PDA

View Full Version : Changing Status

Wontkins
11-07-2014, 10:34 PM
How do you handle changing titles in game?

Let's say you're playing the pre-generated character Squire Jonah, who has a backstory saying she's really a highborn lady. The Status 3 that came pre-baked in, is that her Status as a Squire or as a lady? Or is it the same? If in-game she suddenly decided to give up being a squire and reclaim her place as a lady, would her Status shoot up, or would you need to invest xp to increase that ability? And if her family died and she became head of house, wouldn't her Status shoot up again? If she married the King? What if all those things happened in one day but Jonah had no xp to invest into Status?

Wouldn't it be wrong of the GM to forcibly alter PC's abilities based on circumstances of the adventure? For instance, if the group was kidnapped and sold into slavery I wouldn't make everyone reduce their Status to 0, even though a slave naturally has a Status of 0. The highborn PCs should be able to Intrigue their way out of the situation. But if I wanted to play a character who was a slave, I would put 0 for Status at character creation.

Every time I think I have this thing figured out another exception comes up.

Aedorei
11-08-2014, 12:25 AM
First of all, it matters whether the character is an NPC or a PC. If this character is a PC, then Status only raises based on the experience the player spends to increase it. Narratively, circumstances don't matter. If a PC is a Lord with a status of 4 that suddenly decides to chuck it all and become a sheepherder, he will be a very well respected sheep herder. A sheepherder that suddenly becomes a Lord does not get free status, they have to earn it.

However narrators are well within their rights to assign benefits and flaws as they see fit. The same Lord that gets sent to the Wall would be assigned the Benefit Brother of the Night Watch (and the -2D to Status that goes with it.) If the PC goes in and slaughters an orphanage, the player shouldn't be too surprised if the narrator pins them with Reviled.

If someone became a slave, I might assign them the Wretched Flaw while they are enslaved, but their existing status would not change. However, even if their status is a 7, that doesn't change their circumstance. Unless they have a good Persuasion/Deception behind them, the high status individual can try to intrigue all they want. On their opponents initiative they switch to combat and beat the guy unconscious. Rince, repeat till he does what he is told.

As the heir to Pike, Theon Greyjoy has a 6 Status. It didn't help him.

Harlath
11-08-2014, 02:29 AM
I usually use temporary benefits to tweak Status for the situation as Aedorei helpfully suggested.

A change in station normally just allows you to spend more XP on status, but I tend to give out bonus XP that can only be used on Status for a particularly dramatic change in Status, enough to account for some of but not all of the increase in status. For example, a PC who was a Status 4 heir and become a lord with a maximum status of 6 might get anything from 10-30XP to spend on Status (depending on in-play goals, downtime etc). This will be enough to buy part of/a full rank of status (reflecting his increased station) but not all of it - he'll need to spend time learning his new role and before other accept him in it.

I find the above works well, but I often give out XP tied to specific attributes or groups of attributes.

Aedorei
11-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I find the above works well, but I often give out XP tied to specific attributes or groups of attributes.

I am not sure I understand this. Do you mean when you give out XP you tell your players what they have to spend it on?

Harlath
11-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I am not sure I understand this. Do you mean when you give out XP you tell your players what they have to spend it on?

More that through role-play they'll unlock training opportunities in downtime (sometimes with a few attribute tests e.g. character devoting himself to the tourney circuit for a few months), and can earn themselves bonus XP to spend on specific attributes/groups of attributes. That way it's a player directed but small reward and results in more organic character growth.