PDA

View Full Version : DC Beyond: The Second Head (One-Shot, Recruitment)

zeone3000
05-01-2014, 02:51 PM
So, I recently finished ALL the Batman, Superman and Justice League Beyond comics... Unsurprisingly, inspiration struck.

Basic Premise: During a period of Batman 'provisionally' joining the Justice League to handle a problem off world, leaving Neo-Gotham to the care of Bruce and his Bat-Wraiths, Bane goes missing... Along with a recent spike in stolen nanotech, drugs and chemicals. It's up to a new group of heroes to find out the who, what and why/

It will be Third Edition, PL 10/150 pp, max trade-off of half PL. A few house rules, 3 skill points per PP. Impervious will work as such...

Make resistance checks normally but, if the effect rank is less than your Impervious rank, reduce any degree of failure by one; zero degrees of failure counts as one degree of success.

This being DC, just about anything goes with one prerequistes is to being stationed in Neo-Gotham or at least be trailing the string of related incidents. Yeah, that should work too. I just don't want to straight out limit anyone to just Gotham as this could spin-off into more if all goes well.

The_Watchman
05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Redback - PL 10
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/Kittyzenx/367bdd30-c1f5-4c7b-8156-f6fe896b4b10_zpse5cd7d4e.jpg
Strength 6/2, Stamina 6/1, Agility 10/1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4/3, Intellect 4, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Luck, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+18/+11), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+14/+12), Investigation 6 (+10), Perception 8 (+9), Ranged Combat: Spinnerets 14 (+14), Sleight of Hand 4 (+4), Technology 4 (+8)

Powers
Spider Enhancements
. . Electrostatic Field: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
. . Leg Servos: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
. . Neuromuscular Enhancement: Enhanced Trait 51 (Traits: Acrobatics +7 (+18), Close Combat +2 (+14), Strength +4 (+6), Stamina +5 (+6), Agility +9 (+10), Fighting +1 (+4), Dodge +2 (+13), Parry +2 (+13), Advantages: Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Move-by Action, Skill Mastery, Uncanny Dodge)

Spinneret and Stinger Implants
. . Spinnerets: Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st degree: Vulnerable, Hindered, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Immobile, DC 16; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets; Limited Degree)
. . . . Anaesthetic: Progressive Affliction 6 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Insidious, Progressive)
. . . . Neurotoxin: Broad Simultaneous Weaken 6 (Alternate; Affects: All Abilites, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Broad: Abilities, Reversible, Simultaneous)
. . Web Swinging
. . . . Movement: Movement 1 (Linked; Swinging)
. . . . Speed: Speed 4 (Linked; Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Limited: Only While Swinging)

Offense
Initiative +10
Anaesthetic: Progressive Affliction 6, +14 (DC Fort 16)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 16)
Neurotoxin: Broad Simultaneous Weaken 6, +14 (DC Fort 16)
Spinnerets: Cumulative Affliction 6, +14 (DC Dog/Str 16)
Throw, +0 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +14 (DC 21, Crit 18-20)

Complications
Cybernetic Implants: Jake's cybernetic implants are vulnerable to some electronic countermeasures. Additionally, if he doesn't receive regular treatments, his body will begin to reject the cybernetic modifications.
Enemy:Mega-Corporations: Jake made a number of enemies after he turned evidence on the mega-corps that hired him for thefts.
Identity:Jacob Robinson
Prejudice: Ex-Con: Jake was convicted for grand theft before Batman helped him turn his life around. Those who know his past tend to view him with extreme distrust.

Defense
Dodge 13/11, Parry 13/11, Fortitude 10, Toughness 7/6, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 82 + Advantages 8 + Skills 15 (45 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 150

Background: Jacob Robinson was a kid from the slums of Neo-Gotham. He learned young that the only way to get what he wanted was to take it. He wasn't a strong kid so he learned to be sneaky and avoid being seen. This particular talent made him useful and he found more than a few "friends" looking for a gifted thief. When he was in his teens, he found employment as an under-the-table "acquisition expert" for several mega-corporations. It made him wealthy and between the money and the thrills, Jake was more than happy with his life. That made him overconfident and willing to do whatever it took to keep moving up. He agreed to an experimental procedure to implant a number of bleeding edge cybernetics into his body. Subdermal implants created a microstatic field allowing him to stick to any surface. Microspinnerets implanted in his forearms allowed him to generate an experimental synthetic spider-silk. Poison glands were implanted to transmit an anaesthetic compound or a debilitating neurotoxin through his fingertips. Finally, his reflexes, strength, and agility were sharpened to superhuman levels. With these abilities, he moved into the big leagues. Unfortunately, this also put him up against Batman. While Jake's powers kept him a few steps ahead during his thefts, he was caught in a trap at Wayne-Powers.

It was only when he was in juvie that Jake discovered that his body was rejecting the implants. He was going to die within a few years in agony. He was released with little hope for the future. But he was offered a treatment from Wayne-Powers to stabilize the rejection of his implants. Though suspicious of any such "gifts", Jake had no options. Then the apparent price came due. He was told to steal a prototype from Foxteca or the treatments would be stopped. But Foxteca was the one company Jake had never stolen from. His mother had worked for years for Foxteca and Jake remembered Lucius Fox Jr.'s kind words at her funeral. It wasn't much but Jake hadn't seen much kindness in his life. For once in his life, Jake found a reason to make the noble choice. He refused the demand. Instead of cutting off the treatment, Jake received a year's supply with a holonote asking him to meet on the roof of the Wayne-Powers building. He was met by Batman who offered Jake a way to make up for his years on the wrong side of the law. Jake agreed. He had lost his taste for power and wealth. Better to keep others from going down the same path he had. Plus, he was getting at least a living wage stipend as a courier for Wayne-Powers...

Mr.Sandman
05-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Backstory, for your consideration.

Melissa Brown (Delphi)

Melissa Brown is a business student at Neo-Gothem University and daughter of Maxwell Brown, CEO of Brown Cyber Solutions, and Kela Brown, a Themysciran Diplomat. Her first foray into heroing began when her girlfriend, genius botanist Shelly Florance, was abducted. Distraught, she sought comfort in the company of her grandmother, Stephanie. She couldn't sleep that night, and wound up eavesdropping on a conversation her grandmother was having with an older sounding man over the computer. Stephanie was begging him to send 'that new boy' out to find Shelly, only to get the reply that there were 'bigger problems' before hanging up. Mel would have slunk back to her room but she unknowingly set off the motion detector outside the door to her grandmothers room. After ordering her into the room, her grandmother told her that she had, briefly, been the second Batgirl, but that she had made a foolish mistake, one that cost her the use of her legs. Unwilling to sit on the sidelines, she put her skills as a programmer to use, operating and improving the digital systems used by the Bat family, and going by the name Oracle. Batman, she said, was unable to devote his time to finding her girlfriend but, if Mel was willing to do the legwork, they could do it themselves.

Together they traced the abduction to the environmental terrorist group Seeds of Revolution, a violent cult like group that used genetic engineering to make themselves as close to plants as possible. Donning a simple black mask and costume to hide her identity Melissa snuck into the hideout where they had traced Shelly to. To her horror, they had already subjected her girlfriend to their strongest genetic engineering, which had driven her insane. She was now the leader of the Seeds, the mad Wallflower. Melissa could not bring herself to fight her, so she ran, devastated and angry. She was furious that, through his inaction, the Batman had allowed the woman she loved to be corrupted, and promised herself that if he couldn't be trusted to clean up the city, she would. She learned to fight quickly thanks to her Themysciran heritage, and is naturally stronger and faster than most men as well. She was already a gifted computer programmer and technician, as her father expected her to know the ropes when she took over the company someday, and her grandmother gifted her with a prototype AI she calls Prophecy. In honor of her heritage she calls herself Delphi, an ancient Greek oracle. She searches desperately to find a way to cure Shelly, convinced that there is still something of her left in Wallflower, as she has not yet revealed the true identity of the greatest thorn in their side to her followers. Delphi finds herself embroiled in the latest case when a doctor, who she had been keeping tabs on for his work in reversing genetic damage, reports a crate of drugs he designed missing. With Batman missing Delphi takes up the case, calling this just another sign that he focuses too much of his time on saving the world, and not enough time where it belongs.

zeone3000
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
@The_Watchman

Love it. Plenty of hooks, room for growth Couple of things though. What does he look like under the costume? Also, this being an advanced version of splicing, he doesn't have any physical changes? Then, what is his motivation?

@Mr.Sandman

I consider it good.

The_Watchman
05-01-2014, 07:08 PM
@The_Watchman

Love it. Plenty of hooks, room for growth Couple of things though. What does he look like under the costume? Also, this being an advanced version of splicing, he doesn't have any physical changes? Then, what is his motivation?

His changes are mostly minor things like tiny claw like hairs on his hands and feet, segmented eyes hidden by contacts, and exaggerated canines (which haven't mutated to the point of being really poisonous) but unlike most splicers (to my understanding anyway) it isn't stable. He will rapidly mutate into a totally monstrous shape and/or die without the treatment he gets from Wayne-Powers. His motivation is making up for past mistakes and remaining useful so the treatment won't stop coming. I'm not sure how much any of the PCs are allowed to know about Terry and Bruce but I imagine Jake at least knows that Batman is connected with WP in some way. And of course anyone finding out about either Jake's condition or the treatment coming from WP could put Jake over a barrel.

Note that I'm not dead set on him appearing completely human so if being an abnormally subtle splice doesn't fit thematically, I have no problem having him look more spliced out of costume, though he'd still try to hide as much of the changes as he could. He accepted the procedure because it paid a lot and made him a more valuable thief, not because he wanted to look different.

whiteprofit
05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Neo-Superboy
PL 10; PP 150/150

http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Superboy-Retro-3-609x210.jpg

At the helm of Project Cadmus, Amanda Waller took several precautions necessary to keep the heroes of Earth available as age, death, and calls to other dimensions and worlds took them way. As she saw it, she was providing a good and necessary service in protecting the world. Along with the conception of Terry McGinnis and several failed attempts like Dick Grayson's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Waller#Batman_Beyond) clone, Amanda defines her career with the successful cloning of Superman in Connor Kent. Using DNA stolen from the Kryptonian, the project was kept close to her chest until the half human creation was in his teens.

Unlike the McGinnis and Grayson projects, which relied on uncontrolled events, Ms. Waller kept Connor in a controlled environment until he was ready for the outside world. She was sure she'd built him into the instrument he needed to be, but when need arose, he lacked the compassion and desire to do good that the original Superman had been raised with in Kansas. The real Superman, upset by the revelation, mentions this and Waller sends the boy off to be tutored and raised by his sort-of-grandmother, Martha Kent.

This stirs a growing rivalry and awkward relationship between 'father' and 'son', but allows Connor to experience middle-american life as a teen under the tutelage of Martha Kent. As the boy grows up, he does learn some of the compassion and care intended, but always remains a little more prideful, rebellious, and immature than his name-sake.

Superboy, finally adopting the name after his second year in Metropolis, has stayed mostly state side in his super hero-ing duties. Often over-critisized or redirected by Clark, their relationship remains estranged and uncomfortable, despite the efforts of important people in both their lives.

In the negotiations to get Batman off world with the JLA, one of the conditions was Superboy's presence to look over the city. More than a little frustrated with being sat out of the major action, Connor Kent is currently residing at the Bat Cave and on top of Gotham buildings waiting for trouble to stir up. He is eager to do 'something' to escape the boredom of being away from his friends and the more civilized Metropolis, and takes up the hunt of Bane and the supplies excitedly. As his powers lend themselves more eagerly to fighting, he is happy for more investigative help, and lends his super ears and eyes where he can.

Superboy - PL 10

Strength 12, Stamina 8, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 6, Extraordinary Effort, Move-by Action, Taunt

Skills
Deception 6 (+6), Insight 6 (+6), Perception 6 (+6), Ranged Combat: Heat Vision: Blast 10 9 (+10)

Powers
Flight: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)
. . Speed: Speed 10 (Alternate; Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round)
Heat Vision: Blast 10 (DC 25)
Invulnerable
. . Defense Effect (Saving Throw: Toughness; Impervious)
. . Immunity: Immunity 5 (Enviromental Conditions (All))
. . Protection: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness)
Super Senses: Senses 5 (Accurate: Hearing, Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Infravision, Ultra-hearing)
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Limited to Lifting)

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 22)
Heat Vision: Blast 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +1 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 27)

Complications
Motivation: Justice - Though he's not behind the whole 'doing good just because' idea, he fully supports justice
Relationship: Martha Kent
Temper - As a prideful teen, Connor is prone to giving in to his temper when embarrassed or b
Weakness: Kryptonite

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 13, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 48 + Powers 64 + Advantages 10 + Skills 9 (27 ranks) + Defenses 19 = 150

Mr.Sandman
05-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Are you allowing Power Level tradeoff at all? I am picturing Delphi as much more of a broad but lower powered hero, around 8,but can work with just the base 10 if not.

zeone3000
05-01-2014, 08:57 PM
@The_watchman
Thematically, it wouldn't. It easy tell when someone is spliced, even what the animal is. Though, I don't know how often he is out of his suit.

@whiteprofit
Believe it or not, Superboy was never introduced the DCAU or comics. So you're actually gonna have to give me some more background actually.

@Mr.Sandman
Honestly, I probably should allow PL tradeoffs because of the range of PL that DC has. Though, as a half Themysciran, PL 8 seems a tad low.

Mr.Sandman
05-01-2014, 09:25 PM
While some Themyscirans are immensely powerful, like Diana, most appear to be closer to gifted and well trained soldiers. I always thought flight and super strength and such were more from Diana being made of clay given divine life than a natural trait of her people.

whiteprofit
05-02-2014, 12:34 AM
@whiteprofit
Believe it or not, Superboy was never introduced the DCAU or comics. So you're actually gonna have to give me some more background actually.
*shrug* shows ya what I know. I'll come up with something tomorrow. Probably involve the US trying to clone the Supe's. Or maybe I'll go with a stray pod from Krypton... Sounds good right now, but I'm not going to trust the wine with this one..

The_Watchman
05-02-2014, 04:08 AM
@Whiteprofit, Cadmus does exist in Batman Beyond and Terry himself was an attempt to genetically engineer a new Batman so Super boy's standard origin could be used with some modification.

@zeone3000 No problem. I'll work up a suitable out of costume description. I may also make a few build changes to reflect a more overt physiological change.

Weyrd
05-02-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking of an Ink-like character. Leaning towards the background of Ink kidnapping/coercing a scientist into try to help stabilize her cellular structure. The efforts were, of course, interrupted by Batman before he could, but he was able to sneak away a sample of her cellular structure that he was able to use to modify his son's in order to same him from some genetic disease...or something like that. Powers would be along the lines of liquid insubstantial, elongation, morph, that sort of thing.

Bladewind
05-02-2014, 08:12 AM
*shrug* shows ya what I know. I'll come up with something tomorrow. Probably involve the US trying to clone the Supe's. Or maybe I'll go with a stray pod from Krypton... Sounds good right now, but I'm not going to trust the wine with this one..

Lot of potential in the Galatea storyline. Clone of Supergirl was a Power Girl nod but no cape...

On another note... the Beyond universe is such a cool premise... must ponder !

Nillaman
05-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Killer Croc - PL 10

Concept: The Fallen Athlete.

History: When he was born premature, Hector's parents sparred no expense in finding a way to ensure the young man's life, even turning to black market genetics engineering to make their child healthy once more. It worked but drove the family into the depths of poverty. This was nothing compared to the bright and brilliant child they were gifted with. For two decades the father and mother raised their son as best they could, worked hard to build a better life, and saw Hector looking to become one of the foremost athletes in his school. But at the final game of his senior year was when disaster struck. When the coach passed out vials of splicing mutagens which would give his players the edge in strength and speed they needed, Hector was told he could either be part of the team or lose his place on it. Jeopardizing his scholarship to a good college made the final choice for a young man, who injected himself.

Midway through the game, the chemicals finally choose to react poorly with the augmented DNA of the star player. He burst out of his uniform and became a scaly monstrosity, though he passed out from the pain shortly afterwards, and woke up floating in a heavily guarded medical pod. Informed that the coach had been arrested and tried for possession of illegal chemicals, distribution of illegal chemicals to minors, endangering minors through his actions, and illegal sports betting on his own team. Of course, Hector was also being denied his scholarship on the grounds of breaking rules concerning performance enhancers and engaging in criminal activities. The courts did rule that Hector was a victim and community service was assigned in place of prison time.

His life in shambles, his future bleak, his appearance like something out of a horror movie, the young man was saved from the depths of depression by his parents. Without them he would have become yet another member of Gotham's long list of unfortunate souls. Although college is now out of the question for him, he has been trying to make a positive difference in his community. Gaining a place in his father's construction company as he can shift massive amounts of weight without the aid of machinery has made him an indispensable part of the team...though it took some time to get over his predatory appearance. He has also been approached by the local Coast Guard because of his natural affinity for the aquatic but is unsure whether he's suited for such dangerous endeavors.

The recent surge in black market materials has been making Hector nervous though, especially the increased number of splicers he's been hearing about.

Abilities - 100 Points
Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 6, Dexterity 4, Fighting 10, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 3.

Powers - 22 Points
Animalistic: Feature 1 (Iron Stomach). Immunity 3 (Cold, Drowning, Pressure). Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Aquatic). Senses 9 (Accurate Olfactory, Acute Olfactory, Low-Light Vision, Ranged Olfactory, Tracking Olfactory). Swimming 7.

Advantages - 4 Points
Animal Empathy, Favored Environment (Aquatic), Jack of All Trades, Skill Mastery (Athletics).

Skills - 14 Points
Acrobatics 8 (+14), Athletics 10 (+20), Intimidation 7 (+10), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Stealth 7 (+13), Treatment 2 (+5).

Defenses - 10 Points
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 10.

Complications
Fame: A former star athlete caught in the middle of such a major debacle, along with his odd appearance and incredible powers, has kept the media hounding Hector and dubbed him Killer Croc after the old Gotham City villain.
Motivation - Acceptance: The first kind word he got from someone after the accident was for stopping a mugger. He makes efforts to build a good reputation for himself through heroic deeds.
Prejudice: Splicing has a troubled history in Neo Gotham and those who engage in the process are looked upon warily by many, despite Hector's condition not being reversible through conventional treatments.
Relationship: Both of his parents are deeply concerned over their son and continue to hide the truth of his mutation's cause from him.

Total: Abilities 100 + Powers 22 + Advantages 4 + Skills 14 + Defenses 10 = 150 Points

The_Watchman
05-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Hmmm...I'm thinking maybe Redback should be a cyborg instead of a splicer. It seems like there's a lot of genetically altered submission ideas and having the powers be cybernetic augmentations would help to make him less of a total Spider-man origin ripoff... I'll try to get a build revision and updated background together.

Bladewind
05-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I was wondering about making a Jericho legacy... I actually rewrote the power as written in the DC Adventures H&V to come up with this:

Powers
Possession:
Summon Controlled Version: Summon 10 [Controlled, Heroic, Variable Type (+2); Resistible (Will DC + Rank), Limited to Available Subjects, Limited (Components Vanish); Quirk - Host still controls their voice, must make eye contact with host], Mind Reading 10 [Cumulative, Effortless, Linked to Summon Controlled Version; Reduced Range 2 (Close), Limited to Controlled Target]
(48 points)

The idea is that if a target fails it's will, he has access to a PL 10 version. In some cases, this will mean he's better at using the target's powers, in others that he's not quite as good.

In there is a controlled aspect, which I essentially meant as his mind is in control but not of the voice. With the components disappear flaw I'm not entirely sure that works the way I want it to - for instance, he'd have access to the host's memories and skills plus his own... So either some of his own consciousness is paid for in PP or the flaw perhaps needs to be partial...

Thoughts before I continue the build ? I was contemplating super-speed or martial arts to compliment the power...

Illusionista
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Actually Superboy WAS in the DCAU! He made two comicbook appearances in the 90s. There were probably more, but hey, if you wanna dig around long-and-forgotten-land ;)

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_in_the_DC_Universe_Annual_Vol_1_1

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_in_the_DC_Universe_Vol_1_14

whiteprofit
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I updated my background. I drew inspiration from Young Justice, a scouring of wikipedia on the Beyond and Project Cadmus pages, and my own 'what if'. Let me know if it works. If not, I have some ideas for a speedster character instead.

Nillaman
05-02-2014, 02:33 PM
As a thought on the Superboy character, the Batman Beyond character had a whole society of psychics to their name, and it's clear that there were enough individuals present, both new and old, that psychics had become more common in that air.The original version of Superboy used tactile telekinetics to simulate Kryptonian powers, who's to say this character couldn't as well?

Weyrd
05-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Okay, here is what I've got for my Inque based character. Haven't had a chance to double check it for errors and any suggestions to make him better and more "Inque-like" would be welcomed. Also having trouble of coming up with his "superhero name", so suggestions there would be welcome as well.

David Cross 150/150pp

Abilities: (28pp)
Str: 1 (6)
Sta: 2
Agl: 4
Dex: 0
Fgt: 2
Int: 4
Awe: 2
Pre: 1

Combat: (32pp)
Dodge: 4 + 6 = 10
Parry: 2 + 10 = 12
Fort: 2 + 6 = 8
Will: 2 + 10 = 12
Tough: 2 + 2 + 4 = 8

Attack: Unarmed +14, Limb weapons + 12

Skills: 19pp
Acrobatics: 2 + 6 = 8
Athletics: 6 + 0 = 6
Close Combat (unarmed): 2 + 8 = 10
Close Combat (Limb weapons): 2 + 6 = 8
Deception: 1 + 5 = 6
Expertise (Law Enforcement): 4 + 4 = 8
Expertise (Forensic Science): 4 + 6 = 10
Insight: 2 + 4 = 6
Investigation: 4 + 6 = 10
Perception: 2 + 4 = 6
Persuasion: 1 + 1 = 2
Stealth: 4 + 6 = 10
Technology: 4 + 2 = 6
Treatment: 4 + 1 = 5
Vehicles: 0 + 1 = 1

Advantages: (15pp)
Improved Hold
Fast Grab
Chokehold
Power Attack
Defensive Roll 4
Close Attack 4
Prone Fighting
Hide in Plain Sight
Benefit (Law Enforcement)

Powers: (48pp )
Insubstantial 1 (Selective) (6pp)

Elongation 2 (2pp)

Morph 4 (Flaw: Limited, cannot mimic colors, everything is black/shades of grey) (16pp)

Extra Limbs 4(sustained) (4pp)

Limb Weapons: Str Based Damage, Penetrating 6

Movement (Slithering, Swinging) (2pp)

Osmotic Pressure: Enhanced Str 5 (10pp)

Fluid Nature: Protection 2

Complications:
Enemy: Inque - If Inque ever finds out about David, she will stop at nothing to get him.

Weakness: Water

Secret Identity - This goes both for his superhero persona vs. David Cross and David Cross vs. his true identity.

Honor: While David, more than others, can understand the necessity to skirt the law, he feels compelled to uphold it as much as possible (in an attempt to karmically balance the scales...as it were)

Motivation: Doing good

Background:

When David was just a young boy he was one of several unlucky people who contracted a virus that caused the gradual degeneration of his cellular structure. Scientist and Doctors were unable to develop any successful treatments or cures for the virus, although they did develop a viable vaccine. In the end, those inoculated with the vaccine had to watch helplessly as their loved ones slowly died. There are no recorded survivors of this virus that is now, thankfully, considered to be extinct.

In truth, though, there was one survivor. David's father, Henry Cross, was a brilliant scientist who was an expert in genetics and chemical mutagens, a fact that did not escape a certain genetically mutated industrial saboteur. Inque coerced Henry, through threats to his sons already precarious life, to work on a compound that would stabilized her cellular structure and allow her to retain her human form a will (something she was having trouble with at the time thanks to Batman.) Inevitably this effort caught the attention of the Batman and Inque was thwarted, but in the process Henry was able to sneak away a sample of Inque's cellular structure. In his studies to stabilize it he had come to the realization it was the key to curing his son and halting, even reversing his cellular destabilization. Within a matter of weeks David was good as new, better in fact, as he had gained all of Inque's unique abilities without her unstable cellular structure. He could retain human form easily (although his skin tone was very grey, making him appear more sickly than a normal person), and also abandon it to take on a variety of forms.

Henry was ecstatic, but knew they needed to be careful. Not only was it not exactly "legal" what he had done to his son, but he knew that if Inque ever return and discovered what his son was, that David's life would be in jeopardy. And so Henry reported his son as dead, done in by the virus and his remains quickly cremated (a common occurrence of the time, given the gruesome state of the viruses victims.) The moved and changed identities (to Henry and David Cross,) establishing a new life.

David led a fairly normal high school and college life, thanks to his adherence to his Dad's instructions to keep his powers under wraps. He had an aptitude for science, like his father, but had a desire to do more good with it than his father did (although he was very grateful for his father's efforts.) Since he owed his life to "illegal" actions, he felt a responsibility to help support the law and thus pursued a career in forensic science. He now works for Neo-Gotham's police force as a forensic scientist. But for all he's done for the city in this position, he knows that he could do so much more...

Shadow13
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Code Name Shadow
Real Name Juan Nichols
Gender Male
Age 16
Height 5 9 Weight 155
Hair Color Black Eye Color Blue
Race Meta Human
Nationality Dual citizenship US and Brazil
Concept: Urban Ninja Parkour expert
*Alternate Speedster

Background

Juan is born from a father who served in the US military became a cage fighter and met his mom while training in Brazil. His father was a meta human who was just quicker, healed faster than most people but not at super human levels. His mother was a gymnast and studied martial arts as well she was a low level meta human with bursts of speed due to adrenaline control. Juan inherited his abilities from bother parents but his power set is his own and an evolution of both his parents’ powers combined.

Juan has been training and in the Dojo since he was a baby always watching and later on mimicking everyone in the Dojo. Between the ages 5 and 7 he was running around mimicking forms and katas perfectly next to whoever was practicing. Once he saw someone execute a maneuver he could do it also. So he was trained at an early age and learned from every student and master who came in.

Flavor or how his combat reflexes work

Juan’s memory, adrenaline system, muscle control and nervous system are evolved and hyper active. He is constantly taking in information and his brain is on alert for danger. His natural ability to observe and learn is enhanced where he can perfectly mimic anyone’s physical action. This makes him a natural prodigy for physical skills and able to learn and speak other languages. It takes little effort to learn a physical movement while being taught which greatly reduces the time for him to learn and master martial arts styles, acrobatic and gymnastic skills. Combined with his perfect memory he can store endless information of fighting styles and physical skills.

Juan has an innate defensive and offensive natural ability. When facing a person his mind quickly assesses how good that person the person is and adjusts reflexes and adds styles to counter his opponent.

This of course leads to a very cocky teenager who has competed and won countless tournaments and competitions in martial arts and gymnastics. He has several black belts and countless trophies but he is a white belt when dealing with people outside the ring.

Disadvantages

Juan’s metabolism is overactive due to his enhanced brain activity and his healing ability. So he eats more than a normal person. He eats constantly and gains no weight. This could lead to a power loss if he doesn’t eat enough.

Juan if in great danger can become a being of pure combat. Basically his self-preservation part of his brain kicks in and all energy is focused in staying alive. He will attack anything that is hostile to himself and people he knows.

The_Watchman
05-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Made some modifications to Redback's background and minor build changes.

Mr.Sandman
05-03-2014, 12:44 PM
PL 10 Delphi.

Delphi
PL 10

Abilities 54 pp
Str 4
Sta 4
Agl 4
Dex 3
Fgt 4
Int 3
Awe 2
Pre 3

Defenses 16 pp
Dodge 10
Parry 10
Fort 6
Will 4
Toughness 10 (Flat Footed 5)

Offensive
Unarmed Attack +13 (DC 22)

Skills 44 pp
Acrobatics 16
Athletics 13
Unarmed Combat 13
Deception 12
Ex. Computers 18
Ex. Streetwise 12
Insight 14
Investigation 15
Perception 11
Slight of Hand 15
Stealth 13
Technology 18

Advantages 28 pp
Wealth 4
Defense Roll 5
Agile Feint
Accurate Attack
All out attack
Assessment
Defensive Attack
Evasion
Great Endurance
Hide in plain sight
Improved Disarm
Improved Trip
Inventor
Power Attack
Redirect
Takedown
Taunt
Equipment 4

Equipment 20 ep
Suit (Protection 1)
Hardened Gloves (Str based Damage 3)
Commlink
Computer
Mini Tracer
Concealable Microphone
Night Vision Goggles
Rebreather
Multi Tool
Camera
House (medium) HQ
.. Communications, Computer, Library, Living Space, Power System, Secret, Workshop

Powers 8 pp
Prophecy AI (All removable at once 15 pp to spend)
Enhanced Advantages
.. Jack of all trades
.. Well informed
.. Ultimate Technology
.. Skill Mastery Technology
Quickness 3 (Limited Technology checks on Computers)
Radio Sense
Comprehend Machines

Math: Abilities 54+ Defenses 16+ Skills 44+ Advantages 28+ Powers 8= 15

Melissa Brown is a business student at Neo-Gothem University and daughter of Maxwell Brown, CEO of Brown Cyber Solutions, and Kela Brown, a Themysciran Diplomat. Her first foray into heroing began when her girlfriend, genius botanist Shelly Florance, was abducted. Distraught, she sought comfort in the company of her grandmother, Stephanie. She couldn't sleep that night, and wound up eavesdropping on a conversation her grandmother was having with an older sounding man over the computer. Stephanie was begging him to send 'that new boy' out to find Shelly, only to get the reply that there were 'bigger problems' before hanging up. Mel would have slunk back to her room but she unknowingly set off the motion detector outside the door to her grandmothers room. After ordering her into the room, her grandmother told her that she had, briefly, been the second Batgirl, but that she had made a foolish mistake, one that cost her the use of her legs. Unwilling to sit on the sidelines, she put her skills as a programmer to use, operating and improving the digital systems used by the Bat family, and going by the name Oracle. Batman, she said, was unable to devote his time to finding her girlfriend but, if Mel was willing to do the legwork, they could do it themselves.*

Together they traced the abduction to the environmental terrorist group Seeds of Revolution, a violent cult like group that used genetic engineering to make themselves as close to plants as possible. Donning a simple black mask and costume to hide her identity Melissa snuck into the hideout where they had traced Shelly to. To her horror, they had already subjected her girlfriend to their strongest genetic engineering, which had driven her insane. She was now the leader of the Seeds, the mad Wallflower. Melissa could not bring herself to fight her, so she ran, devastated and angry. She was furious that, through his inaction, the Batman had allowed the woman she loved to be corrupted, and promised herself that if he couldn't be trusted to clean up the city, she would. She learned to fight quickly thanks to her Themysciran heritage, and is naturally stronger and faster than most men as well. She was already a gifted computer programmer and technician, as her father expected her to know the ropes when she took over the company someday, and her grandmother gifted her with a prototype AI she calls Prophecy. In honor of her heritage she calls herself Delphi, an ancient Greek oracle. She searches desperately to find a way to cure Shelly, convinced that there is still something of her left in Wallflower, as she has not yet revealed the true identity of the greatest thorn in their side to her followers. Delphi finds herself embroiled in the latest case when a doctor, who she had been keeping tabs on for his work in reversing genetic damage, reports a crate of drugs he designed missing. With Batman missing Delphi takes up the case, calling this just another sign that he focuses too much of his time on saving the world, and not enough time where it belongs.

Complications
Motivation: Protect Gotham/Show up Batman. Melissa feels that Batman has been focusing too much of his time outside of the city he swore to protect, so she will.*
Relationship: Shelly Florance/ Wallflower. Melissa still loves Shelly, despite the fact that she now leads the group that is Delphis enemy. She cannot bring herself to harm her personally, though currently the feeling seems to go both ways. Wallflower has not yet revealed Delphis identity to her subjects or harmed her personally, she has even ordered her subjects to use nonlethal force when dealing with the hero.
Enemy: Seeds of Revolution. An environmental terrorist group, bringing about a return to nature in Neo-Gotham, violently if need be. The Seeds genetically alter their bodies to be closer to plant like.
Grudge: Batman. Melissa blames Batman for her girlfriends transformation, thinking that the more experienced superhero would have found the Seeds quickly enough to stop them had he bothered to help. There were bigger problems elsewhere he needed to take care of at the time, which led to her belief that he is too focused elsewhere.

Identity: Secret
Hometown: Neo-Gotham
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height 5'7''
Weight 130 lbs

Bladewind
05-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Jerricho
PL10

Abilities
Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 13, Intellect 0, Awareness 5, Presence 0

Powers
Possession:
Summon Controlled Version: Summon 10 [Controlled, Heroic, Variable Type (+2); Resistible (Will DC + Rank), Limited to Available Subjects, Limited (Components Vanish); Quirk - Host still controls their voice, must make eye contact with host], Mind Reading 10 [Cumulative, Effortless, Linked to Summon Controlled Version; Reduced Range 2 (Close), Limited to Controlled Target]
(48 points)

Equipment

Advantages
Assessment, Eidetic Memory, Languages 1 [American Sign Language], All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical 1 [Unarmed], Improved Smash, Skill Mastery [Make Routine Athletics checks], Takedown 1, Defensive Roll 3

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+5), Athletics 6 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+15), Deception 4 (+4), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+6), Perception 4 (+9), Persuasion (+0), Sleight of Hand 6 (+8), Stealth 6 (+7)

Offense
Initiative +1

Defense
Dodge 7,
Parry 13
Toughness 6 (Def Roll 3),
Fortitude 3,
Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 48 + Advantages 12 + Skills 24 + Defenses 11 = Total 149

Complications

Design Notes
* Still working on the build but wanted to post a rough draft.
* It occurs to me that this is a character with a lot of potential and that has a lot of potential to be a royal pain. For instance, whoever he is right now... who knows if that's what he really looks like? He could be a body hopper. Considering he has mind reading, he could hop into a body (summon the Gestalt character using someone else as a template) and make them do stuff... then leave. Since he has mind reading and not telepathic communication they'd have no real idea of what they'd done and why. The only real drawback to this trick is that the gestalt speaks with the original's voice...
* Maybe I'll make a change to the combined form that is more quirk worthy in that he cannot speak while skin riding...

zeone3000
05-03-2014, 07:09 PM
@Mr.Sandman

After a little research, it would seem their various abilities are blessing from the gods. While there does seem to be a baseline, being only half, we can just skirt it.

@Nillaman

Only two things immideatly jump out at me from a quick look over. No Growth, which I'm assuming he's still normal size then. Two, Hide in Plain Sight, just seems out of the ordinary for Killer Croc. Now, I can see that in aquatic situations.

@Illusionista

Huh? Who knew? Might have to look through thoses.

@whiteprofit

Approved.

@Weyrd

Three that came to mind were Smudge, Blot and Shade. Oh and Toner, I don't know why.

If I missed anything or anybody, get at me. Gonna be busy most of tomorrow too like yesterday, hence why I now just go to this. Concepts are lookiing solid, I'll be go over builds Monday. Not closing recruitment until... Oh, let's say hump day.

Mr.Sandman
05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Just checking, is that a yes on the PL 8 then?

Nillaman
05-04-2014, 06:57 AM
@Nillaman

Only two things immideatly jump out at me from a quick look over. No Growth, which I'm assuming he's still normal size then. Two, Hide in Plain Sight, just seems out of the ordinary for Killer Croc. Now, I can see that in aquatic situations.

He is normal sized, splicing doesn't seem to drastically enhance height from what I've seen, just alter appearance and enhance capabilities. Hide in Plain Sight...yeah, that doesn't work as well as I first thought it would.

What about the Iron Stomach option in Feature? Being able to eat just about anything fits in line with the raw-meat consuming Killer Croc.

zeone3000
05-04-2014, 07:09 AM
@Mr.Sandman
I'm gonna have to say no. It will be easier for me if everyone's on the same playing field.

@Nillaman
I thought it might, with you being a special case as it has with other special cases. Like Abel Cuvier

Definitely.

Mr.Sandman
05-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Ok. Going to move some points around to fix some things.

Nillaman
05-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Adjusted the sheet some. Made the character a star athlete who used splicing as a performance enhancement drug after pressure from his coach and teammates, the mutation is permanent, and the media are the ones who dubbed him 'Killer Croc' because of his uncanny resemblance to the old Gotham City villain. I know he's still around, but I believe Croc is still locked away, and I'm unsure the public is aware he's even alive anymore.

I figure that could be an interesting meet-up later on. ^^

Bladewind
05-04-2014, 10:20 AM
If I missed anything or anybody, get at me.

Missed Jericho it seems... :)

Mr.Sandman
05-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Edited Delphi a bit.

whiteprofit
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Updated Superboy (http://roninarmy.com/threads/107-DC-Beyond-The-Second-Head-(One-Shot-Recruitment)?p=1204&viewfull=1#post1204) with a PL 10 build.

zeone3000
05-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Missed Jericho it seems... :)

Oh, did you have a question about him? That's what I meant.

Bladewind
05-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Ah ! Nope, no real questions. Other than if you think the possession as presented has a shot at a place or you think it`s in the "too much work to be viable category" of characters.

The_Watchman
05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Any issues to address with Redback?

Evolución
05-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I'll repost Ivory Knight here, just in case you missed it the first time.

A historian specialized and obsessed with medieval times, Ken McWroth worked hard at the university of Neo-Gotham. He came to know of a respected physics professor and researched, Dr. Tobias Murdock, that had been recently shunned by the scientific community by his attempts to create a time machine. Wonder lust guiding his steps, Ked decided to help the man build his machine, and perhaps transport him to the times of old.
But Murdock had other plans. He wished to contact the dark entities of the Otherworld, powerful beings that try constantly to rip the fabric of reality. When the machine was completed, Murdock called Ken.
Ken rushed to the lab, to find the impressive device humming with electricity. He had brought the clothing, the archaic weapons and armor , so the people of the past will recognize him as one of them.
What followed could only be imagined. The machine opened a rift in reality, and the entities of the Otherworld gazed upon Ken with their many eyes. Murdock was expecting the entities to take Ken as a sacrifice and grant him power, but instead of that, the things started imbuing Ken with energy from the Otherworld, to turn him into a dark avatar to bring chaos and destruction. Realizing his mistake, Murdock tried to close the rift, and the only viable option was to destroy the machine he had created.
In the aftermatch, Ken was no more. There stood a creature of ivory flesh, clad in armor and wielding a sword. The Ivory Knight was born that day, a being wielding the power of the other side, his mind twisted with deliriums of the past. He was set to eradicate the evildoers from Gotham, specially mad scientists who play with forces beyond their understanding and control.
Lately, Ken has been hearing the whispers of the entities of the Otherworld, the exhort him to spread chaos and destruction, as they have since he was touched by their energy. He had shunned thier evil commands since then, but their voice is getting louder, harder to shun. He fears that perhaps one day he will no longer be able to contain them.
Murdock is rumoured to have escaped prison, and its secretly working to steal the otherworld boon from Ken once again. The rumours of nanotech stashes being stole triggers the detective in Ken, and the Ivory Knight is set to search for those responsible, possibly locating his nemesis in the process.

Name: Ivory King, once Ken McWroth

Complications
Affected by the Otherworld: Sometimes, his connection with the otherworld affects his mind.
Stoical : The King is not well versed in conversation. He suffers a penalty to all social interaction skills
Enemy : Tobias Murdock, the mad scientist responsible for his present state

Abilities ( 44 pp)
Strength 5 , Stamina 6 , Agility 3 , Dexterity 5 , Fighting 4 , Intellect 0 , Awareness 3 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 35 pp)
- Magical ivory ( Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs magical energy, enhances growth ) · 8 point/s
- Mental ivory (AP: Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs psychic energy, enhances growth ) · 1 point/s
- Icy ivory ( AP: Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs Cold energy, enhances STR ) · 1 point/s
- Otherwordly Ivory ( Growth Density 1 : Str and Sta +2 ) · 4 point/s

- Ivory heart ( Immunity 10 : Emotion, interaction skills, Flaw: Uncontrollable ) · 5 point/s

- Magic proof ( Immunity 5 : Magic damage ) · 5 point/s
- Psychic proof ( AP: Immunity 5 : psychic damage ) · 1 point/s
- Ice proof ( AP: Immunity 5 : Cold damage ) · 1 point/s

- Ivory Sword ( STR extras : Multiattack, Secondary effect ) · 9 point/s

Advantages ( 30 pp)
Imp. Aim 1 , All out attack 1 , Close attack 6 , Takedown 2 , Ranged attack 5 , Equipment 2 , Imp. Initaitve 1 , Throwing mastery 9 , Move by action 1 , Power attack 1 , Teamwork 1

Skills ( 17 pp)
Acrobatics 6 (+ 9 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 6 (+ 11 ), Insight 6 (+ 9 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 5 ), Perception 8 (+ 11 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 8 (+ 11 ),

Offence
Initiative: 7

Throw + 10 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Ranged ( )
Unarmed + 10 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee ( )
Throwing knives (Shuriken) + 10 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Multiattack ( )
Sword + 10 Attack for DC: 23 Range: Melee ( )

Defence ( 24 pp)
Dodge: 10 Parry: : 10
Toughness: 9
Fortitude: 10
Will: 10

[b] Equipment[/size] Cost
Chain mail 3
Sword 4
dagger 2
Shuriken(throwing knives) 3

Jemal
05-07-2014, 01:08 AM
I initially avoided this on the other forum b/c I have zero experience with DC Beyond, but I've done some googling and it seems to be a high-tech sci-fi/cyberpunk super hero setting.. and that's pretty damn interesting..

SO, If you're still recruiting would you have a problem with someone who has no knowledge of the setting?

In fact, I have a couple concepts that would interestingly (well to me at least) explain said lack of knowledge IN character. :)

Lets see..
Teleporter who accidentally crosses dimensions and ends up in Gotham.. (various teleport powers)
Scientist who invents advanced semi-intelligent cloud of nanites, then is destroyed with his creation in an anti-technology terrorist attack, but is rebuilt by the nanites. (Create/transform powers)
Survivor of an experimental super-serum program who looses parts of his memory. (Powers tbd, likely paragon or TK)
Alien stuck on earth. (Powers tbd)
Human/plant hybrid, possible connections to Poison Ivy (if she's around in Beyond).

Jemal
05-07-2014, 01:54 AM
Was looking over some of the other characters to get a feel for the theme everybody's going for, and saw Jericho's Possession power

(48 points)

I'm guessing what you're trying to describe is your character possessing another character and controlling their body, though they keep control of their voice, right?

I'm not the GM, but I'd like to give my opinion:
First off, the way you have it written, they get one save, and then you control them until you decide to stop. It's not even a ranked save like normal mind control would be with an affliction - if they fail at all, your power goes off. This is essentially a 'save or lose' ability.

Second, your 'limited: Components vanish'. I'm assuming this is to show that the new 'summoned version' that is an amalgamation of you and them is the 'only' version, so there's no copy's laying around, but that's actually not much of a limit, in fact it seems more like an extra.. you don't have to worry about the original, you don't have to worry about your own body, etc..
the 'vanishing' is basically gaining Incorporeal as a Downside..

Third, the mind reading would make sense if you were using an affliction, but with the way your summon is worded, it does literally nothing.. First off b/c you cease to exist and thus no longer have access to the mind reading power, second because the other guy ceases to exist and so you can no longer read his mind.

Fourth, as a close range ability, your mind reading would require you to maintain contact with the target..and since, as noted above, both of you have 'vanished'...

I think this make a lot more sense (And be a lot more balanced) as an affliction..

Possession: 29 + 1 + 12 = 42pp
Affliction 10 (Extra Condition +1/rank, Cumulative +1/rank, Concentration +1/rank, Instant Recovery -1/rank, Quirk: still controls own voice): 3/rank-1 = 29p
*Conditions: Entranced & Impaired; Compelled & Disabled; Controlled & Mentally Transformed
Linked Mind Reading 1 (Sensory Link +1/rank, Concentration -1/rank, Feedback -1/rank): 1/rank = 1p
Linked Insubstantial 4 (Concentration -1/rank, limited: Can't move away from Possession victim -1/rank): 3/rank = 12p

*NOTES:
Affliction: The Extra Condition gives impaired & Disabled at the first two stages, giving the victim penalties to everything they do (Including saves to resist the power), both representing them spending their effort trying to fight off the control AND giving you a greater chance of establishing full control on subsequent turns if you fail on the first turn. I made it cumulative & Concentration instead of progessive b/c that allows for the instant recovery (Which makes sense: As soon as you un-possess them, they should no longer be under your control), and because it allows your entire power to be concentration - you turn insubstantial and continuously try to possess the target until you succeed or stop trying. It also has ONE upside over Progressive - If they fail by 1 degree the first time, and TWO degrees the second time, that counts as 3 degrees with Cumulative (Meaning fully controlled), but would only increase their condition to the 2nd degree with Progressive.

Mind Reading: You really only need 1 rank of mind reading if you want to represent knowing what the target knows, b/c if you're controlling him you can just have him voluntarily fail the mind reading save. For this same reason you also don't really need effortless/cumulative. (ALTHOUGH, as I've said, I'm not the GM, and he may view this differently)
If you want to be able to read their minds BEFORE they're fully under your control (Or if the GM disagrees with my interpretation), THEN I'd suggest making it a real mind reading.
I added feedback b/c if you're possessing them it makes sense that you should take some of the negative effects of what happens to them while you're inside them.

Insubstantial: This is the only proper way I can think of to show your own character 'going away'. Making it and the affliction concentration means you can't really take any actions outside of ordering your possessed body to do things (move) and maintain the power (Standard).

Overall, I think this does what you're looking for, AND is 6 pp cheaper than the one you were using, unless you have to up the mind reading, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Bladewind
05-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Thanks for that feedback Jemal. I'll have to look at that in more detail.

Thing is, the flaw of components vanish is one taken directly from the Summoning Profile. ;)
One thing that mine addresses (despite your very valid points) is that the possessed version is limited by his own Pl. So the possessed Superman is PL 10 not 15...

But, again, thanks for the feedback.

Weyrd
05-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Teleporter who accidentally crosses dimensions and ends up in Gotham.. (various teleport powers)
Scientist who invents advanced semi-intelligent cloud of nanites, then is destroyed with his creation in an anti-technology terrorist attack, but is rebuilt by the nanites. (Create/transform powers)
Survivor of an experimental super-serum program who looses parts of his memory. (Powers tbd, likely paragon or TK)
Alien stuck on earth. (Powers tbd)
Human/plant hybrid, possible connections to Poison Ivy (if she's around in Beyond).

In my opinion (which doesn't REALLY matter) the human/plant hybrid, super-serum survivor, or the scientist seem like the concepts that would best fit within the Neo-Gotham setting. The alien and teleporter could work (there are plenty of aliens and dimensional travels in the DC universe), but you'd want to make sure their background still fit the tone of the setting, which always seemed to me to be more "super-science" than mystical/fantastical. But that's just from my take on the setting.

Weyrd
05-07-2014, 09:56 AM
*NOTES:
Affliction: The Extra Condition gives impaired & Disabled at the first two stages, giving the victim penalties to everything they do (Including saves to resist the power), both representing them spending their effort trying to fight off the control AND giving you a greater chance of establishing full control on subsequent turns if you fail on the first turn. I made it cumulative & Concentration instead of progessive b/c that allows for the instant recovery (Which makes sense: As soon as you un-possess them, they should no longer be under your control), and because it allows your entire power to be concentration - you turn insubstantial and continuously try to possess the target until you succeed or stop trying. It also has ONE upside over Progressive - If they fail by 1 degree the first time, and TWO degrees the second time, that counts as 3 degrees with Cumulative (Meaning fully controlled), but would only increase their condition to the 2nd degree with Progressive.

Mind Reading: You really only need 1 rank of mind reading if you want to represent knowing what the target knows, b/c if you're controlling him you can just have him voluntarily fail the mind reading save. For this same reason you also don't really need effortless/cumulative. (ALTHOUGH, as I've said, I'm not the GM, and he may view this differently)
If you want to be able to read their minds BEFORE they're fully under your control (Or if the GM disagrees with my interpretation), THEN I'd suggest making it a real mind reading.
I added feedback b/c if you're possessing them it makes sense that you should take some of the negative effects of what happens to them while you're inside them.

Insubstantial: This is the only proper way I can think of to show your own character 'going away'. Making it and the affliction concentration means you can't really take any actions outside of ordering your possessed body to do things (move) and maintain the power (Standard).

Overall, I think this does what you're looking for, AND is 6 pp cheaper than the one you were using, unless you have to up the mind reading, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I do agree that the affliction route, with the degrees of success/failure would probably be the way to go.

Feedback is typically only applied to powers with a physical(ish) manifestation, like illusion, summon, or create, although you could use the definition that the target of his affliction is considered the physical manifestation of the power. I do think that the flaw would probably be more appropriate on the affliction power, rather than the mind reading.

As for the insubstantial, I don't believe there is a need for it. I believe he should keep the "vanish" modifier, but have it be a +0 modifier instead. I'm assuming he won't have separate turns for the possession victim and himself while he possesses someone (those turns become one and the same), so the benefit of not having to worry about his form being damaged (except by feedback) combine with the flaw of losing (in a sense) an action round would make it balance out as a +0. Also with insubstantial, you'd need to add total concealment linked in or you'd have to have him described as just standing next to his victim in plain sight. Then, even if he is hidden he still has to worry about damage from attacks (especially area attacks) from the "one element" that he is vulnerable to (unless the GM waves that requirement) along with feedback saves from the damage essentially doubling his saves in those cases.

Bladewind
05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Thought I posted this....

Jemal, I believe, took the Jericho write up as written. I used the Summon Power Profile...

Jemal
05-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Thanks for that feedback Jemal. I'll have to look at that in more detail.
Thing is, the flaw of components vanish is one taken directly from the Summoning Profile.
One thing that mine addresses (despite your very valid points) is that the possessed version is limited by his own Pl. So the possessed Superman is PL 10 not 15...
But, again, thanks for the feedback.

Jemal, I believe, took the Jericho write up as written. I used the Summon Power Profile...

NP, I like giving (AND receiving) Feedback from other (potential) players.

Not sure what you mean by taking it as written, I just looked at what you had and translated it into an affliction power that I thought was fitting.
I'm guessing the summon power profile is one of the power profile PDF's? I haven't read it, but that 'component's vanish' thing sounds (without having actually read anything about it) like it was meant to duplicate the 2e gestalt power with two willing components.

As for the possesed version being limited by PL, I hadn't thought of that.. is that a required part of the character in your mind? If so you could add it on as a limit, quirk, or complication (Whatever the GM thinks is most appropriate) : Possessed characters PL are reduced to yours

Feedback is typically only applied to powers with a physical(ish) manifestation, like illusion, summon, or create, although you could use the definition that the target of his affliction is considered the physical manifestation of the power. I do think that the flaw would probably be more appropriate on the affliction power, rather than the mind reading.
Hadn't thought of that, but yeah that could work. I had it on mind reading b/c it's actually listed as a suggested flaw for the mind reading power.

As for the insubstantial, I don't believe there is a need for it. I believe he should keep the "vanish" modifier, but have it be a +0 modifier instead. I'm assuming he won't have separate turns for the possession victim and himself while he possesses someone (those turns become one and the same), so the benefit of not having to worry about his form being damaged (except by feedback) combine with the flaw of losing (in a sense) an action round would make it balance out as a +0. Also with insubstantial, you'd need to add total concealment linked in or you'd have to have him described as just standing next to his victim in plain sight. Then, even if he is hidden he still has to worry about damage from attacks (especially area attacks) from the "one element" that he is vulnerable to (unless the GM waves that requirement) along with feedback saves from the damage essentially doubling his saves in those cases.
I had just been assuming he always insubstantially floated inside the possessed victim, blocking all but special senses, but yeah I can see how it might be a bit weird.
GM/player's choice, I suppose.

In my opinion (which doesn't REALLY matter) the human/plant hybrid, super-serum survivor, or the scientist seem like the concepts that would best fit within the Neo-Gotham setting. The alien and teleporter could work (there are plenty of aliens and dimensional travels in the DC universe), but you'd want to make sure their background still fit the tone of the setting, which always seemed to me to be more "super-science" than mystical/fantastical. But that's just from my take on the setting.
Aww, it matters to me, weyrdo.. :p
Yeah the scientist is the one I'm most intrigued by, so I started stating him up and realized that he might be a bit too much (It's a sentient, highly intelligent swarm of nanites with insubstantial, Create, and Transform).. I mean, I think he fits the theme great, but might be a bit too high powered.

I'll post him up and we'll see if people think he needs to be toned down or replaced.

*EDIT: Here's the rough draft of my Scientist turned sentient nanite swarm. He's not finished or polished, etc..
I just wanted to get the basics up and see what y'all think. Good? Bad? ... Ugly?

Carl Clarke, the Creator - PL 10 (150 PP)
Background:
Carl Clarke along with his brothers Isaac and Albert, are co-founders of the tech giant "Sufficiently Advanced Technologies", where they use their super-genius to blur the lines between magic and technology.

Recently they delved into that most magical of sciences - nanotech. They developed nanites which could transform energy into matter on a molecular scale, but the energy requirements to create even small amounts of mass are (As anybody who knows the famous equation can attest) enormous.
Regardless, they were successful and drew the attention of a group of Anti-technology terrorists, who cited the work as an affront to nature, and that people were not meant to have the power to 'create something from nothing'.

While they were at a tech demo, the place was attacked with explosives, injuring many, destroying the nanites, and tragically killing Carl.. Or so everybody thought. The reality was far more wondrous. The sudden influx of energy from the explosion was absorbed by the busy little nanites, and in addition to opening up new paths, caused them to fuse with Carl's body, completely deconstructing it as the explosion seemingly tore through him. The blast knocked them offline for a while, and then history began to take shape.

As the nanites came online, they were imbued with a new life, their limited programing augmented now by Carl's sentience, and they and he became a new combined being, a single powerful consciousness inhabiting the powerful swarm.

Abilities: 8pp
STR -1 (-2pp)
STA 0
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 0
INT 5 (10pp)
AWE 0
PRE 0

Speed:
30' ground (2mph)
250' flight (16mph)

Offenses:
Targeted Damage: +12, Toughness DC 23(Penetrating, Multi-attack, Indirect, Variable descriptor)
*Range: 40/80/200
Area Damage: Reflex DC 20, Toughness DC 25 (120 cubic feet Shapeable, Variable Descriptor)
Area Affliction: Reflex DC 20, Fort DC 20 (60 Cubic Feet Shapeable, Variable Descriptor)
*Variable Conditions*

Defenses: (28pp)
Dodge: +8 (8 base)
Parry: +8 (8 Enhanced *Rigid Form Only*)
Toughness: +12 Impervious (12 protection *Rigid Form Only*)
Fort: +8 (8 base)
Will +12 (12 base)

Skills: (69 ranks= 23pp)
Insight(+10/10), Investigation(+10/5), Perception(+10/10), Persuasion(+8/8), Technology(+18/13)
Expertise: Science(+20/15), History(+8/3), Math(+10/5), All Others +5

Advantages: 9
Assessment, Benefit (Wealth), Connected, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate(Science), Improvised Tools, Inventor, Luck, Ultimate Science

Powers: 82pp
Feature: Living Machine: 1p
Morph 1: (Nano-cloud/Solid Form, Metamorph *Changes Powers*, Move Action, Quirk: No Disguise bonus/appearance change): 4pp
Mental Quickness 2: 1pp
Comprehend 5: Languages 3 (Understand, Read, Write), Machines 2: 10pp

-----
Nano-Cloud Powers: 28+14+14+8+2 = 66pp
Insubstantial 4 (Continuous+1/rank, Precise, Innate, Subtle 2): 6/rank +4 = 28pp
Senses 14: Radio 3(Analytical, Rapid), Vision 8(Analytical, Microscopic 4, Darkvision, Rapid, Radius), Hearing 2(Analytical, Rapid), Time Sense: 14pp
Communication 3 (Radio, Rapid, Subtle): 4/rank +2 = 14pp
Flight 3 (Aquatic, Subtle): 2/rank +2 = 8pp
Immunity: Suffocation: 2pp

-----
Rigid Form Powers: 20+46 = 66pp
Enhanced Defenses: Protection 12, Parry 8: 20pp
Molecular Rearrangement Array: 42p + 4 ap = 46pp
-Primary: Transform 10 (Anything: 5/rank, Continuous +1/rank, Distracting -1/rank, Precise, Reach): 5/rank+2 = 42p
-AP: Create 13 (Continuous +1/rank, Movable +1/rank, Limit: No Offense -1/rank, Subtle, Precise, Innate): 3/rank +3 = 42p
-AP: Damage 8 (Ranged +1/rank, Multi-attack +1/rank, Penetrating +1/rank, Accurate 6, Indirect 4, Variable Descriptor 2, Diminished Range 2): 4/rank+10 = 42p
-AP: Damage 10 (Area: Shapeable +3/rank, Variable Descriptor 2): 4/rank+2 = 42p
-AP: Affliction 10 (Area: Shapeable +2/rank, Variable Condition +1/rank, Variable Descriptor 2): 4/rank+2 = 42p
-----

COST: 8 Abilities +28 Defenses +23 Skills +9 Advantages +82 Powers = 150/150

Complications:
Living Machine: See design notes
Magnetism: Magnetic fields can have some wonky effects on the little guys.

Design Notes:

Fascinate(Science): Alright, this may seem odd, but I'm basing the character off Carl Sagan, and you can listen to that man talk about science all day. ;)

Living Machine: The Nanites have essentially replaced most of the cells in Carl's body. Their microscopic size makes it almost impossible to tell the difference between biology and technology, and they function almost identically to biological cells in most aspects. He is essentially both Biological AND Technological on a celular scale, gaining the Pros(feature) AND Cons(Complication) of this.
This also explains why Carl still has to eat/drink, breath(in solid form), etc.. The nanites rebuilt him down to the organic imperfections of these requirements, and (unneccesarily) simulate those needs. Perhaps in the future, he'll gain enough precise control to override this basic oversight.. though at that point he will essentially be re-writing his own genetic code!

Morph: The Nanites are normally in their 'nano-cloud' mode, which is to say they still look like Carl, and are usually 'solid', but are loosely bound, allowing them to fly and pass straight through most things if they wish, as well as becoming immune to most forms of energy (they are in fact absorbing it and using it to keep powering themselves) except Cold, which can disrupt their functionality.
While in this State, they are better able to detect and send signals, gaining enhanced senses and communications abilities.
The Nanite Cells are capable of binding together more directly, forming a Rigid body while they redirect their energy to transform & create objects.

Molecular Rearangement array:
You've probably noticed that I gave him both create AND Transform - a lot of the things they do overlap, but I decided to use both to showcase that the nanites can make anything out of anything (Transform)- even out of air/nothing by transforming energy into matter(Create). It seems like a lot, but I think with the overlap there's not TOO much extra having both gives him. Also, they aren't his primary combat abilities - that would be the damage and affliction.

Create: The create's limit 'No Offense' means he can't use it for the damaging or trapping aspects - nothing that allows a saving throw (hence why it's above PL)
Damage: The damage effects are him making nearby objects alter shape to form 'attacks', or creating things out of nowhere to attack with: Spikes shooting from the ground, walls collapsing, cables whipping, Rocks dropping, etc.
Affliction: This is various conditions he can inflict on targets by altering the environment.
I took an ad-hoc "variable condition' modifier to allow him to change the conditions based on the descriptor of what he's doing (Wrapping them in chains, turning the ground under them to mud, creating tear gas around them, etc).
The alternatives were either using a bunch of Extra Conditions & Limits, or building multiple (more powerful) Alternate Powers to showcase various attacks.
I prefered this way b/c it means he can do stuff on the fly, so while it's not quite as powerful as the other build would have been, it's more versatile and fun.

*Special note: I would've rather just used a Variable array instead of the 'morph/nano-cloud/Rigid form array' stuff, but most GM's don't like Variable, so I figured I'd make the 'normal' version and then just offer to change it to the variable if you're OK with that.

Bladewind
05-08-2014, 04:22 AM
NP, I like giving (AND receiving) Feedback from other (potential) players.

Not sure what you mean by taking it as written, I just looked at what you had and translated it into an affliction power that I thought was fitting.
I'm guessing the summon power profile is one of the power profile PDF's? I haven't read it, but that 'component's vanish' thing sounds (without having actually read anything about it) like it was meant to duplicate the 2e gestalt power with two willing components.

Ditto about feedback - otherwise I wouldn't post builds !

As written... what I meant what that I looked originally at how the DCA books wrote up Jericho and it was very close to what you had suggested - I wasn't looking at the book when I responded, but they did have Jericho with Insubstantial et al.

And yes, the summon profile is one of the PDFs

The_Watchman
05-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Jericho's a tough character to do in a game. Possession can be an extremely powerful ability, seeing as its mind control with the added advantage of Wonder Woman not being able to snap your neck to end the control (without killing the controlled person I mean). But when he isn't a villain, Jericho never seemed very useful as a character

Jemal
05-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Hmm, I actually didn't even know this was a pre-existing character until just now..

Bladewind
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
I tend to agree, Watchman, I don`t actually expect my chances of getting in to be all that great.

And Jemal, that`s almost scary how close you came to the "official" build....

Nillaman
05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
It might also be a mark of good design on the part of Green Ronin. :3

zeone3000
05-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Alright, we're over the hump and looks like everyone who is interested has an app up. Gonna go over them again and make my decisions. Then, check the sheets.

Weyrd
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Still mulling things over?

zeone3000
05-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Been busy with work, friends and girlfriend. I will be free Thursday and will have my decisions in by then.

Weyrd
05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
No rush, we all know how life works :). Was just checking in.

zeone3000
05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Choices are as followed...

Redback
Delphi
Neo-Superboy
Killer Croc
David Cross

The_Watchman
05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to it!

whiteprofit
05-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Cool. Excited for it.

Mr.Sandman
05-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Thank you. Excited for this game.

Jemal
05-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I think you spelled my name wrong...
jk, GLHF everyone.

Weyrd
05-19-2014, 06:17 AM
Sweet, looking forward to this! So I think you said before that you were going to pick the PCs and then we'd go over their sheets. Is that still the case or are the sheets being accepted as is?

The_Watchman
05-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Hmmm...it's been 10 days. Has this fallen by the wayside? Or are character sheets being updated via PM?

zeone3000
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Sorry, been reeeeeaaaal busy lately. This is on pause for the moment but will happen.

whiteprofit
05-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Also busy. But still around.

zeone3000
05-29-2014, 10:17 PM
@The_Watchman

Cost is spot on. One thing, Improved Critical can either count for unarmed or stringers, but not both.

@whiteprofit

Alright, spot on again. Nothing to complain about.

@Mr.Sadman

Good as well.

@Nillaman

Okay, you were off but in your favor. Looks like you missed the 3 skill points for 1 PP house rule. You have 2 more skill points and +4 PP at your disposal.

@Weyrd

You're just a little off...

Abilities
Str: 1 (2)
Sta: 2 (4) 6
Agl: 4 (8) 14
Dex: 0
Fgt: 2 (4) 18
Int: 4 (8) 26
Awe: 2 (4) 30
Pre: 1 (2) 32

Putting it 4pp off.

Parry starts out at 2, equal to FGT, making it 10.

Powers

With Limb Weapons having an attack bonus of +10, its max damage is +10. That makes its max rank 4 with STR 6. Now, does Pentrating 6 mean you want it to have 6 ranks of Pentrating? Or is that 6 there to represent the ranks of Damage?

Movement cost 2 PP/Rank, bringing that up to 4pp.

We shall be starting soon... but not tomorrow or this weekend.

The_Watchman
06-01-2014, 06:35 PM
@The_Watchman

Cost is spot on. One thing, Improved Critical can either count for unarmed or stringers, but not both.

Adjusted accordingly to just be Unarmed.

Nillaman
06-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Added some ranks in Acrobatics to make Croc a consummate athlete, some Insight as he tries to feel out folks to avoid trouble, and some Treatment since he's always had an interest in keeping himself in good working order.

Weyrd
06-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Changes have been made.

Added flaw to morph and moved around skills points. The Penetrating 6 is referring to 6 ranks of penetrating, not damage. Basically he does the same damage as his unarmed attacks, just with a sharper, penetrating "weapon." Let me know if there are any additional changes needed.

zeone3000
06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Alright, you three are good now.

Whiteprofit & Mr.Sandman, if you could just report in so I know you're there, we could start tomorrow.

whiteprofit
06-03-2014, 02:49 PM
reporting

Mr.Sandman
06-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Mr.Sandman, Investigative Journalist, oh wait, wrong kind of reporting.

Slasher
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I have an idea for a law enforcement character with a powersuit. His name is Phantom and his suit gives him several abilities. What I'm thinking right now would be:
Insubstantial(with some extra bits)
A Blast power of some sort
A sensory suite in the suit (Like Terry's gloves with the listening devices)
Flight (maybe)
Visual Invisibility (not sure if all or just normal sight)
A possession-like dart that lets Phantom 'be' the target for a little bit, but he's incapacitated while he controls the other body.
Edit: just finished reading and saw you're no longer recruiting. Darn it.

zeone3000
06-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I should probably change that.

I don't know about you guys but I couldn't access the site last night. Anyway, today is Bday and I'll be busy all weekend. So expect something Monday.

zeone3000
06-05-2014, 02:10 PM
And I have no idea how to...

Nillaman
06-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I got the front page, but all the other links were down. And happy B-Day!