PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Move Object + Throwing Mastery

MrKinister
10-21-2014, 01:36 PM
For Move Object, you can add "Throwing Mastery" to it, to represent the fact that you are "really good at throwing objects" with that power. The effect of Throwing Mastery is to allow extra Damage to be done above and beyond the ranks in Move Object.

Now, you can grab a target enemy (that pesky villain with the really nasty damage aura) and throw them for X ranks of Damage (where X = ranks of Move Object). BUT... if you have that Throwing Mastery, does the the grabbed enemy take just the ranks of Move Object damage, or Move Object + Throwing Mastery damage combined?

In the GM's Guide when you do Knockback to someone else and they hit "someone" (not something), the effect is like a Slam, with damage TO BOTH equal to the "original attack".

So, for the sake of the example, if you were to throw a "paper clip", with a Move Object 1 + Throwing Mastery 9 (for a total attack effect of 10), and your target takes knockback, they hit anyone they fly into with a Slam 10 attack, right? Pretty powerful right there.

Has anyone played with this effect? To deliberately throw an object, in this case, a PC or NPC, into another PC or NPC, just for the express purpose of doing damage to both "with additional Throwing Mastery"?

It seems to make sense, but it also seems so powerful that it is almost unbalanced in my mind.

What are your ideas?

digitalangel
10-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't count the more damage from Throwing Mastery towards knockback than the base effect personally. Your example of the paperclip with Move Object 1 and Throwing Mastery 9 is more like the scene from Daredevil where Bullseye kills the guy in the bar with the paperclips by straightening them and thowing them into his throat. I'd treat it like Damage 1-2 for knockback because knockback 10 from a paperclip is just silly even for a comic book setting, at that point your throwing mastery beause more of a Penetrating effect than extra damage (or just put a hole straight through the target and out the other side. It's similar to hitting a person with a larger caliber bullet, once you cross a certain threshold (upwards of .40/.45 caliber) there is too much energy for the target to absorb it all and a lot of stopping power is wasted (for knockback/stopping purposes) into just blowing a hole in them.

To your other queation: a common quote from a former (fantasy) group of mine was

Player:How much damage does a goblin do?
GM: let me double check.
Player: No I pick up the goblin and throw him at his friends, how much damage does a goblin do?

If you throw a character with an aura attack at someone else, you would resolve the damage from the throw like it was a slam to both of them and then either add the ranks of the aura to the person without it or have them roll against it afterwards.

Now, you can grab a target enemy (that pesky villain with the really nasty damage aura) and throw them for X ranks of Damage (where X = ranks of Move Object). BUT... if you have that Throwing Mastery, does the the grabbed enemy take just the ranks of Move Object damage, or Move Object + Throwing Mastery damage combined?
Move Object + Throwing Mastery damage combined, would be my answer in that case.

MrKinister
10-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't count the more damage from Throwing Mastery towards knockback than the base effect personally. Your example of the paperclip with Move Object 1 and Throwing Mastery 9 is more like the scene from Daredevil where Bullseye kills the guy in the bar with the paperclips by straightening them and thowing them into his throat. I'd treat it like Damage 1-2 for knockback because knockback 10 from a paperclip is just silly even for a comic book setting, at that point your throwing mastery beause more of a Penetrating effect than extra damage (or just put a hole straight through the target and out the other side. It's similar to hitting a person with a larger caliber bullet, once you cross a certain threshold (upwards of .40/.45 caliber) there is too much energy for the target to absorb it all and a lot of stopping power is wasted (for knockback/stopping purposes) into just blowing a hole in them.

Yeah, that would be one way of looking at it. I deliberately threw in the MO1+TM9 to make it an extreme example. But if extremes are an issue, then where would you find the balance point? At MO2/TM8? MO4/TM6? At which point does it make sense to you?

But the knockback question was not really the point. I threw that in there as an example of how it is possible to draw some inferences or extrapolations from things like how Knockback handles moving objects colliding into each other. Whether it is by "accident", as in Knockback, or deliberately, as in a throw, the mechanics of "impact" should remain the same.

I haven't seen "throw" specific maneuvers in the book yet, but I do know if you throw something, you do STR ranks Damage, and the object flies STR ranks - Mass ranks far.

I suppose there are "descriptors" to consider as well (Gambit comes to mind), but I wanted to hear if other people had run into this.

Edit:
And as I think about this, Knockback does address the rules that an object being hit by a knocked back character can only do a max damage as its Toughness score. So that paperclip, with a toughness of -10 (?) (according to "how to break objects") would do just about no damage if you were to "hit" it while being knocked back. But throwing it with Throwing Mastery 9 sure hurts! :-)