuss here, nor do I see trash. Well, except for the dead ganger that this cybered up troll with a combat axe just decapitated with the same damage rank as say, I dunno *glances at Fire Ranks table in the DHH* some napalm, or some burning jet fuel. You know, if that troll wasn't Power Attacking. Cause he can do that. You know, that PL 6 Chromed Troll with a Combat Axe you just called trash...

A single increase in rank or level in M&M is an exponential growth from the prior. Because of this, I've been leaning towards PL 4-6 since that's around the PL most starting new-ish runners will be at.

But this isn't definite. So I'll take your opinions under advisement, Plan B, though please, if you have a critique, you could be a little less... "crass" is the only word that came to mind, and actually explain why you think the way you do. It's irksome, otherwise.

If you have an explanation, save it for after New Year's, when I've revealed more definite detail about the game (which might influence aspects of your argument, or negate them), because none of what I say now is truly definite at this point, and arguing about it now would be an impediment.

Plan B
12-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Trolls in SR4 could get a max of Str 15 (in SR terms) if they used a lot of cyberware specifically for enhancing Strength. In M&M 3e terms, that level of strength is actually around Strength 4 or 5. Combat Axes are, what? Strength based Damage 3? Maybe 4, given that it's sized for a troll. Damage 8 to 9 in the end. I see absolutely no problem with this being a PL 6 individual. Especially given that the troll is likely to be using all-out-attack (as the maneuver) - advantage or no - and thus still liable to cut people down with effective ease.

I see very minimal fuss here, nor do I see trash. Well, except for the dead ganger that this cybered up troll with a combat axe just decapitated with the same damage rank as say, I dunno *glances at Fire Ranks table in the DHH* some napalm, or some burning jet fuel. You know, if that troll wasn't Power Attacking. Cause he can do that. You know, that PL 6 Chromed Troll with a Combat Axe you just called trash...

A single increase in rank or level in M&M is an exponential growth from the prior. Because of this, I've been leaning towards PL 4-6 since that's around the PL most starting new-ish runners will be at.

But this isn't definite. So I'll take your opinions under advisement, Plan B, though please, if you have a critique, you could be a little less... "crass" is the only word that came to mind, and actually explain why you think the way you do. It's irksome, otherwise.

If you have an explanation, save it for after New Year's, when I've revealed more definite detail about the game (which might influence aspects of your argument, or negate them), because none of what I say now is truly definite at this point, and arguing about it now would be an impediment.

I was using your words, bud.

I disagree with you assessment on strength mostly because i've played high strength shadowrun characters, that punched though brick walls, threw motorcycles, and hit almost as hard as a rocket launcher with their fists (wasn't even an adept, and lacked pen so there is that). Orks and trolls with a bit of cyberware are eyeballing strength 6-8.

Starting characters in shadowrun are highly specialized (or have at every table i've been), and damn sight more powerful than the normal "starting" of most other rpgs.

Spectrum
12-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Curious: What do you mean by "media campaign"?

My plan was to run something in the action-thriller vein with a criminal edge to it. And given the system's tendencies towards the heroic, there will also be some philosophical overtones I guess, and quite a few tough decisions to make. I like to reward good Roleplaying in my games - whether you do the right thing or not.

It's why I'm on the fence of renaming Hero Points "Edge"...

The two ideas aren't strictly mutually exclusive. I'd love to play in a game that has a quest for a higher ideal to it, exposing corruption or in another way making our tiny section of the world a better place. Shadowrun/Cyberpunk is too often played as mo' money, mo' money, mo' money.

Dark Angel is a great example of what I'm looking for.

Vynn
12-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Alright, so I'll be toning down my Rigger it seems.

And keep in mind He will be using Cyberware of some variety, may have to overhaul him when I see the house rules.

Triskavanski
12-15-2014, 05:59 AM
your faces don't exactly have the PL of a street sam

Not exactly true. A face could have a PL on par with a street sam, just their focus is completely different from a Sam. Lowering their PL because they can't punch through brick walls like a Street sam, pretty much can end up making their social capabilities around the same as a street sam.

Also there is a few different things of magic other than just shaman and hermetic too. I'm often a practitioner of Chaos magic for example with my mystic adept thief.

I'm not sure why you specifically calling out Technomancers as rare either. Just seems a little odd to me to do that really. I mean i know they're rare, but my character is even rarer, as their is only one of them.

Vynn
12-11-2015, 03:34 AM
Wow, just had to comment that this thread died nearly a year ago today.

Awfulmonk
12-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Not at all interested but I was just invited to play my first shadow run game (5e) any place I could find materials online to help me?