PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Abilities

havard
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
If I am reading the rules right Abilities can be increased at the cost of 30 XPs while specializations cost 10XPs. What I have found in our group is that this can easily lead to some abilities being raised to extreme values, while very low abilities are kept low. Has anyone considered changing these rules so that raising an ability from 1 to 2 is less expensive than from 7 to 8?

-Havard

Aedorei
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Min-maxing is not as effective in this game as it is in others. If you max out one stat while ignoring the others it generally leaves huge holes for any competent narrator to horribly exploit.

Also, abilities are capped at 7 so you're not going to see an 8 in anyone's stats unless they have Blood of Heroes, and then only one.

pwbrian
05-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Also, IIRC, raising an ability requires that you have someone of higher ability than you to train you. So, you can't bump an ability up to 7 without someone who has a 7 to train you in it.

vonpenguin
05-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Also, IIRC, raising an ability requires that you have someone of higher ability than you to train you. So, you can't bump an ability up to 7 without someone who has a 7 to train you in it.

You can it just takes longer. A trainer takes 1 week to train you up one rank. Self taught takes 1+1d6/2 weeks.

omegonthesane
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
You can it just takes longer. A trainer takes 1 week to train you up one rank. Self taught takes 1+1d6/2 weeks.

This is theoretically material if the game is played as apparently intended, with a mini-adventure and a House Fortunes roll every month. If that d6 comes up anything but a 2 you're probably going to have to choose between adventuring and gaining skill.

Zorbeltuss
05-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Yes.

When I run SIFRP, I use scaling ability costs (first rank (beyond 2) costs 10, second costs 30, third costs 50 etc..), plus the outright ban on rank 6 (at least for starting characters). Mostly because the system tends to break down when you start waving around 5+ test dices. Though I have redefined the meanings of the ranks compared to the books to accommodate. And only noteworthy NPC's has 5 in anything (other than status).

havard
05-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the responses guys!

-Havard

Jdguy
06-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm getting a game togather, and from what I have read, I plan on making the xp for starting characters the xp for raising attributes. For skills I'm not quite sure but I will create a scaling system, more than likely halving the cost for abilities.