PDA

View Full Version : Descriptors vs Mechanics

Praetorian Guard
09-26-2014, 03:47 AM
Hey gang quick question for all you Think Tankers. Or is it Ronins now?

I have a player who is making a Regenerating Swordsman, a combination of Highlander & Wolverine. As I don't allow Regeneration, it's too labor intensive for keeping track of turn to turn damage conditions, plus every other turn etc etc we built his Regeneration as follows:

Rapid Regeneration & Super Human Stamina
. . Cellular Regeneration: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness)
. . Enhanced Resilience & Regeneration: Immunity 7 (Aging, Critical Hits, Disease, Poison, Uncommon Descriptor: Lasting Injuries, Advantages: Diehard, Great Endurance)
. . Instantaneous Wound Closure: Impervious Toughness 13 (Limited: Slashing, Piercing & Ballistic Damage Only)

For a total of 21 points he has all the effects of Wolverine's regeneration, without the actual Regen. He has 8 Stamina, so in a PL 10 game he is Dodge/Parry 7 & Toughness 13. Making him fairly tough, the descriptor on his protection is that he takes the damage but heals it. Think X2? Or 3? Where the cop shoots him in the head, it knocks him back? or down? And he gets up with the wound already closing. Yeah he just made his toughness check in my opinion.

Anyways, how would Incurable damage interact with the above? Or would I be better off just giving an attack Penetrating (only against Regenerative Effects), or going the Nullify, Weaken route? Just curious what others think.

PhilH
09-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Hey gang quick question for all you Think Tankers. Or is it Ronins now?

I have a player who is making a Regenerating Swordsman, a combination of Highlander & Wolverine. As I don't allow Regeneration, it's too labor intensive for keeping track of turn to turn damage conditions, plus every other turn etc etc we built his Regeneration as follows:

For a total of 21 points he has all the effects of Wolverine's regeneration, without the actual Regen. He has 8 Stamina, so in a PL 10 game he is Dodge/Parry 7 & Toughness 13. Making him fairly tough, the descriptor on his protection is that he takes the damage but heals it. Think X2? Or 3? Where the cop shoots him in the head, it knocks him back? or down? And he gets up with the wound already closing. Yeah he just made his toughness check in my opinion.

Anyways, how would Incurable damage interact with the above? Or would I be better off just giving an attack Penetrating (only against Regenerative Effects), or going the Nullify, Weaken route? Just curious what others think.

As GM its your call, but I don't see this as allowing a player to make a regenerating character but forcing them to make a character who is resistant to damage instead. Its not really just a descriptor change, its altering the whole outcome of what the power does. It's also 21 points when Regeneration costs a fraction of that. Like I say, your game and your rules but as a player I'd be really annoyed at you messing with my concept as much as that.

Regeneration as written doesn't require all that much book-keeping. Have the player throw together a quick chart to track on which rounds the regen kicks in and voila, book keeping done.

badpenny
09-26-2014, 06:40 AM
I do think it's perfectly reasonable to call a successful Toughness check an act of regeneration, just as it would be any other descriptor: bounced off my nose, I deflected it with my bangle, caught it between my teeth, etc

The problem with Regen is that 3e already has an extremely fast recovery system, you have the Recovery action, and Regen is so cheap that it can make someone nigh unstoppable if allowed in high ranks with a high Toughness.

I double the cost of Regen (2pp/rank) and over 5 ranks include it in the PL trade-off, i.e. Defenses+Toughness+1=PLx2. I also use this chart to help keep track of things:

Regeneration 1 (1/every 10 rounds [10])
Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds [5, 10])
Regeneration 3 (3/every 10 rounds [3, 7, 10])
Regeneration 4 (4/every 10 rounds [2, 5, 8, 10])
Regeneration 5 (1/every other round [2, 4, 6, 8, 10])
Regeneration 6 (6/every 10 rounds [2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10)
Regeneration 7 (7/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10])
Regeneration 8 (8/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10])
Regeneration 9 (9/every 10 rounds [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10])
Regeneration 10 (1/every round)

IME, combat rarely lasts more than 5-6 rounds even for big brawls, so it just doesn't come up all that often. You can also look at Healing (Personal) which costs 1pp/rank and requires a Standard action. The player has to choose when to use it--kind of like when Wolverine is dropped to a knee and has to take a few seconds. Some players want to come back from the Incapacitated condition, which I never allow, so if Regen is really not your cup of tea, you could look at personal Healing....

digitalangel
09-26-2014, 08:16 AM
There is a house rule that Moira has used in some games she runs with regen in 3E.

Cost 3/rank.
1 rank every 10 rounds
2 ranks every 5 rounds
3 ranks every 2 rounds
4 ranks every 1 rounds
more than 4 ranks: not allowed

It ups the cost just slightly and puts regen in the double per rank standard the 3E uses for everything else. You could always up it to 4/rank or make it a 10/5/3/2/1 progression instead (either brings the cost closer to what Penny described) if you feel a need to make it more expensive. Tracking regen once every 5-10 rounds can be a pain, but most regen based character will buy it up to once every round or every other round and then tracking it isn't that hard.

2E regen was just a PITA to track, although in some ways it was not as overpowering as 3E (on top of 3E being a faster recovery system to begin with).