PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Rebels

Chuckg
09-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Although the 43-minute pilot episode doesn't broadcast until this weekend, people who have a cable TV account that Watch Disney XD will recognize can watch it here.

http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels

Well, I watched the pilot episode today, and I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected to. It just felt like Star Wars... by way of Firefly. :)

Its about an isolated cell of Chaotic Good rebel-smugglers, in the nebulous pre-Alliance period before Yavin, who fight the Empire in their own way and alone because they haven't got anything else. And they do things like steal guns from the Empire to sell them to gunrunners, and then use the proceeds to help feed refugees in refugee camps, and bust out slaves, and randomly blow shit up guerilla style.

And you have some familiar character archetypes, such as Kanan the cocky yet world-weary smuggler captain, Hera the Team Mom and ace pilot, Zeb the big angry alien guy who is also a highly skilled warrior, Sabine the young Mandalorian punk-ette... well, OK, that's maybe not familiar, but its still an archetype. And Ezra, Alladin-ish street rat that sort of fell in with them by accident, when he tried to steal their stuff in the middle of some Imperial entanglements.

And its the climax of the episode and they've run into a very hard nut trying to free some Wookiee slaves from the spice mines, and they're pinned down and cut off and their escape ship is being harried, and you're wondering what the hell kind of clever trick they're going to think of now because they're all out of tricks what with all the clever escapes in the prior 43 minutes...

... and then this happens.

(Note: It was already spoilered all to hell in the trailers, and you see the... You-Know-What... amongst Kanan's possessions earlier in the episode, so, its not the total out of left field I'm making it sound like. But still, damn.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51CHzBWww6k

This one scene had more emotional punch for me than anything Star Wars has done in the past decade. Fuck yeah, baby. Classic Star Wars is back. The old school is back.

I'm feeling a lot better about Disney's chances with this property now.

ghostman76
10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Well....that was far better than I had hoped. lol

Kyle
10-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I thought it was pretty decent. It's fun, and definitely has a 'Star Wars' feel. As much as I wish we could get some new 'Star Wars' material that doesn't focus so heavily on the Jedi, this wasn't bad.

Some of the animation and character designs though.... The main character's hair was really distracting. It behaved more like liquid than hair, and seemed to move of it's own accord as opposed to in a manner appropriate to the situation. There was one moment where he was aboard the ship and his hair was blowing in the wind. Well, it was supposed to be blowing, but I'd really interpret that action more as writhing. Someone else pointed out to me that the main character doesn't have fingernails, where as the leader of the rebels does, and now I can't unsee it. All the characters' eyes have a weird gloss to them, as well.

Not all the designs are that bad, though; I really like both the colourfulness of the Mandalorian graffiti artist, and the sort of rough edged appearance to the Imperial agent, especially his helmet.

Yeoman
10-04-2014, 02:10 PM
I'll give it this, the scene of the Stormtroopers walking through the Star Destroyer? For a half a second I thought we had switched to footage from the films.

It's got room to improve, but it's a decent set up, and well captures the feel of the original trilogy.

ghostman76
10-04-2014, 04:00 PM
The character I thought I was going to have the most problems with was the Mandalorian graffiti artist. Just writing that makes me shake my head in dismay. But the way it was presented completely got me on board. She's a saboteur who uses explosive paint so her explosives don't look like obvious bombs to be discovered. That's pretty cool.

I know what you mean Kyle. Ezra's whole character design is just awful. I like the character, but of the whole cast, he looks really low rez....like he's from a different show or something.

Everything else about the show was great. The writing was much better than I had expected, and even though they had made no attempt to hide the fact that Kanann (sp?) was a Jedi in the lead up to the series premiere, the reveal scene still hits hard. I think it's the line he says to Ezra that really sells it.

I'm eager to see more based on this first episode.

Kyle
10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
The character I thought I was going to have the most problems with was the Mandalorian graffiti artist. Just writing that makes me shake my head in dismay. But the way it was presented completely got me on board. She's a saboteur who uses explosive paint so her explosives don't look like obvious bombs to be discovered. That's pretty cool.
I was skeptical as well, mostly because I don't get all the love that Boba Fett and, by extension, other Mandalorians get, but I think the first episode handled the character really well. She wasn't over the top, and she really stands out on screen among the rest of the fairly drab looking cast.

even though they had made no attempt to hide the fact that Kanann (sp?) was a Jedi in the lead up to the series premiere, the reveal scene still hits hard. I think it's the line he says to Ezra that really sells it.
Absolutely. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'd like for 'Star Wars' material to focus more on characters who aren't Jedi, or otherwise Force sensitive, but Kanan's reveal scene was great. In that moment, any complaints I had about the show were completely forgotten.

Bladewind
10-06-2014, 08:07 AM
And Ezra, Alladin-ish street rat that sort of fell in with them by accident, when he tried to steal their stuff in the middle of some Imperial entanglements.

Funny you referenced him that way... More than once I started humming the "street rat" song from Aladdin...