PDA

View Full Version : [3e IC] Freedom City Fighters: Episode 1



whiteprofit
10-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Episode 1-1: Punk Rock Zombies
Time: Evening
Location: Freedom City

For everyone, on this random Friday evening, the night was shaping up rather normally until about 6 or 7pm. It was then that the night erupted in a storm of crime all across the city. From muggings to robberies and grand theft auto, all manor of chaos disrupts the normally sane streets of Freedom City.

Eleventh Hour
The world outside Horace Smith's home has turned to chaos. People are looting, brandishing weapons, and stealing police cars. In the wake of the crimes, ordinary citizens are scrambling to get out of the way, but he's already noticed it is hard to distinguish the difference between the victims and the perpetrators. So far, everyone Horace has seen is unmasked and seemingly normal looking. With a quick look at media sources, he discovers that the insanity is city wide, effecting everyone. And so far, the police are dumbfounded and unable to link a cause to the madness. As the situation grows more dire, this looks like a job for... the Eleventh Hour!

Girlilla
Marie Mukumbusu had not been in the United States for very long and was not in any way aware of every single human custom and tradition, but she certainly couldn't think of a legal or positive reason all the public mailboxes on her street were lit on fire. She had planned to go for a walk, but instead found curiosity and a sense of worry about this strange sight. Was it an act of crime? Terror? Or some strange custom or holiday she wasn't aware of?

Shen Lu Mei
Despite the restraining order, Shelly still met Mike and Shen after school most days. She pretended to be in some activity or another to get away with it, and was pretty skilled at finding a reliable cover. Today, they were headed back toward Shelly's house when they saw a man suddenly grab an old lady's purse and try to get away with it.

Neuron
The coffee shop Michael had used to work at had never been so exciting when he'd worked there. Tonight, as he stopped in for a cup of discount coffee (his old friends still gave him the employee discount) a run-away police car came crashing through the front window!

In the front seat, a twelve year old delinquent struggled with consciousness while three, would be coffee drinkers were pinned under the debris and car.

Triskavanski
10-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Horace opens up the window of his shanty little hole in the wall detective agency. Frowning he looks up and down the street. "Not my problem." he remarks to himself, closing the window as he walks back in. "Of course it isn't my problem. Its better that way after all." Yawning, he walks into the bathroom and begins to comb his hair, brush his teeth. "No one is coming to ask me for anything, and I'm not getting paid for it either."

Walking down the stairs, his talk to himself continues. "Perhaps I should go find who ever's problem it is?" With this he puts on his shoes, slips a vest under his jacket and checks himself in the mirror, a small smirk on his face. "After all its always so much better to gloat to them in person when I solve the mystery."

And with that, he quickly steps out, taking a mental note of the numbers of this new breed of criminal.

Batgirl III
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Girlilla

"Siri. Call. Fire. Department." Marrée enunciated each word with an obnoxious slowness. The silly voice recognition software had still had trouble with her French-accented English... And the Bluetooth earpiece she'd been cobbling together didn't quite work right. Not yet. But she couldn't rely on an off-the-shelf model to stay put when she transformed. "No, no, you stupid little... Siri. Call. FIE. UHR. DEE. par. TUH. men. THT."

She hefted the fire extinguisher up, leaning the top slightly over one shoulder with the bottom kind of on her hip. Angling the nozzle she was equally thankfully her apartment building had such a large model in the foyer... And miffed it was so awkward to handle in her present human
form. Lamest super-power in history.

"Yes? Yes!? Emergency services?" she began to blast the mailbox, "I'd like to report a fire. Several fires. 1200 block of Goodall, near Fossey."

whiteprofit
10-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Eleventh Hour
Horace walks calmly down the street while a couple people hurry past him to get to safety. He sees a young mom break through a car window and start pilfering through the stuff. "Hey! That's my car!" yells a neighbor and spooks the young woman back into her own car, who then races down the street with her three kids in the back seat of her minivan.

Around the corner, a group of teens bust open a gift store window and start looting the display window.

Three blocks from there, a young man in a business suit holds up a homeless man for money and then turns on another guy walking home. "Put everything you got in this bag!" he shouts at anyone walking by.

Horace starts counting and logging information away in his brain to try and narrow down the greater cause and affect of the madness Freedom City has found itself in.

I would like to see an Investigation Check to see how well, and quickly, you pick up the pieces.

Girlilla
The fire extinguisher does its job and puts out the one fire. To Marree's left, two more blue mailboxes smoke and sputter with flames, while a longer string of them heads off to the right, toward downtown Freedom City.

"Thank you for reporting your emergency. Is anyone hurt?" comes back the voice on the phone.

kenmadragon
10-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Neuron
HP: 1

Caffeine was a drug. It was an addictive substance that enslaved many an individual to it's cruel existence in a way that was worse than any other addictive drug on the streets. Because every day, millions of people woke up and had a cup of coffee to keep themselves going, to satisfy the cravings... Science proved it.

Michael sighed as he waited in line at the coffee house where he used to work. It was a little nostalgic, but the more Michael thought about it, the nostalgia was undesired. He had used his job here that summer to read the minds of many individuals that walked through those doors, picking up bounds of useful information. There was even a martial arts master who frequented the shop on occasion, as he recalled. Pity, he wasn't there today. The staff were different from the summer he had worked here as well. The manager would probably remember him, but Michael doubted it. Those who would normally remember him weren't working tonight apparently.

The loud crash behind him made him jerk instinctively. Fight or Flight, a reflexive decision that had put Michael on the defensive as he stared at the car that had crashed through the window. A police car... Holy crap, there was a kid in the driver's seat? And people pinned under the car! What the hell was that kid thinking, taking a cop's car out for a joy ride?!?

Rushing forward, Michael's shoes crunched on the glass as he began to strain what little effort he could against the car, give the people pinned a little wiggle room to get free and away from the debris. "Come on, get out from under there!" he shouted, urging them to try and get themselves out. Hells bells, someone ought to be calling the cops... they had a right to know where one of their paddy-wagons was. Besides, Michael wasn't strong enough to lift the thing himself, but that wouldn't keep him from trying anyways...


I know that with Str 0, I'm not gonna be able to lift the car, but what would need to be done to free the people from being pinned under it? Like, is there some kind of metal bar around that I can use like a lever or something? Get those people out from under the car?

Batgirl III
10-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Girlilla

"No... No one appears to be hurt," Marrée explained, "But every mailbox on the block seems to be spontaneously combusting."

"No... Not exploding, combusting." Marrée answered as she half-carried, and was half-carried by, the large extinguisher over to the next mailbox, "They're just... On fire."

whiteprofit
10-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Neuron
The thoughts around Neuron are exclaiming in short bursts of information. Some important, some less so.
<"Someone should call 911!">
<"My legs! I can't feel them. Oh, god, I just knew something terrible was going to happen today.">
<"Is that a police car? What is some kid doing driving a police car? Someone better call 911..">
<[...~~ Static ~~...]">
<"Spinal injuries. We need to worry about spinal injuries. And not move anyone.">
<[...~~ Static ends.....] "Woah, where the hell am I?">

Michael looks around for something to help him lift the car. He sees two bystanders, and one barista, but nothing inanimate that will be strong enough to lift the car.

Girlilla
"Thank you for reporting your emergency. I've notified both the police and fire departments and I advise you to go inside and stay out of the streets. There seems to be a lot going on dangerous things going on tonight. Be careful."

The reporter confirms that she can hang up one last time but seems bent on not being on the phone any longer. Apparently Marree's burning mailboxes is the least of her worries tonight. The fire extinguisher explodes in a blast of chemicals and douses another fire.

"You got any money, kid?" a voice asks from behind her. "I need everything you've got." Marree's neighbor, who is usually unconditionally nice to her, is now holding her at knife point. He's got a large kitchen knife and doesn't look like he's ever used it to do more than cut carrots with it. But still, he's standing there asking the question and Marree knows she's got to be careful.

Batgirl III
10-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Girlilla

"You got any money, kid?" Came the uncharacteristically somber voice of Mr... Uh... Mr. Guy Next Door. She really needed to get better at remembering names, "I need everything you've got."

"Sorry, um... Sorry, mate." Marrée back-peddled, wondering why she was spontaneously sounding like an extra on Doctor Who and why she'd left her taser inside, "But I'm in my pajamas, yeah? Don't keep cash in my flannel Johnny Rocket pants..."

Persuasion (keeping him calm) (http://orokos.com/roll/229298): 1d20+3 8

It's just a small fire. Grab the extinguisher. You don't need your utility belt. she cursed herself for taking her own advice as she took another step back from the knife-wielding man. This is not how my superhero career was supposed to end. This guy wasn't a super-villain. Heck, he wasn't even a real criminal.

Marrée chanced taking her eyes off the guy, for just a second, to see if they were alone. She didn't want to transform in front of witnesses.

Perception (http://orokos.com/roll/229297): 1d20+8 26

whiteprofit
10-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Girlilla
Mr. Neighbor fidgets with the knowledge of your simple explanation and not trusting you. He looks around as well, and spots a more lucrative looking couple turn down a side street.

"Fine," he says. "Have a goodnight and get home safe."

Marree is aware that she is now the only person on her street for a second or two. She could change now and likely no one would see, or she could head to a small break between two apartment buildings and do it there. Then she wouldn't ruin her pajamas and could stash them at the same time.

kenmadragon
10-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Neuron
HP: 1

"Hey, you two!" Michael called out to the two ordinary joes that were still startled by the whole ordeal. They weren't doing anything... Ah, right. Bystander effect. The mind always assumes that someone else will deal with an obvious problem, and thus does nothing. He had to get them to help, but if they saw him trying to help, they wouldn't. Best make this personal for them. "Yeah, you, mister black suit and tie! Get over here, help me get this damn car off these people. You too, mister bald green-shirt!" he shouted as he strained against the car, trying to ease it up just a few inches. A glance out of the side of his eyes noticed the barista behind the counter still shaking from the crash. She was just staring at him, not doing anything... and that wouldn't do. "Come on, lady! Pick up the damn phone and dial 911! We need an ambulance! Yes, you, Miss Barista! Damn it people, do something!"

In his mind, Michael could already hear the joy rider waking up from the crash. And his thoughts were clouded, and uncertain... and stoned. Or incredibly drunk. Oh, just perfect. Michael thought of simply overloading the man's synapses with the sensation of twenty simultaneous hangovers just to teach him a lesson, but what was the point in that when he had to focus on trying to get the car off the people still trapped underneath.


Psychologist knows that people are more likely to help someone in a distressful situation when they are pointed out specifically by the person calling for help. Michael's gonna use that knowledge to egg these people into action, when they would rather do nothing (as is the bystander effect). Hopefully, working together we can make a team Strength check to get the car up a little so someone can get those people out from under there, and make it easier for the EMTs when they get here. My contribution to the Strength check: 1d20+0=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4693251/)

whiteprofit
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Neuron
"um, okay," the guys say, and together they are able to lift the car enough for people to crawl out from under it. No one is so seriously injured that they can't move themselves, <"yet that's not necessarily a sign that they aren't injured. Everyone's necks and spines should be restrained, if possible...">

The thoughts are coming from a med student, one who is now climbing over the wreckage of the police car and into the shop. "Is everyone okay?" she asks. "I saw the accident from across the street. We need to stabilize these people. Has anyone checked on the driver?"

Everyone seems to be in shell shock except yours truly and the girl, Anna is her name, who is looking around for useful information. Eventually, her eyes land on Michael for help. <"He's cute. I hope he's not dumb and can tell me what's going on...">

In case it isn't clear, <"... "> denotes thoughts instead of spoken words. Trying to think like a mind reader and give you what you would easily be able to pick up and put you ahead in a conversation (whether you use it or not) like a telepath would. If there is specific information you are looking for or want, you can always ask for it.

kenmadragon
10-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Neuron
HP: 1

Michael looked up in the direction of the speaking mind. He almost began to return the remarks when he remembered they were thoughts. Secrets, of course. "Driver's still in the car... Pretty out of it by the looks of him." he said as he tried to keep the necks and spines of those pinned by the car when it crashed through relatively flat against the ground. Looking to the people they had managed to get out from under the wreck, he muttered "Try not to move. No telling what internal injuries you might have had when the car came through... Don't want to make things worse..."

"Now, miss? You a doctor? Nurse? In training? I'm not, so if you would help? I don't know how to really treat wounds, so I'll get the idiot out of the driver's seat." he explained as he moved to the car, opening the door as he looked to get the driver out of the car. He was careful not to leave much of a mark for forensics later, but he wanted a better look at the driver. Both physically and mentally. If the man was as drunk or as high as he had guessed, there wasn't really much else to look for, but if it was something else... It probably wasn't anything else.

Triskavanski
10-27-2014, 06:47 PM
11th Hour
1: hp

Hoarce wasn't doing to much to look for clues, after all there was clues around him. The movement of people, which people are afflicted, how they act, talk, and what have you. Those were the first things he needed to know, wandering off around town in hopes to find something would be just that, wandering.

Surely all these criminals had to have somethings in common, some sort of thing, and binding force connecting them and quite possibly what was driving them to perform these acts.


1d20+12=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4691451/) investigation

Batgirl III
10-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Girlilla

Marrée darted back inside the building, fingers tugging at the drawstring on her pajama bottoms. Human fingers were surprisingly dexterous... She hopped out of her pants and kicked the door close behind her.

She quickly got into her "costume," such as it was. A pair of over-sixes spandex bicycle shorts... that at present hung loose and baggy, like a Samurai's hakama. Her utility harness with all of her gear and gadgets, at present, hung like a loose photographers' vest. But she knew it had enough play in the spandex straps to fit comfortably at her normal size. Westerners and their nudity taboo, what was a gorilla to do?

Thankfully, she had left her handheld scanner set to monitoring police and emergency broadcast frequencies. She gave it a warm-up thump as she fished it out of her harness. As she suspected, it was lit up like a Christmas tree. She listened in while making her way up to the roof.


Handheld Scanner Senses 5 (Radio: Radio [1], Extended [x1000, 2], Direction Sense [1], Tracking [1])

She picked the emergency that sounded most promising, made a note of the intersection, and shifted back into her true form as she crossed the gravel rooftop.

"Look up in the sky: it's a bird, it's Centurion... No!" her grappling hook flew like a flash, "It's the galavanting Girlilla!

whiteprofit
10-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Neuron
The mind of the driver is foggy at best, but not on drugs. Neuron had felt the presence of foreign substances on other's minds many times, and this wasn't that. The static he had heard when the car had come through the window was gone, but the hole of memories for this kid is still very real. <"How did I end up in a police car?"> the kids wonders. There is a gash above his eyebrow where he hit the steering wheel and his face is puffy from the airbag. <"I don't know how to drive...">

The last thing the boy remembers is getting home from school as normal and then downloading new music from the band he'd just seen the night before. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Outside the coffee shop, Michael senses a person pass by who's thoughts are particularly intriguing at this moment, amongst a growing panic and fear from more average minds in the area. <"There are so many clues, I don't even have to look for them,"> the mind thinks. <"Female, about 25. Shoplifting; Male. 29 or 30. fit. stealing a car; Male. older teens. vandalism. Second police car I've seen tonight. Make that three...">

Girlilla
The radio Girlilla has informs her of several requests for police attention. Most of the return messages are from pedestrian sounding voices that include hollering, smack talk, and down-right unprofessional responses.

Swinging through the streets, Girlilla is on the move. She quickly learns that burning trashcans is the least of her worries for now. She notices a police car being chased by two others and a store owner chasing after her neighbor, who has just picked up the entire cash register from the counter and bolted for the door.

11thHour
Horace's stroll through Freedom City gives him several pieces of information. First, all of the stolen vehicles he's seen driving wildly are police cars. Second, the majority of crimes being committed are all stolen goods or damage to public property. And thirdly, the average age of perpetrators are young 20-somtehings, but range from 14 to 32. Excluding one soccer mom leaving her kids in the van to steal some money from an old lady and two older fathers with their young teens breaking into a store.

kenmadragon
10-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Neuron
HP: 1

Michael frowned as he looked the guy over. He didn't smell drunk. And a quick scan of the guy's thoughts showed genuine confusion. As if the man truly couldn't remember what had happened to him. Weird. Looking deeper, Michael found he couldn't find the line of memories that would lead to this. No substances seemed to be messing with him, just a psychic void where his memories were - the sort that people had when they suffered from amnesia. Jeez, and the guy didn't even look old enough to drive. Probably out for a joy-ride in a stolen cop car, messed up and crashed. The crash probably knocked his head about, and his mind likely blanked on the memories of recent events as a result. But, the memory would still be there somewhere. The amnesia shouldn't be that clean...

"Hey, pal." Michael said to the young driver, waving a hand in front of the boy's face to draw his focus. "You okay? What's the last thing you remember?" he asked, mentally probing for information. If the boy began to think about what he could actually remember, then Michael would ride that thought process, delve in deeper into the man's mind and deduce something from what memories he had but couldn't remember himself - the unconscious thoughts.


Aiming for the 4th degree of Mind Reading, using the Effortless and Cumulative one. Mind Reading 1d20+10=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4695969/) resisted by Will save.

Evolución
10-28-2014, 11:50 AM
"Stay here and safe." Shen quickly said to both his friends. He trotted a few steps towards obvious danger "Hey! Leave that old lady alone you creep! Come take my money if you can." It was so easy to provoke bullies and criminals that Shen didn't even tried hard any more.

Deception: 14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696088/)to make him come closer to Shen.

Triskavanski
10-28-2014, 01:31 PM
11Th Hour
1Hp


Horace stood for a moment scratching his head. Beyond a few odd balls, all of them had a very close age range. Thier crimes where all very simliar as well.

Possibly it was all organized by someone who didn't include him."whelp, only one way to solve this, " he says moving up to the van, and leans up against to wait for the soccor mom, as he thinks what to say to her.

"Note to self, purchase identification machine."

whiteprofit
10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Neuron
It is easy for Neuron to enter the kids mind and find that nothing is there. The last forty minutes of his life were not recorded in his own memory banks. The radio, however, is blasting sounds of the band the kid was downloading. As both of them listen to the music, Neuron can sense the static effect that had controlled the boys mind earlier, start to come back. An image of a pink haired girl on stage, hundreds or so people in a pit, and then her eyes fill the boys head.

The next thing Michael knows, and the boy's mind is static again and he can't read anything.

Michael can logically deduce that the static is caused by the music.
It seems to have no effect on him or anyone else in the coffee shop.
There is no memory of anything that happens to the kid during the static control.

11th Hour
The kids in the mom van look at Horace with skepticism. "We're not allowed to talk to strangers," the girl says.

"What about mom?" the boy asks. "She's acting really strange right now."

Shen Lu Mei
The cord on the purse snaps and the their gets it away from the old lady. At Shen's invitation, he seems to think he might as well try. "Okay," the unmasked man says. "Give me your money too."

Triskavanski
10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
11th Hour
1hp 4Lp

Horace blinks, turning around. "Oh right, children. Like people only smaller.. talk more." he pauses as he continues watching the events going on. "And smarter too. Talking to strangers is bad after all, you shouldn't talk to them. You're right about that." He pulls out a few business cards and passes them into the window. "You can call me Mr. Detective. Horace.. There, I'm no longer a stranger, so we can talk now." he nods at the logical conclusion. "So, when did mummy start acting strange?"



1d20+11=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696633/) Persuasion. Isn't there something I could do with my normal hero point for that roll?

whiteprofit
10-28-2014, 08:46 PM
11th Hour
The kids look up at the radio in the front of the car. "Ever since the music changed."

"Yeah, it has been playing the same songs over and over again." The sister seems more comfortable every time her brother speaks to Horace.

"I think it's that group she went with Courtney to go see."

"Courtney is our older sister."

Triskavanski
10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
11th Hour
1 hp 4 Lp

"Courtney.. Courtney.. Its always Courtney isn't it?" he hums rubbing his chin as he looks at the two kids, pointing at them, counting one, two.. one two.. "So there is a third one. Right of course. Is uh.. uh.. your older sister running around all like this as well?" He hums, pausing as he begins thinking, attempting to recollect what he could remember showing up. "Do you know what the group was? I'm going to get down to my detective business and solve this and help your mother get back to normal. Trust me, I'm a professional."

whiteprofit
10-28-2014, 09:09 PM
11th Hour
The kids look at each other and then back at the odd talking man. "No idea. We haven't seen Courtney yet, she's at school still."

"And we don't listen to her music. It's stupid."

Up ahead in the street, a police car swerves into a coffee shop window. The damage looks bad and there may be some clues inside as to why all the cars being stolen tonight are normally driven by cops.


Can't just go give'n you ALL the answers in one stop. :)

Triskavanski
10-28-2014, 09:23 PM
11th Hour
1 HP 4 LP

"Right right. Good on you two, don't ever pick it up. Dangerous habit." He says, turning his attention towards the police car now. "Now then, stay here in the van." he says waving to them as he beings heading to the car, keeping his alertness open as he approaches.

Horace felt alright leaving the kids in the Van. After all, no one is stealing vans. If they were outside, worse might befall them. Besides, time was of the essence and if he could solve the puzzle faster, everyone would be safer faster.


Most of the answers I've gotten I've assumed where such OOC. Now my character and I are on closer to the same page.

Evolución
10-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Shen takes a minute to study the man's face. His clothes, whether he has a weapon or not. "You are the dumbest felon I've ever seen, you know? Let me tell you how it works: You have to hit me in order to get my money. Here in the face for example." the chubby chinese teen says, pointing at his chin. Behind him, a puddle of slippery mud awaits anyone stupid enough to put a foot on it.

OOC: Using Trick to fool the guy into hitting me, if he fails he slips on the mud: 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696964/) Sucks! I'll reroll using second chance: 30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696967/) Now that's more likely.

kenmadragon
10-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Neuron
HP: 1

Michael frowned as he noticed the correlation between the mental static in the driver's mind and the strange effect of the music. And there was that image the kid had seen... a pink haired girl surrounded by people while one stage, singing and playing a guitar... and then the last thing the boy could remember was her eyes filling his vision, his mind and thoughts.

Hypnosis. Granted, it wasn't like the usual hypnosis of classic (and contemporary) psychology, but the effect was mindbogglingly similar. A manner of mass mind control - channeled through music. Devious. But the song was still playing on the radio, and Michael couldn't feel the effect from it. Nor did any in the coffee shop seem adversely effected. So it was in the music - it had to be direct from the girl. So it wasn't in the music exactly, but in the individual... and given how her eyes were the last thing the boy could remember, that sealed it.

It was once believed that the eyes were windows to the soul. Poetry, but there was a manner of truth to them. When doing a cold read of an individual, analysts not only used their body posture and mannerisms to deduce information, but also noted the individual's eyes. The way the eyes moved, where they were looking, and all those little details - they gave away a lot. And in old stage hypnosis, hypnotists would always say "Look into my eyes" - straining on the superstition that the eyes of one with mystic powers had mind-altering effects. They weren't too far from the truth, but then again, superstitions aren't always completely true.

Nevertheless, there was the matter of the pink haired girl... who was she? She seemed famous if she was singing on a stage surrounded by people, but Michael just couldn't put his finger on who it was... it was on the tip of his tongue...


This is where Eidetic Memory/Jack of All Trades and Well Informed come in handy! What can Neuron remember about her? Eidetic Memory 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4697089/) and Well Informed 25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4697091/)

Batgirl III
10-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Girlilla

Between the car chase and the fleeing cash register thief, the mad motorists seemed like a greater danger to life and limb. Girlilla shifted her weight and her next swing landed her on the street a little ahead of and to the left of the lead cars path.

"C'mere you maniac!" she leveled her grappling hook, waited for the right moment, and fired.

Move Action and Free Action: Land in proper position and switch AE's on the grappling hook gun.

Standard Action: Assuming a fast-moving police cruiser doesn't count as an "inanimate object" so no Routine Check. Girlilla will fire her grappling hook with Accurate Attack (+3): Ranged Attack (http://orokos.com/roll/229676): 1d20+5 18

If that hits, her currently Grapple DC would be DC17.

whiteprofit
10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Girlilla
The grappling hook catches the cop car squarely above the rear tire. Girlilla digs in, anticipates and prepares for the pull, holds the line, and then successfully slows and fishtails the car. The car, however, pulls back and suddenly Girlilla's feet are not on the ground and she is flying through the air!

Successful Grapple of the car.
Hero Point for the GM imposed fail on a strength check to restrain the vehicle. (I need her to make an entrance and cause another... :) )

Shen Lu Mei

Keep your point for the re-roll
The man stops abruptly and says, "I don't want to punch you, kid. I just need the money. It's my job, to collect as much as I can."

The small break in his escape has given the old woman enough time to get closer and start swatting the man with her cane. He takes off in hurry after that.

Shen Lu and his friends are left bewildered but he encounter. But before Shen can worry about not getting enough action as a hero in, he catches a police car go racing down the street. A gorilla swings out of the air, hooks it with a grappling gun, and then yanks it to a stop. Or at least she tries. The car yanks back, fishtails off the side of the road, and sends the hefty shape of the gorilla right toward Shen and his friends!

11th Hour
As you approach the store front, you can see a woman attending to injuries while a young man stares into the eyes of the teen driver. He seems focused on seeing something, as if he were looking into the boy's soul or mind.

Just descriptor, you have no real reason to figure out Neuron is a mind reader yet, but it won't take 11th hour much time depending on the nature of their conversation, if they have one.

Neuron
The pink haired girl is the leader of the Headliners, an up and coming band that the young teen has recently seen in concert. Which also share the same memories Michael saw when the music started and the hypnotism took hold again.

Triskavanski
10-29-2014, 09:23 PM
11th Hour
1 HP 4 LP


Horace slowly walks up closer, looking to the woman treating injuries, then two the two having a staring contest. Glancing between the two.. clearly something at least was going on here. But what exactly?

"Do they have googly eyes for each other?"

Evolución
10-30-2014, 05:52 AM
He had met all kinds of bullies and thieves in his short life, and none had refrained from punching a defenceless kid in the face to get his money. This left Shen wondering what was behind this theft, just when a giant gorilla appears out of nothing, threaten to crush him and his friends underneath! He snaps out of his trance and pushes Mike and Shelly aside, closing his eyes and bracing for the impact....

OOC: Activating Punch proof, and Punching Bag. Shen takes half damage from bludgeoning effects like say, a gorilla drops on you from the sky. The rank of the effect boosts his strength and stamina 1/r.

kenmadragon
10-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Neuron
HP: 1

Michael frowned as he dragged the kid out of the driver's seat with a grunt of effort. Checking the kid for any serious injuries, Michael made sure the kid would survive till the EMTs showed up, before standing and going to the med student. "Hey," he interrupted her while she was attending to the injuries of one of those trapped under the car. "These people gonna be okay?" Michael asked, a little concerned, as he began to think about the possibilities of hypnotic music in a concert - so many people affected, that could cause a lot of chaos. Which, of course, was bad news for everyone. Still, he had to make sure those who had been involved in the crash were fine before he could do anything about the pink haired girl and her band, the Headliners.

Triskavanski
10-30-2014, 08:13 PM
11th Hour

1hp 4lp

Horace blinks, stepping back away from the man and the kid as their staring contest is broken. He glances around looking at the injured and the medical student. "So.. you aren't in love with each other? Good to note." he nods, pulling out two business cards for the medical student and the other guy. "Name's Horace, Owner of the last minute detective agency."

whiteprofit
10-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Girlilla and Shen Lu Mei


Girlilla's fall is broken, Shen must make a toughness save based on the damage of Girlilla's Growth of Rank 4. Half of that is Rank 2, so the save is 17.

Batgirl III
10-31-2014, 02:52 PM
GIRLILLA
HP: 2

Well, this is a genuinely unexpected outcome. Girlilla thought, trying her best to reel herself in, I do believe the official term is "real revolting ' development."

"Gangway! Incoming gorilla!"

Evolución
11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Shen's body blobs back and forth as the flying primate hits him. He always hated the sensation of the impact energy coursing his body and making it vibrate. His density increases, making him more heavy. He adjusts his bent glasses, incredulous of what he had just heard. "You can speak?" he said, dumbfolded.

Toughness 22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4701216/) Shen has a +5 to STR and STA.

whiteprofit
11-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Girlilla and Shen
The car Girlilla had been attached to has steered off into a coffeeshop window to liven up their day quite a bit. People have started running to the rescue as the two yet-to-be-discovered heroes meet for the first time...

Neuron and Horace
The med student waves Neuron away, her head full of her next steps in preserving the lives of those around her.

Horace holds his hand out with his business card and Neuron reads his mind. It is convoluted at best, well intentioned, but flying at a mile a minute taking in details, facts, theories, and probable cause of the chaos outside. It doesn't take Neuron more than a few seconds of reading to realize that this isn't an isolated incident. There are crazy people all over the city.


I was trying to stay out of the way of player interaction.

kenmadragon
11-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Neuron
HP: 1 Cond: Intruiged

Michael frowned as he looked up at the strange man saying strange things and handing him a card with an introduction. A detective agency? What was a PI doing here? Something was definitely up. Let's see what the man's brain had to say...

Information overload.

WHOA!!! That was a whole lot to take in at once. That... that was different. Still, he got a good deal of information that he didn't have before. The man's strange take on his recent experiences walking down the street had given Neuron a glimpse into the madness that was now suddenly descending upon the city.

The kid in the cop-car wasn't the only hypnotized sound-slave in the city. Damn.

"Um... thanks." Michael said after a moment, shaking himself back to his own thought patterns and away from the convoluted mess that was "Horace". "So... any idea when the cops'll get here? Because I think they'll want to know where their car is..."

Triskavanski
11-10-2014, 12:12 PM
11th Hour.
1Hp

Griving a bit of a lopsided grin, "Not a clue, haven't seen a single one. They could be some of the people driving the cars around." Glancing around, he hums, "whelp no sense staying here. Wait no, actually"

Turning back to him, "Anyone you know listening to music?"

whiteprofit
11-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Episode 1-2: Please Don't Stop the Music
Time: Evening
Location: Freedom City

There is a burst of jet propulsion that interrupts any conversations being had. Outside the coffee shop, only a few yards from Girlilla and Shen, Goldmax lands in the street. Freedom City's armored hero announces in a microphone enhanced voice, "Is everyone alright here? Is there anyone that can tell me what happened here?" Despite the open invitation, he seems to be asking the gorilla and the boy.

Neuron hears Goldmax land, but can't get inside his head. Either Goldmax is trained in blocking mind reading, or his helmet is helping. Either way, he can't pick up much more than a blip of human presence inside.

Horace is overly aware that he has a lot of information that might be useful.

Evolución
11-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Shen lets the gorila on its own, and rushes towards Goldmax. "Goldmax sir! I can't quite tell what's going on, but everything seems to be turning upside down. Some person tried to rob an old lady, I thought it was a crook but then it refused to attack me for my money! He said "I don't want to punch you, kid. I just need the money. It's my job, to collect as much as I can." which sounded reaaaally odd." quickly spelled the chubby young man, hoping the reknown superhero could do something about this mess. "Also, a gorilla dropped from a car." he ads, pointing at Girilla.

whiteprofit
11-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Goldmax
Goldmax's iron face does not change, but there is a pause as he considers the unmasked, unmarked, and visibly unremarkable boy and says, "I believe the city is being brainwashed. You should find somewhere safe and stay there for now. Don't worry, though, I am gathering a team to stop this as soon as I can."

To the primate hero, he asks, "Are you okay, Girlilla? I don't have much information on you in my databases, but everything intelligence has gathered says you fight for this city, not against it. Are you in any particular shape to coordinate your efforts with mine?"


So, one of the biggest struggles here is getting four unmasked heroes to be recognized by a fully armored, old school hero. So feel free to fight your case and get in on the action.

Evolución
11-20-2014, 08:18 AM
"I can do that for sure, OR I could help you out, seems you got your hands full. I can take a punch. Or a flying gorilla in the face." Shen says.

Batgirl III
11-20-2014, 04:16 PM
GIRLILLA
[size=2]HP: 1
Condition: Normal

"No one appears seriously injured. Physically." Girlilla explained to Goldmax, as she approached the car sticking out of the window, "But, I haven't exactly had time to perform a proper diagnosis. Psychology isn't my field, but I'd say we have some sort of mass sociogenic illness at work." she paused to take a firm grip of the car's lower frame, gave a small tug to ensure it wasn't about to tear loose, "Although perhaps psychogenic would be more accurate. At this point, I'm unsure as too both a precise diagnosis, transmission vector, or pathology."

She grunted, and pulled the car free of the café window. Dropping it as gently as one could drop a smashed police cruiser on the curb. The red paint indicated "no parking," but she figured the police department probably had bigger concerns right now than issuing themselves a ticket.

"This young man, whom so gallantly broke my fall, seems to have been struck by a temporary paralysis of the vocal cords." Girlilla flashed him a grin that was probably meant to be reassuring (humans liked grins) but probably wasn't due to her fangs (which is why gorillas don't normally grin). She though better of it and gave Shen a hearty thumbs up. "Thanks for trying to catch me, all the same. Goldmax, have we got any idea how far this... Whatever this is... Has spread?"

Batgirl III
11-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Awkward post delay. Sorry about that. My ISP is being weird.

kenmadragon
11-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Neuron
HP: 1

"Not that I know of." Michael said, a little creeped out by the strange man asking him questions. From what Michael could tell, the man's mind was a mess. Honestly, it was intelligent and bright, quite smart, but oh so very insane.

Then there was a presence that arrived and boomed with a voice, like from a loudspeaker. And from what Michael could sense, the man seemed almost shielded. Interesting. That was a rare thing to encounter indeed, a man capable of blocking out a telepath. Michael was usually capable of getting past defenses before people can even try to resist, but it felt like this man was actively shielding himself from telepathic intrusion at all times. That spoke to the manner of individual that appeared from apparently above and speaking on a loudspeaker. "Wonder who that is." Michael questioned aloud.

Triskavanski
11-22-2014, 11:09 AM
11th Hour
1 HP 4 LP

"Ah then, that good. Remember, not to listen." he remarks, turning to head out the door now. "Well then, In that case, I suppose I should continue to find more clues.. and the Voice sounds like a good place to start." He did find he talked out loud a bit often of what he was going to do, or about to do, but never really did anything to fix it.

Hourace, stepped out, and just stopped. Even for him the situation took a bit to compute. There was a gorilla, a man in a shiney costume and then a kid of some kind next to the gorilla. "Well... thats a thing.. that happened." he mutters under his breath, before coming closer. They seem to be having a bit of a pleasent talk and aren't affected by The Music. "Alright, the other two in there didn't know of anyone, but would any of you know of people who are listening to music?" he asks. Somewhere in the back of his mind he expected the gorillia to point at herself and begin signing how someone she knew was listening to music.

whiteprofit
11-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Goldmax - Everyone
Girlilla excavates the car from the window which allows the two gentlemen inside to join the odd assembly outside. The group is now standing on the sidewalk in front of the coffee shop.

"I'm afraid the infection, or rather brainwashing, is citywide. As this gentleman seems to have figured out," Goldmax says, motioning toward Horace, "There is a broadcast being sent out on a radio frequency that is infecting a select population of people. The victims are then exacting an unknown mission that involves stealing police vehicles and money, as well as stirring up a general amount of chaos."

"Excuse me." Goldmax takes a moment to listen to an incoming message, with his hand to his ear. "Sorry, that was one of my teams in the city. They seem to have identified the group at the root of all this and are going after them. That leaves shutting the broadcast down to me. I will likely need any help I can get and my sensors have identified each of you as above average citizens. It would be incredibly fortunate if you were willing to help the city in this hour of need. Any takers?"


I hope it's not too much for Goldmax to identify each person. I went off the following assumptions:
Facial recognition is getting pretty accurate even in today's technology.
Shen's mutation revelation was a public event that would have gained note in a database somewhere.
Neuron's bg allows for Goldmax to know him through the 'hero network' and be able to id him.
Horace, having solved past crimes while 'out to get milk' would have been noted in a database as well.
And Girlilla is a giant Gorilla doing good in a big city. She's easily made note in the hero community.

Triskavanski
11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
11th Hour
1 HP 4 LP

Horace sighs, shaking his head. "Honestly, this is why I took up my business in the first place. I knew that there would be things like this that only I could pull through at the last moment, you had me at police being ineffective as usual." He slowly walks around the group, keeping a watchful eye on the other four, running through measurements in his head to figuring out their height and weight by comparing it to other things around them. Calculations like this were important to be able to succeed.

Evolución
11-24-2014, 01:31 PM
"Sure thing, but where do we start?" the boy said, eagerly. He glanced at the two coming from the coffee shop, not really knowing how to react. He remained quiet for the moment, he was the youngest of the five that had gathered there, so it was time to learn not to speak. He gave a casual look towards where his friends were, to see if they had gotten to safety.

whiteprofit
11-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Goldmax

"Great question," Goldmax says to the youngest recruit. Across the street, Shen's friends look on at the meeting of supers just as interested as all the other bystanders.

"I'm having trouble figuring out where it might be. There are only two broadcasting stations in the city that could do something like this. STARadio and Broadcasting and Future Radio. I can't figure out which one it is, and I don't exactly want to go blowing up antennas on rooftops to figure it out. Those radio towers do a lot more than just provide radio shows and I can't afford to fix them all tomorrow. I need help."

The iron hero looks at Horace and Michael. "Any thoughts?" He asks them both.