PDA

View Full Version : [3e IC] Neotropolis: Nobody Be a Hero! Sun Morning



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Spectrum
09-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Friday night, 8:15 pm

The tall dapper gentleman rose to his full height from the center of the audience, smiling out across the audience, somehow presenting a cool, even comforting demeanor. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am Mister Fix. Please forgive the intrusion on this evening's brilliant treatise from Doctor Primen. In fact, please show your polite appreciation for the wisdom that she has shown so far. I need only a moment of all of your time and then we shall leave you to enjoy the rest of your evenings." with a wink and a grin he stepped down the row and towards the floor of the giant packed auditorium, "In case it needs to be said...

Nobody be a hero! They only complicate matters and get in the way."

The voice was strong, crisp and clear, the voice of a born performer. There was just a tease of an Irish brogue, an accent that made the senses quiver. The audience went from still and enraptured in the discussion from Doctor Primen regarding her latest research to a quiver of excitement, somehow fear being pushed away.

A week ago

Thomas Burge
Puja smiled towards you, one of those heartstoppingly (if you still had one) beautiful smiles, the light bright in her deep brown eyes, "Thomas..." she frowned, pursing her lips, peering more carefully at your breast plate as she tightened some of the rivets, "What are your plans for this coming Friday evening?" It wasn't often that she asks the question with that touch of tension. Usually it means that she's about to ask you to do a favor for her that she suspects that you're going to hate but at the same time hopeful that you might surprise her to the contrary. Well, there was an option to work security for one of the upcoming GoT sessions- decent money against risk ratio, probably going to be a nicely paid chance to relax.


Dexter Lancaster
The semester was already passing by so quickly. You had heard that school was as much about learning to budget time as the actual classes: school, sleep or social, pick 2. The old phrase completely overlooked a rare fourth option- being a superhero. The schedule on the bulletin board before you shed light on an uncomfortable truth, you were running out of time to attend your required GoT sessions. The scheduling could be better, a Friday night, really? Nothing was scheduled yet at least though Danielle had made another set of teasing remarks about a certain red dress.


Grant Summers
'Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?' the ringtone that Chris set for himself on your phone went off right as you were leaving your car, your arms full for your next delivery- the less said about what's in there the better. Chances are that he's probably calling about the game this upcoming Friday- the NIT Technovores playing a home game against the.. eh, it doesn't really matter, at least its fun to watch them struggle even if they end up usually on the loosing side.


Emma Lasher
Ariel giggled brightly as she threw herself into her bed. It's good to see her so alive and glowing. The last time you saw her like that was when she was testing out her pogo assisted carbon fiber nanotube crutches.. and the less said about that the better. Still brings a wince when you think about it. "Emma, I just heard the most exciting thing! Doctor Primen is going to be giving the next GoT! I am soo going to go! You're gonna come along too, right?" Oh yeah, the CompSci that Ariel bubbles about from time to time, some kind of odd hero worship thing there- STEM rolemodel and all that.

Jiao-long
Doctor Primen paused, looking carefully at the powder that you have placed before her. Her words carefully considered as she replied back in Cantonese, "So this is really will really help with my... friend's problem? You must have gone through extraordinary efforts in order to find it?" She paused, lowering her hand before the tremor got even worse.


Kate Ory
The only way to keep eating, and housed and.. too many things is to keep writing. At least living in Neotropolis, you get a steady diet of items for articles. One upcoming event has caught your eye, an upcoming GoT with Doctor Primen as the key speaker. She's been someone on your radar for a while now. The woman is a brilliant computer scientist, with several significant accomplishments already and this should be another big one if you can get tickets in time. From the sounds of it, while the speech isn't going to be one of those directly huge developments, it's a key missing part that will push other projects (with some murky potential implications) much closer to completion. If that doesn't sell, Girls in STEM is hot topic right now.


...and let the fun begin! Please pick up from your character intros (a week ago) rather than the prelude.

kenmadragon
09-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: Time is hard to come by.

Dexter stared long and hard at the bulletin on the laptop in front of him. Ah, the problems of leading a double-life. Not that he had any real choice in the matter - weirdness kept him from merging the two by coming out with his powers. At least with his ability to fly he didn't miss classes all that much. But still, he had trouble being out on patrol and actually getting time to study. That calculus test had given him a rude awakening - Dexter needed to study, or he'd be in hot water with his parents.

Which sucks, because having genius parents is a big responsiblity when you aren't exactly a genius. Sure, Dexter was reasonably intelligent. He managed well enough. But he wasn't as skilled as his parents were, or as skilled as his parents liked. Sighing, he clicked the button that signed him up for one of the few seats at the GoT session that Friday. Dexter could deal with studying to keep his grades up - but he'd fail a class if he didn't attend a few of those GoT sessions. That was something the young man could not afford. Forget being nigh-invulnerable, Mom would kill him!

Stretching his arms, Dexter yawned. It was only 4 in the afternoon, and he was already yawning. You're not supposed to be tired at 4 in the afternoon. Stupid college courses. Tilting his chair back to recline, Dexter stared at the ceiling as he wondered what he'd do with his time. That girl from class was surprisingly persuasive. Or at least, very suggestive. Dexter couldn't make much sense of it. He wasn't all that good looking. Rather average actually. But this Danielle girl seemed to actually be interested in him. Who knew what was up with that.

Michael'd probably know more about that stuff. Dexter wasn't all to knowledgeable in the ways of women, and Priscilla had given him some words of advice regarding that whenever she visited his and Michael's dorm room in the res-hall. Mostly they consisted of the revelations that girls play mean and compete with each other through social and sometimes psychological warfare, and that girls always had some manner of agenda to them which was kept veiled. So who knew what Danielle really wanted. A girl being interested in The Samaritan made sense - The Samaritan identity was a Super-Hero. Dexter was... Dexter.

Michael cleared his throat a few hours later, mumbling something about getting dinner as he got up from his own desk, swinging the dorm room door open. Nodded, Dexter resolved to get something to eat once he was done with that nasty Chemistry reading. He knew that if he read it a few times, he could remember it. He wasn't sure if that was part of his powers or being his parent's son, but it helped sometimes. When he was done, Dexter tucked his chair into the desk and locked up as he headed out. Kevin was out when he left, but Danielle seemed to catch him just as he left the dining court near the dorm.

After walking with her back to the dorm, Dexter managed to make enough small talk to escape her company for the roof. The sun was setting on Neotropolis, and Dexter knew that he should at least try to squeeze in a few hours of roaming the city for crime to stop before he turned in for the night. Changing quickly as he pulled off his glasses and unbuttoned his shirt, Dexter stepped off the rooftop, foot planted solidly on thin air as he glided up into the air, The Samaritan ever vigilant.

Weyrd
09-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Grant unceremoniously dumped his latest delivery into the basket of the scooter Quan had provided him for deliveries. He wasn't worried about the contents of the delivery, it was safely packaged in a shell of fake Chinese food containers (with some real ones on top...for good measure.) If anything he should be worried about the scooter. That thing was a piece of crap, barely managing to break 35mph. Grant had a suspicion that whenever something broke on it, Quan would fix it with some re-purposed kitchen instrument. Of course it got the job done most days and in a pinch Grant could always find a dark alley to change and cover a vast amount of ground as Hardlight.

Answer his phone he says, "Remind me why I let you choose your own ringtone? You have an uncanny knack for calling when some cute chick is walking by and I instantly lose all credibility. Anyway, what's up? If you're wanting some egg rolls, I told you last time that you really got to start calling the restaurant to place your orders. Quan refuses to believe it's for you and I always get charged for it." Grant leans against the "No Parking" sign that the scooter is parked next to as he waits for Chris to respond. He's got time, plus it can be hard to here over the scooter's motor.

IronEden
09-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Shrike
HP: 1, Condition: Freshly repaired

Thomas breathed a sigh of relief, earning a scowl from Puja as his chestplate moved. "Is that all?" he asked. "You had me worried for a second, like there was something serious." He thought about it for a while, looking at their reflection in the bay window. There was something meditative about getting put back together, and he imagined it gave him the same peace that other people felt when at a massage. "Sure, I'll take the job. Even if it sounds dangerously like real employment."

Puja thumped him as she tightened the last piece, and Thomas could feel the metal quiver in his guts. "At this rate, "she said, "you're going to have to get a real job if you want to keep living here." She was referring, of course, to Thomas' stately apartment. It was tastefully painted, with high ceilings and good lighting, but it was barely furnished, and the two young people looked badly dwarfed in the stark space. "How much does this place even cost you?"

Thomas shrugged a little. "You know. Some thousands. I figured I had the money after the last job, so I might as well try not living in a motel for a little while." Thomas' eyes twitched as he looked into the infrared, and the apartment came back to him in a sterile blue. "Who knows if I'll even stay. I'm starting to miss the free breakfast already."
"I should hope so," said Puja. "You can't cook for shit."

Thomas laughed and pulled his shirt back on. He could barely feel the fabric over his body any more. "You're right. I'll see if I can't afford a cook or something. In the meantime, I figure that in exchange for the tip I ought to inform you of the three bottles of wine I have stashed in the kitchen. And of my new television, and of-" here, he paused for dramatic effect. "My new copy of Super Smash Brothers 6!"

Puja smirked. "I'm going to have to build you a new liver, aren't I?"

"You're the one who built a wine-key into my palm!"

Thomas disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a bottle spilling over with mist, and the night disappeared into a blur.

Batgirl III
09-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

"Doctor Primen?" Emma asked, her chin resting lightly on Ariel's shoulder to peak at her tablet's screen, "That the bloke from the 'we got a badass over here' thing on the internet?"

Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

"That's Neil deGrasse Tyson, you twit." Emma said with a sigh, punching in her credit cars number from memory to reserve a pair of seats, "He's an astrophysicist, the is Dr. Primen..."

"Time travel guy in a blue box?"

Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa.

"That's Doctor Who! Are you going to take any of this seriously or– GAH!" Ariel had slammed the tablet down on the sofa beside her and turned to look at Emma directly. Emma's head was resting playfully on the back of the couch, teasing her, but Emma's body was on the opposite side of the loft working out on the speed bag by the open French doors into the balcony. "I hate it when you do that!"

Thumpa-thumpa-thmmmmm.

"Oh, dammit, sorry!"her head a apes back in a flash, let an arrow loses from a taunt bow. She stepped past the still swinging bag, slid the door closed, and picked up her Gatorade as she walked back to the sofa, "Keep forgetting how paranoid you are about the AC bill. Anyhow... This is the gorilla guy from that '70s Saturday morning cartoon of yours?"

"That was Doctor Simian," she said, "And don't start in on Freedom Friends or I'll throw away your Darkwing DVDs. I swear."

"Okay... I'll go see the guy talk. But you owe me one."

CaptainChaos
09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Celestial

Kate had just finished submitting a short article for CNET when the new email notification icon popped up.

"This better not be another spam for Canadien pharmacueticals .
she muttered to herself as she clicked open her email.

What she read was rather surprising. A friend of hers at Wired magazine had emailed her about some upcoming GoT talks at the university. While normally that would be interesting enough, the email mentioned that the Dr. Primen was a key speaker! Kate had been trying to get an interview with her for years now. This was her big chance. If she could get an interview with Dr. Primen, that could score her some big bucks.

Kate quickly pulled the website in her favorites folder and logged on. Seconds later she was entering her Amex card number in to secure a ticket. Hopefully Celestial wouldn't be needed that evening.

Elated she had been able to get a ticket, she decided to celebrate. Grabbing her cell phone, she pressed the speed dial number for the Golden Phoenix. She ordered some sweet and sour chicken and vegetable fried rice. After ending the call, she hoped her favorite delivery man showed up. He was cute and looked like he was close to her age. All too often, she had old guys or college kids hitting on her.

While she waited for her food, she changed into some workout clothes and did some yoga.

Praetorian Guard
09-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


"So this is really will really help with my... friend's problem? You must have gone through extraordinary efforts in order to find it?" She paused, lowering her hand before the tremor got even worse.

Jiao-long took in the doctor's trembling hand, and looked at her with sadness in his eyes. He nodded towards the kitchen, "Would you be so kind as to fetch me a cup of tea while I prepare the ointment for you Doctor Primen?" The young man leaned over and rummaged through his satchel, removing several jars, and packages wrapped in twine and wax paper. As he opened the jars, the smell of camphor and mint began to permeate the table at which he sat. He watched Doctor Primen prepare the tea, pouring the water with some difficulty into a small china cup set on a saucer. He felt almost remorseful for asking his host to prepare him tea, when it was obvious from her movements that she struggled to keep her hands steady.

As she walked back towards the small table, the small cup rattled dangerously on the plate. With the reflexes and grace of a cat, Jiao-long covered the distance to the silver haired doctor with ease, taking the cup from her hand and holding it with his own. He wrapped her own hand through his elbow as he led her back to the table. As he took a seat he set the saucer down. "Now Doctor Primen, as an educated and intelligent woman, I am sure you have informed your 'friend'," he raised his eyebrow slightly as emphasis, "that we can continue to treat their symptoms, with perhaps problematic results to their long term health. Or we can be honest with one another and perhaps treat the root of the problem." He leaned forward as he paused, "Though the harder road, it would result in a more positive result in the long term. Continued use of the ointments, coupled with the ginger tea I have brought will result in relief from joint pain, as well as a reduction in the trembling of ones nerves. A program of ginseng, and lotus blossom extract coupled with Uncle Wei's tai chi would result in strengthened joints, and ligaments, restored energy and vigor. Please Doctor Primen, take your time, think on what we've talked about tonight, but we need to choose a path soon."

Jiao-long began to pack up his poltices, and packages, leaving the extract and salves for Ms. Primen. As she reached for her purse Jiao-long looked almost embarassed. "Really ma'am there is no need, I had these extracts, and the tea already made, it was no effort really." She quickly flashed the young man a look that could have cowed even Uncle Wei. "Really young man, I must insist." Jiao-long thought about it, and suddenly a thought came to him. "I heard that you will be speaking at the Glimpse of Tomorrow talks?", she looked at him, her role as teacher, instructor seemed to light a fire in her. "Yes?" she replied curiously. "Well, perhaps, you. If so inclined. Could ensure that a seat was saved for one. Ms. Ariel Dukes for the seminar." The young man, full of grace and speed a moment ago seemed almost clumsy in comparison. "I saw a textbook you had written in her apartment, Visual and Contextual Perception in the Development of Facial Recognition Software. I think that she would enjoy your seminar very much." He paused as the Doctor considered his words.


OOC: After reading your post in the OOC thread I kind of ran with the scene, then after it was done I realized I had kind of jumped into making the NPC react to Jiao's ideas. If this needs to be edited let me know. Sorry!

Spectrum
09-18-2014, 05:03 PM
E-Girl

Ariel quips back, ".. and Doctor Primen isn't a guy, she's a woman and has made remarkable discoveries in the field of computer science, regardless of her gender!" It's been a bit of a sore point in the past with Ariel, the field being such a boy's club, but like most things she just sets her chin and works harder to get things done. "Anyway.." she rises shakily up to her feet and frowns thoughtfully as she looks out onto the balcony, "I think that your boyfriend is here" as a human shaped shadow passes by. What is Samaritan doing around here? In your neighborhood?

Samaritan

It's been a quiet night so far but presence is also a significant deterrent. You've taken a turn into one of the nicer areas of downtown, mostly nice lofts, upper middle class- a few students and young professionals that haven't made it yet. It takes a moment to perk back up from the monotony- street light, street light, street light, pitch darkness, street light... Down in the murky darkness you can just barely make out a man and a woman, walking together on the side walk, between , arms full of groceries, lost in being in love. Even harder to notice and you're not even making out the details, something around them is starting to move in towards them.

Spectrum
09-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Hardlight

Chris grins audibly into the phone. "You've got game, really? Heh, maybe it's that little scooter you ride around in that scares off the cute girls." The grin grows even further, "I've got good news and some not so great news. Florres and her wife just had their first kid and the guys on the force have decided to give the two proud mamas some quality time with their new daughter." Good for them, Florres has done some good work for the team and has always had a friendly smile and a decent tip (for a cop's salary) for you when you deliver. That and the poor girl's completely head over heels in love with Jenny. No chance at all for her now.

"Anyway, I'm going to have to cancel on you for Friday night. I'm taking the GoT session but chances are I'll be seeing you there. You're doing the catering, right?" Not that you'd heard of, but Quan also isn't known for sharing everything with you. If past experience is any indication, it's a mark of pride from the other restaurants that have done it in the past- and a lot more work for everyone involved.

Spectrum
09-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Celestial


Moving back in time just a little. You threw some fun pitches and I'd like to run from them. Sorry!

Getting the tickets is turning out to be more difficult than expected. Journalist tickets are sold out. A certain number of tickets are reserved for students and they're not completely out.. yet but they're pretty difficult to get if you're not a student. You know some people who know some people but that'll take some time and calling people at the right times.

Instead, your stomach is gurgling and demanding food now.

A young, giggly, bright voice (Mia) answers the phone, "Golden Phoenix, hold please.." *click* *hold music* *click* "Oh hi Kate! How are you doing tonight? Let's see.. sweet and sour chicken and vegetable fried rice tonight? Or would you like something special?" Oh, that's always awkward, when you order from the same delivery place often enough that they know your name and your usual order too.. nice touch though.

It's just about at that moment that a few things click into place. It'll take some research though to see if it actually proves out. The idea of augmented reality personal advertising has been jostling around for the last few years but it had never quite clicked, various technical aspects kept getting into the way. When the topic started to pick up, the personal freedom and privacy nutjobs starting crawling out of the holes too. Dr Primen's presentation tomorrow night is the kind of thing to push the concept much closer to being a marketable reality. On one hand, a personal shopping experienced catered to every individual to make them happier customers. On the other hand, tightly directed marketing campaigns that the average person couldn't possibly be wary enough to defend against. Of course, that's just the paranoid nutjobs talking, right?

Spectrum
09-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Jiao-long


I don't mind at all, you threw me some very good curves to play with.

Please Doctor Primen, take your time, think on what we've talked about tonight, but we need to choose a path soon."

Dr Primen carefully cleared her throat, gazing respectfully into your eyes for a moment, to emphasize the seriousness of the situation, "I'm sure that you appreciate that this situation requires a certain delicacy. The cold rationality of Western medicine has so far been unsuccessful. It is very hopeful that the ancient wisdom of Chinese medicine may shed the necessary light into the situation. I shall be very appreciative if your results are successful." A look of recognition flashed in her eyes a moment as she thoughtfully looks over your face before being most carefully concealed.


I want to verify something before pushing forward on this.. did you mean Ariel Dukes, E-Girl's housemate? Or someone else?


The young man, full of grace and speed a moment ago seemed almost clumsy in comparison. "I saw a textbook you had written in her apartment, Visual and Contextual Perception in the Development of Facial Recognition Software. I think that she would enjoy your seminar very much." He paused as the Doctor considered his words.

Dr. Primen carefully steepled her fingers for a brief second before reaching to draw out her phone, taking a long moment to work through the interface. "Ariel Dukes? Yes, I recognize that name, a brilliant young woman with a strong future before her. She approached me the other day to discuss a subtle point in a study from years ago." she shakes her head, "Only one ticket Mr. Han? If you show such favor towards a friend, wouldn't you wish to join her? Or should the ticket be delivered with discretion?"

Spectrum
09-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Shrike

As you start to go through your notes, it's starting to become more clear why referrals have been your friend so far. Good word has spread well so far but generating new revenue streams is much more difficult.

The security gig at the GoT hasn't been confirmed yet. You know a few people that would be willing to start that process but each of them have their own strengths and weaknesses and just what you're willing to do in terms of side jobs connected with it. In most cases, it would be coming to them from a weakened negotiating position unless you could bring something more to the table.

The summary of the discussion is freely available from the NIT website. Honestly, it doesn't make much sense. You've tried a few times and your optic receptors get crossed after a while and you loose focus. Really brainy stuff. Puja might be able to explain it a more if you can get a hold of her. That can be difficult at times, which is one of the reasons that last night was so special. Karlamov might be able to explain it but chances are there would be costs attached- the guy is a useful scumball at best. Even more risky would be trying to get a hold of Babel- high risk for high reward. Finally, you might be able to guy the information from somewhere, gotta spend money to make money right?

On the employment side of things, the most obvious choices are approaching the NiT or the NPD. They tend to work very closely together but hire freelancers from time to time if they're expecting trouble. So far, you haven't heard them say anything but that could mean that they're not expecting anything or that you're not in the right loop on this one. It's likely that if the police aren't interested, the criminal element isn't either- unless something is planned that they don't want anyone to hear about.

So many questions, so little time gumshoe. What's it gonna be?

Weyrd
09-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

"Hmmm, let me think about this. Waiting hand and foot on a bunch of high-minded intellectuals and self-important college kids...I think I'll pass. Quan hasn't tried to rope me into it yet and I still have a week to figure out a way to weasel my way out it, so don't count on me helping with the catering," Grant responds.

"Is that so," says Quan, who is standing directly behind Grant. Grant jumps and exclaims out in surprise. He hadn't heard Quan approach at all, of course that was normal. There was actually a pool going with the employees of the Golden Phoenix that Quan was some kind of super ninja. No one ever heard him coming and he could hit you upside the head with a dumpling hard enough to see stars from across the restaurant. "Maybe I'll save you the trouble and just fire you, since you seem to be finding ways not to work right now as well," Quan continued while shoving another bag for delivery into his hands. Grant could tell by the weight though that this was simply Chinese food, not a "special" package. "Go! Before orders back up even more!" Quan shouts before walking away, muttering in Cantonese. Grant recognized several phrases that Quan always seemed to mutter around him. He'd tried to have Jiao-long translate them once, but had been told that the translations weren't appropriate for "polite society."

Grant put the phone back up to his ear to hear Chris laughing hysterically. "Oh, just shut up. Tell the new mothers congrats for me. Later." Hanging up the phone Grant checks the address on the new delivery and puts it in the basket with the other one. He then shuts the lid and locks it. This was the one part of the scooter that Quan actually made sure worked correctly, given the sensitive and often valuable nature of some of his deliveries. Starting up the scooter with a bang and a puff of smoke, he heads off on his deliveries. He'd deliver the food first, since that could actually get cold, and then he'd probably "Hardlight-it" over near the address for the special delivery to make up time.

IronEden
09-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Shrike
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

Thomas pinched the bridge of his nose as he failed, once more, to find anything of criminal interest in Dr. Primen's presentation. It seemed perfectly benign, some kind of catered recognition software, something about marketing, maybe, and yet NiT was looking for freelance security detail. He sighed. The chances of him making the cut for a security gig were good even without any advanced leads, but being mere hired muscle wasn't exactly Shrike's thing. He wanted to show up with a plan.

He took a break to make himself some coffee, trying to shake off the last echoes of last evening's resultant hangover, and then sat down and got to work. First off he sent his resume out to NIT's security manager. It was pretty straight forward to list his credentials as a freelancer with NPD history, but he still felt like he needed an edge over the patrolling guns, and so he added something to his proposal:

"...Aware of the sensitive nature of the on-site equipment, I'm also willing to conduct a periphery investigation to identify and eliminate prospective threats before the event occurs to help maximize the safety of the speakers and the participants. I am licensed with the NPD and..."

He didn't, of course, know anything special about the presentation, but that wasn't something that the manager needed to know right now. What mattered was getting in the door, and getting an excuse to do some legwork outside of patrolling a university. He wondered what kind of money a rent-a-cop even made, and he shuddered after doing a little bit of math. No, security alone wasn't going to cut it. What he needed right now was a bounty, and he was sure that this job would bring him close to one, if he could just figure out how. He stalked the empty floor of his apartment for a while, racking his brains for who in the world would be interested in "facial recognition" and "contextual perception." Ogress? No. Dr. Sing? No. Karlamov was a slimy piece of work, but he wouldn't threaten his own university. It was no use.

Finally he sat back down in front his computer, and he was glad that the inhibited circulation in his face hid what would have been a blush. He ran an IP masker and logged onto the internet with an anonymous VPN. Soon he was at a small, private Forum called The Badlands, where he made a public post with the fake handle, "Oneironaut."

"Too many people talking in too many languages that I don't understand. Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered with no glimpse of tomorrow."


He hoped the biblical reference would be the bait that he needed. Babel always had an ego. He wasn't somebody that Thomas wanted to deal with, especially now that he'd gotten out of prison, but when it came to weaponizing technology, Thomas could think of no-one better. He just hoped that he could keep the price low, and his identity secret.




OOC: Switched to purple since Jiao is also green.

kenmadragon
09-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Samaritan

The Samaritan sighed as he glided through the gentle skies. Evenings were nice, and especially around sunset. The nice-ness seemed to stick around for an hour or so after the sun went down, by which time it was darker and colder. Granted, the Samaritan didn't really feel the cold much. Heck, it was part of the reason why he was comfortable up in the air - where they would be inhospitable to most people, the altitude and chill didn't bother him. Or rather, perhaps it was also a fear of heights and falling that most people suffered from.

But the Samaritan didn't fall. He merely glided along, watching, keeping guard of the area. It was mostly boring. Granted, the first few patrols had been action packed, but word spreads quickly somehow, and people began to know that the sight of the man with the "S" was merely amused by their little pistols and bullets, that wooden bats shattered against his skin, and that the hero could send a grown man flying with a flick of his finger. When he showed up, the regular criminals knew that they didn't really have much of a shot. Super-criminals on the other hand, were the bigger problem - and the ones Samaritan was most worried about.

It was weird though, that one street light that was out. Drawing his interest, Samaritan slowed his glide, hovering in mid-air as he simply watched, a bad feeling coming over him. It was this strange tingle down the back of his spine, telling him that something about the situation didn't make sense. The Samaritan knew that this wasn't any new superpower (he was always worried about developing new abilities that he'd have to get under control) but something inherent to every human - instinct. Though humanity's sensitivity and reliance upon this insight had dulled over the years - to near nonexistence in many - it was still around. Instinct still worked, and it was kicking in right now, telling the hero that something was moving in those shadows.

For a moment, Samaritan only noted the man and woman, sighing with relief that it wasn't anything overtly sinister. But with a few more moments of observation, he noted how close they were, how very much in love they were. Instinct and insight - ancient "powers" as can be. Samaritan gave a sad sigh. How he envied them - to be in love. Then again, most single men envied those who were in love - and were loved back. But there was still something wrong... he couldn't put his finger on it. Wait... were those shadows moving? No trick of the light, surely, he felt like something was moving towards the couple...

Best be on the safe side, Samaritan knew, as he glided in softly to take a closer look.

CaptainChaos
09-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Celestial

Kate was on her yoga mat doing a tree pose when her email chimed. She as tempted to not check it but since it could be a job, she reluctantly put both feet on the floor and softly padded over the her laptop. Upon clicking open her email, she noticed a message from the University.

Her heart sank when she read the oh so polite notification.

"Due to overwhelming demand and limited seating availability, tickets to the GoT event are sold out. Your name will be added to the waiting list in the event tickets become available. We appreciate your interest in this prestigious event. Please check our site for other upcoming events."

Kate stood there in stunned silence for several seconds. What was she going to do now? She really needed to be there for the talk. The chance to interview Dr. Primen was a rare, once in a lifetime event.

She quickly fired off a couple of emails to some editors and colleagues in the hope that one of them might be able to secure a ticket for her.

After another minute or so, she picked up the phone and dialed the cell number of Dr. Sing. He was the CEO of a major corporation here in Neotropolis and surely he would have the connections to get her into the talk.

Praetorian Guard
09-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


"Ariel Dukes? Yes, I recognize that name, a brilliant young woman with a strong future before her. She approached me the other day to discuss a subtle point in a study from years ago." she shakes her head, "Only one ticket Mr. Han? If you show such favor towards a friend, wouldn't you wish to join her? Or should the ticket be delivered with discretion?"

Jiao-long, suddenly unable to keep his gaze on the woman fidgeted with his jars and concoctions, "It is a favor for a," a pause similar to the good Doctor's earlier deflection about her ailment, "... friend. She seems an intelligent woman, and would benefit from attendance at your seminar. I feel it would hold significant value for her." As he talked of Ariel, there was a sudden clatter as the small packages he was placing in his satchel spilled over the floor. Clearly visible to the keen eyed doctor, admission papers for Neotropolis Institute of Science & Technology. He looked up furtively to determine whether the Doctor had seen the papers, as he swept up his packages quickly stuffing them back into his medical satchel. "I would very much appreciate your discretion in the matter with your seminar, perhaps an academic reward for her? And remember, we need to come to a decision ..."

Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Bzzzt!

".. in regards to your treatment." Jiao-long quickly produced an old Nokia flip phone from his jacket and answered it. "Yes. Yes, just wrapping up a delivery. I will be there as soon as I can." He flipped the phone closed and looked at the Doctor and bowed apologetically, "My apologies about that Ms. Primen, but an emergency has taken place and requires my attention. Good evening to you Ms. Primen, and I will speak with you soon. If you can assist Ariel with the seminar that would be appreciated, though not required." And with a congenial wave, "Good night."

And with that he exited through the kitchen door, and quickly sprinted to the front of the building to his beat up Flying Pigeon bicycle and began pedalling away back towards the Golden Phoenix and his rooftop garden.

Spectrum
09-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Shrike

The answer comes quicker than expected, much too quickly. Enigmatic in tone and completely untraceable (no sender, time stamp, etc.)

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.

The message comes through again..
and again..
and again..
and again..
and again..
and again..
soon threatening to overflow your mailbox.

IronEden
09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Thomas sighed. He should have known better than to expect a straightforward transaction with someone like Babel, but playing along was the only way he was going to get anywhere, assuming that he wasn't just being fed nonsense. He typed out a brusque reply:

"Then maybe you ought to be reading a diary. Where is it?"

Maybe he was missing the mark. Probably, even, but he couldn't imagine Babel giving out hints for free, so he had to imagine this was part of a job: clearing records, maybe. Something like that. Of course there was always the possibility that he'd been talking about Thomas instead. Could the technology being unveiled have something to do with what he already knew? Did he choose Orwell on purpose? Thomas was ready to hit something, he had so many questions, but he decided that he didn't need to damage his apartment today, and so he threw on his jacket, grabbed his gun, and strolled down to the Golden Phoenix to balm his frustrations with salt and grease. He'd keep an eye on his inbox with his phone, and in the meantime hope that somebody more coherent could tell him what he wanted to know.

Spectrum
09-21-2014, 02:37 PM
The Golden Phoenix
Lunch hour

The crowd during lunch is as busy as usual. There is usually a little bit of a wait at the door, but people are actually packed in the lobby and soon are even walking away. Looking for the usual waitstaff, about half of them are missing. Mostly guys, a few waiters, a few busmen.

Mia is working the front, smiling to people and trying to keep everything together but her eyes keep glancing to the clock, nerves fraying more.

<<Jiao-long. Thank goodness you're here. Big trouble, get changed and get back asap, okay?>>

"Hi, welcome to Golden Phoenix. Party of four. I'm sorry, there's about an hour wait at this time. Can I please get your name??"

She gets a dirty look in return, "No thank you. We might come back next week."

Spectrum
09-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Samaritan (and E-Girl?)


Hopefully, Batgirl III will join us again soon.

Samaritan, as you get closer to the couple, the details of the group moving in closer start to resolve out. Five? Six? children carrying something (handguns?) in hoodies up over their heads. A peek of bright black eyes, a flash of silver.. fur? At the edges of perception, something on top of one of the brownstones is moving, overlooking the situation.

Praetorian Guard
09-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.



<<Jiao-long. Thank goodness you're here. Big trouble, get changed and get back asap, okay?>>

Jiao, shocked at the disarrayed look on Mia's normally confident face simply responded with a "Right away," in his native Cantonese before running up the stairs in the back to his apartment. As he quickly unlocked the door, he deposited the medicine satchel with the herbs, ointments, and his admissions paper on the desk. He flipped out his phone and gave Grant a quick call in the hopes of getting him back in time to help with the lunch rush. Getting no answer he assumed Summers was on his scooter he left him a quick voice mail. "Hello Grant. It's Jiao, half the staff decided not to show up for Friday lunch rush so if you have time between deliveries we could use you." He pulled out his uniform, black slacks, white shirt, black vest he fumbled for a moment with the clip on bow tie as he pulled his door shut behind him, lept down the stairs and rushed back towards the greeting area.

He noticed immediately that, while not normally rushed for a Friday lunch, the Golden Phoenix was packed due to excessive wait times. The kitchen sounded almost empty compared to the normal cacophony of sounds, and smells, wafting through those swinging doors. As he got to the front and saw Mia dealing with the rush, he noticed some guests leaving due to the excessive delays. Uncle Wei would not be pleased. He caught Mia's eye as he mouthed a silent, 'Where is everyone?!?'

As he scanned the crowd, he noticed a bulk of a man. He recognized him, they had originally met in unfavorable circumstances, in the mercenary circles he was called Shrike. Jiao was glad that he had been wearing his heroic costume and mask during that confrontation, his waiter outfit was a far cry from his identity as the Dragon's Breath. He approached the large man, "Ahhh, Mr. Burge, I do apologize for the delay. We would be remiss though if we did not find seating for Mr. Wei's most esteemed associate."

With that, the young asian man directed the large man to a table towards the rear of the dining area.

IronEden
09-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Thomas gave the waiter a toothy grin, and he briefly marveled at the man's impeccable physique. Clearly Quan Wei was a man who knew how to select the right staff for his operation, and the presence of such professionalism was a much needed relief to Thomas' recent frustration.

"Busy day, isn't it? Must be all the academics flying in lately. NIT's got its big show coming up, and I bet it's going to be packed." He took a seat where Jiao had led him, and looked around at the other patrons of the Golden Phoenix's reserved accommodations. He was scanning for faces that he might recognize, faces that might be useful. "I'll start with a Coke. Don't worry about my food until things calm down up front, but let me know if there's anybody I need to see around here. I'm looking for some information on that show, and right now I'm willing to pay for it."

Thomas' vision slipped in and out of the infrared as he spoke. It was then that he noticed the lack of activity in the kitchen itself.

"And naturally," he added. "My services are at Quan Wei's disposal."

Weyrd
09-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

At Night:

Hardlight pulled up to Kate's apartment building. Checking his reflection in a nearby window he messed up his hair some more for good measure and flashed himself a roguish smile. Then stepping up to the intercom he buzzed Kate's apartment. "Special delivery from the Golden Pheonix," he said in a voice so purposefully dripping with innuendo it was comical. He liked to start things off with a laugh.

Lunch Rush:

Grant groaned and rolled over as his phone buzzed. The events of last night, both delivering Kate's food and Quan's special package, had kept him out pretty late. He'd been so tired he'd just crashed on the futon of his hole-in-the-wall apartment. The slight crick in his back was the consequence of not making it to the bed. Blearily looking at his phone he could see it was a message from Jiao.


"Hello Grant. It's Jiao, half the staff decided not to show up for Friday lunch rush so if you have time between deliveries we could use you."

If Mia had called in Jiao, things must be pretty crazy at the restaurant. Grant found it strange that Mia hadn't texted him first, being an actual full-time employee, but then he saw the 7 missed text messages from Mia. They progressed from politely asking for help to demanding that he get his ass out of bed and down to the restaurant (once she deduced why he wasn't answering.) Grant lazily stretched to work out his kinks, took about a 10 second shower, and then grabbed some room temperature Chinese food (leftover from the "camouflage" of Quan's special package last night) as he headed out the door.

Traffic would be crazy this time of day so he decided to go up to the roof, donning the disguise of Hardlight, to fly to the restaurant. The wind rushing past him felt very refreshing, helping to purge the last remnants of drowsiness from his system. Once he reach the Golden Pheonix, he swoop down low over the roof, quickly coming to a stop behind one of the massive AC units. At the same time he sent a hologram of himself as Hardlight racing of in the distance so if anyone had been watching him it would look as if Hardlight had just "buzzed" the building. Once far enough away he made the hologram disappear. Anyone still watching would just think Hardlight had gone invisible. Granted, he couldn't actually do that, but there is no way anyone else should know that.

Sliding down the fire escape he pluck a small flower from a planter out side the restaurant and heads inside. Mia spots him immediately and gives him the evil eye, "Wow, we are packed aren't we? And look at you, keeping everything going almost single handedly. I've always said, Quan may own the place, but you keep it running. You are just amazing, don't ever change," Grant says while simultaneously place the flower in Mia's hair, grabbing a half apron from behind the hostess stand (he kept a stash of them all over the place), and giving her a friendly wink as he quickly moves on to the dining room to bus some tables, not giving her time to get a word in edge-wise.

He spies Jiao by a table in the back talking with one of their regular. Grant believed his name was Thomas, although Grant usually referred to him as "Tin-man" (never within ear shot though.) He gives Jiao a nod when they make eye contact. He was good kid for helping out, though perhaps a little too nice for his own good. Kid seemed to do all right with those medicinal herbs of his. Grant doubted he needed the few hours of less than minimum wage pay and free food he got when he helped out.

Spectrum
09-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Golden Phoenix

For those in the known, its easy to tell just who is missing from the work shift today- not just most of the young men, but the men most involved in the Jade Falcons. In fact, the closer they are Kim-ja, the more likely they are to be gone.

Quan Wei storms towards the front desk, a snarl in his throat and a curt very rude gesture towards Mia as he brushes her out of the way. Quan doesn't work the front desk, he never works the front desk. He doesn't have the temperament for it, he knows it, everybody knows it. He just doesn't belong there.

Now he's there. Mia is running towards the back, quickly slipping into an apron so that she can start waiting tables. It's something that she used to it, she was good at it, but she's overall more valuable at the front. She's proven it again and again that she can handle it when the shan hits the fit.

Spectrum
09-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Sliding down the fire escape he pluck a small flower from a planter out side the restaurant and heads inside. Mia spots him immediately and gives him the evil eye, "Wow, we are packed aren't we? And look at you, keeping everything going almost single handedly. I've always said, Quan may own the place, but you keep it running. You are just amazing, don't ever change," Grant says while simultaneously place the flower in Mia's hair, grabbing a half apron from behind the hostess stand (he kept a stash of them all over the place), and giving her a friendly wink as he quickly moves on to the dining room to bus some tables, not giving her time to get a word in edge-wise.


Mia smiles towards Grant, a light blush crossing her cheek, things starting to get better after being ordered away by Quan. "Thank you." her smile growing. Her hand reaches up to brush a tear away. "Today has been bad, really bad.. we'll talk soon, okay?"

CaptainChaos
09-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Celestial

Kate held her phone to her ear waiting for Dr. Sing to answer. It rang and rang until it finally went to voicemail.

Great, she thought, he probably went to bed early.

She ended the call without leaving a message. It was too late to call his office. That would have to wait until the morning.

Sighing, she casually tossed the phone onto the recliner then looked at the clock. Her food should be here in about fifteen minutes or so.

Kate turned on some music and flopped down on the couch. She was starting to doze off when the intercom buzzed.


"Special delivery from the Golden Pheonix," a male voice announced.

Kate literally jumped off the couch and ran to the buzzer to let him. Tonight wasn't a complete waste after all. Her favorite delivery man, Grant, was here.
Kate hit the button on the wall and waited. She took a moment to look down at her workout clothes wishing she had taken the time to change. When he knocked on the door, she had to stop herself from throwing open the door. Instead, she casually opened it to see Grant standing there with a bag from the Golden Phoenix in his hands.

"Thank god you're here! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you." she said with a touch of innuendo.

She reached for her pocket to get some money before remembering her pants had no pockets. Blushing slightly, she apologized.
"Um, I'll be right back. I must have left my wallet in my other pants. Come in while you're waiting."

Kate rushed back to her bedroom and pulled out a few bills from her purse. She was slightly flustered from seeing Grant. She had no idea why he had this effect on her. He was just another man and she really didn't need any distractions in her life. Her last serious relationship had ended poorly.

"Thank you, you're a lifesaver." she told him as she handed him a twenty and a ten. She knew it was way more than the cost of the food plus delivery fee but she didn't care at the moment.

Grant handed her the bag of food and smiled at her. "You're welcome and thank you for being so generous. See you soon."

"I hope so." she replied with a silly grin on her face.

She closed the door behind him and put the aromatic bag of food on the coffee table. Then she grabbed a bottle of diet Coke from the fridge and sat down to enjoy her dinner.

IronEden
09-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Shrike
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

As the restaurant staff slowly began to wrangle the place into a semblance of order, Thomas got to work. The first thing he had to do was let people know that he was here, and what he was looking for. Fortunately, there was an etiquette for this, and anyone watching Thomas at his table would observe him laying out his dinnerware with the meticulousness of a world-class butler. Except, of course, that the end result was almost unrecognizable. It started by rolling out the napkin onto the table and pulling out those utensils he wouldn't need, the spoon and the butter-knife. These went off to the sauce-tray. Then, he pulled the salt-shaker out and set it on the right side of the napkin and put the fork next to it. Salt said "selling," and the fork said "muscle." The lack of the knife stipulated, "no murder.
Next, Thomas put down the pepper shaker. This said, "buying," and he placed his glass of water next to it, "information." Finally, he left a small flier for the Glimpse of Tomorrow talk visible on his table, as if he'd been reading it. The setup didn't look exactly natural, but it was inscrutable to strangers of the trade, and it announced its intent quite clearly. "Willing to work muscle-job/pay for information. Subject of work-slash-information: The Glimpse of Tomorrow."

That being done, Thomas settled in to wait. He started by looking back over the last message that Babel'd sent him on his phone, and on a whim he searched the phrase on the internet. A few embarrassing realizations later, he was reading up on the old Orwellian classics, and the running theme of totalitarianism and political corruption disturbed him. Babel was into that kind of thing, he knew. Most of his high-profile jobs often left calling cards, with bogus anarcho-communist slogans strewn about to catch the media's attention. Thomas didn't care for Babel's brand of activism, but it was true that his own profession required a government with a flexible attitude towards crime management and the ability to work outside of the system. Anything that consolidated government power, then, was probably not good for business.

Thomas thought this over for a while, and then he finally put up a new post on the Badlands. Hunting for a quote took time, but he figured it was a show of good faith to keep up the game. He went with the 'marketing' angle he'd briefly heard about in his earlier searches, and went from there. The post ran:

"“I think I misheard you the first time. What I mean to say is that, what America is, to me, is a guy doesn't want to buy, you let him not buy, you respect his not buying. A guy has a crazy notion different from your crazy notion, you pat him on the back and say, Hey pal, nice crazy notion, let's go have a beer. So let me know if there's any trouble for the notions. "

Praetorian Guard
09-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

Jiao ran back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room, balancing circular bamboo trays of traditionally prepared food. He was running through the list in his head, Table #3, Business woman, Blond, Pantsuit, Dim sum, Wonton in Broth, Steamed Rice and Green Tea, College Kids, four Deep Friend Wonton, two Steamed Rice, one Hot and Sour Soup, two Peking Duck and one Char siu. He avoided the lithe form of Mia as she pushed through the double doors in the kitchen and grabbed an apron, he saw that Grant was here now, and with Uncle Wei working recepti-UNCLE WEI!! Things must be really bad.

He was distracted a moment as he watched Mr. Burge re-arrange his cutlery and the tableware into a very regimented though odd pattern. He did it in very brisk, almost trained movements, there was a certain tao to the arrangement though Jiao couldn't quite understand it. He shook his head, and as he did so almost tripped over Pant Suit's laptop bag. "Oh, very sorry ma'am. Dim sum, Wonton in broth, Steamed Rice and Green tea, as you ordered. We are very sorry about the wait, but ensure that you will enjoy your meal." He half bowed as he placed the small ceramic tea pot down along with a traditional china tea cup. As she nodded in return, scanning her lap top he spun and moved towards the college kids, shifting the large serving tray to his other hand.

As Jiao set down their order, the young man thanked him in horribly butchered Cantonese, obviously trying to impress his other, probably wealthier from their dress, friends. At least the young man was trying, "Ahhh, I am sorry sir, I do not speak Cantonese as I am from the Zhejiang province in northern China. To speak so well though you must have spent some time in the Guandong province, and possibly Hong Kong itself?" As he complimented the mans attempt at Chinese to bolster his status to his snobbish friends Jiao set down their meal with a practiced flair. He shot the young man a smile and a bow as he did so and whisked away their appetizer dishes and returned to the kitchen brushing past Mia as she exited, apron now in place.

He took her gently by the elbow and guided her to the side out of the path of traffic. "Wei is working the front, Grant and you are on tables? Where are the rest of the staff, where is Kim?" As he asked these questions in Mandarin, he looked into her eyes with real concern growing there.


OOC: Insight check to determine Mia's reaction and resulting honesty of her answer in regards to questions about Kim-ja & the Jade Falcons. (1d20+11=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4655750/)

kenmadragon
09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: Weird...

Samaritan frowned slightly, trying to figure out what exactly he was seeing there. It was a pity he hadn't developed night vision or something. Or telescopic vision. Or X-ray vision. X-ray vision would be useful for so many reasons, many of them quite fun if no one figured out he used it. Still, he was trying to figure out why a bunch of what looked like children had silver... fur? Was it really fur? And could those things in their hands be handguns? He couldn't really tell, but he was faintly aware of something moving on the rooftops, getting a better view of the situation.

His first instinct was to confront the kids, but there was also someone on the roofs. What was going on with that? Puzzling it over, he realized that if the children(?) in hoodies were carrying weapons or the like, that couple walking down the street were in trouble real soon. Best see if he could sneak up on the kids and follow them. If they tried something, Samaritan only hoped that he was fast enough to stop it.


Gliding to street level, and now gonna use Stealth to keep out of sight and tail these kids (and hope he doesn't get spotted by whoever's on the roof). Stealth 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4656472/)

CaptainChaos
09-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Celestial

Kate overslept the next morning. She had planned on getting up early and going out to run some errands. She groaned as she looked at the time.

Great, it's almost nine thirty already.

She rolled out of bed, stood, and stretched. She stumbled to the bathroom and took a shower. Afterwards, she grabbed the phone and dialed Dr. Sing's office.

"Dr. Sing's office." a pleasant female voice answered.

"Hi Lucy, it's Kate Ory. Is Dr. Sing available?"

"I'm sorry Miss Ory. Dr. Sing is in meetings all day. May I take a message?"

"Yes, please tell him I called about the GoT talks at the University next week. My number is 555-1203."

"Thank you Miss Ory. I will make sure he gets the message. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"No, that's all. Thank you Lucy."

"Have a pleasant day Miss Ory and thank you for calling."

Kate sat there for a moment with the phone in her hand. She really needed to go to the talks next week. How was she going to get a ticket? Maybe she could seduce a college student? No, that would be too creepy. She just couldn't see herself seducing a 20 year old. That would definitely have to be a last ditch desperate attempt to get a ticket.

She put the phone down and went to the kitchen. After a quick breakfast, she checked her email. No responses from any of her contacts yet. She proceeded to browse the web for awhile trying to find something interesting. She nearly had a heart attack when her phone rang. Hoping it was Dr. Sing, she leaped for the phone and was disappointed when she checked the caller ID.

"This is Kate." she answered.

"Kate Ory?" the voice asked.

"Yes it is. How can I help you?"

"This is Sandra Upson from Scientific American. I don't normally call reporters directly but I'm in a jam and I was wondering if you could help me out."

Kate's attention was suddenly focused on the caller. Sandra Upson was the Managing Editor of Scientific American! This was good news!

"What do you need Ms Upson?"

"Please call me Sandra. Our reporter called in sick. It seems they caught a virus. Anyway, they were in Neotropolis to cover a small, but interesting, story. There is a geneticist there that is working on using DNA from animals to make humans healthier. The research is still in it's infant stage but it is a human interest story. According to the geneticist, Dr. Wong, if this research is successful, they would be able to regrow lost limbs for soldiers, create new nerves for paralyzed people, restore lost vision, and much more. I wish to hire you to cover this for us. You will receive double your normal compensation due to the last minute request."

Kate could hardly believe her ears. All she had to do was go visit some scientist, write an article, and get paid a hefty sum. She would have enough money to cover her utility bills and put food on the table.

"You got a deal. Just send me the address and the time." Kate responded.

"Very well Miss Ory. We will send you the information and a standard contract to your email shortly. Thank you for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated. You have my personal gratitude as well. We'll be in touch. Have a nice day."

"Goodbye Ms. Upson."

Kate put the phone down, went to the bathroom where she fixed her hair and put on some makeup. In her experience, these nerdy scientist types always liked it when a pretty woman paid attention to them. It made them more talkative about their research. Then she grabbed a nice, low cut blouse, a short skirt, and a pair of pumps. Within minutes, she was out the door, reviewing the address sent to her email.

Weyrd
09-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Hardlight

Last Night:

Greeted at the door by a very attractive woman in form hugging work out clothes and then tipped generously...some days it was very good to be a delivery man. Whistling to himself he made his way back to the scooter and with a bang started it up and headed off to his next delivery. He doubted he'd be greeted the same way at this one, but hopefully the delivery of this special item would go off with out a hitch and he'd be able to call it a night.

Lunch Rush:

Grant continued to work the tables, clearing plates, refilling drink, dropping of checks. He noticed that in the back that Thomas was rearranging the items on his table in a slightly abnormal configuration. Grant didn't know what it meant, but he knew enough to recognize when someone was trying to send out signals to others. As long as it didn't cause trouble though, Grant didn't care. He did notice that he had yet to order food too. If he was any other patron, Quan would probably be at his table requesting he either order some food or leave. Available tables equaled money in a lunch rush. However, Grant new Thomas patronized other, more lucrative, services that Quan offered...so he was probably being given a pass because of this.

Speaking of Quan, Grant finally noticed that Mia was back working tables with him and Jiao and that Quan was working the front. Grant shook his head and did his best to stifle a chuckle. That old man thought he could run this entire restaurant single-handedly. He just didn't realize that there were some aspects of service that he just wasn't good at. Of course Grant wasn't going to be the one to tell him, he valued his life too much. Walking by Jiao and Mia, he over hears him ask her where the rest of the staff is at. Not able to help himself he chimes in, "It might not matter anymore, as with Quan at the front we're about to get a lot less busy."

Spectrum
09-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Samaritan

As you get closer to the 'children' the weirdness only deepens. Several of them stop and turn towards you, their strange handguns turning with them. It's then that things start to make a strange kind of sense as faces stare out from under the hoodies.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/u/TvyamNb-BivtNwcoxtkc5xGBuGkIMh_nj4UJHQKuor2ErX4P4o_K12fShu DDWVJQlMAI7Kg1xraoIw/

With a hiss and a snarling chitter, they wave the guns at you, a firm angry gesture to mind your own &*#* business before someone gets hurt. You've heard some pretty unbelievable urban legends living in Neotropolis about peculiar things happening to the local fauna and flora being experimented on or getting into odd waste products, but this is likely the first time to actually see it in person.

The young couple finally starts to wake up out of their stupor. Their reaction is one of shock and amusement, a weak little whimper of nervousness, clearly not believing their eyes either. The other masked bandits turning towards them, trying to keep an assertive dominance.

Spectrum
09-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Celestial

As you reach the arranged meeting, the door opens right in your face. Not for the first time dealing with the mentally endowed types do your enhanced abilities come in place. In fact, as you think about it, the number of times that you've used your skills to dodge out of the way of lab accidents far far outweighs the times that you've had to deal with criminal elements.

Sadly, it doesn't get much better as a man that could put the scientist from the Simpsons (Professor Frink) look like he stepped out of GQ pushes his head out, stares down the front of your shirt and grins a bucktoothed grin. A sharp inhalation, with tight nasal voice painful in pitch. "Snffhhghg, you must be Miss Ory.."

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/32000000/Jerry-Lewis-jerry-lewis-32040749-500-607.png

Oh this was going to be a fun meeting.


Don't move too far ahead, lots to play out on this one.

Spectrum
09-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Golden Phoenix

Mr Burge is indeed starting to attract attention but perhaps not the type that he was intending.

"Fascinating, the arrangement suggests a deliberate interpolation between Liiqi Pai feng shui and deep topology everywhere to everywhere searching in a Kubo-Nuli matrix...

"Dear, I love watching an artist at work..it's so refreshingly primitive..

"Greeeeat, another one of those geekboys at work. I really need to get back to the office.

Quan takes a moment to ignore the growing lobby before him to stare at whatever is attracting so much attention. A low groan under his breath and a few words that it's best that so few people here can actually speak Mandarin.

It takes a moment before Shrike's phone chirps again. "Such delightful provincialism. The world is much larger than what you choose to see. SUDU: Here friend is the perfect item that you have been wanting your entire life and that brings meaning, only you didn't know you wanted it before I offered it to you. It will only cost your soul. Now thank me for it. Control the interpreted perceptions that we call our internal narrative and you own the soul. Now order something before you loose the table. You're being rude you metal headed bottom feeder. Love- your God"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Mia frowns as someone grabs her elbow, the sleek muscles tensing towards a casual but very firm dismissal.. and then goes soft again, the tension flowing around. Her eyes glance around, peering about for undesired ears, a slight nod towards Grant. Her voice stays low though, "Both fools, young and old, are children pretending at being adults!" her voice rising only to go quiet again, "They are in disagreement about a business opportunity that can bring a lot of money to the Falcons. Uncle is against it.." she purses her lips, "I don't know much more but they're both refusing to budge."

She looks hopefully, pleadingly towards Jiao-long, "If you, if you.. if you were willing to step in, mediate and bring peace, things could get better." she frowns, not quite believing the last herself, quite aware that this is an early volley in the war between young and old. She leans back, her delightful curves pressing against her tight white shirt, "I'd be very thankful."

*thumpclick swing* *thumpclick swing* *thumpclick swing* Of course, just as Mia is looking so very pretty and vulnerable, is the time that Ariel decides to show up for lunch. Ariel's eyes grow big before tightening, a grimace passing over her pretty features. She spins upon her crutches and begins to *thumpclick swing* back away. "Thank you.. it's clearly too busy here. I'll come another time." ice dripping from every word.


I need more colors for scenes like this..

CaptainChaos
09-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Celestial


Celestial


As you reach the arranged meeting, the door opens right in your face. Not for the first time dealing with the mentally endowed types do your enhanced abilities come in place. In fact, as you think about it, the number of times that you've used your skills to dodge out of the way of lab accidents far far outweighs the times that you've had to deal with criminal elements.

Sadly, it doesn't get much better as a man that could put the scientist from the Simpsons (Professor Frink) look like he stepped out of GQ pushes his head out, stares down the front of your shirt and grins a bucktoothed grin. A sharp inhalation, with tight nasal voice painful in pitch. "Snffhhghg, you must be Miss Ory.."

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/32000000/Jerry-Lewis-jerry-lewis-32040749-500-607.png

Oh this was going to be a fun meeting.

Kate was briefly taken aback by the man's appearance. Being the professional she was, she recovered her composure quickly. Extending her hand, she smiled warmly and replied;

"You must be Dr. Wong! It's a pleasure to meet you. I can't wait to hear all about your research. I've been told it has the potential to revolutionize medicine."

Spectrum
09-26-2014, 08:24 PM
The School Labs

The man takes in another deep snorting breath, his eyes never leaving about a foot and half below Kate's. "Yes, yes, yes of course. The interview regarding hi..my research." he grins, licking up a bit of spittle from his lips, "Do you like flaan? They have the most wonderful flaaan in the cafeteria. It'll be my treat! Yes, yes, yes, of course!" with a odd skipping waddle, he starts to walk away and towards this fabled flan, assuming that you'll walk with him.

As you walk, he makes an odd little jerking movement, trying to get you to walk before him so that he can get a 'better view'.

Uhg.


An insight roll can be made whenever you want but no rush. I'm sure that it's not important.

IronEden
09-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Shrike
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

Holy shit, marveled Thomas as he grinned, Babel's an asshole. He certainly knew how to keep things interesting, though. He wrote the man back:

"If that's the case, you might want to choose a narrative that at least makes people work for it. Your tip's good, though, and I've got a feeling we're going to be on the same page with this one, narrow-scope or no. So thanks, God.

P.S: Let me know when you get hungry. We both know souls don't go for much."

He pocketed his phone, his head thick with speculation. He had to suppress the discomfort of Babel's supernatural awareness: how he could see Thomas right now was a mystery he knew he couldn't solve, and instead he focused on the content of Babel's message. "Control the internal perception," was it? That sounded like marketing, alright, but the idea of Babel feeding him hints over something so innocuous was absurd, so that meant something more. Thomas went back to the idea of facial recognition, which he knew played into the whole thing somehow. There were the obvious threats of consumer tracking and intrusive marketing, but the more Thomas thought about it, the more the implications seemed to broaden. He couldn't shake his mind from the notion of doppelgangers. After all, if somebody could figure out how to actually capture a face and use it digitally, there was no reason those features couldn't simply be borrowed, or worse, invented. People trust a face they can recognize, and that was looking like a dangerous truth right around now.

Of course, one of this helped him predict what kind of situation could go down at the talk on Friday. The power to control other people was something just about every criminal could use. But it brought up something to be wary of. There was a good chance that things would not be as they seemed, and Thomas idly wondered if it would be too pre-emptive to try to get an upgrade in advance. Some means of telling an artificially generated face from a real one.

Thomas' stomach suddenly rumbled, and his tangential reverie was brought up short by the revelation that he'd not eaten since early last evening. That was good. That made him a lot less ashamed of what he was about to do, which was flag down the nearest waiter and order his favorite meal, Quan Wei's sensibilities be damned. "Excuse me, can I get three plates of General Tso's Chicken over here? You can hold the rice."

kenmadragon
09-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: Raccoon-people? Crazy wiz - I mean Crazy Mad Scientists!

Samaritan blinked with surprise as the little children - wait, no, not children! These were raccoons! Raccoons walking on two legs, wearing hoodies and waving around handguns! What the hell? Sure, Samaritan - or rather, Dexter - had heard those weird rumors of the mad scientists that seemed to litter the city's underbelly experimenting on anything they could get their hands on but this? Really? Raccoons?

As the raccoon-people began to menace the couple and wave their guns threateningly at Samaritan, the hero merely gave them a half smile. In a flash, his hand had reached out to grab the nearest raccoon-person-creature in a hoodie, hoisting it up in the air with apparent ease by the scruff of it's neck. He had closed the distance in an instant, and his hand had moved faster than most people could see. In less than a blink of an eye, and the raccoon-creature was in his grasp.

"You know, this is a really bad joke on the "masked bandit" thing..." Samaritan half joked as he held the racoon person aloft, before turning to the couple. "Run! Get out of here! I'll deal with the... bandits..." he told them, urging them to run while he got the attention of the bandits - you know, by holding one of them aloft with ease.


Yeah... Attacking to Grab: 1d20+6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4659351/) Well, how about that. Uh, I'm guessing that the critical just adds +5 to my Strength check (the raccoon-person resists with either Strength or Dodge), so my strength check is 1d20+10=30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4659353/)+5=35... Oh for crying out loud, that's just... Seriously, I have no words. Where was this luck in my TT game on friday?!? My rogue was slaughtered by owlbears, and I could have used those 20s... :mad:

Spectrum
09-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Schadenfreude (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA)- Making the World a Better Place

Cast: Samaritan, Gizmo Girl, E-Girl

Being a superhero is supposed to be cool. Awesome costumes (wearing your underwear on the outside is a sure way to woo the ladies)! Great special effect budgets and glorious explosions. It's not supposed to be about this. It's certainly not supposed to be about Uplifted raccoons muggers.

Cindy- you've been having an incredible date so far, fun and lively. Your date is smart, funny and even if the hairdresser really did cut it off way too short, really cute. You two went by the little grocery store on the corner to pick up a few odds and ends for a home cooked meal and a delightful desert. We'll leave it at that. So wrapped up in the conversation, you really weren't paying attention to the world around you, really not paying attention to things around you. The streetlights are out, not much in the way of porchlights. Normally, your sense of caution would be screaming that something isn't right here and that at least a little precaution would be in order. But she's cute, she's really cute and funny and well.. sigh.

And then the kinda hunky guy flies down into the middle of the street.
And then the gangbanger raccoons show up.


Samaritan- You reach out and grab the raccoon thug and think that you get a really good grip.

And then something smacks you in the back of the head. It doesn't really hurt though, maybe a snowball that has a little too much ice in it.
And then you feel something nasty start to ooze down the back of your neck.


And then some nasty smelling cloud of smoke bursts out in the area.. just barely stopping at Cindy's feet but really getting Samaritan nice and good.
And then the smoke clears and you're left holding the empty hoodie.

And then the bags break, the racoons swarm the two cute girls trying to get the munchies that they were after.


And then with the clap of gunfire, car alarms start going off down the block, dogs start barking, houselights start coming on and people start looking out their windows.


E-Girl

Doesn't the boyscout know that this is your territory? You're on your way to set things straight and maybe enjoy some of the eyecandy (he is kinda cute in a dorky kind of way). You're on rooftop as all of this happens, letting you get a good look at the entire spectacle.

And then the urge to start laughing comes, so hard to stop it..

Taking pleasure in someone else's pain..


(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA)Schadenfreude

CaptainChaos
09-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Celestial

Kate was nauseated. This Dr. Wong was turning out to be a bigger letch than any of her previous interviewees. She certainly had met her share of men and boys that felt the need to ogle her but none had been quite so sickening as her current subject. The only reason she played along was she needed the money. Sandra owed her big time for this interview.

"So, tell me what makes this flan so special?" she asked politely as she stepped slightly in front of the disgusting man.

As the two of them walked, she made sure to wiggle her hips just enough to satisfy the Dr.'s lusty gaze.

Why can't I just interview a lesbian for once? At least they are more discreet in admiring someone. she thought as they walked towards the cafeteria.

kenmadragon
09-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: It's certainly not supposed to be about uplifted-raccoon-muggers... But they're still fun!

Samaritan blinked his eyes, coughing slightly as the smoke clouded his vision momentarily. Waving the fumes away quickly with a few quick swipes of the hand, Samaritan found the limp hoodie in his hand devoid of raccoon-creature. "Whuh?" he said ignominiously under his breath, before seeing the raccoons running for the couple.

He'd have to wonder why both the guy and the girl seemed to be wearing high heels... later.

Eyes widening at the sound of gunfire, Samaritan leaped into action. No time anymore, he only prayed he was fast enough... Fast enough to put himself in between the two civilians and the bullets that might zoomed at them.

A flash and he'd already gotten next to the couple - who really should have been running - the hero's arms swinging wide in an effort to interpose as much of himself between them and their would be muggers. Most would think that mad - why put yourself in the path of a bullet meant for another? Especially someone you didn't know?

Well, Samaritan knew that that's simply what heroes did. They risked their necks for the people who couldn't do so themselves. They helped the helpless.

That and he was pretty certain that the bullets would simply flatten against his skin, smashing themselves upon impact with his super-tough skin. This was probably why Samaritan didn't bother blinking when he felt the bullets slam into him.


They're firing their little guns? Well, then I'm going to just Interpose. Because as far as Samaritan is concerned, these are two civilians (and I doubt Gizmo Girl has her combat gear with her, so it's not exactly un-true) and are likely to die from bullets. Samaritan won't die from bullets.

So yes, Interpose, s'il vous plait.

Edit: Figured I might as well roll Initiative: 15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4660822/)

Psistrike
09-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Gizmo Girl
HP: 1 Condition: Pissed off!
It had been the perfect night so far, I couldn't believe I met Maria in my Advanced Biomechanics class and hit it off. The first date in a long while and with a cutie Latina, beautiful, smart and as into me as I'm into her. But no! My stupid weirdness magnet hits again right in the middle of our date and some gun wielding raccoons opened fire. When the first shots rang out, I freaked as my power belt was turned off for the moment. Thankfully this buff guy jumped in the way and took the hit.

"Thanks, sir. Maria, you head home. We'll try to have this date another time. Keep safe." Cindy said as she gave Maria a kiss and sent her running for the safety of home. Then, when no one was looking, she triggered the implant in the left palm of her hand and activated her power belt, while fishing her variable blaster out of her purse. "Okay, raccoons! I was on the first date in a long while with a really nice and cute girl and you ruined it! Now I'm going to stun the lot of you unconscious to vent my frustration. And then, if the authorities don't pick you up, I'm taking at least one of you home to examine." she yelled at the fuzzy creatures which had moved towards her. Taking aim at the nearest raccoon, she opened fire with a look of pure fury upon her face.

[OOC: Initiative: 1d20+8=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4660500/). Attack roll to hit raccoon: 1d20+8=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4660502/). DC 18 Fortitude check against her Stun Ray.]

Praetorian Guard
09-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


Mia frowns as someone grabs her elbow, the sleek muscles tensing towards a casual but very firm dismissal.. and then goes soft again, the tension flowing around. Her eyes glance around, peering about for undesired ears, a slight nod towards Grant. Her voice stays low though, "Both fools, young and old, are children pretending at being adults!" her voice rising only to go quiet again, "They are in disagreement about a business opportunity that can bring a lot of money to the Falcons. Uncle is against it.." she purses her lips, "I don't know much more but they're both refusing to budge."

She looks hopefully, pleadingly towards Jiao-long, "If you, if you.. if you were willing to step in, mediate and bring peace, things could get better." she frowns, not quite believing the last herself, quite aware that this is an early volley in the war between young and old. She leans back, her delightful curves pressing against her tight white shirt, "I'd be very thankful."

*thumpclick swing* *thumpclick swing* *thumpclick swing* Of course, just as Mia is looking so very pretty and vulnerable, is the time that Ariel decides to show up for lunch. Ariel's eyes grow big before tightening, a grimace passing over her pretty features. She spins upon her crutches and begins to *thumpclick swing* back away. "Thank you.. it's clearly too busy here. I'll come another time." ice dripping from every word.

As Mia began to speak, Jiao's mind raced along several different paths, Mr. Burge would probably be his best bet at finding out the opportunity that Kim had found that was currently ruffling Uncle Wei's feathers. With that in mind he positioned himself in front of Mia so he could watch the Shrike's table. That's why he didn't react to the sound of Ariel's braces in time, they had been masked by the din of the kitchen and the hectic servers. Still carrying the tray he spun after Ariel, "Wait, Ms. Dukes, I can have a table cleared shortly, and the lightly seasoned dim sum you enjoy ..." His voiced trailed off as he heard the crash, a half used container of sweet and sour sauce being knocked off the tray by his sudden movements trailing down the delightful curves, that had been pressed so close to him a moment before. Her icy glare matched Ariel's as she stalked to the kitchen to fetch another blouse.

Jiao sighed, studying the Hundred and Seventy Three Meridians of chi energy in the human body, both major and minor had been significantly less complicated than women were.


"Excuse me, can I get three plates of General Tso's Chicken over here? You can hold the rice."

At least there was a distraction from the chilling glares of the two young ladies. "Yes, Mr. Burge, right away." Jiao slipped into the kitchen just as a freshly ironed blouse slipped down over smooth golden skin. Though the razor sharp glare that came over that same shoulder spoke volumes. "I ... I ... very sorry about my clumsiness Mia. I will look in on your brother and ensure that he is safe, and does not damage his relationship with Uncle Wei." With that he spoke to the kitchen staff and waited until Mr. Burge's order was complete.

As he came out of the kitchen, CAREFULLY, balancing three plates of Tso's chicken, he approached the Shrikes table. "Mr. Burge, your dinner as requested." In close proximity he strained not to stare at the scars and noticeable implants that reminded Jiao so much of his sister, and the atrocities that had been done to her body to maintain the flow of her chi. Almost absently he wondered what could drive a man to do that to himself, or if he had been so badly damaged that the implants were the only thing keeping him alive. A raised eyebrow brought him back to the present, he shook his head and bowed slightly by way of apology, and handed Mr. Burge a napkin.

Written on it, in a neat hand was the following: 'Information requested. Kim-ja, Jade Falcon. Recent dealings or negotiations. Payment by way of exchange. Dr. Sing, Glimpse of Tomorrow. Golden Phoenix. Rooftop Garden. Midnight.'


OOC: Iron Eden & I can do the meet & info exchange by PM if we want to skip scenes or play it out after the lunch rush, as time permits. I fully intend on meeting him in my heroic ID, as the Dragon's Breath.

Weyrd
09-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Hardlight

Last night:
Grant's other delivery went by just fine, with no complications. Always a relief. Still getting home rather late, he crashed on the futon and quickly fell asleep.

Lunch Rush:

Grant could only stand there and laugh as Jiao seriously botched his interactions with both Ariel and Mia. That kid was incredibly mature for his age, but he still was a bumbling teenager when it came to women. Still chuckling he approached him, "Better luck next time, ladies man," he said before continuing to bus some of the empty tables.

Gathering a full load of dishes he heads back to the kitchen to drop them off. In the kitchen he notice Jiao hurriedly scribbling something on a napkin a heaping plate full of chicken. Hardlight figured he was either writing the worst apology/love note ever or he was trying to pass on a message to customer who ordered the chicken (which Hardlight figured could only be the bid, bad Tinman bounty hunter.) He peeked over his shoulder to catch a glimpse, but wasn't able to see much before Jiao wrapped the napkin around some silverware. Just that last part Rooftop Garden, Midnight. Now it did seem like a love note, but the recipient was in fact Burke. Either Grant was embarrassingly wrong about what Jiao's type was or there was something else going on.

Gran t shrugged and told himself that whatever it was, it was none of his business (although he could feel all the curious questions poking at the back of his mind.) Having set the stacks of dishes over by the sink, he turns to head back out to the floor. Before he gets there though he sees Mia, still trying to clean some of the sweet and sour sauce off of her hair and clothes. Grant chuckles again slightly, but then quickly composes himself when he receives an angry, possibly even teary eyed, glare from her. "Sorry, sorry. I can see that you're having a bad day and this might not be that funny to you...right now. Is there anything I can do to make your day better? I could even, and this goes against every survival instinct I have but, I could even try and convince Quan to let you take back over the hostess stand. What do you think?"

kenmadragon
09-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: Civvie's packing laser guns? Phasers? What manner of madness is this?!?

Samaritan blinked with shock and surprise evident on his face as the blonde girl he had just taken a bullet for surprisingly pulled a... and he couldn't believe he was seeing this, but a laser gun out of her little purse and shot one of the raccoon-creatures shooting and trying to steal what looked like the couple's groceries...

What the heck?!?

Seeing the raccoon-creatures freaking out at the man moving really fast and being shot by bullets, and one of their raccoon-friends being shot with what looked like an energy blaster, Samaritan didn't really do anything as they ran away. It was weird, but the woman he had just "saved" held his attention more than the raccoons - though that racco0n-creatures were still not out of his thoughts. Turning on the woman (he couldn't tell why, but she looked a little different from before, probably the whole furious and gun-toting thing), eyes wide with surprise, he managed to say, "Uh, Miss, if you'd put the blaster away... And keep calm, 'cause we're in a residential area, and I have to ask... why do you have a blaster or phaser or whatever?"

Psistrike
09-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Gizmo Girl
"Great, just great. At least the buggers are scared off. And okay, I'll put the blaster away." she said as she put the blaster back into her purse. "As for why I have a blaster, I built it myself years ago and have modified it since. It's one of my go-to gadgets that I keep with me all the time. I've been a weirdness magnet since I was little and that kind of stuff isn't always friendly. Had to make means to defend myself and others when needed, especially in a city known for weirdness. And...yeouch!" she calmly said until suddenly sparks could be seen coming from the palm of her left hand as the implant shorted out.

"Ah, guess the disguise has dropped. I go by Gizmo Girl and that implant creates a field which messes with people's perception so they don't recognize me when it is active. I'm Cindy Cormick, the super genius science prodigy. And that stupid implant is a piece of tech of my own design, although some parts of the science are a bit beyond even me. So sometimes it shorts out and stops working or makes others see me as something else entirely. One time I got stuck being seen as an anime catgirl for 3 days. But enough about me..." she calmly explained despite the minor burn on the palm of her hand when Maria came running from out behind the corner of the building.

"You're Gizmo Girl! I can't believe it, you're Gizmo Girl. I know this is just our first date but when were you going to bring up that you are a superhero? And for that matter, why don't you have a better superhero costume, like one of those skin-tight numbers." Maria said while biting her lip at the last part and mostly ignoring the guy. "Oh, thanks for saving us earlier by the way. Sorry about rushing off without saying anything, but Cindy insisted and she seemed to know what she was doing. But I'm too stubborn to leave a date like that, watched the whole thing from behind the corner of the building. Now that the raccoons are gone, how about we continue our date, Cindy, at your place." she said with a smile.

"Okay, now that you know why I have my blaster, which is non-lethal by the way, at least the setting I used on that raccoon was the stun ray, so can we leave or are you going to hold us to talk to the police? I've had enough of that over the years as it is, talking dog from another dimension comes to me at 8, they want to know its intentions. I disappear for a few days at 13 into another reality and of course they want the whole story, told 5 times and they still thought I made it up. So no thanks, me and Maria will be going to my place. Thank you for you help and good night." she said in a rapid voice and grabbed Maria's hand and began to walk away.

kenmadragon
09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Samaritan
HP: 1 Cond: Uh...

Samaritan merely stood there, silently as the blonde girl with the blaster gun began to talk - rather rapidly and without real pause, then her wrist sparked, and the dark haired girl soon rushed back and began talking quickly - who he could have sworn was a boy when he glided by - and then the blonde girl began talking about how she wasn't the bad guy in blasting the raccoon with a stun setting, then complained about weirdness... and by that point, Samaritan was just even more lost. By the time the blonde girl with the blaster began to walk away with her friend (or girlfriend? Was that it?) Samaritan was still standing there, a little perplexed and whelmed by the sudden rapidity of it all. He wasn't sure he even processed all that was said, super-speed and all.

"Uh..." the Samaritan managed to say as the girls turned to leave. Scratching his head, he wondered aloud, "Good talk? I think?..." Shrugging, he just hooked his thumb at the fleeing raccoon-muggers and said, "I'm just going to follow these guys and see what happens... Bye." And with that, the Samaritan turned and picked up the raccoon mugger that the blonde girl had stunned with her blaster, and begin to follow the other raccoon-creatures, wondering what the heck was going on, and if he would find some manner of criminal mastermind behind it. Somehow he doubted it, but Samaritan had to make sure that the raccoons didn't bother anyone else tonight, and the only way to do that was to follow them.

IronEden
09-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Shrike
Hero Points: 1 Condition: Normal

Thomas forgave Jiao for staring. The man, after all, was in possession of a whopping portion of food, and the saintly halo of scented steam went a long way in raising Thomas' esteem. He thanked him without looking up, sparing him from having to look at the seams in his eyes, and wasted no time in burying himself in his food. Naturally, he'd seen the note as soon as it arrived at his table, but it wasn't until two plates into his meal that his seething stomach finally gave him the time to read it. Suddenly he was all calm, and after some consideration he added another item to his table display: a bland bandana tucked in amongst the napkins that expanded his inquiries with the connotation of "gang." His table was certainly starting to look like a mess, but the presence of food, at least, lent it more natural airs than It'd previously had.

Picking over his last plate of food, Thomas produced his phone and browsed his various contacts. Gangs were a lot simpler than super-criminals, and it was possible that he knew someone who'd be able to help his Golden Phoenix client with their request.


OOC: Trying to see if I can use the "Connected" advantage to get an informant to join the meeting. I figure that's a simpler option than needing an independent, previous scene. Of course there's still the possibility of someone in the restaurant responding to Thomas' advertisements.

CaptainChaos
09-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Celestial

Kate walked slightly in front of Dr. Wong, conscious of his eyes alternating between her backside and her chest. As they walked, the man talked non-stop about the flan. She sighed softly, her mind thinking about the paycheck she would receive for this story. His research better be as interesting as Sandra indicated.

Kate was startled out of her daydream when her phone rang. She looked at the called ID and was confused. It looked like the call was coming from the University or close by.

"I'm sorry Doctor Wong, I need to take this call." she apologized.

She pressed the answer button and glanced at her walking companion as she raised the phone to her ear.

"Hello, this is Kate."

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Celestial

Dr. Wong is bad, really bad. Somewhere between wondering when he'll get to something relevant, how best to file a discrimination lawsuit and something, anything to keep your mind off the constant prattling of this walking hardon.. your phone begins to buzz. It takes a moment, the buzzing growing louder..

Would it really be all that bad to break off the meeting to answer it? At this point, does it even matter if its considered rude?

If you glance at it, you don't immediately recognize the exact number, but it's from the area code associated with the university.

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Gizmo Girl

Maria leans into you, completely gushing on in the most fangirlish way possible about how Gizmo Girl is incredibly awesome. Yeah, it's a great ego stroke, but it also really changes the whole direction of the conversation. While it went from a great getting to know you better conversation, a give and take among two equals, it's suddenly all about you, or rather the Gizmo Girl part of you.

"So how do you get your suit to stay in place? Aren't you worried about showing things? Doesn't it get cold?
"When did you first realize that you were, you know, different?

So how does being worshipped feel?

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Celestial


Oops, we'll fix that in edit. Right?

The voice on the other line, Dr Wong, is gentle but very intelligent and so very very masculine, "Hello Ms Ory. This is Doctor Robert Wong. Is this a good time? Hopefully, I didn't catch you in traffic."

Doctor W(r)ong keeps prattling along, not paying the least attention that you've answered your phone.

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Samaritan

Shaking the confusion out of your head, guhhahahahaaha. There, better now.

The racoon-creature-thing that you pick up is well.. with your strength, most anything is light. If your arms were a bit longer, you could cradle a small car against your chest. But, honestly, this thing, this creature, it a lot like holding a medium sized pet dog that hasn't been particularly groomed for a long while. The unwashed hoodie just adds to the sensory confusion. Flexible little black and silver paws sticking out from the arms. On one, a handmade bracelet, little charms hanging from it, a bit of winescrew, a RAM chip, the screen of a smartphone.

The tongue lolls out, the unfocusing eyes well.. they could show signs of intelligence if they were a little less.. untasered by the crazy cute blonde.

Following the rest of the gaze, or a nursery.. in any case, may prove to be troublesome. They're a tricky lot. On the other hand, there's a sneaky suspicion that there are eyes on you, and not just from the neighbors.

The hunter may just become the hunted.

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Golden Phoenix

Hardlight

Mia narrows her eyes before a light blush crosses her cheeks. "Thank you Grant." she touches a finger to her lips. "I'd like that. I know the patrons would prefer that. Just.. just be careful. if you don't choose sides soon, you may loose the ability to choose." her shoulders tighten. Is that what's happening here? is she trying to maintain loyalties to both Uncle and brother or maybe just be left alone by both sides?

With a twitch of her hips, she grabs another order and walks back out with a stepford smile, determination in her movements. A soft murmur, "Thank you Grant. Be careful."


Jiao-long

The rest of the shift is that strange mix of business because of lack of staff on board against the diminishing crowd. In normal cases, it would be in good balance, but this is hardly a normal case.

During a longer moment of quiet, Uncle beckons you over, a hard look in his eyes, suspicion unhidden.

<<Jiao-long. Do you know what is happening today? Do you know why those young fools are not present?>> With a tone that not only do you know, but your could be acting against his interests.


Shrike

"Yeah, what do you want? I'm a busy man.." TRex is a man who knows how to find things that people want. He's not terribly trustworthy, but he's a guy that you know that knows some other guys. "Shrike-man, busy busy times. How can I help you?"

CaptainChaos
09-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Celestial


Celestial



The voice on the other line, Dr Wong, is gentle but very intelligent and so very very masculine, "Hello Ms Ory. This is Doctor Robert Wong. Is this a good time? Hopefully, I didn't catch you in traffic."

Doctor W(r)ong keeps prattling along, not paying the least attention that you've answered your phone.

Kate was surprised and a tad skeptical.
"No, I'm actually here at the University. I was unaware there were two Dr. Wongs working at the University. I am with one now actually."

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Dr Wong

Dr Wong smiles into the phone, a good wry chuckle, "I think that there are a lot more than just two. It's a pretty common last name around here. I'd like to apologize for my tardiness for our appointment. I was drawn away unexpectedly. My TA was supposed to ask that you be patient. Did he get ahold of you?"

Does lewdly licking out an emptied cup of flan count?

CaptainChaos
09-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Celestial

Kate looked at the other Dr.Wong. The one that had an unhealthy fascination with flan.

"So tell me Dr., does your T.A. have an appetite for flan? If so, we've met. Fortunately he hasn't tried to get a hold of me literally. Otherwise you might need a new assistant."

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Dr Wong

There's an audible wince, "Some assistants are less helpful than others." The smile comes back, "Do you have enough time for the interview still? I'd understand if you need to reschedule. While it isn't the full time, I have a little time available.

"Shall we meet in my office in a few minutes?

CaptainChaos
09-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Celestial

Kate smiles. Perhaps today would turn out good after all.
"That sounds like an excellent idea. I'll be there."

Praetorian Guard
09-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


During a longer moment of quiet, Uncle beckons you over, a hard look in his eyes, suspicion unhidden.

<<Jiao-long. Do you know what is happening today? Do you know why those young fools are not present?>> With a tone that not only do you know, but your could be acting against his interests.

Jiao was more than a little nervous, at being called over to speak with Uncle Wei. As Grant so quickly pointed out, he had managed to offend both Mia and Ariel, while still obligating himself to assist Mia and her brother by assuaging the pride of both men. All this while he was still entirely unaware of what was causing this rift between the Falcon's and Wei.

He nodded as he walked towards Uncle Wei, the man had an uncanny way of seeing through any deceit or dishonesty. Best to be both honest and sincere when beginning any discussion with him. He began in Cantonese, "Kim-ja has pulled the Falcons, or at least the full fledged members, from the restaurant leaving you short staffed during the rush. As such you have had to call in both part time, and off duty shifts to cover lunch. This has resulted in a disruption to business," while Uncle Wei had never explicitly included Jiao in any of his less than reputable dealings, the young man knew of them at the very least, "and as any man knows the lack of respect displayed by Mr. Leung disturbs you greatly."

He cleared his throat and continued on, pressing the advantage of speaking frankly, "The way I see it, we have yourself, Uncle Wei, a traditionalist who values and respects his culture, and remembers his roots. While we also have Kim-ja, a young impetuous man who seeks to carve out a niche in which to create his own legacy, but both men, traditionalist and contemporary are trying to preserve the culture and community from which they come."

Knowing that he had overstepped, Jiao looked at the kitchen doors hopefully, maybe Mia would come through and watch Uncle Wei blast Jiao, and know that he had attempted to intervene on her brother's behalf.


OOC: Unskilled Persuasion Check to try to improve Uncle Wei's attitude towards Jiao, Followed by an Insight Check to determine the truth of his follow up comments. (1d20+1=10, 1d20+11=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4663007/) Yup, maybe some skill ranks in Persuasion woulda helped, this verbal assault is going to hurt. Alot. But at least I'll know if he really intends on feeding me to his pigs! Eeeeek!

Spectrum
09-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Celestial

The scene when you get back to the office is in complete opposition.

Dr Wong opens the door with a smile as he looks up to you, "Thank you for your patience, ma'am, please come in." he laughs as he rolls a foot back, "My ID card to help verify me."

He's a handsome older man (40s), a strong face half hidden by a salt and pepper beard. Deep green eyes that always seem to smile. The cream dress shirt concealing a well toned form. There's even a touch of humour, a golden and brown Escher lizard tessellation motif (http://uploads5.wikiart.org/images/m-c-escher/lizard.jpg) tie. Even his wheelchair has a touch of solid masculine class, a blanket covering where his legs should be.

The office is an echo of the man, little bits and pieces here and there. A few athletic trophies, a few photos of a much younger version of him in fatigues with a bunch of other young guys, more recent photos of him with various athletic teams or with students. Even his paperwork seems straight. One corner is obviously not his. From the overflowing basket of crusty plastic cups, no doubt who it belongs to.

He rolls back into the door, moving back into the small office. "Please take a seat so that we can begin. Ms Upson forwarded a prepared list of questions and we can begin with those or did you have a list prepared?"

CaptainChaos
09-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Celestial

Kate smiles warmly at Dr. Wong.

Hmm, not bad looking. Intelligent and in good shape. So what if he's a little older. he mind wanders as she gets a good look at the real Dr. Wong.

"I'm afraid I was called about this interview at the last minute. Let's start with a few standard questions and then we can go through the list."

Kate switched her cell phone to audio recording mode and set it done between them.
"Why don't we start by telling me a little about yourself. Where did you study? Where and for who have you worked?"

kenmadragon
09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

The young hero frowned as he looked at the light little creature. It looked like some manner of amalgamation of a human child and a raccoon - or rather, a raccoon that resembled something more human, or anthropomorphic or something - and it seemed almost... intelligent. Well, if it wasn't tasered and unconscious with it's tongue lolling out. That was just gross on some levels, but Samaritan didn't really care. He was half hoping the creature would wake up so he could ask questions. Assuming it could understand him... and if it spoke English...

He would have to rethink his strategy. Sighing, Samaritan wondered what he was even doing. Sure, it was a Friday, and Dexter had no other plans or friends to hang out with tonight, but heck, this was just weird. Well, not really, but tonight was among his stranger nights.

Something on the back of his neck prickled, and he noted it. Human intuition. Sometimes, it was like a super-power, but since everyone had it, and some animals were even better at using it, intuition didn't seem like much. Still, very damn useful. Enough to remind him that something was strange with the situation.

To the average person, that would be obvious. "You're a superhero carrying around a gun-toting raccoon in a hoodie that was about to mug two chicks for their groceries and are now trying to trail them to figure out what's going on. What's not strange about this situation?" they might say. But Samaritan wasn't average. And he knew that this sensation of strangeness was... different. The raccoon muggers had just disappeared, and the hero felt this instinctual need to look over his shoulder, just to make sure.

He wasn't sure, but Samaritan could feel eyes upon him. Didn't know from where, or by whom, but something told him that he was being watched. All humans felt this at some point in their lives, some more than others. Many equate it to a mistake in perception, or simply the result of being uncomfortable, or just a tad bit of paranoia. Whatever it was, Samaritan felt it, and it shook him. Instinct is a hard mistress to say no to, and his adrenaline was beginning to pump.

He had to focus. He knew not to ignore those instincts, but they weren't helpful right now - especially if he didn't know what he was up against. If it was more of the raccoon creatures, they wouldn't by much of a problem, but if it was something else... Samaritan forced himself to focus upon the strange bracelet on the raccoon's wrist. It seemed like an amalgamation of a bunch of weird things he couldn't really make out the function for. It seemed like some manner of kit-bashed device that did... something.

At this point, the Samaritan figured he might as well figure out what the bracelet-thing actually did. If only to make his heart stop beating so fast. So he did what any one would do when trying to figure out how something worked:

Samaritan began to push buttons on the bracelet-thing-device to see what happened when he did.

Weyrd
09-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Hardlight

Grant sighed as Mia left. Her advise on taking a side was troubling to him. He didn't want to choose, mostly because he didn't want to get involved. He didn't really know what was going on, but from it's effect on the restaurant it was definitely something that would complicate his life. But Mia was right, since people he cared about were getting involved he would inevitably be drawn in too. Might as well do it on his own terms. Grabbing another order, Grant heads back out to wait on more tables, he drops off some food and then goes to take the order of a table of middle-aged women. "Evening ladies, what can a get for you today?" Grant says to them. However he doesn't hear their response, as out of the corner of his eye he sees Jiao talking to Quan. "Oh no..." Grant says aloud. "Excuse me?" one of the ladies responds. "Sorry,"Grant replies, "I will be right back, I'm needed up front." The women clearly looked displeased so Grant added, "I promise I'll get you ladies out of her fast enough to make it back to class." One of the women responded, "Class? We're not college students." Putting on an embarrassed face he responded, "Really? You all look so young, I just assumed you were university students. My apologies." With that Hardlight headed up to the front, thinking That ought to hold them for a while.

Arriving at the hostess stand as Jiao finishes talking, Grant can see the whiteness of Quan's knuckles as he grips the stand tightly in anger. Quickly stepping in he says, "Heeyy guys, you know what would be a great idea? Taking this conversation back to kitchen or your office. Mia can watch the front for a bit, right?"


If needed, Persuasion1d20+4=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4663130/)

Quan is just not going to be appease right now is he?

IronEden
10-01-2014, 04:13 AM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

"Hey, Rex, how's it going? Listen, I'll keep things short since you're so busy, but I've got a man who wants to know what all the beef is about the Jade Falcons today. Half the Golden Phoenix is missing, and I think it has something to do with it. Do this for me, and I think I'll be closer to something really big, some cash cow material. Meet me on the top of the Golden Phoenix tonight at midnight if you know something. You'll get beer and a thousand, at least. More if your tip's good."

He watched the situation at the front counter as he spoke, and he unconsciously massaged his forearm with the memory of Quan Wei's temper. Last time he'd fought with Dragon's Breath the old man got involved himself, and even if he was twice as old as Thomas, it's not hard to make a frying pan hurt.

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Celestial

Dr Wong glanced at the phone with a slight frown and then nods. A long arm reaches out, scooping up a well worn basketball, the surface worn smooth with many touches. "Not sure how much of that would be of interest, ma'am. Grew up in Nebraska." he flashes a bit of a country boy smile, "Times were hard and didn't have many prospects but had a big dream of being a being a doctor when I grew up. Best way was to sign up for a tour or two with the Army and ended up going to NiT and then John Hopkins. While in the Army was involved in a few things that you wouldn't care to be know about but met some of the best guys ever." he glances towards the photo on the wall of a much younger him. "A few things happened, went to work for the VA- I'm still on call there as a specialist- but realized that I could do more to help my brothers working in research finding better solutions to old problems."

His hands continue to play over the well worn sphere, "Lets see, what else.. love teaching, playing basketball." a sheepish grin and putting the ball back on the shelf, "I'm involved in a few disadvantaged and at risk projects." he grins like a little boy, "It's an awesome feeling watching someone's eyes open up when they realize that there's more to the world than the inside of a city."

He laughs, "But, I'm getting off track."

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Samaritan

The braclet thing is shiny, very shiny, catching the light and reflecting it in a beautiful rainbow. The design though isn't anything really special. It's not that much different than the trinket bracelets that go in and out of style, a big hit in mall kiosks. But rather than cheap stamped metal unicorns, rainbows and hearts, it has a soul of its own, artistic in a technological and primitive way. Then again, you've see plenty of times when gear heads put together something that looks really simple and then turns out to be a stun pistol or a flight harness. Could such a creature be capable of that kind of thing?

The dark gleaming eyes start to focus again, staring up at you with confusing, anger and yeah, that's definitely fear. The racoon starts to fidget, in mid air, weakly trying to escape. Probably a good idea to put down somewhere before he hurts himself trying to escape.

You see an area lit up by a street light. A little more surprising, one of the racoon things stands out there, gazing up at you with big eyes. Hands outstretched in a gesture of.. peace? The others that you saw in the nursery stand nearby, cautious but not violent. Well, except for one, it looks like he's about to start frothing at the mouth as he plays with the pistol at his side. No immediate sign of the one that was up on the roof before.

CaptainChaos
10-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Celestial


Celestial

Dr Wong glanced at the phone with a slight frown and then nods. A long arm reaches out, scooping up a well worn basketball, the surface worn smooth with many touches. "Not sure how much of that would be of interest, ma'am. Grew up in Nebraska." he flashes a bit of a country boy smile, "Times were hard and didn't have many prospects but had a big dream of being a being a doctor when I grew up. Best way was to sign up for a tour or two with the Army and ended up going to NiT and then John Hopkins. While in the Army was involved in a few things that you wouldn't care to be know about but met some of the best guys ever." he glances towards the photo on the wall of a much younger him. "A few things happened, went to work for the VA- I'm still on call there as a specialist- but realized that I could do more to help my brothers working in research finding better solutions to old problems."

His hands continue to play over the well worn sphere, "Lets see, what else.. love teaching, playing basketball." a sheepish grin and putting the ball back on the shelf, "I'm involved in a few disadvantaged and at risk projects." he grins like a little boy, "It's an awesome feeling watching someone's eyes open up when they realize that there's more to the world than the inside of a city."

He laughs, "But, I'm getting off track."

Wow! she thought. Intelligent, nice looking, works with disadvantaged kids, does it get any better than this?

"Great stuff Dr. Wong. It's always nice to have a human interest element in my stories. It helps pull the average person in and increases readership. As you know, many publications are struggling for readers these days so by adding the personal element to the story, it helps get people to read it and perhaps learn a little along the way. We both know the more people that get interested in science, the better. All too often I meet people who are only interested in research for how much money they can make off of it. Please continue. Tell me more about yourself and how you decided on your current line of research."


Expertise Reporting, Insight, and Will Save in order: 1d20+12=15, 1d20+2=19, 1d20+8=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4664887/)

kenmadragon
10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan gave the raccoon creature a weak grimace as he noted it was beginning to wake up and struggle. He wasn't too high off the ground, but it could hurt itself trying to wriggle it's way out of his grasp. Didn't really want that to happen. It was a raccoon-thing, but darn it, the little guy could get really hurt. And for whatever reason, Samaritan didn't want that on his plate. It'd give him a bad feeling in the morning, a guilty conscience.

It was curious though, to see another raccoon standing in plain sight under the low glow of a streetlight, waving an arm in a sign of peace. Intruigued, the Samaritan glided down towards them, noting the presence of the other raccoon-creatures. They didn't seem very threatening now (well, there was that one frothing at the mouth, but what can you do?), and besides, there wasn't much they could do that would hurt the Samaritan much.

Feet lightly touching the ground, Samaritan strolled closer till he was under the street light, facing the raccoon on the ground. Slowly he bent, putting the raccoon the blonde girl had tasered onto the ground gently. Once the raccoon was out of his grasp, the Samaritan returned the gesture of peace, wondering what they would do in return.

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Shrike

TRex pauses, coming back with a lot more annoyance than before, "Tinman, since we're friends, I'm going to ignore what you said. I'm sure that you just didn't ask me to stick my neck out, talk about the Falcons in the center of Falcon territory.. and get up on their roof. However, if I hear that kind of *plates rattle* from you again, I might just have to decide that I'm going to forget about our working relationship. You get me? Do you got me?"

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Jiao-long and Grant


Saving the hardest for last. Please put Uncle in the proper James Hong voice.

Uncle Wei flutters a moment, <<Heeeeehhh, you are young and not so stupid. Maybe in a few years you will grow wise. You are not entirely incorrect.>> but rather remarkably doesn't explode... yet.

To Jiao-long's skilled eye in understanding people, Wei is being careful here, trying to coax you into a position of at least tolerance to his side. This also seems to be a few shades more complex than what you suggested but your outline is correct.

Uncle Wei is about to say more when Grant speaks up. There are stories of dragons still the heart with a single glance- they could take lessons from Uncle Wei. The skin goosebumps, the spine shivers, the liver quakes.

"Do you not have tables to attend do <incomprehensible but withering>. If you do not, then I do not have a place for you here."

He sharply grunts and nods, <<Lovely Mia, lazy girl, why are you not at your post!?>> and storms away with a sharp pole though his spine.

He barks a sharp order before disappearing into his office again, "You both, four oclock sharp, in office!"

Mia scampers back to the pedestal, taking back over with her usual smile and calm, determined to see that things get back to a more comfortable flow.

Unfortunately, between the difficulties in service and the later hour, the crowd has mostly dwindled, still heavier but much closer to being back to normal.

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Celestial

Reporting- the other guys in the squad photo look vaguely familiar but you can't place them. Maybe you could find something in the back files but it'd be a challenge to know where to start. Also, a reminder that Dr Primen is also a huge STEM supporter, particularly when it comes to young women. The two fields are pretty far apart, but maybe there's something to that for a later story?

Insight- Yeah, he's being up front and honest. Sometimes too good to be true is the truth.

Dr Wong smiles, "It's a real shame how we're falling behind on the curve when it comes to STEM topics. We have so many bright kids that don't get an opportunity to find out just how bright they can be. I don't have the answers on the big picture, but I try to help where I can. It's one of the big reasons that I picked NiT." he pauses, an actual blush before looking away. Tempted to ask something but..

"I won't lie ma'am. I would absolutely make a lot more money in the private sector in my line of research. I'm also very grateful to the groups that sponsor my work, both private and public. When money and science intermingle, you can come out with some great results. Othertimes, well, you have to make some really hard choices. I've been lucky so far." he reaches out to knock on his desk.

"On how I started in my current area of research.. I've always been amazed at how much we can learn from nature. We're taught from a very young age to think of ourselves as outside of it. It's kinda strange given how we're immersed in it..." and begins an enthusiastic discussion of the area of biomimicry, how in so many areas, from medicine to architecture to electronics, we've been making some incredible strides by looking at nature and learning from it. The world has been developing solutions to problems for thousands, millions of years. We'd be foolish to not look to the masters. While he discusses it, he's able to keep things simple enough to understand, even getting into some pretty deep topics, without making you feel like you're being talked down. Instead, he's having fun taking you on a tour of things that haven't seen before- how cool is that?

IronEden
10-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Shrike shrugged, a gesture he was glad didn't translate over the phone. Undercity types tended to be awful prudes, and Shrike had always imagined that risk-taking was the key to making it in the business. He looked down at his arm at a small rivet that nailed the steel and skin straight to the bone.

"Sure, Rex, I got you. What do you propose instead?"

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Samaritan

The leader racoon tilts his head to the side, lifting his chin slightly.

One of the others steps in slow and steady, taking the groggy (but awakening one) by the arms and tugging him away. He pauses, turns.. and places the highly valued mostly melted Haazenfros chocolate supreme pint down where the body was, before pulling his companion back out.

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Shrike

TRex starts up again, "Please tell me that you're not calling from the Golden Phoenix. Really man, it's dangerous being around you. I might know a few things, what are you lookin to find out? Tell you what, four oclock in the place where we met that one time. Come by yourself, don't bring nobody. Got it?"

kenmadragon
10-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan blinked slightly at the box the apparent leader of the hoodie-wearing-raccoons put down. It looked like a box of ice-cream. Really good ice-cream. It was only a pint, but it seemed like the ice-cream was important enough to the raccoons to be a manner of... payment? A thank you?

"Uh..." Samaritan said, scratching the back of his head, a little unsure of what to do here, as he pointed to the pint of Haazenfros. "I can't take that if it's stolen... Is it stolen?"


You know, that was actually kinda cute...

Spectrum
10-01-2014, 06:45 PM
The racoons back away, offers of peace made but not solidified.

It is very likely that the pint is stolen from the cute girls, the spoils of war. They do have other bits and pieces from the rummaged bags.

IronEden
10-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal


"Not a soul, Rex. I'll make sure nobody follows me. See you there, and by the way - thanks."

Shrike hung up after that, and he spent a moment reflecting. Was he getting too comfortable working out of this place? Taking risks is one thing, being unprofessional is quite another, and the distinction mattered to him. Shrike left cash on the table, tore the waiter's note into a glass of water, and headed out. He had some time to kill, and he spent most of it loitering in crowded places, until finally he grabbed a taxi and took it twenty blocks out from the old marina that Rex liked to use as a drop-zone. It was a run-down hole cluttered with renovation that had never finished, and it was such a lonely building that even the homeless let it be when they could.

Shrike dismounted from the taxi, tipped the driver, and watched the world fade into a swimming mist of red and blue. Walking through the neighborhoods on the way to the marina made him all business, and he ran ambushes through his mind at every alley that he crossed.


OOC: Using the Tracking Heat Vision on the way to the marina to try to make sure he's not being tailed or set up. Also let me know if you want to edit the meeting location.

Weyrd
10-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Hardlight

"Well that....went about as well as I expected." The day wasn't complete if Quan didn't threaten to fire Grant at least once. Turning to Jiao he says, "You sure you want to get yourself wrapped up in all this? Wouldn't your time be better spent, let's say, patching things up with a certain angry blonde," referring to Ariel. "Lord knows that's what I'd be doing."

kenmadragon
10-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Samaritan
HP:1 Cond: Guess it's stolen.

Samaritan looked down at the small pint of Haazenfros as the raccoons began to leave. "Guess that's a yes..." he muttered to himself, before picking it up. Hopefully that'd pacify them. Looking back up at the raccoon-creatures, Samaritan noticed that they were beginning to make their exit. "Hey, wait!" Samaritan called out, moving to follow the raccoons. He still had to figure out what was going on with them - and what that mysterious presence he thought he had felt on the rooftop when the creatures showed up was.

Psistrike
10-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Gizmo Girl

Maria leans into you, completely gushing on in the most fangirlish way possible about how Gizmo Girl is incredibly awesome. Yeah, it's a great ego stroke, but it also really changes the whole direction of the conversation. While it went from a great getting to know you better conversation, a give and take among two equals, it's suddenly all about you, or rather the Gizmo Girl part of you.

"So how do you get your suit to stay in place? Aren't you worried about showing things? Doesn't it get cold?
"When did you first realize that you were, you know, different?

So how does being worshipped feel?
Gizmo Girl
Sighing, Cindy finally spoke up. "Maria, slow down a little. One, I don't wear a costume, it is just my regular outfits. I hide my identity with the implant in my left palm, the one which shorted out and allowed you and that guy to realize it was really me. And, well, I've been a genius from an early age, taking things apart and making other things since the age of 2. I don't get how it works myself, I just understand science and technology easily and can create things centuries beyond current technology. Now enough about me and Gizmo Girl, how about we have that dinner and then dessert." she says with a seductive grin at the last part as she looked into Maria's eyes.

Praetorian Guard
10-02-2014, 03:27 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


<<Heeeeehhh, you are young and not so stupid. Maybe in a few years you will grow wise. You are not entirely incorrect.>> Wei is being careful here, trying to coax you into a position of at least tolerance to his side.

Jiao held himself steady in the face of Uncle Wei's ... praise?!? Unexpected, though now he had to hold himself steady in face of his own pride at having advanced to this level of discourse without offending the older man. As a traditionalist himself, Jiao tended to favor Uncle Wei's position in regards to the direction that Kim-ja was taking with the Jade Falcon's as of late.


He barks a sharp order before disappearing into his office again, "You both, four oclock sharp, in office!"

Ahhh! Threatening to fire Grant, and complaining about Mia's work ethic, that was the Uncle Wei that they all knew. Jiao near bolted from the front of the building to the back, looking at the clock it was only about 1:30 in the afternoon, and despite Grants not so subtle push to smooth things with Ariel, he rushed through the clean up and dinner prep with the small amount of staff they had left. He kept his eyes downcast around Mia, sincerely apologetic for his earlier clumsiness, and only the slight flush he showed at Grant's initial suggestion showed a lack of composure from Jiao.

By 2 o'clock Jiao was done with his prep at which he near flew up the stairs to his apartment, he checked for any messages from Doctor Primen, in regards to their earlier discussion, or his request in regards to obtaining seating for her Glimpse of Tomorrow presentation for later next week. After doing so he showered quickly, cleaning the smell of food, and grease, and sweet and sour sauce from him, then entered his garden.

In the corner was his Muk Yan Jung, a thick cylinder of polished wood, supported by natural tree branches, bent at almost a ninety degree angle, with the knot of wood similar to a knee joint. The front of the cylinder had several worn wooden pegs, varying in length from one to one and a half feet long. As he removed the coat from the pegs, most people mistook it for a coat rack and he did nothing to dissuade their ignorance, he smiled at the sheen of the wood, polished smooth after countless strikes, counter strikes, and blocking parries. One of the few treasures he had been able to take with him through the Seven Gates. He stripped his shirt, revealing a very well toned physique, his muscles flexed and relaxed sending a ripple across the dragon that covered his chest and left shoulder, the flame of it's mouth glowing slightly as if from within. The events of today had caused his neck and shoulders to tighten, to loosen them and relieve the tension his body and mind were feeling he slipped into his forms. Golden Dragon plays with Water. Coiled Snake shoots Venom. One Finger Tao stabilizes the Empire. Two Tigers appear from Cave. Fierce Tiger strikes across the Grass. Precious Crane waits amid the Lotus. Black Tiger steals the Heart.

He falters. Again. Faster. He can almost hear Master Shi Xing Shien. Calm your chi, it rages from you like a waterfall, slow it to a trickle, focus it. Again. Faster. Again he falters, his left arm a fraction of an inch out of position. Ariel. Damn.

Looking at the clock, he sees it's almost four o'clock. He quickly throws on a dark long sleeved shirt, once again covering the dragon and spend the next fifteen minutes trimming some of his herbs before heading back down to Uncle Wei's office. Arriving in the hall outside his office precisely at four o'clock, his skin near glowing from the exertions of his rapid and intensive exercise, a single bead of sweet working it's way down his spine causing him to shiver unexpectedly.

Weyrd
10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Hardlight

Grant continued to work the rest of the day. Compared to the lunch rush it was pretty uneventful. At four o'clock he met up with Jiao outside Quan's office. The kid looked as if he had just come from some kind of intensive physical work out. Was it possible?....probably not, but he had to ask (if only just to mess with him.) "Please make my day and tell me you just came from carrying out my earlier advice," he said with a devilish grin.

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Samaritan

The leader racoon's lips curl back, showing teeth, as you try to make this.. complicated. But, given the situation, he doesn't snarl yet. More of a warning rather than a threat.

A step back
Another
Trying to fade back into the shadows

Still no sign of the presence on the rooftop.


If you want to follow, it'll get into some pretty high awareness rolls pretty quickly. Do you want to keep going? Do you have a sneakier way of tracking them?

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Gizmo Girl

Maria stares down at your wrist, reaching out to play with your bracelet herself. She pauses, looking up into your eyes, thoughtful, "Yes, yes that sounds.. super!" Her fingers linger upon the bracelet, only drawing away when you do.


Up to you when we fade to black for the night. Pick up the next morning?

Psistrike
10-04-2014, 06:14 PM
[OOC: Just a few things, she isn't wearing a bracelet, it is a sub-dermal implant in the palm of her left hand, she has a minor burn mark on the palm of her hand due to it shorting out now. And yes, we can fade to black for the night and pick up in the morning.]

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Jiao-long

A message is waiting for you upon your phone, tapping it..

"Mr Han, this is Doctor Primen. I am interested in discussing this new balance with you at your earliest convenience. I have requested that a reserved ticket be sent to your friend. Thank you."

*beep*

"Jiao-long, we need to meet, we have things to discuss." the voice is Kim-ja's and while he tries to keep his normal, a touch of worry rests under the bullish bravado.

As you work upon the Muk Yan Jang, the legend echoes through your mind for a brief second. It is said that the wise and powerful spirit of Xiaolongnü slumbers within the aged wood. Many have tried, but none have been able to awaken it since it went to rest in the Song Dynasty. Only through great fortune and hard luck has it withstood the difficult ages since.

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 06:39 PM
The Golden Phoenix

Standing in front of Wei's office is never pleasant. It is the foyer to one of the Realms of Hell- the much suffering disciplinarian. The door remains closed though there are soft noises inside, signs of life, but do you dare enter?

There is both preciseness of time and the consequences of disturbing important work to consider. Many choices, none of them correct.

The answer is made easier by a sharp bark from the other side of the door, spoken in the native language, not a word of of English, "I can hear you whispering like schoolgirls! Come in!"

The office is cluttered, relics from the East and the West with a focus upon quality. If someone was so inclined, a small fortune could be made from looting the place. The flow of energy is tightly focused, the power pressing towards the man behind the desk, leaving everyone else at a sharp disadvantage. A hundred small mirrors make it that much harder to hind anything.

A click of a remote control, the television show ending bringing an uncomfortable silence.

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Shrike

The Marina is busy as usual, a constant flow of boats coming in or leaving- making it one of the better places to do business of an illicit nature. It also makes it a popular place for a police presence. Between the two, it's safe as long as you know what you're doing and are respectful about it.

It would make sense that T-Rex would want to meet you on one of the boats. But that's one of the things about the man, he loves the water.. not so much with being on the water. Instead, it's in one of the little garages, where he's hanging out with his crew.

T-Rex grins an overlarge smile, having had special surgery for the lips to make the maw even larger, a mouthful of sharply jagged shark fangs. "So, you wanted to talk to me Tinman?"

kenmadragon
10-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan hesitated when he saw the raccoon-creature leader bare it's teeth. Retracting his hand, Samaritan grimaced slightly as he noted that the amity they had shown in offering the ice cream for their fellow as temporary - solely for the return of the raccoon-creature the blonde girl had mercilessly tasered. Which, sort of disheartened Samaritan. They certainly weren't about to let him follow them, nor did he suppose that he could follow them without being noticed. The grimace turned into a sigh as he realized that there wasn't much else he could do at this point. He had to let them go... but the Samaritan wouldn't forget. No, he would find them again - he was sure of it.


Yeah, no way I'm going to be making a bunch of high Awareness rolls for perception/insight continuously. My luck on the boards is good (sadly not so in RL games) but not that good. And I don't have any subtle ways to track them beyond Investigation... And my Investigation is barely even mediocre.

Spectrum
10-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Samaritan

Mixed signals abound. Sometime later when checking your pockets, you find that bracelet that you were examining earlier.

kenmadragon
10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan had been floating home, a little dejected and exhausted by the whole thing. It was beginning to get late, and he felt a little weary in the mind from the whole thing. Sticking his hands in his pocket as he stared up at the stars, Samaritan frowned. THere was something in his pocket he didn't remember normally being there. He was usually rather particular about what was in his pockets, and something was touching his skin. Poking the skin, but it didn't hurt - nothing small ever did - Samaritan felt around before his memory dawned on him. Pulling it out, Samaritan found the bracelet in all it's strangeness.

"Guess it's better than nothing..." Samaritan said with a shrug before he began to push buttons, trying to figure out how to work the strange device.


Almost forgot about that...

Praetorian Guard
10-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


"Please make my day and tell me you just came from carrying out my earlier advice."

Jiao almost flushed under the weight of Grant's good natured jibe. "I," he paused thinking of a plausibly excuse, "errr," nothing immediately came to mind, and he was more than concerned about the damage Mia may have caused him in regards to any future relationship with Ariel, "No." He shifted his weight nervously from foot to foot, the message from Kim-ja weighed on him, he didn't wish to divide his loyalties. In most respects Jiao agreed with Uncle Wei's view of the Falcons, but with Kim-ja pushing for more respect and prestige from the community he had gathered the gang to him. His motivation was admirably, but Kim's ambition could make him reckless, and begin to trap him in obligations to unsavory persons.


"I can hear you whispering like schoolgirls! Come in!"

At Uncle Wei's voice cracking like a whip, Jiao was jarred back to the present. He reflected a moment on the various antiquities, a mix of east and west, coupled with mirrors set at windows and entryways in a feng shui pattern meant to ward away evil spirits. "We are here Uncle Wei, as requested." He bowed his head slightly in respect towards the man.

Weyrd
10-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Hardlight

Jiao's response to Grant's ribbing him was hilarious. He was so entertained from it he really didn't mind when Quan compared them to school girls. Grant follow Jiao into the office and shut the door behind them. If Quan stared yelling his voice would carry through the whole restaurant (and whenever Quan called Grant into his office there was usually some yelling.) He watched as Jiao bowed in respect to Quan. This kid seemed to be the very definition of a straight arrow, he really hoped Quan had called him in here to tell him to stay out of this situation. This kid deserved more than to get involved in stuff that could end up giving him a record of some sort. "You wanted to see us, boss-man?" Grant asked.

Spectrum
10-06-2014, 02:20 PM
A Lecture Hall at NiT
Samaritan, Gizmo Girl

NiT has a reputation as one of the finest schools when it comes to studying technology and the sciences. It ranks consistently at the top when it comes to the credentials of its staff, the research its involved in and the quality of it's student body.

Unfortunately, even at this esteemed institution, there are exceptions. Ethics 1101 with Professor Morrison is one of them. It's one of those classes that every student is required to take, 150-200 students packed in a conference hall and the professor knows it and doesn't really care. He's about as exciting as watching paint dry on top of the same color of paint. Class attendance isn't even really required, only accounting for a tiny bit of the semester's grade. The students in the class are somewhere between having given up on raising their hands and actively mocking him- it doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way, he just keeps droning.The TAs aren't much better.

Today is a test day. More correctly, it's a 'string random words into meaningless sentences that sound good' days. Which means that you're both invited to be here, crammed in like sardines with other students.

Aren't you two lucky that you're here?

Spectrum
10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
The Golden Phoenix

Quan arches a brow at Grant before turning his attention towards Jiao-long, before beginning to speak in his tightly measured native tongue. It is unsaid that Grant is lucky to have Jiao-long there to translate if Grant is not wise enough to learn a proper language. "We have been blessed with a great opportunity by the scholars here. They have invited us to prepare the feast for a coming meeting of the minds." he strokes over his chin, "Competitors have been given this honor before but we shall do better!" his palm slams to the table.

"We shall come together to humble them for their lack of wisdom in not choosing us first!"

He snorts, his nostrils starting to flare. His hand moves smoothly, bringing his pipe to his lips before breathing out a snake's tail of smoke.

"We must be careful though. Our enemies lie in wait and have started to take advantage of the situation."

Another pauses, fingernails clickclickclicking upon the table.

"Kim-ja is very young and thinks that he pays more respect than he does. He forgets that the Middle Kingdom is not the People's Republic of China, for he never knew. There is important difference! There are reasons that we are not there now. Their influence is not welcome."

Another breath, another ring of smoke dancing in the air.

"Their business will bring ruin and Kim-ja shows disrespect to his ancestors, to me! by not saying no."

He glares at both of you, his white caterpillar eyebrows twitching, "Will you show him the error in his path or shall you stay out of the way? Decide now!"

kenmadragon
10-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Dexter sighed - or groaned, who could tell? - as he sat in his assigned seat in the middle of this seat of students. Nearly every student who had the class was in the hall to take the test, filling up every other seat. Pencil eraser tapping against the side of the seat, Dexter fidgeted as he tried to get over the fact that he had to take this darn test and do well. Honestly, ethics. Nobody really studied for the class, and mostly just B-S-ed the homework. But that wasn't likely to work for an exam that made up most of one's grade. And Dexter had to do well. There was no other option - his parents would kill him if he didn't live up to their expectations.

Granted, they wouldn't (or rather, couldn't, but wouldn't was what Dexter thought about) literally murder their son, but they would make his life a living hell, and Dexter didn't want them on his case. So - do well on the test... Damn it, why isn't the darn thing starting yet? Soooooo boooooring...

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Samaritan

You blink a moment and you realize that you're looking down at the next level.. a cute blonde, a really cute blonde sitting there. Well, at least the back of her head is cute.

Your smartpad chimes, the test has begun. The first few questions are pretty much gimmies. If you had attended any of the classes or done any of the reading, they should all be pretty obvious. A quick glance up and apparently these questions are hard, really hard for some people around you. Unfamiliar faces too. Hopefully, that just means that they really didn't take the class seriously rather than you underestimating the complexity of the questions.

And then you get to one that is a little more challenging:

Explain the concept of noblesse oblige in relation to at least three other moral philosophies that we have discussed in class.

Not a really difficult question, but one the concept really didn't come up anywhere before.

Psistrike
10-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Gizmo Girl
Cindy simply recalled what she had read on the subject and mentally went through the task of working out the appropriate answers to the test, one after another. She really wished this wasn't a required course, despite her being a superhero sometimes and having snuck out as a teen, her parents drilled into her ethics and morals from an early age. Including to think before she built something that could be used as a weapon, mind control device, or other dangerous creations.

Well, there was that one time she tried to make a device that would allow others to replay memories like the device from Meet the Robinsons and erased 10 years of her mom's memories, took a week to fix that and was weird for her to think you were still 4. But that was due to a faulty part from the computer store, one which had been returned 3 times already.

She was finished long before the other students but would wait to turn her test paper in when it was time. Knowing she couldn't bring out a book or electronic device in class, she simply closed her eyes and worked on various computations and mental blueprints for numerous new inventions she was planning or already working on, waiting for class to end.

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 03:22 PM
x

Cindy, may I please have an insight roll?

Psistrike
10-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Gizmo Girl
[OOC: Insight Roll: 1d20+1=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4672362/). Yeah, going to have her put some points into that as soon as possible. A bit gullible for a super heroine.]

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Gizmo Girl


I'm sure that there wasn't anything important during the test. So what's next? Set a scene. :)

IronEden
10-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Shrike's eyes swept over the room.

"Hey, Rex. Nice place, as always. Allow me to be brief with this. I've got a man who has information on somebody who's worth a lot of money, but he's got his own little mix-up with the Jade Falcons. Family business, I think. Long and short of it is that he wants to know what the Jade Falcons are doing, and why nobody's showing up to work." Shrike produced a small stack of hundreds and fanned them slightly. It wasn't a comfortable gesture in a room crowded with these kinds of people, but it was a necessary part of business. "I've got your cash right here, and if your information's good, the leads I've got coming are going to make some money you're going to want a part of. So tell me, Rex. What've you got?"


OOC: Our backstory has Shrike knowing that Dr. Sing is up to some hijinx. Even if he doesn't have a bounty on him, Shrike has acquired the idea that if nothing happens at the NIT conference, he might be able to use Dragon Breath's information to frame the Doctor and cash in big time.

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 04:55 PM
TRex
cond: Great big head, tiny little arms

TRex shrugs, "Hey, I just thought that you were looking for a job. Word on the streets is that something big is going to happen during the egghead convention and that several parties are interested. Lots of guys lookin for work." he frowns towards his guys, "Some of my more.. enterprising guys thought that they would get a job but were turned down for being too.." airquotes "unprofessional."

He chomps his metallic jaws, "I hear some guy is in from China, looking to hire too. The Falcons might have gotten mixed up with that. Their leader better be careful. If the other gangs don't kill him, the old man just might do it for them."

kenmadragon
10-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Dexter stared at the question before him. "Noblesse Oblige"? He hadn't heard about that in class... was it in the book reading? He never really did the reading. There wasn't enough time for it... Eh, let's see what you could do when you B-S-ed your answers. But you needed to know what to BS about first.

Noblesse sounded like a fancy way of saying "Noble". Or "Bless You". Could just be another language, so... "Nobles Oblige"? "Nobility Oblige"? "Obligation of Nobility"? That sounded right. So, what could it be about? The duties of being a nobleman? There wasn't much in the way of nobility these days - England still Knighted people, didn't they though? Maybe it was something about what nobles had to do... Oblige... That sounds like a responsibility or something. Like, something you owe to someone else... Was it about owing allegiance to a leader? No, the nobility were the ruling class, so who were nobles beholden to? Some manner of God or Higher Power? Unlikely - this was Ethics 1101, not Theology (though the two felt similar at times). So who? The common person?

Wait a second... that could be it. The obligation of nobility... the purpose of a nobleman is to rule the common people. They had power to wield over others, but maybe it was some sort of responsiblity that they wielded power for the people they held power over. That sounded right.

Furiously writing on the smartpad, Samaritan began to mouth the words as he wrote, making up the answer as he wrote while trying to use his prodigious memory to remember what philosophies were discussed in class.

"The concept of 'Noblesse Oblige' comes from the idea that the nobility - or aristocracy, or ruling class, or any with power, influence, position, and/or privelege - have an obligation to the people they rule. This obligation is akin to a responsibility that the nobility must use the powers available to them in service of those without that power themselves. Thus, one with wealth should use that wealth to aid the impoverished. One with Power of Position - like a King - is obligated to use the power of King to benefit the 'peasants' and under-classed. One with influence over others should use that influence to aid others. It is not simply an ideal that those with power - these Noblesse - should aspire to. Noblesse Oblige is meant to describe how power comes with responsiblity, and that with the posession of power comes the responsiblity that such power is meant to be used in certain ways. This relates to...."

... And so Dexter kept writing, trying his best to make it sound like he knew what he was talking about. He thought he did. It sounded a lot like why he had become the Samaritan. Heck, it was sort of funny, thinking about that. Here he was, a superhero, one with powers and thus the responsibility to help others with his powers, answering an ethics question about power and responsibility...

Well, he hoped he guessed the definition of Noblesse Oblige right...

CaptainChaos
10-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Celestial

Kate was enthralled by Dr. Wong. He was charming and had the rare ability to explain difficult concepts in words that the everyday person could understand. This was going to be a good story. No, a great story. She could just picture the words flowing from her fingertips as they danced across the keyboard. Maybe it wasn't as poetic as the old timers speak of when they used actual pencils and paper when they interviewed people. How barbaric those times must have been. How did the world survive before digital recorders and cell phones?

"Dr. Wong, your research sounds incredibly interesting. Would it be possible to go out with you sometime? You know, to discuss your research some more?" Kate asked the wonderful man in front of her.

God, I sound like a lovestruck teenager. Pull it together Kate. Remember, you're a professional, act like one. a voice in her head reminded her.

"I'm sorry if that sounded wrong. I really am interested in hearing more about your research. The implications of the benefits to mankind are astonishing."

Praetorian Guard
10-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


"We must be careful though. Our enemies lie in wait and have started to take advantage of the situation." Another pauses, fingernails clickclickclicking upon the table. "Kim-ja is very young and thinks that he pays more respect than he does. He forgets that the Middle Kingdom is not the People's Republic of China, for he never knew. There is important difference! There are reasons that we are not there now. Their influence is not welcome." Another breath, another ring of smoke dancing in the air. "Their business will bring ruin and Kim-ja shows disrespect to his ancestors, to me! by not saying no." He glares at both of you, his white caterpillar eyebrows twitching, "Will you show him the error in his path or shall you stay out of the way? Decide now!"

As Jiao tried to piece together Uncle Wei's meandering thoughts, he started to see a disturbing pattern. At first he thought his reference to enemies lying inw ait referred to competition for the catering business at the GiT conference, then as he began to speak of the Middle Kingdom and the People's Republic Jiao began to look at it in a different light. Kim-ja was forgetting that the world, or Middle Kingdom, was not just the People's Republic, for Kim did not live long in mainland China. That distinction was important to Wei for some reason. Agents of the People's Republic were bringing business, perhaps to Kim-ja, and by not declining this offer from certain Chinese representatives Wei feels as though he were being disrespected by the Jade Falcons, and their leader.

As Uncle Wei demanded their help to convince Kim-ja of the errors of his pre-conceptions, Jiao realized that he may not be able to successfully complete this task without calling on the Dragon Spirit contained within the tattoo that branded his chest and shoulder. And to do so would reveal himself to Grant, and while he trusted the older man, he didn't know him well enough to reveal the entire truth. Yet.

But to decline would cause him to incur the wrath of Wei, and he didn't want to stir that dragon if he could avoid it.

"I could speak with Mia again Uncle Wei, and see if she knows a way to contact Kim-ja, we could certainly try to talk to him if only we knew exactly what was going on ..." He let his voice trail off quietly, hoping Grant would pick up the line of discussion. By making a show of helping Uncle Wei, it would allow the Dragon's Breath to confront the leader of the Jade Falcons and hopefully turn him from his path before a greater tragedy occurred.

Hopefully Shrike could dig up some information, if only Jiao could figure out how he was going to pay the man.

He swallowed hard as he thought of another confrontation with the cybernetic mercenary, though he hoped that Grant and Wei took it as fear of the lecture that had just been delivered to them.


OOC: Insight check to determine Uncle Wei's concerns and fears regarding Kim-ja and the situation he described. (1d20+11=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4672460/) Not great, but I just hope that Jiao's meekness hasn't pissed him off! P.S. Incoming Private Message!

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Samaritan

Time is quickly burning and already a third of the class has left the testing room, either smirking or in frustration. What do they know that you don't? At least the cute blonde in front of you is still there.

A few more easily questions pass. With the way that this test is structure, it's impossible to tell how many are left until the test is completed. Impossible to properly weight time.

What does it mean for something to have sentience? What obligations and rights does that entail?

A few more simple questions.

Discuss using at least three philosophies the ethics of receiving stolen goods for services rendered?

A few more easy questions. Time has run out.

"Submit your results now. Pads down!" a weak voice comes from the front of the room, and the pad freezes.

The cute blonde in front of you puts her pad down, seemingly content. The few other people in the room blink as they look up, desperate for more time.

kenmadragon
10-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Dexter groaned when the proctor called the end of the test. Didn't even finish answering all the questions... How the hell was someone supposed to be able to answer all these questions? There were so many that weren't even covered in the lectures... A lot of weird questions too. Were those topics even covered in the book? What the hell?...

A frustrated grimace on his face, Dexter sighed as he leaned his head back, thinking back on the test. There were certainly a lot of questions. Hadn't expected the Ethics test to have that many. How had the other students gotten out so early? Studying? For sooooo many questions? Sure, a bunch of them were easy, but a lot of them made him think... about that last weekend actually. Maybe he shouldn't have been thinking about those raccoon-creatures in the middle of the test. It still bugged him that he didn't know what was up with them. Was that it? Yeah, he was just distracted. Stupid lack of focus... but hey, at least there was a pretty blonde girl sitting in front of him. That was an upside, right? They had these same seats for every exam for this class, so for the next exam he could admire the back of her head again... Wow, that sounded creepy, even in his head.

Dexter sighed, mentally exhausted.

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Celestial

Did that man actually blush when you asked him out. "I, err, well.. yes ma'am, Ms Ory, Kate. Yes, I'd like to discuss things further." Once more he reaches for his basketball, running his hands over the surface as a reassuring gesture. "I was going to ask earlier, but I thought that professional journalism ethics wouldn't make it possible until later. Not that you're unethical! Or unprofessional." he straightens himself, slipping back into that boyscout charm. "Yes, that would be great."

He thinks a moment, "Well, in order to keep this, professional, do you already have plans regarding to upcoming Glimpse of Tomorrow? That could allow us to discuss matters further."

Wow, did he just manage to turn the adorkable good guy charm up to 11? Why yes, I think that he just did.

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Samaritan

The girl in front of you sighs, shaking her head. One hand reaching up to rub over her eyes. "Was that test incredibly difficult for you too? I don't know how the rest of the class managed to get out so quickly?" (a familiar voice?) Without turning around she starts packing her bag back up, soon followed by sliding two crutches into position.

With her constant grin, Ariel turns back to you, "So, Dexter right? What did you think of the test?"

IronEden
10-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Shrike
HP: 1 Condition: Intrigued

Shrike eyed the man with a new optimism. "Well," he began, "the conference wasn't the subject of my visit, but I happen to have a security gig, and my gut tells me that something big's happening inside. What do you know about it? And what's this about the guy from China? If the Falcons are mixed up with him, my client'll want to know more about it."

Spectrum
10-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Shrike

TRex grins, "Now that'll cost you some more. Lots of things moving around on the higher.. *sneers* professional level, but not much filtering down to where I live. I could do some hunting, but it'd be pretty risky." fishing for money, a whole lot more money. While you did score big the last few times, it's a feast or famine environment where you're only as good as your last payoff. Still.. there might be something really big in all of this, if you can just find the right way in.

CaptainChaos
10-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Celestial


Celestial

Did that man actually blush when you asked him out. "I, err, well.. yes ma'am, Ms Ory, Kate. Yes, I'd like to discuss things further." Once more he reaches for his basketball, running his hands over the surface as a reassuring gesture. "I was going to ask earlier, but I thought that professional journalism ethics wouldn't make it possible until later. Not that you're unethical! Or unprofessional." he straightens himself, slipping back into that boyscout charm. "Yes, that would be great."

He thinks a moment, "Well, in order to keep this, professional, do you already have plans regarding to upcoming Glimpse of Tomorrow? That could allow us to discuss matters further."

Wow, did he just manage to turn the adorkable good guy charm up to 11? Why yes, I think that he just did.

Kate was nearly blushing herself. Sure it had been a long time since she had been on a date but not that long. Okay, maybe those weren't dates in the normal sense of the word. More like one-night stands than actual dates. Memories of her last steady boyfriend surfaced and she suddenly began to doubt her actions.

That was back in college and anyway, this guy is soooo much better than that. He's smart, charming, and donates his time to charity. What more can a girl ask for in a man? Okay, maybe if he had superpowers so they could go fight criminals together but hey, a girl can't have everything.

"Oh um, the Glimpse of Tomorrow talks? I heard they were coming up and I've always wanted to attend them. Besides, Dr. Primen is going to be one of the speakers and I've never had a chance to sit in on any of her lectures or seminars. I would love to go with you! I mean, yes, that would be a great opportunity for us to continue discussing your research. Should I pick you up, meet there, or will you come get me?"

Kate reminded herself to call Sandra and thank her profusely for setting up this interview for her. Kate was even briefly tempted to refuse payment for the assignment but the knowledge of upcoming bills talked her out of it.

kenmadragon
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Huh?" Dexter said when the blonde girl spoke up. The voice sounded familiar, but he couldn't exactly place it. Was she talking to him? Glancing about, Dexter figured she must have been. He was the only one around her that hadn't already left. Confused for a moment, Dexter began to rummage through his own backpack, quickly stuffing stuff in so he could leave. He didn't really want to think about the test or stick around, but hey, pretty blond girl initiated conversation with him! That was new! Bold new territory!

And then she got the crutches out and turned to face him. And called him by name. "Yeah, uh..." he managed to say, pausing slightly because he didn't actually remember the girl's name. The crutches had jogged his memory, and he remembered seeing her before, but he couldn't really remember her name. He was usually better at remembering faces than names. He quickly covered up the awkwardness of having forgotten the girl's name by continuing to talk, like he was just thinking of what to say. "Yeah, definitely hard. Er, I mean, it was weird. There were a lot of tough questions and stuff. Didn't think it'd be that hard. Did he even lecture about some of those questions?"

Weyrd
10-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.



As Jiao tried to piece together Uncle Wei's meandering thoughts, he started to see a disturbing pattern. At first he thought his reference to enemies lying inw ait referred to competition for the catering business at the GiT conference, then as he began to speak of the Middle Kingdom and the People's Republic Jiao began to look at it in a different light. Kim-ja was forgetting that the world, or Middle Kingdom, was not just the People's Republic, for Kim did not live long in mainland China. That distinction was important to Wei for some reason. Agents of the People's Republic were bringing business, perhaps to Kim-ja, and by not declining this offer from certain Chinese representatives Wei feels as though he were being disrespected by the Jade Falcons, and their leader.

As Uncle Wei demanded their help to convince Kim-ja of the errors of his pre-conceptions, Jiao realized that he may not be able to successfully complete this task without calling on the Dragon Spirit contained within the tattoo that branded his chest and shoulder. And to do so would reveal himself to Grant, and while he trusted the older man, he didn't know him well enough to reveal the entire truth. Yet.

But to decline would cause him to incur the wrath of Wei, and he didn't want to stir that dragon if he could avoid it.

"I could speak with Mia again Uncle Wei, and see if she knows a way to contact Kim-ja, we could certainly try to talk to him if only we knew exactly what was going on ..." He let his voice trail off quietly, hoping Grant would pick up the line of discussion. By making a show of helping Uncle Wei, it would allow the Dragon's Breath to confront the leader of the Jade Falcons and hopefully turn him from his path before a greater tragedy occurred.

Hopefully Shrike could dig up some information, if only Jiao could figure out how he was going to pay the man.

He swallowed hard as he thought of another confrontation with the cybernetic mercenary, though he hoped that Grant and Wei took it as fear of the lecture that had just been delivered to them.

Hardlight

Again with the cryptic answers, Grant thought. For some reason the wise old man speaking in riddles seem cool in all the old Kung-Fu movies, but when Quan did it, it made Grant want to scream. It's possible something was being lost in Jiao's translation, but it seemed like Quan was suggesting that the Jade Falcons had something planned for the conference this weekend. Although whether that thing was serving superior egg rolls or something less...legal, Grant was having a tough time discerning. He could see the discomfort Jiao was displaying and couldn't blame him. The kid seemed pretty innocent. Probably the only reason Quan was trying to rope Jiao into this was because he had befriended Mia and she was worried.

Sighing, Grant responds, "And just how far do you want your deliveryman and part-time waiter to go to convince him of the error of his ways. If this was something that could be resolved through talking you'd have fixed it by now. The Falcons respect you more than almost anyone around here. If they're not listening to you know then they must have their minds set on this." Stepping closer the Quan, he addresses him in a lower voice, "Look, I have no problem taking care of...special jobs for the restaurant, but don't get him too wrapped up in this mess," he says, motioning with his head towards Jiao. "He may have an 'old soul', but he's still just 19. He should be concerning himself with girls and parties and taking some classes...in that order. What do you say you let him step out, have Mia put him in contact with Kim-ja so he can give him his two cents, for what good it will do, and in meantime you can level with me on what really is going on." Most people were too scared of Quan to talk to him in such a straight forward manner, but Grant and Quan had an understanding. Quan may treat Grant like a good for nothing slacker and Grant may treat Quan like he's a doddering old fool, but in reality Quan knows that Grant is a man of good character that always comes through for him in a pinch and Grant knows that Quan is wise even beyond his years (which is saying a lot considering how many years Quan has behind him.)

IronEden
10-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Shrike
Hero Points: One Condition: Normal


Shrike looked at T-rex with an expression that was all business, but he couldn't hide the flash in his eyes. There was a tightness in his stomach, a low thrill of a new hunt, and even if he was professional about it, Shrike was getting excited. "I'm all about hunting, Rex. I want in. I've got you covered for some money up-front, and I've got your back when the real digging starts. Muscle, place, you name it. You can even use my face, but you've got to keep me close on this one. We're working on rumor right now, but if you find pay-dirt, we'll split it even. You'll make a lot more money that way."


OOC: Unsure if he can trust T-rex with a lot of money up-front, Shrike is testing the veracity of his fixer by trying to get him to agree to a commission. It'd cost Shrike some more at the end of it, but it would keep Rex on track since he wouldn't be able to walk away with all the money mid-investigation. Shrike's still willing to pay up front, of course, in the several-thousand range. Also, does Rex's gang have any cars nearby?

Spectrum
10-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Celestial

With the fantasy about superheroing together, the eye is drawn back to the picture of his squad. Something strikes you as familiar again.

It takes a while, a good give and take, in the discussion of just how to get to the conference. Each has their awkward points. It turns out that he doesn't drive but uses the local area transit service. Meeting up seems so impersonal. So, in the end, the best option is for you to pick him up.

An alarm charms upon his desk. "Unfortunately, that means that I need to take my leave. We're about to discuss different ways that the Golden Ratio manifests throughout the natural world and art and how we're continuing to use it into the future." He reaches out to shake your hand, "It's been a pleasure Ms Ory." His hand, and eyes, linger even as the two drift apart.

As you put away your phone, you see that you have a message from Dr. Sing while you were in the middle of that great conversation.

message: "Kate, how's my favorite intrepid reporter? I have first row center tickets to Dr Primen's lecture, including meet and greet. Call me back to discuss when I'll pick you up."

Spectrum
10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Samaritan

Ariel pauses, a touch of annoyance crossing her eyes, before she brightens back up, "Ariel. You probably don't recognize me without Emma in tow." her eyes twinkle in mischief, "Sorry! Anyways, I think you're right, he didn't discuss half of that. He definitely didn't get into that whole sins of the father and predestination stuff. I wonder where that came from."

No, nothing like that in your version of the test.

Watching your reaction, she tilts her head, "I'm starting to wonder just how many different versions of the test were prepared."

kenmadragon
10-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Uh, yeah, Sorry..." Dexter blushed, thoroughly embarrassed his lapse in memory hadn't been overlooked. Really. That sort of thing gets to a guy, and it still wasn't registering. The name "Emma" definitely sounded familiar, but once again, names and faces eluded him. And there seemed to be an innuendo in her tone that he didn't get. Of course, he definitely didn't remember seeing anything about what she was talking about on his test, and it must have shown.

"Three?" Dexter guessed with a shrug.

Spectrum
10-08-2014, 06:00 PM
The Golden Phoenix
Uncle Wei grunts as he looks back and forth between you two, his caterpillar eyebrows doing an intricate dance upon his forehead. "Why are you two still here? It is very simple, you will need help catering the egghead meeting- unless you wish to do it by yourselves? Verrrry brave. Not wise, but very brave. You may be very hard workers after all! There may be a big bonus in your next paychecks. Or there may be thefabled pink slips if you fail."

He turns back towards his old television and soon the delightful theme song to Jeopardy can be heard as he turns to ignore both young men.

He's old, he's cranky, he doesn't need to be rational he just needs things to happen at his beck and call.


T-Rex

TRex paused for a moment before nodding his head, "Yeah, yeah, we're in. Let me find out some more and tell you know what the price is. It won't come cheap, but I know you're good for it. To get things started, how about you put up.. for expenses of course." the number is unreasonable, he's clearly gouging you, but it's also a number that you can afford. The scent of blood is in the air.

.. and soon the smell of nasty exhaust as a big old metallic purple Uboat of a car comes screeching in. A massive man with dark purple spiked dreads, flying every direction, steps out. The massive man looks you up and down with a sneer, "Tinman." Great, the beef of the group- Tops.


Anything anybody wants to do before your meeting?

Spectrum
10-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Ariel

Ariel sighed inwardly. What was it today about cute guys being totally dense. First Jiao had that complete Chinese tramp laying all over him and now Emma's on again off again cuteboy doesn't even recognize her. Must be something in the water. Only possible explanation.

She laughs, "You must be right Dexter. Three copies. I'll see you next class Dexter."

kenmadragon
10-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Or four, who knows. Could even be twelve!" Dexter tried to joke, if only to save himself from the situation of embarassment. Maybe a joke would make it up, he figured. At least, he hoped it would save himself. She was laughing, but he wasn't sure if it was because of the joke. But she was leaving, so Dexter just said with a wave of good-bye, "Yeah, sure. Definitely. See ya later, Ariel."

Weyrd
10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Hardlight

So even though this was a spat of his own making, Quan was putting this on his shoulders (technically Jiao's too, but hopefully not for long) to smooth over. Yeah, that seemed about right for him. After leaving the office he turns to Jiao, "Look, I'm going to be honest with you. I don't think you should get involved in this stuff. Quan is trying to play it off like this is as simple as saying pretty please when asking them to come work the catering gig, but I don't buy it. I can't shake the feeling that whoever this person from China the Falcons have gotten involved with is, he is not of the best character and Quan knows it. Call it a hunch. So how about you work your charms on Mia, it's obvious she considers you more...responsible than me, to get the location of the Falcons current hangout and then leave the rest to me. If you really want to help you can ask Ariel if any of her university friends might want to make a quick buck helping with the catering. You know, as a sort of plan B, in case I can't get the Falcons to see reason. Deal?"


Jiao doesn't really need to ask Ariel anything. This just gives Jiao a possible out for him not showing up, but Dragon's Breath making an appearance (although Grant doesn't know that and is doing it to try and keep Jiao out of trouble with the law).

Praetorian Guard
10-09-2014, 03:13 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

As Jiao listened to Grant's suggest that he stand back from dealings with the Jade Falcon's he was concerned. Grant obviously felt as though the Jade's Falcon's negotiations were going to be illicit, and as such was trying to protect Jiao from the consequences of getting involved. Though touched by his concern, the thought did enter through his mind, as to why Grant felt he was more equipped to handle that risk while dealing with the gang's activities.

Yet his solution was elegant, it would allow Jiao to help meaningfully by getting Kim's location, without overly involving himself. Or at least without involving Jiao-long, Dragon's Breath could very well be required in this situation, or at least be there in case Grant was putting himself in danger. He knew Mia was upset with him over his clumsiness at lunch and he didn't wish to deal with that situation now, but how to locate Kim-ja. Then he remembered.


"Jiao-long, we need to meet, we have things to discuss." the voice is Kim-ja's and while he tries to keep his normal, a touch of worry rests under the bullish bravado.

As he and Grant stood outside Wei's office, Jiao pulled out his phone and began typing a rapid fire text. Phoenix swamped. Lack of staff. Send Falcons back. Then I can get away. Where to meet? "Kim left me a message asking for a meeting, I am trying to encourage him to send some of the Falcons back to assist with the prep for the conference. Hopefully he'll get back to me with a location and I'll forward that to you." Jiao paused, and looked at Grant for a moment, "First, thank you," he bowed his head showing the other man the respect he felt for him ", truly thank you for watching out for me in this situation. Your idea to approach Ariel and Emma for assistance with the catering is excellent," while Jiao had stood firm in the verbal assault from Uncle Wei he truly seemed nervous as he continued, "and perhaps I can explain myself in regards to the incident at lunch."

His phone already out from the text he had sent Kim, he called Mia, knowing that Uncle Wei didn't permit phones on the floor he knew it would go to her voice mail. "Mia, Uncle Wei wants us to organize and prepare for the conference to ensure that the catering is perfection itself. Hopefully I've convinced Kim to send some of the boys back to the restaurant, put them to work and keep them busy. I'll be in touch later, but I am going to try to secure additional wait staff and hostesses for the event." As he rushed down the hall, he threw a friendly wave and a smile over his shoulder at Grant hopped on his bicycle and began pedaling to the University.

As he pedaled he ran through a mental list, apologize to Ariel, DR. PRIMEN's message, he had the ticket to use by way of apology! Then he had to enlist their aid in organizing the catering for the event, ensure that Grant was protected in his meeting with Kim, meet with Shrike at midnight to try to determine the identity of the Chinese representatives negotiating with the Falcons, ensure that the catering of the GoT talks went off without incident, and ... he started to think he would rather be fighting a horde of his father's fanatical warrior assassins than juggle his life at the moment.


OOC: Jiao has alot to get done, I can condense a couple of steps into my next post, perhaps the meeting with Emma & Ariel as well as the meet with Shrike, BUT, I don't know the timing of Grants meet with Kim, so I don't even know if poor Jiao's going to be able to keep all the plates spinning before something crashes.

IronEden
10-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

'Tinman.' The name was sticking more than he'd like, but there wasn't much he could do about it right now, especially not around someone like Tops. The man had a head like an urchin and neck like a bull, and the sooner Shrike was out of close quarters with him, the happier he'd be.

"Tops," he said simply, and then he went over to Rex and put up the money requested. "Here's to pay-dirt. In the mean-time, I don't suppose one of your boys could get me a lift back to my place, could they?"

Shrike was secretly hoping to catch a ride back with Tops. He hated the idea of spending any time with him, but that half-tank was probably the Gang's mobile base, and getting the chance to bug it would let Shrike stay on top of things. Even if it wasn't Tops' car, a trace on -any- of them would probably come in handy one day.



The goal is to use my microtransmitter equipment and stick it somewhere inconspicuous like inside of a car seat, just to have tabs on the gang.

Spectrum
10-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Gizmo Girl

In start contrast to the ethics course, Doctor Primen's class (a very specialized niche of machine learning in constrained environments) is always fascinating. A goodly part of it is that it's a very small, very specialized class. In fact, you're the only undergrad in the class full of people working on their doctorates. While there is a ton of material to study, most of it very cutting edge and working from newly published science journals rather than a textbook and you are encouraged to find more materials on your own, Doctor Primen also has turned the class into a discussion rather than a lecture. The only thing that you've really been missing is that Primen isn't writing on the board or overhead anymore, her handwriting has become horrrrrible over the last few months.

----------

Dr Primen sighs, reaching up to rub the bridge of her nose. "Okay, anyone other than Miss Cormick, have any questions before we wrap up things today?" a pause, looking around the room hopefully, another pause, "Anybody?"

Spectrum
10-11-2014, 06:02 AM
x


Including my earlier pm to PG for completeness (slightly edited). I'm hoping that PG has a chance to put all of this into his own words soon.

Meeting with Kim-ja (insight and persuasion checks)- Kim-ja isn't going to want to send the Falcons back to the restaurant, they are his only bargaining piece in all of this. He's trying to step up into a more authoritative role as the successor and is confused as to why this is such a big problem other than the old man not wanting to let go. He's smart enough to realize that he might have made a poor move but stubborn enough that even if he made a choice that he's responsible for the results, good or bad. High even insight check and you'll realize that working the keeping Mia happy and safe angle is the best that you can do. Overall best case, he'll keep going with this plan, but will send his guys back to work and with an open eye towards betrayal. He doesn't know anything about the Irishman.

The ticket- electronically delivered, Ariel has been added to the choice seat list rather than an actual ticket being involved. If you go the Dr. Primen's office on campus, you might get a glimpse of a really hot blonde bimbo (Gizmogirl) around the office. Meeting with Primen will go nicely but rushed. She explains about the ticket, encourages you with young Miss Ariel, says the right things about your medicine working. There might also be room for a quick chance encounter with Ory as she leaves her meeting with Dr. Wong

Ariel- manage to stumble into her at just the right time and place, coming from meeting with an All American kind of guy (Samaritan). She's really happy about your gift but she'll tease tease and probe about just who Mia is... Do you mention that you'll be working the event? Possible pouty face that you won't have a chance to watch the conference with her to discuss.. Most of the words fly right over your head but it's really nice seeing her so perky about it all. Wow, the girl can smile.

And then you can have your preparations for your meeting with Shrike.

CaptainChaos
10-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Celestial

Kate was flying on cloud 9 after her interview with the real Dr. Wong. He was intelligent, charming, and most importantly he was honest. She was so excited that she nearly didn't realize she had a voice mail. She listened to it while walking through the halls of the University. Her elation quickly turned to anxiety as she listened to the message from Dr. Sing. What was she going to do now? This morning she was trying to get a ticket to the talks and now she had 2 dates for them. Each date had benefits. Dr. Sing had front row tickets and a meet and greet with Dr. Primen. Dr. Wong had potential for a long term relationship. Why did her life had to be so complucated sometimes?

Psistrike
10-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Gizmo Girl
She couldn't help it if she was inquisitive, Dr. Primen was one of the few people who could keep up if not exceed her in scientific discussions and intellectual conversation. Plus she had never treated her like a blonde bimbo simply because of her looks, but like a respected equal. Her family had known the good doctor for years and it was so exciting to finally be in one of her classes. She even felt like taking actual notes instead of just relying on her eidetic memory for once.

As things wrapped up and the other students began to leave, Cindy finally saw her chance. "Dr. Primen, I was wondering if I could discuss a scientific matter with you? Preferably in private."

kenmadragon
10-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

The evening had been pleasant enough. The pretty blonde girl with the crutches had not left his thoughts - though not in the way one would assume. Her words had left him curious. Something about the way she didn't quite believe there were only three copies of the test. That bugged him, because he was now beginning to have similar sneaking suspicions. One of those suspicions agreed with Ariel. The other simply figured that the professor simply wanted everyone in the class to fail the exam... or expected a whole lot more from the students and Samaritan had just been unprepared. And being made a fool of sucked.

And he also was wondering why she seemed so ticked. He guessed it was because he had blanked on her name, but then why was she acting coy about the girl Emma? The name was familiar, and he thought he could remember meeting her in one of his classes, but he wasn't sure why she acted the way she did about him not remembering her and Emma. Was that just some part of being a girl? Samaritan sighed. Girls were complicated.

Movement on the rooftops caught his attention. At first, he had thought they were the raccoons again, but instead, he saw three figures standing on the roof of a Chinese restaurant. That was strange - most people didn't hang out on rooftops. Well, Samaritan did, but that was because it was always easier to take off from someplace elevated, where you had less chance of being spotted taking off.

Determined to figure out what was going on, Samaritan decided to move slowly and get a closer look...

Praetorian Guard
10-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

Ariel & Emma's Flat: Late Afternoon

He had taken the long way to Ariel's flat, as he had been cycling across campus he noticed Ariel talking to a tall young man with dark hair. He understood that he had probably upset her over lunch, and as such may very well have lost the opportunity to tell her how he felt. He cycled around the campus, the time ticking down in his head, he waved at a few people he recognized from the Phoenix and continued on his way until he eventually circled back around towards Ariel's flat.

When he was finally at the door, he noticed that his palms were slick and decided to blame it on the ride over to the apartment. He knocked and then took a step back so he could be easily seen through the peephole. Her heard the click of her braces before the sound of the door unlocking, it meant she was home alone as Emma would normally be the first to the door. As the door opened he saw her smile and some of the tension he had been holding fled out of his neck and shoulders. "Ummm, hello? We didn't order from the Phoenix today Jiao."

He nodded, "I know Ariel, I just thought that I, should, ahhh, come by and, well, errr, apologize. I guess, I mean, you seemed pretty upset at lunch today." Ariel flushed slightly, perhaps herself unsure of why she reacted to Mia the way she did, then she shook her head and her smile slowly crept back onto her face. "Well, I was just. Surprised I guess. So who is she? Your girlfriend?" Her voice raised up in an almost child-like manner with the last word. It was Jiao's turn to flush, "Errr, no. Just. No. Mia's a friend, and she works for Uncle Wei." She raised her eyebrow and opened the door with the tip of her brace, "Come in, we've never really had a chance to talk and it's rude to keep you here by the door."

She swung her hips around, her brace tracing a circle on the floor, and then she maneuvered herself to the couch. Jiao followed, a little uncomfortable but relieved that she had invited him in. "So tell me, how did you ever come to work for Mr. Wei? Were you really born in China?" Jiao nodded as he took a tentative seat on the edge of the couch. "I was. Yes. My father was something of a provincial personage, and life was," he paused as he considered his words. He had memories of being scolded for not striking fingers into his sparring partners eye sockets, or taking their lives in other gruesome ways, Emperor Han did not broke weakness in his son or his servants. ", difficult. I fled the province of my birth when I could, and eventually found myself in Hong Kong where I took refuge with a merchant family. That is when Uncle Wei found me and offered me an opportunity to come to Neotropolis with him." Ariel watched him as he spoke, she might have been shy, but she could tell when someone was holding back something significant. "Really, and what about your girlfriend?," she teased. And with a smile she dispelled the images of his father's brutal training, he almost chuckled. "Mia is another of Uncle Wei's children. Not many see it, but beneath his exterior is a man who values family and community very highly. I believe Mia and her brother were in trouble and he brought them under his wing. Mia's just concerned that her brother and Uncle Wei aren't seeing eye to eye right now and she asked me to intervene before the two of them do or say something that can't be taken back." As Jia was speaking he glanced over Ariel's shoulder, and a textbook sat open beside her lap top, he could read the spine, 'Visual and Contextual Perception in the Development of Facial Recognition Software'.

"OH! That reminds me," Ariel near jumped at his change in demeanor. "What?!" "Your textbook, it reminds me of a conversation I had with Doctor Primen the other night," she blurted out, "You know Doctor Primen, THE, Doctor Primen?" It was Jiao's turn to jump at her excitement. "Yes, she has spent some time in Hong Kong and likes to practice her Cantonese and rather enjoys the traditional tea I am able to brew for her. So, anyways. I was speaking to her about your interest in her book," he nodded towards the open book behind her, "and she told me that she thought you were a remarkable student, and offered you reserved seating at the GoT seminars." Ariel sat there just looking at him. "Errr, I am sorry if I overstepped you did want to go didn't you?"

"OH MY GOD YES! Jiao I could hug you!" He looked rather uncomfortable at that, not wanting the young woman to think that he had procured the tickets for ulterior motives. "I, errr, you are welcome. Though there is a favor you could do for me." She noticed the change in his demeanor, though was still overjoyed at his gift, "Yes, anything!" "Well, Uncle Wei has received the contract to cater the talks, and with things between Mia's brother and Uncle Wei at the moment we are a little short staffed, do you think between yourself and Emma you could find some students who would like to make some money to assist in catering." He winked at her, "Maybe your boyfriend?"

Roof of the Golden Phoenix: Midnight

Jiao had left Ariel and Emma's flat earlier in the evening, his meeting with Ariel went better than expected, but he had to put that behind him for now and concentrate on the present. He had a meeting with Shrike, he had asked for information, but had nothing with which to pay the man. He cleansed himself, lit four cones of incense and put one in each window facing the four principle directions, then he slid the floor back and pulled out the heavy scrolls that had been entrusted to him by Master Shi Xing Shien. There was a reverence and precision in his movements as he lifted the scrolls above his shoulders and bowed, so his forehead touched the cool vellum of the scrolls. He could almost feel his masters energy flowing into him. He stood, the black tattoo that curled around his chest, shoulder and down his left arm almost seemed to stretch and flex as though preparing to awaken.

As Jiao prepared himself for the meeting he gathered his chi, and as he did so the tattooed fires held in the dragons claws, over Jiao's heart, sprung to life with an eerie soft yellow-orange glow. The room dimly lit by his chi and the incense Jiao dressed, black slippers, white cotton leggings under loose fitting black silk trousers, a long red sash tied formally for combat, and a long black vest embroidered with red and gold designs, arms bare his dragon tattoo clearly visibly. Then he pulled a crimson half mask over his hair and upper face and secured it with a swift well practiced knot.

Jiao had walked into the room, but the young man who walked out moved with the sinuous grace of a dragon, his steps light, almost silent able to turn his body and react to any danger that presented itself. Then he began to run across the rooftop, a quick leap and he kicked out of his roof top apartment and over Jiao's gardens, alighting on a telephone wire he ran to the alley at the rear of the Phoenix and began to patrol the community. In approximately two hours time he returned, his shoulders and arms glistening with the exhilaration of his movements and he softly landed on a building overlooking the Phoenix and awaited the Shrikes arrival.


OOC: Ok, ok, I admit it I suck at dialogue but there it is, shy nervous Jiao and shy nervous Ariel. I broke up the post into two time sets so Spectrum could respond in Jiao's meeting with Arial if he saw the need to (It was implied I had permission to script her reactions along the path that I did, if I misinterpreted the PM let me know and I will edit. And I put Jiao at the Phoenix for the meeting with Shrike (and hopefully Hardlight & Samaritan). P.S. I want to rope Samaritan into working for Uncle Wei for at least one day it will build character! :p

Weyrd
10-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Grant ended up working right up until close, ducking out right as the nightly clean-up was beginning. He walked several blocks to a bus stop and caught a bus to take him closer to home. Once at home he took a quick shower (he tried to avoid going out as Hardlight reeking of Chinese food.) Throwing on some fresh(ish) clothes, Grant climbed out his bedroom window, down the fire escape and into the side alley by his apartment. Seconds later Hardlight came flying out of the alley like a shot, angling upwards and headed in the direction of the Golden Phoenix.

Jiao still hadn't contact him with the location of the Falcons yet, so there wasn't much he could do on that front yet. Grant was headed to the Phoenix on the off chance that Jiao would be there. He remembered seeing Jiao slip "Tinman" a message about meeting on the rooftop at midnight, although he still couldn't figure out why. Most likely he was just passing on a message from someone else in the restaurant (the way he understood it many people who did business with Burge didn't want others to know about it.) Still if Jiao did end up showing up, Grant could at least make sure he wasn't getting involved in anything to far above his head. He might also be able to "bump" into him later as Grant and ask how getting the Falcons' locations was coming.

Approaching the Phoenix, Grant didn't see Jiao anywhere on the roof. He did however notice a tattooed man wearing a red mask staring at the Phoenix from on top of another building. Had the man from China Quan had alluded to earlier sent someone to keep an eye on Quan and the restaurant? (or worse, send him a message?) Well there is only one way to find out... he thought to himself as he swooped in closer to the individual on his hard-light hover disk. Coming to a stop several feet above his head and to the right he says, "Got the late night munchies? Sorry to tell you that place is closed. There's a 24 hour burger joint several blocks that way though. Greasiest burgers you'll ever eat. Shouldn't be a problem for you though, you know...with that napkin you've got tied on your head." Hardlight's tone is very casual, as if he was just striking up a conversation with someone at a random stoplight instead of a building's rooftop.

Praetorian Guard
10-14-2014, 03:12 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

Golden Phoenix Rooftop: Midnight


"Got the late night munchies? Sorry to tell you that place is closed. There's a 24 hour burger joint several blocks that way though. Greasiest burgers you'll ever eat. Shouldn't be a problem for you though, you know...with that napkin you've got tied on your head."

The man who was confronting him had ridden down on a stream of light, his long leather coat flapping in the breeze and a high tech mask concealing his face. As Jiao watched the other mans movements he quietly drew back into a relaxed cat stance, his lead foot drawing up until just the ball of his foot was in contact with the rooftop, his weight centered over his rear leg, allowing his lead leg to snap out should he need to put the other man off balance.

He drew his breath deep into his stomach and spoke, his chi forcing his breath through his throat chakra lowering his voice considerably. "I had a bus boy at this location," he nodded to the Phoenix over the man's shoulder, "to an information broker dining within. There is a young man who is about to make a serious mistake. One that will not be able to easily be resolved. The young man I believe is about to enter negotiations with a faction that may very well be related to an Chinese organization that I oppose at every turn."

Even as he spoke, his body coiled like a spring, his mind was relaxed, calm like the surface of a lake, his eyes unfocused taking in the entire scene. Watching patiently for both Shrike, and any sign of the faction whom Kim-ja was apparently siding with. "Once I have that information, I can hopefully talk the young man from the path he has decided to walk down," a slight pause, "and you are?"


OOC: Assessment Check: Insight vs Opposed Deception Check from Hardlight to determine combat attributes, specifically Parry & Fighting in relation to Jiao's own. And a Perception roll to observe the scene and see if the two are being observed. (1d20+11=19, 1d20+9=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4680361/)

Weyrd
10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"Roof inspector," Grant answers nonchalantly. "Just making my nightly rounds. You can call me Hardlight. Odd name, I know, but quite fitting," he says tapping his foot a couple times on his hard-light hover disc. "So you're trying to get the skinny on a group of guys to prevent some friends of yours from doing something stupid, seems noble enough. And you chose clandestine rooftop meeting via bus-boy as the means to do this...interesting," Grant comments, pausing to see if he could remember seeing anyone matching this man's appearance in the restaurant during the lunch rush today. Nope, wasn't ringing any bells. "Well, as an official roof inspector for this fair city, I'm afraid I will have to attend this meeting to make sure that all the proper policies and regulations are followed concerning late-night rooftop gatherings. I'm sure you understand."


Deception vs. Insight: 1d20+8=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4680552/), not going to roll deception for the roof inspector lie because nobody would be that stupid.

Spectrum
10-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Gizmo Girl

The conversation with Doctor Primen didn't go very well. While the older woman was her usual brilliant, caring (even motherly), self, she was too distracted to really listen to the conversation. She's still capable of nodding along and making a few neutral comments, but her focus is upon her hands. She's always rubbing them or if she moves too quickly, they pop in a rather distracting manner. She tries hard to hide the pain from her eyes, the wince from her lips.

"Ms. Cormick, I'm sorry. I need to cut this short. I forgot about a prior arrangement." she frowns tightly, "However, I would greatly appreciate if you would stop by at another time to discuss this matter further. Perhaps email me with some references that you've come across?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria grins over to you, leaning in for another playful kiss before blinking and peeking up over your shoulder. "Do you see some guys up there?" she points across the street from the restaurant. The very nice older gentleman running it made sure that you both received very good service, even at the expense of other patrons.

She whispers with a giggle, "This sounds like a job for.. Gizmo Girl! Pewpewkerpow!" she raises her hand up in a quick jab, only to caress it over your cheek, pulling you into a smoking hot kiss before playfully pushing you away. "Go get em hot stuff."

Spectrum
10-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Up on the Rooftop

Dragon's Breath

You start to notice that the area is becoming pretty popular rather unexpectedly and the guest of honor (Shrike) hasn't even shown up yet. From the science fiction surf boarder, to the young man hovering above you to watch, to the guy pointing you out to his girlfriend down in front of the Phoenix.. you're attracting an unnatural level of attention.

Who would have expected this particular roof to attract so much attention? You check around, nope- no brilliant skylight.. you're not even shining that much.

CaptainChaos
10-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Celestial

Kate was prowling around her apartment like a caged animal. She was too keyed up to think. She had two dates for the talks and she needed to decide which one to turn down. That was an unexpected situation for her. As best as she could recall, she had never been in this situation. She had tried to grab something to eat at the Golden Phoenix after the interview but it was too crowded for her comfort. Instead she had stopped by Panera and had a cup of soup and a half sandwich. From there she went home and typed up her interview with the charming Dr. Wong.

Finally she stopped pacing back and forth.

"Screw it, I'm going out."

She walked briskly to her bedroom and went to the secret compartment in her closet. With a quick flip of a hidden switch, the panel opened a few inches. Kate opened the panel the rest of the way and removed a garment back. Tossing the bag on the bed, she then unzipped it and removed the contents. Inside was her other, special outfit. The one she wore for special occasions for nights out in the city. Midnight blue bodysuit, matching gloves and mask, and boots.

Moments later, she was soaring above the skyline, trying to clear her mind. As she coasted above the city, something caught her eye. There seemed to be a group of people on a roof near the Golden Phoenix. Well, if they were planning on breaking into the restaurant, they were going to get a surprise.

Swooping down in front of the group, she stopped in mid-air and hovered.

"Good evening gentlemen. Let me guess, you''re all vampire roofers?"

She scanned the group and noticed they were all masked and wearing various costumes. Definitely not vampire roofers then. Her eyes noticed Hardlight and lingered upon him.

"Fancy meeting you here. Plan on stealing a high tech oven or grill from the Golden Phoenix?" she asked him.

kenmadragon
10-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Hey, I'm just curious, ma'am." Samaritan finally spoke up as he lifted up to levitate off the edge of the rooftop. Wearing simple clothes - relaxing jeans and a pair of worn sneakers, black hair almost perfect in the night's air, plain black t-shirt bearing only a red "S" inscribed in a red upside-down pentagon. No mask or cape worn, just his normal, handsome face. Oh, and the fact that he was standing on empty air and had his arm's crossed, a look of curiosity and wonder on his face.

Weyrd
10-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"Me? Steal? I wouldn't dream off it," Grant said innocently. "Besides the 5-star French restaurant on Main obviously has a better set up. You can really taste the difference. " Grant flies up close to Celestial. "I could take you there sometime, if you'd like. Good service, romantic atmosphere, what do you say?" Grant asked flirtatiously.

CaptainChaos
10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Celestial

Celestial looked Samaritan up and down, sizing him up.

"Isn't this a school night?" she asked nonchalantly.

Turning her attention back to Hardlight, she continued.

"I have a reporter friend that tells me you are a thief of high tech items. Personally, I have no proof of this which is why I am not arresting you."

"As for a date, I'll have to take a raincheck. My social calendar is unexpectedly full this week."

Praetorian Guard
10-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


... as he swooped in closer to the individual on his hard-light hover disk.


Swooping down in front of the group, she stopped in mid-air and hovered.


Oh, and the fact that he was standing on empty air and had his arm's crossed, a look of curiosity and wonder on his face.

Jiao began to seriously consider that everyone in Neotropolis could fly. And still Shrike was not there with the information that he required. He recognized Hardlight, he had heard rumors about the man, read some newspaper articles, he apparently was a hero of the common man, though the police still wanted to speak to him in regards to at least two of his escapades.

Again Jiao spoke, his chi resonating deep within his chest, "I am called the Dragon's Breath by the members of this community, and I have secured a meeting with a broker of information in an attempt to dissuade a young man from embarking down a path from which he may not return." As he surveyed the area he grew increasingly concerned that Shrike would notice the commotion, hovering, flying, glowing people, and avoid the meet entirely. "Perhaps we could at least make some pretense of subtlety so as not to frighten my contact from this meeting."

With that being said, the Dragon stepped back into the shadows cast by a rooftop air exchange so he was not visible from the street.


OOC: Jiao's 19 vs Hardlight's 16 equals a single degree of success, therefore Jiao would be able to surmise that his Parry is lower than his own. Other than that he is waiting for Shrike to show up and hopefully a flash of inspiration as to how he is going to pay him!

kenmadragon
10-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Isn't tomorrow a work day? Or are you already retired?" Samaritan countered with a slight frown. Honestly, he had always assumed there was a bit more professionalism amongst cape-types. Well, that had been his prior experience. Or he just wasn't very experienced with this sort of thing, and that banter wasn't just reserved for heroes and villains, but also between heroes.

"And seriously, a rooftop, man?" the college aged hero said to the man in the green. "This is Neotropolis... Bound to be a lot of curious types around here. Speaking of curiosity, anyone seen a gang of raccoons packin' heat recently? Hanging around in dark alleys and mugging people?"

CaptainChaos
10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Celestial

A wry smile curled her lips.

"Fair enough." she answered the young man.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume this motley crew is not planning on partaking in any illegal activities. I'll be nearby just in case."

This night was getting more interesting every minute. Without another word, she flew straight up into the night. She went high enough so as not to be easily seen and yet still be able to keep an eye on the rooftop.

Weyrd
10-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal


"As for a date, I'll have to take a raincheck. My social calendar is unexpectedly full this week."

Grant completely ignores Jiao's request for subtlety. "Gonna hold you to that!" he calls after Celestial as she ascends.


Speaking of curiosity, anyone seen a gang of raccoons packin' heat recently? Hanging around in dark alleys and mugging people?"

Grant whistles, "Saturday morning cartoons are a lot darker now, huh?" A look of annoyance adorns Samaritan's face as Grant joins the fun of teasing him about his age. "Ah, I'm just teasing, but seriously what kind of parties are you going to...and how do I get an invite?"


OOC:

Other than that he is waiting for Shrike to show up and hopefully a flash of inspiration as to how he is going to pay him!

Don't worry, Hardlight's got you covered ;)

@kenmadragon
Hope you don't mind me having Samaritan react to Grant's comment.

kenmadragon
10-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Parties?" Samaritan muttered, a look of cross annoyance involving the narrowing of his eyes in a manner that didn't strike anyone as pleasant. "Seriously? Anyone else remember what city this is? Hells, are any of you even heroes?"


No worries. "Look of Annoyance" would have been his response perfectly.

Weyrd
10-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"Depends who you ask," Hardlight says, looking up at Celestial high above them as he does.

Psistrike
10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Gizmo Girl
With thoughts of Maria's kiss still on her mind, Cindy was just a little bit distracted as she headed off across the street. Her implant activated and power belt on this time, she could reach the men Maria pointed out in seconds. Whether it was a crime going down, other super types having a meet up or something else, she knew one thing. At least it wouldn't be a bunch of raccoons with guns again.

IronEden
10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Shrike
HP: One Status: Earthbound



It took Shrike a while to make it to the roof of the building. He'd been in the area for a while, courtesy Tops, but when he finally decided it was time to go and use the elevator he had the unpleasant experience of finding his usual closers gone. They were away Falcon business, no doubt, and so he lost a good ten minutes yelling at confused, odd-shift busboys until he could finally convince someone to let him upstairs. He stormed onto the roof of the Golden Phoenix with a scowl, but his anger was suddenly brought up short by the familiar face - or mask, anyway - before him. He grinned.

"Dragon's Breath! I should have guessed you'd be here. How have you been? I see you've been making lots of friends, at least. You'll have to introduce me. But first, to whom do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?"

CaptainChaos
10-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Celestial

Celestial hovered about a hundred yards above the rooftop. She debated going back to confront Hardlight again but she would have to be careful not to reveal too much least she give away clues to her normal identity. It wasn't long before yet another visitor showed up. What is this, she wondered, a convention? That kid looked familiar. The more she thought about it, the more he resembled one of the men in the photo in Dr. Wong's office. His father or older brother perhaps?

"Might as well join the party. Who knows, I might learn something."

She allowed herself to drift downwards at a leisurely pace.

"Gentlemen, would someone kindly explain what is going on here?"

Without waiting for an answer, she turned to the kid.

"What shall I call you? I can think of several names but most would be considered disrespectful. Besides, you remind me of someone. Was your father or older brother in the military?"

IronEden
10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Shrike looked up at her. The costume made him figure she belonged, but you could never tell. "You can call me Shrike" he said, "and what this is, is just a friendly little soirée. I'd invite you to join us, but I'm afraid it's not my place." Here he looked over to Dragon's Breath for confirmation. He wasn't going to say anything more without being certain that she was welcome.

Praetorian Guard
10-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.



"Dragon's Breath! I should have guessed you'd be here. How have you been? I see you've been making lots of friends, at least. You'll have to introduce me. But first, to whom do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?" ... "You can call me Shrike," he said, "and what this is, is just a friendly little soirée. I'd invite you to join us, but I'm afraid it's not my place."

Jiao evaluated Shrike carefully, their last meeting was a much less social event. At that time Jiao had mistaken the cybernetics to indicate that the man was in the employ of Emperor Han, his father. That misunderstanding had been ... costly. "I am pleased that you have arrived.", as he spoke Jiao slowly turned his gaze indicated the slowly gathering circle of costumed strangers. "As you know I tend to watch over this community, and I have recently noticed that a faction has arrived from overseas that seems to be trying to recruit additional manpower. Any information that you have on this new arrival from the People's Republic would aid me in my investigations."

Jiao assumed a relaxed cat stance, his weight distributed over his rear leg, his lead leg just barely brushing against the surface of the roof, this enabled him to shift his center of balance easily and adapt a defensive posture from any direction. He had heard of Hardlight, had battled Shrike, but had not encountered these other 'heroes' and was concerned with how they may interfere with his ability to keep Kim-ja and the Falcons out of serious trouble.

CaptainChaos
10-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Celestial

Celestial looked over the new arrival. He called himself Shrike and seemed to have a plethora of cybernetic implants.

"Well gentlemen, I can't say I know anything about Chinese factions. I have been investigating several thefts of high tech merchandise." she replies while looking directly at Shrike.

"If those thefts are related to these Chinese, then I am very interested in learning more about them. There are companies that are offering substantial rewards for the capture of the perpetrators and the return of the stolen merchandise. A reliable source of mine indicated that Hardlight might be involved but was unable to provide concrete evidence."

kenmadragon
10-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Yeah, no..." Samaritan sighed, shaking his head. Didn't look like these people were really doing anything he was needed for. They didn't seem like bad guys that needed a thumping, nor was there any nefarious plot that needed stopping. Just... someone from China wants to hire people for a job, and someone else doesn't like that. What were they, racist? What did the guy have against Chinese immigrants? And high tech companies being stolen from? That was more Samaritan's speed, but not if it meant working with people who belittled him and insulted him. It didn't feel right to work with smug people.

"Whatever, I'm going to look for those raccoons again..." Samaritan, once more, sighed as he began to leave, wondering where to start his search for the raccoon muggers and whatever that mysterious shadow he had seen that night was. Perhaps back to the 'scene of the crime'? That was where cop shows started, so he might as well give it a shot.


Would I just need to roll Investigation to track down the clues to where the raccoon-muggers are? Or to figure out more about them?

IronEden
10-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Shrike
Hero Points: 1 Condition: Normal

Seeing Dragon's Breath acknowledge Celestial put Shrike at ease. He cleared his throat. "Well, I didn't have a lot of time to get things together, but I can tell you what I know so far. The way I hear it, some Chinese national bigwig is looking for people to fill up a job that'll be going down at the Glimpse of Tomorrow meeting, over at NIT. Now, you and I both probably have some pretty good ideas on who that might be, but I haven't got any evidence to back it up yet. I also happen to know that whatever's being showcased at the Glimpse of Tomorrow's got something to do with controlling people. Maybe not mind-control, per-se, but something in the vein, and people are after it. It's not a lot to go on, right now, but I think it means we can expect our Chinese friend to try to stage a break-in during the talk, and we should be ready for him. I've also got my fixer looking for more information, and if anything turns up, I'll let you know. Capturing this guy after he pulls a stunt like this is sure to be payday."

He looked briefly at Celestial. "You said you were investigating a string of high-tech thefts? I bet we're a step ahead, here. What do you guys know?"

Psistrike
10-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Gizmo Girl
Not knowing what to make of all the different people there, Cindy simply listened in and finally recognized a voice she knew from the other night. "Still chasing after those raccoons, kid? I thought you would have better things to do with your time. Oh, and you other guys. The Glimpse of Tomorrow, trust me on this. I'm one of the smartest people on the planet and Doctor Primen is better with computers than me. Whatever she has come up with, it is valuable for any number of reasons. Any technology can be turned to criminal uses in the wrong hands, someone will want to grab not only the tech or computer program she has come up with, but possibly Doctor Primen as well just so they have someone to explain how to get it working." she said in a calm voice as she floated onto the rooftop with the others. "Gizmo Girl's the name, the kid over there." she says pointing at Samaritan, "can vouch for me. Although it was only one encounter and very short. Stupid raccoons almost ruined my date that night, so I can vouch for him on that front."

kenmadragon
10-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"No." Samaritan said once Gizmo Girl was done. "I'm not a kid, so stop treating me like one. Hells, I'm just about as old as you!" he looked at them all when he said it before pointing at the newly arrived Gizmo Girl. His other hand was clenched into a fist, trying to hold back the frustration and irritation of it all. Honestly, were these people really heroes? Had they no respect for others? Disparaging him without cause? Why? Sure, the flying girl seemed like she was older - the metal guy too - but the others? Hell no. He wasn't going to take this. And not from psycho girl neither...

"I'm not vouching for a self-purported genius whose first instinct is to taser something, then talk rapidly about themselves. So screw you, I'm out of here. Have fun, you discriminatory asses..." Shaking his head, Samaritan left. Let them solve whatever mystery they had on their own. Samaritan wasn't going to be a part of it - not if it meant working with jerks and bigoted men. Or with a girl who was about his age, whose first instinct was violent, and was so egotistical about her supposed genius that she would offhandedly disparage the person who would supposedly vouch for her. And screw the rest of them too. If they didn't have the basic courtesy to treat others with respect, then why should he treat them with respect? He wasn't going to stick around to be associated with jerks. The Samaritan was better than them.


While counter-productive (incredibly so), it is in character. While Samaritan might have a piece to the puzzle the rest are trying to figure out, he doesn't know that yet. Nor would he be willing to stick around given how much he's being ignored, belittled, and/or insulted. Sorry Spectrum, if this throws a wrench in your "how we figure out the puzzle" plan, but Samaritan's not gonna stick around with people he doesn't know (the one he does know, he doesn't actually like), who are dealing with Chinese gangs he's not sure did anything wrong, and doesn't want to associate with people who don't follow the Golden Rule. That's how Samaritan sees them.

Weyrd
10-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Hardlight whistles as Samaritan gets angry and starts to fly away. "Wow, I think you guys ticked him off. You really should work on your people skills," he says, taking no responsibility for his own earlier comments poking fun Samaritan. "Don't worry, I got this," he says as he starts to fly after Samaritan. "But don't start the party without me!" he calls back. Catching up with Samaritan he gets in front of him, flying backwards to match his speed. "Hey there pal, you seem a little upset. I don't blame you, those comments the others said were definitely out of line. But here's the thing, if you're really the man you say you are then you probably already realize that either: 1) We're about to go after some bad people doing some bad things, or 2) We're about to go after people just going about their business that don't deserve to be got. Either way, you should probably be there to stop them or stop us...or you could just wait to hear about it in the news and feel really guilty about leaving when you could of done something. Totally your choice. Anyways I have to get back, that group will be just lost without me."


Hardlight will attempt to get him to stay, challenging his pride and sense of responsibility a little.

kenmadragon
10-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan gave Hardlight a cross look when the young man caught up with him and began to try and convince him to return. "Do you ever shut up?" Samaritan asked back before the rogue left. "I don't know what being a hero means to you, but to me? It means a lot. I don't know why you do what you do, and I don't care. We have to be the better men. So, if you can't treat me as an equal, if they can't do that... then I'll just be the better man." At that last thought, Samaritan had a little smile on his face. A slight smirk. "So, if you do end up on the evening news as the perpetrator of some tragedy, then you're not a hero. And I will feel really good about myself for avenging that tragedy when I personally hand you your ass on a platter.


Pride? Sure, everyone's got a little pride, but Samaritan's isn't what's going to convince him of anything. He's not someone you just guilt-trip either (unless you're his mother, in which case he's putty in your hands). On the other hand, you did manage to get him to pause, opening him up to further convincing! Just... not what you just tried.

IronEden
10-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Shrike watched Samaritan flying off into the night. He couldn't follow him, but he was glad Hardlight at least went off to talk to him. Finding a guy with that kind of muscle would be incredibly helpful for a job like this.

"I like the way you think, Hardlight. I'm currently in favor of setting up an ambush. I've got a security gig at the Glimpse of Tomorrow, and if we can get a better idea of what Dr. Primen's developed, and who's after it, we might be able to foil any thefts before they happen. So, first thing's first. We have our suspicions about Dr. Sing. We might be able to confirm those by checking out his corporate headquarters. We don't have any evidence that implicates him, but he's the only businessman I know of that fits the bill, and it's worth checking him off the list. If the gang's working with him, we'll find them there, or at his house or something. We can call that part of your payment, Dragon's Breath. I'm sure this'll pay out cash in the end. As to the technology itself..."

Shrike looked at Celestial, and then Gizmo Girl. "Do you have an in with Dr. Primen? If you do, you should try to see if you can't get an idea of what's going on. We might even be able to warn her. T-Rex - that's my man - only tells me that 'something big' will be going down, but theft is the only thing I can imagine. Even if we can't figure out who's responsible beforehand, we might be able to plant a decoy device if we find out what it is our troublemakers want."

Weyrd
10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Conditional: Normal

"Tried the stoic and silent thing before, really didn't work well for me. People have to see you scowl for that and it just doesn't translate well with my mask and all. Besides, why would I deny people the pleasure of my voice?" Hardlight responds jokingly. "Kind of losing me on that whole 'better man' thing, but hey to each his own. Personally, what I think makes a hero, is just being there. You know, right place at the right time, or I guess wrong place at the right time depending on how you look at it...perhaps even right place at the wrong time...anyways, focus, stay on topic," Hardlight says snapping his fingers at Samaritan as if he was the one that had started going off on a tangent. "It's the guy that's there that gets to act and choose to be a hero...or not." Hardlight sighs and slumps down, now sitting on his holographic disk as if exhausted, "Man, all this deep conversation is making my head hurt. You ready to come back and lend a hand yet? I don't know how much more I have in me."

Later Hardlight returns to the group, flying for near Celestial. ""I think that went well. So what's the next step? Find Chinese guy? Find this gang he's trying to recruit? Call it a night and hit up a bar? I'm down for whatever."


modified earlier post to have him still up by Samaritan to continue trying to convince him.

kenmadragon
10-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Samaritan
HP:1

Furrowing his brow, Samaritan tried to understand how the man could possibly be so damn cocky. Or so self-abosrbed as to put all his mistakes on others. But honestly? He didn't feel like he could trust this git not to get someone hurt in the process. "You want me to be there when you make a mess of things?" Samaritan asked, arms thrown in apparent surrender. "Fine. I'm not going to be a part of whatever that group of assholes is. But when you mess up, I'll at least be there to make sure there is no tragedy on the evening news."


Samaritan doesn't have visible muscle. He looks like an athletic young man, not a muscled powerhouse. And no, it didn't go well (though with Hardlight being the way he is, that's probably lost on him). He's convinced you're all jerks who are going to mess things up being arrogant blowhards, and is only going to follow you guys around to say "I told you so" when you all mess things up, and keep all of you in line. Good luck convincing him otherwise, because that was a botched first impression!

Spectrum
10-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Dear Diary- today I went to a masked hero meetup. It was pretty awkward. Everyone wanted to argue rather than do things. Lame!

It looked as if this impromptu meeting of the local capes and cowls group was doomed to the start. It took a certain kind of strange to go out and fight crime and that strangeness tended to repel like. There was probably a good reason that while Neotropolis had a population of Science! heroes and villains in the past, that they had so rarely worked together. There was room for whether this was going to be the event that started pulling things together. Already nerves were being frayed and some basic issues were coming up, such as trust and the definition of what being a hero meant.

Everyone there had pieces of a puzzle, even a rough image of the overall picture, but they were having problems cooperating well enough to start putting those pieces together. Working together meant being willing to share the hard earned pieces, revealing secrets, to strangers through that bond of being well.. strange. It wasn't an easy task and likely wouldn't be for a while.

Still, there was a dangerous situation coming at the end of the week at the Glimpse of Tomorrow. Doctor Primen was going to present, a new application that had the potential to change the way that people perceived the world. It wasn't going to be the printing press that brought literacy to the masses, it was closer to the idea of movable type that made the press a viable concept at long last. It was very likely that the noble and brilliant woman that had dedicated her life to science was in danger. Threats were already starting to circle, the representative from a repressive foreign government and the elusive 'Irishman' that was looking to hire professional talent. There may be more.

Even if they didn't work side by side, or for that matter even agreed on the nature of the issue, they were being called as Heroes to do something about the issue. Just what would it be?

A flash of red and blue swirling lights could just barely be seen through the night sky of Neotropolis. Decisions needed to be made soon.

CaptainChaos
10-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Celestial

Celestial heard Dr. Sing's name mentioned in a negative way. This man Shrike was suggesting that the upstanding businessman was involved in criminal activity.

"Pardon me but I don't believe Dr. Sing is involved in any criminal activity. He had an item stolen from one of his labs not long ago. It was some kind of transmitter for cell phones that didn't rely on satellites. The signal could be transmitted just as fast with less signal degradation without the added expense of satellites. He indicated that several wireless service providers were quite interested because it would reduce their operating costs. satellites are expensive to build, launch into orbit, and maintain." she explained.

Glancing upwards, she continued, "Now if you will excuse me, I have to go talk to someone for a moment."

Without waiting any longer, she lifted off from the roof and flew upwards to Samaritan.

"I apologize for my behavior earlier. I'm not used to meeting and working with others of our kind. I know you don't know any of us and have no reason to trust us. I'm not sure if I trust any of them either. A good source of mine reported she saw Hardlight fleeing the scene of one of the tech thefts. I don't know if you decided to be a hero as soon as you knew you had powers or not. As for myself, I tried to ignore what I could do. I didn't want the responsibility. It wasn't until months later I found myself in a situation where I had to make a choice. I could use my abilities to save the hostages or I could just wait until the police arrived to take care of the situation. It wasn't an easy choice for me to make but ultimately I decided I needed to help save the hostages. Now you can leave if that's what you feel is the right thing to do or you can stay with the rest of us. If any of us do something against your morals or break the law, you can take us to jail, even me." she explained to the young hero.

"By the way, my name is Celestial, what's yours?"

kenmadragon
10-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan regarded Celestial coolly. The young man wasn't sure why this lady was telling him about what she had done and this apparent choice in her life. Trying to make him see her in a certain way? Very possible. Dexter's roommate had warned him about such feminine wiles. Priscilla had confirmed it as well - whenever a girl says something, their words don't always match their intentions. Apparently women play mind-games with each other in a manner of interaction that Dexter found somewhat bizarre. But that wasn't the point here. The point was she was trying to explain herself to him, an action Samaritan didn't really need. It was... unnecessary.

Extending a hand to Celestial, the hero continued to float, giving her a once over. Rather attractive lady in a skin tight costume surrounded in a slight corona of energy, which differed from the arrogant blowhard's disk he was standing on. Different from Samaritan as well - the energy that glistened slightly about her explained how she flew, but there was no energy about Samaritan. For all purposes, there wasn't even any real show of effort on his part - it was as if the very laws of gravity mattered little to Samaritan. From what little science Samaritan knew, while he appeared like a normal individual for his age, his body behaved as if it were simultaneously superdense and as light as a soap bubble, which didn't make sense with conventional physics. At least, not to a student of AP physics in high school. An impossibility made reality? Who knows.

"They call me Samaritan," he introduced himself after the momentary pause, hand still extended.

CaptainChaos
10-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Celestial

Celestial reached out and shook the young man's hand firmly. He looked like he was in good shape, probably an athlete of some kind.

"Nice to meet you Samaritan. I promise I won't call you kid again. Now how much do you know about science and technology? I know a little but I'm trying to find out why someone would steal a cellular transmitter. From what I have learned, it is capable of transmitting cellular signals around the world without the use of satellites. Except for the people that make and own the satellites, I don't know who else would be interested in stealing it. Do you have any ideas? The others are interested in some street gang but I doubt they would be involved."

kenmadragon
10-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan said nothing for a moment. Clearly people misunderstood him. And a lot. Which was weird, because he wasn't sure he even understood himself as well, at times. Maybe that was a side effect of that damned curse surrounding him... what should be obvious was instead veiled. A whole bunch of weirdness. So far, he hadn't figured out how to get past it. There probably wasn't a way to do it...

"Not much." he admitted. "But it's not that hard. You just have to think - what would you do if you had a transmitter that sent messages in a way no one else could?" Samaritan shrugged, figuring it was somewhat obvious. There were other possibilities springing to mind, but he felt they didn't need saying right now. He had always been reasonably bright, not prodigiously so, but whatever. He wasn't much of a scientist, but he was a teenager. If he had a cellphone that couldn't be traced and operated independently of any other systems, Dexter knew exactly what he would use it for. But hey, why state the obvious? Besides, who knew if he was wrong. And there was always that feeling regarding the raccoons that bugged him for attention - something about those creatures made him feel the need to follow up on the events of that night. Look into it more... he couldn't place it, but it was going to bug him otherwise.

CaptainChaos
10-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Celestial

Kate considered what Samaritan did and did not say. Sure, there were plenty of people who would love to be able to use such technology. The problem was, who and why. she supposed drug dealers would be interested in such technology but somehow, that seemed not only too obvious, but not grand enough. No, she was thinking someone had something big going on. The others had mentioned rumors that something big was going to happen at the talks. Was someone planning on kidnapping Dr. Primen or stealing her latest invention?

"Thank you Samaritan. You've given me a few more things to consider. I'm sure I'll see you around the city."

She nodded to the young man and then flew down to rejoin the others.

"So, what were you saying about the upstanding citizen Dr. sing?"

Praetorian Guard
10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

Jiao was a little concerned in regards to this impromptu meeting, admittedly he himself was not blameless, as he had been concentrating on his own dilemma rather than addressing the concerns of the hovering man's search for animal spirits or changelings. The young man had taken Jiao's concentration as silence, and had departed quickly, only to be followed by Hardlight, and then the woman who called herself Celestial.

Dr. Tzin Sing had somehow convinced the woman, Celestial, that he was a businessman or some repute, when in actuality he was involved in human trafficking, black market organ sales, cellular re-genisis and even human cloning. It was the last that brought him to the attention of Jiao's own father, the Mandarin, Emperor Han. He only hoped that Sing's presence was entirely coincidental, and not related to the Chinese faction that was recruiting the Jade Falcons.

Jiao looked around the roof top, with the three hovering some hundred feet away, and almost three stories up he had no way of contacting them, or overhearing their conversation. As such he looked towards Shrike, and the other new arrival, the self proclaimed smartest girl in the world, Gizmo Girl. "I managed to find a list of some of Kim-ja's regular haunts, we could try to track him down this evening and confirm our suspicions about the nature of this new prospective ally the Falcons have found for themselves." Briefly Jiao ran through the addresses Mia had provided for him, and the corner of Grant & Spadina under the I-47 overpass. "Apparently the Falcons like to relax on the weekend, street racing their motorcycles under the I-47, care to check it out with me?"


"So, what were you saying about the upstanding citizen Dr. sing?"

Jiao shifted his stance quickly as Celestial landed atop the roof opposite him. The scowl and disapproving tone of her voice said more than enough about the complexity of Sing's lie. "I mean no disrespect madam, only that if you believe he is either of those things you say he has already wrapped you in enough of his lies that you would not believe what I have to say. I warn you though, be careful in your dealings with him." He shifted past the woman, looking at Gizmo and Shrike, "I'll meet you at the underpass if you choose to assist me in stopping those youths from making a terrible mistake."

With that he took a brief run, and leapt onto a powerline, the cord quivered with his weight, as he adjusted his near perfect balance he took off at a sprint, leaping across the remainder of the void to land atop a fire escape valuting up two stories to the roof he disappeared heading towards Grant & Spadina and the I-47 overpass.


OOC: Gah! Edit! Captain Chaos slipped a post in! Significant pause for if the others decide to drop down and overhear Jiao's comments about the I-47. Also, I now have this stuck in my head ... KAAAAANEDA!!!!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKNarpJc9o) I know, I know, Neo-Tokyo, not Neotropolis but still! Also Japanese not Chinese, but still! AKIRA!

Weyrd
10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Grant returned in time to here Dragon's Breath's plan to check out one of the Falcon's weekend hangouts. Well that's some good luck, Grant thought. I was starting to worry I wouldn't be able to look into anything tonight with Jiao not contacting me with any info yet. Grant followed along with Dragon's Breath, flying parallel to him and matching his speed. "Wow, that looks exhausting. You ever consider getting a car or a motorcycle?

Psistrike
10-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Gizmo Girl
"Well, since my date is basically over, I've got nothing better to do." Gizmo Girl said as she fly after Jiao-Long, hoping to get some more information on the recent goings on around town. She just hoped that Maria would be okay and understand why she didn't come back immediately.

Plus she had that nagging feeling that she should talk to the flying guy, she really needs to learn his name so she won't upset him by calling him kid again. She only did that because she didn't know what else to call him and that was what everyone always called her when they didn't know her name. Although now that she thought back on it, it always annoyed her, so she avoid doing it to others. She owed the guy an apology at least, she was sure he wouldn't care for an explanation why she called him that. From just listening to him tonight she figured he didn't care for people trying to explain their reasons behind doing or saying something, just that they did it. Maybe once things have settled down she can talk to him and explain, when he is in a better mood.

Spectrum
10-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Racing in Neotropolis

The city government of Neotropolis tries to be practical about many matters. Common practices that work in many other cities simply don't work in the city of the future. The population has too many people that think too far outside the box for those common measures to work. It also makes a significant difference that while many cities have been around for hundreds of years, growing organically and absorbing other little communities along the way- Neotropolis was carefully designed by the early city planners and they've been able to more or less stick with that plan.

What that means in practical terms is two things. Neotropolis has a thriving bus and light rail system to absorb most casual commuter traffic. It also has a well developed system of (straight line) freeway arteries running through it to make transit easier for a widely distributed population base. Driving has become a choice rather than a requirement.

On the other hand, the mix between a zeal for driving and the much higher than average intelligence base has some err.. interesting results. Down in the Grant and Spadina area is a collection of high end vehicular destinations. If you want to 'pimp' your ride, it's a good place to go. If you want to develop and test new theories in automotive engineering and test them out, it's a great place to go. There is even a small enclosed race track that's pretty decent for bikes and small cars, not so great for more exotic forms of transportation. The police, trying to minimize the risk of the situation have pushed the traffic in that direction and worked to promote safety rather than eliminate it. Most tickets are for doing stupid things to endanger yourself or others- don't be stupid! The public appreciates it, the racers (mostly) appreciate it and the tourist population really appreciates it.

Even though it's a (Tuesday?) night, things are in full swing. A very large group (200 people) are in a very large loose circle around a demonstration of incredible skill. A young woman is using a bipedal bike of some sort and performing ballet to the appreciation of the crowd. It's a new device that noone has seen before and she's breathtaking.

http://baratijasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rideback-01-large-27.jpg

IronEden
10-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Shrike
HP: One Condition: Normal

Street racing, mused Shrike. It always seemed to come back to street racing, for some reason. Never mind the drugs, the smuggling, the prostitution and the robbery. All of that is for making ends meet. What people really want, especially the criminals down on the bottom, is respect, and the gleaming streets of Neotropolis offer a perfect arena. Shrike came down from the Golden Phoenix and hailed a taxi to take him to the track over by I-47, and his thoughts drifted towards his last race, with Ogress. It was a stupid call, he remembered. It had earned him rivets eighty three through one hundred and forty five, but somehow he found it hard to regret. All he could remember was the speed, the power, and the wild thrill of sending his opponents car screaming into the air. It was perfect, and seeing this new girl with her insane-looking bike, well, it makes him a little nostalgic. He steps into the crowd and starts recording a video, but he keeps his eyes open for signs of the people who seem to be his new crew, and for any falcons that he can recognize.

CaptainChaos
10-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Celestial

Celestial wasn't very interested in what some street gang was doing on a school night but the others seemed to be. Since she had nothing else going on right now and didn't need to get up early in the morning, she figured she might as well tag along. She flew a little higher than the others and slightly behind. This gave her a good vantage point. She had no idea how the young man was able to run on top of the wires but chalked it up to excellent balance. After all, birds had no problem sitting on wires so why not a human, especially one who had extraordinary abilities.

Street racing held no particular interest for her but she understood the thrill the participants got from the speed. She watched from above as the woman performed some sort of dance while on a two wheeled vehicle of some sort. Definitely not something you could buy at a standard dealership. So far she not seen anything that would lead her to believe this gang was involved in any of the tech robberies.

Psistrike
10-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Gizmo Girl
Cindy couldn't help but marvel at some of the technology on display here, some of it was on par with work her parts and their colleges did, some of it was even close to a few things she had designed. Why hadn't anyone ever told her about this before? Working on tech and coming up with your own ideas was fun, seeing others' work and creations like this made her feel like she found people she could relate to. Although the knee joints on the bipedal motorcycle were too exposed for her taste, a titanium-ceramic composite could fix that easily.

Praetorian Guard
10-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


"Wow, that looks exhausting. You ever consider getting a car or a motorcycle?"

As he leapt from rooftop to rooftop, scaling fire escapes, flowing around obstructions and obstacles effortlessly dropping twenty feet to the ground before leaping up ten feet grabbing a fire escape and vaulting again to a rooftop. "Try doing it while balancing two ten gallon tea kettles filled to the spout with boiling water in either hand. This is relaxing believe it or not." And even Hardlight had a difficult time discerning if the stoic young man was speaking the truth or mocking him.

Eventually Jiao came over the last building, he was high enough to almost be on the same level as the over pass, he watched the girl gracefully maneuver the mecha cycle through a series of ballet steps. From his perch he scanned the crowd looking for the green and yellow bandannas of the Jade Falcons, as he did so he absently wondered whether the mecha cycle was going through a series of pre-programmed maneuvers or if the girl was manually balancing and counter balancing it's graceful movements.

He watched as Shrike exited his taxi and headed towards the throng growing around the girls performance, he also saw Celestial doing a wide circle above the crowd. He noticed that Gizmo was trailing them from a higher altitude as well, though she appeared to be lost in thought, perhaps one of the drawbacks to an intellect as great as hers. He took a moment to catch his breath, the wind cooling the sheen of sweat that now covered his chest and shoulders. "We're looking for green and yellow bandannas, Kim-ja is their leader. Tall and wiry, close cropped black hair, jittery movements, anxious, unsettled." He spoke to Hardlight as he scanned the area, looking for the man he described, and listening for the high pitched whine of their highly tuned custom bikes.


OOC: My Final Secrets Array is still on Grace & Speed (Movement (Wall Crawling & Safe Fall), Speed 1 & Leaping 2) obviously. I will scan the crowd looking for any of the Falcons. Perception Check scanning the crowd for any sign of Kim-ja or the Jade Falcons. (1d20+9=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4689393/) A crit?!?! WOW! I never have that kind of luck!

IronEden
10-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Shrike

Catching sight of the others, Shrike made a signal to them, a simple acknowledgement, and approached them until he was within earshot. He knew the colors of the Jade Falcons already, but Dragon's Breath seemed to be looking for somebody in particular. He'd just follow his lead on that note. In the mean-time, Shrike keeps watching the performance in the heart of the ring. The girl was good - almost offensively good - and Shrike was starting to wonder not only where she'd got her bike, but how the next act was going to top what he was seeing now.

Weyrd
10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"Hmmm, when you say close cropped black hair, what are we talking about here? Like buzz-cut?" Hardlight asks, knowing full well what Kim-ja looks like and what Dragon's Breath mean. "Pft! Whatever, I'm sure I'll figure it out." Hardlight extends his hands out in front of him, hands facing each other as if he was holding a ball. He then pulls his hands apart and has he does so a glowing globe of energy forms between them. Once full size (about a foot and a half in diameter), then inside of the glob becomes populated with mini-holographic representations of people and objects. A quick scan of the area would reveal that this was apparently a holographic feed from some device scanning the outskirts of the area.


Remote sensing to search some of the further away parts of the area, Perception: 1d20+6=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4689461/)

Spectrum
10-23-2014, 05:20 PM
At the racetrack

Celestial
As you keep a watch from above, you start to notice that people are starting to keep a watch from below. A good number of people point up at the flying woman, ooohing and ahhhing. The keen ear can just pick up a few whispered, 'how does she do that?' 'wow, I don't see any flight suit...' 'she's gorgeous! like an angel!' They're calling to you, urging you to show off, to present yourself for the attention that you crave. Much more muted are the journalistic tendencies that are starting to bubble up. There might be a story of two here for one of the tech magazines. You might even be able to attract some new business in the motorsports trade journals if you play this just right. As the two impulses draw you in opposite directions, a presence rises up. At first it sounds and feels like hardlight but he's over... there. Wait, who is this guy? If you turn your attention that way, the figure is already speeding off, glancing over his shoulder with a challenging pose. Male? Female? Hard to tell.

Gizmo Girl
It's a pretty nifty scene around here. Lots of people with pretty decent work. Of course, you can do better, smarter, stronger. It might be a good place to offer some pointers. Ehhhh, it might even be a place to make a few new friends.

Shrike
The girl carefully puts her rideback into a sitting position, a delicate curtsey before starting to drive away. She stops for a young teenage (much younger than the average person here) boy and girl step in front of her. The words are soft, polite, friendly, even respectful. A moment passes, the previous rider steps off with a painful to look at limp as the younger girl slips on with some help from the boy. Everything looks normal, happy.

Hardlight
As you take a look around, you take notice of a long toned golden thigh.. up up oh.. yeah, that's Mia, wearing way too little, *cough* way way too little, slipping up behind Kim-ja on his Akira-style bike, heading off, another bike moving a step behind and not wearing the Falcon's colors. It's about this time that your field of vision crosses the previous demonstration (see Shrike)..except, you recognize the kids. Heck, you've chosen to be their older brother. What are Mikayla, Jason and.. yeah, Fritz are here too, with this older and potentially rougher crowd, on a school night. No sign of Carole and Amy either..

Dragon's Breath
As all above. You notice where the siblings head, down the onramp to the section of the freeway. Your attention snaps back to where the rest of the gang are. A slick looking man in his mid30s cooly stands there in a slick golden three piece business suit, a fancy cigarette dangling from his lips, looking utterly bored. He isn't someone you recognize from the restaurant either.

http://izae.biz/pict/men/3/350.jpg

kenmadragon
10-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan had easily glided along through the air with ease as he followed the other costumed individuals through the city night to the racing scene. The sights were only barely familiar to him. He was not a racer - he had only barely passed his driver's licence test - nor was he skilled or bright enough to be one of the people who liked the mechanics and tech being displayed on the streets in the street races. On the other hand, Dexter had been dragged her by his more sociable friends on occasion, and had marveled at the people gathered - and the simple fact of the matter was that there were many pretty girls his guy-friends would try to fraternize with. They had some success, not much. Dexter on the other hand hadn't been much of an ogler, though he never failed to notice the racers and the people that hung around them. They were like movie-stars sometimes, and the better racers attracted a similar level of respect in the city.

Still, he tried to keep a look out for the green and yellow bandannas the man who could apparently pull of acrobatics stunts that baffled Samaritan for a few moments had pointed out. He wasn't paying especial attention, though he had known enough to set himself on a rooftop to peer out from his stance atop the very edge of the rooftop nearby as he simply watched the spectacles below. Their noise carried high to his ears, and he could feel the night on his skin. It was comfortable.


Looking for nothing in particular, but keeping an eye out for pretty much anything (though any hint of shadowy figures on rooftops surveying a gang of raccoon-muggers will be pursued!)... Perception 1d20+5=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4690529/)

Spectrum
10-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Samaritan

There's lots going on, people having fun, laws being broken and unpunished. Then again, a lot of laws in Neotropolis get.. fuzzy. It's easy to break them when you're superhero. The mind begins to wander as you look over the crowd, so close to the fun and yet so apart from it too. The woman, Celestial, said something about your family being military or something like that. Not that you're aware of but there are times that you feel apart from them too...

Oh wait, looking for the gang! Right! Yeah, over there, there's a couple of folks in green and yellow, shuffling through the crowds.

Praetorian Guard
10-24-2014, 03:53 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

As Jiao watched several situations unfold through the crowd he began to plan his next move. Kim-ja & Mia were about to hit the freeway, and, while Jiao could tail a vehicle through the crowded neighborhood of Neotropolis' Chinatown due to it's tight corners, and narrow streets, once Kim-ja hit the freeway there would be no way he could keep up. The second bike following him wasn't a Falcon, so most likely the suit had sent one of his guys to keep an eye on Kim-ja while he went to perform some task for him. Though it was concerning that Mia was going with him, and not staying with the suit as collateral.

"There! The red Sohei street racer heading down the on ramp!" Jiao pointed towards Kim-ja and the trailing bike and called out to Hardlight, "Could you follow Kim-ja and find out who that guy behind them is working for?" He paused as he stood up, looking towards the suit. "I'll try to see if I can figure out what's going on down there." And with that he threw himself into the air, tucking into a tight ball, then as he neared a streetlight, his legs extended and he shifted his body weight, stopping his momentum and sliding down the pole to the street below. He calmly walked through the crowd of the Falcons surrounding the suit, some of them recognized him as the mysterious Dragon, some backed out of his way, some puffed up like they had something to prove.

He stepped through those blocking his path, his eyes never wavering from the middle aged man at the center of the throng. "I need to speak to Kim-ja, where is he?" His chi rumbled dangerously in his voice.


OOC: Movement action to get across the street and walk towards the Falcons, going to Delay my standard action, if someone attempts to attack me I will use that Standard Action for a Full Defense action. And as a free action using Assessment on the 'suit'. Insight vs Deception to determine relative Parry & Dodge of the 'suit'. (1d20+11=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4690885/) Ahhh, there's the IC I know! Crit a perception check, blow an Assessment check, this is gonna end well I can see it! Yup as expected! Intimidation Check. Unskilled. (1d20+1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4690896/) But it is alot like my sifu, quiet unassuming man, but you mess with him and POW! You are on your back and can't draw a breath.

Spectrum
10-24-2014, 04:17 AM
x

PG, please go ahead and throw in an intimidation roll while you're at it.

Weyrd
10-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Conditional: Normal

"Sure thing," Hardlight responds and races after Kim-ja and Mia...until he flies behind a building that blocks him from view from the crowd and the other heroes. There he comes up short and lands on the ground. He drops his holographic costume and glances back in the direction of where Dragon's Breath would be. "Sorry about this..." he says to himself under his voice before jogging around the other side of the building and heading back towards the crowd where Mikayla, Jason, and Fritz were. He felt miserable letting Kim-ja and Mia slip away. They were his friends and they could very well be headed towards danger, but they were also old enough to be expected to deal with the consequences of their actions. His younger "siblings" were not. Hopefully he could get them on their way home quickly and then locate Kim-ja and Mia with the help of any info Dragon's Breath was able to get out of the man in the golden suit.

Working his way through the crowd comes up right behind the trio. "Ahem! Grant clears his throat. "Busted," he says with a (semi)-serious expression. "What the heck are you guys doing here?"


Considered using a HP to utilize one of his projectors as a tracking beacon, but what's the fun of complications if they don't mess your plans up :D

kenmadragon
10-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Turning his head to see green and yellow dressed racer in biking leathers on a rather schway customized bike with a very attractive young woman who was wearing rather little (like a lot of girls that hung around street racers tended to, but this girl seemed to have a different relationship with the racer from what he could see) clinging to his waist as they began to race off, Samaritan heard the kung-fu-man's words. Okay, maybe that was a bit judgemental, and possibly racist, but given how much the guy's moves seemed like they were straight off a movie-screen and the way he spoke, Samaritan hoped it wasn't too off target. The guy did seem like he knew kung fu.

Still, while he was only there to observe, the urgency in the young man's voice stirred something in Samaritan. And besides, if this was the guy they were after, then might as well be quick about it. Who knew, maybe they were right on track with this, maybe they weren't. And maybe he might just make a little spectacle. Well then, he'd have to make sure no one got hurt.

In near the flash of an eye, Samaritan had leaped off the roof's edge, and zoomed through the night air to stand but a few feet in front of the motorcycle. The racer had only barely seen him in time, but was moving too fast to swerve. And Samaritan wouldn't let him swerve. One hand raised in front of him, Samaritan caught the motorcycle with it, as the speed began to push him back. Widening his stance, Samaritan gave the racer (and the girl staring at him with wide eyes) a smirk as the bike began to slow, Samaritan's feet skidding only a little as he slowed the bike. Leaving a scuff on the black roads from the skid of his shoes, and having only moved the young paragon but several yards, the motorcycle had slowed down enough that the two riders weren't in much danger when Samaritan's fingers curled slightly, gripping the motorcycle with a tender hold. And without even the slightest hint of effort, Samaritan's arm raised ever so slightly, still clutching the motorcycle's front as he lifted it a foot or two off the ground.

"Sorry." he gave them a reaffirming shrug and half smile. "I just want a word. Nothing much. Won't take long." explained Samaritan as he looked up at the two on the bike.


I criticaled... (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4691169/)

CaptainChaos
10-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Celestial

Kate was very tempted to respond to the crowd. Based on her observation of the performance on the motorbike, they clearly appreciated a good show. She briefly considered trying to get a story but that could wait until another night when she was in civilian clothes. Then things started getting out of hand down there. Some of the other heroes were causing a commotion now. She was just about to fly down to see what the fuss was about when something else caught her attention. Someone was flying away from the area that did not seem to be one of the people she met a short time ago. Whoever it was, they seemed to be mocking her. Almost daring her to follow. Well, why not.

"Alright, let's find out who you are and why you were here."

In a flash, she accelerated from her hovering position in pursuit of the unknown person.

Spectrum
10-26-2014, 02:20 PM
The Dragon's Breath

The suit turns Dragon's Breath, a cool eyebrow lifting <<Jook-sing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jook-sing), speak a decent tongue or leave.>> and smirks, "No speak Engrish." with an overplayed accent, and flicks his cigarette in your direction before turning back to the group with a casual ease.


Your assessment: 19 vs 1d20+10=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4693136/) Obviously, his parry and dodge are impenetrable.
Counter assessment: 1d20+10=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4693171/)

Heng Gang, one of the younger, more excitable members of the Falcons grins your way. "Wow, Dragon's Breath, how cool! What are you doing down here? You going to watch Kim-ja race? He should be starting any second now." This kindness gets him a number of glares, a sharp mumble of 'what do you think you're doing, you rat?' "Hey, I was just thinking that..." The backs firmly turn away from you, choosing to ignore you. Well, most of them, there are still a few grins your way. You are after all, a local hero. Not quite as cool as Li Mubai, Wong Fei Hong or even Po Ping; but you're on your way.

Spectrum
10-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Hardlight

Mikayla carefully balances upon the rideback, trying to find her balance. She grins happily and waves in your direction, "Hi Grant!" wave wave lean wave.. balance. However, the cycle reaches out with one of it's long arms and rights itself before fully falling over. The dancer looks on alarm as the creation nearly breaks, "Hey! Both hands on the bars!'" she warmly teases.

Fritz oooohs at the display, his eyes getting huge behind his glasses. If it was possible, you'd even say that his eternally mussed hair (Einstein style!) was standing even higher. "Grant,'uhh,hi'there.How'are'you'doing?What'are'you 'doing'here?I'mean,it's'a'work'night'and'all,don't 'you'need'to'get'your'rest.'Not'like'it's'not'a'sc hool'night'or'something'and'we'should'really'be'in 'bed.'Oh'hey,'isn't'this'thing'really'cool?I'mean, 'really'awesome'cool!That'was'incredible'what'you' did'on'it'Miss Rin!" he inhales sharply, his eyes bulging, before taking a hit off of his inhaler.

Jason simply groans, staring up at the sky, counting out loud from one to ten and then back down again. "Hey Grant." he shakes head, "Yeah, beautiful night isn't it? One that would be perfect for sleeping?" he grumbles as he looks back over her shoulder towards his two friends. His strengthening arms cross over his bulking out chest. Yeah, he knows that they're in trouble. Yeah, he knows that they shouldn't be out here. Yeah, he knows that they would only get into more trouble if he wasn't watching out for them. "You have a late delivery this far out?"

Spectrum
10-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Celestial

!Hardlight drops height quickly, skimming over the tops of the crowd's heads, a serpentine motion as he picks up speed, going faster and faster towards the building housing the indoors testing track. He glances back over his shoulder towards you, daring you to keep track.

You can see the imminent collision, going that speed into a concrete wall, it's going to be a total mess. But he ducks down, grabbing the front of the board and pulls up, shifting the back down.. and changing the angle of movement towards straight up, a cascade of sparks flying behind him as he gets just barely too close. Or maybe with that kind of skill, for more dramatic effect?

The crowd gazes up at the scratching and oooooohs, the race on the freeway momentarily forgotten.

And then you see it.. that same wall is headed towards you. Can you change direction in time? Can you please your audience?


!Hardcase acrobatics: 1d20+15=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4693291/)
!Hardcase persuasion: 1d20+15=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4693293/) 3 successes

This is one of those times that I wish acrobatics could be used untrained. Let's see how you do on a agility+flight roll. DC 20 if you want to cut it really close (and potentially need to roll for a crash), DC 15 if you want to be a chicken and play it safe. Please also roll a persuasion (DC 15) roll afterwards. It'll be a contested ongoing roll to see who gets more crowd approval.

Spectrum
10-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Samaritan

Time slows down..

Your hand touches the bike as it barrels towards you. The metal soft and yielding under your touch. You have the control though to keep the force going in a single direction, towards you.

You're pushed back, time slowing even more..

You can register the heat under your feet, the stink of burning plastic as your shoes are worn away.

Your feet touch the concrete of the freeway, cooling in the night air, worn smooth with a thousand tires.

Your muscles slip smoothly under your tshirt as you effortlessly life the motorcycle with two riders as if it was a piece of paper.

You can feel the shock in the rider's eyes as they gaze upon you with... amazement? Fear?

This must be what a god of old must feel like.

Speed uncoils back with a vengeance, the echoes replacing the silence.

"Oh my god..."
"No f-ing way..."

The other bike slows with a screech before zoooming off again, building speed as it disappears into the night. You could catch it, it would be so easy- just like this time.

"Sorry." he gave them a reaffirming shrug and half smile. "I just want a word. Nothing much. Won't take long." explained Samaritan as he looked up at the two on the bike.

Psistrike
10-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Gizmo Girl
Cindy had been drawn to the short race going on between the motorcycle and Samaritan. She couldn't believe it, how could he do that with his muscle mass and even with the power to do that he should have been pushed back 3x the distances he was with the motorcycle's momentum. His powers must operate outside of the normal laws of physics or operated using some form of ability which worked within the laws of physics but wasn't obvious.

She was impressed and at the same time wished to figure out how to duplicate it, imagine what construction workers and rescue crews could do with light-weight exo-suits able to replicate that kind of power. But first she would need to design a machine to analyze powers on multiple levels and in multiple dimensions to even get started on such a project. But for now she just stood a couple feet away and kept her mouth shut, he had everything in hand and she didn't want to upset him or put her foot in her mouth again.

kenmadragon
10-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

He'd almost forgot how strong he was sometimes. It seemed almost effortless to Dexter to hold back from the strength that the Samaritan could exert. How to appear normal. When you have the might to lift a car above your head without any real effort, it is hard to be normal.

Dexter had years of practice. And that weird curse that made it impossible to tell anyone about it. Dexter guessed it helped too.

But there were times... Times when he didn't have to hold back.

Times when he wondered... Was this what they felt like? What gods felt like?

He couldn't really say.

Samaritan saw the other bike screech to a short halt before accelerating again. He could catch it... should he? Wouldn't be hard. The motorcycle wasn't very heavy. Neither were the people on it. He could hold it in one hand, just needed to catch the other bike... But then he couldn't be careful. Either the man on the second bike would fly off at high speeds and die from impact with the ground, or the two on the bike he already had a hold on would fall of and be hurt...

Too risky. Besides, he figured one of those other guys would have a handle on it. Well, Samaritan hoped. He still wasn't too sure about them. Very strange people, but then again, who was he to judge? He could barely feel the weight of the bike...Probably less than a ton. He was certain he could lift about ten of those, but Dexter'd never tested it.

He said he was sorry and told them he wanted to talk them for a little bit. And they said... nothing. Samaritan gave them a few moments, if only to get over their shock. Honestly, one could forget about stuff like that. Give them time, their whole understanding of what power was had just been changed. And there was no glow about Samaritan like there was about Celestial. No cybernetics like Shrike. No huge, bulky muscles like every other super-strong individual in the media (there were a lot of those when you stopped to count, which Dexter had done one week a few months ago). Just someone who could move faster than could be believe, out-run a motorcycle, stop it, and lift it off the ground with barely an ounce of effort. To be honest, Samaritan couldn't blame them. He wouldn't have believed it himself - they were lucky he hadn't messed it up. That could have gone horribly wrong if he had.

"So, I take it by your silence and agape mouths that you'll give me a moment of your time?" Samaritan asked politely, that handsome half-smile ever present on his face. He tried not to stare too much at them, especially the girl sitting behind the racer. Instead, he glanced about, searching for the man in the green martial arts costume with the dragon on his chest. Shouldn't have been too hard to find him...


Yeah, Samaritan's going to wait for an answer. If yes, he be saying "Good, there's this man with a dragon on his chest who wants to talk to you" and walking over to Dragon's Breath (Samaritan never really did catch his hero name), carrying the bike. Unless they do something else...

Praetorian Guard
10-27-2014, 03:19 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


The suit turns Dragon's Breath, a cool eyebrow lifting <<Jook-sing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jook-sing), speak a decent tongue or leave.>> and smirks, "No speak Engrish." with an overplayed accent, and flicks his cigarette in your direction before turning back to the group with a casual ease.

Jiao regarded the man carefully, the way he was holding himself was manufactured, he was cautious and closed. Closed enough that Jiao couldn't tell the manner of his training, but he was confident. In his native Cantonese Jiao spoke with the man, <<Assumptions are like playing with fire,>> as he spoke he plucked the cigarette butt out of the air as if it was standing still, <<one day doing so will leave a man burnt.>> He summoned his chi, the scale's of the dragon tattoo that wrapped over his shoulder and arm shimmered as the cigarette butt turned to ash and char that blew from his grip on the breeze.

To his right he saw the commotion on the on-ramp, the young man had both stopped the forward momentum of Kim-ja's custom Sohei and lifted it with both riders still clinging to it's frame, even though he had little to no leverage to do so. He nodded his approval towards the Samaritan, and then turned his attention back to the 'suit'.

<<I am the Dragon's Breath, and who are you that would sow discord, and disrupt the harmony of this community?>>

CaptainChaos
10-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Celestial

Kate was cruising along, following the unknown person. The person she had been pursuing had glanced along the wall heading straight up. Kate had been just as impressed at that feat as the crowd below and wasn't paying as much attention as to where she was heading as she should have been. Her attention was so focused on the pursuit that she nearly didn't see the all suddenly appear in front of her.
Where the hell did that come from?

She shifted she body almost too late. While she didn't smash headfirst into the wall, it wasn't exactly her finest moment. Instead of a near miss, her body scraped the side of the wall on the way up for several yards before she was able to pull back slightly. She hoped the crowd below thought it was on purpose.


Flight+Agility and Persuasion rolls in order = 1d20+9=18, 1d20+7=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4694967/)

Spectrum
10-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Samaritan

The man is about to open his mouth, his face turning red, his hands tightening around the handlebars. This could get very messy very quickly. Not that he's likely able to do anything, but he'd splatter so very easily if you weren't careful in restraining him.

The woman is only a second behind, slipping into a more comfortable smile, apparently more comfortable with handling difficult situations. A comforting hand is placed upon her brother's shoulder and the tension leaks out of him in a rush. "I guess we have a moment or two. The race wasn't officially started after all, so would be hard to claim that Kim-ja lost." she offers out a hand over the man's shoulder, "I'm Mia... and the strong and polite man in front of us..?"

Facing off a horde of angry college students and yuppies at lunch time or dealing with someone who just lifted you, your brother and his motorcycle with one hand.. hard to say which is easier to handle.

Spectrum
10-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Dragon's Breath

The 'suit' turns back, amused that you're still here. <<You should really listen to yourself sometime. You sound like you're from one of the bad martial arts soap operas. Do I look like the evil eunuch to you plotting to take control of the emperor? No, don't answer that, I really don't want to know. You're not my type.>> He casually and possessively slip an arm around one of the waitresses from the Golden Phoenix. <<I am Dong Tie He (Iron Crane). Why do you bother me?>> he waves his hand, <<Get this man sometime to help him relax! He is too serious.>>

Watching him move, he is slippery as a serpent, all circular movements and loose, directing energies away and around rather than meeting them on head.

Spectrum
10-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Celestial


Running total: !Hardcase 3, Celestial 2

The audience winces, a collective owwwww passing through the crowd. There are a couple of laughs though as you put on a comedic rather than untalented act. A high speed bodycheck against a solid wall, not the smartest idea, and is likely to leave a bruise in the morning.

The figure raises a palm to it's face, a mocking shake of it's head. With a shrug, it points at you, giving way to your turn to put on a show.

Whatever you can do, I can do better.
No you can't.

kenmadragon
10-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan's half smiled widened, eyes brightening. Don't stare, he reminded himself, as he decided to look at the hand instead. It was a pretty hand, small like most pretty girls' he had met, and the fingers were painted a shade he couldn't name (never could get a handle of why nail polish was important). And it was oustretched, a handshake. "Sorry, can't shake. Right hand's occupied." he joked, unintentionally reminding the two of how the Samaritan was holding their bike up with only his right hand. "They call me the Samaritan. Now, there's this man with a dragon on his chest who wants to talk to you. Something about gangs and stuff... Sounds like a bad martial arts movie? Know him?" he asked, paying careful attention to their response. Who knows, their reactions and response might give something away about what was going on. It probably wouldn't be much, but it was hard to hide an instinctive reaction from a guy who can perceive things at super-speed. Damn hard trick to pull off, but it happened sometimes...


Insight 24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4695408/) to get a read on the two, a la the Evaluate option of Insight. Not sure if it's really necessary, but hey, who knows what could happen. Rolled pretty well, but then again, I could just be barking up the wrong tree.

Weyrd
10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"I don't need a reason to be out here. It's one of the benefits to being an adult," Grant responds, deflecting their questions. "A benefit that you three don't have the luxury of." Grant notices not exactly the ease, but the familiarity that Mikayla can work the controls of the rideback. It also didn't escape his notice that Fritz referred to the former rider of the machine by name. "How often do you guys come out here?" he asks, eyeing them suspiciously. Before they can answer the crowd starts to ooooh! and awww! at the displays of what seemed to Grant to be a Hardlight wanna-be (although to be honest everyone should want to be him.) Not only was this guy a complete show off, but he was also goading on Celestial. He's totally ripping me off! he thinks. Slightly more annoyed now he addresses the kids once more, "Also throw in the reason why you're coming out here too, and it better be a good one."

IronEden
10-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Shrike

It was obvious that Samaritan had his part of the day's interrogation under control. Watching Kim-Ja's motorcycle get pulled into such a dainty stop was surreal, and it was clear that he'd need no help. Dragon's Breath, on the other hand...He couldn't tell what was being said at this distance, not that he understood Chinese to begin with, but something in the leader of that group's fluid, absurdly confident manner made Shrike uncomfortable. As far as he was concerned, Dragon's Breath was his actual partner here, and so he needed to make sure he came through all of this safely. Shrike put down his camera and slips into a nearby alleyway, where he swings up onto the empty roof of a low-rise motel. There, behind the luminous VACANT sign, Shrike lowers onto his stomach and draws the Arc-Thrower. He didn't expect anything to go wrong, but there's nothing wrong with insurance, either.


1d20+7=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696343/) Stealth Roll. Hopefully distance and the building light help!

CaptainChaos
10-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Celestial

Kate was embarrassed and yet amused at the same time. Here was some unknown person challenging her to a superpowered dance off of sorts. It was a challenge she couldn't resist even if she wanted to. It was if her Celestial personality was taking over. The part of her that craved attention and admiration. It had been such a rush when she saved those people at the convention. It was unlike anything she had ever felt. Now she had a crowd below that was intent on watching this contest. Well, now it was her turn to show what she could do besides bodyslam a wall.

She pulled away from the wall a few feet and surveyed the area. She pondered her next move for a moment before inspiration struck her. Looking directly at her competitor, she blew him a kiss. Then she turned downward and angled towards the gathered racers below. In a flash, she rocketed towards the pavement below, aiming for a small open space in the middle of the crowd. Her heart raced with the exhilaration she felt as the ground rushed towards her at incredible speed. She had to time this just right or else become part of the pavement.


Flight+Agility and Persuasion rolled in order = 1d20+9=21, 1d20+7=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4696479/)

At the last second, she pulled up just enough to zip above the pavement for several yards before zooming upwards. She halted her flight roughly a football field distance above the crowd. A huge smile was evident on her face.

That felt great.

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Samaritan

"Sorry, can't shake. Right hand's occupied." he joked, unintentionally reminding the two of how the Samaritan was holding their bike up with only his right hand.

Mia smiles, a little shake of her head, "You know, you could shake my hand if you put us down?" a quick look at you and then the ground before she offers her hand again in encouragement.

"They call me the Samaritan."

"I'm Mia and this is my brother Kim-ja." but thumps the top of the helmet with her palm, "He tends to be quiet, but this would be a good time to say hello to the nice man.." Well, you can easily tell that this is a woman that's quick on her feet and used to dealing with potentially awkward situations. It's clearly not submission, but it's a clear willingness to be agreeable.

Kim-ja on the other hand lets out a noncommittal grunt, "Hey. You going to put us down? I'd be fun to see if my bike is faster than your flight." The thick riding jacket swallows movements but from the small spots of tension, he's puffing up and trying to take a stronger stance here. Yeah, he's a big dog, but he suddenly realizes that he's facing down a lion and testing against his leash all the same.

"Now, there's this man with a dragon on his chest who wants to talk to you. Something about gangs and stuff... Sounds like a bad martial arts movie? Know him?"

Mia slaps her hand down upon the helmet again, this time with a tiny wince, "Sounds like." she pauses (hiding), "A local hero, Dragon's Breath. An honorable sort but a bit anachronistic. He's up above?"

Kim-ja pauses, a slight nod, "Yeah, I need to talk with him- in private."

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 05:09 PM
Hardlight

Fritz finds the taste of his own foot very enticing, it keeps finding its way into his mouth at the oddest times, "You're'an'adult'so'that'means'that'you'don't'need' reasons'to'do'things?How'does'that'even'work?You'j ust'do'things'and'find'yourself'in'random'places'w ithout'any'reasons?Shouldn'tyou'be'like'in'somewhe re'safe'just'in'case'you'find'yourself'really'dang erous'or'something?" Cue sharp inhalation of breath here. Wheeze!

Jason pauses, "Fritz, you have a point, but.. just.. no. Nooooo." he holds his hands out as a bowl, "Noooo." He turns back to you, keeping one eye on you and the other towards his fostersibs. "Grant, I know we shouldn't be out here. They know it too." he takes a slow breath, "I couldn't talk them out of it." he shrugs his growing shoulders, he's going to be a large man some day, "At least if I was here, I could keep the stupid level down, you know? This is the first time and I'd like to say that they'll get it out of their systems, but I know better." He frowns as he watches Mikayla play, "She's pretty good at it though, isn't she?" he sighs, so much pain there, so much teenage Want.

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Gizmo Girl

With so much going on around you, people seem pretty content to leave you be. If you want to get out and participate in the fun, you'll need to go out there and do something. But yeah, really smart and cool people doing really smart and cool things.

kenmadragon
10-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"That'd be something." Samaritan smiled at the comment about the racer wanting to test if the bike was faster than him. Probably not. If it was, it'd be shielded a lot better than it looked like - Samaritan thought he had lost his hearing when he first tried to go super-sonic. He didn't really register the notion that the man was trying to puff himself up to look tougher. Hard to do that when you were on a bike a man was holding in the air with a single hand. Sure, on the streets, Kim-Ja was probably a tough guy to meet in a dark alley, and could make a man's life miserable if he wanted to. But the Samaritan wasn't one those men.

Putting the bike down as gently as he could, Samaritan continued, "Sounds a lot like him. Good to know he's honorable. Funny name, though. Dragon's Breath... mouthful, isn't it? I was just going to call him Pajama-Man. Or Karate Kid." Then he turned to the two, face a little more serious - though the half-smile never really left. "Still, doubt you'd find much privacy with the guy in that crowd back there... And with me in the room, too." He turned his gaze back to the crowd of people the three had just from from. Part of the Samaritan realized that it was quite a bit to walk, and the other part was still trying to figure out whether to let the racer bike back on his own or not.

Praetorian Guard
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.


<<Get this man sometime to help him relax! He is too serious.>>

Jiao regarded this man carefully, he was a snake in many different ways. As he did he noticed a glint of metal as Shrike concealed himself expertly in the shadowed mouth of a nearby alley. He switched his response to english for Shrike's sake, so he may follow at least one half of the conversation.

"You call me jook-sing for speaking to you in english, when I speak to you in a manner as prescribed by our forefathers, you ask me to relax. You are a man who seeks to appear rooted in both the past, and the present without the conviction to commit to either." Jiao-long paused, taking a step back to clear the area in case the suit ordered the Falcons to attack. He had watched the Falcons train, and knew many of them as Jiao, he was unwilling to injure them but also unwilling to allow this stranger to conduct business that would lead them down a dishonorable path.

"The fact you jest about service to an emperor is almost humorous, considering my lineage. I am here to warn you, that if you wish to conduct affairs with the Jade Falcons on behalf of Doctor Tzin Sing, I will be forced to intervene. If my assumption is incorrect, then I merely wish to speak with Kim-ja, and there is no reason for us to be at odds."

As he waited for the suit's response, he appeared relaxed, his focus diffused taking in the enter scene, his mind like water, his body ready to flow around an attack, or crash over an opponent with overwhelming force.


OOC: SO I can include, or at least allow him to follow the conversation, a perception check to notice Shrike moving into position to back me up. Perception check to spot Shrike covering me from a nearby shadowed alley. (1d20+9=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4697553/) Even with a -5 Circumstance penalty, Jiao should see him and hopefully only Jiao >.<

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Celestial


Running total: Celestial 4, Masked Rider 5
Acrobatics/Persuasion: 1d20+15=23, 1d20+15=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4697548/)
There are a couple of places that you can take action, feel free to slip something in there.


Your swandive to the concrete brings you so close to the ground. People take a step back, wincing.. cringing.. and then ooohing as you don't slam into an entire crowd of people. That took guts, that took daring, that took skill.

The eyes are on you, even those of the masked rider. However, instead of oohing and ahhhing, the Mask Rider goes into a slow mocking clap. Jerk! How dare he not show proper appreciation?!

Blowing a double handed kiss of his own, he falls backwards off of his board, his ankle tether goes tight but without the proper controls, it just pulls the board down into the freefall. Down and down and down he goes.. why would he do something so foolish? It isn't the drop that kills you, it's the sudden deceleration at the end.

He doesn't come quite as close to the ground as you before he shifts his weight, reaching up for the board and taking control back and flying up again, a little bit more clumsy and certainly more daring. The board flies up up up.. but you're still higher when the climb stops. A sign of weakness? One that could be exploited?

The Masked Rider makes a quick gesture, conceding the point. He soon takes off again, headed towards the columned front of the nearby lodging suit, passing right under Shrike.

Starting at one end of the beginning and speeding towards the other, he shifts the board from side to side, cutting it close as he threads back and forth between the columns.


Acrobatics/Persuasion: 1d20+15=19, 1d20+15=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4697568/)

Back and forth, back and forth and.. spilling out across the ground, head over heels, the board flying randomly behind him. Oh yeah, that has got to hurt.

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Samaritan

Mia mouths, "Pajama-Man? I think that I would have to kiss you if you said that to the Dragon's Breath." Kim-ja peeeeers back at his sister. "So maybe it would be better if you didn't. What, can't I tease? I think that he's just annoyed that you made him loose that race before it even started. He's been pushing for that one for a while." she tsks, "If it would make you feel better, how about I walk back up with you while Kim-ja drives up to meet with this Dragon's Breath fellow?" She offers a dainty hand for you to help her off of the bike, her long legs coiling and uncoiling to the side as she prepares for you to take her up on her offer.

Spectrum
10-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Dragon's Breath

Dong Tie He sneers, <<You are a man trapped in the past when you live in the present. Cold. Stale. I am a man of the present with an eye towards the future.>> he takes a step back, circling around so that he can keep both of you in sight. There is a moment of hesitation, a flash of quickly dispelled recognition, <<My business here has nothing to do with a Doctor Tzin Sing. I will not say more than that, my business is my own, as is my relationship with Kim-ja and his friends. Kim-ja is his own man, I will not support or interfere with you speaking to him. It is his decision.>>

He turns again, the serpent swinging his tail, <<If fact, here he comes now.>>

kenmadragon
10-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan rubbed the back of his head, a little embarrassed. A little nervous laugh escaped him involuntarily. "Well, if the lady insists." he said courteously, not really sure how to react to when a pretty girl (especially one who looked as pretty as Mia and was dressed as she was) was playfully teasing him. Was that flirting? He wasn't actually sure - girls seemed to tease guys a lot. As Michael and Charles would always tell Dexter: women worked in mysterious ways. So Samaritan fell back on what he figured was the best option - good old fashioned chivalry. Walking around the front of the bike, Samaritan extended a hand, palm open upwards, for the young lady on the back of the bike to take to assist in getting off the bike. Hey, it may be old fashioned, out dated, and simply inconsequential in these modern times, but Chivalry Isn't Dead, Damnit!

"Though, I do have to say, I will be there when you meet Paja-er, Dragon's Breath. If only to see whether the man was right or not." the Samaritan said to Kim-Ja, still on the bike. "It isn't a request."

Psistrike
10-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Gizmo Girl
As she continued to listen to the conversation between Samaritan and the two on the bike, it took all she had not to outright ogle the girl in the skimpy outfit. If I didn't have a girlfriend already... she thought to herself, almost biting her bottom lip in frustration as she continued to follow them. With so many things going on and potential threats which could be around them, she wasn't leaving this guy alone for a minute, even if she really wanted to check out more of the tech in the area and talk to some people. Patience, like her mother always was reminding her.

Weyrd
10-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Hardlight
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

"Yeah, I do have to give her that," Hardlight says in response to Jason's observations of Mikayla's skill. "However, as Fritz so kindly pointed out, it can be dangerous out here. Especially for a group of young kids out on their own. Now I'm meeting some friends out here...yes Fritz, I have friends I just don't talk about them much, so I can't watch over you. So if you promise to let me get you a cab AND you go straight home in it...then I'll promise to sneak you out and bring you back here at a later date when I can be your chaperone. Deal?" Grant was itching to get back to the action. Celestial and the mysterious rider were getting more...friendly with their competition. Did she just blow him a kiss? Alright, I'm offically getting jealous here. He did derive some satisfaction upon seeing the guy crash. He obviously didn't know his limits. The sign of an amateur show-off.

CaptainChaos
10-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Celestial

Kate cringed a bit when her opponent hit the ground. She knew what that felt like. Whoever he was, he had guts. It was her turn now. She flew towards the same building with the intention of successfully doing what her opponent had failed to.


Flight+Agility and Persuasion in order = 1d20+9=16, 1d20+7=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4699025/)

She started her pass between the columns, weaving in and out of the first few with ease. She misjudged the next one and clipped it, sending her tumbling into the building.

Spectrum
10-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Celestial


In these fast days of steam and electricity, mankind, and particularly Young America, have become electrified, and they must “get up and get,” or there is no enjoyment. Live fast and die young is the principle.

As true in 1870 as it is today, after two impressive spills, the audience, for the most part, looses interest. A few people start to move closer, offering words of encouragement and support, a helping hand up. The crowd blocks your view of the Masked Rider and as it clears, the Rider is gone, fleeing the scene and leaving you behind. Not much for words.


Please make two perception rolls before I narrate in some more of that particular segment. You might want to wait for the details before proceeding much further.

CaptainChaos
10-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Celestial


Perception rolls= 1d20+7=15, 1d20+7=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4699066/)

Spectrum
10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Samaritan/ Dragon's Breath

Mia responds well to the chivalry, or at least recognizes it as what it tries to be.. not running anywhere, not trying to escape, just cheerily at your side. "So, Samaritan right? So, do you fly here often? How long have you known Pajamaman?" trying to make general teasing small talk. It's really a bit of a hike up the steep onramp and onto the service road, plenty of time to shoot the breeze about everything and nothing. You really have no trouble with it, after all, you know how a god feels. More surprisingly though, Mia doesn't either.

Kim-ja arches a brow as he looks towards Mia, another shake of his head, a few short sharp words in.. Chinese? before zooming up the ramp and towards the rest of the Jade Falcons are hanging out, bringing the bike to a screeching halt a few inches from Dragon's Breath, "Maaaan, good to see you but.. you sent the flying man after me? Where's the trust?" There's a tight smile on his face though.

Spectrum
10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Celestial

The first part surely isn't very important. It might play a role later, but not likely. For right now it's just owwwww, a shade of embarrassment and the thrill of a good shot of endorphins.

Just barely in your range of vision, you see the Masked Rider in the sky, a bit wobbly on their feet but flying. Another detail, much more difficult to make out, a single thick blonde ponytail hangs out between the helmet and the reinforced collar of the flight jacket.

Spectrum
10-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Hardlight

Jason nods, "Thanks man, we appreciate looking out for us." he raises his hand in a fistbump as he looks over the crowd, "Shi..." and immediately blushes before he completes the word, "Yeah, things are pretty wild around here. We were planning on just grabbing the last bus tonight, but a cab would be cooler.. and safer, right?" he tries on a few more words, "Thanks bro."

Mikayla isn't great.. yet, but she's quickly picking up on how to work with the rideback. That girl, Rin? Must be something really special if she's able to do the dance you saw before. Then again, maybe with inventing it comes a certain familiarity? She doesn't look like a wrench wench though.

kenmadragon
10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Looking at her, Samaritan noticed that despite her attire and the steep incline, Mia didn't seem to be having much trouble with the walk so far. And in those heels, too. Guess she was of sturdier stock than her figure had hinted to. Or at least, was really good at hiding the discomfort.

"Oh, not really." he answered sincerely. Wasn't far from the truth. The Samaritan had been around - he'd even visited some foreign countries and various exotic locales while testing out his abilities one weekend. Dexter's parents had been told he was at a sleep-over at a friends, but given that said friend happened to cancel at the last minute, and his parent's didn't know about the cancel, Dexter had taken advantage of the oppurtunity to travel. That weekend was also the weekend he learned he could break the sound barrier if he pushed himself, and also learned about how pissy governments around the world get about unknown objects flying through their airspace without warning. Missiles hurt. But, he'd never just tell a girl about any of that. "I've been around." Samaritan said instead, a little coy.

"Besides, haven't known Pajama-Man that long. I'm here to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid..." he says off handedly. That was when he remembered. "And I need to be there when he talks to your brother so they don't... Shit."

Praetorian Guard
10-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: One.

Jiao knew full well that Kim-ja had complete control over his vehicle, he had seen the man race, he didn't flinch as the drive wheel swung around and Kim-ja acknowledged him with his trademark swagger. He knew he was walking a delicate line, Dong Tie He seemed to have the respect of some of the Falcon's, Kim was pulling back from Uncle Wei in favor of Tie-He's more lucrative opportunities.

He trusted that his reputation, and the respect the Falcon's had for their leader would afford him the privacy he needed to advise Kim-ja of the perils of entering business with Dong Tie He. "I wished to speak with you, in regards to your relationship with that man," Jiao nodded towards Dong Tie He, "I understand your frustration with Master Wei, but I warn you, men like Dong Tie swarm in Hong Kong. They attract young men, men like yourself, men with potential, and they use them up Kim, they have them do their dirty work, turn them down a path of dishonor and shame and discard them before moving on to another."

Jiao looked into Kim's eyes hoping his sincerity would break through Kim's rebellious streak. "Kim, I have helped the Falcons before, and will do so again, but I do not want to have to rescue Mia from the clutches of some business man she has been sold to to settle the debts you will incur to a man like Dong Tie He."

Weyrd
10-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Hardlight
HP: 2, Condition: Normal

Grant whips out his phone and calls for a cab, he has to promise a generous tip to get one to come to this neighborhood though. Hanging up the phone he calls out to Mikayla, "You have until the cab gets here, then you're getting off and going home!" Looking over to Rin he says, "Interesting piece of tech there. You were very familiar and graceful with it earlier, did you build it?

CaptainChaos
11-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Celestial

It had not been her best performance but it had been exciting. She felt exhilarated and was on cloud nine. As Kate stood there for a moment watching the mysterious maskec rider fly away a little unsteadily. It gave her a small amount of satisfaction to note they were hurting as much as she was. She was still unsure if they were male or female and she supposed it didn't really matter. Seeing the blond ponytail didn't help clarify the mystery either. She had the feeling they would run into each other again.

As soon as the rider was out of sight, she flew over to rejoin the others among the crowd. She did not immediately see Hardlight but he could have gone chasing one of the bikes.

Spectrum
11-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Scenes in a crowd

Mia smiles back to Samaritan, "I think that I can make the rest of the walk by myself if you really need to go take care of that." she pauses, "Just come by the Golden Phoenix sometime? I'm there most of the time." like all the time, she really needs to get a cot in the back and live there. What was the usual way of flirting with superheroes anyway? Exchanging phone numbers seemed inappropriate, but.. With a roll of her eyes she watches the interaction between her brother and Dragon's Breath sensing that this could get very awkward very quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I wished to speak with you, in regards to your relationship with that man," Jiao nodded towards Dong Tie He, "I understand your frustration with Master Wei, but I warn you, men like Dong Tie swarm in Hong Kong. They attract young men, men like yourself, men with potential, and they use them up Kim, they have them do their dirty work, turn them down a path of dishonor and shame and discard them before moving on to another."

Kim-ja pauses and nods, "We're going for a walk guys, you don't need to follow." and starts to step away, very aggressively shoving his hands into his pockets as he tries to find somewhere quiet but it's coming off more defensively. "I needed to talk with you and just the two of us would have been fine." he glances over his shoulder at the group, "Why did you bring the rest of the underwear on the outside group?" he shakes his head, "Just making it harder. Things are getting really serious, really fast. Maybe you and uncle are right and that this is a bad deal, but I've got to do something, you know? I've got to take care of my guys and Mia. Working for Uncle Wei isn't the answer." With a steady look in your eyes, "You're on that list too, but you're in a better position to take care of yourself if things get bad." he clenches his jaw, "Sometimes you've got to make what chances you can."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miss Rin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1TUMUfFxY) smiles prettily back, "No, Fuego found me a few months ago and it's wonderful, we complete each other." she blushes, pulling her hair out of her eyes, "Sometimes things are meant to be before you even realize it." As you watch her, you notice that she's favoring her right leg, very little weight on it as she stands. She looks away, most definitely 'not' looking at you every time you look towards her, her smile growing a little more as she starts to get comfortable. "So, they really look up to you."

CaptainChaos
11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Celestial

As Celestial walked among the crowd, she tried to get a good look at the people gathered. Some had left, probably due to the large gathering of costumed individuals. She still didn''t see Hardlight but that wasn't a major concern at the moment. She noted that many of the women here were quite attractive. She wondered if it was a requirement to attend these types of events.

Some of the people were politely ignoring her. Most likely due to her poor showing during the contest with the mysterious rider. It made her wish she had gone off to change before returning. A few people looked familiar, particularly an attractive young woman. She thought it might have been the same one that had performed on the bike earlier.


Posting from my tablet so I am unable to link to my roll. Expertise: Reporting/Journalism 1d20+10=11

Praetorian Guard
11-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.


"I needed to talk with you and just the two of us would have been fine." he glances over his shoulder at the group, "Why did you bring the rest of the underwear on the outside group?" he shakes his head, "Just making it harder. Things are getting really serious, really fast. Maybe you and uncle are right and that this is a bad deal, but I've got to do something, you know? I've got to take care of my guys and Mia. Working for Uncle Wei isn't the answer." With a steady look in your eyes, "You're on that list too, but you're in a better position to take care of yourself if things get bad." he clenches his jaw, "Sometimes you've got to make what chances you can."

Jiao nodded as Kim-ja spoke, he heard the sincerity in his voice, and he understood his desperation to a point. "You are correct Kim-ja, and I apologize for my words in front of the other Falcons. But you need to understand, if you agree to work with this Dong Tie He, I know the men he represents, and they would as soon sell Mia as a courtesan, than to allow you the opportunity to earn the status and respect that you crave." As he spoke Jiao kept pace with Kim, he sighed sas he continued, "I do not know the answer Kim-ja, but I know that if you choose to walk the path that Tie He presents to you, your path and mine may cross. Master Wei may not be the answer, but the man cares for you Kim-ja, in his own way, and he is concerned that if you proceed down this path, you will dishonor the Falcons, your sister, and ultimately yourself."


OOC: Still no persuasion, but I will continue to try to convince Kim-ja that he isn't going to be able to pull himself out of the hole that he is walking into. Also, spent my P.P. on the Expertise, and switched the point from Stealth, I left it as Int based as it ultimately made the most sense.

kenmadragon
11-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"I..." Samaritan hesitated, following her gaze to the two who had stepped out of the crowd to talk someplace privately. You can't really hear people at that distance normally, but Samaritan could hear their voices. But even for his superior senses, he couldn't make them out completely without focusing on trying to hear them. And there was a pretty girl right next to him. "If you're right about the honor of Dragon's Breath, then there should be nothing to worry about." he figured. Besides, it wasn't like he could just leave a pretty slip of a young woman like Mia on her own on the road near such a crowd. Granted, she seemed to be a biker gang leader's sister which might afford her some modicum of protection, but there was something in Samaritan that told him that he ought to stick with her and make certain of it. Besides, she hadn't lied to him yet and had a smart head on her - if Dragon's Breath was as honorable as she said... Samaritan guessed he would have to wait and see to be sure.

"And what's the Golden Phoenix?" he asked sincerely and conversationally.


didn't Jiao/Kim go looking for someplace 'private' to talk? If it's a dc 10 to hear a conversation, he could make that perception routinely up to a distance of 500 ft.

Spectrum
11-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Celestial

As your eye drifts, indeed there is a lot of gorgeous people here (men and women), full of people that might expect to walk off of a Hollywood set. But like any other place, you have a lot of very average people and a few really ugly people. It's a pretty good spectrum of the population of Neotropolis, racers and rivethead, techies and the tres chic.

As far as Rin goes; she doesn't look familiar, some of her moves upon the rideback did. With a little research you could look her up, but it's not exactly within your normal scope and purview. You've heard of a few other ridebacks, mostly in relation to special forces operations. Nothing really linking the two on the surface.

Samaritan

Mia smiles back, "The Golden Phoenix is over on *engine noise* and *horn beeps* streets. It's a Chinese restaurant. Really good stuff, really fresh and authentic." she blows a bang out of her eyes. With a small frown, "Dragon's Breath is really.. classical but he's good for the area. He really steps out of one of those Hong Kong wuxai movies."

Hearing the conversation is easy, you can tell where the guys are. Understanding them is a lot more difficult though. While the distance doesn't mean as much, there is still background noise. A lot of background noise. It's a little like trying to eavesdrop on a conversation at a frat party. From the tones though, the two men are keeping it civil, strained at times, but civil.


Without a roll, you'll get the high level but nuances will be missed. In general I assume routine checks (10+skill).

Dragon's Breath

Kim-ja tightens his jaw, a quick annoyed look at you, "There were reasons that I wanted to talk to you in private. You're full of ancient wushu bullshit, but you're not actually telling me anything that I don't already know. I don't have time for this right now." He throws his hands up and starts to saunter away, "I've heard enough!" loud enough for his guys to hear as he stalks away. A very mixed signal there but he knows where he can find you. Hopefully he'll decide to.

kenmadragon
11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"That he does. Like... what's his name from Crouching Tiger.... Li Mu Bai?" Samaritan said conversationally. He could hear their voices from here - but he wasn't focusing on the voices. He certainly could, but that would be rude to Mia, the pretty young woman walking with him. From what he had been told, girls could hold a grudge for things like that, and were very harsh about it. "He doesn't fly, does he? I saw him leap distances normal people shouldn't, but flying around, swinging swords and shouting like some Jackie Chan movie? He really does that?" The young paragon seemed almost amused at the concept. Granted, he understood she meant the style of man, rather than the actual capabilities, but who knew? Samaritan's strength was almost herculean at times, and he was literally bullet-proof. Still, he had to wonder about the character of the man, Dragon's Breath. A guy out of a classic... would his philosophy really hold in the modern day? Would it hold in a modern city like Neotropolis?

Time would only tell, Samaritan figured.


Routine perception works for me. Wouldn't be wise to appear distracted when speaking to a pretty girl, would it?

Praetorian Guard
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.


He throws his hands up and starts to saunter away, "I've heard enough!" loud enough for his guys to hear as he stalks away.

Jiao watched Kim stalk away, he felt as though his spirit had broken, he had been trying to talk Kim-ja out of walking this dangerous path speaking as Master Shi Xing Shien did, in riddles and half truths. His shoulders slumped and he spoke softly, hoping that Kim was still within earshot, "Dong Tie He and men like him took my sister from me, they tried to take me too. They warped her, corrupted her, perverted her, made her a killer, they intended the same for me." He watched his back, hoping he would stop, would turn, would listen. "That Wuxia you think is such bullshit saved me Kim, it taught me honor, respect, the value of family and friendship. The Falcons are your family Kim, I sincerely hope you lead them down the right path."

Jiao-long spent a moment to center himself and bring his emotions under control. After he did so, he leapt quickly to a nearby fire escape and vaulted up towards the roof, crouched there looking out over the crowd chastising himself for failing Kim-ja.

Spectrum
11-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Mia curses in annoyance in Mandarin, while not a word is understood, it's.. something that nice girls shouldn't say. She pauses, smiling sweetly towards Samaritan, "Can I have a raincheck on this conversation? I need to go.. now." her voice tightens in displeasure. While she's good at putting on an air of easy going fun it drops away as she prowls towards her brother. Her voice very soft and very intent that you can't help but listen carefully if you're going to understand a single word of it and you will understand every single word of it. While she doesn't exactly grab Kim-ja by the ear, she very easily collects him. A cute wave towards Samaritan and Dragon's Breath as they get ready to take off. The rest of the pack looks at each other with knowing grins.

Jiao-long, you've probably seen this once, maybe twice before. Surprisingly, both her brother and Uncle have been treated this way when they've been acting really stupidly. Mia just has a way about her sometimes. If Mia isn't happy, nobody's happy.

kenmadragon
11-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

"Uh, sure..." Samaritan said as Mia excused herself to hurry and chastise her brother. Older brother, too, by the looks of it. She didn't seem any more than a year older than Samaritan - he'd placed her at around eighteen or nineteen, and Dexter's birthday was coming up soon too. Couple of weeks away, he noted to himself, though the detail wasn't important now. He could tell from the way she muttered the words in Chinese (he could never tell whether someone was speaking Mandarin or Cantonese - just that it wasn't English) that she wasn't very happy with the biker's angry exclamation and storming off. Seemed like things had gotten more heated than Samaritan had been able to hear. While he wasn't too clear on the specifics, it seemed to be that Kim-Ja didn't like what Dragon's Breath was saying and trying to disregard it. Or something else, but it didn't look like Mia was very happy.

At the wave from Mia, Samaritan gave her an unsure half-smile as he waved back a little. As the other biker gang members grinned at each other, preparing to take off, Samaritan knew that the conversation was over, and that he needed to know what exactly had happened - didn't need to tell the man he'd heard most of it, but perhaps Dragon's Breath could clear up what he didn't hear.

In less than a blink of an eye, Samaritan was standing right next to the Pajama-Man with a dragon on his chest, one eyebrow raised expectantly. "Well, what happened? I stop the racer for you, you talk, he storms off angry. Am I missing something here?" he asked, knowing fully well that while he'd heard the words that had been spoken loudly (or shouted at times, in Kim-Ja's case), he needed to hear the truth from Dragon's Breath's own mouth. And if the pretty young woman who had been dressed far to little for the chill had been truthful, then Dragon's Breath wouldn't lie.

Praetorian Guard
11-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.

Jiao watched as Mia stalked off with her brother, the flying man was now hovering behind him and to his right. "Thank you for allowing me to speak with him, unfortunately my words were of little use." Jiao sighed feeling as though he had somehow failed, "He now walks a path of his own choosing, with men who would make him both a criminal and a murderer."

He straightened his shoulders and regarded the young man who hovered above him, while athletic in stature, his body gave no hint of the incredible strength that he possessed. "You talked earlier of heroes, unfortunately the only heroes I know are long since departed. Still it is something to strive towards, and the attempt is what makes us who and what we are." He paused and remembered what he had said when they were first above the rooftop above the Golden Phoenix. "You had mentioned earlier this evening that you had encountered racoons wielding weapons?" Again Jiao-long paused, as he tried to remember the myths he had heard in the City of the Seven Celestial Gates, "I believe they are called tanuki in Japanese, though that story was imported to the isles from the courts of the Mandarin. They are supernatural spirits, shapeshifters, tricksters, both mischievous and dangerous."

Psistrike
11-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Gizmo Girl
Cindy kept following Samaritan and Mia silently, listening in and keeping her senses open for any trouble, while also shocked that things were spiraling out of control. Dragon's Breath, as she overhead the kung fu guy called, had tried to talk his friends out of something bad but it hadn't worked out. But the part about the raccoons, that didn't sound anything like the creatures they encountered the other day. "Sorry to interrupt but I was there when the raccoons showed up. They wielded guns and spoke in animal chatter, they seemed more like some form of uplifted animals using technology to give them human intelligence than shapeshifters or spirits of any sorts. They were desperate and stealing food, waving guns around. Which even for this city is unusual, so either one of the technology firms is up to something and keeping things under wraps or there is something more sinister going on." she said calmly, hoping she hadn't annoyed the flying guy again by talking too much.

Spectrum
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Thinking about where Samaritan and Gadget Girl (and thus the racoons) met, there are a couple of possibilities.

The city of Neotropolis has attempted, with varying levels of success, to keep small green zones scattered throughout the area. In fact, the neighborhood that you were in is classified as mixed use- brownstones mixed in with small boutique techstartups and small retail. It's being sold as a place to live and work. The biggest of the green zones near there is the Arcadian Heights park. It is known for its somewhat hidden faerie touches, small statues of fanciful beings. A small creek also flows through it.

Going in the other direction is the far smellier Flowering Fronds waste reclamation. It's been treated as a city dump for about as Neotropolis has been around (a few decades) and is a popular place for politicians to rally against to clean up the city. Unfortunately, several news stories about illegal dumping by Science!tists give the empty promises a little more weight with voters at election time.

IronEden
11-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Shrike

Shrike could see that Dragon's Breath's conversations hadn't gone well, but he was glad to see that nobody was bleeding. He slid his gun under his coat and came down from the roof where he'd been waiting to join Samaritan, Gizmo Girl, and Dragon's Breath.

"Hey," he said as he approached. "Looks like things got a little personal down there. I, uh-" He wasn't sure how to comfort a superhero. "I'm sorry about that, you know? It isn't easy to watch your friends, sometimes. Did you learn anything, though? About the upcoming job at the University?"

He wasn't sure what Gizmo Girl was talking about, with the raccoons, but if high-profile technology firms were involved, it was probably worth listening to.

Weyrd
11-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Hardlight
HP: 2, Condition: Normal


Scenes in a crowd

Miss Rin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1TUMUfFxY) smiles prettily back, "No, Fuego found me a few months ago and it's wonderful, we complete each other." she blushes, pulling her hair out of her eyes, "Sometimes things are meant to be before you even realize it." As you watch her, you notice that she's favoring her right leg, very little weight on it as she stands. She looks away, most definitely 'not' looking at you every time you look towards her, her smile growing a little more as she starts to get comfortable. "So, they really look up to you."

"Yeah, but don't hold that against them. They're young and don't know any better," Grant replies with a roguish smile. "Although, from some of the looks they've been giving you, it seems like I may have some competition for their admiration. Not that I could blame them though. So do you and Fuego often come to this neck of the woods to give off exhibitions?" It was a perfectly legitimate question, although the way Grant asked it made it sound more like a pick-up line. He wouldn't be able to return to the scene as Hardlight until the cab arrived for the kids, so he might as well make the most of the situation.

Spectrum
11-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Hardlight

Rin looks back away, watching Mikeyla totter around. "No. This is my second time here. I mostly ride around the University." she pauses, a slight frown, a tight gulp as she clears her throat, "Can you please ask her to get off of Fuego?" her fingers twitching in a nervous way.

Spectrum
11-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Getting things moving again..

The group parts ways with an agreement to meet back up at the original 'meeting' place if any more information becomes available. It's a bit tricky when you have secret identities to have a way of communicating otherwise. Ways can be arranged but not on such short notice- maybe for next time.

Dragon's Breath

You've been long trained to be an early riser, the sun being a lazy good for nothing that stays in bed too long. The polite but rather insistent knock on your door manages to somehow be early even for you, waking you from a particularly nice dream.

*knock knock knock*

A moment later.

*kn-kn-knock knock*

When you look outside, Mia is standing there, nicely dressed and with an intent look in her eyes. Kim-ja stands next to her, looking more like a monkey in an ill fitting suit with a large white box and cups of coffee balanced atop.

Gizmo Girl

Maria sleeps beautifully beside you, looking so perfect and innocent.

That noise comes again, coming from the hallway- next door?

Biometrics not recognized. Please step away from the door. If you do not comply in 20 seconds, the police will be notified. 20.. 19...

The neighbor that way.. a mousy little girl always dressing and acting to hide herself? To not be noticed? Don't notice me, I'm nobody?

Praetorian Guard
11-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.

Jiao woke quickly at the insistent knocking. After the disastrous meeting with Kim-ja and the Falcons, he had gone on patrol ultimately stopping by Emma and Ariel's apartment when he noticed the lights on. He had spoken at length with Ariel, talking of his past, and inquiring of hers, her family, and her childhood. He had to take his leave as Emma returned home and had not gotten to bed until the skies were beginning to lighten.

He shook his head and swung his legs off of his futon, he was wearing a pair of drawstring pants, he quickly gathered up a hoodie hanging across a nearby table and drew it over his head covering his tattoo and answered the door. As the door opened and revealed both Mia and Kim-ja he blinked the sleep out of his eyes and stifled a yawn. As he did so the bitter scent of coffee reached his nose and made him realize he hadn't eaten anything since late yesterday afternoon.

"Mia? Kim-ja? How can I help you?" He raised a hand to stifle another yawn, I'm, uhhh, sorry I had some deliveries last night, after our little meeting." He opened the door wider, "Mmmm, what have you got there?"

Spectrum
11-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Mia smiles back, the late rising sun in her smile. She pauses, a touch of confusion there before she pushes on, "I thought that after the disaster last night, we'd bring you breakfast." her tone turns more stern, "And an apology for the unforgivable rudeness. It is not much, but it is an whole hearted attempt to make things right again." She flashes a sharp glare towards her brother.

Kim-ja grumbles unhappily and thrusts the white cardboard box towards you, "Sorry about last night man." halfhearted at most.

Mia draws a hand up for a knucklepunch into Kim-ja bicep, "And actually mean it."

It earns her a glare, "My most.. humble? apologizes at my offense?" not much better.

kenmadragon
11-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Samaritan
HP: 1

Samaritan gave Dragon's Breath an understanding nod. Everyone had their inspirations. Their aspirations. A standard to live up to. Sometimes, one's goals were attainable by man.

Sometimes, you just had to be a super man.

Shaking his head with a laughing smile, the Samaritan simply chuckled at the tech-savvy woman's firm statement that there was nothing supernatural about the raccoons and that they were instead some manner of sinister criminal plot by a tech company. Granted, she was probably right, but there really was a better way of saying it. Which made it funny that for someone who touted herself as a genius (as she had said several times before) would choose such a manner of doing so. Perhaps there was something in the nature of genius to be grating. Which was strange since Dexter's father was actually quite personable, and he was a genius.

After agreeing to meet on the roof they had all originally met upon if something came up, Samaritan soared off. Dragon's Breath's words were still stuck in his mind. The night's air greeted him gladly as he flew. Beneath him the city breathed in it's own way. The swirl of color... of life!

Ah...

Dexter mumbled an apology as Michael lifted his head from the pillow, a groggy query in his eyes as the slumbering man was woken by his roommate's inability to sneak into their dorm room after a long night. As Michael nodded back off to sleep, Dexter stretched silently before changing out of his clothes, throwing them in the hamper as he slipped into more comfortable wear. Clambering over his desk and onto his lofted bed - a process that had now gotten increasingly routine - Dexter crawled under the covers before flipping onto his back to stare at the ceiling, hands behind his head. Yawning from the long day's events behind him, Dexter closed his eyes and let his mind soar as sleep slowly claimed him.

Praetorian Guard
11-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Jiao-long, the Dragon's Breath (http://roninarmy.com/threads/1005-Nobody-Be-a-Hero!-(Builds-and-Setting)?p=35494&viewfull=1#post35494)
Condition: Normal.
Hero Points: Two.

He listened to Kim-ja's half hearted apology, as he did so he stepped into his apartment and clear his satchel and a few things off of a small table. "It's not much but we can sit." As the brother and sister walked into his kitchen area, he sat down with them, holding the cup of coffee in his hands, warming them as he thought. "Listen Kim, it's me who should be apologizing to you. Talking to you about private matters in front of the Falcons. It was disrespectful of me, and I am truly sorry." He paused, making sure that Kim and his sister were listening, "When Uncle Wei and I returned from Hong Kong, I knew nobody in this city, and even though I had my doubts about you, your gang and everything, I saw how much they respected you, and what you did to earn that respect. You showed me a lot about America, and Neotropolis, but you know little of me or my past. I know guys like Doctor Sing, and he uses guys like Dong Tie He to recruit people into his organization, and they are dangerous people Kim." He made sure he emphasized the word, he needed Kim to know where his path would take him if he choose to walk it, "I know because I was born to be one of them, an enforcer, a soldier, a killer, it's what my father wanted for me ... I wanted ... something different."

He took the lid off of the coffee cup and took a small sip, savoring the bitterness on the tip of his tongue, "Now, why don't you tell me what they want you to do, and we can figure a way out of this that would allow you to keep the respect of your Falcons, Uncle Wei to keep his honor, and leave us a way to disrupt whatever Doctor Sing is looking to accomplish."

Psistrike
11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Gizmo Girl

Maria sleeps beautifully beside you, looking so perfect and innocent.

That noise comes again, coming from the hallway- next door?

Biometrics not recognized. Please step away from the door. If you do not comply in 20 seconds, the police will be notified. 20.. 19...

The neighbor that way.. a mousy little girl always dressing and acting to hide herself? To not be noticed? Don't notice me, I'm nobody?
Can't believe I spent another night at Maria's place, wonder how the robots are taking care of the warehouse home while I'm gone? At least I added that new security system for Maria's place after she found out I was Gizmo Girl. she thought to herself as she opened the door enough to peek out. "Yes, can I help you with something?" she asked in a calm voice.

[OOC: Remember, Gizmo Girl normally lives in a warehouse she converted into her private home/lab/workshop. Had to think how to work in the details without her being at her warehouse home.]

CaptainChaos
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Celestial

Kate's body ached when she woke up in the morning. It took her a moment to remember why. Smashing into the side of a building and taking a header into another after hitting a column would put an ordinary person in the hospital. Fortunately she wasn't an ordinary person. Neither was the mysterious masked rider last night.

She mentally recalled the events of the previous day while she started the coffee maker and checked to see what was available for breakfast. First she had the interview with Dr. Wong. That had gone quite well. Much better than she could have imagined. She shook her head at the thought that not only had she asked him out on a date, but he had accepted. He even asked her to join him at the talks. Later she received a call from Dr. Sing with an invite to the talks. To allow herself to think clearly, she had gone out last night and met several other costumed individuals. She wasn't entirely sure if they were all heroes. The kid certainly seemed sincere and a bit corny. He had to be at least a dozen years younger than she was. Hardlight had been there for awhile but disappeared shortly after the group went to check out a gathering of techheads and gangs. Then the rider had shown up and challenged Celestial to a contest. She couldn't resist the challenge and had ultimately been embarassed by the rider. Sure the rider had taken a tumble and looked to have been injured. Possibly a twisted ankle or a sprain. Celestial had crashed twice and this morning Kate was feeling the effects.

She still had to decide who to attend the talks with and someone last night had suggested another rooftop meeting. What a life. Some days her life was about as boring as could be and others days, like yesterday, it was full of excitement.

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Gizmo Girl


Sorry if I overstepped. How much time has Cindy been spending with Maria?

The relationship with Maria was going.. well? On the good side, the woman has so much spirit, so much passion, and is so fun to hang out with. On the other hand there is also an uncomfortable side, endlessly fascinated with Gizmo Girl (at times causing a question of who she is actually dating) and clingy, demanding and curious about every moment away from her, certain that you're being awesome in your alternate identity. She's insanely jealous, not that you're seeing someone else, but that you're being a different you.

In any case, at the neighbor's door isn't the neighbor. It's one of those sights that pushes at the uncanny valley, going from teenage boy's dreamgirl to asking questions of how something like that could be anatomically or structurally possible.

"Please! Please! I'm me! I'm me! Please let me in!' the woman desperately taps on the keypad.

"15... 14...13..."

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Shrike

There is a message, from one of your hacker contacts, on your terminal when you get up the next day.

I thought that you might look into the attached.

It's an internal email from Omikron, very terse and with very little detail, about a shipment of 'parts' being hijacked on its way to Neotropolis. At the time of the memo, the truck and driver were still unaccounted for.

The media will have nothing more on this issue.

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Samaritan

The next morning... not that you really need to sleep all that much, it still feels good, refreshing.

You eventually get around to checking your messaging app and have a few ready for you to receive:
One from Linda Lancaster
One from Ariel Dukes- who?
One from Charles Renoir

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Celestial

It is a beautiful morning, the sun is shining, warm and fresh, the birds singing in delight outside your window. It's the type of morning that encourages you to get out and enjoy it. Do you really need to do any work today?

A few things that are on the list but even then might be skippable, just for one day, right?

First, check messages. After all, who are you if you aren't contactable? It's a bad habit, and one you really need to break, but you've been going out with your phone. It should be in your uniform, but it isn't. Isn't on your work desk either, or the dresser, or.. no, not the bathroom, or the kitchen or really anywhere that it should be. This could be bad.

Spectrum
11-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Dragon's Breath

Mia stays quiet as she carefully places out small treats before both of you, some sort of puffy dough with fruit topping (http://toriavey.com/images/2013/07/Kolaches-29.jpg).

Kim-ja starts with crossing his arms over his chest, his jaw set in defiance, ready to argue back against you. A nod, another nod, the tension leaving his body as you make your point. He was ready for you criticizing him, ready to argue back and assert himself, this is different. He wasn't ready for you to take this direction, being so open and honest, revealing yourself to him.

It takes a moment, popping an entire treat into his mouth, a sip of his coffee. It takes a subtle clearing of Mia's throat before he starts to speak. "I don't know how this Doctor Sing is. Dong Tie He never mentioned him. They might not be connected but, if they are, this is even worse than I thought." he thinks a moment more, not just wasting time, but considering. "We were asked to go a few places, more loud than serious. I think that we're supposed to be a distraction, but I don't know from what. Since that conference thing is that evening, that might be involved. There's also a basketball game but.." he shrugs, "harder to think of why someone would want the police away from there."