PDA

View Full Version : Shriek/Ogre Emissaries?

Deerobouros
10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
There are Hurlock mages, and there are Genlock mages... is there any good reason there couldn't be Shriek or Ogre Emissaries as well? They may actually make more sense than Genlock Emissaries, since dwarves can't be mages, and dwarves are what Genlocks are made from. Thoughts?

Darkdreamer
10-31-2014, 11:22 PM
I suspect neither shreiks nor ogres have the minds for it; notice neither of them tend to be much in the way of tool users.

vonpenguin
11-01-2014, 04:14 AM
I would think it has more to do with numbers, mages are rare, and Shrieks and Ogres are the rarest of the four darkspawn types by a significant margin, one or two may have surfaced over the long term but they either remain in the deep roads or were killed off screen by non pc wardens. And shrieks would certainly have the minds for it, they have specially built weapons to suit their strengths which they consciously coat with poison, one could say they are the most intelligent and methodical darkspawn. Ogres, the only reason I can see against it is that the are too angry and prone to raging to bother. Also remember magic isn't learned in Thedas, training refines it but an untrained mage will still do certain things instinctively.

Darkdreamer
11-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I would think it has more to do with numbers, mages are rare, and Shrieks and Ogres are the rarest of the four darkspawn types by a significant margin, one or two may have surfaced over the long term but they either remain in the deep roads or were killed off screen by non pc wardens. And shrieks would certainly have the minds for it, they have specially built weapons to suit their strengths which they consciously coat with poison, one could say they are the most intelligent and methodical darkspawn. Ogres, the only reason I can see against it is that the are too angry and prone to raging to bother. Also remember magic isn't learned in Thedas, training refines it but an untrained mage will still do certain things instinctively.

I don't recall ever seeing a shriek use weapons; all the ones I saw were fighting unarmed.

shonuff
11-01-2014, 10:13 AM
They have Wolverine-esque knives on their hands.

Darkdreamer
11-01-2014, 09:25 PM
They have Wolverine-esque knives on their hands.

Are you sure? Those simply appeared as claws to me.

Deerobouros
11-01-2014, 11:18 PM

That's a good thought. I agree that Shrieks could be intelligent enough to be emissaries, and even if Ogres are too stupid to be full on mages, there could be some born with some amount of latent magical ability.

vonpenguin
11-02-2014, 04:45 AM
Are you sure? Those simply appeared as claws to me.

If you look at the artwork it's quite easy to see that they wear bracers with long, jagged knives sticking forward form above the wrist. Plus I believe it is mentioned in the codex that they "coat their blades with poison made from their own tainted blood" or something to that effect.

Hellebore
11-04-2014, 02:45 PM
It is rather funny to think that the elven darkspawn are among the more bestial, while the dwarven darkspawn are more intelligent and capable.

The genlocks had the most variety of all the darkspawn - necromancers, assassins, archers, emissaries, forgemasters etc.

Which is one of the reasons I really don't like the redesign.

How do gorillalocks explain genlock assassins? How do those things sneak around?

Or has bioware retconned the entirety of Origins and Awakening so that genlocks never used bows, cast spells or snuck up on people?

Hellebore

shonuff
11-04-2014, 03:23 PM
They haven't been ret-conned. Genlock assassins are in The Last Flight.

Hellebore
11-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Gorilla assassins is a pretty hilarious image really :p

Hellebore