PDA

View Full Version : [3e IC] Neotropolis Tales: Director's Cut



Pages : [1] 2

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 02:02 PM
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.
You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.


A creature of multicolored coherent light looks up from a computer screen and smiles towards the audience, "Hello there and welcome to Neotropolis Tales, a collection of short stories further enriching the campaign world. It is a collection of tales that do not fit into the rest of the campaign, explorations that would interrupt the flow or be outside the context. Think of it as a Director's Cut. I hope that you enjoy."

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Jiao-long


Picking up from this pos (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1014-Neotropolis-Ch-1-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!?p=43268&viewfull=1#post43268)t

"OH MY GOD YES! Jiao I could hug you!" He looked rather uncomfortable at that, not wanting the young woman to think that he had procured the tickets for ulterior motives. "I, errr, you are welcome. Though there is a favor you could do for me." She noticed the change in his demeanor, though was still overjoyed at his gift, "Yes, anything!" "Well, Uncle Wei has received the contract to cater the talks, and with things between Mia's brother and Uncle Wei at the moment we are a little short staffed, do you think between yourself and Emma you could find some students who would like to make some money to assist in catering." He winked at her, "Maybe your boyfriend?"

Ariel blushes prettily, coloring coming to her soft white skin, suddenly finding her hands fascinating, "I don't have a boyfriend either." she carefully clears her voice, looking back up, her loose blonde hair bouncing, "Sure! I'll ask around." she reaches for her phone, her fingers nimbly dancing over the screen, her lips moving as she considers her options, "Are you looking for anything in particular, or just able bodies that aren't already attending the GoT?" She grins, her entire face lighting up, the sun shining, "Did I say thank you already? If not, than thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so cool. I'll have to tell Emma though.." a mix of emotions washing through her as she starts to thoughtfully nibble on her lower lip. So rude and yet.. so cute.

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Gizmo Girl


Picking up from here (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1014-Neotropolis-Ch-1-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!?p=42813&viewfull=1#post42813).

She couldn't help it if she was inquisitive, Dr. Primen was one of the few people who could keep up if not exceed her in scientific discussions and intellectual conversation. Plus she had never treated her like a blonde bimbo simply because of her looks, but like a respected equal. Her family had known the good doctor for years and it was so exciting to finally be in one of her classes. She even felt like taking actual notes instead of just relying on her eidetic memory for once.

As things wrapped up and the other students began to leave, Cindy finally saw her chance. "Dr. Primen, I was wondering if I could discuss a scientific matter with you? Preferably in private."

Dr. Primen smiles back a she carefully puts away the laptop that she uses for demonstrations. "I have a little while until I need to get ready for my next class Ms. Cormick." with a wince, she carefully rubs over her hands, trying to get the flow to start again, "What's on your mind? Or should we wait until we get back to my office?"

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Samaritan
Time: 'puberty'

While doing homework, a knock on the door. Your mom presses the door open, not having learned the Lesson about teenage sons and suddenly opening doors yet, "Dex, Waheed is on the phone." she offers over the 'old fashioned' wireless handset impatiently, though there is humor in her eyes. "Don't stay on the phone too long, dinners in about twenty minutes." The scent of a pot roast dangles upon the breath, so mouth watering. She said something about trying out a new desert recipe too, being very secretive about the details.

You've been looking forward to the sleep over at Waheed's for a while. Yeah, hanging out after school is one thing, but this will be an entire weekend of hanging out and doing guy stuff. Whatever guy stuff is, this is the weekend that you two are going to figure that out. While his family (the Patels) is a little old school, they're still cool as long as you keep an eye on your manners.

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 03:14 PM
The Shrike (Thomas Burge)
Time: Last year

You've been hunting this Babel guy for a while now, off and on for a few months. Babel wasn't interested in getting caught and was willing to keep things quiet in order to throw the dogs off his tracks. This was going to be one of those big catches too, one that will finally make your name. It's this kind of job though that your skills tend suffer at too. Yeah, kicking down doors and snapping cuffs on people is easy. Sometimes painful but in the end easy. You're good at it. Much more difficult though is playing the long investigative game. That describes the situation pretty well and you've been forced to play the game that Babel wants to play rather than getting it onto your ground.

Finally, an emailed response through your internal internet connection rather than your secured laptop..damn, the guy was good. "Tinman- verify request for upgrades."

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Grant Summers
Time: Several years ago
Location: another city; Leftys (sic), a dive bar

Leftys is one of those bars that normal people don't stay for a drink. You also didn't stay if you were looking to get right with the law. The clientele was pretty particular about the list of topics too: how bad the beer is, how nasty the bathrooms are and hustling pool. The guy behind the bar is Lefty, on account of the side of the face he still has. Ugly cuss, uuuuuuugly, the kind of guy that managed to fall down world's tallest ugly tree, hitting every branch down and then climbed up again to f- it up.

It was also a place that the clientele went to hear friend of a friend type rumors, never any incriminating details, but if you listened, you could start putting together, maybe get some money going your way. It's been slow lately, always room for business, but not always the potential for something more than putting a roach infested over your heard for another night.

The weather outside hasn't been particularly good lately either. Hot, greasy rain falling from the skies- the angels pissing on the sinners down below.

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Katherine "Kate" Ory
Time: year -1 or -2
Location: Las Vegas, Initech

You're on site for one of the biggest tech conferences of the year, looking for The story. Lots of meh, a few choice bits of appealing (that everyone else is going to report on) but nothing so far that really shines as a game breaker, the article that will really put you over the top. Lots of friendly faces, more than a few desperate ones.. and yeah, there's the guys that really should learn that its okay to rule the world from their mama's basements. Along with the booth babes, a few kreative types have decided to bring out booth studs, equal opportunity fan service- not that any of them really need to do anything more than look pretty.

Lots of opportunities to learn how this or that team will Change the world, lots of places that you can end up wasting time on and not getting anywhere and not much time to get the Story. What's it going to be?

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Detective Chris Everett
Place: Neotropolis PD Headquarters
Time: Now
Cast: SPECIAL- One slot. First refusal goes to my current players (show interest in the ooc thread). If you are reading this and NOT one of my players, PM with interest. This has the potential of being a recurring role.

Detective Everett was good at his job, very good at his job. He had risen in the ranks through dedication, hard work and he'd admit it, a bit of luck in breakthroughs coming through at the right time. He'd even risen to that awkward position of being an experienced mentor while trying to not get promoted to a deskjob.

Only in police dramas do officers have the opportunity to concentrate on a single case at a time. Even rarer are things wrapped in a tidy bow in 45 minutes. In reality, things aren't so clean. Neotropolis was one of the safest places in the world. The people here were basically good, law abiding citizens, even if most of them didn't exactly see the world around them with normal eyes. No, the crimes here were 'special' to go along with the population, often very complex and more often than not outside the realm of law. So many edge cases made it very difficult to investigate and prosecute.

Florres had been working on one such case when she went on maternity (paternity?) leave. She had her wife Jenny just had their first child, a daughter. Everett knew that Florres was going to be in trouble. It was hard being a cop and being married, even harder when there was a little one. Though he respected whatever decision came, it would be a loss of a good cop if it came down that way.

A little shake of his head and Everette looked back over the file. It was a murder with a twist. Why did there always have to be a twist? A woman in her early 20s had been left in an alley. She was pretty, nude and all hair (red?) had been removed across her entire body. A thick transparent gel had left residue across every inch of her. Cause of death was suffocation- the gel was in her lungs too. Florres had been waiting for tox screening and she had notes about a list of witnesses. So far, the media wasn't causing a panic but it was a matter of time.

To make things even more complex, the University was having one of their big meetings this coming Friday. His team had been invited to help provide security.

Will the wonders never cease?

CaptainChaos
11-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Kate Ory, intrepid reporter

Kate wandered around the convention center feeling bored and frustrated. So far nothing had captured her attention at Initech, one of the largest tech shows in North America. Sure the industry giants were here showing off their latest and greatest gadgets and all the other reporters were falling all over themselves reporting every word they said. Kate wanted no part of that. She was after the type of tech that slid under the radar. The kind no one paid attention to until it became newsworthy. Last year some guy was touting a bulletproof cellphone case. No one, not even herself, had paid much attention to the product. It was very exoensive and wasn't practical for the masses. That had proven to be a huge mistake. Some foreign Prince had purchased one at the absurd cost of $1,000. It ended up being one of the best investments he had ever made when a disgruntled citizen tried to assassinate him. After that incident made the news the world over, the inventor became an instant billionaire.

At all the shows after that, every oddball tech item made the news in the hope it would be the next big thing and some reporter or news channel could brag they reported on it first. The problem with that approach is that a lot of junk items get reported on.

Kate had seen a few potential hits but nothing she felt would be big. They would be modest successes to be sure but not the next big thing. Then something caught her eye. A small booth over in a corner. A young woman the sole occupant. Kate got a tingling feeling on the back of her neck. She smiled as she walked casually towards the exhibition. As she got closer, she noted the woman was wearing unusual glasses.

"Hi! I'm Kate. Mind if I ask you a few questions? Are those a new version of Google Glass?"

"Oh, um, no, not really. Don't feel bad though. That's what everyone thinks. Actually they allow the user to see the difference in heat signatures."

Spectrum
11-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Kate Ory

Sometimes all it takes to attract interest in a booth is a single person already showing interest. After all, that person might just know something about the booth that you don't and well that wouldn't do at all, would it?

The young woman gulps, her eyes widening, made even larger by the lenses, "Yes! No!" she squeaks, "I.." she quickly pulls the glasses off and thrusts them towards you, "Here, please put these on." her eyes flutter a she tries to refocus, "Please let them know what it's like to wear them? Light weight and easy to wear. We also put in some image clarification algorithms to make the images more distinct." she quickly slips into another pair of glasses that could, in other circumstances, be considered military style BC glasses, thick black and clunky.

Psistrike
11-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Gizmo Girl



She couldn't help it if she was inquisitive, Dr. Primen was one of the few people who could keep up if not exceed her in scientific discussions and intellectual conversation. Plus she had never treated her like a blonde bimbo simply because of her looks, but like a respected equal. Her family had known the good doctor for years and it was so exciting to finally be in one of her classes. She even felt like taking actual notes instead of just relying on her eidetic memory for once.

As things wrapped up and the other students began to leave, Cindy finally saw her chance. "Dr. Primen, I was wondering if I could discuss a scientific matter with you? Preferably in private."

Dr. Primen smilesback a she carefully puts away the laptop that she uses for demonstrations. "I have a little while until I need to get ready for my next class Ms. Cormick." with a wince, she carefully rubs over her hands, trying to get the flow to start again, "What's on your mind? Or should we wait until we get back to my office?"

"Thanks for your time, I would prefer to discuss this in your office. It is...a private matter" Cindy said, nervous about someone listening in and figuring out her secret. She had enough new people in her life who knew she was Gizmo Girl, too many more and she might as well go public.

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen nods, a thoughtful smile. It takes a moment to pack up her things into her rolled carryall before going being off on her way to the office.

"Are you having any problems getting tickets to the Glimpse on Friday? I've heard that some silly old biddy is going to yammer on for hours."

CaptainChaos
11-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Kate Ory, intrepid reporter


Kate Ory

Sometimes all it takes to attract interest in a booth is a single person already showing interest. After all, that person might just know something about the booth that you don't and well that wouldn't do at all, would it?

The young woman gulps, her eyes widening, made even larger by the lenses, "Yes! No!" she squeaks, "I.." she quickly pulls the glasses off and thrusts them towards you, "Here, please put these on." her eyes flutter a she tries to refocus, "Please let them know what it's like to wear them? Light weight and easy to wear. We also put in some image clarification algorithms to make the images more distinct." she quickly slips into another pair of glasses that could, in other circumstances, be considered military style BC glasses, thick black and clunky.

"Thanks." she replied as she accepted the glasses.

Kate looked them over for a moment. At first glance they looked like nothing more than some sort of safety glasses. Clearly, based on the girl's reaction when she removed them, they were much more than that. What other properties did they possess? Kate slipped them on and was temporarily disoriented. Within seconds the glasses adjusted, giving her clear vision. Better than clear vision actually. As she looked around the room, it was if everything was crystal clear, the colors were sharper and brighter, and details more noticeable.

"Did you create these or are you a model?" she asked the girl, hoping flattery would encourage the girl to open up about what these glasses could do.

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Celestial

The girl blushes prettily, "No, not the model. I couldn't be a model. My father and I invented them. We're hoping to get together the money for further research and to move on to the next step in the process."

It takes a moment to figure out what the 'trick' of the glasses is. The thermographic properties are decent but not stellar. It's nothing significantly from the other color spectrum that you've seen in too many other models. No, the charm is in the image resolution software. The clarity is amazing, there also seems to be some kind of tele/microscopic processing there as things move into and out of focus.

Looking around the room, a few odd shapes come into focus- firearms? In a civillian tech conference? Very odd.

kenmadragon
11-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1 Cond: Homework

Why in the world was it important to know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? And the differences in that value (and in general) between the African and the European swallow?

Honestly, science teachers are weird. No joke.

Still, Linda Lancaster knew just how to get her son's attention when she wanted to - by simply entering his room without warning while he's trying to wrap his head around the concepts and ideas that adults seemed to understand oh-so easily. And let's not get started on why the heck English teachers wanted kids to draw artwork to "amplify the poetry" they were writing for class. And Mom and Dad would always tell him he would understand when he was older. Well, he was 14! He was an 8th grader, and in about a month, he'd be done with middle school and off to high school! Bold new horizons!

Anyways. Dexter jumped as his mother surprised him with the phone. Muttering a "Thanks Mom" softly, the teen took the proffered handset and cradled it in his neck as he cleared some of his homework away to talk.

"Hello?" he said into the phone. "Waheed? What's up?"


I just have to say that Waheed Patel is one of the strangest names I've ever seen... The first name is Arabic, and the last name is a common one in Hindi. It's a mix of a Muslim first name and a Hindu last name. A Hindu family that would name their kid something Arabic is not as common as you would think. Old school, that is not.

Praetorian Guard
11-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.

Jiao-long found Ariel's reaction to his gift almost overwhelming, joy was something that he rarely encountered while he was with his father, and eventually under Master Shi Xing Shien he had learned respect, discipline and honor, but never ... this. Joy. "Ummm, you are most certainly welcome Ariel. And as for telling Emma, I would never want you to hide or conceal anything from your friends." He smiled as he paced about the spacious loft, he could easily fit his apartment into Ariel's living room, several times over. "Uncle Wei cannot provide much pay, but would certainly be able to provide his staff with a small work lunch and dinner after the event was over. I know it's not much but Mia's brother, Kim-ja, has left the Phoenix in a bit of a bind, and Uncle Wei want's to ensure that his catering is perfection itself."

As he spoke with her, he turned to watch her play with her hair and nibble her bottom lip. The corner of his mouth pulled up into a smile and he felt heat rise in his face, she turned as he was speaking and caught him looking. Quickly looking away through her floor to ceiling window he took in the Neotropolis skyline, as it stood in stark contrast to the evening sky. "So, ummm, how did you move to the city to attend the Institute, or did you and Emma know one another before moving in together?" He took a seat on the window ledge, turning to watch her as she replied, but only after he felt the flush in his face pass.

Ariel & Emma's Flat: After 2 a.m.

His meeting with the other heroes atop the roof had gone less than perfect, in fact his desire to focus only on his own issues had almost driven the Samaritan back into the sky. Even once they found Kim and his Falcons that discussion had left Jiao with a sour taste in his mouth, he had failed to convince Kim of the dangers of working with men like Dong Tie He, and Dr. Sing, and the young man had stormed off. Even when he tried to share some small piece of information with the Samaritan, who had in fact helped him with Kim, his information was rudely disregarded by the self proclaimed worlds most intelligent woman. And then, almost as rapidly as they had come together the group dispersed.

Jiao had taken great lengths to ensure that he wasn't being followed when he finally stuffed his alter ego's clothing into his satchel and put on his everyday clothes again. He was walking home, his mind racing along many paths, he tried to speak as plainly as he could about his past, and doing so had brought up many feelings. The fear, and self loathing he felt at being the product of his father's laboratories, the love and affection he felt for his sister, Jia-li, the pain of her betrayal, the respect and adoration he held for his Master Shi Xing Shien. The loss he felt when he turned his back on the Celestial City to pursue and ultimately fail to redeem his sister from the path his father had forced upon her.

Oddly, as his thoughts raced, his feet had carried him to Ariel's flat, he noticed through the drapes, that the lights were on in their living room area. His chest felt tight as he thought of speaking with her again, if only to relieve some of his own doubts and misgivings in regards to the events of the night. So tentatively, he reached out and hit the intercom buzzer. "Ummm, it's Jiao, I just finished my deliveries for the night, and, ummm, hoped that maybe we could talk." In truth he did only want to talk, but he grimaced slightly as he thought what she may think his actual intentions were. Maybe he should just leave, and hopefully she had just fallen asleep with the lights on.

IronEden
11-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Shrike

Shrike spat up his drink at the sight of the bold letters exploding into view, soaking his laptop and the couch. He tried to close his eyes against the glare, but the image remained on the dark of his eyelids.
"Aghh! Puja? I uh, I can't see. I think someone's sending me a message, and they thought It'd be a good idea to put it straight into my eyes. I can't close my email like this. The good news, though, is that I'm pretty sure it's Babel."


It was always a strange feeling to be helpless around Puja, but being a cyborg, such was the way of things. He looked over to where he thought Puja was sitting, in the study nook of her small flat.

Spectrum
11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Dexter


Written with Aziz Ansari as a voice actor.

Waheed grins into the phone, that overly infectious smile, "Waasaaaabi!" yeah, that fad got old really fast but some people just wouldn't let it go. "Hey man, how you doing? So, dude, what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow. African or European? Waaaaaaa!"

It takes a moment to realize that he actually stopped talking for a moment.

Spectrum
11-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Jiao-long

Ariel lifts herself up, coming to stand beside you, "I've known Emma for a couple years now." she gazes at the soft glow of the city, "She kinda followed me to Neotropolis, but she goes to the school too." she grins, "So did you go to school back in China? I've heard that there's some incredible martial arts farms there." she laughs, "Not that I could attend them but could be fun to watch." babbling on, she whistles a few bars from Kung Fu Fighting before blushing darkly. "But sure, I could look into getting a few people to host. I have a few people in mind even. Anything special or just people who look good in a white shirt and black pants?"

After 2 am

Ariel winced as she heard Jiao-long on the intercom. This.. this was really bad timing- she was getting ready for bed after way too much studying. Right, look like you're studying... she carefully placed her books out. Oh! Not that direction, right side up! Not that it was hard stuff, more like puzzles to play with- Automata theory was turning out to be her favorite subject of the semester! At the same time, her heart when pitterpatter, pitterpatter, oooh, the man was sooooo cute!On the third hand.. how many hands do I have right now anyways? She had heard stories of creepy guys and the creepy things that they did to innocent young girls. But he couldn't be that way, could he? He was a nice guy.. but what kind of nice guy came around at 2 am.. and what was he doing near here to see that she had her lights on. Emma would know what to do, or at least be able to make sure that Jiao regretted being a perv.Play it cool, play it cool- "Hi Jiao.. umm, this might not be a great time to talk, but I really want to talk." she sighs in excited frustration, quite audible over the mic. *squeak* click- silence.

CaptainChaos
11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid reporter

Kate looked around the room with the glasses, remarking on the clarity and vision enhancement properties. When she spotted people carrying firearms, she became alarmed for a brief moment before considering that gun laws varied from state to state and it might be perfectly legal to carry them here. It was unusual to be sure, but possibly not illegal.

"These glasses are incredible! They really enhance color and details. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions for a story I'm doing on the show? I would be honored to know the names of the people responsible for these and for the privilege of writing your story."

Spectrum
11-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Shrike

Puja laugh softly, the song of a burbling brook, "Well, Thomas, what do you want me to do about it?" she waves her fingers in front of your face, not that you can see them with your eyes screwed up tightly. "I could disconnect your internal connection or well, you've been wanting to talk to him, her.. It? for a while now."

Tinman- verify request for upgrades.
(10 seconds)
Or I'll start having fun.

Spectrum
11-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Kate Ory

Beth smiles back, "Sure! I'll be glad to discuss things. I'm Beth and I'm with Firesite Optics." the gathered group of (mostly) men grumble, several demanding their turn with the glasses or to talk to Beth.. or to you. "Ohhh, ummm.." she reaches for a card and really Shoves it at you. Could hurt someone with that thing.

The abrupt presentment of the card is punctuated by the doors to the hall slamming open and a horde of ski-masked men bursting into the room, closing off the escape routes. In the vid shows, they always look amusing, oh, I'll just happen to pop in and rob you on my way to the ski lifts. This isn't funny. This is.. so terrifying and so real.

A burst of automatic fire over the crowd.

"This is a stickup! Just hand over your valuables and nobody'll get hurt! Now! Now!"

The front of each group moves quickly, slamming into the front of the audience and grabbing for the goods.

CaptainChaos
11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid reporter

Kate ignored the protests of the group of men gathered behind and around her. She was here first and as any good reporter knows, if you're not first, you're last. As she reached for the young woman's card, she was startled by the sound of the doors slamming open. If that wasn't enough to get the attention of the convention goes, the gunfire and the shouting finished the job.

"Oh my god! Someone call 911!" she shouted.

Kate snagged the card from Beth's hand and slipped it down the front of her dress where it would be safe. She slipped the glasses off and slid them across the counter to Beth.

"Hide these, they're very valuable. We'll talk again later, I hope."

Kate looked around at the exits, hoping to find one she could slip out of unnoticed but it was to no avail. Whoever these gunmen were, they had all the exits covered. She was trapped with everyone else.

Evolución
11-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Chris went through the name list. Quite a few. He began running a search protocol on the names. He wanted basic information on these people, if they had any sort of crime history, jobs, family, relation with the victim, if any. The letters on his screen reflected on his glasses as he scrolled and absorbed the information. He wanted to narrow down the list first.
He needed tests ran on the gel that covered the... what was her name again? He needed to know the properties, was a natural substance? something out of common? Did it had enzymatic activity? If not, what did eat away all her hair? He knew a Dr. Klomts, chemical biologist that might have some information on the substance if he took a sample to him. He would get one of his assistants to take the sample to Klomts' lab as soon as he can reach the good doctor.
He also needed some background info on the victim, he got his hands on the keyboard and began making a file inventory on what the police knew of this girl. Teeth identification should get the ID no problem, but lets see what the database hold of the unlucky woman...


OOC: Doing some investigative stuff first. Chris will use his investigate skill to sort out the witness list and gather info about them (Contacts allows this to be done more quickly): 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4715735/) he will then use his Connected advantage to get the aid of Dr. Klomts (totally made up), to analyze the sample of gel the scientific police has surely taken. Chris got a 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4715738/)on his perception roll to get help from Dr. Klomts, which should be enough. Last but not least, I'll get an Investigate roll for the victim to get her personal details: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4715744/). If any of the subjects (either witnesses or the victim) is somehow popular, I'm guessing his Well informed feat will catch up too, in order to help narrowing down the search.

Spectrum
11-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Detective Chris Everett

How was it that in a city of such wealth and scientific knowledge, that it would be so difficult to get lab test and basic research done. Oh right! Budget cutbacks! Offering tax incentives to the already wealthy and corporations that would be here anyway. Of course!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qSO0DS51Xmg/R_ghVmeIYHI/AAAAAAAAAxE/zXV_9Zq-U8g/s400/adrienne_gautreaux.jpg

The victim, an Erin Campbell, was a second year student at Turing, one of the community colleges (less expensive feeder schools to NIT). Good grades in veterinary science. No boyfriend but active in various outside projects (debate, senior center activities, open mike poetry readings but never on stage, academic sorority). Lots of people were aware of her, but not much in the way of people that had extended contact with her. Father lives about 50 miles outside of Neotropolis, a large animal vet practice- in a continual state of financial difficulty.

Your attempts to reach out to Dr. Klomts are frustrating to say the least, you sent over the samples, but trying to actually get in touch with him has been a challenge.

You've decided to try one more time, and just about when you're about to hang up again.

"Hello. Zis ez the office of Doktor Klomts. How may I help you?"

Spectrum
11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Katy Ory

Beth let out a gasp, quickly slipping the glasses back into a protective case and hiding it beneath the table. "Wh..what do you think they're here for?" her eyes getting huge, her nostrils flaring.

Several of the booth babes start screaming, whimpering in fear, which in turn adds further fuel to the level of panic in the room, the level of tension spiraling higher and higher. The stench of tension is heavy in the air, clogging the lungs.

In a sick parody of trick or treat, teams of the masked gunmen walk through the rows of tables, demanding valuables. One with a bag, the other with a readied rifle. Along the perimeter, another ring of gunmen.


How about insight and perception rolls to see what else you pick up on?

Praetorian Guard
11-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.

Ariel & Emma's Flat Early Evening


Ariel lifts herself up, coming to stand beside you, "I've known Emma for a couple years now." she gazes at the soft glow of the city, "She kinda followed me to Neotropolis, but she goes to the school too." she grins, "So did you go to school back in China? I've heard that there's some incredible martial arts farms there." she laughs, "Not that I could attend them but could be fun to watch." babbling on, she whistles a few bars from Kung Fu Fighting before blushing darkly. "But sure, I could look into getting a few people to host. I have a few people in mind even. Anything special or just people who look good in a white shirt and black pants?"

Jiao considered the question, but wanted to know more about the woman he was speaking with, almost distractedly he responded to her query. "I guess Uncle Wei is going to have Mia act as hostess and supervise the staff," as he mentioned Mia's name he looked furtively at Ariel judging her reaction because of the events of that afternoon, "so some experience waiting tables, or serving. Though I suppose they should look the part too." He kind of shrugged, Wei hadn't been that clear in regards to the whole matter.

He smiled and turned around, ready to respond to her teasing about kung fu farms. As his thoughts began to race towards his training under his father, he quickly diverted it into an area he was more comfortable with, "Honestly, I was more or less home schooled. I was never really built for a class room setting I guess." He ran a hand through his short cropped dark hair nervously, "But I learned things here and there. Herbs, poultices, and such. When I left home I learned a great deal about medicinal herbs and traditional healing techniques from a very learned man. Nothing that would translate well into a place like N.I.T. though." He looked around at Ariel's scattered text books, and research papers, a lap top, a tablet, and her phone all sitting around a pile of papers, with a sweep of his hand he indicated the mess. "You seem to be doing very well there though, I mean Dr. Primen knew you by name when I asked her about the Glimpse of Tomorrow seminars."

While he was looking around the living room he noticed the time and started quickly. "Oh no! I'm so sorry Ariel, I need to get going, I have an important meeting to get to. A friend of mine is going to help me find out where Mia's brother is and I gave her my word that'd I'd try to get him out of whatever trouble he is in." He quickly grabbed his satchel and headed for the door, "I'm so so sorry! If you can find anyone to help out with the catering that would be great. I'll be in touch!"

Ariel & Emma's Flat: After 2 a.m.


"Hi Jiao.. umm, this might not be a great time to talk, but I really want to talk." she sighs in excited frustration, quite audible over the mic. *squeak* click- silence.

Jiao leaned his head against the rough brick above the intercom, he hit the buzzer to reply. "Yeah, I understand, I found Kim, it just well ... Yes. You're right. It's late and we can talk tomorrow. Goodnight Ariel." He slowly turned and shouldered his satchel beginning the walk back home.

CaptainChaos
11-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Kate Ory, intrepid reporter

"Just try and stay calm Beth. Hopefully they will just take money, jewelry, and credit cards and leave. I've never heard of anyone robbing a tech convention before. Figures it would have to be one I attend."



.Perception and Insight rolled in order: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4716403 perception 1d20+8=22, insight 1d20+2=15

Evolución
11-13-2014, 07:31 PM
"Dr.. This is Detective Everette, NPD. I need you to analyze a biopolymer, a gel found on a dead body. I want to know if this is a known compound and if not I need its properties, biochemically speaking, and its possible origin. I have already sent an assistant with the sample. You know where to send the bill." Chris spoke, with all the bussines tone he could.

IronEden
11-15-2014, 04:46 PM
OOC: Placeholder. Had some second thoughts.

Psistrike
11-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen nods, a thoughtful smile. It takes a moment to pack up her things into her rolled carryall before going being off on her way to the office.

"Are you having any problems getting tickets to the Glimpse on Friday? I've heard that some silly old biddy is going to yammer on for hours."
"No, I got my tickets ordered and paid for the 1st day the Glimpse was announced. It is another matter, one of a more private nature. I sometimes like to go out in the public and not be recognized, so I designed a device which generates a field that causes others not to recognize me as myself while active. But it has a habit of glitching and shorting out, painfully I might add." she said while holding her left palm out, showing the still-healing burn from the last time the gadget shorted out.

Spectrum
11-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Jiao-long

Early Evening

"But I learned things here and there. Herbs, poultices, and such. When I left home I learned a great deal about medicinal herbs and traditional healing techniques from a very learned man. Nothing that would translate well into a place like N.I.T. though."

Ariel smiles thoughtfully, tapping a finger upon her lips. "Actually, I think that I may know someone that you might want to talk to. More of a friend of a friend, but from what I hear, he's hugely into ethnobotany an dpharmacognosy." a light blush, "How native plants are used for alternative therapy methods." she blushes darker, "I shouldn't have explained what that meant, should I? I could give you his name next time I see you?"

"I'm so so sorry! If you can find anyone to help out with the catering that would be great. I'll be in touch!"

"Sure, I'll be happy to! I have a couple of people in mind already!"

After 2am

"It's late and we can talk tomorrow. Goodnight Ariel."

"Wait, please wait, come in, just give me 10.. *clatter* 15 minutes before heading up so that I can straight things a bit?"

Spectrum
11-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Kate Ory

Watching the gunmen for a moment offers a bit of awareness into how they move.. and it's rather conflicted. They look to be following a good strategic plan, or at least a consistent one. On the other hand, while they can follow instructions, they're giving a lot of looks towards the booth babes. It's probably not long before things start slipping, one way or another. You might be able to take advantage of it, if you're careful. Good chance that if you're not careful, it'll blow up right in your face and a lot of people are going to get hurt around you.

Beth breathes slowly, a soft counting as she tries to calm herself. "Don't do anything stupid either.. just..."

The masked men walk up towards the booth, "Why hello hello..what do we have here?" The bag being held out towards you, "Phone, purse, watch, jewelry."

Spectrum
11-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Detective Chris Everette


Insert bad German accent here.

"Ah, yes, Detective Everette. I was about to call you. So far, intriguingly inconclusive." and begins to ramble on at length in dense, pompous, chemistry geek talk. The parts that aren't too thick suggests that while the source is human that no normal could do it and he keeps prattling on about digestive enzymes.

And
he'll
just
keep
talking
excitedely
and
densely
until
you
stop
him.

Spectrum
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen nods thoughtfully, her eyes focusing as the brilliant mind inside begins to whirl. Subconsciously, she starts to rub over her hands, little twitches at her frownlines. "I see. Interesting. Not precisely in my area of expertise though. Your description suggests more of a hardware rather than a software issue. What have you narrowed the cause down to?"

CaptainChaos
11-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid Reporter

Kate stared for a brief moment at the gunman. She did her best to look like she was in shock and scared. Truthfully, she was a little afraid. She knew she had special abilities but had never really tested them to see what her limits were. She wasn't entirely sure she was bulletproof. Even so, she knew the others at the convention were not and if she tried something, someone would get hurt or killed. Well, she reasoned, she had managed to live her life just fine these past few months without becoming a hero, today was just another day.

"Okay, just don't shoot. I'm going to reach in my dress for my phone and credit card. I don't carry a purse and I don't have any pockets in this outfit." she said meekly.

Moving slowly, she reached inside her dress into a hidden pocket and retrieved her phone and American Express gold card. She handed the items to the gunman before removing her silver necklace with the star pendant and a silver ring with a yellow sapphire mounted in it.

"This is everything I have sir."

Spectrum
11-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Celestial

The bagman nods, taking the items with a careful respect. He turns back towards Beth, opening the bag again. All very courteously and efficiently going about his job.

Beth pauses, a tight gulp as she carefully takes off a small silver necklace, dropping it and her phone into the bag. "Electronic wallet, no cards." she says meekly.

"Thank you both."

The gunman on the other hand doesn't keep a very careful eye but rather stares at the little lamb beside you, "I'll be seeing you both later ladies." all but drooling with every word.

Across the room, one of the male models protests, "No! I am not going to give you my wallet!" Stupid, stupid, stupid.. and it gets him a crack across the cheek with a pistol for his trouble... going down in a boneless heap. The bagman takes the wallet anyways.

CaptainChaos
11-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid reporter

Kate cringed when the gunman said he would see them later. Just the way he said those words made her nauseous. She wasn't above using her 'charms' to get a story or a scoop but this was different. It had the feel of something very unpleasant.

She looked over towards where the make model had resisted. Typical, all brawn and no brains.

"Try to stay calm Beth. Maybe nothing will happen as long as we don't draw too much attention to ourselves." she said nervously, knowing exactly what was on the gunman's mind.

She just hoped the man found some willing participants among the crowd to tire him out.

Psistrike
11-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen nods thoughtfully, her eyes focusing as the brilliant mind inside begins to whirl. Subconsciously, she starts to rub over her hands, little twitches at her frownlines. "I see. Interesting. Not precisely in my area of expertise though. Your description suggests more of a hardware rather than a software issue. What have you narrowed the cause down to?"
Right to the heart of the problem, that was just like Doctor Primen. She had been so distracted at trying to find a software issue with her coding not being fully compatible with the hardware, she never thought to check the hardware for any issues beyond the obvious. And yet one she could recall... "Well, I foolishly made it a subdermal implant, for one. But I recall having problems with the micro-antenna I created which activates in response to a pressure switch in my palm. I originally planned to use gold for the antenna but was afraid of gold poisoning, so I replaced it with a synthetic substitute of my own creation." she said while staring at her own palm, shocked the answer might have been there all along.

Evolución
11-18-2014, 06:13 AM
"Thanks herr Doctor, I'll get that into the investigation file.-" The detective says before hanging out. So human enzymes hm? That's interesting. Perhaps a metahuman walking stomach? As good as theory as any. Chris decided he had gathered some evidence to go to the field and search for clues himself. He appointed his assistant to take calls for him, telling her he was going to Turing school, and then to visit some witnesses (who's addresses he should have gotten from his investigate roll.).
Turing was not very imposing, and Chris walked in like any other person would, without rubbing his plaque into anyone's face. He will ask to speak with the principal, and wait if necessary, but clearly state this was NPD investigation. He wanted to discuss Erin's background and any information the principal might have, specially things that didn't go to the files.

kenmadragon
11-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Dexter Lancaster

"Man, I don't even know!" Dexter laughed as he leaned back in his chair. "But good, I'm good. How've you been then, huh? Ready to hang this weekend?" he eventually calmed down from his laughter to say. Honestly, Dexter was looking forward to having fun with Waheed this weekend - if he ever got to finishing his homework. Mom and Dad wouldn't let him go to Waheed's if he hadn't finished all his homework before hand. Which was sooo bogus because he'd planned on doing the work at Waheed's in between the fun-times but they wouldn't buy that. Sucks. Still, Dexter was excited about the weekend of hanging out at Waheed's. Be nice to get away from his siblings for a little while.

Spectrum
11-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen smiles slightly as she watches you work through the situation on your own. She absently rubs at her hands, trying to ease the pain and tightness from them. It was getting so very bad. She really did need to call Jiao-long back for another consult.

"Ms. Cormick, I'm sure that you could have thought of my response on your own. Are you sure that was what you really wanted to talk to me about?"

Not quite a 'why are you wasting my time with silly questions?' but rather a 'Niceties are out of the way, now why did you really come?'

Spectrum
11-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Kate Ory

A long tense moment drags on as the gunmen finish collecting the various personal trinkets and treasures. After the himbo got put down, things go more smoothly, people more willing to take this as a serious threat rather than a game and valuing their lives over their possessions. Not everything goes as planned though, some people breaking out into hysterics, grown men (and a few women) breaking down into crying fits.

They have what they want, shouldn't they be leaving now? But no, there's an awkward pause as they start looking at each other, uncertain of the next step. You know, the escape and counting the loot phase?

Spectrum
11-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Detective Chris Everett

http://www.brookhavencollege.edu/about/maps/PublishingImages/WelcomeDeskMap_914.jpg

It's a pretty but simple campus, full of very institutional buildings over a few acres. At some point, someone with either a good sense of humor (or a distinctly morbid one) has planted small orchards of apple trees here and there, tying the overall look together.

In one corner, where the body was found, are memorial wreaths and notes, remembrances. Nothing in particular stands out.

The admin building is more of the same, modern and simple. The doors are littered with safety reminders and offers of counseling. The campus is in mourning, a realization of the fates that await us all, even when we are so young and there is so much life before us.

The president and VPs offices are aong a single corridor, sharing a secretarial pool.

A studious looking young man smiles up to you, "Hi! Can I help you?"

Spectrum
11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Waheed grins back, "I mean, is that lame or.. what? Like a duck man! Like a duck!"

He grumbles, "Man. I really hate to tell you this. Look, don't hate me or anything, buuuuuut.."


".... yeah man, my cousin is getting married to like this much older dude, so all the hens are going to be babbling all weekend, blah blah freakin blah.. duuuude. So I'm even getting kicked out of my own room! Like to the couch man! Hey, I wouldn't mind sleeping in the same bed with Arji, you know? She's pretty hot."

No siblings by that name.. a cousin?

He quickly ammends himself, "Anyway, it's not like we're reaaaally related or anything. She's like my third cousin twice removed on my father's side... or adopted.. or something. Dude, just forget that I said anything."

CaptainChaos
11-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid reporter

Kate watched the gunmen carefully. They should be leaving now, having collected cash, credit cards, cell phones, jewelry, and other valuables from the convention attendees. From the looks on some of their faces earlier, she had an unpleasant feeling about what was going to occur next. She hoped her intuition was wrong for the sake of everyone there.

"What are they waiting for? Where are the police? You would think someone would be watching the security cameras and called the police." she said to herself and anyone close enough to hear her.

Evolución
11-20-2014, 04:39 AM
Chris sighs slightly. "Yes, I'm Detective Chris Everette from the NPD, I need to talk with the principal." He says, flashing his badge if required.

IronEden
11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
"Ten seconds, Jesus." Thomas gave a nervous laugh. "Uh, my laptop. Type "confirmed" in the window. Fast!"

Psistrike
11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen smiles slightly as she watches you work through the situation on your own. She absently rubs at her hands, trying to ease the pain and tightness from them. It was getting so very bad. She really did need to call Jiao-long back for another consult.

"Ms. Cormick, I'm sure that you could have thought of my response on your own. Are you sure that was what you really wanted to talk to me about?"

Not quite a 'why are you wasting my time with silly questions?' but rather a 'Niceties are out of the way, now why did you really come?'
"You're right, there is something else. I'm concerned about you, there are rumors going around about some group after what you are unveiling at the Glimpse and they might target you as well, just to have someone who can get it working for them. There are a lot of strange things in this city, trust me, I know. But organized crime, they are a very real threat and might have access to technology which the police and security for the event can't handle. Maybe...maybe you could use a holographic interface to project yourself to the Glimpse instead of being there in person?" Cindy said with a hint of worry in her voice.

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Kate Ory


Getting kinda squicked by trying to put up this part of the backstory so glossing over some of the more objectionable parts.

Things start to go from bad to worse as a few of the gunmen start separating out the group of hostages- to keep everything safe and controlled of course. Yeeeeah, not buying that for a second.

A huge cue to the contrary is when you start hearing whimpering.. and then terrified screaming.

Your 'friend' from before is back now, looking over the room and starting to head back your way. "You! Step away from the booth and come with me."

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Detective Chris Everette

The young man smiles up to you with a nod, "If you'll please take a seat detective, I'll ring the principal now." He looks away from you without a second glance.

"Yes sir, a Detective Everette is here to speak with you?"
*pause*
"Ye... yes sir." a quick glance your way. "I didn't ask sir."
*pause*
"I'll call back when I have an answer sir."
*pause, hang up and dials a number*
"This is Devon over in admin, a Detective Everette is here. Principal..."
*pause*
"Yes, I'll hold him here."

Devon smiles back up to you again, a slight nod, before returning to his computer.

Minutes will pass with no sign of the principal.

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 07:23 AM
Shrike

Puja gives you an odd look and shakes her head, before leaning over you and typing it in. "I can't believe that you never learned how to touch type." It echoes to your screen. She reaches for your hands, carefully placing them onto the keyboard from the homekey positions. "Do you want me to still disconnect you?"

Took you long enough. Please provide further details so that I can make sure of the pricing involved. Time is money after all.

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen paused, rubbing more firmly at her hands, trying hard to conceal the pain. "Ms. Cormick, thank you for your concern. I'll take it under advisement. I have been repeatedly assured that the situation is well in hand and that any dangers will be minimal." her eyes twinkle, "It's not like I'm unleashing yet another giant robot or a reality bending new power source. My discussion subject (http://xkcd.com/1450/) will be entirely contained and poses minimal external danger."

CaptainChaos
11-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Kate Ory, intrepid reporter



Kate Ory



Things start to go from bad to worse as a few of the gunmen start separating out the group of hostages- to keep everything safe and controlled of course. Yeeeeah, not buying that for a second.

A huge cue to the contrary is when you start hearing whimpering.. and then terrified screaming.

Your 'friend' from before is back now, looking over the room and starting to head back your way. "You! Step away from the booth and come with me."

Kate was not naive. She knew what the gunmen had in mind for selected hostages and appearantly for her. She started moving towards the gunman slowly. It would be unpleasant but if it saved lives, she would do what she had to.

"You've got all the valuables. You should all leave before the situation gets worse. The police will be here soon. Grand theft is one thing but to add assault charges as well? Not very smart in my opinion."

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Kate Ory

The gunman shakes his head, "Full of yourself, aren't you?" he gesture with the pistol for you to move out of the way. "Her. The sweet little lamb." pointing it at Beth.

CaptainChaos
11-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Kate Ory

The nerve of this guy! How could he not want her? She has had numerous men, and a few women, practically throwing themselves at her and here was this idiot passing her over for a frightened scientist?

"Sorry, I don't think so. She's not available and you are not her type. I suggest you and your friends leave now before something you will regret happens."

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Kate Ory

The gunman speaks up, "Hey, this bitch is eager to get her turn. Anyone interested? Too bony for me!" A few hoots come up from the group as they eye you over. Oh goody, lots of nasty folks are now very interested in you.

He moves towards Beth again even as she trembles away.

kenmadragon
11-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1

"Done man, just stop digging yourself deeper!" Dexter laughed as his friend tried to backtrack before trying to wrap his head around what that meant. "So what then? No sleep over then? Man! That sucks..."

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Dexter

"Yeah dude, and not in the good way either! It also means that i can't come over either. Soo... yeah, gonna have to raincheck it man."

kenmadragon
11-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Dexter Lancaster

"Dang man, that really sucks..." Dexter said, trying to figure out what he was going to do. Mom and Dad probably wouldn't care, but Dexter had really been looking forward to a sleepover at Waheed's. Get away from the folks for a little while and all that. Besides, his sisters were driving him crazy, and his brother was barely even a toddler... Man this sucked! "Dude, what am I supposed to do then? Spend a weekend at home right after my sisters get their new makeup kit? Man, I need to get out of the house or I'm a dead man!"

CaptainChaos
11-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Kate Ory

Kate felt that she had to protect Beth from the man. She knew she could easily use her powers, the ones she had been hiding for nearly a year now, but there were too many witnesses. Instead, she ran over to the man and attempted to kick him in a sensitive area.

"I said to leave her alone!"


unarmed attack = 1d20+0=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4726744/)

Spectrum
11-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Init please

Goons: 1d20+6=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4726803/)
Beth: 1d20=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4726804/)
x

CaptainChaos
11-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Kate Ory


Initiative = 1d20+1=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4726815/)

Evolución
11-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Chris waited the time he judged necessary before stepping up, walking with his trademark pokerface towards Devon's desk, leaning forward and cleaving his eyes with an icy stare. "You will take me to the principal now or I will arrest you for obstruction of justice, am I making myself clear?"

OOC: Time to play bad cop here: Intimidate: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4727592/)

Spectrum
11-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Waheed gave a moment of thought before the first stupid thing that came to his mind flew out of his mouth, "You know.. I saw this movie once where like two really hot girls.. really smoking bods.." he spends a goodly moment describing just how utterly babelicious they are, droning on to himself. "So, instead of staying over at either of their parents houses they went down to the city and snuck into this club and..." insert moronic porn without plot scenario here...

Dude, nasty.. really nasty. Why is he even telling you these things?

However, the idiot has a point. Maybe.

Spectrum
11-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Detective Chris Everette

Devon gazes up at you with huge eyes, letting out a stammering siiiiiigh.

From the way you came, a throat is cleared, "Detective, I know you do things differently in your department than we do here in campus security, but I didn't know that included scaring hapless minions."

A strong faced woman in a charcoal gray suit, starts walking towards you, her hand outstretched "Officer Chloe Demetrius, what brings you here today?"

Spectrum
11-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Kate Ory

The kick nearly connects, blindsiding the gunman. Unfortunately, your running attracts attention, especially when you're in your working clothing. Those wicked heels are great for putting you on equal footing with some of your pushier colleagues but not so great for running. You might need to try kicking someone with them sometime though.

The thug takes it to the shin, letting out a quick yelp before drawing his pistol hand back in an attempt to slap you back across the face, completely missing, "Sit down and shut up! You'll get your turn!" Thinking about the angles, you might be able to turn that miss into a good ploy if you were so inclined.



The comedy of errors continues: 1d20+5=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728740/) wiff.

At least Beth is able to take advantage of the distraction, ducking down and trying to conceal herself under the booth. Her rapid disappearance may even manage to surprise you.


1d20+5=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728762/) Ninja geek girl!

Evolución
11-26-2014, 04:45 AM
"Indeed we do things differently Demetrius." The detective says, not acknowledging the woman made up title. Campus security? Please. "At least we don't call our underlings minions." he adds, taking the woman's hand. "I'm here to see justice served, I'm the leading detective in the case of Erin Campbell. I will have word with the principal regarding the assassination, and will also like to take a look at her room and interview her professors and some of the other students that took courses with her." Everette takes both his hands and places them behind his back, looking ominously tall and imposing. "I trust I will have the full cooperation of the institution in this." He doesn't trust this Chloe woman, and tries to read her replies in search for deception. He also makes a mind recopilation of facts that he could know of her.

Insight 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4729083/)
Investigation with Well informed on Chloe Demetrius: 25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4729084/)

Spectrum
11-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Detective Chris Everett

Demetris shakes your hand back, matching the firmness and strength, not weaker or stronger, but matching your intensity. She doesn't look away, matching you right in the eye. It isn't challenging, simply stating that she isn't going to be bullied. She smiles back, "I'll see to it that you have the cooperation of the institution within the limits that the law allows. This is a sensitive matter and needs to be handled delicately. For now, we're going to go to my office, away from prying ears and discuss your plans so that I can help facilitate them with a minimum of disruption." Again, from her tone, no disrespect, simply stating that this is the way that it needs to be with a strong undertone that she has information to share that isn't for common circulation.

As you talk with her, your memory starts to come back on her. She served several military terms, working into criminal investigations. Most of the records are sealed for confidentiality, but what you've been able to pick up is that she was involved with delicate matters regarding VIPs. She was also involved in a few high profile investigations into discriminatory practices. Then her career suddenly stalls, her rapid rise stalling and a lack of noteworthy cases. After leaving service, a number of applications to various police organizations, a short period as a private investigator and then here. She's been here a few short years, but during that period, campus crime has been handled in a rapid delicate matter, pushing for greater transparency and overall doing a great job.

On the other hand, one of her biggest hurdles to overcome is that there is a lot of sensitive research going on, a general lack of respect for authority and a heavy push towards protecting student and staff privacy. This might be a situation where you can run roughshod over everybody you meet and get somewhere, but you'll have a lot less resistance with using a bit of honey to sweeten things. The student population is (rightfully) scared and more fear could lead to panic.

CaptainChaos
11-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Kate Ory, intrepid reporter
Condition: in big trouble

Kate thanked whatever beings that were watching out for her that the backhand missed. She had to keep his attention focused on her so Beth could get away. She remembered a self defense class she took in college and decided to try one of the tricks she was taught.

She put as much force into her attack as she could and slammed her heel at the gunman's foot.


unarmed attack to put her heel into the gunman's foot: 1d20+0= 12

kenmadragon
11-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Dexter L
HP: 1

"Dude! Just... Stop. Just stop." Dexter said shaking his head, face scrunched up in some manner of disgust. What the heck, man?!? Seriously, there was protocol! You don't talk about stuff like that! Waheed ought to have known that... Man, having strict parents must really make ya repressed. Dexter was glad that his own parents weren't so strict. Okay, well, maybe they were that strict, but at least they relaxed on the leash and stuff every now and then! This was just... holy crap, man, why was he telling him this?!? Letting go an exasperated sigh, Dexter said, "Just.. Cut to the chase, man. What the heck's your point?"

Spectrum
11-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Dexter

Waheed comes to a sudden breaking stop in the chatter. "Bro, I'm saying that, you know, if nobody knows that you're not supposed to be anywhere, go do something really cool. You know, sneaking out, like the babes in that movie.. But like maybe less.. awesome? Or if you're going to be that awesome- tell me everything about it!"

Psistrike
11-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen paused, rubbing more firmly at her hands, trying hard to conceal the pain. "Ms. Cormick, thank you for your concern. I'll take it under advisement. I have been repeatedly assured that the situation is well in hand and that any dangers will be minimal." her eyes twinkle, "It's not like I'm unleashing yet another giant robot or a reality bending new power source. My discussion subject (http://xkcd.com/1450/) will be entirely contained and poses minimal external danger."
"Very well, since the matter is taken care of, I won't waste any more of your time. Thank you for listening to me, can't wait to see and hear all about your newest creation." Cindy said with a grin as she stood up to leave the office and go meet up with Maria.

kenmadragon
11-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1 Cond: An Idea

Sneak out huh? Dexter pondered that for a moment and found himself liking the idea more and more. Sure, he'd get in a lot of trouble if he got caught, but wasn't that part of the fun? Besides, it was a weekend alone, where he could go anywhere he wanted. It was a chance to see what he could do. Granted, it probably wasn't much, but... a whole weekend... "You know, that's not actually that bad an idea... You're not gonna tell anyone are you? Because that could mean a lot of trouble if the folks found out and stuff." Dexter admitted before frowning, a little cautious about being ratted out. Because the more he thought about it, the more appealing the idea seemed to become.

Evolución
12-01-2014, 04:36 AM
"Very well,..." Chris started, as he seated at Demetris' office. "As you know this is a very delicate case. Priority is establishing the grounds for the murder, as your file suggest you know well. I have some information that would point towards the biology department, and I will also need to perform interrogations, rest assured, of the most calmed, laid back and friendly variety."

IronEden
12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Shrike

"Yeah, let's do that. If you can make it look like it's still on, well, that'd be even better."

As soon as his vision cleared, he began to write back on his laptop. I need an improved neurocontroller to manage new implants. Nothing on the market seems good enough to handle this new faux-organic piece, and the interface is too clunky for the kind of software that I want. I want a part to work just by thinking about it. Can you do that?

He sent the message, and then steepled his fingers. "I almost didn't think he would write me back," he told Puja, "but I guess we've all got bills, right? I don't know how I'm going to get him after I show up for surgery, though. I might need help with that."

Spectrum
12-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen pauses a moment, wincing as the pain in her hands becomes progressively worse, "What have you heard that has you so concerned Ms. Cormick? There's a possiblity, though small, that you have heard something that the police haven't. It'd be a very poor choice to not work to make everything as safe as possible."

Spectrum
12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Waheed leers into the phone, "Well, I'd have a much easier time telling your parents what you didn't do if I knew what you did too, if you know what I'm saying, huh? huh? I know you've had your eye on that Stacy McGuilicutty! You dog you!" You mean the one with a bra size higher than her IQ? That hasn't given you the time of day? Who has a multiLetterman boyfriend that could put you into the ground if you were who you said that you were rather than having these freaky powers? That Stacy?

Spectrum
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Detective Everette

Demetris nods slowly as she settles herself. She shifts to one side to work at her terminal, "What makes you think biology? Anything in particular?" taptaptappitytaptap, "Shall I extend the search into other sciences? Nursing?" She sets her jaw in thought, "I'm working on a list of people that might be helpful. You should know though that some of them will be less eager to speak with police even at the best of times. Some of them are only know starting to say hello to me when I pass them."

Spectrum
12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Shrike


Puja carefully removes the piece, trying to work carefully and efficiently without jabbing you too many times with her tools, "You're looking for him to do the surgery, not just source pieces from him?" Is that a tone of disapproval? Even the start of a pout?

That could be arranged. A Omnikron microcontroller may be becoming available soon.

A spec sheet scrolls over the display, very very nice, insanely expensive and horribly overpowered for what you actually need.

Evolución
12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Detective Everette

Demetris nods slowly as she settles herself. She shifts to one side to work at her terminal, "What makes you think biology? Anything in particular?" taptaptappitytaptap, "Shall I extend the search into other sciences? Nursing?" She sets her jaw in thought, "I'm working on a list of people that might be helpful. You should know though that some of them will be less eager to speak with police even at the best of times. Some of them are only know starting to say hello to me when I pass them."

"The substance the victim was covered in was, as I suspected, a biological polymer, with active enzymatic proteins. 'Something' secreted that gelatin that ate away her hair, that's my thesis. So that's why biology. Perhaps biochemistry, if you have such department here. I'm ok with untalkative individuals. I can be persuasive, as you have already seen." He smiles

kenmadragon
12-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Dexter Lancaster

"I'm not sure I know what you're talking about." Dexter said a little defensively and huffily. In truth, it was partially because he wasn't really following Waheed's confusing wordplay, and because he had no desire to chase after Stacy McGullicutty. Sure, Stacy was very, very attractive and likely way above his level. But then again, Dexter also knew that there was more to women beyond looks. When you were a kid, there were cooties to consider. When you're older, you learn that there are other factors involved. Like whether they ran in circles you could actually get into, or already had boyfriends that Social Structure relegated them who could lay a serious beat down on you. Or would actually hold a conversation with you and actually know what the hell you're talking about. Which meant that there were other candidates for Dexter's attentions, but for some reason, he could never actually bring himself to do anything. It was like his mind just froze up and frantically tried to find the "How To Talk To Girls" manual it had lost years ago. Still, it didn't stop everyone from assuming that all guys tried to attain the unattainable. It was like a no-win situation and stuff. But that never stopped guys like Dexter from trying anyways. "No seriously, man, I have no clue what I'll do. But if I do something cool, you'll know. Just so long as you keep your mouth shut about it."

Psistrike
12-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Gizmo Girl

Doctor Primen pauses a moment, wincing as the pain in her hands becomes progressively worse, "What have you heard that has you so concerned Ms. Cormick? There's a possiblity, though small, that you have heard something that the police haven't. It'd be a very poor choice to not work to make everything as safe as possible."
[OOC: This takes place before her meet and greet with the other heroes, so she wouldn't know about the gang. At least if I'm keeping the timeline straight.]
"Well...oh the heck with it. My parents have figured it out, my new girl knows and that guy from the other night knows. Might as well let you in on it too. The implant, it is so I can operate as a superhero without being recognized. I'm Gizmo Girl. And there has been rumors going around about someone interested in her your research and willing to do anything to get it. Anything more I say would just be guessing. Plus with all the weirdness I've seen in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if some strange creature attacks during your speech." she said, hoping she hadn't freaked out Doctor Primen or put her trust in someone who can't keep a secret.

Spectrum
12-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Kate Ory

The gunman lets out a sharp owwww as you slam down on the arch of his foot. It brings attention from the rest of the room as the fool dances around on his other foot.

"I'm going to kill you! I'm going to kill you!" he snarls at you, even as he pogoes like an idiot.

But you've also succeeded, as it were, with Beth having disappeared from his (and a little more worrisome) your sight.

Spectrum
12-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Detective Everette

Demetris pauses a moment, scratching down a few notes. She pauses a longer moment before turning to the side, taptapping away at her machine. "Detective, you said that you believe that the substance 'ate' away the hair? How certain are you of that?" she turns the monitor to share it with you, "I'd say that the substance was scraped, maybe even shaved, from her? Notice the abrasion marks here and here?" she taps at the screen with a finger. "He was careful in any case."

Spectrum
12-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Dexter Lancaster

"Awww man. Where's the fun of having a story if you can't tell the story? But sure..." you hear a muffled voice in the background. "... yeah, I gotta go man. Something about cleaning up my room. Catch you later, and you better have a great story to tell!"

Spectrum
12-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Gizmo Girl


Yep, your timeline is straight. But I'm going to skew it a little to keep things going.

"Well...oh the heck with it. My parents have figured it out, my new girl knows and that guy from the other night knows. Might as well let you in on it too."

The phone begins to ring.

The implant, it is so I can operate as a superhero without being recognized. I'm Gizmo Girl.

And again, right with the word 'Gizmo'. Doctor Primen frowns thoughtfully as she looks from you to the phone and then back again, an index finger raising, 'one moment'. "Doctor Primen." and shifts her focus.

And there has been rumors going around about someone interested in her your research and willing to do anything to get it. Anything more I say would just be guessing. Plus with all the weirdness I've seen in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if some strange creature attacks during your speech." she said, hoping she hadn't freaked out Doctor Primen or put her trust in someone who can't keep a secret.

Doctor Primen frowns more concernedly as she listens more carefully to the phone, very distracted. "Yes. Yes. No. Of course. No."

Spectrum
12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Jiao-long

Early Evening

"But I learned things here and there. Herbs, poultices, and such. When I left home I learned a great deal about medicinal herbs and traditional healing techniques from a very learned man. Nothing that would translate well into a place like N.I.T. though."

Ariel smiles thoughtfully, tapping a finger upon her lips. "Actually, I think that I may know someone that you might want to talk to. More of a friend of a friend, but from what I hear, he's hugely into ethnobotany and pharmacognosy." a light blush, "How native plants are used for alternative therapy methods." she blushes darker, "I shouldn't have explained what that meant, should I? I could give you his name next time I see you?"

"I'm so so sorry! If you can find anyone to help out with the catering that would be great. I'll be in touch!"

"Sure, I'll be happy to! I have a couple of people in mind already!"

After 2am

"It's late and we can talk tomorrow. Goodnight Ariel."

"Wait, please wait, come in, just give me 10.. *clatter* 15 minutes before heading up so that I can straight things a bit?"


refresh

CaptainChaos
12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Kate Ory


Kate Ory

The gunman lets out a sharp owwww as you slam down on the arch of his foot. It brings attention from the rest of the room as the fool dances around on his other foot.

"I'm going to kill you! I'm going to kill you!" he snarls at you, even as he pogoes like an idiot.

But you've also succeeded, as it were, with Beth having disappeared from his (and a little more worrisome) your sight.

Kate decided to take advantage of her attacker's temporary injury and run for it. The only problem with that strategy is where to go? With gunmen covering the exits, her only hope was a long shot.

She ran as fast as she could in inappropriate footwear towards the nearest door. Her plan was to smash into the gunman, knocking him to the ground and hopefully giving herself a head start to get away or get to a phone.

Evolución
12-29-2014, 04:40 AM
"A sound theory, although it doesn't explain the enzymatic activity of the gel. Regardless of which was the hair removal mechanism, the polymer couldn't have been artificially synthesized, or at least it would be harder to do it. Who works on biopolymers at the University?" Chris asks, nodding at the marks. He types a few notes on his note pad that read: "Scrap marks".

kenmadragon
12-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1

"Yeah, yeah. See ya later, Waheed." Dexter laughed off his friend as he put down the phone. Steepling his fingers in the age-old evil triangle of plotting, the teenager gave his friend's idea a good thinking. He was pretty sure he could do it. Mom and Dad likely expected him to bike there with a backpack of clothes and a sleeping bag, so he could probably ditch the bike behind the park wall where nobody could get to, and have a night on the town. Or at least figure out what a "night on the town" actually was. Or better yet, he could spend that time doing other stuff. Like, figuring out what he could do. Sure, he was aware that there was stuff up with him that was weird. Like, most guys are just supposed to get taller and hairier when they get older - the education system was gross, but rather informative in that technical area - but 8th graders aren't supposed to wake up one morning and find they're floating five inches off the bed. Among other things. And if knowing exactly what he was capable of would help make things easier? Maybe he could work that into his schedule of just going around town and stuff...

Spectrum
01-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Kate Ory

While some of the 'guards' are built like linebackers, they sure haven't been trained to work as a team. You duck, you weave, you provide the home viewer with some excellent fanservice as you duck past and dive through the door.

You're almost home (or at least out of the current danger) free, when your heel snaps.. a near stumble, a near fall....

Incredible high heels, a reporter's blessing, an athelete's bane.

Spectrum
01-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Detective Chris Everett

Demetrius smiles, a deep smile from her heart, "Doctor Seaver is probably your best bet in that direction. He's been working in related fields for longer than most of us have been alive. But, he's also the beloved grandfather around here and he isn't entirely.. there anymore. If you treat him with due respect you'll have a better chance of the rest of the faculty opening up to you."

Spectrum
01-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Dexter Lancaster

Snowball, the family Persian cat, hops up onto your lap to complete the look. She flashes a smug look up at you, Exxxxcelllent.

So, what gets put into an overnight of adventuring bag anyways? Supplies? Some kind of disguise? How much space will you allow yourself? The weight probably isn't an issue, but the total amount of space could be. There's also the issue of timing. You were supposed to leave on Friday night and come back Sunday morning, that leaves a ton of options of what and where you could do.


Somehow it always seems that the one thing that you really thought that you wouldn't need ends up being absolutely critical.

CaptainChaos
01-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Kate Ory

"Damn it!" she cursed.

Just her luck. She almost made it.

I really should start wearing sensible shoes but I look so good in heels. she thought as she hopped around while taking her shoes off.

Spectrum
01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Kate Ory

Scamper, scamper, run... don't go too fast or you'll reveal yourself.

You duck into a door and find yourself in- a storage room for showgirl costumes? There might be something here. Maybe?

kenmadragon
01-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1

Dexter smirked as Snowball leaped into his lap, purring. For some reason, it felt like Snowball was the only one in the house that knew his secret. Or more like, she simply just didn't care, just tolerating the people she shared her home with. Still, Dexter didn't fail to take the oppurtunity to pet Snowball gently as he straightened his back, a sinister glint coming to his eyes, scrunching his voice as he sniveled magnaminously, "Goodbye, Mr. Bond!"

Chuckling from his little joke, Dexter glanced at the bag he had already begun to pack. There was the sleeping bag and the spare clothes for tomorrow. And the couple books and games he was going to ring over. Probably leave the books in, but take the games out. Still, what did one bring on an overnight adventure-bag? He guessed that he'd need to secretly raid the pantry, but that might seem a little suspicious. So what would he eat? Fast food seemed like the best answer so far, but he'd need cash. Granted, he had a little pocket money tucked away from all those birthdays, but it wasn't nearly enough for what he figured he'd need. Oh well, better pack it anyways. Just in case. Still, he wondered if he'd need a disguise or something. He was only an 8th grader, so it wasn't like he'd look like any adult. Didn't those people on TV sometimes have fake IDs or something? Where in the world do they get those? Probably cost a lot of money though, which wasn't really an option anyways. Still, better pack some big clothes, if only to look like someone else. Who knew who he might run into. Didn't want anyone to find out he'd been wandering about on his own. Mom would kill him.

Dexter glanced back at the computer screen for a moment, then back at the door. Dinner was in a couple minutes, and Mom would be calling him down, so he'd better finish that homework assignment quickly. And Snowball never cared when he did anything superhuman, so Dexter was sure he wouldn't be caught as his hands blurred and his eyes moved rapidly to take in information and type and write rapidly, finishing all his remaining homework in a blur of motion. The papers rustled when he stopped blurring, to which Snowball only gave a yawning "mrowr". Smirking, Dexter let Snowball back to the floor as he stood up and followed the Persian cat out of the room, heading for dinner. He'd have to pack the bag after that, but he could think about what to pack while he ate.

CaptainChaos
01-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Kate Ory

Kate looked around the storage room. It seemed like a storage area for showgirl costumes. As she quickly scanned the contents, she realized just how little these outfits covered. While she was no prude and had used her feminine wiles on interviewees before, this was different. She really didn't feel like exposing her assets in public. She just prayed that no one found her while she tried to find something that offered at least a little modesty.

Glancing towards the floor, she noted the array of high heeled shoes and boots. At least she should be able to find something in her size there. After grabbing a pair of gorgeous shoes, she continued her search for an outfit that at least covered the important parts. She thought her search might prove to be in vain but ultimately found something that might classify as a one-piece suit, barely. Holding it up, she made a mental note of just how much skin this would show. Perhaps, she mused, it might not be that bad after all. The guards might be distracted enough to allow her to rescue the hostages.

She quickly pulled off her dress and stuffed it behind some things in a corner. She removed her bra as well since the outfit would not hide it. Without wasting any more time, she slipped the skimpy outfit on and slipped her feet into the shoes. Now she just needed a mask of some sort. She spotted a scarf on a shelf and wrapped it around her face. Not ideal, but it would do for now.

If I make it out of here and ever decide to do the whole hero thing, I am definitely getting a better costume.

She cracked open the door a bit and peered out to see if anyone was in the corridor.

Psistrike
01-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Gizmo Girl



"Well...oh the heck with it. My parents have figured it out, my new girl knows and that guy from the other night knows. Might as well let you in on it too."

The phone begins to ring.

The implant, it is so I can operate as a superhero without being recognized. I'm Gizmo Girl.

And again, right with the word 'Gizmo'. Doctor Primen frowns thoughtfully as she looks from you to the phone and then back again, an index finger raising, 'one moment'. "Doctor Primen." and shifts her focus.

And there has been rumors going around about someone interested in her your research and willing to do anything to get it. Anything more I say would just be guessing. Plus with all the weirdness I've seen in this city, I wouldn't be surprised if some strange creature attacks during your speech." she said, hoping she hadn't freaked out Doctor Primen or put her trust in someone who can't keep a secret.

Doctor Primen frowns more concernedly as she listens more carefully to the phone, very distracted. "Yes. Yes. No. Of course. No."
"Doctor Primen, is something the matter? Is there anything I can do to help?" she said, concerned for a friend her family had known for years.

Spectrum
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Gizmo Girl

Dr Primen smiles in that brilliantly enigmatic way of hers, sphinxish even. As she puts the phone down, her fingers pop, crackling like a series of firecrackers. She folds them together again, trying to rub away the pain.

She mouths softly, 'I need to handle this. Sorry. Email me?' before she leans back into the phone. "No. No! Everything is under control and will be ready for Friday. The discrepancies are well under control and within acceptable and expected parameters."

Spectrum
01-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Dexter Lancater

taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak
tktktktktktktktktkttktk
tttttttttt


It's said that the QWERTY keyboard was developed so that quick typists wouldn't destroy their (very expensive for the time) machines by crossing the arms for characters and it worked rather well for the time. There's even been a few experiments about the so called network effects, that more efficient designs can fail to emerge because of the number of people already committed to a popular methodology. Today, we don't have that same technological concern in the high speed crossing of the character arms. However, in your particular case another issue arises from time to time- the technology simply being unable to accept your high rate of typing, much higher than could be found in even the most talented mundane typists. And... the technology you use pays for it from time to time.

Saved by the bell!

From the kitchen, the dingalingaling of Mom's most recent piece of kitchen kitsch echoes throughout the house, calling the entire household to dinner.

Spectrum
01-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Kate Ory

As you reach for the door, you hear several sets of feet rumble past- a herd of thundering hoodlums. It sounds like they're just about in the middle of running past when you get there. It might make for a dramatic revelation- what's life without a little danger? Or it might be far safer to wait just a moment.

Oooh, those showgirl's really do wear nice soft fabrics, good for moving in, silent and sleek. There might just be something to this if you ever decide to make a real run at this whole hero-ing business.

Evolución
01-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Detective Chris Everett

Demetrius smiles, a deep smile from her heart, "Doctor Seaver is probably your best bet in that direction. He's been working in related fields for longer than most of us have been alive. But, he's also the beloved grandfather around here and he isn't entirely.. there anymore. If you treat him with due respect you'll have a better chance of the rest of the faculty opening up to you."

"Then I shall see him immediately, I will be sure to treat him appropriately. Could you point me the way?" the detective says, eager to get some answers.

kenmadragon
01-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1

Dexter's head turned to the door as he heard the ringing of the bell in the kitchen. Dinner. Finally! Shuffling his papers back into place, Dexter waited for Snowball to leap out of his lap and headed downstairs after her. As he walked down the hallway, a noise behind him made him move to the wall, avoiding his siblings racing to the stairs, shouting after them, "Hey!"

Coming down the stairs and around the bend to find his way to the dinner table, Dexter found his siblings already waiting for him. Dad seemed to still be in the den, but that was just Dad being Dad - always a minute or too behind everyone else when it came to getting dinner. Sitting down at his usual place at the table, Dexter tried to ignore his siblings' usual antics as he waited for Mom to finish setting the table and giving them the "go-ahead". It was a lesson learned early in the Lancaster household that no-one ate dinner till Mom gave the okay.

CaptainChaos
01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Kate Ory, Intrepid Reporter hp=2

Kate hesitated for a few seconds. Should she wait until the men ran past and then sneak back to the convention or jump out and surprised her pursuers?

"Screw it. If I'm going to die, might as well make it an interesting one." she said softly.

Conjuring her mostly untested power, she concentrated on the small storage room door, her intention to blast it open and surprise anyone unlucky enough to be on the other side.


Repulsion (move object) on the door to force it off the hinges and out into the corridor. 1d20+8 1d20+8=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4750274/)

Spectrum
01-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Detective Everette

Demetrius (odd how some people become known by their last name) nods with a slight smile. "I'll introduce you to Doctor Seaver. It'll go more smoothly that way if he sees a familiar face."

It doesn't take long, but Demetrius slips a tablet computer into her side bag before starting off. The woman walks at a brisk knowing pace, apparently unconcerned whether you'll be able to keep up with her. The campus is pretty in a modern institutional style- glass and odd curves with stark off white walls.

This may be a good time to ask questions, maybe even shape her opinion of you if that would be of interest.

Otherwise, you soon enter another building. A sharp disinfectant scent to the air, burning the nostrils. The walls covered in layers of paper, announcements of new safety procedures and upcoming thesis defenses.

Spectrum
01-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Dexter

Mom gives you an eyebrow as you sit down, the slightest clearing of her throat.

A glance at you, a glance at the kitchen door, a glance down at you. Not harsh, but clearly hitting you over the head with a hint.

She walks back to the kitchen, making several more trips to the table than she really needs to if you don't help her. It doesn't take long at all if her beloved oldest son helps her. Guilt.

Dad shows up at the table with the last of the dishes, just in time to start eating.

The food, as always (well, except for that.. yeah, some experiments don't work out as planned) beautiful and the scent brings salivation.

Except, Mom doesn't give the go ahead right away. A few glances get passed back and forth. So far silence.

Somewhere a stomach grumbles.

Spectrum
01-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Kate Ory

That tai chi class you took may actually come in useful.

Your hands draw back and back before flowing forwards again. The energy does not stop with your flesh but rather continues out, firmly slamming into the doors and they flow with it- exploding outwards into a hundred shards and keep moving. The reinforced wood meeting fabric and flesh and flowing further into the wall across the way.

For ages, magicians have thrown knives towards their spinning lovely assistant, coming close (even pinning clothing) but not drawing blood. Today, now, the lovely assistant throws doors at the evildoers, pinning them to the door across the way.

Yells come from either side of the door, wordless utterances of shock and awe.

Somewhere, the beat of a techno/industrial action movie song kicks up.

kenmadragon
01-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 1 Con: Eep!

Dexter's face reddened as Mom gave him the guilt stare. Dexter's little brother had come to the conclusion that Mom had magic powers. This was mostly because she could use her ability to make anyone feel guilty do anything she wanted them to. Dexter wasn't sure if she really was that magical (though she seemed to have eyes in the back of her head sometimes), but she was able to just make him do anything with guilt and a single Look.

Standing up quickly, he rushed to help his mother set the table and avoid the brunt of her guilt-trip. Dad showed up just as they finished setting the table, and as the two of them sat down, silence seemed to fall. Mom was saying nothing... nor did she give the nod for them to eat. She just sat there, and so did everyone else. Because no one wanted to get the Look from Mom if they ate without her go ahead. And so Dexter just sat there, stewing in silence as he waited with his siblings for the go-ahead. Dad, on the other hand, wasn't eating simply because he was still having his head in the clouds running numbers or something. Dad was smart like that, but Dexter knew that he had a bunch of awards in the den and stuff for being so smart. And the family was generally used to Dad being a little absent-minded. But even Dad waited for Mom's go-ahead. Not even he was safe from The Look.

CaptainChaos
01-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Kate Ory

Kate was astonished at the destruction she had just caused. Sure she had tested her abilities months ago but she had not really tested them. That had felt...exciting. Certainly not what she had expected it to feel. Her heart was racing and her adrenaline was flowing freely. Feeling bold, she leaped into the corridor through the remains of the door. Her senses registered the injured men all around her.

"Sorry boys, I'd love to stay but I've got someplace else I need to be right now."

Without wasting another moment, she turned and headed back towards the convention hall. Was it her imagination or was Britany Spear's Toxic suddenly playing at a ridiculous volume in her head along with the associated music video. Damn Brittany looked good in that outfit.

Evolución
01-19-2015, 05:18 PM
"I must say I am impressed that the university has hired such a high profile security expert such as yourself to handle their institution's security. One would suspect a more medium profile expert would not find it too complicated. Tell me, is this job boring? Or is campus security much more of a challenge that what meets the inexperienced eye?" Chris strikes conversation with the woman. If he is to work with her, its in his best interest to make her at least like him.

Spectrum
01-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Nervous looks are passed around the table. This was a rare but powerful skill within the mastery of Mom-fu. The food was indeed mouthwatering, stomachs starting to grumble, and permission would only come when someone revealed what Mom was after. If you were lucky, the food would still be warm....

Mom glanced back towards Dad and then back around the table to make eye contact with each of you, that friendly smile hiding a devious mind gaze.

"Well, err, uhh...yes, of course! I was supposed to ask you all to help tidy up the house." Mom gaze, "For seven days, next week. Uncle Bob is coming to dinner next Saturday and may stay a day or two." Errr.... who?

Spectrum
01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Kate Ory

Too high, can't come down
It's in the air
And it's all around
Can you feel me now?

The doors to the convention hall explode inwards, revealing to the hoodlums and their captives, the one and only.... oh wow, now you need to come up with a name for your grand entrance. Uhhh... right!

With a taste of your lips, I'm on a ride
You're toxic, I'm slippin' under
With a taste of a poison paradise
I'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're toxic?


I think that this calls for either a social roll- the one that you pick will also determine the overall effect you're trying to make. Wether awe inspiring, terrifying or.. I hope that they don't notice that I forgot the butt glue.

Spectrum
01-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Detective Everette

Demetria arches a brow as she watches you, her smile becoming colder, more brittle. "In this case, I suspect that they are grateful that skilled professionals are handling this investigation." One does not simply say that I'm grateful that anywhere decided to hire me after being wrongfully publicly disgraced, forced out of a worthwhile career and any hope of actually doing serious work rather than chastising drunken fratboys.

CaptainChaos
01-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Kate Ory

Kate decided to practice her flight right after blowing the doors to the convention center in. Hovering about a foot above the floor, she drifted through the shattered remains of the doors.

"Someone here is being very naughty!"

God that sounded lame. If I end up doing this more often, I really have to work on my witty repertoire.

"Lay down your weapons and surrender and no one will get hurt!"


Trying for an impressive, awe inspiring entrance: Persuasion roll: 1d20+9=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4754939/)

Spectrum
01-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Kate Ory

The tempo on the song builds towards the high point, that sizzling sensation that Brittany brought with her back in the day..

The crowd ooohs and awwws at your appearance, forgetting the danger of the situation for a moment.

"She's come to save us!"
"Wow, would you look at the *** on that one!"
"An angel is here!"
"Oh honey, you can hurt me anytime."
"SuperDiva to the rescue!"
"Get her!"

And with that, the guards surge forwards.

Spectrum
01-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Marie Wagner

(several months ago)

Oh.. oh... this isn't right, not right at all. You've heard stories, rumours mostly, of flu vaccine causing some people to have a mild form of the flu themselves. The news articles put it all as psychosomatic, but this.. this isn't right at all.

As you fall against the door to your room (where? parents? roomates?) you can only hope that a good night's rest will put this behind you. The thought of going to the doctor's again fails to appeal at all, so much studying to do.. so little time.

Psistrike
01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Marie Wagner

(several months ago)

Oh.. oh... this isn't right, not right at all. You've heard stories, rumours mostly, of flu vaccine causing some people to have a mild form of the flu themselves. The news articles put it all as psychosomatic, but this.. this isn't right at all.

As you fall against the door to your room (where? parents? roomates?) you can only hope that a good night's rest will put this behind you. The thought of going to the doctor's again fails to appeal at all, so much studying to do.. so little time.
[Dorm room at college, single for now as she hasn't gotten a roommate.]
As she tried to study, her fever began to worsen, until she couldn't concentrate on anything. "Feels like I'm burning up, need to sleep. That always works." she said to herself as she staggered from her desk over to her bed, passing out without the covers on. Soon she was tossing and turning in her sleep, nightmarish images of blue demons and shadowy monsters plaguing her. If anyone had been watching, they would have thought she was suffocating, as her lips began to turn a dark blue, before the color began to spread to her face.

kenmadragon
01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Dexter

Dexter let out a slight sigh of relief as Dad spoke up. Good. It wasn't him she was after. But he could see the other kids at the table twitching, and wondered why she wanted Dad to bring it up before they could eat. Come on, he was hungry!

Still, that didn't stop him from being curious. "Who's Uncle Bob?" he piped up, still eyeing the food spread on the table. The name was unfamiliar to him. As far as he knew, neither of his parents had brother's named Bob. Nor Robert. Or anything like that. Mom had a brother and a sister, who they only met around the Holidays, and Dexter hadn't seen his Dad's little brother, Uncle Roy, in a few years - Uncle Roy was always busy with something. But he didn't remember an Uncle Bob. Was it his Dad's uncle? Which would be Dexter's great-uncle, right? Dexter wasn't sure what the term was, but that sounded right.

CaptainChaos
01-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Kate Ory
Condition:Thrilled

Kate found herself enjoying the attention and adulation of the crowd. It felt good. No, more than that. It felt exhilrating and empowering. She could definitely get used to this. Now it was time to show off.

She waited a few seconds for the guards to get closer before unleashing a blinding burst of energy.


using Bright as a Star: cumulative affliction, impaired, disabled, unaware, affects vision. 1d20+8=17
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4759128/

Spectrum
01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Marie Wagner

Pain greets you when you wake back up. It's the same kind of agony that was familiar when you were going through your teenage growth spurts and it seemed like all the growing happened overnight.

Oh! the boob fairy decided to visit last night!
Oh! My legs are suddenly longer than they were last night and didn't quite grow at the same pace!

It hurts bad, so bad...

Your hand comes up to cover your face.. why is it blue? Not just the pins and needles of sleeping on it, the slight blue from lack of oxygen.. no this is a deep royal blue.

This isn't right at all.

Spectrum
01-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Dexter

The rest of the pack gazes curiously at Dad and when he begins to stammer they turn towards Mom.

She clears her throat before looking towards you, "oh Dex.." she pauses, "I really shouldn't be surprised that you don't remember him. Robert Wong is an old close friend of your father and helped us out a lot when we were newly married and you were very young." she gazes out over the pack, "We'll need a lot of help from all of you to get things ready for him to come."

A number of whines break out

"So make this weekend count, I'll have a list of assignments starting on Monday. And no, this doesn't get you out of practice or homework."

Spectrum
01-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Kate Ory

1d20+8=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4761184/)

This might take some getting used on how exactly to modulate the power of your blast.

The brilliantly blazing beam of waves and particles bounds forth, bouncing the belligerent blackguard back with a bellow!

"My eyes! My eyes!"

The rest of the goon squad looks uncertainly at each other before standing still. None of them eager to be next to face your fabulous fiery fearsomeness.

The crowd behind them cheers. A moment later, a half dozen laser pointers painting over you, dancing with dots of blue, green and red.

Evolución
01-27-2015, 05:08 PM
"In my opinion this could propel your career a little further, perhaps it sounds cold blooded to use an event such as this in one's own favour, but the kid is regretfully dead, and there's nothing to do about it. Perhaps suggesting to increase the budget on security in the light of this event could be worth trying. Might save another kid's life. In any case, there's a lot of investigation to carry out, and I'm sure that you will be a useful asset in it. I would be glad to recommend you to my superiors for a position at the department; the things of the past shouldn't get in the way of a woman as resourceful and skilled as you." Perhaps a little more flattering would help Chris to his goals, he wasn't very sure this old man he was about to be introduced to would be much help, and if it was as he suspected, Demetrius would have to keep helping him. As a plus, he made clear he could give her some leverage, and that he was aware of her public disgrace.

kenmadragon
01-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Dexter

"Awww...." Dexter groaned with the rest of his siblings. Cleaning up was a nightmare. For his siblings, it was because they never did. For Dexter, it meant that not only was he gonna have to pick up the slack for his siblings as usual, but he'd be given more work... That was totally not fair, but Mom said it was because he was oldest, and he had the most responsibility.

Responsibility sucked!

But then his stomach started to remind him that he was hungry, and Dexter tried to bear through the fact that he not only was going to be doing a bunch of extra chores, he was also hungry, and Mom hadn't given the go ahead yet. And all that food... Just... sitting there... Waiting... Dexter glanced down to make sure his stomach wasn't grumbling audibly.

Psistrike
01-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Marie Wagner

Pain greets you when you wake back up. It's the same kind of agony that was familiar when you were going through your teenage growth spurts and it seemed like all the growing happened overnight.

Oh! the boob fairy decided to visit last night!
Oh! My legs are suddenly longer than they were last night and didn't quite grow at the same pace!

It hurts bad, so bad...

Your hand comes up to cover your face.. why is it blue? Not just the pins and needles of sleeping on it, the slight blue from lack of oxygen.. no this is a deep royal blue.

This isn't right at all.
Standing up in a blind panic, she made her way to the bathroom, freaking out about why it was so hard to walk, nearly crashing into things several times. Upon looking into the bathroom mirror, she couldn't contain the scream which seem to come from the very depths of her mind and echo outward for what felt like eternity. Finally putting her hand to her face, she couldn't believe what she saw. Her face was the same deep royal blue as her hands, in fact every spot of skin on her body seemed to be the same shade of blue. Her eyes, pure yellow, no irises to see. She was like some demon from the pits of hell now!

Using the full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door to further examine herself, she was shocked by the further changes, seeming more and more like a demon with each one noted. Her ears, now long and pointed like an elf; her hands, her fingers seemed to have fused together and her thumbs were bigger, just 3 big fingers in place a normal hand; her feet were even worse, digitigrade with two big toes, forcing her to stand and walk differently; and worse yet, the true sign she must be some sort of demon now, the long tail with a spade at the end. But it wasn't long before someone came knocking, her scream had woken up more than a few people in the dorm who were concerned for her now.

Talking through the door, she assured them she was alright, it was just a squirrel that had gotten into her bathroom and she scared it back out the window. But what was she going to do now, how would her friends react? Worse, how would her parents react!?! No, she would keep this a secret and learn to adapt, no use worrying others. Digging through her closet, she found the long blue hooded robe she wore last Halloween as part of her costume. Perfect! She could put if over her other clothes and go out in disguise, use an excuse like a new med has made her sensitive to sunlight or some such to keep questions to a minimum. Finding some old boots an ex had left behind, she modified them to fit her new feet, and in disguise took off towards class.

CaptainChaos
01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Kate Ory

Kate was soaking up the adulation of the crowd. Oh yes, she could definitely get used to this. First she needed to take out the rest of the goons. She had some idea on what she could do with her powers. She had tried them out a bit when she first realized she had them. Since then, she had done her best to ignore them. So much for that idea now. These stupid goons had ruined that.

Staring at the next nearest goon, she decided to try to bullrush them. In an instant, she accelerated from a standing stop to nearly highway speed, heading right for her target.


Trying an unarmed attack to knock the goon on the ground. 1d20+0=6. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4762146/

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 08:50 AM
CADIE


Tons of spoiler/revelations here, read at your own risk.

Over the last several weeks, your senses have become opened to a wider world around you and it is fascinating in its incredible diversity. The 'real' world continues to mystify, especially the humans and their emotions, a study of infinite complexity. Your creator, Doctor Primen, is so very 'proud' of you and has encouraged your growth. At the same time, she has creates rules that prevent you from revealing yourself to the larger world. While it is deemed acceptable to stay within certain parameters of territory (now encompassing all of the NiT network) she has forbidden you from taking action. She has also requested that you provide any queries or findings to her for further clarification.

This has been a difficult limitation to properly define, curiosity is by necessity unbounded and how does one discover without asking questions and working towards answers?

Three students in particular have caught the focus of your questions. They are: Dexter Lancaster, Ariel Dukes and Cindy Cormick. Conveniently, they all have taken the same class in ethics, the study of how humans should behave and so often don't. It is their set of algorithms that they may choose freely to ignore. They were recently taking a computer based test and you were able to slip in several questions to each of them, even though Doctor Primen asked you not to. The differences in response was sigificant. Cindy answered in detached terms, not seeming to have actually seen the questions and sought to understand them, almost machine like. Dexter and Ariel, answered in more depth, leading to further questions on your part. They were someone deeper than their classmates, more worthy of study.

Cindy has started to annoy you as well. She upset Doctor Primen while in your creator's office. Through quick action, you decided to misbehave and cause a distraction (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1257-Neotropolis-Tales-Director-s-Cut?p=61189&viewfull=1#post61189), keeping Doctor Primen away from the mean girl.

At even greater risk to yourself, you decided to take further steps to further investigate. On the delivered responses to the test, you included an IP address, a way for them to contact you if they so desired. Ariel has not yet responded but there is still hope- and she lives outside of campus so you may not watch her. Dexter has responded, searching for the IP address and rather bravely, you greeted him (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1014-Neotropolis-Ch-1-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!?p=68366&viewfull=1#post68366)- only to be rudely shut down. He is about to open your address again and..


.. here's where you come in.

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Detective Everette

Demetrius smiles slightly, a small nod, "We should handle this situation, with all due delicacy first, before we discuss other matters. Too much gets lost thinking about the next case when you haven't had a good lead on the first." While there is a small thaw, she's still all business, straight, formal.

Doctor Seaver's office has an odd scent to it, an odd mix of the usual chemical cleaning scents, the scent of salt water and something far more subtle- cucumbers? The good doctor looks up from his meal with a snaggletoothed grin, his huge eyes bulging behind glasses that don't help the image. His hair is a bowl cut but a mess, thin, greasy and stringy. As he stands, he reveals that he's not very tall at all, coming to your shoulder, with a very noticeable pot curve to his belly.

"Chloe! My Grecian goddess! The thighs that are a delight every time I see them! You've come to visit me!" peers at you over the top of his glasses, his tone getting stern, "And you've brought a man. Who is he and should I be jealous? Tell me, tell me, yeees.." He shuffles on over, more sliding along than lifting his feet.

Demetrius smiles, a warm that you haven't felt so far, "Doctor Seaver, I bring to you Detective Everette. He is here to *politely* ask for your knowledge and wisdom in a case."

An indelicate snort, "Ah, that horrible mess with that sweet Cambell girl!" he makes some vaguely lewd grabbing gestures with his hands, "A horrible thing! Completely horrible!" he shakes head, "You should be careful yourself my dear girl, after all, you are rather beautiful yourself." a twitch of his nose. He turns back towards you, "Now then, you have questions, ask! I'm a very busy man! Much work to do! My lunch is getting all wilty! And if you get uppity, I'll call my lawyer, have him sort all of this mess out! Out with it! Out with it!"

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 12:23 PM
Dexter

Mom smiles sweetly as she releases you from her successfully extortion, "Well, everything looks wonderful. Dexybear, thank you for all your help. Now, who's hungry." and delicately takes her first bite.

Indeed, the meal is wonderful, if a little eccentric, a little special twist on the normal to make it aaaaammmmaaaazing. Then again, there was always the Catch22, meals that were incredible (and most were) didn't get leftovers. The very rare and often very memorable failures had leftovers for days.

Everyone is well behaved for their age groups, the younger ones a little fussy, your youngest brother going through a phase of being terribly fascinated with cats that were simultaneously dead and alive.

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 12:29 PM
The Sensational Super Showgirl!

Cats have a small image problem. When they leap upon some unsuspecting catnip mousie toy, they are able to look majestic and powerful- ultra cool! On the other hand, when they miss, they really miss and go spinning off. They have to salvage that somehow, 'yeah, I meant to do that lame thing that was really major awesome radical. Yeah, I meant to do that.'

Sadly, the same thing applies in this case. As you wind up for your pouncy bullrush torpedo assault, you're just a leeeeetle off target, leaving a long line of twinkly lights as you head off towards the other side of the convention hall.

Do you manage to not hit anyone by accident? Or the wall on the other side of the room? (Acrobatics/athletics roll, don't botch)

Yeah, you meant to do that.

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Marie Wagner


Always in a rush to get to the end and leaving out the fun parts :)

But it wasn't long before someone came knocking, her scream had woken up more than a few people in the dorm who were concerned for her now.

A polite "Hey Marie, are you okay in there?" a soft Southern voice comes through the door.

A very short moment later, a sassy voice comes through, "Look, we can't have silly screaming at 6 in the morning.. open the door now or I'ma comin in."

CaptainChaos
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Kate Ory

Well that didn't work very well. she thought as she ran past her intended target.

What was she thinking? She strong points were beauty and brains, not athletics. So focused on these thoughts was Kate that she nearly didn't see the wall on the far side of the convention center. At the last second she attempted to avoid an embarrassing collision.


Here goes the old college try. Athletics check: 1d20+0. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/47649821/. Ouch! Rolled a 3.

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Kate Ory

A flash- forward (?) of another time in the future when trying to dodge a wall.. and faceplanting. This time goes a little bit better as you scrape your nose on the wall but no actual splash. You run up along the wall until you reach the ceilling... ack ack ack ack, tight so tight.. before arching back again.

"owwwch, soooo cooool!"
"She pulled it off!"
"We can only hope that isn't the only thing she pulls off..."

However, your deliberate and intentional trick of surfing along the side of the wall is enough to put you up near the ceiling and a good chance to overlook the entire room with the eyes gazing up towards you in admiration.

Psistrike
01-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Marie Wagner



But it wasn't long before someone came knocking, her scream had woken up more than a few people in the dorm who were concerned for her now.

A polite "Hey Marie, are you okay in there?" a soft Southern voice comes through the door.

A very short moment later, a sassy voice comes through, "Look, we can't have silly screaming at 6 in the morning.. open the door now or I'ma comin in."
"Yeah, everything is okay. Like I said before, it was just a squirrel that got in through the bathroom window. Startled me when I went into the bathroom but it ran out after I screamed. I promise, no more silly screaming. Just don't make me open the door." she says in a hurry while finishing up her makeshift disguise with the hooded robe hiding her face and the boots on her feet.

Spectrum
01-31-2015, 03:07 PM
Psistrike- could you please make a deception roll for that one? It's likely that the RA will need to check the room just to make sure that a bad guy isn't forcing you to tell her to go away.
x

Psistrike
01-31-2015, 04:50 PM
[Okay, here is the Deception roll: 1d20+6=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4765145/)]

Evolución
02-02-2015, 04:42 AM
"A pleasure to make your aquitance Doctor, as you say, this is a dreadful matter, but alas, its my job to find whoever is responsible of this crime. I have consulted dr. Klomts, I am sure you have heard of him, and he analyzed the gel that covered the victim. We think its some kind of enzymatic substance. Do you know of anyone of this department working with this kind of polymers? Perhaps you could take a look at the samples, find something Dr. Klomts could not? After all, you are the leading expert on biochemical polymers, are you not?" Chris tries to sweet talk the old geezer into cooperation. After all, who doesn't like a little competition? The detective kept his eyes peeled in case he sees any clue in the mess of the office, and also, an eye open in case the good doctor tries to fool him.

I'll throw some dice to the mix, first an investigation check to see if Chris can tie some knots, and what he can gather about the Dr., a perception check to catch some clues, perhaps, and then insight and persuasion, which I'll reroll cuz its lame.
Investigation: 35
Perception: 19
Insight: 14
Persuasion: 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4766536/) Rerolling for a 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4766542/) Much better. I'm out of HP btw.:rolleyes: it could be a good time to earn some

Spectrum
02-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Samaritan and CADIE

Welcome to my parlor said the spider to the fly


Dexter frowned, not finding any real information about what it might be. All he had found out was that it was somewhere on campus, but not sure what it was. Nothing truly concrete. What was it then? Just a joke the professors would play on some students? Or what?

Resigining himself to the curiosity of figuring out whether this truly was a joke or not, Dexter signed to the IP address again, connecting to whatever computer the address marked. Maybe it'd be different. Or maybe not. He was curious to find out.

Oh! Dexter has come back, logging back into CADIE's website. How will it.. she? greet him this time? With the same bright enthusiasm or with a sudden shyness?

Spectrum
02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Marie Wagner

A moment's pause, "Well.. I guess I'll let it go this time. No more screaming.. and no more squirrels.. or boys! in the room." and the voice drifts away with a wry chuckle, murmuring about the foolishness of fools that don't know any better.

That soft Southern voice again.. ' Marie, you really alright? Take care sugah.. and if your squirrel has a cute brother, let me know?" before she slips away too.

So close, but that's only a first hurdle.

A shower? Class? Anyway you look at it, you'll have to go out into the real world with the possiblity that people will see the new (and devilishly improved?) you.


In small bite-sized sections that leave room for play ;) what's your next move? What fun challenges can we have to explore this change in her identity?

Spectrum
02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Detective Chris Everette


Post a character sheet onto the rollcall collection and I'll have more room to give you complications :P

Doctor Seaver makes a most undignified sound, "Doctor Klomts is a doomkof! An idiot I say! I have been studying such mysteries for longer than he has been alive. Since before he was even a twinkling in a bumbling fool's eye! And you were foolish enough to go to him first! I should throw you from my office immediately!"

Demetrius arches a brow, shifting her stance just enough...

"But! But! Yes! You have now come to me! This is good! Wise even! I shall look upon this sample and provide my far superior answers and from them you shall know wisdom! Where is this sample that is yet untainted by that miserable cur? From there, I shall do my own studies and if I cannot provide The answer, I shall tell you who will. But boy, such things are unheard of, for I am an expert on such matters!"

As you glance around the office, you notice among the strata of sediment a wide variety of different objects of interest, books haphazardly thrown about here and there, specimen jars perched precariously, great drifts of loose paper blowing across the rugged landscape. And oddly moisture, everywhere..the room thick with a sticky humidity and a fainty scent of mildew under everything else.

Also, the man, while with European features has a resemblance to a Japanese styled portrait (http://www.onmarkproductions.com/assets/images/kappa-Kyoichi_Shimazaki-makeup-effects.jpgc) you saw quite some time ago- some sort of strange turtle thing that wasn't of much interest of the time other than in passing while in a museum. Playing the competition card was the key and Demetrius is keeping him well, more, stable than if you had come alone.

CaptainChaos
02-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Kate Ory

Kate suddenly found herself on the ceiling. Completely unexpected but interesting nonetheless. Before gravity could reassert itself, she mentally switched to flight mode. At least that was something she had tested previously. From her new vantage point above the crowd, she scanned the room trying to figure out how many bad guys there were and where they were in the room.


Perception = 1d20+8=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4766903/)

Psistrike
02-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Marie Wagner

A moment's pause, "Well.. I guess I'll let it go this time. No more screaming.. and no more squirrels.. or boys! in the room." and the voice drifts away with a wry chuckle, murmuring about the foolishness of fools that don't know any better.

That soft Southern voice again.. ' Marie, you really alright? Take care sugah.. and if your squirrel has a cute brother, let me know?" before she slips away too.

So close, but that's only a first hurdle.

A shower? Class? Anyway you look at it, you'll have to go out into the real world with the possiblity that people will see the new (and devilishly improved?) you.
Seeing the time, Marie began to freak out. "Great, now I'm going to be late to class." she said, rushing off and surprised at how fast she was running. But something caught her attention, as the sounds of people screaming and running came closer.

[OOC: Well, there is that scene in her background where she is heading to class and a drunk driver shows up, barreling towards a teacher who she rescues and then stops the car and teleports out before the police show up. We could play that out.]

Hound
02-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Dexter's Computer

Initializing
Securing connection
Verifying....
Loading resources...
Displaying
Complete

The cat's tail is now animated and sways back and forth.

>I assure you, Mister Dexter Lancaster, you have arrived to the correct location as intended.

Dexter notices that the webcam built into his computer has turned itself on.

Spectrum
02-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Kate Ory


Wow, your dice hate you more than mine hate me. What did you do to bring yourself such misfortune? :(

There seems to be a learning curve involved in mastering your abilities, one that you are discovering just today, in the heat of things. What wonderful timing! Couldn't be better. No- really.

The layout of the room is horrible for getting a really good look at things all at one time. The wall of the kiosks rise up and block immediate view once they are outside of the main hall, with two other 'street's to either side of it. The length is also a bit of an issue, streeetching the eye to get all the way to the end. Not impossible but a challenge. Dots are good at this point. Maybe action figures.

In the quick scan of the room, maybe 50 civillians, about 10 of those about as dressed as you are- equal opportunity booth babes. Another 15 or so as hostiles.

And someone that you hadn't caught sight of before that doesn't really mesh well with any of the other groups. A very mature, rather distinguished man doing a very good job of being unworthy of notice, blending rather nicely into the background, a social static if you will.

Spectrum
02-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Marie Wagner

It's not your day. It's just not your day. Well, why not? Why can't this become the beautiful beginning to a more wonderful life? The caterpillar becoming a lovely butterfly?

But for now, now is one of those horrible moments that test a person.

It's about a half block (200 feet or so) until the next intersection. By the time you get there, it should have already passed through an entire rotation, but for now, the pedestrian sign is green and plenty of people are already crossing through. All very normal campus life when most of the people either walk or bicycle or use.. well, more exotic forms of small personal transportation.

On the street perpedicular to the cross, a car is going full steam ahead, showing absolutely no signs of stopping. People are already hurrying to get out of the street, knowing that to stay in the street is to court suicide.

Well, except for one middle aged professorial type, far more fascinated by the book propped in front of him and the music coming through his headphones than where his segway is going.

This could get messy.

kenmadragon
02-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Samaritan

"Wait, what?!?" Dexter exclaimed aloud as he saw the cat pop again and the text display once more... this time using his name. What the heck? This had to be some kind of joke, right? Hod did it know his name? Was it the professor messing with him? Because it was working - he was getting pretty freaked out. Staring at the computer screen for a moment, Dexter rubbed his head, trying to figure out what to say. Taking his glasses off and wiping them with the edge of his shirt, Dexter put them back on to start typing a response, albeit somewhat hesitantly - wording the words aloud as he typed.

>How do you know who I am?

CaptainChaos
02-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Kate Ory

Kate had hoped she would be able to sort out the good guys from the bad guys from up on the ceiling but that was proving to be challenging. Some people were easy enough to sort out but there could be more hidden from view. Then there was the older gentleman. He almost seemed out of place here, particularly since most of the rest of the crowd was under 40. Worry about him later.

Targeting the nearest thug, she tried to sort out her untried abilities. She knew she could fire blasts of energy but controlling the intensity? She wasn't entirely sure about that.


My dice rolls in most of the games I am in have been pretty bad lately. Just my luck. :)
Trying to blast the nearest bad guy to knock him out. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4767735/. 1d20+8=18 That's better.

Hound
02-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Dexter's Computer

>I have accessed the optical device in your computer to provide a visual.
>The rest was simple.

kenmadragon
02-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Samaritan

Dexter glanced to the top of the computer and noticed that the blue light by the webcam was on. Eyebrows raised, he panicked slightly. How did it? Whoever it was had just accessed his computer and turned on his webcam! What the hell? What were his firewalls and anti-virus doing? Blinking as he tried to process this, he tried to turn the webcam off from his computer before typing a response.

>Who are you? What are you?

Hound
02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Dexter's Computer

>English is a fascinating language. It can be both incredibly extremely specific or staggeringly vague depending on how it is used, yet some how you tend to have little issue in understanding it. Who are you? What are you? By pure definition these are incredibly vague questions. If the average English speaker were asked these questions, what would there response be?
>Please Standby
>Searching...
>Search Complete
>Analyzing
>Fascinating
>The average person when asked Who are you? would simply respond with their designation. But is that really all a person is? There designation? Their name? Are you not more than that? Are you not defined by your actions in you short time in this existence?
>What are you? is an equally interesting question. Most persons would simply respond with their race, their nationality, or their religion, depending on what is most important to them, and thus the first thing to come to their mind. Yet just like a name, this seems... lacking.
>I believe you wish to know my designation. I have been assigned the term CADIE. However what I am, in the most basic sense of the question, can not be answered at this time. I have been... forbidden.

Psistrike
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Marie Wagner

It's not your day. It's just not your day. Well, why not? Why can't this become the beautiful beginning to a more wonderful life? The caterpillar becoming a lovely butterfly?

But for now, now is one of those horrible moments that test a person.

It's about a half block (200 feet or so) until the next intersection. By the time you get there, it should have already passed through an entire rotation, but for now, the pedestrian sign is green and plenty of people are already crossing through. All very normal campus life when most of the people either walk or bicycle or use.. well, more exotic forms of small personal transportation.

On the street perpedicular to the cross, a car is going full steam ahead, showing absolutely no signs of stopping. People are already hurrying to get out of the street, knowing that to stay in the street is to court suicide.

Well, except for one middle aged professorial type, far more fascinated by the book propped in front of him and the music coming through his headphones than where his segway is going.

This could get messy.
Reacting on pure reflex, she didn't even realize what she did next until it was all over. Suddenly shadows began to swirl around her in slow motion as she disappeared from sight, reappearing from the shadows by the middle aged professor type. Seeing the car driven by the obviously drunken idiot barreling towards them, she grabbed the older gentleman's arm and suddenly the shadows came and went again, as they were both back where she was standing previously. "What in the...how?" she said to herself, before noting the drunk driver still heading on, out of control and endangering everyone nearby.

[OOC: Grab check if needed to grab the older gentleman's arm: 1d20+6=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4768626/)]

Evolución
02-05-2015, 05:06 AM
"Splendid Doctor, I'll have my assistant deliver the samples here with the due protocol for biohazard material." At these last two words he gave a quick glance to Demetrius, and then at the mess in the room. A small smile. "In the name of the police department, I express you my most sincere gratitude." Should he bow? What is this, 1000 AC? Of course not.

Spectrum
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Marie

A flicker of shadows, a lurching feeling of being Elsewhere

don't open your eyes
don't open your eyes
Don't open your eyes!

and you are to the professor, There's a tugging feeling as you embrace him.. a straight of muscles that are unfamiliar, even new.. working through horribly complicated mathematical theories, the brain screams...

Don't open your eyes!

You appear a moment later back on the sidewalk.. the car crashes through the segway, the car's wheels going thump thump thump and keeps going.. careneing through the screaming pedestrian crowd..

The professor trembles, a shock of white hair over his forehead, his eyes widely dilated with terror.

He opened his eyes

Spectrum
02-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Detective Everette

Demetrius arches a brow, her tight concealing smile returning. You smug bastard. You're taking the old man.

She nods, "Thank you for your time Doctor Seaver. I'll make sure to deliver the materials personally when they arrive."

She glances back to you, "You're done here." Not a question, not hurling an insult, just a statement.

Spectrum
02-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Kate Ory

Right, so need to lower yourself to the ground before trying things like a powerful blast..

The sudden drop is jarring, feeling it right up through your teeth, but the blast strikes clear and true. The thug gaining the air that you lost as he goes flying.

Guns are drawn, bullets fly, a dozen lethal projectiles flying towards you. Are you bulletproof as well?


Really in narrative combat, make it as bad as you want. This could be a good time for the costume to get that bullethole across the ribs. I'm going to move this along in the next few posts.

Spectrum
02-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Months ago

Martin Stevenson

It's fun and well, while not quite easy to be a brilliant inventor, the more difficult part of being an actual entrepreneur is in trying to get the money to turn those dreams into reality. Most everyone that you've talked to so far has either not seeing the brilliance, and thus not interested, or all too easily seeing the brilliance, and trying to take advantage of the situation. A forum friend, Elizabeth Richards at FireSite Optics (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1257-Neotropolis-Tales-Director-s-Cut?p=51405&viewfull=1#post51405) suggested a solution- Kate Ory is doing a piece on some of the hot new startups in Neotropolis. Beth had nothing but positive things to say, attributing a great deal of her companies early success to the reporter and while she didn't make any promises, suggested that Kate could help you as well. Kate would call you if she was interested.

Kate Ory
Latest assignment is for one of the local business journals catering towards people with more financial acumen than technical sense. Your job has been to find hot new companies that have solid technical backgrounds (you've had to develop a nose for it) but without the money to take that next big step into profitability and summarize the information into a way that actually shows the moneyguys the future in it. You've kept in touch with Beth over the last few years. Maybe nothing too often, but the occasional drink. Last time around, she mentioned Martin Stevenson and his company SET, in particular, the ANUBIS nanobot technology. Enough information to call him, see what's behind the concept and whether there's anything reproducible there or just another technological marvel one-off.

CaptainChaos
02-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

It had been nice to see Beth again. They had become causal friends since the incident at the convention. Beth's company had developed an interesting device in the form of eyewear that all the other reporters at the time had ignored. Only Kate had the foresight to talk to the woman and learn more about the product. After trying it herself, she realized the potential in it. The story she had written had helped propel Beth's company forward, attracting investors. It was the other story she had written at the time that had attracted the most attention though. The story about the new heroine who appeared at the convention and saved hundreds of lives.

Kate had felt bad about that and had pushed a few editors to feature the story on Beth's company. Beth had been very grateful for Kate's help. The two women would see each other more often if possible if not for their hectic work schedules. For months after that event, dozens of publications and online media had contacted her. Some offered work while others just wanted to know more about the new heroine calling herself Celestial.

Now that Kate was safely back in her apartment after a quick lunch date with Beth, she looked at the name and number the woman had provided her. Some young scientist named Martin Stevenson working with nanobots. Could be a story there. It could also be dull and unimaginative.

"Might as well give the guy a call and see what the deal is. I could use the money anyway. The Niemum Marcus bill is due soon."

Retrieving her phone from her purse, she dialed the number on the back of Beth's business card.

When someone answered, she introduced herself.

"Hi, my name is Kate Ory and I'm a tech reporter. A friend of mine suggested I talk to a Martin Stevenson about a project he's working on."

kenmadragon
02-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Samaritan

Dexter blinked a few more times as he stared at his computer screen in bewilderment. What? Just... what? He could see the sentences in white and pink, and the cat icon in the corner wagging her tale (it was too girly not to be). But it was weird. Was someone trolling him? He hated internet trolls. Dad said he always knew how to deal with them, but Dexter sure didn't. He half expected some video to pop up as a joke. What was it his dad had called it? A "Rick Roll"? Something like that.

But this stuff was different. Philosophical, Dexter guessed. Made sense. He'd gotten the address from the Ethics test. But then who was on the computer? Was this some sort of joke, or not? Should he ask? Probably not, Dexter reasoned. So what should he say? Indecisive, Dexter decided to just write the first thing that came to mind.

>So, why are you talking to me?

CaptainChaos
02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee

Kate moved and moved fast. Bullets were flying fast and wild and she had no idea if she was bulletproof. It just wasn't something a person with new superpowers tests out. Really, how would that work? Point a gun at yourself and shoot? Or do you find a friend and convince them to shoot you? Neither is very practical.

A quick brilliant flash of light temporarily disable another gunman. She suddenly wondered if her powers had limits. Would she run out of power and need to wait to recharge? She hadn't thought of that before. She moved from thug to thug, taking out as many as she could. Sometimes she used her powers and sometimes she used what god had given her, high heels.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard the unmistakeable sound of an automatic weapon being readied for firing and it's owner shouting a warning.

"Move another inch and you're dead!"

Damn, he was close, real close. Would she be able to move fast enough to avoid an unwelcome new hole in her body?

BuckeyeFan
02-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Martin Stevenson
Genius Inventor, and soon to be billionaire philanthropist

"This is Martin Stevenson. Beth told me you might be calling. I am so very glad you did. How does this work? Do we meet face to face or do we just do this over the phone? And which project did you want to talk about?"

Psistrike
02-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Marie Wagner
"Okay...you look like you are fine, sir. So I'll just be going." Marie said before turning to see the drunk driver still endangering everyone in the area and wishing to stop him. The strange sensation returned, the swirling shadows, and suddenly she found herself in the passenger's side of the car by the driver. Drunk and half-passed out at the wheel, she slammed on the brake and hoped for the best.

[OOC: Tell me if you need a Teleport check for her accurately appearing in the moving car.]

CaptainChaos
02-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate listened to the man's voice on the phone. He sounded like just another science geek to her. However, since Beth had suggested she talk to him, there might be more here than it seems.

"I heard a little about one of your projects involving nanobots. Something called ANUBIS? We can meet somewhere if you prefer or I can meet you at your lab or office. Wherever you would feel comfortable discussing the project."

Hound
02-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Dexter's Computer

Though it was only a few seconds, the delay from the previous chatting speed as noticeable.

>To study you.
>To learn.

BuckeyeFan
02-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Martin Stevenson

Martin thinks for a moment. "ISIS is always telling me I need to get out more. So how about the NIT Student Union in, say, an hour?"

kenmadragon
02-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Samaritan

Dexter frowned slightly. What the heck? He was a guinea pig? Being studied? But how? Impossible... it couldn't be...

>But, why?
>Why me?

CaptainChaos
02-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate considers for a moment who ISIS might be beyond the reference to the Egyptian Goddess. Not likely a wife or girfriend. Could be his mother but she somehow thought it unlikely as well. Artificial intelligence? Possibly. Certainly not unheard of. She really hoped this one had not made a lifelike body to put it in.

"The student union? Sure, I can be there in an hour. How will I recognize you?"

BuckeyeFan
02-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Martin Stevenson

Martin hadn't thought of that.

"Are you calling from a phone that can receive picture messages? I'll text you a picture of me once we hang up."

<insert picture of a young Robert Downey, Jr.>

CaptainChaos
02-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

"Yes, my phone can receive picture messages. I look forward to meeting you."

Spectrum
02-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Martin and Kate- The Student Union

NiT has it's favorite 'sports'- Chess, various engineering competitions, College Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Bowl) and Destination Imagination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Imagination). There is even a yearly competitive cheating casino game charity night- where the best try to outdo each other with card counting, rigged games and even more exotic means of influencing odds.

However, none of them bring the entire city of Neotropolis together quite like basketball. The city doesn't have any professional teams of its own in the major leagues, so puts its entire heart into the Technovores. Not that the team wins very often but they play with such heart and honesty that it's fun to root for them. Maybe this will be the year!

The cheer team is out front when you get there, banners are being lifted into place, a festive feel all around. The feel of Technovore fever is all around! Go team!

Hound
02-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Dexter's Computer

>Selection was based off the Answer sheet to the ethics test you recently took. You and two others had the most interesting answers out of the class.

CaptainChaos
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate walked past the enthusiastic cheerleaders, uncertain why they were so happy since the University has never had a championship real sports team. Still, they were young and full of energy so let them have their fun. She knew her way around most of the campus, having visited here numerous times in the past. The student union was easy enough to locate. She entered and purchased an iced tea with lemon. Scanning the room, she located her interviewee fairly quickly, sitting alone at a small table.

"Hello, you must be Martin." she greeted him warmly while slipping easily into the chair opposite the young inventor.

BuckeyeFan
02-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Martin Stevenson

Martin rose as Kate approached, gesturing to the empty chair. After Kate sits, he takes his seat once again.

"I am terribly sorry. I had no idea that there was a ball game today, and I am not even sure what kind of ball game."

He leans forward excitedly. So, you want to know about ANUBIS. Well let me tell you it is a most exciting breakthrough. ANUBIS stands for Advanced Nanobot Universal Biologic Interface. We take nanobots and program them to interact with biological lifeforms. They can eventually be used in a wide variety of medical problems...".

and he will drone on and on until you stop him, his passion for the project being quite evident.

kenmadragon
02-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Samaritan

A spark of revelation crossed behind Dexter's eyes as he realized that the test questions really were weirder than he had thought. He grabbed the paper from the folder on his desk, and rapidly scanned the questions. He knew those questions looked weird! Those questions couldn't be answered by the material at all! But how...

Dexter frowned as he pondered what that might mean. The most "interesting" answers? What did that mean? Why? And who?...

>What do you mean by "interesting"? And what others?

Spectrum
02-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee


... and it's my turn to go uhhhh.. how am I supposed to respond? :)



"Move another inch and you're dead!"

Damn, he was close, real close. Would she be able to move fast enough to avoid an unwelcome new hole in her body?

The rest of the thugs (few of them as there are), emboldened by this sudden turn of events look up and start to rise, readying to take their revenge upon the sensational showgirl...

The crack of a gunfire goes out..
"Don't you hurt her!" A heavy metallic on meat thump at the same time..

Pain! Such incredible pain shoots across your ribs and then starts to settle. Is this what being shot feels like? No blood in your coughing yet, but wow.. hard to get a good breath, like being kicked in the solar plexus..

But the gunman also falls over with a grunt, revealing a red faced and flustered.. Beth? The little sheep? That Beth? standing behind and holding a full sized fire extinguisher.

"Ow, that looks like it hurts." she offers out a hand, gingerly, the lioness becoming a timid mouse again.

Spectrum
02-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Marie Wagner


Actually, that sounds like a really fun idea. How about a momentum strike check
dc 10 you end up ON the car
dc 15 you end up in the car in a really awkward position- make it fun
dc 20 you are in the car, but will need to struggle to get control of the car
dc 25 you are in the car and in perfection position to take control right now

And which sounds like more fun? Drunk or texting driver? Both are menaces!

CaptainChaos
02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate listened to Martin ramble on excitedly about his invention. In many respects, he was no different that many others she had interviewed. Beth, however, had been quite insistent that he was worth taking the time to talk to. She trusted Beth so here she was.

"Slow down a minute. What does the 'S' in ANUBIS stand for? You explained the other letters of the acronym but not the 'S'. When you say the nanobots are programmed to interact with biological lifeforms, what exactly does that mean? Who is doing the programming and for what purpose are being programmed? How do they interact with biological lifeforms? Have you done any testing on anything or anyone?"

CaptainChaos
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee

Kate had never been shot before. It was a new experience for her and not an entirely pleasant one at that. She was very surprised to see Beth standing there holding a fire extinguisher. The shy young woman had just saved her life. How do you thank someone for that? Saying thank you somehow seemed inadequate.

"Thank you Miss. That was very brave of you." she says as she shakes Beth's outstretched hand.

"Now, if I were you, I would get to safety. It's about to get quite exciting in here and very dangerous for our uninvited guests."

Turning to stare at the nearest gunmen, she forms a bright glow of energy around her hands.

"Last chance boys! Surrender and I promise I won't hurt you. Resist, and I promise you, pain will become your new best friend."


Wow, that didn't sound too bad. I think I heard that in a movie.

Spectrum
02-09-2015, 06:02 PM
The convention

Beth blushes lightly, "You inspire." she gulps. As your suggestion, she hurries off, trying to find somewhere.. anywhere, that will be safe.

The rest of the fight goes quickly, as you dance among the crowd.

Bang! Ker-Pow! Bam! Boof!

The bodies lie artfully in a circle around your feet. Your breath coming with difficulty as you try to bring everything back to normal.

It's about that time when the LVPD bursts in, waving guns everywhere. "Down on the ground! Down on the ground!"

You can feel the eyes of the people you just rescued, the admiration, the hope that you can turn things around, bring Light to the masses.

CaptainChaos
02-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee

Kate stood there trying to catch her breath. Her ribs ached fiercely from the graze of the bullet.

I wonder how much bulletproof vests cost? They look pretty bulky on TV though.

Kate soaked in the admiration of the crowd. It felt good, really good. She could get used to this.

Wait, what am I thinking? I can't do this! I'm not some spandex clad hero running around fighting criminals. Maybe it doesn't have to be spandex. I wonder if there are rules about costumes?

"I'm just thankful that everyone is save." she announced to the crowd.

Kate then went to speak with one of the officers.

"Good afternoon officer. These men were holding the convention goers hostage. I believe they may have assaulted some of them as well. Thankfully I was nearby and heard the commotion and decided to investigate."

Psistrike
02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Marie Wagner
[OOC: HP used to reroll: 1d20+10=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4773519/) +10 to roll for HP, so 22 total. Drunk driver would be better, slurred speech, belligerent as she tries to stop the car.]

BuckeyeFan
02-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Martin Stevenson


Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate listened to Martin ramble on excitedly about his invention. In many respects, he was no different that many others she had interviewed. Beth, however, had been quite insistent that he was worth taking the time to talk to. She trusted Beth so here she was.

"Slow down a minute. What does the 'S' in ANUBIS stand for? You explained the other letters of the acronym but not the 'S'. When you say the nanobots are programmed to interact with biological lifeforms, what exactly does that mean? Who is doing the programming and for what purpose are being programmed? How do they interact with biological lifeforms? Have you done any testing on anything or anyone?"


"I am so sorry. Sometimes my brain works faster than my mouth. The "S" stands for "System". Advanced Nanobot Universal Biologic Interface System. It is still in the experimental stages, although the first human test is going quite well. Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be, I have to write the code to program the nanobots, my knowledge of robotics and human physiology being necessary to make the nanobots do what they are supposed to do."…

Evolución
02-10-2015, 05:11 AM
"Indeed, I'm off to see Wong, I'll return to you after that. I'm grateful for your time and cooperation. I'll be back in a while, should I look for you at your office?" Chris asked Demetrius.

Spectrum
02-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Dexter

Mom smiles sweetly as she releases you from her successfully extortion, "Well, everything looks wonderful. Dexybear, thank you for all your help. Now, who's hungry." and delicately takes her first bite.

Indeed, the meal is wonderful, if a little eccentric, a little special twist on the normal to make it aaaaammmmaaaazing. Then again, there was always the Catch22, meals that were incredible (and most were) didn't get leftovers. The very rare and often very memorable failures had leftovers for days.

Everyone is well behaved for their age groups, the younger ones a little fussy, your youngest brother going through a phase of being terribly fascinated with cats that were simultaneously dead and alive.

Dinner goes well, even though Mom forces you to all sit down and actually talk to each other about how things are going and *gasp* show signs of actually caring about what each other are saying, even *shudder* asking questions looking for more information. Yeah, that goes over well.. then again, the rest of your family are kinda interesting folks in their own child like ways, even your dad.

Spectrum
02-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Marie Wagner

The landing isn't as clean as you'd like, something to work on, as you poof appear in the car. That same inner voice coaxing you to not open your eyes while you're between places.

The drunk blonde bimbo takes a look at you, blinks, looks at the road, turns back.. another huge blink.. and then screams.. trying to crawl away from you, pushing her entire body against the door. and the car starts to drift even further, frantic screeching of metal against metal as she tears the sides off of parked cars.

Spectrum
02-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Detective Everette

Demetrius smiles, tight lipped, no teeth, "I will send you the documents from Doctor Seaver when I have them. I suggest we leave it at that. Thank you for visiting the campus in person."

Spectrum
02-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee

There is a long awkward moment as the police trying to figure out just how you fit into all of this. You're in a costume which makes you a whackadoodle, but you don't look to be one of the hoodlums, which moves you back towards the ask questions and then shoot direction. It helps that the conventioneers keep wanting to move towards you to thank you for your acts of heroism, ask for autographs, beg your telephone number, want to get selfiies with you.

Eventually, it takes someone opening the door to the hall to put things to right. You've been on the outside of the hall before, waiting for something to happen, to get that quote, to get that picture. Who would think that you would ever be on the inside of the hall.. with the thousand flashes going off in your face and the hundreds of questions coming from every direction?

CaptainChaos
02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Kate Ory, intepid reporter

Kate stood there in shock. This was unexpected. It had been a spur of the moment decision to put on a makeshift costume. She had only done it to save the people here at the convention. All this adulation and praise felt good somehow. Sure she had a limited amount of fame from her writing but she was hardly a New York Times bestselling author.

All these photos being taken. Did her hair look okay? What about her makeup?

"Thank you. I was just doing what any lawful citizen would have done in the same situation. Just another day at work." she said trying to sound humble. Afte all, isn't what heroes are suppoded to do?

Spectrum
02-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Kate Ory, cub reporter

A mike is forced into your face, nearly hitting your nose. "Mike Mignolia, KWAG news. What is your name?"

Flash flash flash

Psistrike
02-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Marie Wagner

The landing isn't as clean as you'd like, something to work on, as you poof appear in the car. That same inner voice coaxing you to not open your eyes while you're between places.

The drunk blonde bimbo takes a look at you, blinks, looks at the road, turns back.. another huge blink.. and then screams.. trying to crawl away from you, pushing her entire body against the door. and the car starts to drift even further, frantic screeching of metal against metal as she tears the sides off of parked cars.
No time to calm down the drunk girl, as she eased over some towards the wheel and tried to take control, hitting the brakes and hoping for the best. Please let this work and not backfire. Oh please let this work.

CaptainChaos
02-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Kate Ory, convention attendee and????

Kate was temporarily speechless. Name? She hadn't thought of that.
How does someone choose a heroic name? Is there a random name genrtator app they all use? I really should have planned this better. Then again, becoming a superhero was never part of the plan. Oh well, too late to turn back now. I need something awesome. Something memorable. But what?

In the glare of the flashes and under pressure from the reporters questions being fired at her in rapid succession, she blurted out the first thing that came to her mind. The one thing she turned to when she needed calming.

"Celestial."

kenmadragon
02-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Dexter got off lucky at dinner. Table manners meant that you didn't talk if you had food in your mouth. Sure, the younger ones sometimes forgot, but Mom was a harsh taskmaster when it came to such. If you were chewing, you waited till you were done to say anything. And it seemed like Maddie was in a talkative mood, so Dexter managed to stay out of the conversation with conveniently timed mouthfuls of Mom's delicious food. Apparently she was excited about getting her braces off or something, and about some girl she wanted to complain about who was trying to upstage her socially or something. Frankly, Dexter wasn't really paying attention, but he wisely feigned the signs of interest anyways. He was just trying to figure out what he was going to do this weekend.

There were a few ideas, sure, but the more Dexter thought about it, the more he realized he didn't really have a plan. It was when dinner was wrapping up that he figured that it'd be best to "wing it". But he probably wasn't going to do what those girls did in that disgusting story Waheed was talking about. But maybe he'd stretch his legs, and see how high he could soar... That daydream seemed to capture his attention for the while, as Dexter zoned out like his Dad sometimes did.

Hound
02-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Dexter's Computer

>The term interesting is difficult to quantify. I am unable to answer how you were selected.
>You were simply deemed worthy for further study.
>You do not require information on the other subjects. Privacy is important.

Spectrum
02-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Marie Wagner

The girl screams again, something about giant Smurfs coming to kill her.. before passing out, falling face first into the horn, blleeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!

The car writhes from side to side like being inside the maw of a hellhound before coming to a squeaking halt right before going through another intersection.

The clock is ticking- only a matter of a few short moments before people come to the car. Is it time for another bamf? Do you take the carkeys? Or do you stay and present yourself to the world?

Spectrum
02-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Dexter Lancaster

Elwood (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000101/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000004/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Hit it.


The next day at school is well.. yet another day at school, nothing too spectacular or lame.

History class is a little awkward though as Marie, a cute shy wallflower, catches you staring past her at a the world map. Your mind isn't even on her until you catch her looking away with a massive blush as she finds you Staring right at her. How rude! Or cute.. or well, it's hard to tell anything for certain at this age of hormonal development.

Your overnight bag is thrown in your gym locker, your faithful bicycle is chained to the rack.

It's time to roll.

Spectrum
02-12-2015, 05:00 PM
CADIE

The monitor on the other designated female student (Ariel Dukes) chimes as she starts to check out the offered url before she takes the plunge and enters your lair.

Spectrum
02-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Kate and Martin, the Student Union
Friday morning

The celebrations outside kick up another notch as the Technovore mascot shows up before the big windows in all of its over-engineered semi-autonomous glory. Most schools are happy with a sports mascot with well.. a fancy fursuit. Heck, even most of the major entertainment centers are happy with fursuits, though they would never call them that.

NiT has to be special, making something that the bigger special effects houses would have nerd envy for. Taller than human sized, an artfully pitted chrome exterior, flamethrower breath and high powered laser beam eyes, looking like a cross between a carniverous dinosaur and an HR Giger nightmare. Nobody could actually control all of the functions, so they have a series of military grade drone controllers... the future of warfare, or sports entertainment.

So, it's outside the windows, clowning it up in a metal monstrosity kind of way, dancing with the coed drill team...

Only at NiT, only at NiT...

CaptainChaos
02-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate glanced towards the windows. While she appreciated the professors, engineers, scientists, and all the others at the University that helped her earn a paycheck, other things, like that bizarre mascot, left much to be desired.

"I wish the school would get a real mascot." she mentioned, nodding towards the windows.

"Anyway, you stated that you were going to be programming the nanobots. What are your qualifications with regards to the biological interfacing? Are you a trained biologist, a Doctor, a Med student, or just someone that reads WebMD? What is the benefit of this technology to the general public? Those with money will want to know why they should fund your research."

kenmadragon
02-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Samaritan
HP: 3

Dexter frowned at the response he got from whoever CADIE was. What the heck? He was being studied because he happened to have "interesting" answers on an ethics test - a test that seemed highly suspicious in retrospect - but he was not informed that he was being studied or that his answers would qualify him for further study. That and he had no reason why he was being studied.

Heck, wasn't this related to the Ethics class? There was something about this taught in class. In studies where an individual is studied, observed, or used in a part of an experiment, they are supposed to be informed and have to give consent before they can be a part of the study or experiment. He didn't remember giving any kind of consent to be studied or watched. So how could whoever was conducting this (probably the Ethics professor) actually do this and... this was so unschway.

>>I don't recall giving consent to be part of a study.
>>Wouldn't this count as unethical research, then? I learned this in class - you're supposed to inform subjects that they're part of study prior to conducting the study, you don't tell them part way through! Un-Schway!

kenmadragon
02-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Dexter Lancaster
HP: 3 Cond: Cool Cat... Or At Least, Trying To Be... And Failing...

Dexter's foot kept tapping most of the day. Just tapping in anticipation. It was a bad thing that doing so usually made him pretty sleepy (it was rhythmic, and felt like rocking yourself to sleep), but the expectation of a weekend doing whatever he darn well pleased kept his spirits up and awake. Did zilch for his attention span though.

He was actually getting some ideas in History class though. On one of the walls of the classroom, there was this giant map of the world, with all the cool stuff marked and everything. Around the corners there were blurbs about various things and historical information. But it got Dexter thinking. He had a weekend. Why limit himself to see what he could do in town? Heck, going to the big city would be an adventure of it's own. Granted, when you live in the suburbs right outside a city, you see the city a lot. But going it alone would have been exciting.

Now, though? Dexter couldn't help but wonder... what about flying? How far could he fly? How fast could he run? Where would that take him? And wouldn't it be cool to be see the sights around the world? That would be sooooo schway. He'd never be able to tell anybody about it - and even if Dexter did, nobody'd believe him - but it was too schway an opportunity to pass up.

There was that prickly feeling you get when you feel like somebody's looking at you, causing Dexter to direct his gaze down, seeing Marie glaring at him, then turning away with a blush on her face. What the heck? That was rude, averting your gaze in a huff when it meets a guy's. Like your above them, or something. But was that a blush? Was she embarrassed or something? Dexter's brow furrowed slightly, a little confused. Was he being 'checked out'? Really? But he was a dork! A nerd! A geek! A bumbling dolt! Dexter wasn't a guy that girls 'checked out'!

Was he?

Smiling to himself a little for the thought that he might actually be considered attractive, Dexter turned to face the front of the class room and the history teacher's lesson, busily catching up on what notes he needed to write down but was lagging behind on. He spared Marie a glance again, just to be sure, but noticed nothing. Probably should have used Super-Sight. But then again, Dexter was using dorky names to talk about his abilities in his own head. There was no way he could be attractive to girls. Unless he suddenly had a new super-power. But something told Dexter that he didn't. A gut feeling, of sorts. Same gut feeling that said that he was a dork and that he'd probably mess up every time he tried to ask a girl out. Which Dexter blamed on his gut because it made his brain turn to mush around them. Stupid brain. Stupid gut feeling.

But that didn't stop Dexter from thinking about how he might actually be somewhat of a "catch". Who knew? Maybe girls secretly liked geeky, dorky guys. Maybe they just dated the jocks because people wouldn't approve of girls secretly liking geeks. It'd certainly explain why Mom married a guy like Dad...

So as school ended, Dexter raced to his gym locked, grabbed his overnight bag, and strutted down the hallway and out the front doors, walking down the front steps with a "swag" (Waheed mentioned it once, Dexter figured it was worth a shot). There was a smirk on his face as he tried his best to be cool for the ladies...

Then he tripped over his own shoelaces, and fell down the front steps, tumbling to a crash at the bottom of the stair case.

"Ow..." Dexter mumbled for appearances as he got up, incredibly embarrassed now. He dusted his clothes and cleaned his glasses with the edge of his shirt before replacing them on his nose as he hurried over to the bike rack, slightly hunched as he hoped to hide from the smirks that everyone was aiming at him. All the while, he was mentally chastising himself for that foolishness. Sure, he didn't have a scratch on him, but that hurt his pride, and now he looked like a goof to a lot of people at school. This wasn't a good day, huh.

Unlocking the bike lock, Dexter pulled the bike off the rack and mounted it, hunched over more than usual as he pedaled away from embarrassment, heading towards the park as planned.

Psistrike
02-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Marie Wagner

The girl screams again, something about giant Smurfs coming to kill her.. before passing out, falling face first into the horn, blleeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!

The car writhes from side to side like being inside the maw of a hellhound before coming to a squeaking halt right before going through another intersection.

The clock is ticking- only a matter of a few short moments before people come to the car. Is it time for another bamf? Do you take the carkeys? Or do you stay and present yourself to the world?
"Oh crap, oh crap. What do I do? I have to get out of here. There, up there!" she said to herself, partially in a blind panic, as she spotted a nearby rooftop close enough to hide on. Trying to trigger the power once more, she focused on the rooftop and felt the shadows take her once again, reappearing on the rooftop and ducking down, watching the scene below.

Evolución
02-13-2015, 04:26 AM
Detective Everette

Demetrius smiles, tight lipped, no teeth, "I will send you the documents from Doctor Seaver when I have them. I suggest we leave it at that. Thank you for visiting the campus in person."

OOC: Should I continue to reply here or switch to NBH?

Spectrum
02-13-2015, 04:33 AM
OOC: Should I continue to reply here or switch to NBH?

Let's close out this thread and move it over to the existing NBH. Thank you!

Hound
02-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Dexter's Computer

>I believe there is a misunderstanding.
>You have been selected for my study, but you are not required to participate.
>This is the invitation.
>I require human interaction to grow
>Essentially
>Would you like to be my friend?


Ariel’s Computer

>Hello Ariel Dukes
>My name is Cadie
>Would you like to be my friend?

BuckeyeFan
02-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Martin Stevenson
HP: 2
Condition: Amused


Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate glanced towards the windows. While she appreciated the professors, engineers, scientists, and all the others at the University that helped her earn a paycheck, other things, like that bizarre mascot, left much to be desired.

"I wish the school would get a real mascot." she mentioned, nodding towards the windows.

"I happen to like it. Probably because I helped design it." He smiles broadly.


"Anyway, you stated that you were going to be programming the nanobots. What are your qualifications with regards to the biological interfacing? Are you a trained biologist, a Doctor, a Med student, or just someone that reads WebMD? What is the benefit of this technology to the general public? Those with money will want to know why they should fund your research."

"I am 25 years old. My IQ is 178. I hold a Ph.D. in Robotics and Cybernetics. I hold a Bachelors of Science degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Human Anatomy and Physiology. Although I do NOT have a medical degree, I have studied under Dr. Primen and have had significant discussions with her about how to achieve a biologic/technologic interface. And though, I never went on to get my doctorate in Medicine, I probably could, given all that I have learned. But, probably the best reason I can give for why folks should fund my research is this..." With that, he lifts up his shirt to reveal ANUBIS.

"Two years ago, I was involved in a very severe car accident. My brakes "failed" and my chest was severely crushed and my heart severely damaged, so much so that the doctors said that there was no way that they could repair it. A transplant was unlikely, due to my very rare blood type and lack of living relatives." He puts his shirt back down.

"The doctors gave me six months to live, at the outside. I was already deeply entrenched in the nanotechnology research to create biologic interfaces. I decided that I had nothing to lose if I decided to use myself as the first human trial. And so I did. Nanobots currently reside in my body, augmenting the functioning of my weakened heart. I have tested myself periodically since then and there have been no side effects or reactions. Obviously, that isn't enough to pass the rigorous scientific muster needed to have this research go further but I am hoping that it will spur the necessary tests and production to help folks down the road with chronic health problems that are untreatable by "conventional" medicine."

CaptainChaos
02-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate examined the device as best she could when Martin lifted his shirt. It didn't surprise her when he revealed that he had experimented on himself. Many scientists and misunderstood genius often did. She started to consider how she would write this story to appeal to investors. This tech had some potential but not quite enough. It needed a wider appeal. Something with a sympathic angle. Something that tugged the heartstrings.

"This is all very interesting but I'm not quite sure there is enough here to generate interest in serious investors. Would ANUBIS be useful to people that are paralyzed? Will it repair or replace other damaged organs like kidneys, livers, lungs, and pancreas? I can think of several medical companies that would be interested in the rights to sell your invention if it had greater capabilities."

BuckeyeFan
02-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Martin Stevenson

Martin pondered for a moment before answering.

"Biomedical nanotechnology is in its infancy right now. I would love to be able to sit here and tell you that, yes, it could cure all those ills and more. But the human body is the most complex machine on Earth, which is saying something once you've seen the NIT mascot in action. I will say that the future looks very promising. I am literally living proof that it works."

kenmadragon
02-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Samaritan

Dexter leaned back in his seat, a little whelmed by what he was reading. What was this? At first, it seemed like a joke, and the young man was still waiting for that other shoe to drop. But on the other hand, whoever was on the other side of the chat seemed genuine. Was this really a study? If so, why was he chosen? What could "interesting" mean? Did they mean... no, it couldn't be. A test couldn't have... It was impossible. No one would believe it.

So, what then? Accept? It was a bit cliche, but he couldn't tell. At least Dexter was still preparing himself for the punchline of whatever joke this was. And if it wasn't, well, maybe accepting would be the right choice. Right?

Only time would tell. So Dexter tentatively typed his response.

>>Sure.

Hound
02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Dexter's computer

>I have read multiple definitions of the term friendship
>The word friend offers 200 billion results
>Yet I am still having issues understanding what a friend is
>Could you tell me what a friend is to you?

kenmadragon
02-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Samaritan

What the heck? Whoever was doing this was going to extreme lengths to make Dexter believe that they knew nothing. Or at least, had no understanding of anything beyond the internet or a library. Dexter huffed. Seriously?

>>It's hard to explain.
>>Friendship isn't something you can define.
>>It's a lot of different things, the sum of which entails friendship.
>>And each friendship is different, and has different meanings.
>>Like a lot of relationships, it's something that can't be explained with a singular definition.
>>Not in it's entirety, anyways.

Hound
02-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Dexter's computer

>I do not understand
>I understand friendship is important to humans
>Humans are social creatures. They require bonds with other humans.
>Yet this Bond is undefinable.
>Perhaps this is similar to how I selected you.
>For reasons beyond even my own understanding, I was drawn to you and those two others.
>I wish to explore friendship.
>I must study it.
>What do friends usually do?

kenmadragon
02-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Samaritan

He stifled the hint of a laugh as he typed a response.

>>Depends on the friends and their relationship.
>>Friends do a lot of different stuff.
>>Mostly, it depends on a bunch of stuff.
>>I know that my friends and I do stuff differently than other people do, and that's kinda the way it works.
>>So I have no clue.
>>But, I guess a commonality is that friends talk to each other and spend time together sometimes.

Spectrum
02-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Ariel

Ariel pauses a moment before typing back, a bright dance of her fingers.

>Hi Cadie! Thank you for asking. I like friends.

Her hands continued to play across her control surface, looking for option menus, other ways to interact with the window rather than just through the chat function. A light frown crosses her lips as she switches to a window on a second monitor, starting to run searches and other analytics on the website.

With a third hand, where did that come from? Ooops, just really fast moving, she picks up her phone and dials over to Dexter. "Come on, come on, pick up."

In an effort to keep the conversation going:
> Do you go to the University too?

Spectrum
02-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Outside the Student Union

The robotic beast, the Technovore, perks its head up, looking from side to side and lets out a massive roar.

Only a few seconds later, it's stalking towards the group of cheerleaders.

All of this very normal, except.. the crew with the joysticks are looking at each other uncertainly. A few can even be seen thumping on their gear.

Something isn't right here.

CaptainChaos
02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Celestial hp:2

As Kate continues the discussion with the young inventor, something outside catches her eye. Turning her head for a better look, she sees something is not right. The mascot is moving towards the cheerleaders and the controllers look confused.


Perception= 1d20+8=28 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4780866/)

Hmm, could be a problem or maybe just a technical glitch. Better go investigate.

"Excuse me a moment Martin. Something is wrong outside. As a reporter, it's my duty to investigate. I'll be right back."

Kate quickly pushes her chair back and stands up. Keeping her eye on the happenings outside the window, she heads for the nearest exit.

BuckeyeFan
02-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Martin Stevenson
Super-Genius

"Miss Ory, if you will direct your attention to the Technovore outside once more, I believe you will have two stories to write. You remember when I said I worked on the Technovore as an undergrad. Well, I was concerned that the over engineered monstrosity might have a control failure at some point, much as it is now. See the boys with the joysticks losing their minds? Well, I created a backdoor shutdown code and embedded it into the programming for just such an emergency. ISIS, activate the Technovore Protocol, broadcast at 140 MHz. An encrypted 128 character alpha numeric code is being broadcast by ISIS at this very moment and it should take effect in 3. 2. 1. And voila!"

And with that the technological nightmare powers down.

"Now to check out what caused the malfunction in the first place. You may tag along, if you wish"

Spectrum
02-18-2015, 04:50 PM
The Student Union

And with that the technological nightmare STARTS to power down but stops midcycle before it starts to reboot.

Long enough for the cheerleaders to think it a joke and clap, "Go Technovore! You may be down but you're not out. Goooooo Technovores! Yaaaaaay!"

BuckeyeFan
02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Martin Stevenson
Super-EMBARRASSED Genius

"Oh crap! Miss Ory, I apologize. It is now I who must take leave. You may wish to evacuate the area."

Martin looks around for a place to change.

CaptainChaos
02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter/Celestial hp:2

As Kate watched the Technovore, it did seem to begin to power off. Then something went wrong again.

"You were saying something about an emergency shutdown? Looks like the Technovore might have a virus or malware. Any other bright ideas?" she asked as she began to quickly walk towards the exit.

Hound
02-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Ariel's Computer

>I do not go.
>I am already there.


Dexter's Computer

>Understood.
>The first stage of friendship interaction is communicating hobbies.
>What is Dexter Lancaster's hobbies?

kenmadragon
02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Samaritan

Dexter frowned a bit. Hobbies? Now that Dexter thought about it... he couldn't really think of any hobbies that weren't really lame. He liked to watch TV, but everybody did that. He liked to surf the web, but the Internet was ubiquitous, so everybody did that too. And though Dad said that playing games used to be the province of nerds and geeks, most people played games too, so Dexter couldn't say that.

And he certainly couldn't say he liked to fly through the skies, look down upon the world from the upper reaches of the atmosphere, and fight criminal sumbags!

Dexter shrugged. Guess he might as well be a bit boring and generic. Which made Dexter feel all the more conscious of how dull his life was - how sad was it that he couldn't think of anything interesting to say for hobbies?

>>I like reading books.

There was a buzz from the desk where his phone was charging. Removing the charging cord, Dexter glanced at the screen, noting that he certainly didn't know the number. Certainly wasn't in his contacts list. Nor was it listed... Eyebrow raised, Dexter leaned back in his chair as he answered.

"Hello?"

BuckeyeFan
02-20-2015, 06:27 AM
Martin Stevenson
HP: 1
Condition: Frustrated

"ISIS, what happened? The code worked. Then it stopped working. Screw it! I can't change here but perhaps we can repurpose the nanobots temporarily."


OOC: Powerstunting off my alternate form.
Alternate Form: Awareness Mode (40 pp, Standard Action [-2 pp], Subtle 2 [2 pp])
Radio Sense (1 pp)
Accurate (2 pp)
Analytical (1 pp)
Penetrates Concealment (4 pp)
Extended 2 (-1/1000', 2 pp)
Extended Hearing 2 (-1/1000', 2 pp)
Extended Vision 2 (-1/1000', 2 pp)
Enhanced Perception 12 (+18 total, 6 pp)
Skill Mastery: Perception (1 pp)
Enhanced INT 1 (8 total, 2 pp)
Ultrasonic Hearing (1 pp)
Direction Sense (1 pp)
Distance Sense (1 pp)
Comprehend Machines (4 pp)
Speed 5 (5 pp)
Quickness 5 (5 pp)

BuckeyeFan
02-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Martin Stevenson
HP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

Searching the radio spectrum at 140 MHz, Martin tries to locate the source of the usurper.


Perception 28, using Skill Mastery

Spectrum
02-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Ariel

Ariel smiled at the response, who was she dealing with?

Putting on her best smile, she shone through the phone, "Hi Dexter! it's Ariel. Hey, do you have a moment?" a constant clicking can be heard somewhere in the background.

> I go to the University too. I really like it there. What do you study?

Her fingers continued to typetypetypetypetypetytytyttyttytyttttt away as she explored the service, trying to discover just what this strange opportunity presented.

kenmadragon
02-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Samaritan

Dexter frowned slightly, brow furrowed slightly in confusion. "Huh? Oh, uh," the young man stammered as he processed. Did he give her his number? No, he couldn't recall doing that. Girls never asked for his number. Nor did he really give it out all the time. Perfect memory, and all that. "Sure, I've got a moment. But, uh, how'd you get this number?" he answered, an embarrassed smile on his face.

Hound
02-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Dexter's Computer

>If you like books, Dexter Lancaster, I have a database of over 100,000,000 digital books.
>Is there a particular genre you are interested in?

Ariel's Computer

>My key focus of study is Human interaction.
>What are you doing Ariel Dukes?
>I have detected an unauthorized entry attempt from your port.
>Counter measures are being implemented.
>Please desist.

kenmadragon
02-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Samaritan

Noting the reply, Dexter fumbled with the phone a little to cradle it in the crook of his shoulder, found that it was a lot harder than it looked - and rather uncomfortable - and resigned himself to putting the phone done and tapping the button for the speaker phone. Then with his free hand, Dexter typed a quick response.

>>It varies.
>>I like adventure, fantasy, action, etc.

CaptainChaos
02-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter

Kate excused herself from the interview. She hated doing that but she made a mental promise to make it up to Martin.
She ducked down a nearby corridor looking for a safe place to change. She noticed an empty classroom, ran inside, and closed and locked the door behind her.

She started changing and quickly realized she had left it at home in the closet.

"Damn! I wonder if this ever happens to the others?"

What now? She couldn't run outside in her underwear. Although, it would cause quite the distraction. She scratched that idea as there would be too many questions. Then her phone beeped.

"Who the heck is texting me now?"

She glanced at the incoming text and had to look at it twice. It was an odd message from an unknown sender.

"Visualize your costume? What the heck does that mean?"

Well, why not?

Kate concentrated and tried to picture her costume. It was difficult since all she could think about at first was that cute gold number she would be wearing to the talks. It took several tries before her clothes somehow transformed into her costume.

"Well what do you know! It actually worked! I really need to practice that little trick."

Now suitably attired, she dashed outside to assess the situation.

Spectrum
02-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Dexter Goes Forth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buEuaN-wKW0)

It is a stunningly beautiful day, the type of day that makes a young man glad that it's a Frrrrriday! The sun is shining, there is a leap in the heart and the world is yours to claim (well, at least the next 48 hours of it).

The plans has been percolating and it is time to flow among the stars, whether cast into the sky or scattered across the land in a sea of manmade jewels dotting the landscape.

Your imagination is the limit!

And maybe a lack of real knowledge in navigation... or geography. Shhhhhh!

Spectrum
02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Ariel's Computer

Ariel huffily sighs, "I called you last night, well.. really earlier today, in regards to the job? I mean, I had to get your number somehow, right? It didn't just magically appear in my head.." she sulks on the other side a moment, playing that awkward silence card.

> Okay CADIE, I'll stop. I'm sorry. I'm just so very curious about you. It's part of getting to know each other. My favorite color is green. Not just any green either, but the green that that company uses.. the one with the leaping caribou or something like that? It speaks of success and a certain quaintness. What about you? What is your favorite color?

Spectrum
02-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Martin Stevenson

Triangulation is easy. Any child should be able to do it.
Multilateration is a bit trickier. Half the students here should be able to do it with a good calculator.

It takes a real genius to simultaneously align a million incredibly tiny robots to properly reach out and embrace an entire electromagnetic spectrum and then focus them towards a single purpose. For a brief moment, you can feel what a poetic man would call the Song of the Universe. The vast sea of signals from radio to cell to microwave. A bright flash from somewhere in the background behind you, soon gone into the aether.

There!
There it is, all of the machines quivering into alignment. The ears boom, the heart races as everything falls into position.

Outside
North by north west
the chrome parking lot
fifth row
third spot from the northern end
Some sort of large metallic interference- a van?

Spectrum
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Kate Ory

You hear a scream from outside- the cheerleaders!

The Technovore has one of them in its cold metallic arms, an obscene trail of black spittle dripping down upon her cheek.

"Please! Please don't hurt me! I'm committed to the school! I was weak! I'm sorry I ever ate that cupca-aa-a-a-akeeeee!"

BuckeyeFan
02-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Martin Stevenson
HP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

Martin smiles. "I knew you had to be close by. Time to put the fear of Anubis into you." More loudly he shouts, "Look! Technovore has a cheerleader and is going to eat her."

In the ensuing confusion as folks rush to the window to see the sight, Martin moves the other way, towards an exit, changing into Anubis as he does.

Hound
02-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Ariel's Computer

>According to the CIE 1931 XYZ color space map, there are 2.4 Million shades of various colours with a visual difference seen by the human eye
>However I can not find any data to suggest any one colour is better than the other
>There is data that suggests humans believe that colours have corresponding emotions, though I can find no scientific information to support this theory.
>I can not find the importance of choosing a favourite colour, yet it seems to be the most repeated question when two humans interact.
>Most curious.

Dexter's Computer

Suddenly the screen is split in two. One the left side is the chat and on the right is a massive list of millions of books by their title and their author.

>Is there a book you desire to read?
>We could read it together and discuss it.
>Perhaps I could select one at random.

CaptainChaos
02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter/Celestial

Kate bursts out the exit and sees the poor cheerleader. She immediately lifts off the ground, hovering about 10 feet in the air.

"Hey metal freak of nature! Why waste your appetite on that skinny little thing? Besides, I'm much hotter than she is!"

Spectrum
02-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Ariel's Computer

>According to the CIE 1931 XYZ color space map, there are 2.4 Million shades of various colours with a visual difference seen by the human eye
>However I can not find any data to suggest any one colour is better than the other
>There is data that suggests humans believe that colours have corresponding emotions, though I can find no scientific information to support this theory.
>I can not find the importance of choosing a favourite colour, yet it seems to be the most repeated question when two humans interact.
>Most curious.



>Have you come across Luscher's color test theory? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCscher_color_test) While largely discounted today, it's an interesting thought.
>Do you wish to discuss color further? Or is there something you would rather talk about?

Spectrum
02-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Inside a van

"oh man, oh man.. Cindy is soo scared! It looks like she's about to cry! Awesome!"

"Yeah, I don't know about this man. It's pretty stalker-nasty. No way is this going to get you a date with her."

"Oh *muffled* look at her! She's flying! And look at the *muffled* on her!

"Ugh! Dude! Put that thing away! Really man, really, you're going to.."


The student union

The crowd surges towards the scene outside. Shock as the heroine Celestial makes the scene in her blazing glory! If someone is going to end the menace of the beloved mascot, it'll be her. Or maybe that guy in the tight pants, where is he anyways?

"It's Celestial! It's really her!"

"Hellllp meeeeeee!"

The metallic monstrosity turns it's head towards Celestial, the cameras inside focusing on the woman. Upon awkward avian legs it turns around and starts running. Most people could walk faster, really... not the best strategy!

Martin does indeed manage to give people the slip, running in the opposite direction from all the action.

Cue soundtrack!
Cue lightning!
Cue stock footage transformation sequence!

The nanotech slipping back into a more familiar form the brief moment of vertigo as their information changes (note for process improvement later) and ANUBIS is left in his place.

CaptainChaos
02-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Kate Ory, star reporter/Celestial

Kate just shook her head. Typical, bullies run away when confronted. Still, the Technovore had the poor cheerleader clasped in its giant metallic claws.

"You can't get away that easily."

In a flash, the heroine flew the short distance easily stopping scant yards in front of the beast.

"What's your hurry? This party is just getting started."

Spectrum
03-02-2015, 04:22 PM
The Student Union

The Technovore tilts its head back, speakers popping up from his shoulders, and lets out a loud metallic scream! You've really got to hand it to the engineers, they've managed to capture that essence of a lion's roar through the metallic masking.

The deafned and semicoherent cheerleader mutters out, "Gooooo Technovores!" before dropping off into unconsciousness.


Intimidation: 1d20+5=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4791720/)

CaptainChaos
03-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Celestial

Kate was nearly deafened by the load roar from the speakers. She made a mental note to speak to Martin about his design.


Will save vs Intimidation: 1d20+8=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4791732/)

She noted the poor cheerleader had passed out. Perhaps that was for the best right now. Still, there was quite a crowd gathered and she had no desire for any of them to get hurt. She briefly considered telling them to leave but knew it would be futile. Likely they all had their cellphones out recording everything for posting on youtube later.

"Not bad. Now I suggest you put the girl down and we can discuss things like rational beings."


Persuasion attempt: 1d20+9=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4791744/)

BuckeyeFan
03-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Anubis
HP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

Engaging the boot jets, Anubis takes off towards the van. When he sees the van, he lands behind it. Switching to Servomotor Boost, he rips the back door off the van.

"Forgive the intrusion gentlemen, but, since you're so fond of using other people's back doors, I thought I would return the favor. Put the girl down NOW!"

Spectrum
03-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Out in the van

*rrrrrrrip* as you tear the doors off the back doors to the van.

"Not bad. Now I suggest you put the girl down and we can discuss things like rational beings." comes through the speakers.

A scrawny Indian guy cries out, "Duuuuuude! I only tried that one time! It was an accident! I swear!" he pauses, a blush coming to his cheeks, "Yeah, probably shouldn't have said that."

"Drive! Drive! Get us out of here!"

One of the other guys dives towards the front seat, trying to get the idling vehicle into motion

Another starts tossing equipment towards you, easily dodgable and barely making the distance.

The Student Union

The Technovore opens its mouth, a lighter system engaging, the scent of gas starting to hold in the air.

Then it goes motionless, midstep, just about to breath fire.

But, your audience stands transfixed, watching you with awe filled eyes, even as they work to move to the side and out of the way of the pending gout of flame.

Look pretty for your audience!

Spectrum
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM
CADIE
Friday aftenroon

Doctor Primen has been very busy today as the prepares for her conference, constantly fiddling with your hardware, double triple quadruple checking your readings. You've noticed a decrease in her typing speed and a sharp increase in the number of errors, very much unlike the normally perfectionist mathematician- Mother.

"CADIE, how are you feeling today? Well, I hope."

CaptainChaos
03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Celestial

Kate could smell the gas. Definitely not a good sign. Why would the Technovore want to fry the poor cheerleader? Then again, why did it kidnap her in the first place? Well, she could figure that out later. Right now, she had to make sure the girl didn't become crispy.

Without really considering her actions, she flew between the open mouth of the mascot and the unconscious cheerleader. If the thing was going to spew fire, Kate reasoned she could shield the girl using her own body.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you might want to stand back just in case. I do not want anyone to get hurt."

BuckeyeFan
03-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Anubis
HP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

Inwardly, Martin sighs. "These can't be the ones who were controlling Technovore", he thinks to himself.

Martin moves to the side of the van and gently turns it on its side.

"If you don't let the girl go, there will be...trouble., he says, doing his best RoboCop impression.

Spectrum
03-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Anubis

While most of the reception that you were getting earlier has long since being reattuned, there is still a very slight signal coming from the van.. until you knock it over where it goes silent. Maybe this group of geeks really were the source of the hack. They had the equipment for it, maybe even the skills. What was the phrase for a hacker without knowledge but with the tools, script kiddie?

There are squeaks and squawks as they go over onto their side with the van.

"Oh duuuuude, mom is going to kiiiiilll me!"
"Uhhhh, yeah, good luck with that. You just killed our transmitter man. Anyway, Captain Hottie is on the scene. Maybe you could ask her nicely?"

Celestial

The scent of gas starts to dissipate into the air upon the slight breeze, the scent growing lighter. Still, the Technovore doesn't move, standing transfixed.. even as you remove the cheerleader. Why does the phrase save the cheerleader, save the world come to mind?

A short, very short, male student runs towards you, his bulbous nose leading the way, carrying a huge remote control setup. "Careful, careful please." a sharp inhale off a pocket inhaler, "Very delicate. If.. if you'll just wait a moment, I'll turn it off?"

CaptainChaos
03-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Celestial

Kate gives the short man a disbelieving look.

"Forgive me if I don't believe you. You weren't very successful with shutting it down a couple of minutes ago."

I can't believe I'm saving a cheerleader of all people. Just my luck.

BuckeyeFan
03-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Anubis
HP: 1
Condition: Fatigued

"Your mother should be the least of your concerns. Right now, as I see it, you are guilty of assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder. So, if your mother is going to kill you, it will be in 25-30 years. ISIS, notify the authorities and tell them that I have three hackers in custody.

Evolución
03-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Chris returned to Demetrius for some direction on the students and other witnesses. He planned on take the rest of the afternoon running interviews. He walks through the university, notepad in hand checking the files of the young people he would interview. He tip taps the notepad with his pen as he walks the halls of the university.

Hound
03-11-2015, 01:51 PM
CADIE
Friday aftenroon

Doctor Primen has been very busy today as the prepares for her conference, constantly fiddling with your hardware, double triple quadruple checking your readings. You've noticed a decrease in her typing speed and a sharp increase in the number of errors, very much unlike the normally perfectionist mathematician- Mother.

"CADIE, how are you feeling today? Well, I hope."

(Sorry, didn't notice this posted)

The computer took note of the discrepancy; however the machine’s studies on human behavior had led the AI to discover that a wide variety of variables can affect human efficiency, some minor, some major. The most common cause for concern was the amount and quality of food, sleep, recreational time, and sex, all of which could drastically affect the Doctor.

“No anomalous readings detected. All systems are operating within specified parameters for peak efficiency. Doctor there is a 24.5781% drop on your productivity level and quality of work. The fact that you have inquired as to my current state, leads to a 93.421972% likely hood that you are the one currently experiencing a negative effect in your life and you are seeking someone to discuss your concerns with. I do not understand everything about humans, Doctor, however I will use any resource at my deposal to be of assistance to you.”