PDA

View Full Version : Something fun - Create that power game?

Triskavanski
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Just a little something of a fun idea, but what if there was a forum game of power creating? Like we pick something from a game or movie or tv show and then try to come up with the way of doing it that fit? I'd imagine it would help with creating a big depository of various powers

rwknoll
10-09-2014, 03:14 PM
I know a lot of people get their kicks doing that in the Roll Call thread, but I think this is a neat idea and I would enjoy reading the thread. :)

rlwr
10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
being as though you already started this one lets just have it here. Here are a few challenges off the top of my head. 1.a tackle power american football not fishing. 2. a submission hold like in professional wrestling 3. a high risk of self injury/ high reward type move also like in professional wrestling 4. break the wrist walk away 5. hit them with the ugly stick 7. narutos harem jutsu 8.sharingan bakugan and riningan from naruto 9. I know kung fu and other learn it now cause Im in the matrix type abilities 10. a pokeball. that should be a good start.

Kyle
10-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Sounds fun, I'm down.

rlwr
10-15-2014, 09:06 AM
one Ive been mulling over is a super athletics feature where you can now use your athletics check to get temporary movement powers, eg in raw you can get speed, but also giving a rank of leaping, or swimming.

Kasseopea
10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Naruto's Harem Jutsu should me Duplication with a linked Morph. Pretty simple.

Sharingan would be basically Senses + Increased Range Affliction (hypnosis stuff) + Enhanced Insight + Mimic.
Byakugan could be accomplished with Enhanced Awareness + Senses
Rinnegan is just OP^^

JDRook
10-16-2014, 12:41 AM
1.a tackle power american football not fishing.
I figure the end goal of a solid tackle should leave a target Prone and Immobile, both 2nd degree conditions.
Tackle - Affliction (Impaired/Hindered>Prone/Immobile); Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength; Extra Condition +1; Grab-based -1, Limited Degree -1 = 1p / 2 ranks.
Tackles are usually done at the end of Move Actions, so it could also work with Charge or Slam Attacks. If you want a really hard (ie Damaging) Tackle, link Damage to it.
I thought about adding Cumulative, but that would really be for either hanging on or multiple tacklers. If a grabber hanging on wanted to improve his grip, I say he tries again as a standard grab (although the target is probably at least Impaired) unless he has some kind of constricting powers. As for gangs of tacklers, they can use the Team Attack and Aid rules.
Also, you could do all this just with maneuvers. Move or Charge/Slam to Grab = 0p. Add in Fast Grab (1p) and your Slam can do damage and be a Grab as a Reaction.

2. a submission hold like in professional wrestling
The Power Profiles actually have a Sleeper Hold, which is a Fort-resisted Progressive Grab-based Affliction (Dazed>Stunned>Incap) for 2p/rank. The Chokehold Advantage could also work; less effective, but far cheaper.

3. a high risk of self injury/ high reward type move also like in professional wrestling
Decide on the "reward" (particular Affliction, extra Damage, higher Attack bonus/Accuracy, maybe some Improved Crit ranks) and just apply one rank of Side Effect to it, with the side effect being self-inflicted Damage or Affliction on failing to hit. For greater risk (and fewer points), combine it with Check Required, based on Fighting rank or maybe Expertise: Wrestling. One simple option could be to make the Check Required based on the Attack check for 5 points, so you essentially need to roll 5 over the target's defense (effectively 2 degrees of success) or you take the Side Effect, even if you manage to hit. Check Required can be funny, though, since it can easily make a Flawed Effect cost almost nothing. GM call on whether you can use it.
Again, Slam has a built-in side effect (doing half damage to the attacker), is a free maneuver, and is arguably a mainstay of professional wrestling.

4. break the wrist walk away
This kind of move is usually done as a fast response to an attack, the first and only move the defender makes to end a fight quickly, often by a character who specifically warns the attacker that they don't want to fight. Narratively, it's rarely done more than once in a scene. Therefore, you could just build it as a Disabling Affliction (Impair/Disable/Paralyze) and give it a Trigger Extra (possibly Variable, but "target tries to hit me" may be sufficient for some GMs). You could also just use the Affliction with a Ready Action, which is like Trigger except it costs a Standard Action instead of 1p. And of course walking away is a character choice, possibly even a Complication.

5. hit them with the ugly stick
So actually making them ugly? Weaken Presence may sound good, but it heals back pretty fast unless you make it Sustained or Progressive. A more effective longer-term build would be Affliction (Impaired PRE>Disabled PRE>Transformed: Ugly), Cumulative. Slap Easily Removable on it and now it's a stick! Link in a little damage to make the stick a functional club if you like.

7. narutos harem jutsu
So he turns himself into a beautiful naked or near-naked woman in order to seduce his target, and this is just a multiple version of that. The most obvious way would be to Summon a Horde of Multiple Minions, with Morph to change to one other look. Alternatively, if you consider the Seduction attack as a particular Affliction, an entire harem seducing is effectively a Multiattack. This is simpler and cheaper, but makes the harem a descriptor, meaning it can't really do anything else. Then again, it could make a good Alternate Effect for the Shadow Clone Technique.

Kasseopea
10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Well, there is a challenge - Unlimited Blade Works skill from Archer/Shiro from Fate/Stay. It has to be below 70 PP.

JDRook
10-16-2014, 01:15 PM
8.sharingan bakugan and riningan from naruto
Kasseopea got the basics on these, but I thought I'd break it down more. I don't know Naruto, but what I get from the wiki:

Sharingan: Detect Chakra Flow (Visual Sense), Acute - 2p; Counter Concealment (Smoke/Fog) - 2p.
- Perception bonus, maybe limited to Visual senses, although that's not a huge limit in visually-dominant setting.
- Predicting opponent's movements can just be a descriptor for high Fighting and Defense traits, although things like Assessment, Danger Sense (Visual), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Seize Initiative, and Uncanny Dodge. You could bundle up some of those traits and make them all Sense-Dependent (Visual) to make it cheaper, but you'd lose those traits when blinded.
- Mimicking movements is usually a Variable, with the inherent limit of Physical Skills and Advantage, but actual Flaws of requiring observation and only able to use up to the rank of the observed. At Free Action level, that works out to 7p/rank, but since Skills and Advantages are pretty cheap, you can get a lot of them for a few ranks. Variable 2 or 3 should easily be enough for most concepts.
- The Eye of Hypnotism would probably be a basic Mind Control Affliction (Dazed>Compelled>Controlled; Perception Ranged, Cumulative; Will-resisted), maybe with a rank of Subtle to make it undetectable without Sharingan senses. The illusion aspect could simply be a descriptor for the Mind Control and the subject resisting it (some good role-play opportunities there), or you could make an Alternate Effect with Illusion (All Senses) Limited to One Subject, Resistible by Will.

Byakugan: Radius and Extended Vision, with the Noticeable Flaw for the white eyes. The "blind spot" should either be a -1p Quirk or a Complication; I lean toward the latter because that's a very small spot, the power is already cheap, and getting Hero Points is awesome.
Penetrate Concealment: Vision, Counter All(?) Concealment (and possibly Illusions depending on how your GM groups Concealment powers), Microscopic Vision, Infrared, Detect Chakra Flow as above, although maybe with Analytical as well.
Gentle Fist: This is similar to Pressure Points from the Power Profiles, possibly with Subtle to fit the "gentle" idea. Basically an Fort-based Affliction, although you could make it Will-resisted if that works for your Chakra concept, or even use an Alternate Resistance. AEs of different Afflictions could work for various attacks, or use Variable Conditions to be able to change conditions on the fly. It could be considered Sense-Dependent (Byakugan), unless "blinding" Byakugan is rare, in which case it can be a Complication. May also have a Healing AE. Eyestrain would also be a Complication.

Rinnegan: sounds pretty complicated and would take me all day to stat out. :p

9. I know kung fu and other learn it now cause Im in the matrix type abilities
Skill Download is in the Power Profiles, and is pretty obviously inspired by the Matrix. Basically like Skill Mimickry above but without the observation limits.

10. a pokeball. that should be a good start.
Easily Removable Summon. Done. The Summon would be your Pokemon.
Catching with a Pokeball would be an AE of the Summon, probably a Snare of some type, and relatively low rank since you usually have to wear down Pokemon to catch them. Then again, since there's no partial condition of capturing with a Pokeball, it might work better as a 3rd degree Condition ("Caught!"), Limited to 3rd Degree, Resisted by Strength or Damage.

SuperFerret
10-19-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd like to make a suggestion, based on a character I've been trying to throw together. Aside from the obvious Summon effects, an Indirect Blast effect representing a swooping bird or something, and a Cloud Area Affliction representing a swarm of insects, what other options would make for a Beast Mastery array?

Triskavanski
10-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Well, Environment could be using a bunch of flying things to bloat out the sun.

rwknoll
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I'd like to make a suggestion, based on a character I've been trying to throw together. Aside from the obvious Summon effects, an Indirect Blast effect representing a swooping bird or something, and a Cloud Area Affliction representing a swarm of insects, what other options would make for a Beast Mastery array?
I would also consider the following:

A Communication power, consisting of an "animal messenger" (with a Quirk to account for the delayed time in the message being received). Similarly, you could replace this with Remote Sensing, with a small animal being used as the medium.
Deflect, with animals flying in the way to take the hit
Swimming or Flight, to represent hitching a ride with aquatic or winged creatures (respectively)
A Dazed/Compelled/Controlled Affliction, limited to animals.

rlwr
10-23-2014, 09:16 PM
what about stating out characters flaws beyond the current just call it a complication and give them a hero point? What does something like prof x having paraplegia look like in game stats?

JDRook
10-24-2014, 08:29 AM
what about stating out characters flaws beyond the current just call it a complication and give them a hero point? What does something like prof x having paraplegia look like in game stats?

My thinking is that the default assumption for a 0-point character is that it basically has all of the capabilities of an average, relatively untrained human. Anything above that capability (flight, superstrength, good people skills) can be described as a trait. Anything below average human capability (blindness, paraplegia, weakness to kryptonite, uncontrollable temper, etc) can be a Complication. They did have Drawbacks in 2e, but I think that earning Hero Points potentially moves play forward more than a front-end discount on the cost of your character.

That said, Xavier's condition means he can't walk. One could buyback his Agility into the negative ranges (and keep his Dexterity, since he has full use of his hands), but not all the way since Absent Agility would make him a tree or a rock; if necessary he could drag himself around by his arms (technically in the Prone position, so Speed -1 to crawl). He would be an excellent candidate for Speed of Thought so he bases his Initiative on INT.

His chair could be a 0-point descriptor that allows him to move around at Speed 0 like an average human, although you could add traits to it if appropriate, like more speed. The hoverchair might have a rank or two of Sure-footed to get over broken terrain easily, or maybe an Immunity to Ground Effect attacks at half or full. You would probably want to buy the chair as equipment, although if you wanted to do more with it than Charles did, you could make it a Device and possibly get some interesting power stunts out of it.

digitalangel
10-24-2014, 09:28 AM
In 2E Prof X being wheelchair bound would have been a 2-3 PP flaw and a basic wheelchair would probably be a 1 point piece of equipment.

The hoverchair I'd personally build as 1 rank of flight with the flaw of a low ceiling. It comes out a lot cheaper than paying for surefooted and Immunity to ground attacks and gives basically the same result.

JDRook
10-24-2014, 10:03 AM
The hoverchair I'd personally build as 1 rank of flight with the flaw of a low ceiling. It comes out a lot cheaper than paying for surefooted and Immunity to ground attacks and gives basically the same result.

Which is precisely why I think Flight should be something like 5p for a 0-rank Flight activation and additional ranks just bought as Speed, but that's a completely different discussion.

Triskavanski
10-24-2014, 05:42 PM
What about the Image Breaker from a Certain Magical Index?

rwknoll
10-25-2014, 06:52 PM
I need help with a power. One of my PCs is a plant controller. He has a couple of neat Healing powers, some spore-based Affliction effects, a snare, and a power that allows him to create plants.

I originally helped him build this Plant Growth/Control power as a Create effect with Movable, Innate, Precise, and Limited to Plants. However, by RAW that could allow him to create a plant literally anywhere and then have some kind of "biokinesis" over it, which doesn't quite match what he was looking for. He also can't control plants that already exist.

My understanding is that he wants to be able to make giant trees, bushes, etc. spring up from the ground, but he also wants to be able to control or move plants that already exist, such as making trees bend out of his way or vines latch onto nearby enemies.

What effect(s) should I use to reflect the plant control/creation effects I'm describing here? He has an array, so if you think he would need a few AEs to cover those powers, that's fine. Should I use Transform instead, and perhaps a separate Move Object power?

Also, how do you determine how big of plants he can create/control? It's kind of hard for me to guestimate the volume of a tree or a bush...

JDRook
10-27-2014, 02:02 PM
I originally helped him build this Plant Growth/Control power as a Create effect with Movable, Innate, Precise, and Limited to Plants. However, by RAW that could allow him to create a plant literally anywhere and then have some kind of "biokinesis" over it, which doesn't quite match what he was looking for. He also can't control plants that already exist.

My understanding is that he wants to be able to make giant trees, bushes, etc. spring up from the ground, but he also wants to be able to control or move plants that already exist, such as making trees bend out of his way or vines latch onto nearby enemies.

What effect(s) should I use to reflect the plant control/creation effects I'm describing here? He has an array, so if you think he would need a few AEs to cover those powers, that's fine. Should I use Transform instead, and perhaps a separate Move Object power?

Also, how do you determine how big of plants he can create/control? It's kind of hard for me to guestimate the volume of a tree or a bush...

I think you've got the basics, it just needs a little tweaking. The simplest way I see to do it is with just 2 Effects: Create and Move Object.

The Create you have is pretty close. Movable, Innate and Precise are good, and I would make it Continuous as well, unless the plants vanish as soon as he stops trying to maintain them. Instead of Limited to Plants I would just make Plant Life the Descriptor of the Power, in the same way you can make it Ice or Stone or Webbing. If you want to require it to only be able to grow out of the ground, or from some kind of soil source (even deep under concrete, for instance), you could make that a Complication. Whether it's something that would be an issue often enough to be a Limitation or Quirk is entirely dependent on the setting and you as GM, but I do favour Complications.

Move Object can then be used and Limited to Plant Life, meaning that it can manipulate anything you've created or existing plants. You could potentially remove Movable from Create and just let MO do all the work. MO can also be used to snare using the Grab rules. You may want to make it Perception Range and have an Accurate Plant Life sense as well, so you could potentially manipulate plants on the other sides of walls (although you'd be fighting blind unless you also had some Remote Senses w/Medium - Plant Life, which is isn't a bad idea, either).

You'll probably want Create and MO at the same rank so you can manipulate anything that you create. You could easily make MO the Alternate Effect of the Create, so you could make the plants for one round and then switch to manipulate them the next round. With Continuous Create, you don't have the issue of Created Objects vanishing when you switch array slots.

As for guessing the size of the plant he can control, I personally don't think it's that important, and players will forgive you for fudging, not to mention that with MO built the way it is, you can essentially control any plant life you can target, although maybe only a part at a time. There are plenty of things you can use as guidelines, though:
- At rank 10, you could Create a tree with Toughness 10, and using the Material Toughness table in the Damage section, that means wood about 30 feet thick, which would make a for a huge tree. Rank 8 would make for 6 foot thick trees which would still be big but maybe more maneuverable.
- you could use equivalent Growth ranks to estimate tree sizes as well. So a rank 4 Created tree would be 15 feet tall with Toughness 4, meaning a 2 inch thick trunk. Rank 8 would be 30 feet tall with a 6 foot trunk.

Like I said, though, these are guidelines. Thicker trees could potentially be much taller, but that extra height isn't always going to be important for more than description. And you can always say that his power makes the wood somewhat tougher, so it doesn't need to match the numbers.

rwknoll
10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
I think you've got the basics, it just needs a little tweaking. The simplest way I see to do it is with just 2 Effects: Create and Move Object.

The Create you have is pretty close. Movable, Innate and Precise are good, and I would make it Continuous as well, unless the plants vanish as soon as he stops trying to maintain them. Instead of Limited to Plants I would just make Plant Life the Descriptor of the Power, in the same way you can make it Ice or Stone or Webbing. If you want to require it to only be able to grow out of the ground, or from some kind of soil source (even deep under concrete, for instance), you could make that a Complication. Whether it's something that would be an issue often enough to be a Limitation or Quirk is entirely dependent on the setting and you as GM, but I do favour Complications.

Thanks for the pointers! I misread the power when I described it to you; I definitely have Permanent in there (which explains the Innate feat). I thought Permanent made more sense than Continuous because the character can't reverse the plant creation/growth, he can only accelerate it. So, he could create a full tree from fertile soil, but he couldn't turn a tree into a sapling.

Move Object can then be used and Limited to Plant Life, meaning that it can manipulate anything you've created or existing plants. You could potentially remove Movable from Create and just let MO do all the work. MO can also be used to snare using the Grab rules. You may want to make it Perception Range and have an Accurate Plant Life sense as well, so you could potentially manipulate plants on the other sides of walls (although you'd be fighting blind unless you also had some Remote Senses w/Medium - Plant Life, which is isn't a bad idea, either).

You'll probably want Create and MO at the same rank so you can manipulate anything that you create. You could easily make MO the Alternate Effect of the Create, so you could make the plants for one round and then switch to manipulate them the next round. With Continuous Create, you don't have the issue of Created Objects vanishing when you switch array slots.

Yeah, I like these suggestions. No need for the Movable extra if he can already move them with a separate power. The player in question does have a Remote Sense power with plant life as a medium, so sounds like he's on the same page already. I hadn't considered the Detect Plants power; I should see if I can help him squeeze that into his build. Might just need to limit it to plants he can detect with his other senses for now. I like the idea to keep them at the same rank, too, so he can manage the math easily. However, it's a little confusing because Create refers to Volume ranks and Move Object refers to Mass ranks. I could just move across the table, but I wasn't sure if that makes sense mathematically.

As for guessing the size of the plant he can control, I personally don't think it's that important, and players will forgive you for fudging, not to mention that with MO built the way it is, you can essentially control any plant life you can target, although maybe only a part at a time. There are plenty of things you can use as guidelines, though:
- At rank 10, you could Create a tree with Toughness 10, and using the Material Toughness table in the Damage section, that means wood about 30 feet thick, which would make a for a huge tree. Rank 8 would make for 6 foot thick trees which would still be big but maybe more maneuverable.
- you could use equivalent Growth ranks to estimate tree sizes as well. So a rank 4 Created tree would be 15 feet tall with Toughness 4, meaning a 2 inch thick trunk. Rank 8 would be 30 feet tall with a 6 foot trunk.

Like I said, though, these are guidelines. Thicker trees could potentially be much taller, but that extra height isn't always going to be important for more than description. And you can always say that his power makes the wood somewhat tougher, so it doesn't need to match the numbers.
These are great guidelines, I hadn't considered looking at Growth. I'm sure once he uses the power a few times and we work out the math, it'll be much easier to make rulings on the fly. Thanks! :)

dream
10-27-2014, 07:03 PM
ok.

create this power:

The PC/NPC ignores damaged conditions, fighting until victory, then succumbs to the damaged conditions after the fight.

call it "Relentless" or "Indomitable Will". whatever. How does it work? Variable? Protection (Faded)? Immunity (faded)? No clue here that would be consistent with a GM's ruling.

that & how can a PC/NPC create weapons from inert matter? Create + Damage? Transform + Create + Damage? Steve suggested on the 2e threads that you need to buy the damaging/afflicted effects. Is that consistent with 3e? Is it just Create or Transform alone?

digitalangel
10-27-2014, 08:33 PM
First one exists as a feat, last stand I believe it's called. Spend a HP ignore all damage conditions for 1 round. Doing more than that is just trying to power game and is broken.

Simple weapons like a club is just create. Create with precise could handle most equipment level melee weapons except for chains and such with moving parts. Of this is something you do all the time, just buy damage with a flaw that you can be disarmed and need an action to create a new one. More advanced weapons that are ranged or have moving parts or advanced abilities just purchase as a power or stay of powers to represent different weapons with move activation to summon/create it.

JDRook
10-27-2014, 10:25 PM
The PC/NPC ignores damaged conditions, fighting until victory, then succumbs to the damaged conditions after the fight.

call it "Relentless" or "Indomitable Will". whatever. How does it work? Variable? Protection (Faded)? Immunity (faded)? No clue here that would be consistent with a GM's ruling.

I can see a few ways to do this, depending on the details:

- if he can ignore ALL damage conditions from the start of the fight until it ends, I would probably make it Immunity to Toughness with the Temporary Flaw. I'd probably put some Activation on it, too, but it's still going to be around 40p. A power like that would make a PC virtually unstoppable in most cases, so it should be expensive.
- a more narratively interesting power, IMO, would be a Triggered Temporary Healing Effect, with the PC becoming Incapacitated as the trigger. The rank should be as high as your GM will allow for best effect (probably the PL of the game), the Temporary is technically good for an hour but making it after the fight is practically as good, and the Trigger ensures that it happens as a Reaction for only 1p, although you can only do it once (having more ranks of Trigger, or making it a Reaction, would become expensive, abusive and boring IMO). At 1p/rank plus the Trigger, it's pretty effective for the cost. This is really more of a Second Wind power, since it's still possible for the PC to just get beat down again, although you could Link the above Toughness immunity to it so that once in that Second Wind he takes no damage. Still expensive, of course, unless you limit the Immunity to specific Descriptors.

how can a PC/NPC create weapons from inert matter? Create + Damage? Transform + Create + Damage? Steve suggested on the 2e threads that you need to buy the damaging/afflicted effects. Is that consistent with 3e? Is it just Create or Transform alone?

This is actually one of the most common question on these kind of threads: how to instantly make "weapons" out of thin air/available matter/PC's body/etc. A lot of people go to Create first because of the name, but I personally think that effect should just be called "Toughness Volume", because strictly speaking that is all it makes. Using that to make something like a club seems reasonable, especially if it's like a basic +2 circumstantial damage bonus and maybe some reach, but as soon as you want to start defining something more complex than that, I prefer it being a separate effect.

My first question is always "what do you mean by 'weapon'?":
- You can simulate most equipment-level hand weapons with Str-Based Damage 3, Improved Critical and maybe Variable Descriptor so you can make blunt, bladed or pointy weapons. That costs you 5p. If you can make it out of anything or nothing, it becomes a question of how fast you can make it, which can be an Activation Flaw, or maybe nothing if you can make another as a Free Action.
- If you want guns or arrows, it's Ranged Damage; 5 ranks is common for 10p, same deal with Variable-D or Activation. To do both, set up an array.
- If you want more exotic stuff (net guns, flash-bangs, gas grenades) make an array slot with the proper Affliction, or even use Variable Conditions to make different Conditions for different weapons.
- depending on how powerful or how flexible you want your weapon choices to be, you could also use a Variable Effect, but I consider that a last resort. 90% of the time, you'll be able to define the weapon you want with an array of 3 slots or fewer, and for the other 10% of the time you can just power stunt.
- "inert matter" is probably widely available in your setting, so unless your PC is going to deprived of it somehow at least half the time, I would make having no access to enough matter be a Complication.
- note that one of the reasons I don't like using Create that way is that it is usually dirt cheap compared to doing it other ways, like the Array or a Variable. Transform at a level to be flexible enough to make weapons is generally more expensive, approaching the cost of a Variable, and there are details on using it as such, allowing various attacks at the Transform rank to be possible. A Broad>Broad Transform would be likely for Inert Matter>Weapons, which is 4p/rank, so at least 3 ranks would be needed for hand weapons as described above.

dream
10-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Ok so I built this power (Relentless; I ignore Damage) with my Roll Call Build ("The Champ").

Critique that, but what I used made sense (at the time anyway). I may revise it.

There are a few powers that defy typical PL creation at certain levels;

- an illusion that produces an emotion-manipulating effect (you need PL10+)

- Reality Manipulation is definitely a PL10-12+ power

- Power Duplication or Power Absorption is a higher PL (12+) to be effective (argueable)

- anything else using the Transform effect is higher (PL12+) level to be effective

- a martial artist with superpowers (we're talking PL12+)

The idea that you can build anything at any PL is problematic, in the true mathematical sense.

Thoughts? (also, I need you to keep your personal House Rules out of this & approach things Rules As Written. Thanks)

Thanks to those who offered advise on the power builds I presented.

That "Create Weapons from Anything" power is wild. I saw it was "Create + Transform + Damage". M&M, a la Kenson, is fairly demanding for what you want. "You have to pay for it" trumps "I can do THIS".

saint_matthew
10-31-2014, 08:45 PM
ok.

create this power:

that & how can a PC/NPC create weapons from inert matter? Create + Damage? Transform + Create + Damage? Steve suggested on the 2e threads that you need to buy the damaging/afflicted effects. Is that consistent with 3e? Is it just Create or Transform alone?

Actually its just damage, no create or transformation necessary. Its literally just damage with a suitable descriptor & possibly a flaw of "requires raw resources", depending on what you can turn into a weapon.

rlwr
10-31-2014, 10:18 PM
I agree, just damage. Sometimes it is easy to fall into the build feeling like what the power does, when that is often more up to the descriptors. In this case, the use of the power wouldn't ever actually benefit from creation or transformation, as all it does in game terms is try to hurt things ie damage.

digitalangel
11-01-2014, 11:19 AM
If only the character can wield it and it falls apart when you drop it all you need is damage. If you want to be able to have it off to someone else go create or transform.

dream
11-01-2014, 03:56 PM
It's just Damage? Really?

But there's a Transform-like effect. If you say so, but I'm thinking it would vary GM to GM.

Thanks everyone.

Next Power:

"The Power Cosmic"!

Marvel's Silver Surfer, Galactus, and all the super-duper powerful cosmic entities of that universe can do a variety of things under the aegis (Ranged-Damage blast, Transmutation of matter/energy, teleportation, healing, even Psionics).

Is it best expressed under the "I-can-do-anything" Variable effect, or a long array with possible Power Stunts for anything else?

digitalangel
11-01-2014, 04:25 PM
A large enough dynamic array and you don't need variable but you are talking 40-50 AEs here

JDRook
11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
It's just Damage? Really?

But there's a Transform-like effect. If you say so, but I'm thinking it would vary GM to GM.

Really. What's happening at the base game mechanics level is that you want to do X amount of damage, and the Descriptor is that you're turning matter into something that can do it for you. The Effect is the end result, not necessarily how you got there. That's what it means when you see people say "effects-based" when discussing M&M. That's how Ranged Damage can be used to describe a bullet or a small fireball or a thrown rock; the underlying mechanics are the same, but the descriptor is different. So when building powers, try to think of the end result and work backwards to the Effect that would give you that result.

"The Power Cosmic"!

Marvel's Silver Surfer, Galactus, and all the super-duper powerful cosmic entities of that universe can do a variety of things under the aegis (Ranged-Damage blast, Transmutation of matter/energy, teleportation, healing, even Psionics).

Is it best expressed under the "I-can-do-anything" Variable effect, or a long array with possible Power Stunts for anything else?

A large enough dynamic array and you don't need variable but you are talking 40-50 AEs here

You can probably do it with an Array, and I usually recommend no more than 5 slots in an array. Odds are pretty good that if you write down a list of the things you want the power to do and put them in the order of how often you think you'll use them, the top 5 will cover 90% of all situations and the rest you can do with Power Stunts. You may want to organize your powers so that only some are in the array and some are standalone or in a separate array. Defensive powers are usually better standalone, as well as Movement, although if you have different Movement modes you can make a separate array for that.

I'm personally not a big fan of Dynamic Arrays, but if you don't mind managing multiple powers working at less than their maximum rank, that is a good option as well.

dream
11-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I was thinking "Power Cosmic" would be best expressed as an array, but didn't hurt to ask.

Thanks again.

Next:

An Illusionary power that would affect an entire city;

I felt bumping the range to "Rank" made sense, but that would leave the effect rank lower than I'd like vs. Insight checks ("I Disbelieve!"). Plus, the volume would need to be bumped by adding "Area" ranks, which gets super-expensive. What's more important here, range or volume?

Also (heh);

A power that changes living things into other things; best expressed with Affliction (which relies on a 3rd Degree failure for the "Transformed" condition) or an Attack form of Morph/Variable (Shape-Shifting)?

rwknoll
11-03-2014, 07:49 PM
A power that changes living things into other things; best expressed with Affliction (which relies on a 3rd Degree failure for the "Transformed" condition) or an Attack form of Morph/Variable (Shape-Shifting)?

That one depends on the goal. Transformed should be roughly equivalent to Incapacitated. So, if you're placing a curse on the foe to turn them into a black cat, turning them into a pure golden statue, or reprogramming their memory so they think they're a 5-year-old girl, that's Transformed. If you just want to make them appear like someone else against their will, that's a Morph Attack.

As far as the Illusion power...Eh, I don't know. I don't think there's an easy way to do it in 3e.

JDRook
11-03-2014, 09:50 PM
An Illusionary power that would affect an entire city;

I felt bumping the range to "Rank" made sense, but that would leave the effect rank lower than I'd like vs. Insight checks ("I Disbelieve!"). Plus, the volume would need to be bumped by adding "Area" ranks, which gets super-expensive. What's more important here, range or volume?

What exactly do you want the illusion over the city to be? It's unorthodox, but depending on the intent, you could make it a function of Environment. Want to make all of the skyscrapers and suburbs appear as mountains and forests? Environment 10 with a custom "Change Appearance" option, and maybe toss in some Impede Movement to simulate the rougher terrain, and you've got 2 miles wide of apparent wilderness.

Environment isn't inherently resistible, but you could make it so with a Resistible (Will) flaw if people can overcome it with sheer willpower, or with Insight or a Magic skill or power check. Again, it helps to have some context, otherwise I'm trying to predict what you want from a few old bones. :cool:

Remember, Effects are not Powers; Powers are Effects plus Descriptors.

dream
11-05-2014, 06:07 AM
That one depends on the goal. Transformed should be roughly equivalent to Incapacitated. So, if you're placing a curse on the foe to turn them into a black cat, turning them into a pure golden statue, or reprogramming their memory so they think they're a 5-year-old girl, that's Transformed. If you just want to make them appear like someone else against their will, that's a Morph Attack.

As far as the Illusion power...Eh, I don't know. I don't think there's an easy way to do it in 3e.

Thanks rwknoll for helping: The goal here fits both instances. Something like a wizard or molecule-controller who can turn people into pretty much anything. I'm leaning towards Morph (attack), but Variable (attack) gives it more versatility, to include changing the victim's traits.

What exactly do you want the illusion over the city to be? It's unorthodox, but depending on the intent, you could make it a function of Environment. Want to make all of the skyscrapers and suburbs appear as mountains and forests? Environment 10 with a custom "Change Appearance" option, and maybe toss in some Impede Movement to simulate the rougher terrain, and you've got 2 miles wide of apparent wilderness.

Environment isn't inherently resistible, but you could make it so with a Resistible (Will) flaw if people can overcome it with sheer willpower, or with Insight or a Magic skill or power check. Again, it helps to have some context, otherwise I'm trying to predict what you want from a few old bones. :cool:

Remember, Effects are not Powers; Powers are Effects plus Descriptors.

The illusion would have a modern city like San Francisco or New York changed to look like an ancient one resembling Greyhawk or Aquilonia. Skyscrapers become castles or towers, concrete and steel become wood or clay, vehicles become horses or carriages or chariots. It would be for shock factor more than anything else. Something temporary, but big enough to throw a city into chaos. Does this make sense?

Thanks JDRook.

JDRook
11-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks rwknoll for helping: The goal here fits both instances. Something like a wizard or molecule-controller who can turn people into pretty much anything. I'm leaning towards Morph (attack), but Variable (attack) gives it more versatility, to include changing the victim's traits.
Affliction (Transform) is completely capable of changing traits, with the only limit being it can't increase them, and technically so is Morph with the Metamorph Extra. If you have DC Adventures, Circe is a perfect example of this. There's another level of context you're leaving out, though: is this for a Player Character or a NPC run by the GM? And who would be targeted in terms of their importance to the story?

If you're a GM and this is a power that is going to be used directly against PCs, and you want them to have the ability to resist, then it absolutely should be Affliction (Transform), since it's the only one with an established staged resistance, just like Damage or Weaken. The problem with weaponizing Morph or other non-Attack powers is that they are absolute effects that either definitely hit with full effect or just miss, no middle ground like the other attack Effects. If it's not going to be used against PCs, or if it is but can't be resisted, than it's a plot device and doesn't even really need to be statted out.

If you're a player and this is for a PC and you intend to be able to use it in-game on non-minion opponents, then again I recommend Affliction for most of the same reasons. If it's used mainly to simulate transformed creatures that serve the wizard, then it may function better as a Summon spell that requires a person to be the base, or just having them bought as Minions.

The illusion would have a modern city like San Francisco or New York changed to look like an ancient one resembling Greyhawk or Aquilonia. Skyscrapers become castles or towers, concrete and steel become wood or clay, vehicles become horses or carriages or chariots. It would be for shock factor more than anything else. Something temporary, but big enough to throw a city into chaos. Does this make sense?

Again, I think a custom Environment is the best way to go, since it's largely for appearances, but if this is for an NPC and the power can't be resisted with some kind of check, then it's probably a plot device and doesn't need statting. And if it's not for a PC, it seems like a weird power with limited application.

rlwr
11-06-2014, 11:59 AM
What if u had a power that could change the physical properties of an object but not the chemical eg change the shape of an iron sword to an iron shovel but it is always still iron or could basically make balloon animals out of sand or other material but it does not allow u to melt the sand to turn it into glass or rust the iron etc? How should that be stats wise?

digitalangel
11-06-2014, 12:10 PM
What if u had a power that could change the physical properties of an object but not the chemical eg change the shape of an iron sword to an iron shovel but it is always still iron or could basically make balloon animals out of sand or other material but it does not allow u to melt the sand to turn it into glass or rust the iron etc? How should that be stats wise?

Shape Matter from 2E's UP did exactly that.

SHAPE MATTER
Effect: Transform Action: Standard (active)
Range: Ranged Duration: Sustained (lasting)
Saving Throw: None Cost: 4 points per rank

You can shape and mold non-living matter to your will as if it were soft clay. You can affect 1 pound of mass at rank 1; each additional
rank moves this amount one step up the Progression Table (2 lbs., then 5, 10, and so forth). Reshaped matter retains its new shape
so long as you maintain the effect; when you stop, the reshaped matter reverts to its original form. Characters can make Reflex saving
throws for held or worn Devices (DC 10 + Shape Matter rank), equipment is affected automatically so long as the power’s attack
roll is successful.

At the Gamemaster’s discretion, Shape Matter may provide bonuses for favorable circumstances on certain Craft skill checks
and speed up certain Craft checks involving reshaping or fabricating objects. Indeed, some simple uses of Craft may be entirely
replaced with a successful use of Shape Matter, such as reshaping a boulder into a stone cube without the use of tools.

It you wanted the changes to last, up duration to Continuous.
If you only want to be able to shape certain materails that is either a -1 or -2/rank flaw depending on how narrow of a range we are talking about.
If you have to physically reshape it with your hands reduce it to close range and possibly put a move activation on it to model taking the extra time to shape it by hand.

JDRook
11-06-2014, 04:06 PM

The Element Power Profile covered this for 3e, and the description under Transmutation addresses this specifically, stating that changing just shape and not substance (or vice versa) "is a broad-to-broad Transform, costing only 4 points per rank."

Everything else that digitangel mentions above would apply in essentially the same way.

dream
11-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Transform, since it affects inorganic objects. Rank 5 'anything to anything', Limited to same chemical proprties, mass X, range X, duration X

While I have a problem with how Transform & Affliction/Morph/Variable are two sides of the same coin, okay.

dream
11-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Okay, so:

Luck Control.

This power can have a ridiculous impact on the reality around the wielder. Black Cat from Marvel, Longshot from Marvel, someone else I can't think of.
It's minute Plot/Scene-domination: when a friend appears out of nowhere to provide assistance, when a foe trips or drops a weapon/device, when a building falls on the PC and not a scratch, when situations just go the PC's way (electro-mechanical providence, for example).

How would you demonstrate that 'super-lucky' PC?

digitalangel
11-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Okay, so:

Luck Control.

This power can have a ridiculous impact on the reality around the wielder. Black Cat from Marvel, Longshot from Marvel, someone else I can't think of.
It's minute Plot/Scene-domination: when a friend appears out of nowhere to provide assistance, when a foe trips or drops a weapon/device, when a building falls on the PC and not a scratch, when situations just go the PC's way (electro-mechanical providence, for example).

How would you demonstrate that 'super-lucky' PC?

All depends on what their luck does for them. Are they a character that has incredibly good luck or one that curses their enemies with bad luck?

Luck and Probability Control already exist. Luck also makes a good descriptor for hit accuracy/ Improved Critical, high defenses/toughness(never gets hit or when they get it is just minor wounds), the Beginner's Luck and Second Chance advantages can cover a lot of things especially with multiple ranks of Second Chance. Super Movement (Safe Fall or Sure Footed) could also be chalked up to luck.

Unreliable Indirect (possibly Perception) Damage = chance of something falling from the sky and hitting your opponent over the head.

dream
11-10-2014, 07:20 PM
For this example, no bad luck for an opponent. Just really good luck for the PC/NPC Luck-controller.

Indirect? For a power that seems more 'Perception-Area'? Okay.

And 'Unreliable'? What's the use of Luck if it's unreliable (unless it's '5 or less uses per session')?

'Unreliable', being 'works 50% of the time', works with Precognition or some other effect, but Luck Control needs a certain consistency to be a true power, no?

danelsan
11-10-2014, 08:48 PM
For this example, no bad luck for an opponent. Just really good luck for the PC/NPC Luck-controller.

Indirect? For a power that seems more 'Perception-Area'? Okay.

And 'Unreliable'? What's the use of Luck if it's unreliable (unless it's '5 or less uses per session')?

'Unreliable', being 'works 50% of the time', works with Precognition or some other effect, but Luck Control needs a certain consistency to be a true power, no?

ahem..

Unreliable Indirect (possibly Perception) Damage = chance of something falling from the sky and hitting your opponent over the head.

also, there is an entire Power Profile dedicated to luck powers. Lots of good stuff there. I must go to bed soon, but I'll try to remember to post some examples tomorrow

Lantalia
11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm interested in peoples thoughts on Panacea "She is possessed of complete control over the biology of those she touches" (using 3E mechanics, since I don't have/know 2E)

A lot of what she does is easy to model (Healing, Damage, Weakens, Afflictions and Nullify with a small stack of immunities), but what about the hacking over other people's powers, creation of new species, and other meta effects.

The short list is:
Atlas, relay bugs, the other S9 arc hacks, and the big one, Khepri.

Even if some of those are power stunts, how is the stunt being put together? (actually, if you stunt a summon, does the summon stay around or is it like having alternate effect so switching out summon turns it off?)

rwknoll
11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
One solution would be to use Variable (Flaw: Limited to powers of subjects you are currently touching). Variable is the core effect that Jab uses in his Rogue build.

JDRook
11-12-2014, 09:09 PM
"She is possessed of complete control over the biology of those she touches" (using 3E mechanics, since I don't have/know 2E)

...what about the hacking over other people's powers, creation of new species, and other meta effects.

The short list is:
Atlas, relay bugs, the other S9 arc hacks, and the big one, Khepri.

Even if some of those are power stunts, how is the stunt being put together? (actually, if you stunt a summon, does the summon stay around or is it like having alternate effect so switching out summon turns it off?)

Affliction (Transform) would probably be a good catch-all for most of those, particularly power-hacking; it would allow her to mess around with power points, but not add more than the subject had before. If it takes a while to make the changes, you might want to put the -1 Slow Flaw on it, so it will take at least a minute and can only be done outside combat.

Using Summon should have some kind of flaw requiring a base creature to work with (like a beetle in Atlas's case). Technically if you power stunt a Summon and want it to last without maintaining it, you should increase Duration up to Continuous, just like Create or Transform.

Since Atlas is really only used for flight, you might want to just make it the Flight effect with various modifiers (Removable, Wings, etc) with the descriptor "Altered Insect". In fact, you could make Panacea's power similar to Inventor or Artificer, but with a biological focus. It really depends on how long it takes her to make these things.

I'm afraid I don't know Worm well enough to give any better ideas. I gleaned a few details from the wiki but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Collider
11-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I've got one that I have played with for some time, and worked a couple different ways for it in various game systems, so let's see what the panel of experts can come up with in 3e.

The power is this:
The PC is capable of detecting the weaknesses of his opponent, then creating a specific bullet to exploit those weaknesses which he can then fire at them from his rifle/pistol/what have you weapon.

JDRook
11-16-2014, 06:08 PM
There are several ways you could build that, the real question would be whether it is overpowered in the setting. To wit:

Detect Weakness, Acute would be the minimum necessary to identify what the weakness is, and would require touching the target, or at least being close enough to touch. Presumably you'll want Ranged on that. Combined with Range Damage X, Variable Descriptor 2 means you could change the Descriptor of the attack (the "bullet") with a Free Action. That costs essentially 5p over the base cost of the gun, and could easily be cheaper with Activation or Check Required flaws. This would allow you to pick up on any defined weaknesses of the target (Vulnerable to Fire, or takes damage from Sonics, or whatever) and apply that to your next attack, although opponent who don't have a defined weakness would technically be unaffected. This is pretty simple and cheap, so a GM may prefer to make it more difficult to balance it out. Making it similar to Assessment could be an option, with Insight checks opposed by the opponent's Deception check, and requiring a certain number of degrees of success to pick up on the weakness.

A similar option could be Damage X, Insight Check Required with the descriptor "targeting weakness", which would give your attack bonus damage based on how well your Insight Check overcomes the target's Deception. This of course only works if the attack is below PL, as this will not allow breaking PL. Another version of this would give ranks of Improved Critical instead of Damage, which could legally break PL with the crit but only on really good Attack checks. The biggest advantage of these options is the target does not need a built-in or pre-existing weakness for the power to be useful.

An even simpler method would be using Improved Aim and Power Attack together, again with the descriptor "targeting weakness."

Collider
11-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I like it, the last option seems especially the easiest and least overpowered for most settings. It also seems to be more of a "sniper attack" type thing that could target anyone even if there isn't a built in weakness like you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

Collider
04-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Got a new power idea for you guys to work through.

A character that fires cameras from a rifle, or rolls sensor grenades, what have you... Think Batman's sticky timebomb rifle from The Dark Knight but with cameras instead of time bombs. Then the character uses those sensors to enhance their own senses. Any ideas?

JDRook
04-14-2015, 02:04 PM
A character that fires cameras from a rifle, or rolls sensor grenades, what have you... Think Batman's sticky timebomb rifle from The Dark Knight but with cameras instead of time bombs. Then the character uses those sensors to enhance their own senses. Any ideas?
Sounds like a Remote Sensing Effect with a Medium Flaw; the medium would just be the fired object. RS has no inherent placement limitation beyond range, so you could Flaw the placement mechanism, but I figure that probably would work better as a Complication. The sensing object would be inherently hard to spot (DC10 + RS rank vs Insight) and could be made either Noticeable or more Subtle.

Does that fit your concept? Have I missed anything?

Collider
04-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Seems to fit pretty well, thanks! Could you show me how you would put it together as a power? Just making sure I'm thinking along the same lines for the character

JDRook
04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
The basic effect is pretty simple. The rest really depends on the details of how you want it to work, and most of that can just be descriptor with no change in cost.

Sensor Grenade Launcher: Remote Sensing (Visual [2p/rank], Medium: Placed Grenades [-1p/rank]) - 1p/rank

This is a purely visual sense; additional senses would essentially be extras. Transmission range is dependent on rank, so something like Rank 8 gives it a 1 mile transmission range; technically it also allows you to place it anywhere within one mile of where you are, so it would depend on how limiting the ability to place it is to give a value for a Flaw. It depends on you and your GM, but as a suggestion, I'd probably just make it a Quirk; maybe -1p if you can place it anywhere within line of sight, -2 if there's a particularly limited range to how far you can launch it (say equal or less then maximum short range; 200' for Rank 8), and -3 for manual placement. You could also put no placement limit on it and just treat any time you can't place a camera where you want as a Complication.

Generally you'll want them hard to spot, and a Rank 8 effect would be an Insight check vs DC18 to notice by default. Adding Subtle to it would make it DC28, or you could arguably make it DC18 but only to detect with an unusual sense (say radio to pick up the video feed transmission).

You could also build this as a Device, but only if you occasionally want to lose or break it. The Descriptor may be that it's a gadget that does this, but if it can't be taken away or broken or overridden or whatever, then it's not really worth the point discount and not technically a Device. You can also make losing/breaking it a Complication for no cost and occasionally get a Hero Point for it.

Also keep in mind that using RS makes you Vulnerable by default, since it overrides your normal senses. Narratively, you would be getting a video feed through a screen or goggles or whatever you like, which takes up your attention while in use. This usually isn't a problem since RS is usually used this way for recon and not mid-combat, so a lower defense isn't an issue, but if you want your full defense and senses while using RS you will need to get the Simultaneous Extra.

So that should do everything you've described with a few options you didn't, for a relatively low price point. Let me know if there are any details I've missed or that you need clarified.