PDA

View Full Version : Out of strife prosperity

vonpenguin
05-01-2014, 12:34 PM
So I just picked this up and read through it. Overall I really like what I am seeing, certain overpowered options like mine, or market+port have been toned down, the new rules for different types of wealth holdings are interesting, and nicely enough often cost other resources as well (a lot of lifestyle holdings cost defense since they are part of the keep, bailiffs cost a small investment of power on top of wealth, etc). Stacking bonuses have been changed so that you now get a random bonus based on range, the downside is there isn't much of a point to boost it beyond 12 or so unless you think the GM is going to use the new saboteurs or a lot of them are seasonal, the upside is it is harder to make your fortune rolls almost risk free. I think the editing could have been slightly more thorough, but it's not unreadable, mostly inconsistent but still pretty clear terminology.

Mostly I am excited to see what they come up with for the other resources, I think they all could use some work and there are some vague signs of things to come in this book.

I do have one question, Kennels mentions that the bonus damage dogs give "is not limited by normal unit damage maximums", this is the first I've heard about units having a damage cap. I can't find it in either my GOT edition or the errata document.

uncleho
05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I also really liked what I read in the PDF concerning the changes and new additions. There are some inconsistent spots as you mentioned but I was able to get the gist of it all.

I do have one question, Kennels mentions that the bonus damage dogs give "is not limited by normal unit damage maximums", this is the first I've heard about units having a damage cap. I can't find it in either my GOT edition or the errata document.

There is a small section on page 179 of my GoT Edition Core Rulebook PDF under Equipment Upgrades that states the limit of increasing AR, Fighting Damage, or Marksmanship Damage once for each component. This is in the Warfare chapter.

vonpenguin
05-02-2014, 01:10 PM
There is a small section on page 179 of my GoT Edition Core Rulebook PDF under Equipment Upgrades that states the limit of increasing AR, Fighting Damage, or Marksmanship Damage once for each component. This is in the Warfare chapter.

Ah, that's it, I didn't even think to link equipment upgrades and the dog damage bonus. Thank you very much.

uncleho
05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
No problem, I had a few minutes to skim the PDF at work so why not?

vonpenguin
05-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Fair enough.

My favorite part is the guidelines to making more holdings to fit your campaign. It's good to at least have a balanced guideline that the designers seem to have at least tried to stick to themselves.

Gurkhal
05-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Been looking around a little for thi PDF but couln'tfind anything. Could some helpful soul perhaps provide a link?

vonpenguin
05-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Been looking around a little for thi PDF but couln'tfind anything. Could some helpful soul perhaps provide a link?

http://greenroninstore.com/products/out-of-strife-prosperity-pdf

There you go.

Gurkhal
05-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks. :)

Harlath
05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
It's up on Drive Thru RPG as well:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/129276/Out-of-Strife-Prosperity

Wontkins
05-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Oh no! This question never got answered in the old forums?!
"Saboteur: what are the effects in case of a success? 1 Resource point lost per degree of success?"
A. Is the Unit/Holding destroyed, or is its construction just temporarily halted?
B. Does the enemy house get its invested resources back or is it all gone?
C. Is if fair for NPC houses to use Saboteurs against PC houses in the same manner?

vonpenguin
05-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Oh no! This question never got answered in the old forums?!
"Saboteur: what are the effects in case of a success? 1 Resource point lost per degree of success?"
A. Is the Unit/Holding destroyed, or is its construction just temporarily halted?
B. Does the enemy house get its invested resources back or is it all gone?
C. Is if fair for NPC houses to use Saboteurs against PC houses in the same manner?

If I had to make rules calls on this in a game:

A: Destroyed, the rules are similar to those for assassins and since you can't "damage" a person the same way you can a building I'd say it is destroyed.
B: I'd say lost the same as if it is destroyed or lost in war.
C: Yes, Though I would make it abundantly clear that that is a possibility early on. And I would also increase difficulties for the NPC house if the players expected a certain holding to be targeted and increased the guard or similar measures.

Canarr
05-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Am I the only one to think that the difficulty ratings for the Assassination Action are too low? DR 12 for a Primary NC, +3 for every 5 points of Law above 30 - how difficult would it really be to have someone with Cunning 5 be in charge of the assassins, and then just kill off one rival lord a month?

coldwind
05-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one to think that the difficulty ratings for the Assassination Action are too low? DR 12 for a Primary NC, +3 for every 5 points of Law above 30 - how difficult would it really be to have someone with Cunning 5 be in charge of the assassins, and then just kill off one rival lord a month?

I don't have the actual PDF, but as I recall from the preview/playtest/discussion stuff on the old forums, there were several holdings that added to that difficult for the sufficiently prepared/paranoid.

rikch
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM
One question: the wealth holding in Chronicle Starter, the Vineyard, has been changed in some way?

uncleho
06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
One question: the wealth holding in Chronicle Starter, the Vineyard, has been changed in some way?

I don't believe that vineyards are included in Out of Strife.

rikch
06-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I don't believe that vineyards are included in Out of Strife.

I finished reading Out of Strife; vineyards are included in Food Agricolture.

uncleho
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
I finished reading Out of Strife; vineyards are included in Food Agricolture.

Yes I see that I missed it being rolled into Food Agriculture. It is a significant change.

Etarnon
10-10-2014, 02:03 AM
I get that with saboteur it's all or nothing, comma, it seems like it is a different matter to sabotage a small tower than to sabotage a 50 defense super castle.

I'm thinking damage to Defense equal to a number of d6 per margin of success in defense points lost. If the defense goes beyond half, then it's been gutted by fire or main walls collapsed, or something, making it worthless for defense purposes or at least downgrades to lesser forms.

Or it's reduced TO the lesser form, on any success. So that the large castle loses some towers, and functions as a lesser castle, etc.

Carriker
10-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Hey, folks. Thanks for touching base on this product. I've got plans to get some errata in there, in particular touching on these very things. :)

XanderS
02-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Okay, I got this supplement and on page 2 in a sidebar for making it work with ASOIAF it says to change Maester to investment 10, however Maester is already investment 10. So I'm wondering if that is a typo.

Droggar
04-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Was looking at the master of arms from this book

Isn't this quite overpowered? it can transform green units into veterans and trained units into elite in one battle...

He can make a house with a horde of green armies into a powerhouse within one skirmish

your thoughts?

orbistertius
06-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Okay, I got this supplement and on page 2 in a sidebar for making it work with ASOIAF it says to change Maester to investment 10, however Maester is already investment 10. So I'm wondering if that is a typo.

As far as I can tell this hasn't been answered in this forum; I'm wondering if there's a good justification to reduce the cost of Maester to 5.

Zorbeltuss
06-20-2015, 05:35 AM
Not compared to other things that also costs 10 in the main book IMO.

Lord Rhys
07-23-2015, 02:33 PM
As far as I can tell this hasn't been answered in this forum; I'm wondering if there's a good justification to reduce the cost of Maester to 5.

As far as I can tell I'd say a Maester cost 5 wealth because of the iconic setting trait on pg 3.

Hugor
07-24-2015, 06:09 AM
A Maester has costs of 15 if you would create him by the rules give for additional holdings add the iconic setting and you get 10 which is the costs given in all books.

I think that this was just an error while editing Out of Strife Prosperity.