PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Strange casting

Nevius
10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-movie-cast-862815/

Looks like it is all but a lock for the Sorcerer Supreme to be played by none other than Khan-Noonien-Smaug-Holmes himself; Bandicoot Cabbagepatch. A fine actor and certainly a name-draw to nobody's favorite character, Dr. Strange. I guess Marvel is finally going full-on magic.

Let us consider this casting by coming up with funny permutations of his name.

Yeoman
10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-movie-cast-862815/

Looks like it is all but a lock for the Sorcerer Supreme to be played by none other than Khan-Noonien-Smaug-Holmes himself; Bandicoot Cabbagepatch. A fine actor and certainly a name-draw to nobody's favorite character, Dr. Strange. I guess Marvel is finally going full-on magic.

Let us consider this casting by coming up with funny permutations of his name.

I don't know... he's a good actor I guess. But... I don't know, I just can't see him rocking Strange's facial hair.

Could be me. I kinda turned on Cumberbatch after him being cast as Khan, which isn't in any way his fault, and not even the worst of Into Darkness' problems.

badpenny
10-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Mr. Cumberbatch's name does invite...tinkering....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGmMO0zbJo

Kyle
10-27-2014, 02:42 PM
This is the first time I've been completely baffled by one of the MCU casting choices. Cumberbatch is a fine actor, and I really enjoy him on 'Sherlock' -- well, not so much season three, but I don't think the problems there were his fault -- but there's nothing about his performances to make me think he'd be a good fit for Dr. Strange's personality, and he certainly doesn't have the right look.

Of course, it could be that the Stephen Strange of the MCU is going to be a departure from that of the comics, which would be fine, but Cumberbatch doing an American accent with Strange's moustache and white streaks sounds terrible.

badpenny
10-27-2014, 02:50 PM
I would have voted for Joachin Phoenix:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--QCo6Zhar--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/agckm9bz2jw0hs9lcthz.jpg

Nevius
10-27-2014, 03:58 PM
It's hard to argue with that concept art, but apparently the casting talks with Joachin Phoenix were all sound and fury signifying nothing.

kenmadragon
10-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Hmn. You've only listed what Cumberbatch is famous for - he's done a lot more as an actor as far as I've heard. Granted, I don't know much about him past those roles he was famous for, but who knows, it could put an interesting spin on the character.

I mean, one could imagine that Cumberbatch's depiction of Sherlock Holmes could be a pointer as to his capability for portraying the supremely talented and arrogant intellectual. And wasn't Stephen Strange one of those men in the beginning? A arrogant surgeon (an intellectual sort) who was so talented yet so full of hubris that he only took high profile or wealthy clients and only took other patients whose problems would put his name in more medical journals.

Besides, I doubt that having Cumberbatch with a goatee will be that bad. He's got the high cheekbones, the calculating eyes, and has shown he is capable of looking very impressive with CGI (not sure if Smaug counts though...). Nevertheless, I can say that while it's probably rather unexpected, I'm at least hopeful... I liked him in Sherlock, and it should be interesting to see Cumberbatch portray the role of the formerly world reknown surgeon, now Master of the Mystic Arts...

I'm also betting that casting him is going to get a whole lot more people interested in the character as people who have previously never really looked at Doctor Strange start to take a really damn good look at him, now that that news is out.

ghostman76
10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I call shenanigans on that concept art though. That's not Joaquin Phoenix. That's Dr. Strange with Phoenix's eyes. The whole shape of his face below the bridge of the nose looks nothing like him.

I think if this turns out to be solid, and they actually do cast Beneficent Cumber-bunt (Nevius! :D ) it'll work out fine. Dude is an amazingly good actor, and has the ability to deliver the gravitas necessary to sell the more out there aspects of Dr. Strange's mythos. They could've done far, far worse than him for the role.

Also...FWIW, I like that he seems to be the kind that doesn't take himself as seriously as his image would imply. Here's a link to him on The Graham Norton show where he does a spot on Jar Jar Binks impersonation, and yet can't say the word "penguin" It's funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRpLGEwssA

Bladewind
10-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Amusingly Yahoo is using fan art from Ronnie Thunderbolts (AKA Jared) instead of an actual official Marvel image to represent Strange (https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/report--benedict-cumberbatch-suiting-up-as-dr--strange-120238389.html)...

badpenny
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I can only hope, hope, hope they go with the Ditko surreal mystic landscapes. Anything less and I will be i r a t e.

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/de2e587e7.jpg

Nevius
10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Not hard to imagine that they'll go straight origin story, and have Bandersnatch Cuttlefish being the introduction to the mystical world of Marvel. What I'm wondering is if they go with something similar to the depiction in the Dr. Strange animated movie, where the magic is a bit more subdued, or if they go full-out balls-to-the-walls magic.

It will also be interesting to see what role the Sorcerer Supreme plays in the greater MCU.

badpenny
12-04-2014, 03:12 PM
It's official, it's Bandercoot Cumberstrange (http://marvel.com/news/movies/23754/benedict_cumberbatch_to_play_doctor_strange)

Nevius
12-05-2014, 11:36 AM
I for one am excited for Battleship Chamberlain as Doc Strange.

danelsan
12-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Someone get the MST3K guys to do a "David Ryder" on this XD

witchfire
12-05-2014, 03:47 PM
the guy who plays pyter balish in GoT would have been great as Dr Strange

ResplendentFire
12-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Oded Fehr.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTI4ODYyMjY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDUxNzE2._V1_S X214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Horsenhero
12-06-2014, 12:19 PM
While I think the casting could have been a bit more creative, I understand the desire to get an actor whose star is rising. The single casting rumor that had me most worried was the "Johnny Depp" story that was being passed around. I shudder to think.

As for the story, all I've read is the film is not likely to be an origin story and we will enter into things with Stephen Strange already a mystical badass. This isn't to say that his origin won't play into the events of the movie, but initial reports are it won't be the focus of things. My guess at the villain? I have to say the obvious choice would be Baron Mordo, backed by his usual sponsor, the Dread Dormamu. Less obvious choices could be Nightmare, Umar (Dormamu's equally evil sister), the Enchantress (to give us an instant Thor connection), Shuma-Gorath, Chthon, which could introduce the Darkhold and the corrupted sorcerer Modred, Black Talon (because...zombies are hip right now) or even Silver Dagger.

My thoughts are, Dormamu is still the most obvious player because that gives a ready avenue for flashbacks to the good Doctor's origin story AND since he is uncle to Doctor Strange's girlfriend in the comics, big D allows for an easy way to introduce Clea.

What interest me most (at this moment) is whether Wong will be in the story and if he is, how they will manage to pull off his presence without being pilloried for such an obviously politically incorrect character. The inscrutible oriental man-servant is just a part that can't be played to its historical roots any longer. The negative press would sink the film. My guess is, if he appears, he'll be Strange's bodyguard, full of dark humor and dry, sarcastic commentary. He might even end up a she, which wouldn't be bad because there are some nifty actresses that have come out of the HKAT tradition who'd make a fine Wong.

Maybe they could even cast a father and daughter duo as generational bodyguards for the Sorcerer Supreme, proving once and for all...two Wongs do make a right.:p

ResplendentFire
12-06-2014, 03:28 PM
It's not so much whether it's creative. I just think Burmingham Cummerbund is kind of rubbish and overpromoted.

Agent 47
12-06-2014, 04:23 PM
This is the same studio that took a title that very few people had even heard of and turned it into the highest grossing movie of the year. So I'm betting they're going to try some of the more outlandish aspects to Doctor Strange. I mean, it's in the freaking title. . .

Horsenhero
12-06-2014, 04:25 PM
It's not so much whether it's creative. I just think Burmingham Cummerbund is kind of rubbish and overpromoted.

Maybe. Maybe not, but the decision has been made and I wasn't consulted. Personally, I'm not a fan of Michael Douglas (his acting that is, I have no opinion of him as human being since I've never met the man), so having him in the Ant-Man movie doesn't thrill me BUT, I liked him in Romancing the Stone, so there are parts he plays well enough. My point being, I'm not going to judge the casting decisions before the movie is out, because I could be pleasantly surprised.

He could suck. The whole movie could suck. Marvel is going to put out a clunker at some point, a movie disliked by both critics and audience. Dr. Strange could be it and BC could be part of the reason, but like I said on the Batman V. Superman thread, I'm going to go in with as open a mind as possible.

ResplendentFire
12-06-2014, 05:53 PM
If there's a perfect casting for Doctor Strange, then Bunnyears Capricious is the actor it is farthest from.

I have yet to see Cumberbatch actually give a performance I like, but each performance I see makes it less likely I'll bother with another.

I will see Doctor Strange because I do like the character and thus I guess I will give him a chance, but there are so many better actors they could have picked for this role.

badpenny
06-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo
Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One

savijmuhdrox
06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Chiwetel Ejiofor is the guy that Mal fights at the very end of the Serenity movie... I think.

I'm game for that.. though he better be rocking some dastardly facial hair..

badpenny
06-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Chiwetel Ejiofor is the guy that Mal fights at the very end of the Serenity movie... I think.

I'm sure they can tame it!

http://images.scribblelive.com/2014/1/13/2f87fe61-80f0-4847-bcac-48fecc2de100_800.jpg

Bladewind
04-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Huh. Imagine that... [url="https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/post/142247943408/benedict-cumberbatch-visited-comic-book-store-as"]Benadryl Cabbagepatch in full costume...[/QUOTE]

Edit - link doesn't work. grr.

Goldar
04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

I don't think he has a beard in the movie.

Corrigon
04-07-2016, 04:53 AM
no, he's clean shaven in pics I've seen.

savijmuhdrox
04-07-2016, 05:50 AM
no, he's clean shaven in pics I've seen.

gentlemen, gentlemen.. in this day and age; there is nothing we cannot leave entirely up to CGI animation.. I'm confident Baron Mordo's mustache shall be maaaaaagic..

Kyle
04-07-2016, 05:59 AM
I'm confident Baron Mordo's mustache shall be maaaaaagic..

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif

Mr Mole
04-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Oh my dear, sweet Phteven, Kyle... that one's gonna haunt me in my nightmares... :eek:

Bladewind
04-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Yes... must poke out eyes...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3614191/eye-poke-o.gif

Horsenhero
04-07-2016, 02:10 PM
I think I need to bleach my brain.

Kyle
04-07-2016, 03:23 PM
I apologize. You guys are right, I should have included a Shia LeBeouf trigger warning.

luketheduke86
04-07-2016, 03:27 PM
While searching for info on the Doctor Strange movie, I found something.....glorious.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Doctor_Strange_film.jpg
Bask in it's 70's goodness!

Goldar
04-07-2016, 04:09 PM
While searching for info on the Doctor Strange movie, I found something.....glorious.

Yay!!!

(Basking, basking, basking...)

Everyone say "Thank you,luketheduke!"

MissRo
04-07-2016, 05:54 PM

"There's something Strange... in his pants."

Kyle
04-07-2016, 06:02 PM

luketheduke86
04-07-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks, now my co-workers probably think I'm crazy for laughing so much at work :D.

Kyle
04-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks, now my co-workers probably think I'm crazy for laughing so much at work :D.

No need to thank me. Why, just knowing that I've been able to bring a little bit of laughter into the world is thanks enough!

Kyle
04-12-2016, 09:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwcSki7r9cQ

Voltron64
04-12-2016, 10:13 PM
I have the sudden urge to play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

luketheduke86
04-13-2016, 01:49 AM
Looks good! One critique, it's weird hearing Benedict Cumberbatch with an 'American' accent, I don't know why they didn't let keep the British accent. Its not like it would be a huge change for the character or anything.

Kyle
04-13-2016, 04:47 AM
Agreed on the accent. It really stands out, though I think a big part of that is weird hearing the dude when you're so used to him sounding one way.

Also, I do think Tilda Swinton sticks out like a sore thumb as the Ancient One. She's an actor I have a lot of respect for, and I thought it was an interesting casting, but actually seeing her in the robes with the bald head, it doesn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped it would. Maybe it will be different in the theatre, but it seems like one more reason to hope they don't linger too long on Strange's origin.

Goldar
04-13-2016, 06:57 AM
Hey, that looked pretty good!

And without starting a PC discussion that goes on for pages and pages, I believe that is why they made the Ancient One a woman--to be more inclusive and more PC. This doesn't bother me and it may add new dimension to the movie.

I never go into a superhero movie expecting it to be the comic-on screen, because it never will. Not even the cartoons are 100% (although they are closer than movies). I keep an open mind and Hope to be entertained.

The things that will make this movie enjoyable are colorful costumes, the Doc Strange sayings ("Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth"), witty dialogue, good magicky-sci-fi effects, crazy powerful villains and an opening for more movies. Superb acting, accents, great script, etc I don't even look for nor expect since they are rare to none and all are very interpretive. However, I still want to be thrilled and wowed and enjoy this movie.

I am willing to give it a chance and I definitely want to see this movie!

savijmuhdrox
04-13-2016, 07:02 AM
I think I just need some time to adjust to the casting.. I keep reading Tilda Swinton and that ghastly character from Snowpiercer keeps taking over the role in my head..

its not pretty.

I just need to purge that from my mind, and I think I'll be ready to accept this Ancient One.. [but she's bald], ok.. maybe a little more time, but I'm sure I can move past it.

it's like trying to watch Brent Spiner do ANY role.. "Come on, Data, I know you're in there!"

Goldar
04-13-2016, 09:05 AM
I think I just need some time to adjust to the casting.. I keep reading Tilda Swinton and that ghastly character from Snowpiercer keeps taking over the role in my head..

I just need to purge that from my mind, and I think I'll be ready to accept this Ancient One.. [but she's bald], ok.. maybe a little more time, but I'm sure I can move past it."

See, I never saw the Snowpiercer. So my mind is free of any claptrap. (Spectrum, behave yourself!)

Yes, she is bald, as is the Ancient One. Now see, for me, I would expect the baldness to remain. Not just for the comics sake, but because of where the AO is from, the culture, etc. If a woman wants to play this part, then I expect her to go bald just as I would a man.

I know ya can move past it, man. C'mon! "You can do it!". Just take it one day at a time. Believe in yourself. You are big enough to get past this.

Kyle
04-13-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't know if I'd call 'Snowpiercer' claptrap. It's a...different movie to be certain, but I think it was good? I dunno.... Tilda Swinton's performance in the film isn't bad at all, but I definitely get where Muhdrox is coming from; she's particularly unpleasant.

That said, I tend to think of her role in 'Only Lovers Left Alive', where she plays kind of a hippie vampire opposite Tom Hiddleston -- or her performance in the video for David Bowie's 'The Stars (Are Out Tonight)' -- so I have no problem seeing her as an ageless unknowable being. She just sticks out in this trailer as being out of place. Everything about her appearance seems incongruous with her surroundings, almost alien.

Which is perhaps intentional, considering that so far there isn't any actual capital M magic in the MCU. There are even fan theories that the Eye of Agamotto is going to contain another of the Infinity Stones. I could buy Tilda Swinton's Ancient One as an alien or extradimensional being able to tap into energies which humans are not normally aware of. As a mystical teacher in a location that is very East Asian, she just seems...odd.

Horsenhero
04-13-2016, 10:25 AM
I like it! It looks suitably weird.

As for Tilda Swinton being the Ancient One and being bald...at least she's not sporting the comic book versions scraggly moustache and beard.

savijmuhdrox
04-13-2016, 12:15 PM
dang it.

Now I feel I must demand they CGI a fu manchu in on her.

"Soooo, you come to learn the magics, do you?" [strokes and twirls mustache]

In all honesty, she IS a good actor so I'm confident she'll be able to capture the character.. it does seem a bit odd, but with the minimum of footage we've seen so far (heck, don't think we even saw Mads Mikkelson); I'm sure it gets better..

luketheduke86
04-13-2016, 12:46 PM
dang it.

In all honesty, she IS a good actor so I'm confident she'll be able to capture the character.. it does seem a bit odd, but with the minimum of footage we've seen so far (heck, don't think we even saw Mads Mikkelson); I'm sure it gets better..

He was only in it for like 2 seconds (the kaleidoscope hallway scene), but I can't wait to see more of him. Especially since there hasn't been any real confirmation about who he's supposed to be.

luketheduke86
04-13-2016, 12:53 PM
That said, I tend to think of her role in 'Only Lovers Left Alive', where she plays kind of a hippie vampire opposite Tom Hiddleston -- or her performance in the video for David Bowie's 'The Stars (Are Out Tonight)' -- so I have no problem seeing her as an ageless unknowable being. She just sticks out in this trailer as being out of place. Everything about her appearance seems incongruous with her surroundings, almost alien.

Heh, I always think of her as the angel from the Constantine movie :).

Horsenhero
04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
He was only in it for like 2 seconds (the kaleidoscope hallway scene), but I can't wait to see more of him. Especially since there hasn't been any real confirmation about who he's supposed to be.

Well, it's pretty certain he's a villain. I hope he's playing Nightmare, because Nightmare is such a good, trippy Dr. Strange villain.

Plus, you can kill him off as much as you like and he always returns, so Marvel can have their villain-slaying cake and eat it too.:cool:

savijmuhdrox
04-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Well, it's pretty certain he's a villain. I hope he's playing Nightmare, because Nightmare is such a good, trippy Dr. Strange villain.

Plus, you can kill him off as much as you like and he always returns, so Marvel can have their villain-slaying cake and eat it too.:cool:

Gotta go with hoping for him to be Dormammu.. that's one trippy scene.

Seatbelt buckled.

Mr Mole
04-13-2016, 02:48 PM
dang it.

The only part that gives me any reason to pause is Swinton's Ancient One, and I'm confident I'll brush those minor hesitations aside without much effort. The rest looks as good as or better than I could reasonably expect. If they're going to mix things up a bit, Doctor Strange and his associates are great candidates.

If the scene where the Ancient One knocks Strange out of his body is any indicator, I'm gonna like this movie. :D

Goldar
04-14-2016, 07:12 AM
I don't know if I'd call 'Snowpiercer' claptrap. It's a...different movie to be certain, but I think it was good? I dunno.......odd.

Well, claptrap can mean crap, mindclutter or both :)

dang it.

LOL. How true!

I am excited for this movie.

I wonder if Doc (and company) will then appear after this movie in other Marvel productions?

Horsenhero
04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
I wonder if Doc (and company) will then appear after this movie in other Marvel productions?

Assuming the movie is a success, you can pretty much be guaranteed of that.

I mean, I'm sure Marvel has movies planned for after Infinity War and there will be Avengers needing replacing as actors work out their contracts or ask to be released because they've lost interest (ala Hugo Weaving, who could have reprised his Red Skull role, but has no interest in doing so at last check).

At the very least, the good Doctor will appear in Infinity War and there are rumors he may actually make the leap to television to make a cameo in Iron Fist (totally unsubstantiated and may just be wishful thinking on the part of the reporter).

Regardless, until the studio starts to recast some of the characters that are vanishing soon or have already done so (Nick Fury, Iron Man, Jane Foster, Loki, etc), the new additions are going to have to step up or the active roster of characters is going to begin to get kind of anemic.

Goldar
04-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info, Horsenhero.

That is good to know. I had heard a while ago that Marvel tends to keep Dr Strange away from teams/groups because of the weirdness of a master mage and because of his power level.

However, I would like to see some interaction with the rest of the MU. Your post gives me Hope that this could happen down the line.

luketheduke86
04-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Ooh, my mind jumped straight to Dormammu and didn't even consider Nightmare! I'm actually figuring Mads' character is probably just working for one of them or possibly possessed by them.

Kyle
04-25-2016, 07:41 AM
One of the writers on 'Dr. Strange', C. Robert Cargill, recently gave an interview where he talks about the decision to cast Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, and how Marvel Studios was essentially in a no win position with the character.

Link! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=17m54s). Hopefully it should go to the relevant time stamp, but if not, it's just before the 18 minute mark where the discussion begins. If you're concerned about cursing for whatever reason, be warned that there's some here.

Mr Mole
04-25-2016, 01:31 PM
One of the writers on 'Dr. Strange', C. Robert Cargill, recently gave an interview where he talks about the decision to cast Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, and how Marvel Studios was essentially in a no win position with the character.

Link! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0&t=17m54s). Hopefully it should go to the relevant time stamp, but if not, it's just before the 18 minute mark where the discussion begins. If you're concerned about cursing for whatever reason, be warned that there's some here.
Well thought-out and conveyed reasoning. Anyone who can intelligently invoke a Kobayashi Maru analogy gets top marks from me... and the Diana Ross Dazzler origin, too. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

Bookwyrm 15
04-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcdbH_5qd04), for all of your Bread n' Stuff Cornystarch needs. (Warning: some or all may be distasteful.)

Edit: Nope, nope, it's definitely all distasteful; just rewatched it.

Kyle
07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

That little cape donning maneuver he does at 1:47? For whatever reason, easily my favourite part of the trailer.

BS Digital Q
07-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Inception Man!

Okay, to be fair, the reality warping looks sick as hell. I've always thought one of the major issues with comics magic users has been the visual depiction of the magical powers as "pew pew lightshow!" with rarely any sense of style and really "out there" weirdness to it. Heck, part of what makes the original Ditko comics so memorable is how utterly otherworldly the visuals were compared to its contemporaries.

Ares
07-23-2016, 08:12 PM
I have to agree, the cape donning bit was very cool. I also like the strange (pardon the pun) reality warping effect magic has, as well as the use of the arcane symbols they seem to be using. This might make for a pretty awesome mystic series. The only issue I can see would be how this might work with the rest of the MCU proper.

And I will admit, that bit about the Wi-Fi password at the end made me chuckle.

Star Guard
07-26-2016, 01:39 AM
When it comes to his place in the Marvel Universe, Strange is .... well strange.

In his own comic (movie) he is a cosmic level power-wielder. Dealing with threats that almost make Thanos a piker. Anytime he is teamed up with another character or on a team Strange is suddenly just another higher yet mortal toolkit energyblaster. I really hope they keep him in the shadows, operating as mover and shaker protecting only briefly with the other characters of the MCU.

Great choice for Strange. Marvel really has their house in order when it comes to casting major characters. Ruffalo as their worst example just isnt a half bad record :)

On the AO: Yeah not my favorite choice here. All the two stepping about PC or not PC aside, it just feels another choice would have themed better and sometimes, just sometimes you need to give PC the middle finger. No questioning the actress has the chops though so she can't be any worse than Micheal Douglas as Pym. I'd have preferred a young snarky female ass kicking Wong .... but no one asked me ;)

Corrigon
07-26-2016, 04:28 AM
considering they have rejigged Wong to basically be the drill sergeant, having both Wong and AO as female would seem 'strange'

cochramd
07-26-2016, 05:15 AM
"The wifi password. We're not savages." Oh, that's going to get a couple chuckles in the theatres.

Beleriphon
07-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Great choice for Strange. Marvel really has their house in order when it comes to casting major characters. Ruffalo as their worst example just isnt a half bad record :)

I like Mark Ruffalo as an awkward Banner that knows why he's really on the team.

Mr Mole
07-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I liked Ruffalo as Bruce Banner far more than I liked Renner as Clint Barton. Hawkeye was a total letdown on every level.

Kyle
07-27-2016, 09:45 PM
I liked Ruffalo as Bruce Banner far more than I liked Renner as Clint Barton. Hawkeye was a total letdown on every level.

Strong agreement!

Also, I don't really buy Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. She's not terrible, but nothing about her performance makes me think she's some badass former Russian spy.

Star Guard
07-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Yeah I know I'm in the minority preferring Norton as Banner and Ruffalo acting is fine. Physically he doesn't feel like Bruce to me, but it's cool.

Kyle I agree with your assessment of Scarlett as Widow. Again she's fine enough it doesn't give me an "OMG what we're they thinking moment", but yeah she lacks an fine edge of danger, say I feel Craig has in Bond.

OT: it's his portrayal of Sherlock that had me hyped for Strange. Oh and I'm perfectly fine with how I'm seeing Wong portrayed. Just wish the casting "felt" as natural for the AO.

Kyle
07-28-2016, 03:04 AM
I really like Ruffalo's enthusiasm for the part, and everything I've heard makes it sound like he's great to work with, but yeah, dude would not be my first choice for Bruce Banner. For whatever reason, the thing that always pops into my head whenever Ruffalo comes up is an interview I saw with Julianne Moore where she talks about working with him on 'The Kids Are Alright'. She mentions how he'd show up to shoots riding on a motorcycle with his shirt open enough to show off his chest, oozing masculinity, and nothing about that sounds like Bruce Banner to me.

By contrast, Ed Norton seems perfect to play the role. A scrawny dude with anger issues? Spot on! Granted, 'Fight Club' is one of my favourite films, so Norton as a dude with multiple personalities and a penchant for violence is pretty easy for me to believe.

That said, I do think Ruffalo manages to do pretty well with the role.

As for the Ancient One, this is why I'm so sure they're going to reveal in the film she's not of this Earth. Because why would you cast Tilda Swinton to play a role in a world where aliens exist and not have her be one? Having magic be the manipulation of cosmic energies, and the Ancient One being an exiled extraterrestrial, perhaps specifically trying to hide the Infinity Stone containing Eye of Agamotto on Earth would tie 'Doctor Strange' into the larger MCU.

Mr Mole
07-28-2016, 06:55 AM
Regarding Norton vs Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, I'd prefer Norton... but Ruffalo was good and I have no real complaints about his portrayal. He just didn't have the extra "oomph" Norton brought to the role of Banner.

Largely the same thing with Johannson as Romanoff. She's passable and sometimes even good in the role, but rarely great.

The cast and trailers for Doctor Strange have be surprisingly hyped. Cumberbatch is great and he's a (maybe too) perfect fit as Doctor Strange. Chiwetel Ejiofor (how on Earth is that pronounced, btw?) and Mads Mikkelsen are both awesome actors with great screen presence. Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One... I think I actually like it. The worst thing I ever saw her in was Constantine, and she wasn't what was wrong with the movie.

Star Guard
07-28-2016, 07:16 AM
As for the Ancient One, this is why I'm so sure they're going to reveal in the film she's not of this Earth. Because why would you cast Tilda Swinton to play a role in a world where aliens exist and not have her be one? Having magic be the manipulation of cosmic energies, and the Ancient One being an exiled extraterrestrial, perhaps specifically trying to hide the Infinity Stone containing Eye of Agamotto on Earth would tie 'Doctor Strange' into the larger MCU.
[emphasis mine]

Where's that darn button because I like this :)

Shock
07-28-2016, 07:26 AM
I'd much rather magic be magic and leave the pseudo-science explanation out of it.

Star Guard
07-28-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm feeling ya .... but the Asgardians pretty much let that horse out of the barn in the first Thor movie ;)

Shock
07-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Yeah I didn't buy it then either. Especially when they then proceeded to do all sorts of things that couldn't be anything but magic.

savijmuhdrox
07-28-2016, 08:52 AM
i wasn't really a big fan of when the Thor movie was just like "Humans are dumb, magic IS science"; but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the movie, and i don't think it would with Dr. Strange if they did that as well.

I could see the reasoning behind trying to keep everything all within one tight continuity.. but i'd rather they go for broke.. they already have the Guardians running around the galaxy, and I'm sure they are not on the Asgardian radar..

so they don't need to confine Strange to the Asgardian system of things either, especially since they did that weird stuff with Ant-Man too...

this movie seems super polished.. so i'm confident that they've got all their hens in row.. and whatever they choose to do.. i'll have to change my pants ANYWAY.,

Shock
07-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Oh I agree there. This is a very strong looking movie.

luketheduke86
07-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Strong agreement!

Really? I love Renner as Clint! He does a great job with the snarky/sarcastic side of Barton. My only problem was that he spent the majority of the first Avengers movie as a "mindless" drone.

ghostman76
07-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Really? I love Renner as Clint! He does a great job with the snarky/sarcastic side of Barton. My only problem was that he spent the majority of the first Avengers movie as a "mindless" drone.

It wasn't until the final battle in Age of Ultron and in Civil War that I really got the impression Renner understood Hawkeye was supposed to be a snarky, sarcastic everyman style character. Up until then he seemed to be much more the Ultimate version of Hawkeye who was a highly skilled operative with a secret soft side for his family.

Anybody who doesn't think his delivery of that "Nobody would ever know." line about Quicksilver was solid gold is just all kinds of wrong though. :)

Kyle
07-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Yeah I didn't buy it then either. Especially when they then proceeded to do all sorts of things that couldn't be anything but magic.

That's kinda the whole point of Clarke's Third Law. If you were to go back in time a couple hundred years with a smart phone, how would the people you encounter react when you start taking their picture, or introducing them to the complete oeuvre of modern day philosopher-poet, Sir Mix-A-Lot? No doubt they'd agree with his general thesis regarding large posteriors, but the device itself would seem like pure witchcraft. And this is a thing that we pretty much take for granted.

The Asgardians have all sorts of powers which seem fantastical, but I'm completely willing to buy that it's some combination of advanced technology and an understanding of how to manipulate cosmic energies.

And I guess really it's just a matter of semantics. Magic or Cosmic Energies, it's functionally the same thing. It's like the Force in Star Wars, right? They never call it magic -- except through implication when Owen Lars refers to Obi-Wan as a "wizard" -- but that's more or less what it is. I just think that having the Ancient One be an alien or extra-dimensional being would fit neatly into the world they've been building in the MCU, and let them side-step to some extent some of the criticisms about casting Tilda Swinton in the role.

I could see the reasoning behind trying to keep everything all within one tight continuity.. but i'd rather they go for broke.. they already have the Guardians running around the galaxy, and I'm sure they are not on the Asgardian radar..

Well, Sif and Volstagg did turn over the Aether to the Collector. Which seems like a really bad idea, but at least confirms that all these beings are operating in the same circles.

It wasn't until the final battle in Age of Ultron and in Civil War that I really got the impression Renner understood Hawkeye was supposed to be a snarky, sarcastic everyman style character. Up until then he seemed to be much more the Ultimate version of Hawkeye who was a highly skilled operative with a secret soft side for his family.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as well. He does get some moments to shine in 'Age of Ultron' but by then, it almost seems too little too late.

I'm sure that part of my dislike is also that Renner comes off as kind of a shitty dude in interviews.

savijmuhdrox
07-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Well, Sif and Volstagg did turn over the Aether to the Collector. Which seems like a really bad idea, but at least confirms that all these beings are operating in the same circles.

Riiiight.. i totally forgot they did that...

Soooo.. if I'm following all this right.. Earth is in Midgard; which includes everything in outer space from the Guardians of the Galaxy.. and Asgard is merely another dimension (series of nine dimensions).. all of which all have their own 'outer space'?

Technically, the aliens in Avengers, the Chitauri, would be from Asgard (or some other dimension) as Loki had to open a portal for them. I'm assuming Asgard, as when Loki "died" at the end of Thor.. he didn't leave that dimension, that we know of..

This puts Thanos in Asgard, maybe.. or at least gives him the ability to travel between dimensions.

Now we have Ant-Man.. who shrunk down so small he possibly went to ANOTHER dimension as well.. not necessarily the Asgardian ones as previously mentioned.. (though we don't know this).. and we're also going to see Dr. Strange... who will hopefully somehow bring this all together into a coherent whole? Yes No? Maybe So?

Some of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense without some explanatory material.. but i'm okay with that.. they've got plenty of movies to plug holes.

Kyle
07-28-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't think that Asgard is in an entirely separate dimension, but it's not really clear. Like, clearly the Nine Realms are somehow connected, but are they dimensional layers, or connected via some web of like...cosmic ley lines? Is that what the Yggdrisal is?

If Asgard is in another dimension, I don't think that's where Thanos would be. Like he's obviously more concerned with the Midgard dimension considering that's where almost all the Infinity Stones are. He sends Loki to Earth and gives him the Sceptre, he sends Gamora and Nebula to aid Ronan -- and Gamora knows quite a bit about the Midgard dimension, which makes me assume that's where she's from -- and he's obviously monitoring the situation with the Infinity Stones from afar. Granted, the Asgardians have access to dimensional travel, and we know Heimdall can see Earth from Asgard, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Thanos would have similar technology.

We also know that the Asgardians are aware of a lot of what happens in the Migard dimension. In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Sif travels to Earth specifically to stop a Kree, and if I'm remembering the episode correctly, she was aware of the Inhumans.

Now I'm very tempted see if any of the special features on the 'Thor' blu-rays detail how the Nine Realms are connected.

Bookwyrm 15
07-28-2016, 05:58 PM

Anybody who doesn't think his delivery of that "Nobody would ever know." line about Quicksilver was solid gold is just all kinds of wrong though. :)

Here to interrupt your regularly scheduled program:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ27iS1mkuo

Mr Mole
07-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as well. He does get some moments to shine in 'Age of Ultron' but by then, it almost seems too little too late.

Yeah, this. I don't entirely blame Renner, as I don't think he was given a lot to work with and I hate the revisions they made to the character and costume. No, Hawkeye's probably been one of the worst scripted characters of the entire MCU. That said, I still don't think Renner was a good choice for the role. On the bright side, Hawkeye can only get better from here.

Regarding the Ancient One being some sort of extradimensional alien or something... Maybe, but I think I prefer it if she's a human who learned secrets that no other human has ever learned. Those secrets likely came, directly or indirectly, from unearthly beings... and she may now go beyond what we think of as "human" in some regards... but I still like the idea of Strange's teacher being more the Ancient One than some Cthuloid Old One in human form.

Kyle
07-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Here to interrupt your regularly scheduled program:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ27iS1mkuo

Wow. Before watching that, I merely disliked Renner and thought he was a crappy Hawkeye. After getting about halfway through that unfunny abomination, it's now my life's mission to somehow get them to kill Clint off-screen and replace him with Kate Bishop.

Wish me luck, friends!

Bookwyrm 15
07-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Wow. Before watching that, I merely disliked Renner and thought he was a crappy Hawkeye. After getting about halfway through that unfunny abomination, it's now my life's mission to somehow get them to kill Clint off-screen and replace him with Kate Bishop.

Wish me luck, friends!

Whaat? I got a few chuckles out of it. 'Specially, "And I can open a pickle jar!" Like to see Doctor Strange do that without magic. Boom, seamlessly back on topic.
:p

JetstreamGW
07-28-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm sure that part of my dislike is also that Renner comes off as kind of a shitty dude in interviews.

Meh, Adam Baldwin is human garbage but that doesn't stop Jayne from being entertaining.

Kyle
07-28-2016, 10:04 PM
Meh, Adam Baldwin is human garbage but that doesn't stop Jayne from being entertaining.

Strong agreement! Being a Joss Whedon character is what stops Jayne from being entertaining.

Bookwyrm 15
07-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Anyone think there'll be any sorta cameos from other heroes? (Hulk, I'm looking at you!)

If they can do it in Ant-Man, they can do it here, never mind the logistics!

savijmuhdrox
07-29-2016, 06:20 AM
Whaat? I got a few chuckles out of it. 'Specially, "And I can open a pickle jar!" Like to see Doctor Strange do that without magic. Boom, seamlessly back on topic.
:p

i remember seeing that.. and freaking out about the pickle jar.. like as far as i knew, someone on that show had super Peter David X-Factor street cred..

Renner strikes me as someone who got a little too big for his britches, made some dumb comments and learned his lesson well, do not talk bad about the company that pays you to prance around on screen. I don't go out of my way to watch his interviews though.

and Adam Baldwin is human garbage? I did not know any this.. damn.. what did he do?

Scots Dragon
07-29-2016, 08:32 AM
and Adam Baldwin is human garbage? I did not know any this.. damn.. what did he do?

He's a pretty big part of GamerGate and the initial harassment of Zoe Quinn. He's also an anti-vaccination advocate, a climate change denier, and contributes to Breitbart.

So... human garbage about covers it.

Mr Mole
07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Wow. I suspect I disagree with every regular and semi-regular poster on this board on some issue (and likely several issues) that they feel very strongly about... and while I don't agree with some key points of Mr Baldiwin's politics nor his personal philosophies, me disagreeing with him doesn't make him "human garbage" any more than (I would hope) my views make me "human garbage" to any of you.

I'm not defending his views nor am I defending his actions, but I will stand up for his right to choose both according to his own conscience without being devalued as a human being.

'Nuff said. Peace.

Kyle
07-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Anyone think there'll be any sorta cameos from other heroes? (Hulk, I'm looking at you!)

Scarlet Witch might be an interesting option. She could show up looking learn "real" magic from Strange in post credits scene.

Scots Dragon
07-30-2016, 02:50 AM
I'm not defending his views nor am I defending his actions, but I will stand up for his right to choose both according to his own conscience without being devalued as a human being.

As much as anything else his views include advocating against vaccines, a policy which has caused outbreaks of some of the most debilitating and infectious diseases in the world.

It is a view which has left people dead.

And it's a view founded as much as anything else upon the idea that vaccines cause autism, and that being autistic is somehow substantially worse than being dead. That is a policy which I am personally affected and offended by.

savijmuhdrox
08-01-2016, 06:31 AM
As much as anything else his views include advocating against vaccines, a policy which has caused outbreaks of some of the most debilitating and infectious diseases in the world.

It is a view which has left people dead.

And it's a view founded as much as anything else upon the idea that vaccines cause autism, and that being autistic is somehow substantially worse than being dead. That is a policy which I am personally affected and offended by.

yeah.. gotta say i went and read up on Baldwin and the only thing i found really "wrong" was the vaccine thing.. everything else is just a loud mouth celebrity on twitter.. sure, it adds to my personal dislike of the actor.. but i think "human garbage" can be applied to much worse people.. let them all argue and debase each other on twitter, and i can just ignore them entirely..

and the vaccine thing, i can't even argue about.. some people just hate knowledge and education.. you can't even begin to discuss the subject with them because they've built up a defense composed entirely of "People smarter then me are always wrong".. it's sad really, and its happening a lot more today. We need people to really re-embrace the idea of learning, and gaining and using knowledge over anything else...

you know.. kind of like Dr. Strange is going to have to study hard and learn to use the magic arts..

(i'm hoping that stretch back on topic helped)

Star Guard
08-01-2016, 05:03 PM

Wish me luck, friends!

I like that idea. More so because she would make a good next generation MCU replacement for Widow and Hawkeye ... a twofer if you will.

chosenredead
08-01-2016, 08:29 PM
The most important thing for the movie is how they'll merge the actual, explicit, very real, existence of magic with MCU turning Asguardians in sufficiently advanced aliens and otherwise not being much of magical setting. Gao and the Hand's resurrection are the nearest MCU has gotten to magic, and they're not even in the MCU proper (indeed, Gao is barely there and seems to be setup for an Iron Fist series that hasn't aired yet).

He's a pretty big part of [...] the initial harassment of Zoe Quinn.

She proudly participated in "Helldump" (http://archive.is/Qb96g), an organized harassment forum requiring paid (!) membership with the ultimate goal of driving targets to suicide years before Adam Baldwin had any idea who the hell she was. He's in no way responsible for her starting to harass people.

Kyle
08-01-2016, 09:56 PM
She proudly participated in "Helldump" (http://archive.is/Qb96g), an organized harassment forum requiring paid (!) membership with the ultimate goal of driving targets to suicide years before Adam Baldwin had any idea who the hell she was. He's in no way responsible for her starting to harass people.

ScotsDragon was obviously claiming that Baldwin was at least in part responsible for the harassment Zoe Quinn received, not any she may have herself dispensed. Also, Quinn's tweet about having a crippling Helldump addiction seems like it was probably sarcastic? Especially seeing as it's not difficult to find other tweets of hers where she says it was a joke.

Also:

- Helldump was a section of the Something Awful forums dedicated to rooting out "undesirables" from the forums -- trolls, pedophiles, racists -- and kicking them off the forums, though they had specific rules against attacking anyone in real life, or doxxing them.

- Helldump imploded a number of years ago. Probably because it was on Something Awful.

- Quinn has claimed to have been a Something Awful user in the past, mostly to talk about Pokemon, but the only possible link anyone's found between her and Helldump is that maybe she helped to root out a pedophile.

- There is no evidence that Helldump ever drove anyone to suicide.

Chosenredead, I'm going to let you in on a little secret; there's a website not a lot of people know about, but it's pretty cool and easy way to fact check things so you don't embarrass yourself by posting such obviously false information again. Here you go, buddy: Link! (https://www.google.com)

chosenredead
08-01-2016, 10:46 PM
I've got to say the race swaping in this is really badly thought out from what's confirmed so far. They made the ancient one a white woman for no particular reason, and the bad guy a black man seemingly to say they had a black man in the movie. It's just not a thing that can end well.

@kyle
You might want to Google it yourself first, because the first page is nothing but references to its true nature, additional references to her participation and a pair of official Something Awful news post titled helldump about an artist they don't like deserving the "gas chamber" and another about spreading pics of someone's "hot mom" to attack them.

In fact, searching your claims shows its copy pasted with a storify (literally a glorified twitter post) with no working citations.

Kyle
08-01-2016, 11:37 PM
@kyle
You might want to Google it yourself first, because the first page is nothing but references to its true nature, additional references to her participation and a pair of official Something Awful news post titled helldump about an artist they don't like deserving the "gas chamber" and another about spreading pics of someone's "hot mom" to attack them.

Encyclopedia Dramatica and GamerGate reddit threads are hardly reputable sources of information.

Also, the Gas Chamber is a Something Awful sub-forum where threads are moved because the moderators deem them to be crappy, but they want the posters to know they didn't just disappear due to a server error.

In fact, searching your claims shows its copy pasted with a storify (literally a glorified twitter post) with no working citations.

Copy paste means something very specific, and my post was certainly not that. The storify was a nice find because it was a concise source of info, all of which I then checked independently before posting, because I personally would hate to say some ridiculous hyperbolic and easily disprovable nonsense, and look like an ignorant dipshit.

Also, your proof that Quinn was part of an internet gang devoted to bullying people into suicide was literally just a screen cap of a twitter post.

Ares
08-02-2016, 10:23 AM
I've got to say the race swaping in this is really badly thought out from what's confirmed so far. They made the ancient one a white woman for no particular reason,

From what I've been able to find out, the Ancient One was changed from a Tibetan Man to a androgynous Celtic woman because of China. Roughly 20% of Marvel's film revenue comes from China, and China and Tibet have . . . well, let's say a history. So rather than alienate China or just change him to a different Asian ethnicity (and perhaps risk coming off as even more insensitive), they opted for a total gender/race shift. It was the same reason they opted not to make Mandarin Chinese in Iron Man 3, so as to not tick off China. Despite, you know, China having this whole history of having Chinese villains.

ghostman76
08-02-2016, 12:07 PM
I've got to say the race swaping in this is really badly thought out from what's confirmed so far. They made the ancient one a white woman for no particular reason, and the bad guy a black man seemingly to say they had a black man in the movie. It's just not a thing that can end well.

I was under the impression that Mads Mikkelsen was the villain of the Dr. Strange movie, and that Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing a good guy, or at least a "Sinestro before the fall" version of Baron Mordo. The trailer seemed to show that pretty straightforwardly. Did something change?

savijmuhdrox
08-02-2016, 01:05 PM
From what I've been able to find out, the Ancient One was changed from a Tibetan Man to a androgynous Celtic woman because of China. Roughly 20% of Marvel's film revenue comes from China, and China and Tibet have . . . well, let's say a history. So rather than alienate China or just change him to a different Asian ethnicity (and perhaps risk coming off as even more insensitive), they opted for a total gender/race shift. It was the same reason they opted not to make Mandarin Chinese in Iron Man 3, so as to not tick off China. Despite, you know, China having this whole history of having Chinese villains.

sigh.. i hate when they do that.

I've got not problem with correcting a wrong (i.e. if they made a Blackhawks movie, obviously Chop-Chop would not be a short buck-toothed asian cook, we can stop that right there.); but some part of this is all about money.

i just hate that.

Does it make me demand a recasting? oh hell no.. Swinton is awesome, and I'm sure she'll do wonders for the movie and the character going forward... but it sure does burn my britches knowing that some small modicum of the impetus for the change was greed..

Kyle
08-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I was under the impression that Mads Mikkelsen was the villain of the Dr. Strange movie, and that Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing a good guy, or at least a "Sinestro before the fall" version of Baron Mordo. The trailer seemed to show that pretty straightforwardly. Did something change?

It is interesting. In the comics the character Mikkelsen is apparently playing, Kaecilius, is an apprentice of Mordo. Granted, they could have just been going down the list of disposable Dr. Strange villains and picked one with an evil-enough sounding name, but maybe it indicates that Mordo isn't the ally he seems to be on the surface?

savijmuhdrox
08-02-2016, 02:56 PM
just pointing out.. they're wasting Mads Mikkelson on a Dr. Strange villain who doesn't even have a proper Wikipedia entry..

but he looks damn cool, so here's to Mads hopefully making this guy awesome.. you know.. in an evil way..

and it would be really cool.. if somehow Kaecilius BECOMES Dormammu at the end of the movie.. then we get extra Mads for all eternity!!! yaaaaaay!! (cuz lets be honest, you can really only watch Valhalla Rising like once.. a week..)

Mr Mole
08-02-2016, 06:58 PM
...but maybe it indicates that Mordo isn't the ally he seems to be on the surface?

That would be my suspicion and would fit Mordo's established MO from the comics.

and it would be really cool.. if somehow Kaecilius BECOMES Dormammu at the end of the movie.. then we get extra Mads for all eternity!!! yaaaaaay!! (cuz lets be honest, you can really only watch Valhalla Rising like once.. a week..)

The guy's as good as dead. He's an uber-obsure, D-list lackey to a B-list (on a good day) villain. If he comes face-to-face with Dormammu, he'll likely either be eaten, incinerated or possessed... or some combination of those. He might make a good meatpuppet for Dormammu, though. That could keep Mikkelsen around for another movie.

Slipknot has about as good a chance of getting through a movie in one piece as Kaecilius (or however you spell it).

Kyle
08-02-2016, 09:47 PM
just pointing out.. they're wasting Mads Mikkelson on a Dr. Strange villain who doesn't even have a proper Wikipedia entry..

but he looks damn cool, so here's to Mads hopefully making this guy awesome.. you know.. in an evil way..

How sad is that a magical mook so obscure that no one was able to guess he'd be showing up in the film and had to have his name leaked via a toy solicitation -- and Dr. Strange himself likely would not remember defeating -- is probably going to be a more memorable villain than Ronan the Accuser, Malekith the Accursed, and Baron Strucker combined?

Cannibal
08-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Yeah, but I wouldn't put much expectation about it. I mean, Mads is an amazing actor, but until this moment I have not seen anything in the trailers that promise a memorable performance, and if you think about it there is almost a tradition for Marvel villains, despite being portrayed by great actors, end up doing just an sub-average job. I mean, we had Hugo Weaving doing the Red Skull!!!! The potential was just HUGE, but they delivered something... meh.

Kyle
08-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah, but I wouldn't put much expectation about it. I mean, Mads is an amazing actor, but until this moment I have not seen anything in the trailers that promise a memorable performance, and if you think about it there is almost a tradition for Marvel villains, despite being portrayed by great actors, end up doing just an sub-average job. I mean, we had Hugo Weaving doing the Red Skull!!!! The potential was just HUGE, but they delivered something... meh.

I didn't think they dropped the ball with Red Skull; he had personality and well-defined plans that were more than just being evil for evil's sake. It's too bad Hugo Weaving disliked having to go through all the make-up and wouldn't reprise the role.

Though to be fair, I think the MCU is so starved for interesting villains, I'd be excited to learn they were bringing back the Abomination, especially if Tim Roth was going to be returning to voice him.

Cannibal
08-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the Hugo Weaving problem really upsets me. In my opinion is just wrong to give him such an ambiguous death and never talk about it again. He should have left some presence in the MCU even after his demise, but no one ever remembers the Red Skull... not even Steve Rogers. I still hope that Marvel is secretly holding somesort of deal with Hugo for him to reprise his part again, perhaps as a slave for Thanos, wanting to be freed and actually building a new HYDRA on the 21 century.

cochramd
08-05-2016, 01:30 PM
There is a new HYDRA, though, or at least a continuation of the old one judging from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And we also know from the show that HYDRA hasn't had any contact with the Red Skull since 1945, which says to me there's no way that he's under Thanos's employ and that his chances of being alive at all are, quite literally, astronomically small.

First, to use the Red Skull as an assassin, thief or in some other role that benefits mostly from his physique would be squandering his great intellect and leadership abilities, not to mention rubbing him the wrong way. In order to use Red Skull as effectively as possible and to keep his loyalty, Thanos would put him back on Earth in charge of HYDRA. But that didn't happen, so I can only conclude that Thanos never got a hold of him.

Second, without Thanos' interference the Red Skull's survival would depend on the stars aligning both figuratively and literally. The portal appears appears to be have taken him to the emptiness of the void, which is a death sentence. Steve saw this, and this is probably why he doesn't remember the Red Skull; or rather, he remembers him but doesn't spend much time ruminating on dead enemies. If the portal didn't take him to the space it was immediately showing, well, the vast majority of the universe is void and most celestial bodies aren't any less quick to kill you. His only chance of survival would be to arrive upon an alien space ship or an earth-like planet. Not only are these slim chances, but they're also environments full of aliens that might just try to kill him as soon as look at him. It's been over 70 years now; that's plenty of time for him to be done in by a lucky alien, for him to have an unlucky accident or for him to have simply gone mad from isolation to the point he can no longer fend for himself. And all that is presuming that the wormhole itself didn't kill him in the first place; this isn't a perfectly safe wormhole created by manipulating the Tesseract carefully, this is a wormhole that opened up after a machine extracting power from the Tesseract got smashed, and arguably the intelligence of the Tesseract could have had motives to eliminate Red Skull. He could've been disintegrated on a molecular, atomic or subatomic level, transmuted into different elements, stretched, crushed, warped, taken apart and put back together wrong, or even killed in some way I cannot even imagine, after which his remains would be unceremoniously spat out of the wormhole somewhere else in the universe.

So, yeah, even if Hugo changed his mind about playing the Red Skull, that ship has sailed.

Bookwyrm 15
08-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Ah, but all those carefully constructed comments, all the perfectly plausible propositions, everything that makes sense, is all broken instantly by the five words of fans and writers alike: "IT'S A COMIC BOOK MOVIE!"
So yeah, if it could happen, it will happen. Probably.

Edit: I didn't realize that my last line and cochramd's last line were that similar.

Kyle
08-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Even if Hugo Weaving doesn't come back, there's no reason Red Skull couldn't return. They've replaced actors for more important characters, and falling into a portal is pretty much the perfect set-up for the dude to show-up again. Plus, getting a new body every time he has a new scheme is practically step-one in the Skull's evil villain playbook.

Gilliam
10-30-2016, 02:17 AM
I saw Doctor Strange last night and overall it was very enjoyable. Benedict did a very good job playing up the arrogant surgeon at the beginning and also looked like Doctor Strange at the end. The story was simple and not overly complex and there was the Marvel humour throughout, some of which worked well and at other times was meh. Good use of special effects and it didn't feel like they were overshadowing the rest of the movie.

Overall I enjoyed this movie a lot and for me personally this was the best superhero movie I have seen this year though I have never been a fan of the excessively dark and bleak themes of some of the other movies.

PauloDeWalshio
10-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Just got back from seeing the film a couple of hours ago. There are quite a few things I want to talk about, but I don't want to spoil anyone, so I'll just give my overall opinion here and make all the spoilery stuff white text. In short: I really liked it! Not sure if it's my favourite Marvel movie (honestly I'm not even sure if I have a favourite), but it's definitely up there.

Spoilers past this point
I've got to admit, I wasn't expecting Strange to get the Time Stone, my bet was on the Soul Stone, but I think it works, especially since one of the themes of the film (in my opinion as a complete noob when it comes to film analysis) is time and how everyone eventually runs out of it no matter what they do. Plus, this means the Soul Stone will probably show up in Thor: Ragnarok, which will probably be a better fit for it than here.

I was one of the people who were a bit...iffy on Tilda Swinton's casting as the Ancient One, but I think she does really well in the role. The reveal that her immortality comes from Dormammu soured me on her character for a bit, but she did win me back during her monologue just before her death.

Benedict Cumberbatch was great as Doctor Strange. The first few scenes after he loses the ability to use his hands for surgery could've very easily made the character completely unsympathetic if done wrong, but he nails them in my opinion. He also does really well at showing Strange as both hopelessly out of his depth and lovably smug.

I really liked Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo. His performance is great as both a guy who has total unwavering faith in the Ancient One and just wants Strange to get with the damn program already and as a guy who is sick of sorcerors and their disregard for the laws of nature when it suits them. I think he has the potential to be one of the more interesting Marvel movie villains, mainly because we got an entire movie to learn about him and his motivations.

Kaecilius was okay. Mads Mikkelsen does his best with what he's given, but he just doesn't get a whole lot of screen time in my opinion. I'm not sure, but I think he may actually be the Marvel villain with the least amount of screen time. I'm pretty sure even Malekith was shown more than him. The film portray him and Strange as essentially being two sides of the same coin (to the point where Kaecilius even uses the exact same metaphor to describe humanity that Strange does earlier in the movie, only with a much darker context), and while this does make him more interesting, I think this wasn't really fleshed out enough due to Kaecilius' small screentime. Also, while I wasn't that bothered by it, I can definitely see why people dislike the fact that he's basically a pawn in his own movie.

Dormammu's scene was short but very satisfying. Though I like the comic version, I really dig his portrayal in the film. Like, this could be me completely misinterpreting the film, but to me, it looked like he isn't just the ruler of the Dark Dimension, he is the Dark Dimension. I also really like how he wasn't really beaten, he was just persuaded to leave Earth alone. I get the feeling that he's gonna be the next big threat in the MCU after Thanos is defeated.

The action was really freaking cool! The mirror world was the perfect excuse from the writers to have some pretty trippy actions scenes without having to worry about collateral damage.

The film really manages to capture the trippiness of the other dimensions from the comics really damn well, especially when Strange is first being shown the multiverse. It also makes me chuckle to imagine the director telling the visual effects team to make a scene where Doctor Strange enters a dimension where a bunch of hands start grabbing him before turning into a giant version of his face.

The romance in the film really didn't need to be there. Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy who generally doesn't mind romantic sub-plots (hell, I actually liked Banner and Black Widow in AoU). My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't really add anything to the film, good or bad. Hell, it's not even like it completes Strange's character arc! You could edit it out and Strange's transition from wanting nothing more that to fix his hands to wanting to protect the world would still make complete sense in my opinion.

The after credits scene where Strange tells Thor he'll keep an eye out for Odin makes me wonder if he'll be brought up at all in Thor: Ragnarok. If he does, it'll probably be a throwaway line to explain how Thor knows something he otherwise wouldn't (probably along the lines of "A powerful sorcerer told me about X" or "The mortal named Strange informed me of Y").

greycrusader
11-03-2016, 09:10 AM
The Marvel films have been notoriously poor for carrying villains forward, with the key exception of Loki and the over-arching presence of Thanos. The exception has been the Abomination/Emil Blonsky, along with the potential villainy of the Leader hinted at near the end of the Incredible Hulk movie. I'd like to see Crossbones return in some capacity (surviving the explosion he triggered would be difficult but not impossible to explain in a comic book film, and Crossbones didn't seem the suicidal type), but otherwise the Cinematic MU is sorely lacking in super-villains surviving past their first appearances.

The team vs. team combat in Civil War whetted my appetite for a real four-color throwdown, so I'm still hoping we might see the Avengers go up against a Thanos-assembled supervillain line-up at some point in the Infinity Wars films.

All my best.

luketheduke86
11-03-2016, 11:41 AM
The Marvel films have been notoriously poor for carrying villains forward, with the key exception of Loki and the over-arching presence of Thanos. The exception has been the Abomination/Emil Blonsky, along with the potential villainy of the Leader hinted at near the end of the Incredible Hulk movie. I'd like to see Crossbones return in some capacity (surviving the explosion he triggered would be difficult but not impossible to explain in a comic book film, and Crossbones didn't seem the suicidal type), but otherwise the Cinematic MU is sorely lacking in super-villains surviving past their first appearances.

The team vs. team combat in Civil War whetted my appetite for a real four-color throwdown, so I'm still hoping we might see the Avengers go up against a Thanos-assembled supervillain line-up at some point in the Infinity Wars films.

All my best.

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that, and that wouldn't tough to explain as long as he has the right stones. Intriguing idea, grey.

I have my tickets to see Dr. Strange tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing it on UltraScreen, especially with all of the reality warping bits :D.

witchfire
11-05-2016, 07:05 AM
i wonder why Hydra had Strange on their list of targets in winter soldier
when he wasn't a sorcerer back then ????

or is hydra afraid of self-centerd surgoens with big egos

greycrusader
11-05-2016, 03:48 PM

If Hydra has their share of occultists ( a fair hypothesis, given their Nazi origins), then they likely had Strange identified as someone of great potential mystic might.

(Yes, I know it was really just Marvel being cute and making a continuity error, but I figured I could win a no-prize with my explanation).

All my best.

tomorrowtoday
11-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Well, Dr. Strange was portrayed as basically a wealthy/influential guy with a genius level intellect and what was likely a non-Hydra-friendly psychological profile. In a Hydra-takes-over-the-world scenario, Strange is definitely a better-safe-than-sorry snuff-out... especially in a post-Tony Stark world.

I said this after Civil War too, but this movie once again made me wish more than ever that Marvel would get rights to Dr. Doom back. I think the MCU could have a truly epic version of him emerge at this point... wouldn't even need to include the Fantastic Four. Dr. Doom honestly fits so well in the MCU as its unfolded thus far. He's literally the natural and arguably inevitable progression of overall path the MCU has been taking outside the Infinity Stone uber-plot. Even this films exposition about the Ancient One's pupils/former pupils sets him up so well. Oh, to dream.

kingk
11-05-2016, 06:22 PM

Perhaps given Strange's affinity for neuroscience and neurosurgery, and SHIELD's reliance on a brainwashed assassin? Or general inclination to brainwashing?

savijmuhdrox
11-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Was there anything that explicitly tied Dr. Strange to a specific Marvel time-line? Couldn't he have become Dr. Strange (and had his own story occur) BEFORE the his namedrop in the Winter Soldier?

Sure, he has a sitdown with Beer-Drinking Guy (Spoilers!) in his movie.. but thats much later, after an un-disclosed amount of time has passed..

Once you mentioned the name-drop.. thats immediately what my head-canon did to make sure i didn't go insane from MCU Plothole-itis.

Rusche
11-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Or due to the Eye of Agamotto being the time stone he may have gone back in time or messed with it in some unknown way?

Beleriphon
11-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Was there anything that explicitly tied Dr. Strange to a specific Marvel time-line? Couldn't he have become Dr. Strange (and had his own story occur) BEFORE the his namedrop in the Winter Soldier?

Sure, he has a sitdown with Beer-Drinking Guy (Spoilers!) in his movie.. but thats much later, after an un-disclosed amount of time has passed..

Once you mentioned the name-drop.. thats immediately what my head-canon did to make sure i didn't go insane from MCU Plothole-itis.

As a note the crippled marine colonel he's discussing in his car right before the accident isn't Rhodey. It's the soldier that is testing Justin Hammer's wannabe Iron Man suit, and gets twisted in half at the waist during the live broadcast to congress during Iron Man 2.

Gilliam
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM
I missed that reference but had been wondering the same why Hydra wanted to target him when he wasn't "Dr Strange" at the time so being set back in time makes sense. Is there any official guide to where these movies fit in the timeline?

Bladewind
11-07-2016, 10:07 AM
If you google images of "MCU Timeline" and are prepared to have your eyes bug out for all the wrong reasons... you can get exactly that.

Most pics are too large to post here without shrinking them and doing so makes them unreadable...

Gilliam
11-08-2016, 12:48 AM
Thanks I see what you mean :)

Bladewind
11-08-2016, 06:34 AM
:cool: